Forum Settings
Forums

What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate?

New
Apr 13, 12:38 PM

May 2023
What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? I need to know!

Personally, I've pirated 100% of the anime that I've seen.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 13, 12:40 PM

Dec 2021
I swear this thread is going to turn into a shitshow immediately.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 13, 12:41 PM

Feb 2020
"What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate?"

Over 50%.
Apr 13, 12:44 PM

Oct 2017
My percentage is extremely low. I've only ever really pirated stuff if I couldn't legally access it
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 13, 12:49 PM

Jun 2019
Nearly 100%. I watched the second half of FMAB on Crunchyroll.
Apr 13, 12:49 PM

Feb 2017
Anime 99%
Manga 90%
I've pirated almost every anime I've seen, might've watched a few Ghibli movies on actual streaming services though. I own a few physical manga series but most manga I pirate too. Shounen Jump ones I tend to read on the official website when it's free to do so.
Apr 13, 12:53 PM

Sep 2014
Somewhere between 5-10%.

Some obscure or older anime are nearly impossible to find legally.
Apr 13, 1:00 PM

Apr 2015
99% and I feel no guilt for Corpo's not getting more money.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 13, 1:01 PM
Oct 2019
almost all of it except the shonen big 3 and dragon ball that aired on tv
Apr 13, 1:04 PM
Oct 2014
100%. Even when I have a chance to watch legally (like on Prime which I have) I still pirate it.
Apr 13, 1:06 PM

Jun 2015
Don t answer his questions guys hes a FBI
Read Toriko!
Apr 13, 1:17 PM

Jul 2013
I say about 80% pirated. I watch alot legally streamed anime shows on Funimation btw. The legally streamed shows ~20%, me thinks. Piracy is bad imo. For obvious reasons. But it is a "necessary" evil.
Apr 13, 1:30 PM

Sep 2016
I guess over 99% pirated and less than 1% legally available for free.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 13, 1:30 PM

Oct 2017
Eh IDK probably 90% only because I do watch shows that don't have official streams and I only started really paying for anime a few years ago despite watching less anime. I want to watch more again when I have the time and I just don't have a problem supporting the industry. Plus I do want to watch more just haven't made enough time for anime of late. Which before I get some dumb comments, yeah streaming services are funding a lot of seasonals when you look at the production committees or % of profit from non Japanese sources. IDC if some of you are 100% pirates just tired of the self righteous rationalizations.
Apr 13, 1:46 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to phantom346
Don t answer his questions guys hes a FBI
@phantom346 yep that is correct ;p thanks for the warning.
Apr 13, 1:53 PM

May 2019
like 100% but i did buy some dvds of anime i liked.
Apr 13, 2:17 PM

Oct 2010
when I started watching anime online, I already filled in my mal with roughly 70 anime. That's because animax and some stuff on national tv like db and sailor moon and stuff. So today I have 2100 in my list (which are all pirated), therefore the percentage of pirated anime is 96,7%.
Apr 13, 2:27 PM

Sep 2008
hundred fucking percent. I have blurays though. not by choice.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Apr 13, 2:27 PM

Mar 2019
I believe about 97% because I watched some things on Netflix and Prime Video. (⁠◡⁠ ⁠ω⁠ ⁠◡⁠)
Apr 13, 2:42 PM

Dec 2018
Pretty much everything I watch, especially if there's no official English dub like Major.

Apr 13, 2:49 PM

Aug 2017
100% -if my memory is correct- as it should be.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 13, 3:03 PM

Feb 2021
Nearly 0%, as it should be.

The creators deserve to get paid
Apr 13, 3:11 PM

Dec 2015
Almost 100% as a couple/several stuff I've seen through Netflix.
Apr 13, 3:36 PM

Oct 2020
I used to be a Crunchyroll subscriber, but for some time now I have been watching anime only through piracy and I no longer plan to buy physical manga as they are expensive as fuck (though I still prefer and buy light novels). At first I used to download anime through piracy websites, when I discovered a certain popular anime torrenting website in December 2023 and I have been using it ever since.

I highly recommend people to torrent anime instead of buying them, especially when your option of watching anime legally is through Crunchyroll - which is getting increasily woke. Make sure to use a paid VPN when downloading from torrents to avoid having someone log your IP, especially if you're in Europe or in some authoritarian country in Asia. And speaking of Europe, the EU requested a study about the impacts of piracy in sales. It found out that piracy doesn't harm sales, perhaps it even helps some IPs to do better. Of course they tried to hide it from the public, lol. https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

Remember:

ALWAYS TORRENT AND NEVER PAY FOR ANIME.
Read light novels!
2023 Update: Do NOT read light novels. Regular novels are better. Glory to Haruki Murakami!!!
Apr 13, 3:54 PM

Feb 2021
KietaTeenRomance said:
I highly recommend people to torrent anime instead of buying them, especially when your option of watching anime legally is through Crunchyroll - which is getting increasily woke. Make sure to use a paid VPN when downloading from torrents to avoid having someone log your IP, especially if you're in Europe or in some authoritarian country in Asia. And speaking of Europe, the EU requested a study about the impacts of piracy in sales. It found out that piracy doesn't harm sales, perhaps it even helps some IPs to do better. Of course they tried to hide it from the public, lol
May ask how CR is becoming woke?

Also, you literally have anime co-produced by CR on your favs, which is ironic...
Apr 13, 6:02 PM

Feb 2021
The amount of threads about piracy is increasing that I'm starting to get paranoid you people are the FBIs or something trying to get a hold of a confession.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 13, 6:55 PM

Sep 2018
I watched Naruto, first 700 episodes of One Piece and Bleach on Crunchyroll and a handful of series on the old AnimeLab.
Apr 13, 6:58 PM
Jan 2023
A lot of these threads lately, someone clearly wants data. Government maybe?
Apr 13, 7:05 PM

Mar 2022
Should be around 80% since i am only a teen, thank you muse asia for the 20%
Apr 13, 7:10 PM

Jul 2013
I strongly suspect the OP is a cop. Like someone else said a few posts above. But can anyone actually arrest you for pirating anime? I would wanna know.
Apr 13, 7:34 PM

Mar 2021
Ejrodiew said:

Literally zero percent. I have never really had the need to.

I have had no reason to ever pirate any media entertainment throughout my life. Unlike the Youth of today who have grown up with this culture of entitlement to media entertainment simply because it exists. I actually grew up paying for most of the Anime I have consumed throughout my life, watched it air on TV, had the privilege to see it on the big screen, or was lucky to be able to borrow Anime that other friends owned to consume on physical copies from VHS to DVD at the time. If something was simply out of reach or I couldn't afford to buy something I never felt like I was ever entitled to consume it to begin with.

Now this has nothing to do with not knowing how to do something. I remember when Napster was still a thing and it was extremely easy to suddenly rip music off the internet. I have just been lucky I have never had the real need to resort to piracy because I can actually afford to spend money on the things I enjoy and never had the need to live beyond my own needs to resort to illegal means to obtain anything. Even the few VHS bootlegs I have seen for sale back in the early 90s I have often times shied away from simply because of quality issues and even those weren't free (VHS bootlegs often sold at extremely inflated prices for what amounted to just a cheap re-usable VHS tape sometimes only offering a single Anime episode on it in low-fi quality).

When you have lived a life like I have, spending money on Anime is an extremely cheap hobby compared to the hobbies some of the friends have where they spend tens of thousands of dollars a month on their hobbies and I have been collecting Anime on Official Physical Copies since the early 90s. One friend of mine recently got his flying license and built his own aircraft. Another friend of mine collects Retro cars where the dude owns over 5 custom Camaros from the 70s he has fixed them up to work like new. Another friend of mine owns his own Yacht and goes off Scuba diving at least 4 times a year (This same weirdo also still collects G.I.Joe action figures and sets them up in elaborate battle scenarios. lol).

Compared to a lot of my friends, my hobby collecting Anime is chump change to them. Though I do buy up old broken video game Arcade cabinets to fix up but the most I have ever spent on one was only around $5,000 on a "Freedom Fighter" laserdisc cabinet and ended up selling it for over $10,000 once I got it fixed.

It would be pretty pathetic if a person like me simply resorted to illegal piracy just to avoid paying for something I enjoy. Simply no reason for anyone to live life like some beta when it comes to consuming Anime if one has had an affluent up bringing.
ColourWheelApr 13, 8:40 PM
Apr 13, 7:41 PM

Oct 2023
Less than 1%, but I already know I am not the norm. The last few inquiries on piracy indicate that most active people on MAL are pirates. Honestly these piracy topics are getting old.
Apr 13, 7:52 PM

Mar 2016
Lets say......about 80-85%.
For the rest, I do watched them on legal free streaming platform like muse asia, anione, and Blibli.

Apr 13, 7:59 PM
Jan 2009
All of it. Every single thing.

Well, actually. There was ONE thing I paid for. Back in the day I saw a Fullmetal Alchemist volume 1 DVD on the shelf for $20 (it was on sale) and snatched it up. Came home to realize it only had 4 episodes, of a 50 episode show. For $20...

Yeah, that was when I decided to pirate everything.
Apr 13, 8:06 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to FFandMMfan

Well, actually. There was ONE thing I paid for. Back in the day I saw a Fullmetal Alchemist volume 1 DVD on the shelf for $20 (it was on sale) and snatched it up. Came home to realize it only had 4 episodes, of a 50 episode show. For $20...

@FFandMMfan I got 27 episodes for 250$ and it was gurren lagann (Bandai version) for Fullmetal alchemist I got it at 150$ because I got both seasons who are just repacking of the 8 volumes. Older stuff are expensive and in the case of gurren lagann the Blu Ray rerelease are expensive as hell because it's AoA. Newer stuff are less expensive dal total costed me 260$ and on that I got the season 1 twice(regular and limited edition) who today the price of the limited edition get back my investment.
Apr 13, 8:29 PM

Apr 2015
@FFandMMfan You think 4 episodes for $20 is bad, there are some anime sold in 2 episode volumes for $40 for each volume, ridiculous. Also, pretty telling the "anti-piracy" guy that always pops up here and ends his post with insults, as expected.
TropischApr 13, 8:34 PM
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 13, 9:08 PM

Jun 2007
Around 49.6%, in terms of anime I watched pirated and never bought on disc or rewatched on legitimate streaming. Though that number might fall to around 42-44% if things like hentai, random music videos, one-off spinoffs and specials, and avant-garde / abstract movie shorts are excluded. Contrary to what some may believe, buying discs and/or paying for one or more streaming subscriptions does not place a cosmic/magical barrier that prevents you from pirating or limits you to only what is legally available -- piracy can be a supplement to legitimate consumption, rather than a replacement for it.

KietaTeenRomance said:
And speaking of Europe, the EU requested a study about the impacts of piracy in sales. It found out that piracy doesn't harm sales, perhaps it even helps some IPs to do better. Of course they tried to hide it from the public, lol. https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

Remember:

That EU study doesn't look at the insular world of the anime viewerbase though, where piracy in well-served areas is largely a function of culture-war grievances, and where exposure via piracy leads to pirates spreading misinformation to other prospective customers and telling them to do things like "always torrent and never pay for anime." Which does not exactly help IPs do better.

FFandMMfan said:

Would you agree that anime piracy is a pricing problem, then?
Apr 13, 9:30 PM

Aug 2018
I used to rent anime dvds way back in the good old days. Many years later, I got my money's worth before I let my cruchyroll account expire. But yeah, it's not smart paying when anime is easily available for free. Besides, there's a lot of stuff you just can't find anywhere else.
Apr 13, 9:34 PM

Sep 2018
99% for anime
99% for manga
I own a very few anime in dvd form mostly just censored kids anime like pokemon and digimon which are better watched in japanese.
Apr 13, 9:44 PM

Oct 2020
Reply to Zalis
Around 49.6%, in terms of anime I watched pirated and never bought on disc or rewatched on legitimate streaming. Though that number might fall to around 42-44% if things like hentai, random music videos, one-off spinoffs and specials, and avant-garde / abstract movie shorts are excluded. Contrary to what some may believe, buying discs and/or paying for one or more streaming subscriptions does not place a cosmic/magical barrier that prevents you from pirating or limits you to only what is legally available -- piracy can be a supplement to legitimate consumption, rather than a replacement for it.

KietaTeenRomance said:
And speaking of Europe, the EU requested a study about the impacts of piracy in sales. It found out that piracy doesn't harm sales, perhaps it even helps some IPs to do better. Of course they tried to hide it from the public, lol. https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

Remember:

That EU study doesn't look at the insular world of the anime viewerbase though, where piracy in well-served areas is largely a function of culture-war grievances, and where exposure via piracy leads to pirates spreading misinformation to other prospective customers and telling them to do things like "always torrent and never pay for anime." Which does not exactly help IPs do better.

FFandMMfan said:

Would you agree that anime piracy is a pricing problem, then?
I honestly don't care. I don't think that me signing a Crunchyroll subscription would help the industry, or that me using piracy is harming it. It's hypocritical to say that you're proud that you're helping the anime industry by signing some streaming service while you've never bought an anime blu ray, merch or manga in the Japanese BookWalker or something.

I doubt even 1% of the price of a Crunchyroll signature actually goes to Japan.
Read light novels!
2023 Update: Do NOT read light novels. Regular novels are better. Glory to Haruki Murakami!!!
Apr 13, 9:51 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to FFandMMfan

FFandMMfan said:

Just out of curiosity, were you seriously expecting to get all 51 episodes crammed on a single DVD disc? Typically DVDs only can hold 4.7 gigabytes of data information. Dual-layer DVDs can only hold 8.5 GB of data. Even if they were able to fit all 51 episodes of "Fullmetal Alchemist" on one disc would you seriously even want to buy it like that? The key clue to knowing you weren't getting the entire series was the fact it's advertised as "volume 1" and I personally would have read the back for the details of what to expect before buying it. For a 51 episode Series I would have waited till at least the Complete 1st season was released as a collection and I remember it being sold for around $60 at the mall back in 2009. Either way you purchased a top quality release where each episode would have been roughly around 1 gigabyte each if it was a single layer disc. Even purchasing brand new Home release Blockbuster Movies on DVD at that time were around the same price so I don't know what exactly you were expecting more to get for $20.

I will agree, to physically own media entertainment is likely not cheap for everyone but this is how it has always been. The benefit of legally physically owning something is it's yours forever and sometimes it can even increase in value over time. I still have an unopened copy of 8-bit Nintendo game of "The legend of Zelda" I got as a birthday gift when I was a kid. The reason why it is still un-opened is because I already owned the game at the time and my parents couldn't return it because they didn't have any receipt to do so. So it just stayed boxed up for decades till one day I found it with a bunch of old stuff of mine and found out it's worth tens of thousands of dollars now since it's in great condition still factory sealed. Even if I did remove the factory seal, with the condition it's in, I would still be able to sell it off to any serious collector for a few thousand dollars.

I look at the prices of some modern video games these day and see something being sold for $100 to $120 and think "Fuck no". Yet I am not going to go off and try to illegal pirate the video game, I am simply just not going to play it at all.
ColourWheelApr 13, 10:24 PM
Apr 13, 10:11 PM
Jun 2016
literally all xd, 100%, I have never paid for crunchyroll because their spanish subs are shit, also pirate webs upload the episodes before crunchy
Apr 13, 10:23 PM

Aug 2020
Give or take 80% and decreasing thanks to Muse Asia, Ani-One Asia, and to a lesser extent gundaminfo, Bilibili and POPS Anime Asia. I've also watched those that aren't exactly "pirated" but just non-legally uploaded on yt and Bilibili by seemingly independent non-profitting channels.
Apr 13, 10:30 PM

Jun 2017
Maybe 10%, with 8% from that just being uploads on YouTube.
Apr 13, 10:40 PM

Oct 2016
Nice try Shueishia or Tv Tokyo, you are not getting me alive!
CaptainKenshiroApr 13, 10:47 PM
Apr 14, 1:29 AM

Oct 2022
Reply to ColourWheel
Ejrodiew said:

Literally zero percent. I have never really had the need to.

I have had no reason to ever pirate any media entertainment throughout my life. Unlike the Youth of today who have grown up with this culture of entitlement to media entertainment simply because it exists. I actually grew up paying for most of the Anime I have consumed throughout my life, watched it air on TV, had the privilege to see it on the big screen, or was lucky to be able to borrow Anime that other friends owned to consume on physical copies from VHS to DVD at the time. If something was simply out of reach or I couldn't afford to buy something I never felt like I was ever entitled to consume it to begin with.

Now this has nothing to do with not knowing how to do something. I remember when Napster was still a thing and it was extremely easy to suddenly rip music off the internet. I have just been lucky I have never had the real need to resort to piracy because I can actually afford to spend money on the things I enjoy and never had the need to live beyond my own needs to resort to illegal means to obtain anything. Even the few VHS bootlegs I have seen for sale back in the early 90s I have often times shied away from simply because of quality issues and even those weren't free (VHS bootlegs often sold at extremely inflated prices for what amounted to just a cheap re-usable VHS tape sometimes only offering a single Anime episode on it in low-fi quality).

When you have lived a life like I have, spending money on Anime is an extremely cheap hobby compared to the hobbies some of the friends have where they spend tens of thousands of dollars a month on their hobbies and I have been collecting Anime on Official Physical Copies since the early 90s. One friend of mine recently got his flying license and built his own aircraft. Another friend of mine collects Retro cars where the dude owns over 5 custom Camaros from the 70s he has fixed them up to work like new. Another friend of mine owns his own Yacht and goes off Scuba diving at least 4 times a year (This same weirdo also still collects G.I.Joe action figures and sets them up in elaborate battle scenarios. lol).

Compared to a lot of my friends, my hobby collecting Anime is chump change to them. Though I do buy up old broken video game Arcade cabinets to fix up but the most I have ever spent on one was only around $5,000 on a "Freedom Fighter" laserdisc cabinet and ended up selling it for over $10,000 once I got it fixed.

It would be pretty pathetic if a person like me simply resorted to illegal piracy just to avoid paying for something I enjoy. Simply no reason for anyone to live life like some beta when it comes to consuming Anime if one has had an affluent up bringing.
@ColourWheel To be fair it has nothing to do with feeling "entitlement to media entertainment" it has to do with the fact that it you have the choice between paying for a streaming service or using a piracy site/download for free most people will choose the latter. Especially with how easy and risk free it is. You call that being a "beta" and yet your the one upset that people are getting the same product your paying for free.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Apr 14, 2:35 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@ColourWheel To be fair it has nothing to do with feeling "entitlement to media entertainment" it has to do with the fact that it you have the choice between paying for a streaming service or using a piracy site/download for free most people will choose the latter. Especially with how easy and risk free it is. You call that being a "beta" and yet your the one upset that people are getting the same product your paying for free.
WaffleMaster89 said:

I believe I was simply straight up answering the question the OP was asking. Not even directing my post at you. If you don't like my opinions, that's your problem not mine. Seems to me, mentioning "beta" really triggered you, why else would you waste your time to even reply over something so petty?

Also, you make it out as if there is one choice or another completely ignoring the simple fact Users can completely refrain from resorting to illegally consuming Anime all together. The choices you point out is completely how an entitled person would think, it's totally about a culture of entitlement. Too many Fans of this medium feel simply entitled to anything this medium has to offer despite it's legal availability and/or if they can afford to consume it or not, especially when it's not being legally offered for free to begin with. If that's not an entitled mentality to you then I suggest you go pick up a book on Sociology at the least and read it. Maybe that will help you understand the thoughts and disciplines that define it in this nature. Plus, make no mistake Piracy is illegal.

If I was to ever employ anyone to work for me in the near future, I would never hire someone who would publicly admit they resort to illegal piracy. Even acquaintance I know I tend to be careful around that I know resort to illegal piracy because anyone who is so causal about it will likely even resort to theft as long as they think they can get away with it. Because that's really the psychology behind those who commonly illegally pirate media entertainment. Too many people simply resort to illegal piracy because they don't think they can ever face any any type of consequences for their behavior. If illegal piracy suddenly became an illegal crime punishable by death, I could see people quickly start to rethink about this "beta" habit. lol
ColourWheelApr 14, 3:11 AM
Apr 14, 3:04 AM

Jan 2009
around 60-70% since ive watch a lot of old anime on local tv during the 1990s and early 2000s
Apr 14, 3:17 AM

Nov 2023
I have YouTube to provide my anime content for free. ^_^
But it's so good, I've never known anybody like you
But it's so good, I've never dreamed of nobody like you
And I've heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime
And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine
Apr 14, 3:23 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Pinoffin
I have YouTube to provide my anime content for free. ^_^
@Pinoffin is it full episodes? Because nobody wants to just see short clips or AMVs of anime shows. People wanna see FULL EPISODES OF ANIME.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is your favorite imas secretary?

Shizuna - 1 hour ago

4 by Shizuna »»
59 seconds ago

» Who are your allies in the anime industry/community?

Catalano - 5 hours ago

11 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - Apr 23

25 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» who do you think is the best isekai mc and who is the worst ?

ame - 24 minutes ago

3 by Spunkert »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - Apr 26

39 by Eleben »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.