Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 14, 2023 9:08 AM

Sep 2021
I used to care about scores when chosing finished anime. But with the seasonal anime, I got so many shows on 8+ that have an average of below 7 and many of the finished shows I chose based on their high rating only were a 6 or lower for me. So the average score doesn't really matter to me anymore. But I do read the reviews if it's below 6, to be aware of what disappointed so many people. 
Mar 14, 2023 10:27 AM

Nov 2014
I used to watch pretty much anything, but now I'm more selective since I don't have that much free time.
Mar 14, 2023 10:33 AM

Nov 2017
I don't trust strangers to know my anime preferences, and I like experimental shorts.
The MAL scores are practically useless at that point.
Mar 14, 2023 11:32 AM

Apr 2015
LostSpectre said:
Tropisch said:
Wow, look at you only watching shows that other people gave high scores too, very cool. 
Thanks. I hope you feel fucking special now. 
Thanks, I hope you do too. Need an award?
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 14, 2023 12:03 PM

Aug 2021
The scores everyone else gives and reviews everyone else writes come from opinions that are not mine, so watching and thinking about the show myself is obviously the only way I'll really know what score I'll give. That said, scores and reviews can give meaningful info if time is taken to actually interpret them.
Mar 14, 2023 12:10 PM
Mar 2017
genenrally speaking, i do use the MAL as an indication for quality and/or entertainment value of Anime that i plan to watch, so i usually go for above 7 ones, but i probably won't shy away from scores 6 to 7 if it looks fun enough to watch. less than 6 however- VERY small chance ill watch.
Mar 14, 2023 12:12 PM

Apr 2022
I never judge a anime before seeing it to be sure my own score is accurate to my subjective taste even if the community thinks i dislike popular stuff or like things most people thinks sucks. I own my tastes proudly no matter how good or bad they are in others opinion.

Tifa Lockhart (FFVII) - Forum Signature by craftyaegis on DeviantArt

Mar 14, 2023 12:15 PM

Jan 2021
Yes. Why not. It is only after watching an anime I will decide whether it deserves the rating or not.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Mar 14, 2023 1:06 PM

Sep 2022
I don’t think there is any anime on my list rated below 7 but I wouldn’t mind watching one. I usually don’t look at scores anyway.
Mar 14, 2023 1:32 PM

Jul 2014
Basing what you watch on MAL ratings is one of the dumbest way to consume anime
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Mar 14, 2023 1:48 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I prefer my anime to be of the unranked.
Mar 14, 2023 1:53 PM

Aug 2021
Admittedly, I do tend to look at the scores and then check it out for myself if it's bad or not. Most of the time, I feel like people have just finished watching it, and with the emotion still fresh and new, rate it and then don't go back and change it overtime. For example, I just recently went back and changed a few of my scores (which I'm not done yet doing, actually) because times change, and with that, new ideas and feelings about things emerge. 
Mar 14, 2023 2:08 PM

Oct 2018
If you don't watch animes with low scores you will miss on many good animes which are lower rated because they are more controversial (or have more fanservice) or if they're short-episode anime.  Short-episode anime have always lower scores even if they are really enjoyable. The longer I was on this site the more I was confident that scores don't matter that much in process of choosing anime to watch. At the beginning of using this I probably also thought that there are not many good anime below 7/10 but it changed. People should watch School days (if they're mentally healthy at least I guess) And One room after all:). If anime is low rated but there are positive reviews (or synopsis is intriguing etc.) this might mean that anime might be interesting. What is important is your opinion and enjoyment. (or whatever you watch anime for)
Mar 14, 2023 2:13 PM

Oct 2018
I still need to find good anime rated below 5.00 though any recommendations? 
Mar 14, 2023 2:21 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Personally I don't watch a show that has a score below a 5 unless I end up dropping a show I don't like. A show that has a score of 6 is not considered bad, its just slightly above average. 
Mar 14, 2023 2:23 PM

Oct 2013
I don't really care about MAL scores but there's a good chance I'll skip anything under 6.

If something is somehow rated 5.x on MAL it's probably a red flag
Mar 14, 2023 2:33 PM

Nov 2019
I just find things I'm interested in to watch. Some trash, some treasures. That is just the nature of the beast though.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Mar 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Feb 2021
Lionalanda said:
Don't think the average person on this website shares the same likes and dislikes as me, so no.

Great picture, I like it!

I watch ANY anime, it doesn't matter what score it has. I watch what I like and that is it.
Mar 14, 2023 3:00 PM
Oct 2019
If a show looks interesting to me, I will give it a try regardless of rating.
Mar 14, 2023 4:20 PM
Oct 2019
Personally I don't watch shows below a 6.... especially if the show the show has been out for a while. That and reviews tells me all I need to know. 
Mar 14, 2023 4:37 PM

May 2019
Ok, so I'm in the minority here. Back when I watched seasonals as they came out, yes I did watch anime that from then on went to get rated below 7. And most of it was pretty shit.
But now, I don't really have that much time on my hands to watch anime in the first place, so for most of the shows I watch, I see if they have a score of 7.5 or higher. Very rarely do I pick up those that are even between 7 and 7.5, since they're usually a hit or miss. Shows below a 7 are a miss for me for about 90% of the time. Below 6, we enter the guaranteed dogshit territory. Not like I've watched much, but I don't think that there is a single show below 6 that I've liked ever.
Anime >7.5 is sort of a quality check before I start a show, and it works for the most part as I usually tend to enjoy it.
Amoh25Mar 14, 2023 4:41 PM
Gintoki and Sugita's birthdays are 1 day apart.
Mar 14, 2023 4:50 PM

Mar 2021
I don't care about a show's rating tbh. Sometimes a very low rating will draw me to something even more.

Mar 14, 2023 5:04 PM

Jul 2021
dadnaya said:
I don't really care about MAL scores but there's a good chance I'll skip anything under 6.

If something is somehow rated 5.x on MAL it's probably a red flag

I also consider something being above 8 a red flag.
Mar 14, 2023 5:06 PM

Oct 2022
I never bothered to check. I stream and have scored some below. But I don't trust MAL ratings and believe a lot of users are lying about what they actually completed so they can put in low scores. Not unusual practice, happens all over the internet.
Mar 14, 2023 5:08 PM

Dec 2022
Memore said:
Lionalanda said:
Don't think the average person on this website shares the same likes and dislikes as me, so no.

I watch ANY anime, it doesn't matter what score it has. I watch what I like and that is it.
Thank you :)

And I agree. If it is below 6, I wonder why, but won't hate it before trying
This is your reminder to drink water 💦 or eat some fruit  🍒 🥝
Mar 14, 2023 5:53 PM

Jul 2013
I watched plenty of anime regardless of their "respective" ratings they get from either this site or ANN, the older version of MAL.

I like Sorcerer Hunters well enough to read its manga counterpart and not some crap teenage normies read.
Mar 14, 2023 8:50 PM

Mar 2013
It depends. I have a pretty forgiving standard of humour and slice of life, and some of my favorites comedy anime likely rank below a 7. Serious works I would also watch, but only for a laugh. I think comedic tastes vary so much more than tastes for drama.
Mar 14, 2023 10:57 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
7 of my top 12 have MAL scores below 7 so I place no value on them.
Mar 14, 2023 11:45 PM

Feb 2023
Gator said:
So most anime I really liked which had a MAL score below 7 were ecchi shows. Somehow "Redo of Healer" is erotica and not ecchi, not sure what the difference is, borderline hentai?
Most of the other shows also have quite a bit of fanservice, so it seems that this might be the reason why they are also rated rather low. Which means for me personally, it feels like I should ignore MAL score for fanservice- and ecchi-anime. But for "serious" anime, MAL score might actually be useful for me.

Do you have noticed something like that as well? Does the MAL score help you sometimes to decide if you should watch a show or not?
Do you also feel like ecchi shows get too much hate on MAL or am I just an ecchi simp? (I actually might know the answer to that question already)

All things aside, that's a pretty good question to ask.

It's going to sound like a nothing answer as well as "yes and no" but it depends on quite a bit I feel.

Such as:
----------

1. My desire to watch anime I found intriguing in the past and never had the chance to watch them at time (money, time, etc.)

2. If the art is something I'am interested in (then it goes into animation/story from there. VO's can be a problem, but I feel like I'am not too picky in that regard)

3. What mood I'am in

ummm...I had more to say but it's escaping me right now, I'll provide an update whenever I can remember just in case you or anyone cares to know.

And I really can't comment on the ecchi aspect, as I haven't really went out of my way to watch any and haven't been engaged in the recent past by what I've seen. The only times is when that genre is shared with other genre's from shows like like Shin Cutey Honey, Desert Punk, High School of the Dead and maybe RIN: Daughters of Mayonnaise (RIN probably isn't even remotely close to ecchi but just wanted to throw it in to make an easy joke).
Mar 14, 2023 11:47 PM

Jul 2013
To the 44 people that take MAL scores seriously apparently since you wont watch less than 7.5, I just wanted to let you know that that's cool man, fuck the haters.
Mar 14, 2023 11:50 PM

Jan 2023
Well If it seems interesting and I'm curious about the anime then rating don't matter to me
but it does matter a lot when im trying to pick some good anime to watch
for slice of life , romcom etc i can watch if its below 7 
and for action, thriller i wont pick anime below 7 NEVER!!! ( exception if it for some reason peaks my interest )

Mar 15, 2023 1:18 AM

Feb 2021
Lionalanda said:
Memore said:

Thank you :)

And I agree. If it is below 6, I wonder why, but won't hate it before trying

You are welcome!

Yes, I am the same, agree.
Mar 15, 2023 1:58 AM

Mar 2023
The "score" or "rating" of an anime has never really swayed my likelyness to watch it or not.  I tend to judge that with my own eyes. I always watch at least 2-4 episodes of an anime before i judge it myself.

However.  The older i get, the pickier i am with anime. So its been difficult for me to FIND an anime i truly want to watch these days. For example: Romance is something ive been getting into lately.  Yet there are a LOT of stereotypical school based romances, or young teenage romances that dont really peek my interest anymore. Now that im older i prefer more adult type scenario romances. This appears to be a VERY unpopular genre though as i cant seem to find that many.
 Also with the main character. I immediately lose interest if they  appear to be weak willed, or have weak characteristics and 0 sense towards women.

In my youth i was never bothered by these things...Getting old sucks :O
They May take our lives! but they may never take........OUR FREEDOM!
Mar 15, 2023 2:20 AM

Feb 2016
If something looks interesting, I will give it a look and/or a try regardless of the score. Simple as that
Mar 15, 2023 6:14 AM

Jul 2021
there are a lot of good series that don't get much recognition and have low score here on MAL. I have found a lot of good series rated below 7.0 and have enjoyed them fairly well
Mar 15, 2023 7:26 AM

Oct 2019
Well, I do care about MAL scores for first impressions. Unless curiosity got the better of me and made me watch Boku no Pico like my dumbass made me do when I decided to watch Pewdiepie's reaction to it. 

When you watch so many anime out there, even anime with an overall score of 8 or above can make you feel disappointed while the opposite scoring 6 or below may be enjoyable. Who knows? I don't really like Code Geass R2 despite the 1st season, the only reason I felt it got a 2 was because of that ending, that's it. Anything else made me bored to death or want to commit seppuku. Even shitshows like Domestic Girlfriend or Rent-a-Girlfriend got an 8 for me because it was enjoyable for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2023 8:48 AM

Apr 2013
PotatoSpoon said:
Gator said:
So most anime I really liked which had a MAL score below 7 were ecchi shows. Somehow "Redo of Healer" is erotica and not ecchi, not sure what the difference is, borderline hentai?
Most of the other shows also have quite a bit of fanservice, so it seems that this might be the reason why they are also rated rather low. Which means for me personally, it feels like I should ignore MAL score for fanservice- and ecchi-anime. But for "serious" anime, MAL score might actually be useful for me.

Do you have noticed something like that as well? Does the MAL score help you sometimes to decide if you should watch a show or not?
Do you also feel like ecchi shows get too much hate on MAL or am I just an ecchi simp? (I actually might know the answer to that question already)

All things aside, that's a pretty good question to ask.

It's going to sound like a nothing answer as well as "yes and no" but it depends on quite a bit I feel.

Such as:
----------

1. My desire to watch anime I found intriguing in the past and never had the chance to watch them at time (money, time, etc.)

2. If the art is something I'am interested in (then it goes into animation/story from there. VO's can be a problem, but I feel like I'am not too picky in that regard)

3. What mood I'am in

ummm...I had more to say but it's escaping me right now, I'll provide an update whenever I can remember just in case you or anyone cares to know.

And I really can't comment on the ecchi aspect, as I haven't really went out of my way to watch any and haven't been engaged in the recent past by what I've seen. The only times is when that genre is shared with other genre's from shows like like Shin Cutey Honey, Desert Punk, High School of the Dead and maybe RIN: Daughters of Mayonnaise (RIN probably isn't even remotely close to ecchi but just wanted to throw it in to make an easy joke).

Haha thanks, I already assumed most people would just answer the title and not the questions at the end of the opening post xD

1. That never actually happened to me. I don't have other expensive hobbies and I can always find time for at least one episode or two a day.
2. Art/Animation can definitely make me interested in a show, but most of the time it's the characters for me. If they look interesting and I see some cool GIFs or something with the, I'm usually hooked.
3. My mood just lets me decide which anime to watch first, but that doesn't really change what I put on my PTW list.

I only know Sunabouzu and Highschool of the Dead from your ecchi list, but those are rather popular ones. HotD is actually an ecchi show I rated lower than the general public, which doesn't happen that often for popular ones.
Mar 15, 2023 9:08 AM
Dec 2021
Only in case of romance i'll give a shot to under 7 scores, other genres are guaranteed to be trash.
Mar 15, 2023 10:12 AM
Feb 2022
I often watch anime with a MAL score under 7, because I personally do not put a lot of stock into scores on this website. I used to take MAL scores into consideration when choosing an anime to watch, but now for the most part they do not really factor into what I watch anymore.
Mar 15, 2023 10:26 AM

Oct 2019
the score is a factor, but It's not a must.

as an example, if a show doesn't seem interesting, I am way more likely to watch it of it had a high score.

now that said, below 6, is kind of the area where everything is pretty much guaranteed to be below average.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 15, 2023 12:05 PM

Apr 2016
I watch literally anything as long i find it enjoyable. Most of those i watch are probably average or below.
Mar 15, 2023 2:24 PM

Sep 2017
I honestly don't care much for the scores because sometimes there could be an anime that is rated below a 7 that I might love, I give the anime a try because you never know.
[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]

Mar 15, 2023 3:16 PM
May 2011
I usually don’t watch something if it’s below a 6 or 5 unless it’s something popular.
Mar 15, 2023 5:09 PM
Dec 2021
Considering most masterpieces are within the 6-7 range, I do.
Mar 15, 2023 5:28 PM

Jun 2010
Yes, don't really care about rating as long as it caught my attention or genre i like.

Mar 15, 2023 7:09 PM

Feb 2021
Yeah. Himegoto is just below seven. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Mar 15, 2023 7:42 PM
Jul 2022
I don't look at the ratings at all. Who knows I could end up liking it.
“𝐋𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐚𝐭 𝐦𝐲 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬, 𝐅𝐚𝐲𝐞. 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐟𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐈 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭. 𝐒𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧, 𝐈’𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐞𝐲𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫.”

Mar 15, 2023 7:51 PM

Oct 2016
Yeah, I only look at scores to see the differences with other sites.
Mar 15, 2023 7:57 PM

May 2016
I don't judge a show on MAL by the MAL score. However, if i think a show is ass and it doesn't give me any guilty pleasure likeness ie to continue watching then I drop it (usually if its a 6 or below)
Mar 15, 2023 8:05 PM
Sep 2018
MAL scores are so inflated that i assume anything below 7 is a garbage, unless someone recomends it to me ofc.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» If MAL didn't exist

Alpha_1_Zero - 27 minutes ago

7 by Spunkert »»
12 seconds ago

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 8 hours ago

17 by Theo1899 »»
9 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

52 by -YaoiBoy- »»
13 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

57 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago

» If your favorite anime exploded in popularity to the point that everyone in socmed talks about it, would you like it or not?

Rinrinka - 58 minutes ago

11 by Zettaiken »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.