Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 7:59 AM

Nov 2011
This kinda went how I had expected. The show advertised the meeting between Minami meeting Tsubasa and the scenes played out as such. Their chemistry is kinda cute although Minami seems to always have that blushing look on her face. Tsubasa's personality is kinda questionable though imo. He should try to be more confident around Minami.

It didn't take long for them to be in the same house already in the first episode.

I'm not sure how much this anime will adapt the manga but it works well for the show's tone so far imo.
Jan 8, 8:00 AM

May 2020
Pretty sure the probability of let’s say a person A stumbling upon some super hot blonde girl in bone chilling winter while randomly roaming the streets is negative… not even zero, but hey if you’re a black haired anime protag who can’t even speak properly outside of his own mind and freaks out every next second over.. literally anything, then there’s a chance, heck it’s inevitable.

We’re talking about our main dude here, whose name, Shiki Tsubasa, might sound cool to ears but that’s the only good thing about him, I mean not even his first day to school, much less in a completely new place and with completely new surroundings, he has somehow scored himself a blonde chick… what???????? And why? He’s already exchanging blankets, hanging out and above all is even getting an invitation to her house…. WHAT????

Why is that girl even showing an interest in him? Because he breathes? Or has two eyes? Or can speak the words and language of humans unlike his counterparts who only know how to bark???????? No really that’s a genuine ask.

Anyways, it really didn’t feel like this was or should've been the first episode of this series, because for some reason these two are acting OVERLY FAMILIAR already... for some reason. Opening sounded good, I mean something has to be decent enough after all lol.
Jan 8, 8:26 AM

Dec 2021
It's that time of the year when we get our yearly Gal anime. I have to admit, this one is actually pretty good.

Having moved from Tokyo to Kitami City in Hokkaido, Tsubasa Shiki disembarks from a taxi in the neighboring town and decides to take a stroll around the neighborhood. However, amidst the vast landscapes and extreme cold of Hokkaido, he finds herself lost and bewildered. In front of Tsubasa appears Minami Fuyuki, a "local gal." The two, brought together by Minami's guidance, discover that they are in the same class and plan to meet again the next day. Tsubasa, feeling awkward yet close to Minami in both body and mind, finds herself constantly on edge. Little does he know that he will be invited for a home date on their day off.

The whole concept of -8 degrees and "freezing lungs" just doesn't make sense to me. Honestly, it feels pretty good. Sure, being close to the sea, and with even a slight north wind, -8 might feel colder than it is. It's not enough to freeze your lungs, though. Besides, the guy seems to be dressed properly, maybe even a bit too much, so I don't see how anything could freeze in just 5 minutes out of the taxi. He should be fine up to -20, especially in this kind of climate.

It's interesting, you don't see this side of Japan every day—schools not being heated properly, so everyone's bundling up in layers or even blankets to avoid freezing. And wow, this girl is definitely not shy. I can't help but wonder if her lack of shyness is comparable to or even surpasses Marin's. I mean, we're only one episode in here compared to however many episodes we may have with Sono Bisque, but this gyaru has already set her boundaries pretty quickly.

This gal anime had a really good start, imo. I'm definitely in for more!

Jan 8, 10:01 AM
Jun 2023
Wait for the next episode
Jan 8, 10:19 AM

Aug 2017
How does she not freeze to death dressed like that and she says she get cold easily as well, oh well it's anime after all.

Not sure why she's already hanging and being comfortable around him like that but you know it's nice to have shows like this sometimes.
Jan 8, 10:30 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Reply to redorzo
How does she not freeze to death dressed like that and she says she get cold easily as well, oh well it's anime after all.

Not sure why she's already hanging and being comfortable around him like that but you know it's nice to have shows like this sometimes.
@redorzo It might be cold but gyarus are hot so it balances out umu
Jan 8, 10:33 AM

Apr 2014
They were cute and lovely together.
btw, who on Earth went to Shin-Okubo on their dating? It's not a first-place area for you to think about your dating.

Time for location hunting.
the bus stop
Itoshino station And, if they use this station, their high school should be modeled after this school

Seicomart is a chain of Japanese convenience stores that are mostly found on the island of Hokkaido, they also have their branches in Saitama and Ibaraki. If you travel to Hokkaido, you will find them everywhere.
何それ?意味分かんない
Jan 8, 10:39 AM
Aug 2020
i was waiting for it

so there is a lot of fan service

it was not bad but i hope that the story will be interesting...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 8, 10:43 AM

Apr 2012
I don't quite understand why previously studios mostly tried to typecast Ayaneru as an everygirl, playful tomboy literally her element, especially if you followed her on streams and radio shows.
Jan 8, 10:44 AM

Jul 2011
These people that think that countryside is easy to walk around like the big city.

C'est si Bon! moment watching the movie. Haganai memories.

If Fuyuki wanted she could "game,set and match" at any moment.
Jan 8, 10:50 AM

Dec 2017
AOTS and I love hokkaido gyarus, no questions asked. Also I do wonder if it's time to upgrade from bathwater bottles to snot filled tissues?

WE ARE GONNA SEW SOME TROUSERS FOR YOU TO WEAR <3
karrotStickJan 8, 11:02 AM
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Jan 8, 10:51 AM

Feb 2021
Heard good thigs about the manga and wanted to read it, but then saw the anime announcement and decided to wait.

Btw the title (Dosanko gyaru wa namara menkoi) is in Hokkaido dialect Japanese.
北海道 (hokkaidou) - lit. "northern sea way"
道産子 (dosanko lit. way (as in Hokkaido) birth child) - person born and raised in Hokkaido
"namara" is "very" (same as totemo)
"menkoi" is "cute" (same as kawaii)

3:30 A pun on Hokkaido and でかい (dekai) - "huge" (Colloquial)

Not the regular protagonist window seat this time, huh? lol
Are they not going to show us Tsubasa's house? I wanted to see his dad's reaction about him coming over to a girl's house.
This is literally the same Katsugen package as they sell in irl Hokkaido. I wonder if this is some sort of advertisement or they can just use the design freely.

There is a scene after the OP!
Really enjoyed this one, but honestly would've preferred a bit less fanservice.
Jan 8, 10:52 AM
Apr 2023
definite my dress up darling vibes. Three great VAs for the main girls too
Jan 8, 10:56 AM

Oct 2017
Gyaru's sure have high cold resistence. Fuyuki's so cute, loved watching her this episode. We got some fanservice moments too. Those were bad for Shiki's heart though. Ayaneru's voice suits her so well btw. Makes her even more adorable.

I remember enjoying these early chapters a lot and sure as well I'm enjoying watching them in anime. They did a good job adapting it as well. Though that OP doesn't suit this anime. Anyway looking forward to more.
Jan 8, 10:58 AM

Jul 2020
those playful slanted eyes look so cute
Jan 8, 11:05 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to AkeZZZ
btw, who on Earth went to Shin-Okubo on their dating? It's not a first-place area for you to think about your dating.

the bus stop
Itoshino station And, if they use this station, their high school should be modeled after this school

Seicomart is a chain of Japanese convenience stores that are mostly found on the island of Hokkaido, they also have their branches in Saitama and Ibaraki. If you travel to Hokkaido, you will find them everywhere.
@AkeZZZ Thank you sensei 🙏 Can always count on you when there are irl locations in anime.
Jan 8, 11:10 AM

Mar 2021
This was really good I love how Friendly and outgoing Minami is she is just adorable
Jan 8, 11:15 AM

Jan 2021
Pretty standard first episode. A solid 3 out of 5 imo. I will say that I am looking forward to the gamer girl and ninja girl being added to the cast.
"To Infinity and Beyond."
Jan 8, 11:18 AM
Mar 2020
Sure, it's another cliché but self-aware harem romcom, but it looks like it's gonna be chock full of ideas for things to do when I go to Hokkaido in the spring. This episode already gave me two...

Also, the OP is a right banger.
quintopiaJan 8, 11:27 AM
Jan 8, 11:23 AM

Nov 2016
This is a light hearted show that doesn't take itself seriously. Should be very enjoyable and it matches the season.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 8, 11:32 AM
Sep 2023
What I saw from the trailer and the op,isn’t it a harem anime?
Then why it doesn’t have harem tag?
Jan 8, 11:56 AM

Oct 2017
First of all pacing is insane, like how did they be so close out of sudden, it should have taken so much more time.
The concept of Hokkaido and how cold it is has been done well and it is interesting to see new sides of Japan.
I liked Minami and Tsubasa they are so cute.
Art and animation are wonderful till now.
ED song was amazing 💯
overall I want this to get better and more sensible in the future 🙏🏼
Jan 8, 11:58 AM

Apr 2021
I can feel it, this will be one of my favorites this season. Just seeing her in color fills me with joy and excitement. Watching a gyaru in general is always so refreshing in how direct and confident they act.

Jan 8, 12:12 PM

Jun 2017
I love gyarus so I like this anime too, however this series doesn't seem to be good by any means but it's a great guilty pleasure material.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Jan 8, 12:15 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Embient
Heard good thigs about the manga and wanted to read it, but then saw the anime announcement and decided to wait.

Btw the title (Dosanko gyaru wa namara menkoi) is in Hokkaido dialect Japanese.
北海道 (hokkaidou) - lit. "northern sea way"
道産子 (dosanko lit. way (as in Hokkaido) birth child) - person born and raised in Hokkaido
"namara" is "very" (same as totemo)
"menkoi" is "cute" (same as kawaii)

3:30 A pun on Hokkaido and でかい (dekai) - "huge" (Colloquial)

Not the regular protagonist window seat this time, huh? lol
Are they not going to show us Tsubasa's house? I wanted to see his dad's reaction about him coming over to a girl's house.
This is literally the same Katsugen package as they sell in irl Hokkaido. I wonder if this is some sort of advertisement or they can just use the design freely.

There is a scene after the OP!
Really enjoyed this one, but honestly would've preferred a bit less fanservice.
@Embient Thank you so much for those information 🥰
May 2021
Can't believe people are finding this interesting, looks to me like the writer is a 14-year-old kid

Mar 2022
praise be, praise be! Waifus have arrived.

I really enjoyed the manga, but stopped reading quite far into it once I say the anime announcement, so I guess I spoiled myself already...so anyway. I guess it does take visual (fanservice) cues from the Dress-up darling while not really being up to the animation quality of it, but I think the gyarus have enough of their own personalities to stand on their own. While I am proudly a team Sayuri player, Minami is portrayed wonderfully. It's her infectiously positive personality that caries the manga, and now, the show. It is a delight to see her animated, in color and talking.

Can't wait to see how this goes.
Jan 8, 12:17 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to AkeZZZ

the bus stop

@AkeZZZ You are really scary 💀 you just doxxed the main characters
Jan 8, 12:17 PM
Jul 2022
Solid Introduction after watching this i figured out that i need to go to Hokkaido pronto.
Jan 8, 12:34 PM
Nov 2023
Rom-Com_lover said:
What I saw from the trailer and the op,isn’t it a harem anime?
Then why it doesn’t have harem tag?

It’s more a love square than a harem.
ianiowJan 9, 8:11 AM
Jan 8, 12:38 PM
Nov 2023
I started reading the manga and I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode, very well animated, I like what I see so far, let's go with episode 2!
Jan 8, 12:41 PM

Jan 2023
Well, it felt like a nice mix of slice of life, comedy, ecchi and romance.
Minami really was super adorable.
All this snow made me feel cold haha.

Very solid and fun first episode, looking forward to future episodes :)
Jan 8, 12:51 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
No season is complete without a wholesome gyaru anime and this one as is adorable as advertised. But please girl get some thermal tights.

And the MC is your typical blank slate dude who has girls falling for him for no other reason than....well you know why. Well, at least here he has the novelty of being from the big city going for him.
FarabeufJan 8, 12:54 PM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 8, 12:51 PM
Jan 2022
i would say this anime is very basic so far. nothing really new or exciting from your typical cliche.

i will give it 3 epiaodes.

the start was very much like last seasons "you were experienced, i was not"

which actually turned out good
Jan 8, 1:01 PM

Feb 2019
“Mid” in the official translations… Looocalisers at it again

Subs aside, time for our seasonal wholesome Gyaru story. I’m ngl this premiere was kind of meh to me. Seems like your typical loser boy moves to town and somehow hottest girl in school falls in love with him story. I mean literally as soon as she sees the MC she’s all over him, grabs him when she sees him in school and invites him to her house. These are ok when you watch a few shows per year but when you hit 150 a year like I’m at, they just get repetitive.

That said, it is only one episode so I’m not writing it off as a whole. I do love gyarus of course and think the main girl is cute. Just wish the MC wasn’t so bland. It is cool to see a show take place in Hokkaido which is the coolest part of Japan(after kyushu 😉) and a place that doesn’t get explored often. I like how they showed how big Kitami is as well. Kitami and Sapporo were developed relatively recently so they have American levels of sprawl and suburbia. Not to mention the crazy winters up there.

Hearing there’s a love square going on so hopefully the other girls add a little spice to the story and keep things interesting
Marinate1016Jan 8, 1:49 PM
Jan 8, 1:03 PM

Sep 2018
Seems like pretty typical virgin wish fulfillment pandering so far. Haven't lost all my hope for the main character yet (as in he might still develop a personality), but Fuyuki is all I need to keep watching anyway, haha. The gags were even more predictable than usual though... have I been watching this subgenre so much my braincells have adapted to the comedy formula?!

That opening is catchy as hell – Masayoshi Oishi never misses!
Jan 8, 1:20 PM

Mar 2014
Just another cliche gyaru romcom, it's good enough to watch but tbh this kinda show is banal
RedChromeJan 8, 1:25 PM
Jan 8, 1:25 PM

May 2015
Not gonna lie went into this thinking it was a low rent Sono Bisque Doll, but was pleasantly surprised.
Jan 8, 1:31 PM

Sep 2023
redorzo said:

Because he's from Tokyo.
Jan 8, 1:33 PM

Nov 2018
I've already seen that the protagonist is boring, but let's see what happens.
Jan 8, 1:34 PM
Feb 2020
I have a soft spot for cute anime gals, so it's not a surprise that I loved it 🤣
Jan 8, 1:37 PM

Jul 2016
Reply to SD_strange
Can't believe people are finding this interesting, looks to me like the writer is a 14-year-old kid
@SD_strange ditto. I've never seen so many romcom clichés in just one episode.
Jan 8, 1:55 PM

Jan 2012
Bad advice show huh... whole KIKEKAKUKO of brain as for me.
Jan 8, 2:08 PM

Apr 2016
It’s a nice first episode, I believe I’ll enjoy this show.
Jan 8, 2:09 PM
May 2023
it was cute but seems it'll get old. I'll watch cuz I like gals
Jan 8, 2:53 PM
Jun 2017
Reminds me of my childhood a lot, I think the opening is the best this season so far. So.. so.. so catchy..!
Jan 8, 3:06 PM

Nov 2013
gyarus are always best girls, no need to think too much lol

that being said, she is a little too airheaded ... who even falls asleep wearing those clothes with a guy there haha
then again she is so friendly that she grabs his arm from 1st minute and during class lol

also, i would never be able to, but i know a guy in my city who always , summer or winter, uses sleeveless shirt, shorts, sandals, no socks, so i guess it's possible for someone who lives in a snowy area to build some resistance lol
winddevil1Jan 8, 3:20 PM
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 8, 3:51 PM
Mar 2018
I might be giving this 1st episode too much credit but I was expecting some kind of teasing anime like Nagatoro or Please Go Home,Miss Akutsu. But this episode make me feel this is actually going to be very wholesome...with a side of fan-service.
Jan 8, 4:00 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Typically when I think of Hokkaido, I think of Golden Kamuy, but from now on I’ll also think of this show lol. Great start tho, I appreciate that they made Tsubasa a bit of a silly lad when it comes to the differences of the city and the countryside, it really helps establish that Hokkaido is a lot different not just in size, but also for the harsher winter weather. It also made for that funny bus scene, when Minami hopped on the bus and he didn’t get on, it immediately clicked for me that he did in fact miss the bus because a cute gyaru bamboozled him lol.

And Minami really is a great gyaru so far, she’s got a great design and is a lot of fun, the house visit was what really made that clear, she even got some classic fanservice scenes in there which I appreciated lol. And she unfortunately fell asleep but the sight of her sleeping was sweet for sure, Tsubasa’s mind immediately went in the gutter tho due to the sex scene in the movie lol. But with that we’ve got a great show to get rid of those Monday blues, it already worked wonders for me on this one lol, it looks like we have two other girls to come too which I also look forward to. And that OP was a banger for sure, Masayoshi Oishi always stakes his claim for the best song of the season when he’s there lol.
Jan 8, 4:18 PM

Jul 2022
Another year, another season, and another Gal.

Tsubasa Shiki is a 16-year-old newcomer from Tokyo to Hokkaido, and luckily, he meets Minami Fuyuki, a Gal—quite unusual for a rather cold place like Hokkaido.

The chemistry between them is quite good. Minami, interested in Tokyo, spends more time with Tsubasa, who, as expected from many romantic comedy protagonists, is a bit shy around her.

I've been hearing comparisons between Minami and Marin Kitagawa for various reasons. However, I'd prefer not to get into that topic. I'll just say there have been several comparisons and speculations about the new replacement for Marin, and in the end, they didn't quite measure up.

We'll have to see how the relationship between Minami, Tsubasa, and the other characters develops, amidst the beautiful snowy weather, red noses, and of course, the GALS.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 19

71 by Alex796 »»
Apr 25, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18

103 by kociamatka »»
Apr 22, 1:37 PM

Poll: » Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 25

108 by HachiKyou »»
Apr 20, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 12

90 by 2life »»
Apr 20, 12:00 PM

Poll: » Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 5

84 by Alex796 »»
Apr 20, 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.