Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 8, 2022 7:21 AM

Oct 2021
its a cute romcom and with likeable characters and insights about cosplay. thats it.
Aug 8, 2022 7:26 AM

Oct 2021
Catalano said:
every time I wanna watch, that loser appears on the screen and it kills my enjoyment, I'm better off watching Marin on gelbooru

imagine calling a 6 ft tall handsome(according to side characters of manga) guy who can make hina dolls , one of the toughest art forms, and cosplay clothes a loser. he pretty much is the perfect romcom protagonist.
Aug 8, 2022 7:34 AM

Oct 2021
abystoma2 said:
Tits. Breasts. Booba. Topped with some self-insert fantasizing. I honestly do not believe the people who claim they've watched it for the story.

seriously who is the self insert character in mdud? forget the girl even gojou is tall, handsome and talented in different crafts with great personality. if someone can self insert into him he would not need any self insert escapism. or did you get the meaning of self insert wrong.
Aug 8, 2022 7:44 AM

Sep 2014
Well it's a romantic anime and I like romantic anime. Do I need to say more?
Aug 8, 2022 7:59 AM
Feb 2021
First i watch it beacause it visual then it beacause the show it so wholesome and the main character is very likable and of course the ultimate reason the tits.. i mean the boob, i mean inui shinju.Yep beacause inui Shinju nothing else.
Aug 8, 2022 8:34 AM

Dec 2021
I watched it because, at that moment, it was one of those shows everyone were talking about. And it was short, only twelve episodes.
I found it entertaining. Story wasn't nothing extraordinary but the characters were likeables and it was well animated. A seven for me.

Aug 8, 2022 9:56 AM

Aug 2020
watched it on a whim...continued because of fan service
Aug 8, 2022 10:05 AM

Nov 2013
RBTHE1ST said:
abystoma2 said:
Tits. Breasts. Booba. Topped with some self-insert fantasizing. I honestly do not believe the people who claim they've watched it for the story.

seriously who is the self insert character in mdud? forget the girl even gojou is tall, handsome and talented in different crafts with great personality. if someone can self insert into him he would not need any self insert escapism. or did you get the meaning of self insert wrong.
Which part of "quiet introverted guy with hobby that would seem weird to others suddenly gets a popular busty girl interested in him" does not sound like a self-insert fantasy to you?
You all need to watch Nami.

Aug 8, 2022 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
It's perfect if you are looking for a comforting anime. It's not a masterpiece but it is enjoyable.
Aug 8, 2022 10:16 AM

Aug 2013
It looked fun and the female lead is a qt.

It's a really mid anime though, the best part was the first half, after that it felt like the creator had no idea where to take the story anymore (and so fucking soon at that). The two sisters and their whole arc were boring as hell, and the only solace were a few cute moments between Kitagawa and Gojou.
Aug 8, 2022 10:18 AM

Jul 2021
came for marin. stayed for wholesome story and marin.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 8, 2022 10:18 AM

Mar 2021
I wasn't watching any seasonal at that time so I picked it up because watching a SoL weekly is a fun experience.
Aug 8, 2022 10:24 AM

Oct 2021
abystoma2 said:
RBTHE1ST said:

Which part of "quiet introverted guy with hobby that would seem weird to others suddenly gets a popular busty girl interested in him" does not sound like a self-insert fantasy to you?
from what i have seen and read in mdud gojou would be popular despite being introverted if he was a real life character. he is not only due to cliche anime logic. if someone tries to self insert into gojou a normal person would rather fell inferiour to him. if just having a niche hobby and a girl showing interest is self insert then almost all anime that are not gore fest or tear jerker are self insert.
Aug 8, 2022 10:26 AM

Nov 2013
RBTHE1ST said:
abystoma2 said:
from what i have seen and read in mdud gojou would be popular despite being introverted if he was a real life character. he is not only due to cliche anime logic. if someone tries to self insert into gojou a normal person would rather fell inferiour to him. if just having a niche hobby and a girl showing interest is self insert then almost all anime that are not gore fest or tear jerker are self insert.
I think you fail to grasp the concept of self-insert.

Aug 8, 2022 10:26 AM
Oct 2020
The anime didn't give me an inch of comedy or anything out of it
Aug 8, 2022 10:54 AM

Oct 2021
abystoma2 said:
RBTHE1ST said:
from what i have seen and read in mdud gojou would be popular despite being introverted if he was a real life character. he is not only due to cliche anime logic. if someone tries to self insert into gojou a normal person would rather fell inferior to him. if just having a niche hobby and a girl showing interest is self insert then almost all anime that are not gore fest or tear jerker are self insert.
self insert escapism as most anime fans call it escapism is when a people try to put themselves in place of a fictional character they identify with in their head so that they can escape from reality . but the character at least needs to be mostly relatable to that person. like isekai protags before reincarnation or some light novel protags. but you cant call someone a self insertable just for one trait. for example my all time favorite anime is mushishi and i have thought of myself in place of ginko in his adventures. does that make him self insertable ? no, because i ,like most common people, cant identify with a lot of his characteristics i just think he is cool. i cant self insert into arvind ravi of planetes just because he is indian. same way i dont think many people can self insert into gojou because he got a lot of positive traits and character outside of being an introvert. if gojou is a self insert than all anime protags are self insert. correct me where i am wrong.
Aug 8, 2022 11:01 AM
Aug 2021
Heard it was wholesome so I gave it a try, hornier than what I prefer but it was pretty good
Aug 8, 2022 12:13 PM

Nov 2013
RBTHE1ST said:
abystoma2 said:
self insert escapism as most anime fans call it escapism is when a people try to put themselves in place of a fictional character they identify with in their head so that they can escape from reality . but the character at least needs to be mostly relatable to that person. like isekai protags before reincarnation or some light novel protags. but you cant call someone a self insertable just for one trait. for example my all time favorite anime is mushishi and i have thought of myself in place of ginko in his adventures. does that make him self insertable ? no, because i ,like most common people, cant identify with a lot of his characteristics i just think he is cool. i cant self insert into arvind ravi of planetes just because he is indian. same way i dont think many people can self insert into gojou because he got a lot of positive traits and character outside of being an introvert. if gojou is a self insert than all anime protags are self insert. correct me where i am wrong.

Self insert isn't "literally me". it's an idolizet position that is close enough to the demografic for them to be able to put themselves in the characters shoes but also with abilities and more importantly situations the audience lacks. Self insert is all about fantazying of being in the place of the protagonist. So of course Gojou is a self-insert. And yes, plenty of anime protagonists are.

Aug 8, 2022 12:20 PM

May 2020
Cute and wholesome at times, best way to relax post work.

Maybe try sleeping?

Aug 8, 2022 12:23 PM

Nov 2020
started for the boobs, stayed for Marin's personality
Aug 8, 2022 12:29 PM

Sep 2021
I saw a Mother's Basement review of it which looked good.
Aug 8, 2022 12:54 PM

Oct 2021
abystoma2 said:
RBTHE1ST said:

Self insert isn't "literally me". it's an idolizet position that is close enough to the demografic for them to be able to put themselves in the characters shoes but also with abilities and more importantly situations the audience lacks. Self insert is all about fantazying of being in the place of the protagonist. So of course Gojou is a self-insert. And yes, plenty of anime protagonists are.
you used the word self insert as an negative word to describe escapism in your first tweet. in that sense gojou cant be considered a self insert by me . all of us have at least felt once that we want to be in place of a certain anime character and part of that world. are all those characters self insert? i dont think i can have an escapist fantasy about mushishi or made in abyss. since both shows protags are vastly different from me. an actual example of self insert could be kazuya from rent a girlfriend who got zero positive traits but can still attract others .
Aug 8, 2022 1:00 PM

Jun 2017
I was deeply interested in the art of hina doll making.

Aug 8, 2022 1:32 PM

Jan 2022
I like Romantic Slice of Life. What other reason is there to watch anything?

RBTHE1ST said:
Catalano said:
every time I wanna watch, that loser appears on the screen and it kills my enjoyment, I'm better off watching Marin on gelbooru

imagine calling a 6 ft tall handsome(according to side characters of manga) guy who can make hina dolls , one of the toughest art forms, and cosplay clothes a loser. he pretty much is the perfect romcom protagonist.

Gojo is a genuine Chad and honestly very unsurprising Marin wants to bone. Not only is he highly skilled and talented, but as a person he’s a real stand-up dude who is willing to move heaven and earth for the wellbeing and happiness of others. He’s clearly very physically attracted to Marin and it would be easy to lust after her as just another sack of meat and take advantage of her trust, but Gojo sees her as a person and does his best to respect her as such.

Anyone who says otherwise is just intimidated of his god like work ethic and ability to sew.
-insert NGE meme here-
Aug 8, 2022 2:04 PM

Aug 2020
I didn’t watch it yet but I’m gonna watch it cause it’s trending and has high ratings
Aug 8, 2022 2:25 PM

Nov 2013
RBTHE1ST said:
abystoma2 said:

you used the word self insert as an negative word to describe escapism in your first tweet. in that sense gojou cant be considered a self insert by me . all of us have at least felt once that we want to be in place of a certain anime character and part of that world. are all those characters self insert? i dont think i can have an escapist fantasy about mushishi or made in abyss. since both shows protags are vastly different from me. an actual example of self insert could be kazuya from rent a girlfriend who got zero positive traits but can still attract others .

>tweet

back to twitter

Self insert characters are specifically designed to be self-inserted into.

Mushishi and MiA protagonists are rarely in favorable situations, so not exactly something to be self-inserted into.

Aug 8, 2022 4:45 PM

Aug 2020
I watched it for the cosplay plot and because I liked Marin's character design. I didn't like the fanservice (and probably wouldn't have started it if it was tagged as ecchi as it should have been) but grew used to it over the course of the show.

What bothered me more was the romance. It didn't feel natural to me, but then again, I find like 95% of all anime romance to be terrible, so maybe that's just a typical case of that. But yeah, she was seeing him as a normal classmate one minute and then the next she was like "wait am I in love with him? Wtf?" and then she was in love. Like, what?

That said, despite the fanservice and the weird insta-romance and the obligatory loli and gigantic boob minor, I thought it was a pretty cute show that did an unexpectedly good job at showing people that felt very much like real teens and not the idealized versions we see in most anime where no one has a life outside school and no one thinks about sex before they turn 18.
Aug 8, 2022 4:52 PM

Feb 2008
I liked the plot. Already read ~20 or more chapters of the manga before the anime started. I am not into women, so I don't really care for the fanservice. However, it doesn't bother me (usually it never does). I like the art and characterdesigns though.
Aug 8, 2022 6:37 PM

Oct 2021
abystoma2 said:
RBTHE1ST said:

>tweet

back to twitter

Self insert characters are specifically designed to be self-inserted into.

Mushishi and MiA protagonists are rarely in favorable situations, so not exactly something to be self-inserted into.
well i can write paragraphs answering your post but it seems that no matter how much i explain and i dont have time to fight that much 7/10 show.
https://youtu.be/USFpQkUp54o
watch this video , i agree with most of his takes about the topic. if you understand then fine, if not then you can keep believing your take . peace

Aug 8, 2022 7:22 PM

Jan 2019
What story and characters? I only remember self-insert nice boy and self-unaware super hot waifu saying one thing or another in between the fanservice scenes.

Ok, it wasn't that bad. I watched it because of a MAL friend's recommendation, and I finished it because the art delivers and the show is true to its purpose (waifu bait) while not being obnoxious. To be fair, the two MCs feel more like a couple than a lot of other romcom MCs, since they do hang out, share interests and get to know each other mutually in a good pace (Gojo being a total simp aside), and truly, the only reason they are not a couple is because the genre thrives on the confession.

Anyway, instead of making obnoxious or absurd characters, they played it extremely safe by making essentially non-people, but rather virtuous archetypes for a perfect relationship. The premise is fine, but you'll forget it soon enough, and the shows leaves no real message behind. There is nothing about it that's remarkable besides animation, and nothing about it that is hateful aside from how watered down it can be as an experience. But I don't particularly mind some chill entertainment here and there, so yeah, I gave it a high score since it accomplishes its goal.
Aug 8, 2022 7:24 PM

Aug 2020
It was for the titties. Last thread by some Robert guy proved so. Most people answered titties. Other people lied about "muh depth" or "muh MC is talented".
Keep scrolling
Aug 8, 2022 7:28 PM

May 2022
It’s a great romcom. Cloverworks generally does good work. It would have been great even without the fan service.
Aug 8, 2022 7:39 PM

Oct 2014
I liked the story, character, animation, and themes! Personally I think it is a pretty good anime and the hate is exaggerated, though understandable given how the fanservice undercuts the wholesome story.
Aug 8, 2022 7:49 PM
Jan 2022
just watched because i saw it and was like might as well.
didn't even look at the description.
Aug 8, 2022 7:58 PM
Jul 2018
I watched it because everyone was hyping it up. While I like the wholesome romance between the two leads, I disliked the fanservice and lack of character development for Marin. Plus she's 15 so it was weird for me to see her sexualized so much.
Aug 8, 2022 7:59 PM
May 2021
The plot summary sounded really cute and wholesome. I was not expecting any of the fan service when it first started, especially as much as it had, but was happy it also stayed a wholesome romance anime.
Aug 9, 2022 8:25 AM

Mar 2012
I watched it thinking it would be similar to Runway de Waratte, I was so wrong, couldn't really enjoy it.
Aug 9, 2022 8:58 AM

Jul 2017
I've seen enough to know it's cringe, disgusting, and one of the worst things to happen to anime.

If I caught my son watching shit like this, I would unironically disown him.
Aug 22, 2022 8:24 AM
Jul 2018
Crimsunreaper said:
I've seen enough to know it's cringe, disgusting, and one of the worst things to happen to anime.

If I caught my son watching shit like this, I would unironically disown him.

To be fair I'd do the same if I walked in on my son watching Mushoku Tensei lol.
Aug 22, 2022 8:45 AM

Jul 2009
I was bored, and honestly the show isnt that bad as people make it sound like.
Nothing in this world lasts forever, and it´s time you accept that.
It's better to not cling to these things that you will eventually lose.
Aug 22, 2022 8:52 AM

May 2019
One of the most popular seasonal shows at the time and a romcom with an interesting premise plus Marin looks like a hot gyaru. It's unfortunate that the show barely develops their relationship and just keep teasing its viewer with fanservice makes the show really boring to watch. The MC is kind but I find him too meek so that he could overreact to every single scene whenever he is with Marin and that's really annoying. None of the side cast is particularly interesting either.

Aug 22, 2022 8:54 AM
Aug 2020
I liked it because of the animation and the backgrounds
Aug 22, 2022 9:03 AM

Apr 2019
I've watched it because it's a top 20 title in the "2022 Spring Summer" top 10 on both anidb and MAL.

#8 on anidb: https://anidb.net/anime/?airdate.start=2022-%3F-%3F&noalias=1&orderby.name=1.1&orderby.rating=0.2
#11 on MAL: https://myanimelist.net/anime.php?cat=0&q=&type=0&score=0&status=0&p=0&r=0&sm=0&sd=0&sy=2022&em=0&ed=0&ey=0&c[0]=a&c[1]=b&c[2]=c&c[3]=f&o=3&w=1

Turned out to be an average, modern ecchi rom-com show with solid popcorn entertainment qualities. The animation is above average, so I've rated it respectively: 5.5/10.

Aug 22, 2022 9:08 AM

Oct 2018
I haven't seen it yet but the most appealing thing about this for me is that it's a Shota Umehara project.
Aug 22, 2022 9:11 AM

Jan 2022
I really like MC and heroin in this anime.
“Life is never boring, but some people choose to be bored.”

— Wayne Dyer
Aug 22, 2022 9:14 AM

Nov 2021
only for Marin, her cosplay and ....
Aug 22, 2022 9:25 AM

Dec 2019
Hype train. shit tokers overrated and overhyped the fuck out of it and now it's like a "modern classic" to them because they have zero sense of quality.
Aug 22, 2022 9:36 AM

May 2022
Hrybami said:
Well it's a romantic anime and I like romantic anime. Do I need to say more?

Fan service is not enough to get me to watch an entire series of anime. But the romance in Dress-Up Darling is 10/10, and the fan service is well done. So I'm all in.

I actually picked up this anime on a recommendation from Courtney on the Strictly Anime podcast. Her reviews are generally on target, so I try to watch any rom com she recommends.
Aug 22, 2022 11:51 AM

Aug 2017
Cuz it was super popular when it aired.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 22, 2022 12:01 PM

Sep 2019
Seemed like everyone was hyped about it, and the style seemed pretty good, so I tried it out. The girl seemed much different to what I imagined, in a positive manner, but not the most interesting to me personally. (:
Waiting for something to happen?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2022

394 by twzter »»
Apr 17, 1:29 PM

Poll: » Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Homura24 - Mar 26, 2022

483 by LeRaMtE »»
Apr 3, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2022

365 by LuffyHammock94 »»
Mar 21, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2022

242 by SonuItUp »»
Mar 20, 7:44 PM

» Is Marin fujoshi?

Sanjay63773 - Feb 29

13 by Gloozed »»
Mar 18, 9:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.