Forum Settings
Forums

How do so many low quality seasonal shows become more popular than some all-time classics?

New
Mar 19, 2023 1:52 AM
Dec 2022
There is maybe 1-3 good shows a season, and yet often 5-10 of these shows end up picking up mass popularity. Which is insane, considering how many truly high quality shows from the past 2 decades often went underpopularized.

It honestly isnt too surprising that anime quality in general has been on the decline when you look at what the audience is choosing. When generic garbage like Call of the Night, Shikimori, Tokyo Revengers, Nagatoro, Fire force, Wotakoi, and practically every isekai become more popular than classic shows like Ao Haru Ride, I want to eat your pancreas, nichijou, mushishi, higurashi, NHK, Monster, Chihayafuru, Nana, and many others ever were

This new-wave anime fan trend of just watching every seasonal show has to end at some point. The average seasonal show quality is far too low for you to be wasting your time on these shows when many of you havent even seen the dozens on dozens of high quality classics that are often overlooked.
RejectedApplesMar 19, 2023 2:26 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 19, 2023 1:58 AM

Nov 2019
Okay, what did Apple and Steve (Hand)Jobs did to you? Tell me, I won't bite.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Mar 19, 2023 2:00 AM

Jun 2016
>OP is surprised current shit is more talked about than not so current shit thread #4236
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 19, 2023 2:04 AM

Sep 2010
Because people rather watch new trash than old classics and you won't get that out of their brains. Your selection of classic shows is questionable btw.
Mar 19, 2023 2:06 AM
Dec 2022
ateks said:
Because people rather watch new trash than old classics and you won't get that out of their brains. Your selection of classic shows is questionable btw.
most classics are pretty popular, but like the ones listed, there are also very very high quality shows that have been seen by very few. i dont think anyone could argue a single show in the first list even rivals any of the shows in the second. and thats kinda sad considering those shows in the first list are some of the most popular (Non sequel) shows of the past 5 years.
Mar 19, 2023 2:11 AM

Mar 2020
Homer from ancient Greece is also wondering why we are not talking about Iliad, but are talking about some newly released hot garbage like Ao Haru Ride, I want to eat your pancreas, Nichijou, Mushishi, Higurashi, NHK, Monster
Mar 19, 2023 2:12 AM
Dec 2022
Tendo_GM said:
Homer from ancient Greece is also wondering why we are not talking about Iliad, but are talking about some newly released hot garbage like Ao Haru Ride, I want to eat your pancreas, Nichijou, Mushishi, Higurashi, NHK, Monster
did... you just say one of the most popular poems of all time isnt talked about lol
Mar 19, 2023 2:14 AM

Mar 2020
RejectedApples said:
Tendo_GM said:
did... you just say one of the most popular poems of all time isnt talked about lol

Man… that joke was flying so low AND STILL flew over your head…
Mar 19, 2023 2:15 AM

Sep 2010
RejectedApples said:
ateks said:
most classics are pretty popular, but like the ones listed, there are also very very high quality shows that have been seen by very few. i dont think anyone could argue a single show in the first list even rivals any of the shows in the second. and thats kinda sad considering those shows in the first list are some of the most popular (Non sequel) shows of the past 5 years.

What do you mean seen by few? All of those are or were very popular. And yes I would totally argue there are some in the first list that are better than some in the second list and I'm certainly not watching a lot a new anime.
Mar 19, 2023 2:19 AM
Dec 2022
ateks said:
RejectedApples said:

What do you mean seen by few? All of those are or were very popular. And yes I would totally argue there are some in the first list that are better than some in the second list and I'm certainly not watching a lot a new anime.
a movie like i want to eat your pancreas, or a show like higurashi, may be very highly praised on an anime forum like this one... but they were certainly never popular. 

but then again if you unironically think a show in the top list rivals anything in the bottom then you are just delusional in general. its fine to think those top shows are good, but be for real lol
Mar 19, 2023 2:20 AM
Dec 2022
Tendo_GM said:
RejectedApples said:

you might need to brush up on your philosophy lil man
Mar 19, 2023 2:33 AM
Oct 2021
People on this site have no taste. They just cling onto whatever is popular without actually analysing whether it’s even a quality piece of media.
Mar 19, 2023 2:36 AM

Sep 2010
RejectedApples said:
a movie like i want to eat your pancreas, or a show like higurashi, may be very highly praised on an anime forum like this one... but they were certainly never popular.

Yes they were, you are just too new to remember.

RejectedApples said:
but then again if you unironically think a show in the top list rivals anything in the bottom then you are just delusional in general. its fine to think those top shows are good, but be for real lol

Half of the anime in the bottom list are trash, I'd rather argue they were overhyped and not underappreciated.
Mar 19, 2023 2:41 AM

Jul 2009
Anime sites have bad ranking systems and anime is also more popular than ever.

I don't think anime will peak until normies are talking about it like it's game of thrones.
๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ
๐ŸŒณใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐ŸŒณ
๐ŸŒณใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐Ÿใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐Ÿฆใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐ŸŒฒใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐ŸŒณใ€€
๐ŸŒณใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€Cursorใ€€Natureใ€€reserveใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐ŸŒณ
๐ŸŒณใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐Ÿฆ‹ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐Ÿฆฉใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐Ÿ•ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐ŸŒณ
๐ŸŒณใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐ŸŒณ
๐ŸŒณใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐Ÿใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐ŸŒฒใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐Ÿงใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐ŸŒณ
๐ŸŒณใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€ใ€€๐ŸŒณ
๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ
Mar 19, 2023 2:42 AM

Jul 2021
ateks said:

Ikr, there’s like only one classic on that list I liked.
Mar 19, 2023 2:46 AM

May 2018
> I want to eat your pancreas.
> Ao Haru Ride.
> classics.
Understandable, have a nice day.

Mar 19, 2023 3:18 AM

Oct 2021
Those classics are surprisingly new for someone who complained "kids nowadays" lol.
Mar 19, 2023 3:21 AM

Mar 2023
Most of those new shows are gonna be forgotten in a few years just like Yuri on ice.
Mar 19, 2023 3:28 AM

Feb 2021
Sadly because of the tastes and generation. I also don't understand why classic old series are undeservedly forgotten.
Mar 19, 2023 3:32 AM

Jul 2021
EdgyLord666 said:
Those classics are surprisingly new for someone who complained "kids nowadays" lol.

You ain't no true anime fan, unless your favorite anime is Katsudo Shashin
Mar 19, 2023 3:39 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
This is probably the most intelligent question I have ever seen and I am gonna look at what everyone is saying before I answer

Mar 19, 2023 3:39 AM

Mar 2021
Stupid people think stuff like cowboy Bebop is peak literature when it flopped even in Japan and was like one of the only few stuff broadcast. People complaining about ecchi pretend like people weren't watching Gurren Lagann for Yoko's tits. Neither of which are relevant now.

Mobile suit Gundam kind of faded and relies on people having plamo addictions
Mar 19, 2023 3:40 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Memore said:
Sadly because of the tastes and generation. I also don't understand why classic old series are undeservedly forgotten.

Ah man, I was looking forward to seeing your opinions but you just said that you don't have a clear idea which is Same as me.

Mar 19, 2023 3:44 AM
Dec 2021
It's based on the currend trends and interests. Seems that people prefer hot garbage than certified classics.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Mar 19, 2023 3:50 AM

Oct 2013
Recency bias, certain audience and its taste... there are many factors, but mostly it's because currently popular stuff will be more discussed than older shows. The latter might have the priviledge of being seen as classics, but there might be limits of how long a lot of people may discuss about them.

To understand it better, ask somebody way, way older than you about their taste in movies and music. I can guarantee that you will hear about movies and music you might not have heard about, or at least weren't familiar with despite knowing about their existence. Different times, different trends, different stuff seen as something that seeing or listening to is considered as a must.

Theo1899 said:
>OP is surprised current shit is more talked about than not so current shit thread #4236

For real. It's hard to not notice how frequently that kind of threads appear, lol. Probably another one will appear the next week as well.
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
Mar 19, 2023 3:54 AM

Jul 2021
Really tried to sneak in Ao Haru Ride like we wouldn't notice ,and it's not like those so called classic shows weren't popular when they aired.
Mar 19, 2023 3:57 AM

Mar 2020
RejectedApples said:
Tendo_GM said:

you might need to brush up on your philosophy lil man

Sure? I’m not sure what philosophy has to do with sarcasm but ok…
Mar 19, 2023 4:00 AM

Feb 2014
I can answer this about two shows you named:
Welcome to the NHK, It's not very good if you cannot relate to the main characters, is it?
Nana, Didn't have a legal streaming option until Hidive picked it up
That's the problem with eternal damnation, you get used to it after a while
Mar 19, 2023 4:01 AM
Dec 2021
Cestlavie_ said:
Really tried to sneak in Ao Haru Ride like we wouldn't notice ,and it's not like those so called classic shows weren't popular when they aired.
If we talk about romance Ao Haru Ride is a classic and one of the best out there.
It's ALWAYS one of the first anime recommended in romance threads.
Way better than any romantic subtext bullshit for the mentally challenged.
Mar 19, 2023 4:03 AM

Feb 2021
ryo-san said:
Memore said:

Ah man, I was looking forward to seeing your opinions but you just said that you don't have a clear idea which is Same as me.

Sorry, I really think so. Unfortunately most people enjoy stupid romcoms and isekais with insecure and childish main heroes. I prefer cool, sharp and charismatic heroes like Gintoki, Joseph and other boys from old series.
Mar 19, 2023 4:13 AM

Oct 2018
I see more people talking about Monster than any of those shows you mentioned, especially because it recently entered the Netflix catalog, at least in my country. I can only remember people complaining about Shikimori, being known as medical waste must be great.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Mar 19, 2023 4:16 AM

Jul 2021
perfectionFound said:
Cestlavie_ said:
If we talk about romance Ao Haru Ride is a classic and one of the best out there.

Meh blue spring ride didn't really do much or have anything unique to its premise.
Fruit basket, Ouran, Love is war, Your Name etc are what I'll call classic romance anime
Mar 19, 2023 4:23 AM
Dec 2021
Cestlavie_ said:
perfectionFound said:

Meh blue spring ride didn't really do much or have anything unique to its premise.
Fruit basket, Ouran, Love is war, Your Name etc are what I'll call classic romance anime
Meh.
Dropped Ouran because didn't like the old art and the couple of gay incestuous brothers doing their thing every 2 scenes was too much for me. 
Didn't like fruits basket that much, not even top 50 out of all the romances I have watched.
Not a fan of love is war. Not gonna go through 90 episodes of romantic subtext and jokes that will never make laugh to finally see a kiss. Not worth my time.

But that's just a matter of personal taste, not gonna go around saying they are bad.
AnimeIs4KidzMar 19, 2023 4:26 AM
Mar 19, 2023 4:27 AM

Jul 2021
perfectionFound said:
Cestlavie_ said:

Meh.
Dropped Ouran because didn't like the old art and the couple of gay incestuous brothers doing their thing every 2 scenes was too much for me. 
Didn't like fruits basket that much, not even top 50 out of all the romances I have watched.
Not a fan of love is war. Not gonna go through 90 episodes of romantic subtext and jokes that will never make laugh to finally see a kiss. Not worth my time.

But that's just a matter of personal taste, not gonna go around saying they are bad.

I get the Ouran and Love is war complaint but you really enjoyed Ao Haru Ride more than Fruit Basket?
Mar 19, 2023 4:49 AM
ไฝœ็”ป

Nov 2019
clearly, you don't know the meaning of "classics"
Mar 19, 2023 5:55 AM

May 2019
I think it has to do with newness and recency bias given that the anime fandom nowadays it much bigger it ever historically was.
Mar 19, 2023 8:20 AM

Feb 2016
RejectedApples said:
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas is more popular than any anime movie released last year.

perfectionFound said:
Cestlavie_ said:
I never heard anybody talk about it, not even when it was brand new. I'd sooner call Tonikaku Kawaii a classic.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Mar 19, 2023 8:30 AM
Oct 2020
cringe. I've watched hundreds of anime and wouldn't consider anything op mentioned a classic. 
Most of the true classics are not that good anyway, just nostalgia and people cowardly hyping them up because they are afraid of going against the norm. 
Mar 19, 2023 8:56 AM

May 2020
A lot of the "classics" you mentioned are pretty popular too. Also, all this sounds a bit too weird when I see a rating of 9 for MHA S6 from you, "low quality seasonal shows".

Maybe try sleeping?

Mar 19, 2023 8:59 AM
Oct 2020
My hero academia is trash and OP rated it a 9? I would like some of what they are smoking.
Mar 19, 2023 9:55 AM

Jan 2021
Because people like to talk more about new stuff than about old stuff, it's pretty simple.

Althought some of your selections of classics are questionable, some of those aren't even 10 years old.
Mar 19, 2023 10:11 AM

Feb 2022
This thread is so funny knowing that you gave MHA of all shows a 9. 
Mar 19, 2023 10:21 AM

May 2018
"Call of the Night, Shikimori, Tokyo Revengers, Nagatoro, Fire force, Wotakoi"

But there even better shows!
For example Always Breaktime (AI-GENERATED ANIME LIVE 24/7) - https://www.twitch.tv/alwaysbreaktime which is not only newer, but AI generated, thus fresher, trendier and more advanced product!
Mar 19, 2023 10:22 AM

Jan 2021
Well people like what they like OP, for example I really like the Adult Swim era of anime. I didn't even watch anime back then, but for some reason a lot of the shows I like come from that period. 
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 19, 2023 10:23 AM

May 2018
Probably because they're easier to get into. Also, maybe people want to be a part of the recent community, where you can watch and talk about seasonals in hot topics. Somehow I'd like them to stop as well, I think the industry needs to realize how much garbage is being produced, but if people keep supporting this the shitstorm won't really end anytime soon.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Mar 19, 2023 10:51 AM
Dec 2022
What people consider "good" is very subjective.
People have different tastes in shows. What you might consider good, others consider trash.
Mar 19, 2023 11:18 AM
Dec 2022
ateks said:
RejectedApples said:

Yes they were, you are just too new to remember.

RejectedApples said:

Half of the anime in the bottom list are trash, I'd rather argue they were overhyped and not underappreciated.
your taste in anime seems to be involved with loli characters so it doesnt really surprise me, im sure u liked higurashi tho
Mar 19, 2023 11:22 AM
Dec 2022
Lucifrost said:
RejectedApples said:
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas is more popular than any anime movie released last year.

perfectionFound said:
I never heard anybody talk about it, not even when it was brand new. I'd sooner call Tonikaku Kawaii a classic.
using 2022 as a baseline isnt quite far, since most 2022 films havent actually hit international theaters but.

id say JJK 0 and Film Red were far bigger than that movie. Bubble was also extremely hyped up
Mar 19, 2023 11:26 AM
Dec 2022
camay1997 said:
I can answer this about two shows you named:
Welcome to the NHK, It's not very good if you cannot relate to the main characters, is it?
Nana, Didn't have a legal streaming option until Hidive picked it up
The specific shows in each list isnt the main point here lol

fine, i can replace nana and nhk with Kaiji, Maquia, or SEL
Mar 19, 2023 11:27 AM

Jun 2022
Alright, in all seriousness I am not a fan of a lot of modern anime because of how "sterile" they feel. That said, seasonals are not outright horrible, it is just what is popular in Japan. You choose poor examples for good for many of what you said to be good is on par in art, animation and writing to your "bad". Now, I believe you should consider diversifying your taste and get back to me later. I await your response.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 8 hours ago

27 by shiro-seishun »»
1 minute ago

» Skibidi toilet piece part 2 (the sequel)

Cyborgium - 3 hours ago

4 by Daviljoe193 »»
5 minutes ago

» โ„๏ธ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

222 by Shizuna »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

61 by maya2003s »»
12 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

57 by shiro-seishun »»
14 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.