Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 23, 6:52 PM
Sep 2022
It's cool to see that Maomao made her parents: Lakan and Fengxian together again. But it is sad to see that Maomao and Frieren won't be on my weekdays anymore. No more god-tier anime for stressful weekdays.

9.9/10, god-tier anime (together with Frieren of 2023)
Mar 23, 6:59 PM

Nov 2010
  • The inability that Lakan can't recognize human face worked well in this case; he doesn't mind even if she has bad looking.
  • The dance scene seemed too dramatized direction that is peculiar to old-fashioned anime.
  • It was unfortunate that this show was eclipsed by another big title Frieren.
  • The color palette is too garish. It should be subdued.
Mar 23, 7:23 PM

Jan 2021
Glad to see a father and mother reunited. Gotta say they did a great job of making us dislike this dude only for us to immediately gain sympathy and cheer for him when he meets the woman he loves. MaoMao definitely knows what she did and who he bought haha. We had to have one last moment between Jinshi and Maomao of course and even though its predictable its still really sweet and funny.

I will definitely tune in for season 2. This was a solid 8/10.
Mar 23, 7:43 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
This was one of the few anime that kind of just transcends being an anime with how immersed you can get into it. The best kinds of shows are the ones that get you lost in the story and the characters, and make you forget that you are watching a show.... and indeed Apothecary Diaries is one of those rare cases. Gonna miss it, and am looking forward to more.

9/10

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 23, 8:55 PM
Jun 2012
It has been quite some time since I have looked forward to a new episode from a new series (instead of a sequel).

The story was fresh and very intriguing.
The romantic subtext was done in a way that was believable.
Relationships between characters felt very real.
The openings and endings were both visually and audibly beautiful and unique.
The same can be said for the art and music throughout the show.
The plot lines for the mysteries were not predictable and yet everything made sense once the answer was explained.

I certainly am looking forward to season two next year!
So soon? Yes please!

9.7 out of 10. (I rounded this up for my list submission as you can't select a 9.7)
Mar 23, 8:56 PM

Jun 2023
So excited for season 2. We just need Frieren season 2 as well.
Mar 23, 9:39 PM

Jan 2017
Dang I cried hard seeing Lakan and Maomao mother's reunion. 😭
I really like how Maomao is so mature and fully understand her & her parents situation and how her life came to be although that make her look kinda apathetic at times.
I also love the current relationship between Maomao and Jinshi a lot, even though they are still friends for now and Maomao is yet to fall for him (he's already there though) and I'm super glad and excited that Season 2 will already be next year! Hooray!!! 😍
Mar 23, 9:40 PM

Mar 2007
Let's just say I was holding it in and holding it in but when Lakan saw Fengxian's face and it was the face of the beautiful girl he played Go with, the tears just started falling. Damn, that was some grade A tragic romance getting a happy sad ending, or as Sing Street describes it, the sound of The Cure is Happy-Sad.

That last almost kiss tease between Jinshi and Maomao was also lovely. Can't wait for S2.

Loved everything about this 10/10 anime.
Mar 23, 9:54 PM
Mar 2022
This finale episode was sad but damn. If tables were turned and Lakan had returned earlier to take his wife ahile pregnant with mao mao or he never left at all, I believe he would have been a very charming father.
Sayonara
Kawaii_swanMar 23, 9:59 PM
Mar 23, 10:12 PM

Jul 2016
Loved it!

A 10/10 Xiaomao \(ⓛㅅⓛ)/
Mar 23, 10:32 PM

Nov 2012
I was frustrated at the end, but I knew I would be. Maomao's love of mysteries and she doesn't realize the biggest one is right next to her. He's easy to talk to when he's being immature because they're basically the same damn age! I hoped she'd uncover at least one of Jinshi's secrets. I may start reading this just to find out if my suspicions are correct.

Looking fwd to season 2. 2025 will here soon enough.
Mar 23, 10:37 PM
Sep 2016
Reply to Alfredo-Sauce
So as much of a strategist Lakan is, Fengxian is at the same level (if not more) as Maomao explained how she planned her pregnancy. Also, I thought Lakan was going to buy her out from the get go but I didn't realize he didn't know she was available until Meimei opened the door, nice assist.

Towards the end of this episode I actually thought Maomao was going to kiss Jinshi... until she opened her mouth and asked for the ox bezoar lol (yeah that headbutt was deserved). Anyway, this episode was great and so was this anime as a whole, and I'm looking forward to the 2nd season 👍 9/10
@Alfredo-Sauce Well, in a way Meimei sacrifices her own happiness for her loyalty towards Fengxian tho.

Meimei is the oldest of the princess, she's already very nearing retirement age (for a courtesan), so she needs to be bought out real soon if she wishes to have a stable future (that's just how the society works at that time). Secondly, Meimei is heavily hinted to has a crush towards Lakan as well. Even Lakan knows that if he wants to buy out a courtesan, it has to be Meimei for her own good.

If I'm not mistaken, Maomao's original plan was for Lakan to buy out Meimei as well. As she said, Fengxian is so sick, she doesn't have long to begin with. There's no point in reuniting the two, so it's much better to let Meimei has a better future instead. But Meimei has a different idea. She reunite Lakan and Fengxian instead, ultimately giving out her chance of being bought out by Lakan. Nevertheless, she was still so happy that Fengxian is finally reunited with Lakan.
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Mar 23, 10:43 PM

Dec 2018
An unconventional (thank God) show that was funny, sad, moving, and informative. I can't wait for s2.
Mar 23, 11:09 PM

Aug 2013
What a masterclass series...to have this, Frieren, and Undead Unluck having a knockout run for two cours was a blessing. Definitely cannot wait for this to come back. 10/10
Don't believe the hype.
Mar 23, 11:45 PM
Jan 2024
Jinshi was ready to kiss her 🤭 but obv that's for another season 😢

Damn, this was one hell of a ride❤️
Mar 23, 11:47 PM
May 2023
pleaseee maomao don't leave me pleease
Mar 24, 1:03 AM
Feb 2009
Reply to removed-user
@FoodstampDayo yes, but look from granny's perspective. You have a good business, you're pimping your daughter, she brings good cash, now she's pregnant and lost value, you sell your daughter to random steanger, she gets syphylis, and the guy who ruined your merchandise returns.
Grandma is mad at him, he ruined her business and most precious asset.
What else she suppose to do. So she kicks him away, gives some comfort to sick/dying asset/daughter (still her blood) and plans to make her daughter's daughter a whore to bring some cash.
Maybe expecting to bring back the cashflow like her daughter/maomao mother did. Like an asset replacement.

Seriously. This "granny" is one of the worst/evil/deranged character in any media.
She ordered her daughter to sleep with randoms when it was known at time risk of syphylis etc. is high and it won't even bring significant cash. At that period, street workers are known to have limited time before they succumb and die. Average lifespan if they fail to get out of that business is 4-5 years or so. Many wouldn't even pass 20-th birthday. Low-ranking prostitutes all suffered from venereal diseases. Whoring for public/randoms was one of the worst thing could happen. Mostly they were peasants daughters sent to cover debts etc. many of them just ended up in some ditch eaten by the rats.
So pretty much granny put a death sentence on her daughter as punishment and acting mad when things happens as expected.

Maybe death is more accepted in that timeline, and this kind of business treated with more "pride", but damn... If you want to blame someone for the entire situation, blame granny. She was the abusive mother who punished her daughter by sending her in the streets which pretty much equal to death sentence. And she was hoping to whore her syphylis ridden daughter's daughter too.
@Pimpi05 yeah, the granny was horrible. She knew lakan came back looking for Fengxian and he kept coming back for Maomao all these years. She knew Fengxian would be happier and better cared with Lakan but wasted all these years for grudge. If it weren't for Meimei and Maomao, they would never be reunited. She would rather let her daughter die.
I mean, pimping out her daughter at the streets knowing she would definitely get diseases... but blaming the guy for ruining Fengxian life? She is such hypocrite and i wish the anime wouldn't paint her so neutrally abt it ...
Mar 24, 1:07 AM

Aug 2009
Reply to perseii
@ssjokg Since you seem to have a good understanding of the story, I have a question:

Why did Lakan leave Fengxian for roughly 15 (?) years alone at the Verdigris House?

If he thought she was dead, who told him that and kept him in the dark for all those years? Was it the old lady who runs the brothel? (She did smack him with a broom) Was it because Fengxian asked her to tell him that, out of hatred for the man who abandoned her?

Why was the owner lady OK with Lakan buying Fengxian now? Isn't it messed up to sell Fengxian now that her mind is mostly gone due to syphilis, so that she doesn't have a say about this?

If Lakan knew Fengxian had a baby, then why didn't he do anything about his own child, and let Luomen raise her? Was it guilt and shame? If so, why did he ask Maomao to come live with him only now, after leaving her with Luomen for 17 (?) years? Or was he denied custody by Luomen?

It's tragic what happened to Lakan and Fengxian 17 years ago, but Lakan's actions since then (and to a lesser degree, Fengxian's) have been pretty careless and irresponsible.

(A less important question is, how did Fengxian remain at the Verdigris House as basically an invalid for 15 years? We were told time and time again that the pleasure district is a harsh place where women are cast out if they can't make money. Fengxian herself was forced to become a common prostitute after she gave birth. Was it Luomen and Maomao who paid for the expenses all those years? Was this mentioned?)
@perseii Others already replied but I will give my two cents for courtesy's sake

Because he assumed she was dead. He correctly guessed what happened to her after her offers fell through(+all those letters and fingers) but granny's words when he returned made him assume Fengxian had passed away.

She isnt okay with it but she cant do much now that the truth is revealed. Now she would have to "face" Lakan ,Meimei,Maomao and possibly the other top courtesans as well if she tried to get in the way.

Maomao said this episode that he tried when she was way younger, but to her it was just a stranger wanting to get her to his house. And I dont think he can do anything, in legal or not ways, to get her. He would be just a kidnapper in her eyes forever.

That's exactly what it is. Neither had malicious intent(well you can say Fengxian didnt give a fuck about the brothel, and was actively sabotaging it but why would we even care about that?) but they way they acted ruined both of their lives, Fengxian's more than Lakan's. One proper moment of communication
would have saved 3 lives.

As I am an anime only, this was a good question, that was answered in spoilers here. I dont feel like it was that important yet tho.
Mar 24, 1:08 AM

Oct 2013
Phenomenal final episode! Lakan and Fengxian's subplot has been wrapped and up in a very touching way.

I loved how this episode's preview, from the previous episode's ending, suggested that it would have been a recap episode. I expected a recap with up to several new scenes, but instead, it was a fully-fledged episode. :D

Maomao's dance looked great. It was just beautiful, worth of being one of the last big moments concluding the whole anime. The whole show was fantastic. I'm glad that we will be getting another season.
Mar 24, 1:34 AM
Mar 2016
I was waiting for that ox bezoar request scene and, that scene was perfectly hilarious.
Mar 24, 1:44 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I liked this anime a lot! I'm happy there will be another season. I appreciate Maomao as a character like quite a bit. I enjoy her passion for her craft and her drive to keep learning about it and testing. Sure, she can get "weird" about it, but I think that's a part of why she's a main character that one can relate to. I was always a little on edge with Maomao and Jinshi. I actually enjoy that Maomao isn't the type to just give into romance just because male lead exists. While some of that is her being so absorbed with her own interests, it's also not like she isn't aware that Jinshi is attractive... he's just not on her mind like that. Having that as a part of the story meant a lot to me. I see so many female leads just fall and either keep feelings a secret or something similar. Or they'll not have the romance happen right away but it's executed in a way that makes you think, "Yeah yeah no fooling us, we know it's going to happen eventually and we imagine how". Honestly, I can't even tell you how this will pan out, so it feels a little more fresh.

I didn't mind the formula of Maomao solving things and somehow getting around. I think the conversation of her morals comes up every now and then, but I actually was happy to see a character who didn't exactly preach "the right thing to do" all the time. Sure, there were things she wanted to do or didn't, but sometimes it's just about what needs to be done regardless of the outcome, and I liked that aspect of this.

I enjoyed this! Thank!

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Mar 24, 1:54 AM
Nov 2018
What a season. Wonderfully adapted. Maomao is such a charming o protagonist. Just a real pleasure of a show. Do think it dragged a pinch in the second half but definitely one that’s going to be recommended in the future.
Mar 24, 2:20 AM

Jun 2012
Gonna miss my weekly dose of Maomao and Jinshi 10/10
N☆ 

Mar 24, 2:30 AM

Mar 2010
Daaaamn.. Haven't been so excited about an anime in years now. Instant top 10. It's all so solid every character has a good backstory to it and I loved this finale. I personally think lakan isn't that bad of a person, he had a hard time and he planned to get back to maomao mother but failed to do so cause he was send off... Rather than purposely getting her pregnant just to have a courtesan, it wasn't like that. Glad to see them reunited. Also love the usual jinshu x maomao moments tho this time I did wish for an actual kiss but maybe it's too soon. I'm sure she gets ranked up eventually and the match is better planned ^^ both Mao and jinshi are great characters. Every solved mystery was well fleshed out and I enjoyed how maomao made decisions, keeping in mind her status there as well as the situation of others. And unusual love for poisons makes her more unique too.

Whats more to say? A great unique series 10/10. Been a long time since I rated a 10
Mar 24, 3:47 AM
Jul 2018
It's a bit weird, but did they just end Lakan and maomao mother story like this? I read the manga and after this there's not a single mention about them?
Mar 24, 4:19 AM

Mar 2022
That was an extremely good Finale and now there is a hole where this show should be for a whole year!
Mar 24, 4:34 AM
Dec 2020
Reply to iinorii
@avengernin would be great if they reach that point!!
@iinorii if the second season adapts as many chapters as the first one did i think it would be possible!
Mar 24, 5:10 AM
Jun 2020
peak cant wait for season 2
Mar 24, 5:20 AM

Feb 2023
Excellent show. I always had a feeling that Lakan was kind of a chill dude. Still not the biggest fan of Jinshi.
Mar 24, 5:35 AM
Oct 2023
This show surprised me every step of the way by keeping it interesting and since this last episode I only find myself more invested in the adventures of maomao and jinshi. Looking forward to season 2 with all of you!
Mar 24, 6:28 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to perseii
Ruise said:
Thought it's kind of a bum that they cut the expalantion on why Mao Mao react so strongly about Lakan, aside from her being jealous of his talent.

Here's another reason:

Wait what? Those manga panels explain a lot! Why did they cut this from the anime?

Her visceral reaction towards Lakan makes a lot more sense this way, we understand what Lakan tried to do once he learned of his mistake, AND we see Luomen's perspective in all of this. As a bonus, I learned exactly how much Fengxian was disfigured from her illness (I don't think the anime shows or mentions this... did it?).

It's just weird and disappointing how manga/LN readers have to explain what happened in such a high-quality anime. This happened to me more than once with this show.

@perseii They fkd up in the anime anyway

In the manga she actually does show some kind of fear instead of ''me angry, me jumpscare'' to start with.
Mar 24, 6:28 AM
Feb 2024
This episode was masterful, it gave me a flood of emotions. At the beginning I cried for the relationship of Lakan and Fengxian and in the end I laughed for the relationship between Jinshi and Maomao. The animation of the Maomao dance was perfect, I have no words to express the emotions that this episode, and the series itself, have transmitted to me. I’m very happy that the anime has managed to adapt the manga optimally, I hope that the second season will be just as good. While I wait with trepidation the second season I’ll read the manga
Mar 24, 6:31 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to removed-user
It's a bit weird, but did they just end Lakan and maomao mother story like this? I read the manga and after this there's not a single mention about them?
@Pimpi05

Because the LN story is different. Dunno why the manga cut out that part.
Mar 24, 6:47 AM
Jan 2019
I don’t get it, does she hate Lakan or not? When Jinshi mentions Lakan to Maomao for the first time, you can see Maomao face’s full of hatred.

But towards the end of the episode, she suddenly doesn’t hate him. Is it because Maomao realizes that Lakan did finally buy Fengxian? Also did Lakan knows where Fengxian was? Why didn’t he met her? Is it because Verdigris hides her from the public? And why does Verdigris even bothered to do so?

Edit: I figured it out, it was a face of jealousy hatred. She hates him because she is jealous of his naturally gifted talent.
UnoriginalityMar 24, 6:52 AM
Mar 24, 6:59 AM
Apr 2023
Great show! Loved it !
Mar 24, 7:18 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to WatchTillTandava
My 263rd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.

@WatchTillTandava me it was my 869rd series. Watched in 2 days 8/10 for me.
Mar 24, 8:15 AM
Oct 2016
One of the best anime to come out in recent memory. Incredible weekly watching experience. Can't wait for season 2. 9/10
Mar 24, 9:00 AM

Oct 2023
10/10 for me. Exited for next season. 👍🏽
Mar 24, 9:02 AM

Feb 2019
Unfortunately a pretty mid final episode for a double season. It kinda makes wanna downgrade it from 10/10 to 9/10
Mar 24, 9:10 AM

Feb 2019
Also I don't really buy into the romantic subplot(?) in the series. I can see why they could one day maybe like each other, but his motivations in that regard feel kinda shallow to me. As of Maomao herself, it seem like it will still take many many years before she could ever trully desire Jinshi. But overall I just don't see a whole lot of chemistry between them. It feels forced to me, like Fern and Stark from Sousou no Frieren, those two have sibbling dynamics, period.
Mar 24, 10:17 AM

Sep 2017
Yeah I'm a big fan of where the story went with Lakan. This was a great last ep and I'm looking forward to S2. Overall was a lovely show with a great female MC. Sometimes I felt it was a little of a jump for how Mao was able to deduce some of the mysteries or at least I wished that some of the other cast (like Jinshi specifically) would have been able to come to some conclusions himself, but still that is a small gripe.
Mar 24, 10:46 AM
Oct 2007
What an absolute enjoyable last episode! The first 10+ episodes had me hooked totally, binge watched through it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 10:52 AM
Jan 2024
I simply loved it. story ending= 10/10 animation= 10/10 emotional stuff and fluff 10/10.
Such a great show.
Mar 24, 11:10 AM
Jul 2010
S1 ended well. What a solid series. Can't wait for S2 in 2025!
Mar 24, 11:27 AM

Jun 2019
Otakupervert890 said:
me it was my 869rd series. Watched in 2 days 8/10 for me.

Nice. In a way I'm looking forward to the time at some point into the future if I'm still alive and conscious to be watching anime, when I get over, say, 500 series and am able to look back even moreso than now at all the different stories and worlds experienced. That's why I love keeping chronological track as like a record. I haven't had an 8/10 series for a little while now; even from all of last year, 2023, my only 8/10 was for AI no Idenshi. That's why from me a 7/10 is still a quite good rating for this. Even some series in my Top 50 are 7/10s and by contrast, many of the seasonals I've watched recently have been 6/10s or even 5/10s.

I watched this mostly week to week since it started airing in late October, but a binge in a short time period must have had a different feel to it.
Mar 24, 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
If you actually think about it the worst part about all of this is that it was all caused by the ''honey lady''

Give switched emperor baby honey>dies>luomen gets terminated causing lakan to get send overseas just before the baby came>rest of drama.

That women ruined a lot of lives lol

Also jeez elitists here lol I've probably seen more than 1200 shows and I still thought this was amazing even if slightly predictable.
Mar 24, 12:19 PM
Jan 2018
amei este anime .estou ansioso pela segunda temporada
I love this anime . I can't wait for the season 2
Mar 24, 1:52 PM

Jan 2011
it has some good visuals, the setting is interesting an it has a charming protagonist, unfortunatelly she cannot carry the whole series, the rest of the cast is forgettable an the story isnt interesting

5/10

i wont be watching the sequel
Mar 24, 2:43 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Dukino
Honestly I'm not sure what the point has been of the Lakan redemption arc these past few episodes. He's a vile despicable wretch that's only been horrible to those around him, just look at his interactions with Jinshi back when we first saw him. Nothing can erase the pain he's done. I feel like this story is trying to send the message of forgive your parents for the bad things they did to you as a kid. Which is absolutely unacceptable and ridiculous. Lakan made his bed now he needs to lay in it, he's awful and nothing can repair that. I hope that Maomao never talks to him or even mentions his name the entire rest of the story. This show was pretty good until the the last episodes of this first season. I enjoyed seeing Maomao flourish in the inner palace of the emperor as she caught the eye of Jinshi. Bringing her so called dad into the mix just made things insufferable. I hated any scene with him or any storyline trying to explain away his awful actions. This author needs to stick with medicinal espionage instead of inter familial relationships became their sense of the latter is warped beyond repair. Season two next year better not show that crustacean ever again.
@Dukino Agreed, what was the point of this whole story anyway. Maomao does dislike him, so why forgive him?! It's like the author is forcing us a melodramatic story, just for the sake of crying... This story has no substance. Early episodes it was well established that Maomao does hate him, so why now reconning it, just to make her to be the daughter who is saving her parents. It's like I am the hero, I save everyone, either good or bad people, or like in this case a despicable one. You are just forcing an unrealistic scenario of a family drama that makes no sense, just to make it exaggerating emotional.

Please, author, don't do that and stick to your medicinal deduction storys.
Mar 24, 3:20 PM

Nov 2021
im crying sm rn Lakan saw her just as beautiful the day they last saw each other 😭 I CAN'T WAIT FOR S2!!!!

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is The Apothecary Diaries popular in China ?

KingSunWukong - Apr 21

11 by GuyWithoutFear »»
Yesterday, 8:13 AM

» I came to realize that Maomao is Gregory House

Gaming_Moment - Apr 23

11 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 25, 5:32 AM

» On which chapter does this season 1 end?

Creeture - Apr 24

5 by Ash_Anime24 »»
Apr 24, 8:01 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

116 by NotBonBon »»
Apr 21, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Nov 25, 2023

171 by Phoenix_Hime »»
Apr 20, 7:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.