Forum Settings
Forums

Do cheaters deserve second chances in relationships?

New
Feb 23, 12:11 AM
Jan 2017
I say no trust is a hard thing to build back. But when you love someone it's not a switch you can turn back on and off... Js...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 23, 12:28 AM

Jan 2009
once a cheater always a cheater is just a rule of thumb so its not always true
Feb 23, 1:00 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I think it would be very difficult for me to trust that person again. It's possible that I could come around eventually, but that could take a long time. Even if she says she regrets it, I could never be fully certain if that regret is genuine, or simply because she got caught. So, I think that thought would create a rift and create problems down the line.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Feb 23, 2:04 AM

Jun 2020
Reply to deg
once a cheater always a cheater is just a rule of thumb so its not always true
It is as simple as this. If you respect yourself enough as a person you should never want to be serious with that cheater again.
Feb 23, 2:05 AM

Jul 2014
There's no definitive way to answer this since everyone's approach to love, relationships and forgiveness is going to differ to at least some degree but,speaking on a personal, level I don't think so. It's a tremendous betrayal of trust.
Take care of yourself

Feb 23, 2:13 AM
Apr 2022
yes but only if they admit they cheated before getting caught, so mostly no
Feb 23, 2:41 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
"Deserve"? No. That's up to the person they cheated on whether or not they'll be given a second chance, but they're not owed another chance.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Feb 23, 2:44 AM

Sep 2016
cheaters deserve a chance at going to hell
infinite money glitch click here for money free mony click here real

Feb 23, 2:53 AM

Aug 2021
It depends a lot on the circumstances.

Feb 23, 3:17 AM

Sep 2016
That decision is only up to the betrayed person, opinions from other people are not relevant in this regard.
I would guess that if the betrayed still loves the cheater who shows remorse with honest apologies, then it's not unlikely the betrayed will deem the cheater worthy of a 2nd chance.

Personally: if she cheated with opposite gender then probably not, but if she cheated with same gender then keep going!

ZarutakuFeb 27, 3:13 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 23, 3:31 AM
Jul 2018
I dunno, I don't care much about the cheating per se, more about that childish hide-and-seek-play cheaters do, instead of telling me. Always made the agreement to tell another if you meet someone else.
Feb 23, 3:37 AM
Dec 2023
I think cheaters do not deserve second chances in relationships. Cheating is a betrayal of trust and a sign of disrespect. It shows that the cheater does not value the relationship or the partner's feelings. It also damages the self-esteem and confidence of the partner who was cheated on. Cheating can cause emotional trauma and psychological distress that can take a long time to heal. Giving a cheater a second chance is risky and foolish. It can lead to more pain and disappointment. It can also create a cycle of mistrust and insecurity. Once a cheater, always a cheater. That is my opinion.
Feb 23, 3:44 AM

Apr 2020
It's really dependent on the people involved in the relationship and what kind of relationship they're having.

If it was built with great emotional connection and trust as the core of the relationship, then I could imagine cheating not just as a committed mistake but as a betrayal of another.
On the other hand, if it's the kind of relationship that was built on fulfilling each other's needs in a lot of different aspects, I can see cheating as some kind of implication that the other half is beginning to feel unsatisfied and/or looking for things they're not getting from what they have. Whether that's considered betrayal, mistake, weakness, a result of a lack of communication, or whatever else, it's for the affected other half to decide what those actions and decisions meant to them and how they felt about it.
"I will use my ball to make you remember." -- Haruka Kiyomine, 2024
Feb 23, 4:06 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to maruvasaz
I think cheaters do not deserve second chances in relationships. Cheating is a betrayal of trust and a sign of disrespect. It shows that the cheater does not value the relationship or the partner's feelings. It also damages the self-esteem and confidence of the partner who was cheated on. Cheating can cause emotional trauma and psychological distress that can take a long time to heal. Giving a cheater a second chance is risky and foolish. It can lead to more pain and disappointment. It can also create a cycle of mistrust and insecurity. Once a cheater, always a cheater. That is my opinion.
what's the point of these AI generated posts lol
infinite money glitch click here for money free mony click here real

Feb 23, 4:12 AM
CD enthusiast

Jan 2024
CrazedRabbit said:
what's the point of these AI generated posts lol

I wouldn't be surprised if certain people or interests are testing the waters to see how successful their AI is at deceiving actual human beings. Check its other posts. They're so similar and orderly, it's unsettling '__'
Feb 23, 4:16 AM

May 2020
I think they don't, I can't give cheaters 2nd chance. I got cheated and I just lost all my respect to that person, I gradually lost my feelings overtime as much as they tried to win me back and explain themselves the reasons why they did it, that they were stupid, etc.

Hey, in my case I ended up dating the person that my ex cheated me with and I dumped her ass.
Feb 23, 4:18 AM
Nope. If my significant other cheated on me then it’s all over. There’s never a second chance and I don’t think I’d ever pursue another relationship
Feb 23, 4:23 AM

Feb 2020
Depends on the relationship and the people involved in the situation.
Feb 23, 4:23 AM
Jan 2022
No.

[And I should not have to add more characters in this reply.]
Feb 23, 4:32 AM

Mar 2008
It really depends under what circumstances lead someone to cheat. Whether it is that individual or just a vulnerable state they were in or if it is a sign of a fault in the relationship. It also depends on what they actually did, how they feel about it and what their partner thinks of it. These aren't simple matters and I don't judge others broadly like that and I could only know how I would act if that happened and under what conditions.
Feb 23, 5:09 AM
May 2012
It is poison.
If you like someone else tell me about it, if you don't love me anymore you leave me but don't stay with me and sleep with others. If a random woman stops me and tells me that she has cheated I don't care because she is a stranger, if the person I love cheats on me it is very serious. The more I care about a person, the more serious it is.
It's the betrayal of someone you trust. it is the last blow of a relationship that's not working anymore, you can forgive but the fear will remain forever, it is a scar that will remain there forever, it will resurface every time you argue about something, you are afraid that it could happen again and you will be much more worried when your partner "disappears" for a few hours, It's also possible that it could encourage what is your turn to betray too.
So it's not the end of the world if you are attracted to someone else, I would rather say that it is easy for it to happen but you talk about it. Discuss to your partner, what is happening to our relationship? and if nothing can be done you just leave.
I'm aware of the fact that there are very complicated situations, when this happens to married couples with kids when they share all their friends and relatives, living together since always and incapable of affording to move out. Yet it is horrible for everyone and you are making it worse.
Feb 23, 8:15 AM

Jun 2017
No, they don't deserve it. Just break up and get back together if you feel like it. But once trust is broken, it can never return back to normal.
Feb 23, 8:20 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
People who give 2nd chances to cheaters deserve what they get.
Feb 23, 12:48 PM

Jun 2008
For me personally definitely not! At that point the bond of trust is broken. Even if they have changed.
Feb 23, 1:28 PM

Jan 2017
Absolutely not.

If they cheat on you it is beyond over and if you stay in spite of that you either have no self respect or self worth or you're in a marriage and you are too deep into things and need to make plans to leave.

Either way leaving is simply the only option and that intention should be made clear early in relationships and that doing such a thing means destroying everything you may have with someone.
Feb 23, 1:33 PM

Jan 2017
Reply to traed
It really depends under what circumstances lead someone to cheat. Whether it is that individual or just a vulnerable state they were in or if it is a sign of a fault in the relationship. It also depends on what they actually did, how they feel about it and what their partner thinks of it. These aren't simple matters and I don't judge others broadly like that and I could only know how I would act if that happened and under what conditions.
@traed That's complete BS traed.

Entering into a relationship you should be completely conscious that your actions are your own and that in a relationship the biggest thing is communication. If there is issues in the relationship constant communication should be the baseline and if the relationship really is falling apart and not salvageable the solution is not to cheat.

The solution is to not be a POS and instead actually have the integrity and resolve to ends things yourself. There is not a single excuse that could EVER make cheating blameless even in states of vulnerability and this entire "Oh, it's depends" mindset is the reason people allow themselves to stay in toxic relationships in the first place since they do not hold themselves up to standards that in some instances there is a line people can cross that results in zero tolerance and that line, at the very least, should be having your partner cheat on you.
Feb 23, 1:38 PM

Aug 2011
No. They knew exactly what they were doing, they knew it was wrong, and they still made the choice to do it. That's all I would need to know that they don't value me or our relationship. I could never fully trust that person again.
Feb 23, 1:45 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
On an abstract moral level, nope. But the person who decides is the person they are in a relationship with.
Feb 23, 2:18 PM
Jan 2017
I'm giving my girl another chance I never been this in love I gave her a ring and all. I love her... I'm going to have a serious talk and try to work it out I love her. But if she can't agree to some stuff then its over I'll know this week I just found out last week...
Feb 23, 2:28 PM

Sep 2018
I would say if the women cheats the man should leave. If a man cheats than it is up to the woman. A lot of men might get upset at the idea, but the truth is playboy chad is still way more desirable than an average 9-5 5"9 normie who would never cheat.

The big reason cheating is so bad is that men do not want paternity fraud and raise another man's kids. Women care far less for cheating since they can't ever have a kid that is not theirs by DNA.
Feb 23, 4:08 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Cneq
@traed That's complete BS traed.

Entering into a relationship you should be completely conscious that your actions are your own and that in a relationship the biggest thing is communication. If there is issues in the relationship constant communication should be the baseline and if the relationship really is falling apart and not salvageable the solution is not to cheat.

The solution is to not be a POS and instead actually have the integrity and resolve to ends things yourself. There is not a single excuse that could EVER make cheating blameless even in states of vulnerability and this entire "Oh, it's depends" mindset is the reason people allow themselves to stay in toxic relationships in the first place since they do not hold themselves up to standards that in some instances there is a line people can cross that results in zero tolerance and that line, at the very least, should be having your partner cheat on you.
@Cneq
You misunderstand what I mean.

For example what if a person cheating is in an abusive relationship and doesn't know how to get out of it safely yet? That is their fault and theirs alone?

What if their partner has an identical sibling (twins/triplets whatever). Is it really their fault they can't tell them apart if they pretend to be the other?

Communication takes two sides and a partner being cheated on in some cases can be as equally not communicating things well or even sometimes more on the side of the person cheated on, causing a rift in the relationship where a situation where cheating wouldn't have previously been a possibility can occur. That wouldn't make that person to blame for the other cheating but it is part of their responsibility for the relationship being weakened but also sometimes it is no one's fault for a relationship not working out but that isn't calling the cheating itself blameless.

There is a number of situations where a person might cheat that some people would find more forgivable. What if they are under a lot of stress and grief and someone close to them had died and their partner just wasn't there for them and some friend that didnt know they were in a relationship or forgot kisses them and they kiss them back in the moment, is that really cheating the same degree as literally planning to fuck a bunch of other people behind their back? I am not saying a person should cheat in such scenarios ideally but people are human.

Again we go back to definitions of cheating. Different people consider different things cheating. To some merely looking at someone and being aroused is cheating. To some having romantic feelings for another person is cheating. But these aren't exactly conscious decisions.

Also different people are willing to forgive different things. You can't deny this reality. You seem to only be focused on the view of you being cheated on.

So yes it depends.
Feb 23, 4:33 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to traed
@Cneq

For example what if a person cheating is in an abusive relationship and doesn't know how to get out of it safely yet? That is their fault and theirs alone?

What if their partner has an identical sibling (twins/triplets whatever). Is it really their fault they can't tell them apart if they pretend to be the other?

Communication takes two sides and a partner being cheated on in some cases can be as equally not communicating things well or even sometimes more on the side of the person cheated on, causing a rift in the relationship where a situation where cheating wouldn't have previously been a possibility can occur. That wouldn't make that person to blame for the other cheating but it is part of their responsibility for the relationship being weakened but also sometimes it is no one's fault for a relationship not working out but that isn't calling the cheating itself blameless.

There is a number of situations where a person might cheat that some people would find more forgivable. What if they are under a lot of stress and grief and someone close to them had died and their partner just wasn't there for them and some friend that didnt know they were in a relationship or forgot kisses them and they kiss them back in the moment, is that really cheating the same degree as literally planning to fuck a bunch of other people behind their back? I am not saying a person should cheat in such scenarios ideally but people are human.

Again we go back to definitions of cheating. Different people consider different things cheating. To some merely looking at someone and being aroused is cheating. To some having romantic feelings for another person is cheating. But these aren't exactly conscious decisions.

Also different people are willing to forgive different things. You can't deny this reality. You seem to only be focused on the view of you being cheated on.

So yes it depends.
@traed

Someone with a more in-depth take on it.
Ofc it's on the couple to decide if they should stay together or not, but I think it's weird to throw away years of partnership, even marriage, because one of the partners had sex outside of the relationship.

Ironically, people who care the most about cheating, seem to meet partners who cheat on them more likely, than people, who don't care that much. You can't hurt someone, who doesn't care much, to begin with. People, who are the type of cheaters for the thrill of it, won't get any, if they cheat on you.

And if your partner just falls in love with another person, yeah why not.
Feb 23, 4:36 PM

Jul 2017
"Once a cheater, always a cheater" is a very accurate and true saying, so yeah, they shouldn't be given a second chance by the person who got cheated on.
Feb 23, 4:48 PM

Mar 2008
LittleOwlbear said:
Ironically, people who care the most about cheating, seem to meet partners who cheat on them more likely, than people, who don't care that much. You can't hurt someone, who doesn't care much, to begin with. People, who are the type of cheaters for the thrill of it, won't get any, if they cheat on you.

I think that is because those types also are more often the kind more desperate to not be single so they wind up with the wrong people more frequently. Or they are more romantic type so they fall for deception easier. Though in some cases it is because they are in an area where there are more people cheating so the reason they are worried more is because more is happening where they are. Depends where you are finding these people.
traedFeb 23, 6:24 PM
Feb 23, 5:03 PM

Oct 2013
Many therapists would say that technically, it depends on how a certain relationship is like. But nah, reality ain't a fairy tale. "Once a cheater, always a cheater". It's hard to trust a cheater again, and most of relationships that "recovered" after one person was cheated by another, are no longer the same ans can even turn into toxic ones, fully dependant on factors other than those you'd expect from a normal relationships. You can tie a relationship with common interest, money, or even having kids, but these things will never be healthy equivalents to love, positive emotions, trust and care.
Feb 23, 5:07 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to kusairo
"Once a cheater, always a cheater" is a very accurate and true saying, so yeah, they shouldn't be given a second chance by the person who got cheated on.
@kusairo Indeed. One can break up with someone in a sincere, civilized way, if they don't see their current relationship's future. No need to cheat on the partner, or be a dumb ignorant and expect forgiveness, aka second chance, for whatever reasons. Mostly folks who beg for the second chance are those who wanted a new relationship, but it didn't turn out well, so they return to their previous partner, treating them not like a person, but rather like "Plan B".
Feb 23, 10:02 PM

Jun 2014
Maybe, if they are genuinely remorseful and make efforts to rectify thing. Even then, that's a big maybe.
Feb 23, 11:42 PM

Mar 2019
Personally, no, I wouldn't. Maybe other people in different situations would but I just couldn't trust someone again after that trust was broken.
Several years ago I was cheated on by my long-time girlfriend and it really wasn't cool. I haven't actually been in a serious relationship since then and this sounds kind of dumb but I'm still a little scared that if I do have another relationship like that, I won't be enough for that person :(

@TheD3m0nL0rd
That's kinda funny actually lol
Feb 24, 1:46 AM

Jan 2021
They don't

Fool me once, shame on you,
Fool me twice, shame on me

I'm not getting fooled twice

Feb 24, 2:37 AM

Oct 2009
Hard to trust someone again if they cheat on you but if they are genuinely remorseful and take actions to make things right then you can forgive them to an extent.

I would say that your reaction will also largely depend how far along in the relationship you are. Met six months ago and get confronted with this? The decision to split seems an easier choice to make. But what if you have been together 20 years, have two kids and a mortgage under both your names? Cutting all ties becomes a whole different ball game. I bet in the latter scenario people will tend to adopt a more forgiving mindset.
Feb 24, 2:51 AM

Feb 2022
If someone cheating on you doesn't remove your feelings for them from your heart, there is something very wrong with you. Cheaters deserve nothing but the whip (at best).
Feb 25, 7:22 AM

Jun 2020
Reply to monsta666
Hard to trust someone again if they cheat on you but if they are genuinely remorseful and take actions to make things right then you can forgive them to an extent.

I would say that your reaction will also largely depend how far along in the relationship you are. Met six months ago and get confronted with this? The decision to split seems an easier choice to make. But what if you have been together 20 years, have two kids and a mortgage under both your names? Cutting all ties becomes a whole different ball game. I bet in the latter scenario people will tend to adopt a more forgiving mindset.
@monsta666 Its a mess that has no easy way out, especially if its a long standing relationship with a lot of baggage like kids or shared living. This is why being self sufficient and not relying on the person who ends up cheating on you is very important, having your own savings and bank account, as it gives you the option to bail out from the relationship. If you have no income on your name, like most unemployed housespouces, you have to eat up a lot of toxic stuff and probably even forgive the adultery. This is also why domestic violence happens, people not being able to run away from their abusers due to not having financial and living security of their own. Hence why women and men, get yourselves jobs and your own source of income, if your rely on your partners for income, you gonna have a bad time if they do decide to cheat on you and now you have no way of bailing out on your own.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Feb 25, 9:14 PM

Feb 2022
Do cheaters deserve second chances in relationships?

Fuck no.
Feb 26, 2:30 PM
Aug 2023
For me, cheating is something I could never forget, and I won't be able to trust such a person again.
I can understand everything - but lying and cheating - never.
But I know couples where someone mad such a mistake, and they both managed to get over it. We are all different
Feb 26, 4:31 PM

Mar 2020
It depends on the person and why they cheated. It's not all black and white.
💀😭😂🙏
Feb 26, 6:26 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to traed
@Cneq

So yes it depends.
@traed

Dude, these are absolutely fucking terrible counter arguments.

traed said:

If you are in an abusive relationship, why the fuck would you put yourself in danger even further, by risking getting caught with another person? And even putting that aside, even in the purely hypothetical realm, this is already an insanely toxic scenario, to the point where the cheating wouldn't even be the main issue at fault here. If your argument to justify cheating it to put it up against a much more heinous act such as that, then it's pretty telling of the real flimsiness of the argument.

The second example is so cartoonishly obscure and rare it's practically irrelevant, and again, obscures the real issue by using an even more egregious act by other participants. But also misses the point, since the intent factor, that makes cheating a betrayal is not there. This is a response to an argument made by no one.

traed said:

If someone cheats on you, and tells you "it's no one's fault", because their was a lack of communication, then that person is toxic. YES the responsibility ABSOLUTELY falls on the person who cheated in that scenario. It's completely disgusting to argue otherwise. The solution to a lack of communication is either building communication, or ending the relationship. Not by adding another wrong to it.

traed said:

So? What, they were hurt, and so they shouldn't take any responsibility for breaching the terms of the relationship? If they do that in the heat of the moment, they need to talk to their partner about it. If they don't, they're a scumbag. And either way, it still doesn't write the wrong. They still fucked up, and they still need to take the responsibility for it.

Nobody is arguing this!!!! If you find yourself glancing at another woman / man, maybe you could consider that an unconscious decision (though unlikely), sure, but that in of itself is not cheating, and muddling it down with all this bullshit is actually destructive to this discussion, and obscures responsibility once again.

Literally irrelevant. People are willing to forgive their abusers, but that doesn't mean their abuse was justified.

People need to take responsibility for their actions. Full stop. None of this whataboutism bullshit.
DreamWindowFeb 26, 6:53 PM

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Feb 26, 7:12 PM

Jan 2017
Reply to DreamWindow
@traed

Dude, these are absolutely fucking terrible counter arguments.

traed said:

If you are in an abusive relationship, why the fuck would you put yourself in danger even further, by risking getting caught with another person? And even putting that aside, even in the purely hypothetical realm, this is already an insanely toxic scenario, to the point where the cheating wouldn't even be the main issue at fault here. If your argument to justify cheating it to put it up against a much more heinous act such as that, then it's pretty telling of the real flimsiness of the argument.

The second example is so cartoonishly obscure and rare it's practically irrelevant, and again, obscures the real issue by using an even more egregious act by other participants. But also misses the point, since the intent factor, that makes cheating a betrayal is not there. This is a response to an argument made by no one.

traed said:

If someone cheats on you, and tells you "it's no one's fault", because their was a lack of communication, then that person is toxic. YES the responsibility ABSOLUTELY falls on the person who cheated in that scenario. It's completely disgusting to argue otherwise. The solution to a lack of communication is either building communication, or ending the relationship. Not by adding another wrong to it.

traed said:

So? What, they were hurt, and so they shouldn't take any responsibility for breaching the terms of the relationship? If they do that in the heat of the moment, they need to talk to their partner about it. If they don't, they're a scumbag. And either way, it still doesn't write the wrong. They still fucked up, and they still need to take the responsibility for it.

Nobody is arguing this!!!! If you find yourself glancing at another woman / man, maybe you could consider that an unconscious decision (though unlikely), sure, but that in of itself is not cheating, and muddling it down with all this bullshit is actually destructive to this discussion, and obscures responsibility once again.

Literally irrelevant. People are willing to forgive their abusers, but that doesn't mean their abuse was justified.

People need to take responsibility for their actions. Full stop. None of this whataboutism bullshit.
@DreamWindow Good response, wouldn't of said it any better myself.

After seeing how utterly deranged the responses from @traed and @littleowlbear were they simply did not deserve any effort of a response from me.

It's honestly sick how people have such little self respect for themselves that they would be fine with letting themselves be exposed to such injustice from a person who no matter what should be their most trusted and loyal companion.

The only way I can see people being okay with it is if they NEED someone by them to be okay in life and thus get roped into a TOXIC relationship where someone else has that level of power over you and you're completely fine with it.

A relationship should be a two-body team built on equality and complete loyalty and anything less is simply a joke that only invites more issues when you could be far better on your own [if you were actually a capable, intelligent and successful individual, which most clearly aren't].

Feb 26, 10:23 PM
Jul 2018
Nope. it's such a cruel thing to do. I would never forgive that. I think this video sums it up well

"you know how easy it is not to fuck somebody" haha
removed-userFeb 26, 10:27 PM
Feb 27, 4:27 PM
Author & GameDev

Sep 2008
I was cheated on by a woman that I loved very much and I forgave her but she did it to me again and again (5 or 6 times that I know of total) but I kept forgiving like an idiot because I was "in love". Eventually I just gave up and moved on, painfully. Since that happened I could never forgive it again, if my partner were to cheat and I find out.. I would be gone within the hour and never look back.

However, my case is not the same for everyone. Sometimes people just make really bad choices and learn from them. Ultimately, it is up to the person who was cheated on to decide if they can accept it and move on but from my perspective, if it happened once there is something seriously wrong with your relationship and I would advise against moving forward with that individual.
🌟 Embracing the boundless worlds of anime, one episode at a time. 🌟
Add me to chat, would love to talk about anime, games or just life! Discord ID: TheKoricy
Feb 27, 5:30 PM

Jan 2023
Absolutely not, they made that choice to cheat and were aware of it. A relationship is built on communication and trust, cheating breaks and betrays that line and is unforgiveable regardless of any attempt of future redemption.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

28 by _Nette_ »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

67 by 3miL »»
24 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

30 by rohan121 »»
51 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 11 hours ago

16 by traed »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

23 by cody »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.