Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 4, 2023 7:59 PM

Feb 2021
For me, it was Chainsaw Man. As someone who generally avoids gore, it really surprised me how much I liked it. Everything just made sense to the world, it was pretty intense, the fights were pretty cool, and I actually was laughing at some moments (idk, for the kinda anime it mostly is, I found it weirdly funny at times). Probably my favorite anime with Gore.

Also the OP is pretty cool.

The Perfect Duo - has one who thinks and one who do's.
To have a party, there's at least two 

When the world is dark, and you feel near to end.
Just remember there's hope, in the form of a friend.

Apr 4, 2023 8:06 PM
Oct 2019
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners. As a fan of the game, I was hoping it'd be good, and it absolutely blew my expectations away, but the thing that really surprised me was seeing so many locations ripped directly from the game. So many places that I saw, and I thought "hey, I've been there before!" And I'm not even referring to major locations like Arasaka Tower or The Afterlife, I'm talking about just random locations from the city, which looked like they were ripped straight from the game's map. It's incredible attention to detail!

There were also a couple of cameos that shocked me, but I wouldn't wanna spoil them for anyone who hasn't watched the show and played the game yet.
ShatteredSansApr 4, 2023 8:16 PM
Apr 4, 2023 8:14 PM

Jan 2021
Two that readily come to mind are Suisei no Gargantia and Human Bug Daigaku from last year. The former was something I picked up on a whim, and I went into it thinking it was gonna be pretty average. I was shocked that it was actually pretty good, albeit with some frustrating moments. The ED is good too. The latter is probably my favorite from Fall 2022. It's not the best visually, hell it may as well be a powerpoint presentation, but I really liked the story and characters, and I feel like the art style and level of animation actually makes it work better. 

Apr 4, 2023 9:59 PM

Feb 2020
Kemono Friends is the first one that came to my mind.

Apr 4, 2023 10:09 PM

Dec 2020
It was Queen's Blade for me. I already knew it would have a lot of plot but I didn't know that it would also have plot. I actually liked the characters in it.

Apr 4, 2023 10:11 PM

Aug 2018
Iruma-kun turned out to be way funnier than I ever thought it'd be. S1 at least. Season 2 wasn't nearly as good and I've yet to watch the 3rd.
Apr 4, 2023 10:17 PM

Dec 2021
Maybe Cross Ange. I watched the first episode sorta as a joke one day (all I knew was that it was this really fan servicey, borderline ecchi mecha anime). But I was actually kinda hooked on it from that point on haha. It wasn't perfect but the story and premise was pretty engaging (albeit messy). I was entertained the whole time. 

I was also very surprised when the second OP was introduced and I realised it was Yoko Takahashi singing (who did the Evangelion OP) - that was a very pleasant surprise!
Apr 4, 2023 10:53 PM

May 2018
White Album 2 (although I read the VN before watching the anime). Everything about it surprised me. It made me even question my sanity because I basically just cried the whole time over what's essentially a soap opera teen drama. 10/10.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 4, 2023 10:58 PM

Feb 2016
As of recent, I'd say Call of the Night. I watched it blindly and was predicting it would a typical ecchi romance type but I wasn't expecting a Monogatari type of direction. 
Apr 4, 2023 10:59 PM

Apr 2015
Easily Link Click - one of the few I've watched going in completely blind (anime-original and I watched the first episode the day it came out), and each episode just got better and better. I rarely cry watching anime (or any show, really) but this show has made me cry on 2-3 separate occasions.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Apr 4, 2023 11:01 PM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
Violet Evergarden, when i read the premise i though ehh post-war plot seems boring but i decided to try it and NOW ITS MY #1 anime <3
what a flawless anime :)

Apr 4, 2023 11:01 PM
Mar 2015
It has to be Sword Art Online.

The sheer amount of sexual assault and rape scenes involving not just men and women, but tentacles as well! Something awoke in me when I saw many users on online chatrooms as I used to do in my AOL days, discussing how they like the scenes!

This was astonishing to me.
Apr 4, 2023 11:09 PM

Feb 2021
soniyay said:
Violet Evergarden, when i read the premise i though ehh post-war plot seems boring but i decided to try it and NOW ITS MY #1 anime <3
what a flawless anime :)
Fr, It also made me appreciate animation. I always thought that animation wasn't really important to me. But Violet Evergarden sure changed my mind, almost magical some scenes.

The Perfect Duo - has one who thinks and one who do's.
To have a party, there's at least two 

When the world is dark, and you feel near to end.
Just remember there's hope, in the form of a friend.

Apr 4, 2023 11:28 PM

Aug 2020
From the recent anime I remember birdie wing golf girl story anime which Aired last year just picked it up becoz of opening song and ended having so much fun which I wasn't expecting.
Apr 4, 2023 11:40 PM
Pirate King

Oct 2022
Nier Automata - after all the hype from fans of the original game i was expecting it to be good, but it end up being another mediocre game adaptation.
Apr 5, 2023 12:50 AM

Oct 2020
Honestly, I went into SSSS.Gridman thinking it'd be some boring power-rangers-esque gundam thing. In fact, I only tried it because it was animated by trigger 
But I was genuinely surprised by how dark it got. Even the plot fleshed out into something actually gripping and I'd recommend it even if you're not into gundam/tokusatsu 
Apr 5, 2023 1:13 AM
Oct 2019
Link click, bunny girl senpai, fate zero
Apr 5, 2023 1:32 AM

Nov 2022
It is not easy to surprise me, so I am not sure.

Code Geass, Kaiji and Black Lagoon are the strongest candidates so far.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Apr 5, 2023 1:50 AM

Jan 2022
Nichijou

Expectation: Another Weak and Boring CGDCT Slice of Life 

Experience: HOLY SHIT THAT ANIMATION 🔥

Apr 5, 2023 2:00 AM

Sep 2021
Ping Pong the Animation. I knew it had the weird art style, but I thought that was all there was to it. I didn't expect an engrossing story packed with interesting characters.
Apr 5, 2023 6:20 AM

Dec 2013
Kotarou wa Hitorigurashi

It's not an anime I would have picked up. It was recommended to me. I extremely rarely try recommendations. This show's character design also wasn't my type. I was prejudiced towards the comedy aspect of the show. Since I'm very harsh with comedy anime. This show however genuinely surprised me, more so than any other.
Apr 5, 2023 9:17 AM
Jan 2022
Devilman Crybaby, Golden Kamuy, and Mob Psycho 100. I always expected animes to have a plot armor, but Devilman Crybaby gave me such a surprise, and the way it was so gory and uncensored was crazy (I love it though). When I started Golden Kamuy, I thought it was just a comedy anime set in the past, but it's so much more than that. The plot is amazing, the characters are just so goddamn awesome, even the "villains" because of how all of the characters are handled. Golden Kamuy may actually be in my top 3 ngl. And Mob Psycho was something else, when I started it, I thought it was just gonna be another One Punch Man where there would be no real plot until the end where the mc has a big fight, but it was so much more than just that. I loved everything about it and the character development is top notch as well.
Apr 5, 2023 9:22 AM

Nov 2021
OH ! yes:
almost every shocking tragedy

Aldonah zero ending : no need to explane (all i watch was for nothing(but mc's mechanical eye was cool))
code geass, madoka magica , Re:zero (and season2 ending where emilia is telling something like cabbages)
fate/zero: how much i can sympathy with kiritsugo(not sure about the dictation)
TORADORA:IT WAS BOARING AT FIRST BUT IT turn out to be one of the best animes i've ever seen.(and mushoku tensei by same reason)
and VIOLATE EVERGARDEN ESSPECIALLY THE MOVIE:IT WAS OVERRATED.
BUT:
by now hunter x hunter :every fight or thing has a reason and always catch you off guard (you can't sometimes guess)
(and jojo part two being that cool)
maYBE THE TENTH EDIT:and chainsaw man op(haven't watched the anime ,i'm just reading the manga):UNLIMITED BUDGET WORKS(blade works)
ErnestMacelApr 5, 2023 9:32 AM

third picture :re:zero reddit ( [Media] Emilia & Subaru in kimono by@51senre)
Apr 5, 2023 10:14 AM

Sep 2010
Madoka Magica but not because it took a different direction from it's cover, I already knew that before, but because of how every new episode gets better and better than the prior one.

Also the NGNL movie, coming from NGNL I thought it's just gonna be another lighthearted comedy but it surely wasn't.
Apr 5, 2023 1:54 PM

Mar 2020
Interestingly, Darling in the Franxx. I know this one is popular to rag on, but hear me out. While I agree that the ending was, well...yeah, the rest of it really got to me in how it used piloting these mechas as a metaphor for coming and age and growing into your sexuality (I feel as if not enough stories focus on teenagers' developing sexuality) and I also really liked its messaging about how we need other people and human connection, as well as its themes of religion. I also liked how our leads started off in an unhealthy and unbalanced relationship that they later learned to navigate and became healthy equals in, and I actually connected with Zero Two's struggle with being disconnected from humanity, so I really enjoyed seeing her friendships with everyone besides Hiro grow---especially her friendships with other girls.

Of course, someone will read this and tell me "just watch Evangelion" which I promise you, I'm trying.
In the end, all girls are like the rose bride
Apr 5, 2023 1:58 PM

Jun 2017
Please Teacher. Given the plot, i was expecting it to be a very fanservice/fetish type show. The material around it also really played it up.

But the show itself was a pretty compelling romance. A nice, heartwarming story.  Very mature and covered some things most anime wouldn't touch. (Plus, the best part, they're in a relationship through the whole series. Not just a confession at the end)

With no fanservice at all. At least till the ova's.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Apr 5, 2023 2:06 PM
Dec 2021
Nazo no Kanojo X

That cute little face, that damn hot body and the continuos fluid exchange had me glued to the screen.

Apr 5, 2023 2:07 PM

Jul 2015
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

Not sure if the most surprising one, but it was definitely a big surprise because I did not expect to enjoy this anime that much.
Apr 5, 2023 3:44 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Akiba maid wars... I thought it'd be a light hearted maid Cafe anime but then a bunch of badasses like Ranko and nagi showed up and I was like oh momma Ranko and mommy nagi, step on me please

Apr 5, 2023 5:35 PM

Mar 2021
jieanteater said:

What anime surprised you the most?

I wouldn't go as far as to say any Anime has ever really surprised me because most of the time simply reading up on the synopsis gives someone a general idea about what to expect. But there are a few examples of contemporary Anime titles that have thrown me totally off guard.

"Deca-Dence" is a perfect example:

"The Executioner and Her Way of Life" took me off guard when...

I could say a title like "Space Battleship Tiramisu" took me by surprise only because I wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it was. Each episode is only 7 mins long but each one practically made me laugh my ass off. One particular scene came up in episode 7 and I started laughing when I was in the middle of drinking coffee and almost choked to death it was so funny. That was the 1st time I ever had coffee come out of my nose. Not a pleasant thing to experience but still continued enjoying the Anime.
ColourWheelApr 6, 2023 1:46 AM
Apr 5, 2023 5:51 PM
Sep 2021
Made in Abyss, didnt like the artstyle from pictures i saw and thought it would be childish....It is a masterpiece and for sure 1 of my top 5 anime of all time. the world building, story telling and the EMOTIONS bro i have cried like 4 times from season 1 the "3" movie and season 2. could not recommend it more
Apr 5, 2023 5:59 PM
Mar 2021
Human Bug Daigaku was my biggest surprise in the last year. Animation just like powerpoint with awful design, but the story, character, execution prove everything good. I love it so far.

Now, I have Jijou wo Shiranai Tenkousei ga Guigui Kuru  this season.
Apr 5, 2023 6:13 PM

Jul 2015
Vinland saga season 2, It may surpass season 1 if it keeps up this quality.
Apr 5, 2023 7:55 PM

Feb 2021
Recently it's Benriya Saitou-san. I went in thinking "oh it's another generic unfunny unoriginal isekai anime" and it turned out I enjoyed more than I thought I would. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 7, 2023 3:30 AM
Apr 2023
Chainsaw man, the fights, animation, voice acting and uncensorship was good and especially denjis motivation lol
Apr 7, 2023 3:44 AM

Feb 2022
JJK - Staring out I didn't think I really wanted to go into anime with a lot of gore. After a while I gave it a chance and now it's my favorite anime with some of my most favorite characters. 

Apr 7, 2023 3:56 AM

Jul 2022
I'd say aot. I watched it after been watching anime for a while (we can say i was already into anime a lot) and from what i heard of it i thought it was going to be another boring anime that everyone watch just because it's famous. Then i watched all the seasons and read the chapter of the manga that weren't already adapted and it turned out to be a good story, every single episode was intersting and i never got bored (even if before i started it i had a biig spoiler from the manga).
It surprised me also because from the first episode it really didnt look like an anime i could enjoy, but in the end i really liked it.
Apr 7, 2023 9:29 AM
Nov 2016
Fruits basket for sure, completely blew me away with the final season
Apr 8, 2023 9:15 AM

Aug 2018
recently watched DIY and it certainly surprised me from how good it was.
was expecting another boring cute girls doing cute things anime that i will always be watching anyway because that just what i do, but instead it was one of the best slice of life anime have ever watched
still having great time with my stuff
Apr 9, 2023 5:20 AM
Jul 2018
Vinland, Re;zero, Sao Alicization s1.
Apr 9, 2023 7:37 AM

Jun 2008
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood because of how much I disliked the original series yet I found Brotherhood to be a masterpiece. 
Apr 9, 2023 7:45 AM

Jun 2021
Sword Art Online. A female lead that was written superbly well just like a bible character. Layerd, Faithful and badass. Asuna is a beast and a cutie. Totes bwst girl.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 27 minutes ago

12 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
49 seconds ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 7 hours ago

18 by Catalano »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 11 minutes ago

1 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

65 by -YaoiBoy- »»
5 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

57 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.