Forum Settings
Forums

How strict were your parents about letting you play M Rated games?

New
Nov 9, 2022 8:10 AM

Jun 2017
About how strict would you say your parents were about M Rated games? Were they super strict or did they just genuinely not care what you played?

(The poll answers are jsut examples, it doesn't have to be exact to your experience)
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 9, 2022 8:41 AM

Jul 2016
My parents didn't care what game we played as kids.
Nov 9, 2022 9:00 AM

Aug 2009
Though I was 13 when I played Grand Theft Auto Vice City when it was newish thanks to a friend loaning it to me, I mainly bought my own games and stuck with which games were appropriate for my ESRB age range at the time, as well as just caring more about the Ratchet & Clank series, the Jak series, and Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 at the moment while I was more or less indifferent towards GTA until I was old enough to buy them on my own.

The only M rated game that I asked a parent for was Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition when I was 16 almost turning 17, so me getting it during Christmas 2006 wasn't a big deal.
FacelessVixenNov 9, 2022 9:04 AM

Nov 9, 2022 9:40 AM

Jun 2014
My mother was never bothered by the content in a video games that I played. To her, it was "fiction," so it didn't matter.

Back around 1994, when I first rented "Mortal Kombat" and "Mortal Kombat II" for my Sega Genesis, my mother had no problem with the violence. As a matter of fact, she played the games with me.

Nov 9, 2022 9:41 AM

Feb 2016
There weren't any M rated games I wanted to play as a child. Even as an adult, only a small percentage of my games have that rating.
その目だれの目?
Nov 9, 2022 9:51 AM
May 2012
My mother was very strict. She wouldn't let me play most Teen games, let alone Mature.
Nov 9, 2022 10:02 AM

Feb 2015
My mom was always super strict when it came to video games. I wasn't allowed to play the majority of action games and I'm not even talking about shooters. When I was around 14, I wanted to buy Street Fighter 4 for PC and it took a lot of effort and weeks of arguing to convince her. She thought it was some kind of hyperviolent game about murdering civilians in the streets or something like that (even though the game is rated 12+ in my country...) Another game I always wanted and didn't play until way later was Dragon Ball Origins on Nintendo DS, but that game was rated 16+ in Germany (because you see Goku's uncensored dick in the game). But again, my mom thought the game had such a high rating because it was too violent. However, this time I didn't get the game, because I wasn't 16 years old (I was like 12-13 if I recall correctly...)

Basically, until I was 18 years old I only played baby games... which was ok, since I was a big Nintendo fan anyway. I mostly played games like Zelda or Pokemon. But It would have been neat, if I could play something like Fallout too, occasionally... Or at the very least 2D fighting games, which I was obsessed with, but rarely got to play. So instead I just played crappy flash versions of Street Fighter or King of Fighters or just watched gameplay videos on Youtube.

Nov 9, 2022 10:27 AM

Aug 2017
I was allowed to play them when I was 12-ish as long as it was at a friend's house, I wasn't allowed to own any. The first M-rated game I owned was Fallout 4 for my 17th birthday.
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Nov 9, 2022 11:07 AM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
They didn't care at all. I think I was around 8 when I started gaming.
Nov 9, 2022 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
Not very at all. My dad would play Mortal Kombat with me as a 6 year old. I would actually say he was too lax in some regards, shit was scarring.
Nov 9, 2022 11:27 AM

Feb 2020
Not strict at all, although I don't think I had such games like that until I bought Doom on PS1, although someone had to buy it for me as I was maybe ehh... about 10 or 11? (I really don't remember how old I was exactly?). Although saying that, I remember one of my copied ST games had a woman with her tits out on one of the game's menu lol (I forget which game it was though?), So definitely I probably would have played that at some point when even younger, but probably wouldn't have been interested in the Anatomy, and my parents would never have known about that unless they happened to walk in on it.

My mother did give me hell about playing Anime games in my late 20s though. She hated anything ecchi.
Nov 9, 2022 12:36 PM
Jul 2018
They never cared about what I played, I could literally play any game I wanted to, regardless of the rating. After all, they're just games.
Nov 9, 2022 12:59 PM

Jan 2020
I don't think they even realized games had a rating system when I was growing up, or, if they did, they certainly didn't care.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Nov 9, 2022 1:17 PM

Apr 2020
My parents didn't care what sort of games I played. They didn't really ever buy me games, but they never stopped me from buying them with my own money.
Nov 9, 2022 2:17 PM

Sep 2017
My parents would get mad over GTA V because I played it way too much and started getting low scores
I was also only allowed to play Mortal Kombat 9 an hour a week(On Thursdays)
خ
Nov 10, 2022 8:14 AM

Dec 2015
My parents didn't give a single shit about what I was playing, my late father was the one who let me play at my earliest years of living with games [I didn't check if they are actually M rated tbh] like Wolfenstein, Call of Duty 1, Quake, Shadowman etc. And my mother as my family isn't reach I usually was asking for particular 1-2 games for bday/boy day/xmass as a gift so not only I got a pass since I was 2-3+ to play whatever I wanted, they could always check it, they [father mainly] knew the game etc. I don't think that my mother knows about rating especially that M is Mature for english words and my mother doesn't speak nor know english, so even if the PEGI 17 would be shown it didn't really matter.
Nov 10, 2022 11:11 AM

Jun 2016
My dad introduced me to Call of Duty, Medal of Honor and Battlefield when I was 5.
Although I think all three were still T rated back then.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 10, 2022 6:10 PM
Mar 2017
I buy the R18+ games myself like the Conception, GalGun and such so that stays with me. Otherwise if it's something I explore as other genres many times it's clear I play for the gameplay and I research all sorts of stuff of hardware, games, old tech, new tech, anime, EDM music, whatever so it's never a case of oh it's because it's a fan service (though I keep the fan service ones to myself so..... but if something like Bayonetta, I got Bayonetta 3 for Chrimstas and I play other hack n slashes so it's more the gameplay, trying different things).

Which as I buy them for the gameplay makes sense or for research of genres of games not the ecchi content or the blood and gore in them. So as an image it's fine, but also true I do experience them for the gameplay not the whatever fan service/violence in them. Why saying oh the games have this content with this rating can be odd to say it is from trying to understand ratings even if it can feel weird to say ecchi incentives as a descriptor for Conception but still. But even if I don't mind ecchi it's not that bad but you can tell well if not into ecchi shows live action western show you bet it's clear to get ecchi games myself and not talk about them. While otherwise violent ones well most of the time going for content not because it's gorey none of us can stand gore.

I only played Teen games at the limit otherwise kids games. Seeing kids pick up Uncharted or Minecraft on PS3 is something for sure from what I saw a few years ago.

I had seen COD at some point but I wasn't into the blood/taking damage effects (sure they aren't real but for a kid it's this 'oh what is that on the screen') or played Resistance Fall of Man multiplayer some time and was kind of freaked out then but that's about it.

There was a game I have never remembered where your in a kitchen. I always thought it was a X-Files kind of game but I don't know that's all I remember is the kitchen and it being kind of scary with some villain/enemy I don't remember much more. I know it was a PS2 game that's it. Every other game from my childhood I remember whether old platformers, old racing games, anything whether the OG Xbox console being sold or PS2/Xbox/PS3 games we sold I have uncovered them over time but I never remembered this kitchen one still to this day. No idea if it was licensed or was a horro game or whatever I just don't remember at all. But I remember I went into the hallway and wanted nothing to do with it. i even remembered a kids horror show called Freaky that only aired on TV never got a DVD release this New Zealand show. I rewatched it on YouTube all the episodes and found some familiar scenes.

The closest I'd played was Star Wars Battlefront I think. Over time COD games I got used to if I remember correctly (played co-op splitscreen campaign not multiplayer, played Halo 3 the same way with the campaign).

I never knew we had Halo 1 on the OG Xbox I only played Blinx 1 or Forza Motorsport 1 or Scaler back then so I know they kept mature games away from me and I don't mind. They eased me into them. I played Halo 3 and other entries later.

With the PS2/Xbox/Wii/DS/PSP/PS3/around the time I got a 360 or later PS3 games would be the time I played mature games. I had many G/PG/M (AU ratings) or E/T games (US ratings) for sure. Even on PC I had kids titles and played tycoon games (Theme Hospital, Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2, The Sims 1 & 2 but never got to the relationship stuff/woo hoo stuff just the skills, painting to get simoleons, pets you know whatever stuff a kid can do in the game).

I'm not ignoring for everyone games at all these days I enjoy them as much as mature games, they offer something different of themes and mechanics and silliness that the other doesn't sometimes.I play a mix of everyone and mature rated games. I bought many over time to experience God of War, Socom among other Sony IPs, Xbox ones, Nintendo, third parties of noteable and niche status. So I have experienced many I missed out on and recollected those I used to own over time (got my 2 PS2 copies of Scaler for example).
Suntanned_Duck2Apr 19, 2023 6:09 PM
Nov 10, 2022 6:17 PM
Mar 2021
My parents strict behavior changed overtime. Like when I was a kid till like 13, they would not allow ANY M rated games. The most mature game we had at the time was Fortnite. But I convinced them to get me an M rated game next time we went to GameStop. We got Assassin's Creed: Ezio Collection. I got Odyssey after that, and they didn't care. Ever since, they just did not care ab the rating for the game.
Nov 10, 2022 7:06 PM
Dec 2017
as long as you're a good person no biggie thats how my parents viewed it

Nov 14, 2022 4:20 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
My mom didn't let me play them for a while but my dad would, on occasion. That's how I first played Halo, and Metal Gear Solid 2.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Nov 14, 2022 6:15 PM
Jul 2018
My mom doesn't like violent video games, but she also wasn't concerned about it.
Also I didn't play much of egoshooters and the like, because I was and I am very bad at it, so I stopped playing them soon lol.
Nov 14, 2022 7:51 PM

Jul 2022
My parents does not care what I play one bit, they just care about how long I play video games
Kek

Nov 18, 2022 8:24 PM

Jul 2021
My parents followed the ESRB rating system religiously, not in the Bible study sense but rather in the no questions asked sense. As a result, I was never allowed to play a lot of great games that kids my age were.

It took some convincing but when I was fifteen I finally got through to them and they let me play M-rated games. Or at least games with minimal mature content, like CoD with the graphic content filter on. Later on they stopped caring, entirely.
Nov 19, 2022 4:19 PM
Jul 2018
Neither of them cared.
Nov 19, 2022 9:30 PM
Jul 2018
My parents - both good people - were never strict in terms of entertainment. They were strict in how I treated other people and that was pretty much it.
Nov 20, 2022 2:01 AM

Oct 2011
My parents are divorced, so I'll be putting them separately.

Mother: When I was younger, my mother wouldn't mind me playing RATED M games as long as it didn't affect my studies or my behavior. However, if there was a small change in my behavior or my grades started slipping, I get the slapping.

Father: Very strict, if he knew what the games were specifically, I'd lose access to playing any games, even if they're not RATED M.
Nov 20, 2022 3:10 AM

Mar 2015
I never got any 18+ games but I do remember getting a few 12+ games and I think even 16+ games before I reached those ages.

My mom still complains a bit if she sees me playing a game that seems violent but not to the point where she tries to stop me from playing them. Weirdly enough she saw me playing Blue Archive recently and didn't say anything. Guess half naked anime girls are fine in her eyes LOL
Nov 25, 2022 1:02 PM
I love femboys.

Sep 2022
I got blessed with parents who don't care.

My moments with Black Ops 2 & GTA 5 (2013) were some of the best memories of my life.
𝙊𝙣𝙚 𝙋𝙞𝙚𝙘𝙚 𝙥𝙖𝙘𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙞𝙨 𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙡𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙚. - 𝙕𝙖𝙘𝙝
Nov 25, 2022 3:24 PM

Aug 2010
My mum was pretty strict when it came to violence in video games so I only really played shooters and things like GTA at friends houses. Goldeneye on the N64 was about her limit for gun games. lol
Nov 26, 2022 12:19 AM
Jul 2018
my parents didn't want me to play m rated games when i was a kid but i was a Nintendo fanboy anyway so i didn't gaf LMAO
Nov 26, 2022 1:56 PM

Jul 2013
Somewhat strict, especially when my brother and I got our hands on True Crime: Streets of LA. We told our mom that the game was about a Kung fu cop fighting bad guys. She said it sounded like a Jet Li movie.
Nov 26, 2022 3:10 PM

Aug 2021
I have some old family footage where you can see me playing Doom as a 6 or 7 year old kid. My parents never cared what I played, and I started to play video games on a very young age. I can even remember when our first internet connection became available. There wasn't any multi-player games nor social media or what so ever.

Since then i'm playing video games, and my parents didn't cared what I played.

"Most people talk about killing time while time is killing them. You can outrun everything but you'll never outrun the hands of time. Use it wisely before you expire". - Toonen1988

"Cyberpunk show us the dark side, reveiling the dangerous side effects of the drug of futurism." - Indigo Gaming
Nov 26, 2022 9:39 PM

Jul 2021
they knew it was bound to happen. i would find the stuff related to m rated games so they just didn't care

Qué maravilla.

You don't belong
here. You never did.
Nov 27, 2022 6:34 AM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
They were pretty strict, though when I got an Xbox360 I just bought microsoft points and got them digitally instead. Eventually when I was 15 or 16 they weren't really bothered.
Nov 27, 2022 10:00 AM

Aug 2019
Somewhat. My parents wouldn't let me and my step-siblings play M-rated games on our own but I remember my step-dad always playing games like Resident Evil 4 and Conker's Bad Fur Day when I was a kid. Once I got into my adolescence, my parents could have cared less.
Nov 28, 2022 12:06 AM

Jun 2022
my parents didnt care except for M, and then later they let me play some like halo but not grand theft auto, until i waslike 15 or 16. of course i had learned how to pirate at 11 or 12. and one of the first things i did was pirate gta 3. the only one that ran on the shitty old computer with no internet that they gave me in my room. (internet only on the family pc)
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
Nov 28, 2022 2:33 AM

Jun 2021
pretty loose overall, and anyway i probably never played actual M Rated games until i was in my late teens and italy in general never had too much of age restricting rules about videogames. Only things i can think about are...

- they bought a Game Gear for me and my older brother that included Mortal Kombat 2, it was 1995 so there was no internet or too much information on the news about violent videogames, and they never discovered about fatalities otherwise they could have regretted giving it to us

- in 1999 my mother commented negatively Tekken 3 while i was playing the demo calling it ugly and uneducative and wishing my father wouldn't have bought our then recently purchased new Playstation, but never became a moral guardian as i feared back then. Some months after, my father himself commented negatively Carmageddon after probably watching some tv news about it, and in this period my older brother and neighbour best friend were playing it (i was fine with it but not too involved, and they asked me to see through the windows if all four of our parents returned home with their cars to avoid any risk and turn off the console in time)

Nov 28, 2022 6:14 AM

Sep 2020
It's weird that they let me play 16+ m games while a big no for 18+ game, they said it's too violent

girl, i'm a boy, let me do chaos, but besides, i agreed on that, and i'm already 17, so no one can stop me next year lmao

AND LOOK, I PLAYED NINTENDO GAMES NOW INSTEAD OF M RATED GAMES LMAOOOOOOOO
Nov 29, 2022 6:45 AM

Feb 2020
In my mother's era there were not computer or game consoles in her area. So she doesn't know a thing about games let alone rating. She still doesn't know even now for most part

That being said my mother indeed didn't allow me to play any games unless I make a scene. But the games i used to play as kid are not the bought games rather pirated or hacked games or free games. So she wouldn't really have a chance to know rating anyways. But if she was enough knowledgeable and such situation arise, she definitely wouldn't let me play
AdampkNov 29, 2022 6:52 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 29, 2022 10:14 AM

May 2019
Not as strict as they should have been.
Nov 29, 2022 2:34 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
She wasn't really strict but it was a mix of her thinking it's okay, and trusting me enough to know how to deal with it. But yea, wasn't fond of it but that's about it.

smoochie smoochie

Nov 29, 2022 2:35 PM

Apr 2019
ehhhh they havent ever cared about what i played. but i only played nintendo games when little so like. whatever tbh
Nov 30, 2022 11:54 AM

May 2016
They didn't mind as long as it didn't affect my studies or behavior.

Nov 30, 2022 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
Mine didn't gaf, they thought Grand Theft Auto was hilarious and let me play it since I was maybe 7 or 8. They also let me watch R-rated movies at that age
Dec 2, 2022 5:16 AM

Oct 2019
They didn't care at all one bit. The first movie I ever saw in a movie theater was Lethal Weapon 2 when I was 8, so fantasy violence in media was never a concern to my parents.
Dec 2, 2022 7:11 PM

Jan 2022
the whole ESRB rating system didn't even come into existence until about the time I was 16 years old. So it didn't effect me all that much.
Dec 2, 2022 7:13 PM

Sep 2018
They never allowed it minus for persona 5 and a Date A Live game. As a man with a job now, I buy what I want now.

I mostly play waifu games and jrpgs.
rohan121Dec 2, 2022 7:16 PM
Dec 3, 2022 6:57 AM

Jun 2022
My parent don't care what games I play, doubt they know what M rated games mean (well they never play video games in their life at all, and I have asian parents lol) , but if the game is too expensive they'd refused to buy it for me.
Now as an adult myself, I can just do what I want now.
Jan 30, 2023 9:16 AM

Aug 2016
Had to find other ways to get games that i wanted, they were kinda strict so had to be discreet 

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Are you using Linux???

DesuMaiden - May 2

12 by logopolis »»
1 hour ago

» Tsukihime remake will not have adult content rating!? What do you think?

rohan121 - May 2

8 by GrimAtrament »»
1 hour ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3528 by creepylurker »»
2 hours ago

» The Mike Pollock drama that is going on recently will go down in history!

funtime43_tr - 4 hours ago

1 by Lost_Viking »»
3 hours ago

» GTA V vs GTA IV

tectacles - May 2

3 by Zettaiken »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.