Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 18, 2023 7:17 PM

Aug 2022
Every once in a while someone on MAL just loses the plot, sometimes by posting a million posts that seem to get wilder and wilder, and other times someone just has a full-blown mental breakdown (not people who had actual mental breakdowns btw I just mean folks who straight up lose their shit and go full Alex Jones) for all to see. Needless to say, MAL has had its fair share of unhinged moments.

What have been some of your favorite unhinged moments that you have witnessed during your time on MAL?
struggler_senseiApr 18, 2023 7:49 PM
Apr 18, 2023 7:40 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Nah, I've witnessed numerous such moments, but I don't think it's appropriate to mention or discuss them. People's lives can be really messed up and mental health is often being neglected at large. They often use such online spaces to vent or to try to be heard by someone, and it's not uncommon for someone to have a breakdown here after going through a difficult phase in their life.

While none of this excuses certain types of behavior, I'd avoid making fun of people or constantly reproaching them for their past mistakes. (Unless the person hasn't changed or is showing no signs of improvement or remorse.)
Apr 18, 2023 7:46 PM

Aug 2022
149597871 said:
Nah, I've witnessed numerous such moments, but I don't think it's appropriate to mention or discuss them. People's lives can be really messed up and mental health is often being neglected at large. They often use such online spaces to vent or to try to be heard by someone, and it's not uncommon for someone to have a breakdown here after going through a difficult phase in their life.

P.S. went ahead and edited the original post to clarify what I meant 

While none of this excuses certain types of behavior, I'd avoid making fun of people or constantly reproaching them for their past mistakes. (Unless the person hasn't changed or is showing no signs of improvement or remorse.)
I agree to the extent of people who are clearly in a bad space and generally, those aren't considered funny moments, and perhaps I should specify that I don't mean folks who have legitimate mental breakdowns as much as folks who for whatever reason just progressively start posting more and more combative unhinged nonsense. 
Apr 18, 2023 7:47 PM

May 2013
I sometimes look back on a specific thread I made for this reason. To go "Wow, look at this retard" and be glad I am not in that place currently.

I can make fun of myself with no ethical consequence on my conscious. Funny coming from me, a person who religiously follows internet gossip and drama but you get the point.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Apr 18, 2023 7:53 PM

Aug 2022
_Nette_ said:
I sometimes look back on a specific thread I made for this reason.  To go "Wow, look at this retard" and be glad I am not in that place currently.

I can make fun of myself with no ethical consequence on my conscious.  Funny coming from me, a person who religiously follows internet gossip and drama but you get the point.
Keeping yourself in check with digital receipts, brutal but effective. My ADHD brain does it for me in random intervals with thoughts like "Remember when you did this..." and then I stare at my ceiling in horror and dread, as I slowly die from cringe.
Apr 18, 2023 8:15 PM

Mar 2023
Well seeing how I haven't been here for long, I'd say what happened to Crow_Black yesterday (or I guess disappeared_ghost now). Kinda sad to see someones YouTube recommend filled with negative and hateful content like that. I find it crazy that people don't just use social media purely for memes.    

:3
Apr 18, 2023 10:59 PM

Jun 2011
When that hacker renamed an anime to be him vs Xinil.
Apr 18, 2023 11:26 PM

Feb 2010
struggler_sensei said:
Every once in a while someone on MAL just loses the plot, sometimes by posting a million posts that seem to get wilder and wilder, and other times someone just has a full-blown mental breakdown (not people who had actual mental breakdowns btw I just mean folks who straight up lose their shit and go full Alex Jones) for all to see. Needless to say, MAL has had its fair share of unhinged moments.

What have been some of your favorite unhinged moments that you have witnessed during your time on MAL?
that time alterius started sending people death threats to people in PMs and got permabanned finally. 
Narmy said:
haha that a good one as well. 
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 18, 2023 11:37 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Frebby said:
Well seeing how I haven't been here for long, I'd say what happened to Crow_Black yesterday (or I guess disappeared_ghost now). Kinda sad to see someones YouTube recommend filled with negative and hateful content like that. I find it crazy that people don't just use social media purely for memes.

There have been many other such cases, sadly. I honestly can't help but blame stupid social media algorithms that keep feeding you only a certain type of content in order to sell as much of your time as possible to advertisers. I hope Crow takes a break from the internet and stops watching all this garbage.

I've personally disabled all data collecting (where possible) and use YouTube almost exclusively for music.
Apr 18, 2023 11:53 PM
Jan 2019
Perhaps I wouldn't remember it as vividly as I do if I wasn't one of the people involved, but about two years ago some troll went off the rails. They either appeared in a discussion about people's favourite bl/gl anime/manga or they were the OP with their own hate thread (if I recall correctly) and after a few rage posts, started individually replying to people's posts with one or two sentence insults and threats. After a few hours they moved to people's profile comments and continued with the same insults and threats. I still remember being on the train on my way from university and seeing several DMs all reading along the lines of "fucking homo lover gross f*g bitch go die" and getting messages from other confused people from the thread like "hey are you getting the same crazy dms from that person?". It was all sorted out after a day or two, but good god did it leave me dumbfounded. 

(also some people said uno reverse card and went to fuck with them in return, sending memes and shit back to their dms, I didn't dare to in fear of them revenge sending even more dms my way but it was pretty funny seeing their hate backfiring lol) 
Apr 18, 2023 11:53 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
This thread will probably get locked. Then again, the mods seem to have gone awol so who knows?

I just get bummed out more than anything when it comes to that kind of thing. It stopped being funny after IronicExArmFan, and then most of them keep getting sadder and sadder.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Apr 18, 2023 11:56 PM

Feb 2010
149597871 said:
Frebby said:

There have been many other such cases, sadly. I honestly can't help but blame stupid social media algorithms that keep feeding you only a certain type of content in order to sell as much of your time as possible to advertisers. I hope Crow takes a break from the internet and stops watching all this garbage.

I've personally disabled all data collecting (where possible) and use YouTube almost exclusively for music.
am i the only one that almost exlusively gets only anime video game and funny animal videos?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 19, 2023 12:08 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
GrimAtrament said:
149597871 said:

am i the only one that almost exlusively gets only anime video game and funny animal videos?

LOL, that's kind of my TikTok feed right now. (N-not that I use TikTok, b-baka >_<)

I don't know what's about YouTube, but once you watch a single political video, be it a mere news broadcast, it starts bombarding you with such content and then slowly adjusts itself according to your already existing views and biases (strengthening them in the process). I sometimes click on things my friends send me, and then I have to manually remove this type of content from my recs otherwise it won't stop popping up.
Apr 19, 2023 4:03 AM

Jan 2009
Narmy said:

SSJMaster vs Xinil a story of epic battles

that one is classic since it was a yearly occurrence for that hacker to rename like majority of the database entries to that title lol

i kinda miss it but Xinil retired now and the MAL security of their website is now better so SSJMaster cannot hack it now
Apr 19, 2023 5:35 AM

Oct 2015
>unhinged
>lost the plot

Oh, I know where OP comes from...

OT:

There's a MAL blog of a user who documented the insanity of MALers, with the last entry being of 2020. Pretty much every one of them qualify. Here you go bud

https://myanimelist.net/blog/Railey2
Apr 19, 2023 5:50 AM

Aug 2022
Auron_ said:
>unhinged
>lost the plot

OT:

There's a MAL blog of a user who documented the insanity of MALers, with the last entry being of 2020. Pretty much every one of them qualify. Here you go bud

That is dedication and I'm here for it. thanks, you understood the assignment. 
Apr 19, 2023 5:55 AM

Oct 2020
i have not seen a unhinged mal post but i sure want to see one next time

Apr 19, 2023 5:58 AM

Jan 2022
This thread was made because of Crow_black's mental breakdown situation, isn't it?
Other than them, that GenshinRossaria guy situation. He is just an egoistic mf lmao

I should stay long enough to see other unhinged moments around here
Blueberry-vomitApr 19, 2023 6:03 AM

こんにちは はじめまして
さようなら またあした
@suenagaharuto
Apr 19, 2023 6:10 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
deg said:
Narmy said:

that one is classic since it was a yearly occurrence for that hacker to rename like majority of the database entries to that title lol

i kinda miss it but Xinil retired now and the MAL security of their website is now better so SSJMaster cannot hack it now

That was epic, today's toxic flame wars fail in comparison to how good that was lmao
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Apr 19, 2023 6:27 AM

Nov 2017
I don't think I have one, even though I've seen a number of 'em.

It just gets to the point it's not funny anymore. It's not cute, it's not amusing, it's not interesting. It's just sad and pitiful. Like, you literally feel bad for these people (even if they are awful). I know those same kind of people are unhappy/miserable and insecure, but still, it's not a good look 😬
Apr 19, 2023 6:39 AM

Jul 2016
it was some time ago, a bit recently. i stumbled upon either an AD or CD thread where Crow_Black commented a single post. reading it, i thought it was awfully hypocritical to the extent of hilarity on their part. something about the internet. but since i had long blocked them and refuse to interact, once again the hogwashery would probably stay untouched as usual. until i scrolled past it to see a flux of responses just straight up roasting that user to my gleeful shock, for all the hatred and judgement he gave over the years. it was as if a politician was being publicly lampooned!
Apr 19, 2023 6:42 AM

Dec 2015
A guy who appears from time to time, I think last time he has appeared around 1-2 weeks ago who uses alts, Psyduck/Psajdak etc. are his nickname.

From time to time he goes here and post some NSFW Hentai pictures/gifs or scat at forums, sometimes it is for 1-2 thread, the first one I've noticed him was when he spammed it like under 10-20 threads before he was banned.
Apr 19, 2023 6:51 AM

Jan 2009
3miL said:
deg said:

That was epic, today's toxic flame wars fail in comparison to how good that was lmao

lol you can feel on the posts of Xinil that he is frustrated with that SSJMaster hacker for years since Xinil even offered "lets talk" one time to the hacker if i remember right
Apr 19, 2023 6:56 AM

Dec 2015
It happens every so often, I can't lie that I find it amusing every time that it happens but I would never wish someone bad in real life, so hopefully those people get their shit together :).
On the other hand, if you are gonna post controversial/unhinged/combative threads all day you can kinda expect a lot of backlash on those, I also like to reply on them myself.
Not everyone thinks alike and that is probably one of the big reasons the Current Events thread got canned and why every time a thread/post like that gets posted it ends up in a shitshorm.
Apr 19, 2023 7:27 AM
Jul 2018
149597871 said:
GrimAtrament said:

LOL, that's kind of my TikTok feed right now. (N-not that I use TikTok, b-baka >_<)

I don't know what's about YouTube, but once you watch a single political video, be it a mere news broadcast, it starts bombarding you with such content and then slowly adjusts itself according to your already existing views and biases (strengthening them in the process). I sometimes click on things my friends send me, and then I have to manually remove this type of content from my recs otherwise it won't stop popping up.

I proudly use Tiktok haha. My feed is full of biologists, (astro)physicists, etc. The legit ones, not the bullshit clickbaits.
AND animals, DnD and anime stuff lol.
People who say that one social medium in particular is shit, often either just echo what they hear about them or don't know how to feed an algorithm.

But I really agree that social media are abused to spread hate and manipulate elections ... on the other hand, you don't have to take in every hatred misinformation you read. It's ofc harder to do, if that's all you know from your feed or personal environment.
Apr 19, 2023 7:52 AM
Jul 2018
Blueberry-vomit said:
This thread was made because of Crow_black's mental breakdown situation, isn't it?
Other than them, that GenshinRossaria guy situation. He is just an egoistic mf lmao

I should stay long enough to see other unhinged moments around here
Yeah I haven't seen that many crazies. I have to agree Crow_black's anti-woke tirade yesterday and GenshinRossaria's infamous threads are probably what come to mind. I'm not super active on the forums so I probably missed some.
Apr 19, 2023 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
Joopster said:
It happens every so often, I can't lie that I find it amusing every time that it happens but I would never wish someone bad in real life, so hopefully those people get their shit together :).
On the other hand, if you are gonna post controversial/unhinged/combative threads all day you can kinda expect a lot of backlash on those, I also like to reply on them myself.
Not everyone thinks alike and that is probably one of the big reasons the Current Events thread got canned and why every time a thread/post like that gets posted it ends up in a shitshorm.
exactly my thoughts.

Is there a part of me that enjoys watching it go down? A little bit ya… but I do hope they get better in the end so no faves.
Apr 19, 2023 10:51 AM

Dec 2019
This was made because of Crow_Black's thread spree yesterday wasn't it lol. Hope he finds a way out of that hole.

I've seen plenty of goofy threads but none that I can recall as completely unhinged at the moment :P
Auron_ said:
>unhinged
>lost the plot

OT:

Holy shit this is gold. I haven't read something this entertaining in a while lol.
Apr 19, 2023 11:08 AM

Feb 2021
Nothing is more funny to me than people still living under woke sjws hysteria in plain 2023. 
Feels like they are stuck in 2016.

Ecchi God Master is a prime example of someone like Crow Black who actually believes wokes are gonna ruin anime and take over everything...
Apr 19, 2023 6:52 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Your threads getting locked and removed last night for abusing me and breaking the rules..
I love it when things work out

Apr 20, 2023 5:51 AM

Aug 2022
ryo-san said:
Your threads getting locked and removed last night for abusing me and breaking the rules..
I love it when things work out
What is your deal dude? I literally did nothing to you and made no thread about you and yet you've been on my ass like a bad hemorrhoid. This is now bordering on harassment. 
Apr 20, 2023 6:03 AM

Apr 2015
Probably when someone makes a full blown essay about how people disagree with their dumb ships or why x people who like a certain genre are x. Seen a lot actually. 
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 20, 2023 9:53 AM

Mar 2016
there was this dude a year ago that was saying misaka mikoto was better than real women. then he started insulting women.
the comment section of that post was wild and funny.
Apr 20, 2023 11:01 AM

Apr 2015
Forums had quite peculiar users having issues in years 2016 and 2020.

Damn why does these make me nostalgic.

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

679 by Hitagi__Furude »»
30 minutes ago

» What sort of education did you get?

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

47 by beazy12 »»
41 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

48 by perfectlyquiet »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you care about your native culture?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 9

45 by Bruh69XD »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

45 by MasterTasuke »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.