Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 10, 4:38 PM

Nov 2013
So anyone can explain what Jinshi did at the restaurant and why he needs to go there?
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Feb 10, 4:41 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to Devonnius
I hate Lakan so much; he cannot be redeemed.

This was pretty dark, without a case happening. We got some information on Maomao's past and learned about Lakan being her dad.

Lakan also knows who Jinshi actually is, and I think I know, but I'll wait for a reveal to happen.
@Devonnius You are in a great ride mate. Let's see if you will change your mind. The OP already spoiled it a little bit with the expression he had.
KyouKaiTenFeb 10, 4:44 PM
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Feb 10, 5:02 PM

Mar 2011
This episode had a lot happening while not mch happened at all... and I don't even know how that's possible :S

Lakan is still creepy and might be among the most unappealing characters I've ever seen. So I was right and he is Maomao's biological father. I feel sorry for her. Both of her parents seem not to be too good people even though I can only imagine her mother had to go though a lot too. Still... it doesn't justify anything. Maomao taking care of her mother after all... At least we got some more background info on Maomao's past. But I'm wondering if her dream was really a memory or if she just dreamed it because she knew what happened. I'd assume the latter given she was way too young to remember.

I don't know why but some parts of this episode were rather strange and unnecessary in my opinion.

At least Maomao starts to get more curious about Jinshi.

I'm not entirely sure what to think about Suirei... She seems strange but we will see.

The episode was ok (visually stunning) but I'm kind of missing something and I can't even put my finger on it...
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Feb 10, 5:32 PM

Apr 2022
lakan overhated, free my boy and let him see his daughter.
Feb 10, 5:48 PM

Nov 2010
  • The directions of the manga and anime differs like the following.
  • The manga version used full two facing pages for those frames with some subjective seconds. (yeah, it's printed on papers. It is designed not to read with a tiny smartphone.) Her look seems as if she is staring at disgusting maggots, especially at the second frame.
  • Contrary to this, her expression in the anime version shows her hatred. and it was rendered as a quite short instant (with a long still shot beforehand).
  • Though it's hard to tell which is the better direction, it would be difficult to adopt the quick transition technique in manga. Then, adoption of the anime-exclusive direction has meaning, I assume. As a whole show, I think the animation is not gorgeous, but it has tasteful directions sometimes, like the beginning of episode 14.
  • Actually, it may have been quite short period that she showed that hatred on her face, since she usually is trying to hide her intention to appear on her face like she said in the beginning of this episode. She just failed this time for an instant.

kuroneko99Feb 10, 6:21 PM
Feb 10, 5:55 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Lmao nice they just dropped the deduction already about Lakan being Maomao father by blood. Even though i know its a displeasant fact, and Maomao agree with that as well and try her hardness not to meet with those man. Something still amiss there. Especially with those syphilis woman. What's the real deal there? Moreover to the fact that Maomao eagerly want the 'resurrection' medicine.

Perhaps the chance to befriend with those military apothecary woman can bring some more answer like what has happen to Lakan? Let's see the next then!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Feb 10, 6:24 PM
Jun 2007
I mostly found it curious that the syphillis rashes on Maomao's mother were depicted with a flower motif, the same as Maomao's rashes under her bandages in the first opening. I can't help but think that's not a coincidence.

Anyway, this was a strong episode. Maomao's split-second expression of hatred sent chills down my spine. And I'm definitely curious about Suirei, at this point her direction isn't clear, and it has a lot of potential to go to many places, be it on Maomao's side, against her, or even both.
Feb 10, 6:33 PM

Mar 2020
Damn that was an unexpected twist. So that was Maomao's... 🙃

So she's the result of that pregnancy thing.

Maomao just showed us a scary face that you don't want to see it again. 😥

Wonder what's the deal with Lakan. 😡
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Feb 10, 7:13 PM
Oct 2010
Just did a rewatch from the beginning and some of the foreshadowing for future events was quite subtle. For example, one of her earliest visits to Verdigris she was sent to the annex and we got a very brief scene of a very unhappy Maomao curled up on herself and a shadowy image of a woman in bed, which paid itself off all these episodes later with the revelation of why she was sent there and who she was seeing. It's the little things I love about this show.
Feb 10, 7:24 PM
Dec 2023
Stuff's getting down to business. I'm scared of every woman in this show. Help please...
Feb 10, 7:30 PM
Mar 2015
our gril is laken's daughter by birth he is following her around our bo9 above him in rank
i liked our gril caring for big sis who has terminal syphilis She is a very good person
Feb 10, 7:48 PM
Mar 2019
Mysteries of Maomao's past have been revealed which explains her status at the Verdigis house among other things. Also, there is a hint on who Jinhsin really is. Series is becoming more about subplots than regular procedurals. I think a tipping point is coming soon.
Feb 10, 8:17 PM
Aug 2020
His dad,

Whatttt

Backstory when she was z baby

Is it a puzzle ?

Maybe yes, maybe no…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Feb 10, 9:55 PM
Dec 2022
lucio54 said:
That Jump scare actually scared me for some seconds holy shit.

omg, YES
I didn't expect
Feb 10, 10:50 PM

May 2020
Another amazing episode this week
we got a lot more questions than answers
cant wait for more

Feb 10, 11:20 PM
Jan 2024
that maomao jumpscare face was scary af good episode like usual
Feb 10, 11:20 PM

Oct 2022
Don't you think? The man who is the best military strategist of the La clan could not create a better strategy that could guarantee him a happy family life with the woman he loved so much and continues to love and his little daughter... Even the best military strategist couldn't foresee a move that would take him to prison and lose everything...

On the contrary, everything ended up being ruined, and now he lives surrounded by torment and in constant despair that destroys his mind and his life, as if he were really dead in life, a cruel way of paying for sins... or rather, promises. unfulfilled to those you love... do you know why our bad circunstance are bad? not for the harm they cause us... but to those around us, but especially when they hurt and destroy the lives of those we love the most and want to protect... it's ironic, don't you think, Lakan?

I wonder if Jinshi-sama makes the same mistakes that separate him from that blue in which he so wants to see himself reflected in her...

I had not noticed, but when you see OP2, from Uru, the blue not only speaks of Jinshi-sama's gaze towards Maomao, but also of the blue in the flowers that Lakan look at in the OP, remembering Fengxian... and entering into despair when remembering her... the parallel of the blue of a withered promise that was not fulfilled, and the blue of Jinshi's desire to see himself reflected in her eyes...

Feb 10, 11:23 PM

May 2015
That is a MaoMao below whose bad side I wouldn't want to get on:

IshitatesoFeb 10, 11:26 PM
Feb 10, 11:24 PM

Mar 2020
Tense moments, and then back to silly moments. What a striking balance...

I'm honestly a little surprised they just dropped the fact that Lakan was Maomao's biological father is such a straightforward manner, but the reveal came as no surprise really. We also got to see a dark look at the life of a courtesan struck by disease, something that is sadly part of the job. This was certainly one of the darkest episodes of the series so far, and that jumpscare with Maomao's glare when Lakan's name was mentioned was quite shocking. It's honestly bone-chilling seeing such a tense moment, and then seeing Maomao back to her funny self. A really enjoyable episode overall, and probably one of the best in the series so far.
Feb 10, 11:47 PM

Aug 2019
Reply to Ri-KoRin

The manga did the scene way better. The menacing stance and stare were reduced to a split-second jumpscare.
@Ri-KoRin I thought so too. I was waiting for this part when it was animated, it succeeded in shocking me but didn't freak me out the same way it did when I read the manga.
Feb 11, 12:48 AM

Dec 2022
I think because of the chill and calm premise of the show, I legit got a jumpscare from that scene. It happened so fast, and I was expecting a still image for a couple of seconds. I'm getting uncomfortable from that walking trash with a monocle, and reveals of certain characters are giving a sad and somber feeling. The end with Suiyei for some reason is also giving me a Supernatural/Horror vibe now.
Feb 11, 1:02 AM
Dec 2016
Reply to Nachtwandler_21
@Ruxxi as LN reader: what exactly do you want to know?
@Nachtwandler_21 what will happen with maomao and relationship with Jinshi and "the father" person ?how will things progress and the relationship evolve?
Feb 11, 1:55 AM

Jun 2021
That jumpscare should've been more than just a split second, one could easily miss it with a blink. Either way the story is finally taking shape and delving into the important pieces of the bigger plot, upcoming episodes gonna be good
Feb 11, 2:25 AM

Jul 2023
Most of the episode is too mundane for my liking. (Though animating her as a cat is nice.) It is only saved by the revelation that Lakan is 猫猫's father. But what surprised me is that this knowledge is not unknown to her. Lakan probably knew because she resembled her mother.
patkarununganFeb 11, 6:02 PM
Feb 11, 3:15 AM

Dec 2022
The way Maomao's expression changed when she heard Lakan's name made me realize she knows wayyyyyy more about him than what Jinshi expects she has
Feb 11, 3:20 AM
Nov 2022
The eerie silence at 18:00 ish and the lack of background music and only the sound of the environment really reminded me of Higurashi lol
Feb 11, 3:44 AM

Jun 2019
This episode had a very strange feeling to it which pervaded almost entirely throughout and it's difficult to put to exact words what it was about it. I don't mean that in a negative way - it was one of the most dramatically intense and best episodes of the season/series so far - I think for whatever reason (just a hunch I have) that that will prove to be especially true upon reflection in retrospect.

It was very noticeable and even unsettling in a way because even though the story in terms of individual plot beats picked up immediately where the previous episode left off, the entire air and mood around them shifted violently in favor of a more focused stern approach. There were still moments of downtime and a few lighthearted lines and comic relief, but it would be an interesting experiment to watch both the prior episode and this episode back to back now to see the visceral contrast since I initially watched them around a week apart (like many first-time watchers, I imagine).

The actual subject matter of this and the past episode were not very different at all in that both the last episode and most of the past several bunch of episodes have been ramping up focus on elaboration on Maomao and Jinshi's pasts and more complicated private lives, mainly family troubles, away from each other and away from what has hitherto been given any significant screentime, so all the more interesting that they managed to make the episode feel so different in execution despite none of the information within it being either new or particularly out of nowhere.
WatchTillTandavaFeb 11, 3:48 AM
Feb 11, 4:17 AM
Oct 2023
mao mao and her father ???

i definitely didnt see that coming, the little jumpscare surprised me, the last scene on the little hill with the spooky music, i love what this show is turning into.
It was a heavy episode, mao mao and jinshi were on the verge of showing too much emotions to each other, jinshi who doesnt want to let her go, her father who seems like a complicated and sneaky man, i dont know what to expect!
i hope we’ll dig more into both of their pasts
cant wait for next week !!
Feb 11, 6:06 AM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Reply to 1pyfgcrl0
The eerie silence at 18:00 ish and the lack of background music and only the sound of the environment really reminded me of Higurashi lol
@1pyfgcrl0 That's it, the last minutes truly felt like a horror anime, i was getting the chills with the last scene.
Feb 11, 7:24 AM

Nov 2022
Holy hell. Maomao's face when Jinshi wants her to meet her father is just terrifying. It's as if she already figured it out.
Feb 11, 8:04 AM
May 2018
Great adaptation.
Feb 11, 8:09 AM

Mar 2021
Ayo bro... This look was legit scary af!! Took me a while to recover from the scare.

Feb 11, 8:37 AM
Jul 2017
too predictable, the mother was a courtesan and the monocle man impregnated her and she's their daughter

and Jin is an extremely high ranking official. can anything be even a little bit subtle
Feb 11, 8:55 AM

Jul 2016
That split second glimpse of Maomao's look of disapporval from hearing Lakan's name tho

And Maomao really just casually licked a powder meant to be delivered to someone else lol
Feb 11, 9:01 AM

Aug 2021
tonal shift of this episode was unexpected
Feb 11, 9:42 AM
Sep 2016
Woooo~!!!!! Suirei and her horror-like vibe, complemented by the horror-esque music.... Damn, OLM's good!

The scene with Maomao's dark expression.... All silent, just her expression flashing just for a second.... Damn, OLM's good!

Both scenes above are done SO MUCH better than in the source materials (both manga and LN), what with the limitations of each media.

Next EP: We're on the rituals already huh?

PS: Poor Meimei tho...
Protecc Meimei!!!
uncleqrowFeb 11, 9:50 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Feb 11, 11:18 AM
Senpai

May 2021
Can we get some romance progress?
Was okay.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Feb 11, 2:00 PM

Aug 2022
Wow...that poor girl with syphilis...and OMG, Laokan is Maomao's biological father!? And I guess she must have known; otherwise, why would she have reacted like that when Jinshi told her Laokan wanted to meet her? Also, the way they showed her jump scare sort of reaction in just a couple of frames was very unique and well executed. I just wondered...what did Jinshi do when offered certain "services" at the pleasure house? I mean, even if he wasn't really a eunuch, he was disguised to appear unfit and all. So, I'm curious how he actually dealt with that, lol. And I hope Maomao's reaction afterwards betrayed some jealousy and not only concern for the ill courtesan. 🥲
Feb 11, 4:39 PM
May 2018
Quite a huge revelation this episode. The music at the end (not the ED) was pretty haunting as well, I wonder what role Suirei will play in the future
Feb 11, 4:45 PM
Mar 2019
Is he really her Father??
Feb 11, 5:03 PM

Mar 2008
I am a bit confused if the courtesan with syphilis is the same woman as in Maomao's flashback who presumably would be her mother who if Lakan is her father it means she probably resented her for "devaluing" her as a courtesan.

What a nice herb garden Suirei is managing. She mentioned planning on growing morning glory. It seemed unusual that was mentioned like that. Morning glory seeds contain LSA which is a hallucinogen one side effect is nausea. Though seems it's also used in Chinese medicine as a diuretic and for stomach pain among a few other things, though not by itself usually rather in mixtures. Also in China and Japan it represents love, and I think also adoration and rebirth.
traedFeb 11, 5:19 PM
Feb 11, 7:53 PM

Jun 2013
So I kind of missed what exactly Jinshi's reason for going to the pleasure district was. Anyone care to explain?
Feb 11, 10:57 PM
Jan 2018
Please help me find where i could read this for free!! Thank you
Feb 11, 11:30 PM
Sep 2021
The story is now starting to pick up even more, it is getting even better.
Feb 12, 12:00 AM

Nov 2018
Reply to traed
I am a bit confused if the courtesan with syphilis is the same woman as in Maomao's flashback who presumably would be her mother who if Lakan is her father it means she probably resented her for "devaluing" her as a courtesan.

What a nice herb garden Suirei is managing. She mentioned planning on growing morning glory. It seemed unusual that was mentioned like that. Morning glory seeds contain LSA which is a hallucinogen one side effect is nausea. Though seems it's also used in Chinese medicine as a diuretic and for stomach pain among a few other things, though not by itself usually rather in mixtures. Also in China and Japan it represents love, and I think also adoration and rebirth.
traed said:
Morning glory seeds contain LSA which is a hallucinogen one side effect is nausea. Though seems it's also used in Chinese medicine as a diuretic

Can cause vomiting and diarrhea... seems like something that might be good for either quickly purging poison from someone's system, or as a poison to make them terribly ill & hallucinate
Feb 12, 4:07 AM

May 2015
Mao Mao X Flowers best ship.
Feb 12, 6:50 AM

Mar 2021
They put a f-cking jumpscare wtf

Feb 12, 9:08 AM
Jul 2017
Reply to Ri-KoRin

The manga did the scene way better. The menacing stance and stare were reduced to a split-second jumpscare.
@Ri-KoRin Huh?! Sorry, but I don't think it came even close. Maomao's face in the second panel makes it looks like she just pooped herself or somefing. Besides, In audiovisal media, that "Jojo style" overdramatization, often seen in manga, almost never works (with the only excepcion being, well... Jojo). On the other hand the direction of the scene in the anime was just masterful. It was sutle and yet frightening. Just a blink and silence! And that was all that was needed to create that atmospher of uneasiness.
Feb 12, 9:33 AM
Oct 2021
maomao real scary...
Feb 12, 11:50 AM
Aug 2022
WHAT..AN..EPISODE!!?!??!?!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Nov 11, 2023

163 by foofighterz »»
Yesterday, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 23

248 by ManaMan242 »»
Yesterday, 8:56 AM

» DON'T REALLY LIKE THIS SHIP ( 1 2 )

Royalty459 - Jan 6

51 by Prishachbadra004 »»
Apr 29, 10:15 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 17

240 by Incognonymous »»
Apr 28, 4:24 AM

Poll: » Is The Apothecary Diaries popular in China ?

KingSunWukong - Apr 21

11 by GuyWithoutFear »»
Apr 26, 8:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.