Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 29, 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
What a strange episode.

Rabbit outfits and shenanigans. There really is no peace and normal moments in this show. Oh Shinobu..they decided to give her moments this episode for all the strange reasons. This episode was pretty wild imo, like a strange take on Alice in Wonderland. The rabbit characters were creepy than anything else imo.
Feb 29, 8:26 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverFeb 29, 10:12 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 29, 9:58 AM

Dec 2021
Shinobu always gets hit on, no matter the episode. Poor her.

While shopping, Shinobu spots a man in a rabbit costume crouching by the roadside. She hears him murmur, Something to eat... Intrigued by the unexpected warmth in Rabbit Man's expression, she offers him a carrot from her shopping bag. Grateful for her kindness, the man asks her out. Annoyed by yet another odd encounter, Shinobu tosses him into the air, only to watch him disappear. When Lum arrives, Shinobu shows her the key the man dropped. In a distant realm, the rabbit boy named Inaba appears and is scolded for losing the "Key of Fate."

Lum's door-making in this episode gave me Doraemon vibes. And whoa, seeing Sakura and Tsubame with two kids in the future was such a sweet surprise. But poor Lum ends up marrying Rei, and Ran remains single forever... That's a bummer for both of them. Anyway, to lighten the mood, we got those bunny suits. I remember they were way sexier in the original show. Maybe they're toning it down now for a different audience. Or maybe the original anime just wanted to sell more stuff by making them extra alluring.

Looking forward to more door-opening adventures next episode.

Feb 29, 10:01 AM

Feb 2021
OP and ED subs let's go
Oh damn, the future! And they even have more modern phones and gyarus and stuff! This is cool!
I'm pretty sure Kokeru's name comes from 転ける (kokeru) - "to flop (e.g. of a play); to be a flop". Imagine naming your child like that lmao.
Okay, this was super fun. One of the best episodes. Sooo glad that this was just part 1. I want to see more futures!
Feb 29, 10:03 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Plain unlucky rather than a curse is more like it lol. Inaba though was quite the character. Still a interdimensional cleaning crew looks to be an interesting job. The future that they saw though sure was a curious one though and a shocking one for some. The rescue of Inaba from his abusive co workers though sure was some nice teamwork. Curious to see what happens in part 2.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 29, 10:48 AM

Jan 2018
FINALLY, OP and ED lyrics! About damn time they added them. It's also quite fitting that they added this in this episode.

Man, seeing Inaba and this story finally animated in a modern style almost feels surreal. I am glad they added some scenes that were skipped in the OVA.

Do people really not like raw carrots? I sure love eating them. Maybe I'm a rabbit.

I thought those rabbit co-workers of Inaba were just some type of rabbit monster. Sure, there was always the possibility that they were men wearing costumes just like Inaba but I don't think the manga or the original anime ever made it clear.

I am so glad they kept the color of Shinobu's dress similar to the one in the OVA. They just added the flower patterns from the manga. But the resemblance to the Furinkan High uniform is still there.

And also, giving Sakura the Piyo Piyo apron from Maison Ikkoku was genius. David Production knows that Sakura and Tsubame resemble Kyoko and Godai a lot lol.

But man, Shinobu, and Lum look absolutely GORGEOUS in the bunny suits! They did not disappoint with that!

One thing I didn't expect was that they added references to the 90's. First off, showing off people using some "modern" tech like cellphones and pagers and then Ataru chasing a gyaru. That was cool and I wish there were more stuff like this.

I'm always a sucker for stories about alternate realities/futures and this story is no exception. Top 5 Urusei Yatsura stories for sure. Part 2 is going to be amazing!

Stark700 said:
Oh Shinobu..they decided to give her moments this episode for all the strange reasons.

The reason is that Shinobu was the original main heroine of Urusei Yatsura. So it's not unusual. The Remake unfortunately cut most of her stories and gave her very little screentime.

Episode 30B Family Tree was originally the 12th chapter in the manga. Rumiko Takahashi introduced the concept of multiple futures in Chapter 329 Open the Door to retcon that future. Besides, Takahashi wanted to give Shinobu happiness before she ended the series. The Remake tied Chapter 12 with Chapter 329 with the last episode and this one.
0451Feb 29, 11:10 AM
Feb 29, 11:30 AM
Sep 2015
Oh nice, a story that expand through multiple episodes, and deservely so.
Feb 29, 12:25 PM

Aug 2011
i just realized that shinobu is a prototype akane, especially seeing her in the blue dress in this episode.
Feb 29, 12:48 PM
Oct 2019
HECK YES! TIME TRAVEL FINALLY! "There has to be a universe where my ship becomes canon!"
Feb 29, 4:44 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
It’s very cool seeing this stuff in the remake since none of this was in the main anime, only an OVA after it finished airing, and it’s an awesome OVA so I was really looking forward to it in the remake, and so far it has not disappointed. First off, I watched the original OVA before I checked out Ranma so I never noticed that the outfit Shinobu is wearing very closely resembles the school uniforms from that show, very cool reference there, and speaking of Shinobu I’m glad this story gives her a lot of focus since she’s been missing it for the most part in the remake, and hopefully this means we’ll get more moments between her and the new lad Inaba since there are still a lot of episodes after this, and also just more of Inaba in general, I like the remake’s version of him a lot already.

And this story really is cool with how it explores alternate realities, I think it would be cooler if it went in a horror direction with some of the realities but I get why they don’t, it’s fun enough lighthearted lol. And I was also looking forward to seeing Lum and Shinobu in bunny suits and they delivered there too, I noticed they made the middle part fluffy which is a cute touch. And lastly I never realized the rabbit dudes were wearing costumes like Inaba, I thought this was an ugly duckling situation but it appears not, not that it really changes much, Inaba still fucks up and the rabbit guys are still assholes lol.
Feb 29, 5:31 PM

Aug 2022
I laughed a lot, it was great! S2 10/10 so far
Feb 29, 6:08 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode! Maison Ikkoku at 10:56, with Sakura as Kyouko and Tsubame as Godai? :)
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Feb 29, 6:44 PM

Feb 2019
Bit early for the Easter bunny innit lol, but did anyone else think the antimation was extra good today d pro really cooked
Feb 29, 6:45 PM

Apr 2022
really liking this arc with multiple futures so far, wouldn't mind it going on a bit longer. ataru really spawned in sakura's lap though lmfao. the future is too damn bleak lol wonder how many more we'll see. also lum's reaction to seeing she ended up with rei. like how shinobu's getting focus, she was feeling a bit missing this season.
Feb 29, 6:54 PM
Mar 2015
Sometimes the future is just too bleak
Feb 29, 7:03 PM

Dec 2010
Ataru is just completely dumb most of the time but for some reason, he's carrying the show really hard.
Sasuga Kamiyan
Feb 29, 7:05 PM

Jul 2016
Was fun seeing Ataru and co. exploring alternate realities and reacting to them. This arc (or mini-arc?) is looking quite promising so far.
Rei-less Ran was sad tho.
Feb 29, 8:20 PM

May 2019
This is very faithful adaptation of the Dreamaker Arc. It's one of the most anticipated story to be adapted and it's really good so far. There is a chapter that is supposed to set up Shinobu in this episode but it got shortened or cut. Wish we could get more Shinobu focuse episode more with the friends hanging out. Hopefully we could get the extended story for Shinobu regarding Inaba this season as a follow up. Piyo piyo

Feb 29, 9:37 PM
Dec 2023
Lol I forgot all about tapeworm-kun chasing Shinobu around
Mar 1, 3:05 AM

May 2015
Now Shinobu joins in on the time travel shenanigans! It seems no one is a fan of this future. Sucks for Shinobu and Atarus kid. Inaba really fell for her at first sight! I think it's funny how the good future for Mendou sucks for both Ataru and Lum. At least Ran is happy in it though!
Mar 1, 5:13 AM

Feb 2020
This angle is essential to build the development of the plot.

Mar 1, 5:42 AM
Feb 2020
I love how even tho noone seemed satisfied when they saw their first possible future all of their adult selfs in it seemed to be reasonably happy or content with their lives (well everyone except Ran).
Mar 1, 6:02 AM
May 2017
best episode and arc so far of this series
Mar 1, 6:07 AM

Mar 2012
I'm starting to like Shinobu now, Lum is still a bitch
Mar 1, 7:41 AM

May 2015
When Back to the Future meets Alice in Wonderland.
Mar 1, 8:38 AM
Oct 2019
More Future Shenanigans LMAO

Poor Moroboshi didn't know he ended up with Shinobu and only complain because he working for Mendou LMAO
Mar 1, 9:36 AM
Nov 2022
Very fun, I like that they take the time to explore possible futures xd
Mar 1, 11:41 AM
Sep 2018
Playboy girls in a isekai world should be this ep
Mar 1, 12:45 PM
Jan 2024
good episode and very funny like Lum and Ataru looking for their best future
Mar 2, 1:10 AM
Jul 2023
So we brought it to the 8th episode of the remake, "Inaba the Dream Maker" OVA in the original (1987) or 329-332 chapters of the manga. Unlike its predecessor, it was divided into two full-fledged parts of 20 minutes each, which is definitely pleasing to preserve the entire timekeeping and it is interesting that the future here mows down to our present time, Rumiko Takahashi did not know what our time would be, it's cool that they paid attention to such a trifle. So far, I'm happy with the remake.
Mar 2, 5:11 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow, that's definitely a lot of (weird) parallel universe for the different couples ahaha
Mar 2, 5:21 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Aha so their fate is not really decided yet and they'll just look into what a bright future holds. What a wackey way to tackle this topic but I guess it was to be expected of this show.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Mar 2, 7:41 AM

Oct 2008
This chaotic episode simply/absolutely violates spacetime fabric macrocosm! = basically means it was awesome! HAHA!
5/5!

Mar 3, 3:09 PM

Feb 2012
let's go timeline hopping with Inaba, in the future Lum Ataru just left last episode, Shinobu is married to Ataru with a son. Sakura is happily married to Tsubame (until the main gang interrupt them). Don't know who Mendou is with but he's Ataru's boss and Lum appears reluctantly married to Rei, leaving Ran with no one.
With endless possibilities, the alternate futures Inaba offers differ in the smallest of ways like Mendou's mustache and the color of Shinobo's clothes

Lum & Shinobu in Bunnygirl outfits 😍
Fortress_MaximusMar 4, 4:56 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 5, 7:47 PM

Jul 2017
Shinobu getting cursed with love reactions, Sakura tries to remedy it, but it's fate for sure. And her finding a rando guy on the streets in a rabbit outfit, he's quite insistent, like Ataru. And Lum have witnessed him disappear into hyperspace, leaving a key...

The rabbit in question: Inaba, he's here for the cleanup, though losing that Key of Fortune is quite critical, and Lum building a door to test the keym brings them into the world of doors, like in Doraemon, and this time, she saw the future that both Ataru and Lum was not able to see the last episode. Instead, they saw Sakura and Tsubame's family, and also Mendo, who has grown into a CEO, though they now finally know their own futures. And the Fortune Manufacturing Office rabbits have to now deal with them into forgetting the future that they saw, but that Inaba caused the problem in the first place.

With the official uniforms, they can finally venture into hyperspace...though the various doors with many potential futures, they keep coming back to Mendo and Shinobu's same future. Finding your ideal future...isn't as easy as it seems. Onto Part 2!
Mar 5, 11:22 PM

Dec 2022
god i wish Tsubame with Sakura were me
BUNNYGIRLS
deep stuff man deep stuff
Mar 7, 2:50 PM

Nov 2016
Ataru as Mendou's servant may be the worst case scenario. These futures suck and I wouldn't be happy with them either. Cool arc so far.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 8, 1:56 AM

Jul 2022
The True Ending of Urusei Yatsura

Mar 9, 3:43 PM

Apr 2012
Still better than the bland Multiverse of Madness.
Mar 13, 12:21 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
it´s hard to find the perfect future!!!
kekeke
Apr 9, 12:41 PM
May 2021
This is probably the best arc so far. It's so interesting to see these different future's lol. "We are not here to play spot the difference dimwit" Was best line lmao
Apr 18, 7:36 AM

Oct 2017
Damn what a disaster, I hope they find a happy future for them. So paralel futures/timelines after all and not a singular one. Aprreciate Lum and Shinobu in bunnygirl costume btw.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - May 2

31 by landofthekwt »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Who is the worst parent in Urusei Yatsura? (Poll)

0451 - May 2

8 by davidyodo24 »»
May 3, 6:27 AM

Poll: » Question for both new and old Urusei Yatsura fans... What do you think of Asuka Mizunokoji?

0451 - Apr 25

16 by VivaceRex »»
May 2, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 25

40 by MegamiRem »»
May 2, 11:45 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 11

41 by MsBorsh »»
Apr 30, 6:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.