Forum Settings
Forums

What anime had the biggest impact/influence on your taste in anime?

New
Nov 30, 2022 10:41 AM

Jun 2017
It could be the series that got you into your favorite genre, it could be the one that gave you a favorite character who you wanted all other characters to be like or it could be the first thing that pops in your head when you hear the word "Anime".

Something like that.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 30, 2022 10:48 AM

Sep 2020
Maybe Kanon and Gochusa, the former made me really enjoy drama series, and the latter made me really like CGDCT and slice of life genre.
Nov 30, 2022 11:01 AM

Feb 2021
Tsuki ga Kirei and Clannad. Showed me the real standards in romance animes.
Tonikaku Kawaii also got me definitely into the romance genre
Nov 30, 2022 11:02 AM
Apr 2022
idk i have a lot Saiki Kusuo is one of them his personalilty and the way he talks and his voice are awesome and how he acts overall is what i really love
Nov 30, 2022 11:07 AM

Feb 2020
It is obviously Naruto and to a lesser extend ittazura na kiss for me. I am a simple man, who like simple obvious genre like romance and action. But even I have wishes for how such type should play out. These two pretty much set the standard for me in their respective areas by meeting most of my requirements.
AdampkNov 30, 2022 11:15 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 30, 2022 11:11 AM
Sep 2020
Lain Serial Experiments
Got me addicted to Avant Garde/Dementia
Nov 30, 2022 11:20 AM

Feb 2020
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?
K-On!
Love Live!
Natsume Yuujinchou
Tanoshii Muumin Ikka
Yuru Yuri

etc.
Nov 30, 2022 11:31 AM

Nov 2021
Maybe Re:zero and code geass and toradora
after Re:zero i started watching more sad animes!

third picture :re:zero reddit ( [Media] Emilia & Subaru in kimono by@51senre)
Nov 30, 2022 11:39 AM

Aug 2009
Agent Aika showed me that ecchi can be more fun than shows that take themselves seriously.

Nov 30, 2022 11:52 AM
Nov 2022
Naruto got me into every anime the reason I started watching more anime was because of naruto
Kimi ni todoke or kaichou wa maid-sama got me into romance anime.
The misfit of the demon king/Seirei gensouki got me into fantasy/op mc anime.
Haikyuu got me into sports anime.
Maaz_jsNov 30, 2022 11:57 AM
Nov 30, 2022 12:25 PM

May 2019
Queen's Blade and Bikini Warriors showed me that there can actually be an amazing action ecchi show about sexy girls fighting in bikini armors.
Nov 30, 2022 12:35 PM
Sep 2022
devilman crybaby ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎
Nov 30, 2022 12:59 PM
Jul 2018
Shakugan no Shana
K-On!
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Nov 30, 2022 1:00 PM

Feb 2019
Bakemonogatari.
It changed how I view anime forever. It made me see an artistic side to anime I never knew existed. It was a breath of fresh air of originality. Filled to the brim with metaphors, allegorical imagery, and entrancing cinematography. It introduced me to a world of anime I never knew I would love.
Nov 30, 2022 1:02 PM

Apr 2015
I don't think my taste is that different with other mediums... But I guess I'll be different and say Go Nagai. Mainly his imagination and creating own universe is what I desire when jumping to new works. Humor, writing and art is so-so usually. Considering conditions he worked majority of time I don't expect everything to be gold.
Nov 30, 2022 1:41 PM
Dec 2021
Smile Precure (dub) is what sparked my obsession with the magical girl genre, which I now feel is the “true” genre of anime.
Nov 30, 2022 2:04 PM

Jan 2022
Honestly, if I had to go with anything it be the 45 minute (1989) one shot OVA of...

as far as having an impact on me and me resonating with the character, or what STILL comes to mind to me as "anime" some 31years later from when I first saw it at age 13. It's the kind of anime I 💕 ❤️ and probably why I just gravitated to stuff like Black Lagoon, Jormungand, GOLGO 13, NOIR, and more.

But as far as like a character and the story line really touching my soul is to this day still the 1978 original TV Series of ...

along with the amazing 1982 movie

Matsumoto REALLY interweaves human emotion and just animation excellence with these romantic stories of triumph in the face of adversity in a future world where mankind is even more complacent and fucked that where we are in 2022.

I like a lot of anime and genres but CAPTAIN HARLOCK (all all Lejiverse stories) is the most impactful. The Bean Bandit thing is just more of a topical impact from my youth that carries on until now.

From modern anime I'd have to say GOLDEN KAMUY is my favorite.
Nov 30, 2022 2:14 PM

Sep 2020
I just seek out more bizarre moments in anime after watching Jojo's, Baki, and Terra Formars, in the sense that they are over-the-top but never stop taking themselves seriously.
Nov 30, 2022 2:40 PM
Jun 2021
Kaguya-sama
That's why I started watching/reading romance animes/mangas.
Even though most romance anime is pretty average.
Nov 30, 2022 2:47 PM
Jan 2016
Gintama for getting me into anime with a unique, eccentric, lovable cast

Psycho Pass/Shinsekai Yori for getting me into philosophical/darker anime!

And Alice Academy for romance :)
Nov 30, 2022 3:06 PM

May 2020
Serial Experiment Lain for sure. I watched more then a year ago and I started to watch many shows with similar tone and more obscure, it's becoming a passion for me

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Nov 30, 2022 3:29 PM

Feb 2016
It has to be something I watched as a kid, obviously. Cardcaptors taught me that episodic shows can have compelling overarching storylines.
その目だれの目?
Nov 30, 2022 3:52 PM

Mar 2021
TheBlockernator said:
What anime had the biggest impact/influence on your taste in anime?

When I 1st started watching Anime there was very little I actually had access to other than what was randomly played on UHF or cable TV or unless I could actually rent it on VHS. The entire "Project A-Ko" franchise basically shaped my interest in Anime for over a decade where I was eventually starting buying actual Anime in the early 90s on VHS from "Devil Hunter Yohko" to "Ghost in the Shell". But still couldn't really afford at the time to create a very big collection to actually own.

Then my Anime tastes shifted to a more perverted side in the late 90s when I 1st discovered actual Ecchi Anime with the release of the "Agent AIKa" 4 part OVA. It wasn't long after that just a few years later when Cartoon Network starting airing actual quality Anime series like "Trigun" and "Cowboy Bebop". During this time period I was able to finally watch mainstream Anime on Cartoon Network and also have the luxury of going to Suncoast and start buying Ecchi Anime series on DVD like "Najica Blitz Tactics" which no western TV network at the time would ever even consider airing. This time period simply ended the era of renting Anime at video rentals for me personally because Anime suddenly became affordable for me to actually start collecting on DVD on a massive scale. This like started the Golden age of actually collecting Anime for me personally.

Over the course of this time period basically shaped all Anime I started collecting between the mid 2000s to the late 2010s up to this day. Though for the longest time during the 90s till the mid 2000s when I thought about what "Anime" was I would always still think about "Akira". Even if specifically "Akira" had little bearing on what I actually watched or collected.
ColourWheelNov 30, 2022 4:18 PM
Nov 30, 2022 4:03 PM

Aug 2020
Detective Conan - first anime love
Monster - got me into anime as a whole and every other dark psychological drama thrillers eg Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, Steins;Gate etc
HxH 2011 - removed my prejudice towards battle shounen
OPM - best in terms of tackling large-scale state of emergency situations
Nov 30, 2022 4:09 PM

Oct 2013
Bleach. the cool main casts, cool enemy squad, fashion, philosophy/theme on every single fight, the rule of cool. The reason why it's the best big 3 and number 1 on mal.
Dec 1, 2022 3:11 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Ranma, slam dunk, kochikame, kindiachi and captain Tsubasa

Dec 1, 2022 4:16 AM

Aug 2019
My first two animes were death note and TG and I think that made me like psychological and dark fantasies

Dec 1, 2022 4:28 AM

Dec 2020
It was after watching the Monogatari Series that I properly started watching anime. So I'd say that had the biggest impact.
Also watching eva for the second time (I didn't like it the first time) was also very impactful and affected how I judge anime or any form of art/entertainment in general. Other than that Tatami Galaxy and Katanagatari were also very important.

Dec 1, 2022 4:29 AM

Nov 2022
I think it is the other way around: my taste, that formed mostly before I even watched anime, influences anime I like.

I can't really think of any one particular title that would put me that way. Literary analysis classes in school may be. Interest in philosophy since young age.

Generally I have an analytical mindset (way of thinking).

I am INTJ on Myer-Briggs system and Libra on zodiac.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Dec 1, 2022 4:30 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Cardcaptor Sakura influenced me so much that I came to like anime and magical girl genre :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 1, 2022 4:57 AM

Oct 2019
obviously the answer is a mix of everything.

but I think steins;gate is the show with the most contribution to the mix for me.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 1, 2022 5:12 AM

Feb 2018
SDF MACROSS and it's VF-1 "Valkyrie" Variable Fighter Mecha single-handedly sold me on Mecha and Anime in general about 25/30-odd years ago;

Galaxy Fraulein Yuna, -with it's Puffy-Fluffy Girls- was just about the first "Proto-Moe" Anime to come along, -20/25 years ago-
and really get me to pay serious attention to just how sumptuously-Adorable Anime Ladies can so often be;

Dec 1, 2022 5:13 AM

Dec 2021
Poco's Udon World: I discovered one of my fav theme "Childcare".

Steins;Gate: This eventually became my standard for any Time Travel story.

Serial Experiment Lain: Made me curious about Avant Garde
Dec 1, 2022 5:17 AM

Feb 2019
I don't really think there was a specific anime that influenced my taste except for my first anime "Assassination Classroom", getting me into anime.

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

Dec 1, 2022 7:32 AM

Mar 2012
For negative things it was Kyo Kara Maoh (it's literally the definition of everything I hate except for Conrad, I love Conrad!):
- My hate for tsunderes started with Wolfram
- My hate for BL and its tropes started from this series
- My hate for forced relationships started with this series
- My hate for goody-two-shoes all forgiving MCs that let others walk all over them started with this

I watch various kinds of anime and don't have any particular theme I love except for maybe horror and mystery which started with Higurashi (manga).
Dec 1, 2022 7:44 AM

May 2020
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoukou!!!

Its bcoz of this show that made me want to think hard enough on shows!!!
Be it on the psychological aspect of it,
Or how important the interactions of the characters are!!!
This show is basically why i discovered the SOL genre & Psychological genre!!!
In which both became my 2 favorite genres!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Dec 1, 2022 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
Death note ,Haruhi ,FMA , hyouka and Code geass.
Dec 1, 2022 8:14 AM

Mar 2021
Steel ball run

Before that I was only liking battle shonens like db super, naruto, bleach, etc
But after reading sbr my preferences shifted towards story-focused series rather than action-focused series
Dec 1, 2022 8:24 AM

Jul 2021
A-Channel, Blend-S, Yuru Yuri, Gabriel DropOut, Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka? got me into the SoL + Comedy genres.
Dec 1, 2022 10:12 AM

Aug 2021
Pretty much my first anime from its genre
Aot for tragedy, drama (86, Vinland Saga, Fate/Zero)
Jjba for battle shounen (Tokyo Ghoul, Jjk, Kny)
Evangelion for dark fantasy (Devilman CB, SE Lain, Kiseijuu)
Cowboy Bebop for mature action, adult cast (Samurai Champloo, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfather)
Girls' Last Tour for cgdct (Nichijou, Azumanga Daioh, K-on)
Sonny Boy for obscure surrealism (Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong)
Violet Evergarden for sol, iyashikei (3-gatsu no Lion, Haibane Renmei, Koe no Katachi)
Death Note for psychological, thriller (Monster, Steins;gate)
Dec 1, 2022 10:19 AM

Feb 2021
Candy Candy for me. From that amazing series I started to submerge into the brilliant world of anime and manga. Candy opened the grotesque road for me to the amazing new world full of many different discoveries.
Dec 1, 2022 10:24 AM

Feb 2020
Dec 1, 2022 10:39 AM
Jan 2016
Inuyasha, easily. That has in many ways set my standards for anime in general, to the point that if a certain anime is similar to it, then chances are I like it even if it's not the kind of anime I normally watch. For example, I don't watch a lot of shoujo, but I really enjoyed Kamisama Kiss and I am definitely looking forward to Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts.
Joe_DevaneyDec 3, 2022 12:19 PM
Dec 1, 2022 11:10 AM

Jun 2022
Aria the Animation is definitely the one that made me fall in love with Slice of Life genre.
Angel beats and Anohana, these two are what made me start my journey to watch more anime!
Dec 3, 2022 2:48 AM
Jun 2021
Unusual one here, but watching Transformers Galaxy Force (a.k.a. Transformers Cybertron) as a kid made me fall in love with mecha. Still my favorite Transformers show.
Then, back when I was 15, I rewatched Cybertron because nostalgia and came upon Yuusha Oh GaoGaiGar thanks to Tfwiki having an article on the Yuusha franchise. After that I was definitely hooked to mecha, there was no going back.
The works of one Yoshiyuki Tomino in turn made me appreciate the more serious side of sci-fi anime.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Dec 3, 2022 3:13 AM

Apr 2012
Vampire Knight got me into anime to begin with. I loved seeing Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon as a kid but rarely got to see em. I remember I had to hide the fact that I was watching anime while watching Vampire Knight and Shakugan no Shana, lmao. Speaking of which...

Shakugan no Shana got me into watching longer animes with multiple seasons, appreciating different elements like action, fantasy, slice-of-life and romance within the same story.

High School DxD ruined me for a good few years watching tons of ecchi, lmao.

Death Note and Attack on Titan showed me animes could have mature, thrilling storylines that could go up against other media. Code Geass and Erased too. More and more with time, I find myself preferring animes like those. Vinland Saga is a recent example of an anime I really enjoyed.

My Hero Academia taught me it was fine to get into a long anime while it was still current. I used to wait for animes to finish airing before binging them all in one go, which meant that I missed out on a few big animes when they had more discussion around them. I still wait for an entire season to finish airing before I watch it (too impatient to wait week-to-week), but I don't wait for an entire show to end cuz most of them never do. And it's fun to look forward to the next season.
Dec 3, 2022 3:14 AM

Jul 2021
anohana and plastic memories were the ones which pushed me over and made me seek more romantic and sad animes. those were the first time of those animes for me. before that i had watched only death note, tokyo ghoul and assassination classroom. i stumbled upon these animes from somewhere i don't know how but it changed everything. i always liked romance genre from before (always watched romantic movies/tv shows and read YA fiction novels a lot) but these were the ones which exposed me to it in animes.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 3, 2022 5:26 AM

Feb 2022
Tenchi muyo and those 2011 shows like kore wa zombie, denpa onna, hidan no aria (not a fav anymore). THe year I moved away from TV and battle shounen to looking up relatively less mainsteam titles on the net.
Dec 3, 2022 5:29 AM

Dec 2022
For me its
Attack on Titan
The way the mystery unravels in aot and the storytelling is so good I've seen such a thing in any other mediums
Dec 3, 2022 5:40 AM

Aug 2021
ugh im quite new and back when i was finding out what i like what affects me the most what i like the most u know trying different genres i finally stumbled upon dragon-maid, which is basically turbo mega qt slice of life
cute stuff affects me a lot, like it can make me cry and scream (in a happy way) and its basically sensory overload u know what im saying and this sort of motivated me to seek out a lot more slice of life and it kinda became my favorite genre (in addition to comedy)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 3 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 30

130 by Aymu-Kun765 »»
1 minute ago

» Why do Anime fail at its job? Harem Anime not ending in Harem. Revenge-plot not ending in Revenge.

Dragevard - 3 minutes ago

0 by Dragevard »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - Apr 26

48 by unknown_user__ »»
4 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

81 by zoeanime13 »»
10 minutes ago

» Which anime girls would be fun to watch in Boxing or MMA fights? (WITH GLOVES)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 14

17 by MUFFlN »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.