Forum Settings
Forums

How is one able to watch multiple animes concurrently?

New
Mar 18, 8:46 AM
Nov 2023
So I've noticed that many MAL users have set multiple animes to "watching" status. This implies that they are watching all of them at the same time, even if it isn't always so. Now I understand the case if one is watching the shows that are currently airing, since episodes come out once a week or so, and probably on different days of the week. But what about the case when the shows have already finished? (for example I am not yet really interested in currently airing shows as I am still kind of new to anime and MAL) Do you just like watch a few episodes of one anime, then a few episodes of a different one, then a couple of, say, a third anime and you just keep bouncing from one anime to another until you finish it or drop it? Until recently I have told myself that when I select an anime, I must finish it no matter what and that I cannot watch anything else in the meantime, even if I don't really want to or get burned out (that's how I can give Sailor Moon S1 a 9/10 and the rest of the seasons a 6/10), but have realized that I shouldn't be doing it considering that watching anime should be for fun and not feel like a chore, especially with shows as long as Sailor Moon.

So as I am curious about it, how can someone watch multiple shows at the same time? Is this really a "hack" that spices up the experience of someone watching anime or prevent him/her from getting tired or bored by simply only going through a single series (no matter how long)? Please be kind and warm when responding; I am still a new weeb that is just figuring things out.
Mar 18, 8:47 AM

Feb 2020
"Do you just like watch a few episodes of one anime, then a few episodes of a different one, then a couple of, say, a third anime and you just keep bouncing from one anime to another until you finish it or drop it?"

Usually it's exactly like this.

SerafosMar 18, 8:55 AM
Mar 18, 8:55 AM

Jul 2017
I just bounce like you said. I like having multiple different things to watch depending on my mood.

Mar 18, 9:00 AM

Apr 2008
I watch finished airing anime concurrently with anime that is currently airing. So I will pick a few finished anime from my PTW list and watch one episode of them just to get a feel for them and add them to my currently watching list. So all finished airing anime on my watch list I have seen episode one of. I don't update it it however until I start currently watching it.

So I will watch mutiple random airing seasonals and only watch one finished airing anime, complete it and then start another finished airing one. If it bores me I drop it and pick another one that is currently on my watch list.
SevenMar 18, 9:18 AM
Mar 18, 9:04 AM

Sep 2016
People use their lists differently, I put things into the watching list not just after I started watching them, but also if I plan to watch them soon or if they already aired but aren't accessible yet.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 18, 9:12 AM

May 2019
If there's a will there's a way they say. I find it better to find a long running show to binge watching rather than juggling multiple shows at once. The experience from binging a show could be very memorable and most likely stick with me for the longer time too compared to watching multiple shows since the focus is divided. If I watch multiple I usually pause watching certain show that I find less enjoyable and focus on finishing the one that I find more enjoyable. I usually like to try new shows to watch for few episodes but I find myself too lazy to continue so I just move on and find better show to watch.

Mar 18, 9:14 AM
Oct 2019
Do you just like watch a few episodes of one anime, then a few episodes of a different one, then a couple of, say, a third anime and you just keep bouncing from one anime to another until you finish it or drop it?"

Usually it's exactly like this.(2)
Mar 18, 9:24 AM

Aug 2019
Tannenbusch said:
So as I am curious about it, how can someone watch multiple shows at the same time?

A lot of people have multiple displays nowadays.
If you have a phone, TV and two PC monitors you can watch 4 shows at the same time. It's that easy!
Mar 18, 9:34 AM

May 2021
I used to have the exact same question when I first started watching anime. I could only pay attention to one anime before. But when you watch anime for some time, you are able to bouce off different shows. Its just how it is. I think its because you are less emotionally invested in a show so you can quickly switch to another.

Mar 18, 9:37 AM

Oct 2019
Ok so.... right now, I am watching Haikyuu s4 p2, Skip and loafer, Robot Carnival and natsume's book of friends at the same time.

How?

I'm watching haikyuu with my cousin, so that's what I'll watch when he's here.

Skip and loafer is one that I watch when I'm in a sol mood (aka want something more chill)

Natsume's book friends I sometimes watch an episode of as a bed time story before sleep.

And robot carnival is the thing that I'm just watching.

And these are aside from the weekly shows obviously.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 18, 9:42 AM
Jan 2023
No if it's not currently airing then either finished or dropped. But if it's airing then same bounce one to another

Note 1:- I prefer to watch completed anime obviously do not want to wait for week to watch another episode

Note 2:- 95% I drop an anime in the first 1 or 2 episode if don't find interesting
Mar 18, 9:44 AM

Jul 2023
Like you and the others said, bouncing between them. I developed a new habit of watching anime in pairs. If I get tired of one I switch to the other, and switch back when I feel the need to. Of course this can lead to situations where I find a binge-worthy show and neglect the other.
Mar 18, 9:53 AM

Jul 2021
At first I would binge a show, then go onto the next, but at one point I found myself bored, so I decided to watch more genres, more different shows at the same time. Usually I would pick one longer show, and other shorter anime (different genres), then I would just watch whatever I felt like watching (I usually take my time with SOL/ comedy anime, so I would watch 1 episode max per day)

There's no rule to watching anime, there isnt a secret or something like this, just make sure to try more genres and as you are consuming more and more stuff you will find your own way of watching anime
Mar 18, 10:01 AM

Jun 2019
I like a variety of shows to watch. As well as a handful of seasonals I usually have a couple of older/completed shows on the go (currently Sorcerer Stabber Orphen and Rose of Versailles) plus a longer show or two that I can dive into (I enjoy the experience of longer shows as they give you more time with the characters), which was One Piece until I caught up, so now moved onto Dragonball and Maison Ikkoku.

And yeah, I watch a few eps from one show, then another. Watched eps from 6 different shows today.
Mar 18, 10:10 AM

Sep 2023
For me, when I start watching an already aired Anime. I will watch through everything that the series has to offer. Take a show like Black Lagoon, it has two seasons, an omake, and a movie. Even though it may take me a few days, I will watch through everything continuously. I find it better this way, especially if you're trying to keep up with the story lines of the show.

Be safe and well travels,
Chris
Mar 18, 10:15 AM
Jul 2022
Usually for me I start watching one anime at a time (excluding seasonal) but when I get bored or am not feeling it, I’ll stop partway and jump to another anime, and then might revisit that one soon after and do the same thing
Mar 18, 10:29 AM

May 2019
Using multiple screens at the same time.
Mar 18, 11:02 AM

Jan 2023
For seasonals, I watch them on the day they are scheduled to release. For finished airing/older shows, I take my time with them and clear out all of the content available such as sequels and movies and such.

It’s a case of time management for me and bouncing from one to another.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Mar 18, 11:04 AM

Jan 2024
Used to be able to do that when I was younger but nowadays, nah.
Mar 18, 12:31 PM

Jan 2013
I usually have too many seasonal shows to binge older stuff, but that's always been my preferred method. If I'm not feeling a show I don't feel obligated in any way to finish it before moving on to something else, though. There's nothing wrong with jumping around to multiple shows, but I would keep the amount to something reasonable, you don't want to go to the opposite extreme and have a ton of unfinished shows.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 18, 12:44 PM

May 2022
I watch maximum of 5 anime at a time so what I do is alternate between the 5 everyday until I'm back to the first anime and the cycle continues. I also have this rule thing where I can still watch the anime from yesterday or even a few days ago if some event in real life stopped me from watching that anime.
Mar 18, 1:01 PM

Feb 2021
I split my shows into categories and watch them in this order each night:

1. New shows - Any shows that are currently airing a new episode weekly (e.g. for this season: Dungeon Meshi, Frieren). Maximum of 4 per night.
2. Secondary show - Any shows that have either a runtime of more than 26 minutes per episode, and/or have more than 200 episodes total. (e.g. One Piece)
3. Main show - Shows that either have a runtime of 26 minutes or less per episode, and have less than 200 episodes total (e.g. Steins;Gate)

Generally movies take over the secondary and main slots if I chose to watch one that night as main shows are my first priority.
Mar 18, 1:14 PM

Feb 2020
If I'm binge-watching an already finished show and want to start watching another show, I'll simply put the former one on hold and pick it up later when I feel inclined to.
Mar 18, 1:15 PM

Oct 2021
I can only handle at max four or five series concurrently, but preferably 3 would be the ideal number where I have enough to watch without getting burnout.
Mar 18, 2:32 PM

May 2018
Yeah, watching 46 of them right now. It was 60 not long ago, so apparently I finish them, even though it takes long.
I choose them on a whim. It may be one episode per each of ten different shows, or a few episodes per one single show. If I don't come back to a show for some time and lose my interest a bit, I put it on hold. Sometimes I add to CW something new or return something from On-hold. So, my Watching list is under constant rotation.
I don't care much about completing a show as fast as I can. For me, it's more important how it goes, not how it ends.
Btw, my record was Monster, which took me 10 years to finish lol.
Nemo_NiemandMar 18, 2:37 PM

Mar 18, 2:33 PM

Aug 2012
A lot of mine are seasonals. But I do sometimes watch 2 or 3 older ones at the same time. I sorta bounce between them if I kinda get fatigue from one. And usually have one I watch during workouts cause I can't really concentrate on a slower anime during that, I need something with some action to get me pumped.
Mar 18, 3:42 PM

Jul 2013
Well I usually have multiple 'finished airing' shows I am watching concurrently. I switch between episodes of different shows daily. Shows which I do not enjoy very much I watch an episode once every few days/weeks and for shows I really enjoy I binge watch. Binge watching is possible for shorter series. For longer series it will be a couple of episodes at a time.

I am currently watching Ranma half and at 161 episodes it is not possible to binge watch. The show is also episodic so there is no reason to watch episodes back to back. I typically will watch 2-3 episodes of this show every 4-5 days. Likewise I am watching Mitsudomoe S2 and I really like it so I've watched 6 episodes over 3 days (I have a full time job so that is a lot of episodes for 1 show).

Some shows like Vinland Saga S1, Violet Evergarden, and couple of others I've like it so much that I put everything else aside to complete these.
Mar 18, 3:44 PM

Oct 2021
I'm currently watching 2 episodes of Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha and 1 episode of Yu Yu Hakusho each day. For shows which are airing atm, I'm going to watch them whenever I've got the time for.
Mar 18, 4:55 PM

Jan 2021
I'm watching about 7 series right now. As long as they're all different genres it's fine. Like obviously don't watch 7 mechas all at once, you'll just confuse all the events into one big mess. I just watch a couple episodes of each a night depending on which I'm in the mood for at the moment. Keeps it fresh.
Mar 18, 5:56 PM

Nov 2019
It's exactly the 'must finish' attitude that leads to the state of burning out. This isn't a job, you know.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Mar 18, 6:36 PM
Jun 2023
I Have Watched Around 200+ Anime and till now i never have any anime which i started and never finished it (except School Days really traumatizing) I am currently watching one piece naruto bleach at same time and also week animes I just watch them one after another.So you can watch multiple shows at a time i also go with the same rule never drop an anime.Just remember this before watching an anime research about it i am telling you with experience.Thanks For Reading,Have A Good Day
Mar 18, 8:30 PM

Feb 2021
Yes, that's just how I do it, bouncing from one anime to another. It's that simple. It also prevents burnout. I put Frieren on hold for more than 3 months, and had to catch up from episode 11 to episode 26, so that's 15 episodes to watch before the series finally ends. While I really like the show, I couldn't watch more than 5 episodes a day, seems like that's the maximum for me. When I had free time, I would switch to a different anime, in this case Dungeon Meshi, for a change of pace.

If you ask me, I would never understand why you would force yourself to finish a show before watching another one even if it means of burning you out. That's weird.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Mar 18, 10:39 PM

Aug 2012

I watch about a dozen airing seasonals and then bounce around between multiple already aired anime based on what I feel like watching. It's pretty normal for me and helps me not to be bored.
Mar 18, 11:00 PM

Jul 2016
I watch a chunk of something until I get bored, watch a chunk of something else, then go back to the other.
Mar 19, 7:31 AM
Aug 2021
one anime (usually SoL) while having lunch/dinner
another one (usually a seasonal) before bed
binge watch 2-3 shows(something from my PTW list) during weekends
Mar 19, 7:36 AM

Sep 2008
At least in the case of titles I have set to Watching, I at least have a few that are ongoing through a current anime season and one older title I'm watching. The older title, I watch through as I have time for it. The current season ones, I just make time for them as I have it available. For this season, been in the habit of going through recent episodes every Saturday.
Mar 19, 7:37 AM

Dec 2021
If I feel like I can get to at least one episode every two or three months, then it goes on my watching list. Otherwise it goes on-hold until it's time to pick it back up. Then it's just down to me deciding what I feel like watching and putting one or more episodes of that on, usually until I feel like "Yeah, that's enough of that anime for the moment". Although some anime warrant putting everything on-hold, due to them requiring it for the highest level of enjoyment. I literally don't have a watch schedule, since that sounds tedious.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Mar 19, 6:33 PM

Feb 2023
bruh...I'm watching like 12 shows rn. Most are currently airing so I have a steady drip feed throughout the week, but I keep a couple backlogged shows in case I am in the binging mood.
Mar 26, 9:36 PM
Jul 2012
I usually watch multiple shows as they air, so that's one episode a week on different days. For shows that have already finished by the time I start them, I watch an episode whenever I can fit it in. Sometimes, that means I can watch one a day, and other times, I can watch something once a week or longer.

I avoid bingewatching several episodes of the same series in one day because it doesn't give me time to process what I've watched and I end up forgetting most details about the show not long after I'm done with the whole thing. It's not the best way to view and appreciate a show. Instead, watching one episode of a few different shows in one day provides variety and keeps things interesting. Still, even then, I only watch 3-4 episodes maximum a day.

Kudos to you for not sticking with an anime that doesn't hold your interest. There are too many great series waiting for you to watch.
Mar 27, 1:57 PM

Nov 2017
İf I watch multiple animes at once I usually forget what happenned in the story.
Mar 28, 6:17 AM

Feb 2024
I watch only one anime at a time, I only start another one if I finish it first. The only exception is if a new season of an anime that I've already watched comes out, then I watch it weekly, even though I'm already watching another.
Mar 28, 6:18 AM

Nov 2023
"How is one able to watch multiple animes concurrently?"

Have a proper schedule as me. If you want to see visit my profile.
But it's so good, I've never known anybody like you
But it's so good, I've never dreamed of nobody like you
And I've heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime
And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine

More topics from this board

» If MAL didn't exist

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

30 by EastIndiaCompany »»
30 seconds ago

» Has anyone noticed how sequel bias is an anime only thing?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

19 by FanofAction »»
57 seconds ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

116 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
59 seconds ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 12 hours ago

28 by SgtBateMan »»
6 minutes ago

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 11 hours ago

20 by Thanatos1 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.