Forum Settings
Forums

What does an anime you rated a 5 mean to you?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 20, 2023 7:00 PM
Nov 2017
I tend to base it more off the words that are used to describe the scores in the drop-down menu. for 5, it says "average" so after watching a show if I had no strong opinions one way or the other, I tend to put things at a 5.

I actually have to really revaluate a lot of the anime on my list and do a rescoring since a lot of my earlier scores probably dont match up with how I feel now.
Dec 20, 2023 7:03 PM

Sep 2012
For me a 6 mean it was ok to see only once so I put stuff I didn't like or stuff I dont remember at 5
Dec 20, 2023 7:22 PM
Apr 2022
it means its better than 4, worse than 6
Dec 20, 2023 7:23 PM
Feb 2022
Honestly nothing. Just that i expect it much more from them. If i would know they would be a 5, i wouldn't watched them.
Dec 20, 2023 7:25 PM

Feb 2014
There are 5☆ shows and 5☆ shows.

A show could be constantly mid, hence a 5☆. (eg Oreimo, Amagi Brilliant Park)

A show could either start/end well, but at some point it is bad, hence a 5☆. (eg Jormungand, Burn the Witch)

A show could have a great premise, but it develops it poorly, hence a 5☆. (eg Jigoku Shoujo, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha)

There are 5☆ shows that are boring and you would hardly be able to improve it, others with some minor tweaks might vastly improve it. A 5☆ show could still be salvageable if they ever intend to remake the show.
Dec 20, 2023 7:35 PM
Dec 2022
5/10 or 6/10 for me is like 'man it could had been better but you ruined it'. Giving it to an anime feels like I have wasted my 300mins in a trash which could have been better it the production really thought about it
Dec 20, 2023 7:36 PM

Mar 2022
Was enjoyable at some points but overall pretty shit.
Dec 20, 2023 7:46 PM
Jul 2022
For me, it would be average and boring. Enjoyed a few parts, but overall, felt nothing and will probably forget its existence as soon as I've finished it.
Dec 20, 2023 8:21 PM

Mar 2023
5/10 means it’s boring/ unoriginal and a bit of a chore to sit through. There isn’t bad moments that leave a nasty taste in my mouth but any memorable good moments either
OR
Equal parts good and memorable moments and poor/ disgusting/ stupid moments.

“Since when was this world so beautiful?” ~Yuuri (girl's last tour)
Dec 20, 2023 8:26 PM
Jul 2022
For me 5/10 are just boring animes. There's not much to talk about, usually. It's not interesting to watch, think about, dissect, discuss, etc. I usually try to not watch things that look boring or don't interest me, so naturally my average score is higher than a 5.
Dec 20, 2023 8:26 PM

Jun 2020
People tell me I am too generous with my ratings. I disagree, generally I feel that if a show has meaning for you and truly makes you happy then it deserves a high score regardless if it is widely viewed as top tier media. So as a result of this I tend to give quite high ratings across the board, Birdie Wing a 9 for instance. So with that being said, if I give something a 5 that means I just did not really gain anything from it. Does not necessarily mean that I actively dislike it, it just did not do anything for me.
Dec 20, 2023 8:46 PM

Dec 2016
5/10 = Base level of genuine enthusiasm/motivation towards a work (i.e. be a fan of). Anything lower at best (i.e. 4/10) is just a nice time-passer, good for once and that's all.
Dec 20, 2023 9:38 PM
May 2012
I consider 5 bad, dull, boring. I usually never go under 6, I choose carefully. I want to be moved, I want to be entertained, I'd like to learn stuff if I did know beforehand I was gonna give a 5 I wouldn't have watched them because I'm not interested.
Dec 20, 2023 9:48 PM

Apr 2016
It wasn't bad, wasn't that good either, just average. Any scores under 5 is a bad show.
Dec 20, 2023 9:55 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
A 5/10 for me would be something that doesn't really do anything for me. Serviceable in terms of production, and maybe approaching some level of competence, but rather mediocre overall.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Dec 20, 2023 10:29 PM

Aug 2010
5 to me is someting that's not particularly good nor bad, I had my fun with it or maybe find something new but I probably wouldn't rewatch nor recommend it to anyone.
Dec 20, 2023 10:37 PM

Dec 2012
It means it was so-so. 50-50 between liking it & not. Or maybe it was just so boring that I was indifferent to it.

I still use 7/10 as it was originally intended, which is to say that my average anime watching experience is good.
Dec 20, 2023 10:58 PM

Dec 2019
I think the names of each star in the site is somewhat meaningless. I'd consider an anime such as Charlotte to be "average", and that's a 7 for me. A 5/10 rating would be something that's mediocre to me, a show that's mostly bad except for a few things that make it bearable.

The way it works for me goes something like this:
1 - Absolutely unwatchable.
2 - Has absolutely nothing good about it, but I could at least sit through it without vomiting in the process.
3 - Mind-numbingly boring or almost entirely terrible.
4 - Somewhat bearable, but overall bad.
5 - Mediocre.
6 - Decent, mildly entertaining, but lacking quality.
7 - Good, entertaining for the most part, but has issues that I can't overlook.
8 - Great, enjoyable with minor issues.
9 - Near perfect.
10 - Masterpiece, no flaws whatsoever.

9 and 10 are relative scores to me, basically everything that's a 9 is very good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed any of the animes I gave a 10.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
Dec 20, 2023 11:06 PM

Sep 2021
5 is quite a rare rating on my list. Even though it says "average", most shows I've seen usually have either enough to get a 6 or are "bad" - so 4 or lower.

Gladly, there are more of shows I watched are in the former category (Mean Score 6.43). Honsetly, I wouldn't watch so much anime if half of them were below average ^^

As for my 3 actual "5"s:

- RWBY: Ice Queendom - Good Characters, but the plot was too complex and rushed towards the end. One strong point, one weak point. It was enjoyable, but too flawed for a 6.
- Ryza no Atelier - Would've been a fine (6/10) Slice of Life, but the fanservice was executed so awfully and destroyed the comfy atmosphere, so it went down to 5.
- Ayaka - Perhaps the most "5" show ever. It does everything it has to do and nothing more. Aside from 2 characters (one good, one bad), I couldn't name a good or bad point for this show.
Dec 20, 2023 11:58 PM

Jan 2021
10- amazing show, no holes
9- amazing show, few holes
8- great show, wouldn't complain
7- very good show, small complaints
6- pretty good, wouldn't highly recommend them
5- average, not bad but not too good
4- meh, no strong feelings but didn't like
3- bad, watched all and didn't think it was worth it
2 bad, couldn't watch all
1- garbage, cant understand how people like these

could be more detailed but that's abt what I rate based off of

2B on top

Dec 21, 2023 12:16 AM

Jun 2016
5s are usually the boring ones. The story is ok for the most part, they look acceptable but they are a chore to watch
OR
they were good but the ending is garbage. Many such cases.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 21, 2023 12:56 AM

Jan 2023
When I rate an anime a 5, it means there is exactly as much to like than to dislike about it.
If I rate it above it means there is more to like than to dislike imo.
Dec 21, 2023 1:04 AM

Jun 2019
It's probably easiest to explain it and for others to understand if I put it in relative terms - that is, in relation to nearby numerical scores on the scale.

Even though the literal descriptor for 5 on MAL is "Average", I don't use it that way and prefer to use 6 - 7 for the average of everything I've watched. The reason being that my view is my feelings toward what I watch will trend more toward the positive direction than the negative, because I don't watch what are to me an equal amount of good and bad things, or an equal amount of things I will like and dislike. I obviously seek out what I have some expectation of liking and being good based on established preferences (which, for me are quite broad and fluid, but still exist), because why wouldn't I? If I watch 1,000 anime, why on Earth should I watch 500 within them that look bad and I expect to be bad, or otherwise uninteresting/unappealing to me? It would make no sense. It seems like a perfect waste of time and energy, and siphoning time away from where I could be watching more promising things.

Therefore 7 is my standard, go-to, solid "good" rating, but like an average good. Nothing in it which yet (if it's a series which is ongoing and gets renewed later) reaches the height of my higher-rated ones of 8s, 9s, and 10s. 6 is also basically good, but definitely a lower good - the lower side of good or maybe more accurately, "decent". Either more noticeable bothersome faults and flaws or maybe minimal to no important faults and flaws, but just very not ambitious and paint by numbers/by the book/generic for what it is and could otherwise be. 6s are ones which either aim high but fall short in one or more glaring quality-reducing ways, or ones which are basically fine without a big flaw or flaws, but never aimed high to begin with.

And 5s in relation to all that, it's like one which has the flaws of a 6/10, but where the flaws are either so numerous or severe or both that they overpower the good moreso than in the case of 6s. Or there wasn't as much good in the first place. They are one of my more negative dispensed ratings and, in fact, easily the rating I've given out the most of which I consider firmly negative, considering I rarely use 2s - 4s by comparison, and that I have no 1s and may never use that rating.

As a result of taking all this into account, 5/10s, and even some 6/10s, are therefore my most painful ratings to give out, where there is the most upsetting gulf between my hopes and the reality of the work. 4s, 3s, and 2s are just the more extreme version of that theoretically deserving a harsher rebuke with each level you go down, but in actual practice I don't use those too often because I consider myself fairly lenient and they seem a little too cartoonishly punitive for most things I watch, even if lazy and vanilla or with garbled execution. I try to sift out the positives. And indeed 5s definitely do still have some positives - something which makes them worthwhile to watch, if just for the premise alone or some good music or voice acting or unique story structure or (probably) unintentional humor or anything else. In truth, even the series I stamp the rare 2 - 4 ratings on also have some positive attribute about them, otherwise I would just drop them and not even rate them. It's just a question of degree.
WatchTillTandavaDec 21, 2023 1:08 AM
Dec 21, 2023 1:05 AM

Jan 2020
5 is average for an anime I rated, not too bad or too good.

Dec 21, 2023 1:22 AM
Jul 2021
for me a 5 is just a show that didnt really have anything special. Didnt make me feel a certain way or what it was trying to convey just wasnt done very well
my candies :)
Dec 21, 2023 1:45 AM
Jul 2018
For me 5 is a show that's not good nor bad,usually something i don't exactly know how to feel about,with shows i rated 4 or below i can say why i don't like them but with 5's i can't really say much about what i liked or not they're just forgettable shows
Dec 21, 2023 2:28 AM

Sep 2020
It means that it's on the level of Spy X Family Part 2. Disappointing and frustratingly average.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Dec 21, 2023 2:34 AM

Jun 2020
Something that I consider edging the average and the enjoyment threshold. It can be ether stuff I watched to completion, or stuff I dropped. Its rare that I rate any dropped anime above a 5.
TechnopunkDec 21, 2023 2:39 AM

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Dec 21, 2023 3:44 AM

Mar 2008
I use 5 for a show that could have been enjoyable but is just boring but not bad per say but kinda bad in some ways
Dec 21, 2023 4:06 AM
Oct 2018
5 is average, mediocre, it has no particular qualities which elevate it above baseline competence and its flaws don't pull it down below that level either.

The scale runs from 1 - 10, I'm not sure what you would have to do to achieve a 1, maybe... forget to add the audio track and accidentally randomise every frame of the video? But yea, 10s should be very rare and represent either the highest form of the medium or something groundbreaking... reviews should have something of a bell curve shape but with more on the 10 end than the 1 end lol
Dec 21, 2023 4:41 AM

May 2018
How about mid? I am mid, I like mid. Even my mean score is 5.18.
Dec 21, 2023 4:45 AM

Jul 2021
it means the anime is "eh" for me. very very bad, close to being atrocious

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 21, 2023 4:46 AM
Mar 2022
Just another show, something that I’d probably forget in a few months
Dec 21, 2023 5:54 AM

Jun 2016
Score of 5 is under the least enjoyable shows that I score 6 and slightly better than shows that I hate (which I score 4,3,2 and 1 accordingly by the amount of hate towards them). So basically a show that left no emotions to remember at all.
Dec 21, 2023 6:13 AM
Apr 2023
I only rate animes I finished too.
So if I rate the anime a 5 (or a 6) usually it means it's underwhelming OR failing in all its attempts in storytelling/plot OR just not my cup of tea.
Dec 21, 2023 6:32 AM

Feb 2014
10 - 9 Most people will like this
8 - 7 Good but some might not like it
6 Average
5 Below average
4 - 3 A select few may like it
2 -1 Most people won't like it
I began to sense faintly that secrecy is the keystone of all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy . . . censorship. When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, “This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know,” the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.
Dec 21, 2023 7:17 AM

Feb 2021
To me, it's not a good but not exactly a bad anime. And even the 5 rating it got depends on different things like either if the animation and art was pretty good or not an exactly bad story etc.
Alice23_Dec 21, 2023 7:20 AM
Dec 21, 2023 8:05 AM

Apr 2020
Mostly bad or passable shows that still I still managed to get some entertainment value out of. Neither too good or too bad.

I wouldn't say it's the average. The average for me would be between 6 and 8. I try to rate it like a test. 5 is not a failure but it barely passed the mark.
Dec 21, 2023 8:25 AM
Nov 2023
I've found myself only rating shows between 6-10, so a 5 would most like have been dropped already.
Dec 21, 2023 8:25 AM

Jul 2019
Bad, but not so bad as to cause mental anguish. Might even be worth watching if you find yourself in a particular mood, or are in a position where you can only watch about 5 minutes of show an hour and don't want to worry about missing anything. 6 is my average score if that puts things into perspective.
Dec 21, 2023 9:16 AM

Jun 2021
I don't usually give a 5 rate to an anime, even the lowest i rate was 7, if i rate anime a 5 that must be a bad anime for me.
Dec 21, 2023 10:02 AM

Sep 2014
usually i just dropped something/stopped watching if something was truely unwatchable for me. so if i gave it a 5, it was good enough to watch, even if not a contender to be one of my favorites. although i dont rate most a 5..usually i rate pretty highly or otherwist just drop the anime i get around to watching. or just rewatch something.
Dec 21, 2023 10:29 AM

Apr 2023
A 5 means that it wasn't totally terrible or anything, but overall there were some pretty significant problems that stop me from saying that I genuinely enjoyed it. However, there were some things saving it from being a "bad" anime.
Dec 21, 2023 11:16 AM
Jul 2020
My 5s pretty much align with yours – I find these titles bland or uninspired. Similarly, if a title evokes nothing in me, it gets that rating.
Dec 21, 2023 11:36 AM

Feb 2017
A five for me is mostly average but leaning towards negative, while a six is mostly average but leaning towards positive. If I give something a five it usually means I feel at least a bit negatively towards it but it's not bad enough to warrant a 4 or lower. Or it's something I truly don't have an opinion on, like I tend to rate anime shorts and music videos a 5 if they don't stand out much to me. The overall scores on MAL are pretty inflated, like the scoring system feels like it's 6-9 rather than a 1-10, so I don't base my own scores off of how mal's ratings are.
Dec 21, 2023 11:59 AM

Apr 2011
@Cammell123

"most anime have score around 7, not around 5"

FYI the average mean score is 6.14

Also 5 is not the real "average" rating. It'd be if MAL had a 0/10 rating but since it doesn't the real average is really 5.5
Dec 21, 2023 12:02 PM

Aug 2016
an score can mean many things. a 5 could be an average anime that never imrpoved or got worse, an anime that had a great 1st half and a boring second one, a good anime that had a dissapointing ending, a decent script with mediocre visuals, an anime with lot of ups and downs etc.
:v
Dec 21, 2023 12:20 PM

Jan 2020
5 is for me is meh, mediocre, didn't get much of it but didn't hate it or, in some cases, unsure if to rate 10 or 1 (Cipher for example).
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Dec 21, 2023 12:53 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to MichaelJackson
an score can mean many things. a 5 could be an average anime that never imrpoved or got worse, an anime that had a great 1st half and a boring second one, a good anime that had a dissapointing ending, a decent script with mediocre visuals, an anime with lot of ups and downs etc.
MichaelJackson said:

That's generally how I rate an anime 5/10, depending on how it's paced with it's story/plot and visual.
Dec 21, 2023 1:30 PM

Dec 2020
A 5 for me is completely neutral. Not good, not bad, jut kinda meh. Though if you see a show has a score of 5 on mal its probably pretty awful, people tend to rate shows really highly on here.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

20 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

56 by Spunkert »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 5 hours ago

9 by DigiCat »»
16 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

20 by DigiCat »»
31 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

11 by Avicebrons »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.