Forum Settings
Forums

Lets get to know what the Active Users on MAL really want from this Medium.

New
Jun 5, 2023 7:54 AM

Mar 2021
The MAL forums in the Anime Discussion section tends to usually look like a dumping ground for Western Users to complain and whine on just about anything dealing with this medium. Either that or simply create topics disguised as a thought experiments that leave a wide opening just to elevate or trash on things the User doesn't like.

So here is your chance to simply make your wish list public and let the entire community know how hypothetically if you were in charge of everything from top to bottom of the food chain in this industry, what would you do to change things so this medium could be this perfect form of media entertainment just for you.

What do you as a consumer really want from this medium to make it perfect? Go a head and be as creative as possible and don't be shy on the details no matter how unrealistic or outlandish it might come off as.

Just pretend for a moment you had the power to instantly change Anime to be exactly the thing you want.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 5, 2023 8:08 AM

Feb 2022
i don't know what else but would get rid of monogamous romance 100% pero~
Jun 5, 2023 8:12 AM

Jul 2022
Main characters who serve no purpose, especially in romance anime.
(/s)
Say-My-NameJun 6, 2023 4:00 AM
Jun 5, 2023 8:18 AM

Jul 2022
Assuming everything you learn in ECON 101 no longer applies, make all anime free and legal from one provider.
Jun 5, 2023 8:21 AM

May 2018
I want detective shows like Conan and Kindachi, space opera like Chikyuugai Shounen Shoujo and combinations of genres like Shadows House, Summertime Render and Hikari no Ou.
Jun 5, 2023 8:27 AM

Sep 2017
We definitively need more space anime. The 70s to 90s were a golden era for these, I wish there were more recent ones (good ones, of course. I've already watched Space Brothers, Yamato 2199 and Kanata no Astra)

Also, more yaoi anime casting adults instead of teens, that would be great too (I would even dare to suggest bara anime, I've never seen one in my entire life)
Jun 5, 2023 8:28 AM

Sep 2010
I want more lolis and more uncensored tiddies in anime.
Jun 5, 2023 8:34 AM

Mar 2018
More loli fan service, and more experimental shows instead of just making what sells.
Jun 5, 2023 8:39 AM

Sep 2020
For every genre, I'd like to see fewer shows with predictable plots and overused clichés. I'm done figuring everything out in one episode. Mostly, romance and ''shoujo'' series could have better plots.
Jun 5, 2023 8:46 AM

Jun 2019
More anime originals. Especially ones with hot blooded giant robot action. Or something weird/experimental. 

Jun 5, 2023 8:47 AM

Jun 2020
Haha, I understand your concern in the first paragraph but how will this thread be any change from what you are complaining.

I just want to see the second season of NGNL.
Jun 5, 2023 8:49 AM

Mar 2023
More anime with more than 13 episodes would be great.
Jun 5, 2023 8:50 AM

Feb 2020
More CGDCT, yuri, ecchi and sports with all-female cast, yokai anime, etc.
Jun 5, 2023 8:51 AM
Oct 2019
Nothing because nothing to be change. The way that it's still handled locally in most steps of the process it's what make it appealing. The day they stop that it's the day they relinquish their identity through what they use the medium for.
Jun 5, 2023 8:52 AM

May 2019
Get rid of isekai, harem, and mediocre high school romcoms. Bring more space-themed shows in each season and long cour shows back.

Jun 5, 2023 8:57 AM

Aug 2021
for what im into, i want more futuristic idol anime..the ones i know i think have really cool concepts and i would love to see it played with more ^^

ALSO PLEASE MORE NEW MAGICAL GIRL SHOWS/FRANCHISES!! the ones we have right now are great (sailor moon, cardcaptor sakura, pretty cure obviously) but i wanna see new animes with the concept! its been a bit since we got one

\/ also adding on more originals and higher wages from the below
juliayousoroJun 5, 2023 9:02 AM
Jun 5, 2023 9:00 AM

Jun 2023
Less isekai, less quirky highschool girl falls in love with average NPC male character,less incel pandering, more sharks, more anime original content,higher wages for animators, different style of animation for CG anime
Jun 5, 2023 9:05 AM

Jul 2014
Honestly, I wouldn't want to change it. I know the stuff I want and like in anime is most often not really what the majority wants, and would lead to even more satisfaction than what there already is.
But it would be nice with more variety in science fiction and mecha shows, more psychological dramas too. I've really not been interested in the staggering amount of isekai still being made, especially the "quirky" ones that try to subvert it in the most superficial way. I'm also just not into most romance anime nowadays, probably because I'm not a high schooler so a lot of it just doesn't speak to me.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Jun 5, 2023 9:09 AM

Oct 2010
I wouldn't do much, the only thing I would ask of people involved in an anime production is to love anime, if you say you hate anime and you like movies, then I would just fire the guy. People like that have no place in anime making and they should go work in other domains
Jun 5, 2023 9:32 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
*the industry will be led by creatives and animators, rather than suits and all shall be compensated generously and be able to pursue their passions. 

*every anime will have a production that answers to high standards, fluid and more importantly, consistent animation and visuals all around, better writing for originals, better dialogue and so on and so forth.

*adaptations will go as far as they can, that is they last until there's no more source or the show is complete, anime shall no longer be just fancy commercials commisioned by publishers of the source material or what have you!

there's a lot more that could be said, but i'll make due with these points for now.
Jun 5, 2023 9:49 AM
Oct 2019
What I want is simple. No Game No Life season 2, Chainsaw Man season 2, Steel Ball Run anime, and a more faithful Soul Eater adaptation. That is all. Everything else that I want has already been announced, and is in production.

But assuming that we're talking about specifically the changes I'd wanna make to the industry, there's only one simple change that I'd make. No more production committees. Once a studio picks up an anime, they get full control of that adaptation unless and until they give up on it, and another studio can pick it up. Adaptations would still be funded by the publishers of the source material (Kadokawa, Kodansha, Shueisha, Square Enix, and all the smaller ones), but the studios would have all the freedom that Mappa currently has with Chainsaw Man. Most importantly, they get to choose the production schedule (so they don't have to be rushed and meet unrealistic expectations), and they get to choose if and when new content is produced (meaning that the studio could make a new season of an anime they worked on whenever they want, instead of having to wait for it to be greenlit by the production committee)

I guess I'd also want animators to be paid better, since they're apparently really underpaid for their work, and I believe that everyone should be compensated fairly for the work that they do, even if that puts a small dent in the profits of a large corporation.
Jun 5, 2023 9:50 AM

Feb 2017
More josei/seinen series and more anime originals would be nice. I kinda just wanna see more passion projects in general, regardless of what's being made if the artists behind it are passionate about it I'll be happy. 
Jun 5, 2023 11:08 AM

Feb 2023
More monogamy romance and more psychological thrillers in general.

Absolutely NO isekai power fantasy with an edgy gary stu as the MC. No polygamy trash either.
StyxParadiseJun 5, 2023 4:26 PM
Jun 5, 2023 11:14 AM

Oct 2017
A few war dramas/war stories/war media every single season. Mix of fantasy, sci fi and historical settings for those war dramas. Military shows are pretty much my favourite genre. 

Historical titles in general dramas, SOL shows etc. Nice to try to bring in settings that aren't covered that often like say what A Bride's Story did.

All romance stories now need actual progression with a minimum a kiss and intimacy.

Cut LN fantasy adaptions significantly and just adapt Western High fantasy works that haven't been adapted or adapted badly like Wheel of Time or anything Sanderson has written (his writing honestly could fit in anime better than live action). 

Mandate that writers of High medieval European fantasy actually have to do some research of the history of the worlds they are pulling from. Just in general cut anything thing that is inspired from video games. Also prioritize stuff that isn't High European Medieval fantasy. We could use more stuff like Yona of the Dawn or just straight up give Yona of the Dawn a full adaption. 

Better balance between Teen, adult and kids casts. I am not some bitter 20 something or old dude that can't handle teens as my main characters. That said I think especially mainly in SOL settings older casts add a lot of variety of perspective. Hey I mean a lot of people just want older characters so they can "relate more" to them. I wouldn't mind characters way older than me. March Comes in Like a Lion some of the best moments are focusing on some older guys like Shimada and Sakutarou.

Uncensored hentai that covers a decent amount of everything with animation on at least Interspecisis Reviewers levels. Hey get someone like Trigger to animate a hentai with just as much Sakuga for kicks. Also no more fanservice gags and pretty much just make most ecchi hentai.

Sports anime that focus way more on the pro side of things. Stop doing HS stuff and start setting more things in like a J-League pro soccer, baseball or the Olympics. it's hard to always fathom how dramatic anime makes HS sports. The biggest stakes are in the pro side of things which is more impactful. You don't always have to focus on the athletes too. An anime version of Moneyball would be cool. 

Try to increase the amount of originals. 

Bring more female targeted media to the limelight. 

Harem shows that are actually about polygamous relationships instead of stupid love triangles. 

Cut down on production times and ensure people have livable wages would be awesome lol but probably the most unrealistic want here. 
BilboBaggins365Jun 5, 2023 11:21 AM
Jun 5, 2023 11:19 AM

May 2023
things that are fun to watch are good so more enjoyable stuff

preferably good anime adaptations of stuff I like
Jun 5, 2023 11:20 AM

Oct 2017
tomasowa said:
To be fair, there is zero fun in controlling everything in the Universe.
If one were ever to be able to accomplish such a feat then there is nothing left of others to distinguish from oneself.

There are few fates worse than living in a world alone, which is why humanity searches space for the diversity it lost when Neanderthals, Denisovans and the actual humans who cohabitated with them finally died away.
This effort is as old as recorded history and long before the middle of last century when we found out, through DNA technology, that we are indeed interspecies mongrels.

It is hilarious when the same West that go on about freedom of expression starts bemoaning how anime producers' application of those very same freedoms are not in line with their personal world views.
Just another day with another case of Western hypocrisy, it seems.

Ultimately, it is an iteration of the Westplaining logic where the World should be free to do whatever it wants as long as it's exactly what the West wants.
The United States is the most obvious follower of this logic and blames every non-Western Government as undemocratic if they say the same thing but in an actual direct way.

As such and as a Eurasian, allow me.
Personally, as long as said anime does not violate laws that govern the Country it's being distributed in, then there is absolutely nothing to complain about.

The market will weed out those that it does not like from those with mainstream appeal.
As shocking as it is to the Western point of view, the World is vast and wide and with many opinions that are, by definition, non-Western ...
WTF are you talking about lol? People are just giving their unrealistic ultimate desires of what would make the anime industry perfect for them. This isn't a thread bashing the industry or what comes out. Lots of us are happy but sure if we had total control I mean yeah I would make changes. We all have preferences we would like to see more of. 
Jun 5, 2023 11:21 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
i dont want anything lol animes fine as it is

Jun 5, 2023 11:28 AM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
More isekai with overpowered protagonist like shadow and more fanservice in general.
Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Jun 5, 2023 12:22 PM

Oct 2017
tomasowa said:
BilboBaggins365 said:
Lots of us are happy but sure

To be fair, if you had more understanding of either the English language, your own emotions or both, this would not be as hilarious as it is asinine.
As such, let's put it in a way you would understand.

Mother says she's happy with you but sure, if she could change you then she would.
She then writes a wall of text like you have, explaining everything she could change.

Then Mother Replies to an online random who points out that she is not happy with you in the first place, feigning insult.
Does that make it any easier to comprehend or is the language barrier still too much ...
Are you just trolling lol? 

I may not understand English apparently like you do but I do understand what a false equivalence is. How does familial relationships have anything to do with corporate industries that produce hundreds of products a year? 

I still enjoy plenty of what comes out from action titles, some SOL shows, some fantasy even high fantasy, some of the sci fi titles etc but things can always be better. To me a media industry is doing well if I can enjoy a decent amount of new releases which is true for anime. In an unrealistic future though could be all titles. 

Some of those wants aren't even new to the industry like anime bringing back more war dramas which we used to get plenty of due to the dominance of mecha. Even to consider your stupid false equivalence yeah people in families will notice faults and encourage and support you to improve while also emphasizing your good points. 

Granted considering how you give any sort of criticism I guess you don't know constructive criticism. It's either unrelenting praise or I am going to be an a-hole. According to you the Don't Ask Questions just consume the product meme is literally how you should approach a media industry lol. 
BilboBaggins365Jun 5, 2023 12:28 PM
Jun 5, 2023 12:25 PM
❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀

Oct 2019
More dystopian space westerns!!! 
More movies would be nice too. The kind that are really beautifully animated. 
Jun 5, 2023 12:35 PM

Aug 2016
I want Hunter x Hunter to continue. That's it. That's my only wish.
Jun 5, 2023 12:41 PM

Feb 2011
More JK titties, legs, assess, feet, thighs, rib cages, collarbones, napes, etc.
Jun 5, 2023 1:48 PM

Apr 2023
We need more endings. Dont even have to be good, just a fckn conclusion for once.

More open towards unique art styles like ping pong, mob psycho, afro samurai, panty and stocking and so on showed.

If the anime is getting too close to the anime, just stop it. No filler, no slow pacing - just put it onhold and wait a few years.

We also need more original anime like Kill la Kill for example. They obviously dont depend on something else then.

More anime with adults as main characters, im talking 20+, 30+, 40+, hell even 70+!
Jun 5, 2023 2:10 PM

Oct 2017
tomasowa said:
BilboBaggins365 said:
I do understand what a false equivalence is

Unfortunately, you do not.
If you cannot even understand the direct comparisons of an analogy but go out of your way to find its differences than that says more about your denialism than anything else.

That said, you would need to understand the language to grasp analogies, as they only have one thing in common with what people use them to compare with but a multitude of differences which someone who does not understand the concept would be quick to point out.
This is my roundabout way of asking whether you're old enough to use the Internet unsupervised.

I do, however, pity the people who may regard you as someone close whose opinion matters.
It must suck to be them, having someone in a position that emotionally affects them who can never actually express any positivity without belying the multitude of negativity they actually feel.

Or did you really think the mentality of your opinion about anime lives in a bubble, detached from other facets of your life ...
Well if you get off on trolling not going to judge you. We all get off on something. 
Jun 5, 2023 2:16 PM

Oct 2017
More shoujo adaptations on screen since shonen content while good does kinda overwhelm the vast majority of popular anime.

More anime original shows with artistic freedom given to the director to bring unique experiences to the screen that you can't get anywhere else and have an artistic flair.

Somewhat related to the last point, I would like to see more LGBT stories actually written by queer creators since while cishet creators can make great queer stories with enough care and attention put into it (Given is a great example as it is a gay romance story that I felt was really well written and resonated with me pre-transition, but was written by a woman instead of a gay guy), queer creators writing queer stories can lead to an added level of authenticity. In general I just want to see even more great queer stories on screen, not just in anime but in film as well. 

Allow Polyamorous relationships in romance anime since love triangle plots are a bit overdone and I think it would be good for actual polyamorous people like me to see it normalized in media.

Better color choices for shadows and highlights to add more contrast and make the image more. It seems a lot of anime is actually starting to do this, but I think it should be pointed out nonetheless.

Better more natural choices for wording in translations as sometimes there are some odd decisions that are made. I think someone should proofread subtitles before release in order to make sure it reads naturally. 

Adapt some Western comics/novels ocassionally. I think it would be kinda cool to see another culture's interpretation of works from other countries. I love the tokusatsu Spider-Man show so I am kinda biased to see interesting alternate takes on Western media from Eastern artists

I also really want to see everyone on the ladder of the production get good wages that are enough to live a comfortable life and better working conditions since so many workers on the pipeline of production, from animators, voice actors, storyboard artists, translators, composers, and audio engineers do not get nearly the respect, monetary compensation, and treatment they deserve. It's not just Japanese work culture that causes these issues, these issues are also present in localization areas such as dubbing, translation, ADR etc as the systems in place do not support the workers who make our favorite shows come together. Can blame that on the broken economic systems we live in. 
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jun 5, 2023 2:19 PM

Jul 2015
Less quantity and more quality adaptations, especially light novel ones!
Jun 5, 2023 2:36 PM

Dec 2018
It's simple 

I want cute little anime girls all of them have to be lesbians 

My angels shall kiss,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

And most importantly NO males are allowed around my angels. I only accept cute lesbians 

Until I get what I want from Japan, I going to bitch and complain about everything I can come up with =) 

Oh I also want more incest like lesbian twin sisters,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Twincest is wincest after all Hehehehehehehe 

Jun 5, 2023 4:11 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I want more badass femdom women in all genres and themes of anime.. Preferably in cops/mystery/murder/thriller/tantei/martial art/yokai/ghosts/action

Jun 5, 2023 5:14 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I wish the active members on Mal actually increase and more people start posting on forums and quote/reply to each other....

Jun 5, 2023 5:15 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@alshu They make couple of tantei live-action drama every season with materials from various Manga and novels, I don't understand why they don't do that in anime..
as it's less expensive to make

Jun 5, 2023 5:16 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@Serafos yes I want youkai and women sports anime too

Jun 5, 2023 5:19 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@VivaceRex yes of course.. There hasn't been space themed anime recently..
last one I saw was robbie hachi and Celestial method..
We need more aliens

Jun 5, 2023 5:20 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@ChouunShiryuu we need more romance anime like Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl,
And Electromagnetic Girlfriend

Jun 5, 2023 9:21 PM

Feb 2016
I know what I like, but I don't know what I want.
That's basically my whole approach to life.
その目だれの目?
Jun 5, 2023 9:39 PM

Feb 2016
Damuzen said:
We definitively need more space anime. The 70s to 90s were a golden era for these, I wish there were more recent ones (good ones, of course. I've already watched Space Brothers, Yamato 2199 and Kanata no Astra)
I agree, but you haven't watched any of my favorites except Astra.

I recommend Yuri On Ice and This Boy is a Professional Wizard for your next couple of gay anime.
その目だれの目?
Jun 5, 2023 9:53 PM

Mar 2021
Shows with horror and mystery elements. 
Experimental shows which deals with new concept. 
I also want major studios to adapt some popular yet underrated mangas.
More anime orignals

𝓜𝓪𝔂𝓫𝓮 𝔀𝓮 𝓽𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓭 𝓽𝓸 𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪𝓼 𝓶𝓾𝓬𝓱 𝓶𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓸𝓯 𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼𝓮𝓵𝓿𝓮𝓼 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓮𝓪𝓬𝓱 𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓫𝓮𝓬𝓪𝓾𝓼𝓮 𝔀𝓮 𝓴𝓷𝓮𝔀 𝓸𝓷𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝔀𝓮 𝔀𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭𝓷'𝓽 𝓫𝓮 𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓮𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓷𝔂 𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓮
Jun 5, 2023 10:20 PM

Dec 2018
What I think would be most beneficial/ would love to see is for studios to see what anime fans want. For example (X) studio on their website could post a poll asking what people would be interested in.
The poll could be something like this:

• A new anime original
  • Adapting a new series
  • Giving an older show another season

Then they could take those results and internally ( inside the studio) decide what series and such, or they could once again leave it to fans by posting a forum and asking what viewers would like to see. Once the results come in, they could try to convince investors by using sales data for source material / how a previous season did/ whatever is necessary.
Of course, investors (or whoever actually pays for everything to be done) could decide if the studio should do it or what it should do.

Obviously, this is extremely unlikely to happen, but I would love to see it somehow occur.
Jun 5, 2023 10:38 PM

Oct 2014
I'm only here to announce that Oshi no Ko is overrated.
Jun 6, 2023 12:26 AM

May 2018
ryo-san said:
They make couple of tantei live-action drama every season with materials from various Manga and novels, I don't understand why they don't do that in anime..
as it's less expensive to make

1. The Conan + Kindaichi live actions I have glanced upon were terrible, so good riddance.
2. They may be inexpensive, but I suspect they are quite unpopular in comparison to soap opera.
Jun 6, 2023 12:57 AM

Mar 2013
More unhinged loli debauchery is needed.

The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 5 hours ago

24 by APolygons2 »»
3 seconds ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - 5 minutes ago

2 by Rhaelynne »»
1 minute ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 40 minutes ago

10 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

21 by PlasticRobot »»
3 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

7 by traed »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.