Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2022 3:51 AM

Aug 2018
90% recap with very minor scenes added in between. The anime ending is expanded a bit.

Little disappointed that we had to wait so long for basically 5 minutes of new content.
Sep 9, 2022 12:42 AM

Apr 2014
Hmm, well so much for the idea that this would reframe the show to follow the journey of the pen. That would've been nice, especially since I think there's still no official translation available for the audio dramas?
Sep 9, 2022 6:31 AM

Jan 2009
so its true only the last 5-7 minutes of the movie is new content lol

anyway glad to know Odakawa survives the murder attempt against him and the girl murderer was jailed
Sep 9, 2022 12:42 PM
Sep 2013
I can analyze this movie in 2 ways, as a solo product, "excluding the existence of anime" or in view of the anime's history.
To be more fair I will consider it as a separate project even though I was looking forward to seeing the movie hoping it would have more original content, but it only had about 8 minutes of original content.
So come on like I gave the anime an 8 there's no way I can give it less than that because it's basically the same story, and even taking the original content and treating it as a small 8 minute OVA that continues the story is a decent thing to do. do, did I expect more? I was hoping, considering that the movie is a ctrl+c ctrl+v of the anime, I could have spent a little more to animate at least 24 minutes there to close the story round instead of passing some slides as credits.
But the anime is very good, and maybe if there is someone who prefers to watch movies instead of 13 episodes of 24 minutes the movie will come in handy.

PT-BR

Eu posso fazer a analise desse filme de 2 forma, como um produto solo, “excluindo a existência do anime” ou tendo em vista a história do anime.
Para ser mais justo eu vou considerar como um projeto a parte mesmo eu tendo ficado ansioso para ver o filme esperando que tivesse mais conteúdo original, mas só teve uns 8 minutos de conteúdo original.
Então vamos lá como eu dei 8 para o anime não tem como eu dar menos que isso porque é basicamente a mesma história, e até mesmo pegar o conteúdo original e tratar como uma pequena OVA de 8 minutos que continua a história é algo descente de se fazer,eu esperava mais? Esperava, tendo em vista que o filme é um ctrl+c ctrl+v do anime, dava pra ter gasto um pouco mais para animar pelo menos uns 24 minutos ai para fechar a história redondinha na vez de passarem uns slides como créditos.
Mas o anime é muito bom,e talvez se existir alguém que prefere ver filmes na vez de 13 episódios de 24 minutos o filme vai vir a calhar.

Sep 9, 2022 9:00 PM

Jul 2011
Fake Mitsuya got just go attempt murder and assault. She still got away with murder.

Good to know that Ichimura is friend with the group in the end.
Sep 9, 2022 10:40 PM
May 2020
Even though this is mostly a recap its still better than most of the stuff that came out this year!
Sep 10, 2022 2:28 AM
Jul 2008
Sep 10, 2022 5:11 AM
Jul 2020
This was absolutely awful. A movie that's longer than 2 hours but still adds practically nothing. It's literally only recaps of the series and explanations of character motives and a bit of what actually happened in the story, something that is ok on it's own but down right terrible with recaps. The last part of the movie actually was insanely tense and well done, even though odd taxi never should have been continued either way. Then it's another cliffhanger and a garbage ending of the movie. Complete waste of time and pointless. I can't consider this movie canon at all.
Sep 10, 2022 6:28 AM
Aug 2020
Funnily enough, this movie still added more to the story than what the Anohana and Assassination Classroom movies did. Recap movies are pointless, period. I've seen the anime and even I thought it was hard to follow the plot with all those narrations.

Edit: Wow, they even made fun of the fact that it made no sense for Alpaca girl to be at the junkyard that night, haha.
Storm1988Sep 10, 2022 7:27 AM
Sep 10, 2022 8:43 AM
Jan 2020
People are expecting way too much for a recap movie lmao, they're pretty much just quick cashgrabs
Sep 10, 2022 10:14 AM

Aug 2018
The ending was a perfect way to close it... the problem is that well, the rest... it's a 2 hour recap. Just watch the last 15 minutes and you are fine. Or wait more time, watching a recap so soon is boring and the show is too fresh. I hate cliffhangers, so this end is really apreciated. Making an OVA for the ending or 2 recap movies with new scenes + true ending would've been perfect, but well, this is enough imo.
Sep 10, 2022 2:48 PM
Dec 2020
lol

(min character limit)
some people...
Sep 10, 2022 8:49 PM

Mar 2020
Odd Taxi was a 10/10 for me, so the way they changed the cliffhanger ending was just not right for me. Otherwise, just a recap. If you haven't watched Odd Taxi yet, just watch the series, not the movie.
Sep 10, 2022 9:56 PM

Feb 2021
For a recap movie it wasn't bad, of course the best way to watch the series is still through the tv show.

I liked the idea of having the characters tell the story through interviews.
The ending was a pretty cliche happy ending, so it turned out the girl failed in murdering Odokawa, and so he got a happy ending with Shirakawa.
Tbh I just enjoyed experienced this show yet again and seeing a conclusive ending.

I heard there was talks about a season 2 if the movie did well, but I honestly can't see a continuation after this.
Sep 10, 2022 10:22 PM

Oct 2016
Basically the problem with this is presentation. The recap is pporly presented, just play it straight instead of making it like the characters are talking to the audience while confusing them where each testimony is supposed to fit chronologically in the story. There's also the new content and finale which aren't bad but felt like they could've been added on the final episode by just making it longer, or even a new episode. It could also have been expanded so they wouldn't have to do this cut making the resolution in the car feel lazy. All in all, just a weak cashgrab movie.
CaptainKenshiroSep 10, 2022 10:36 PM
Sep 11, 2022 9:44 PM

Sep 2009
People are super cringy here. Yeah, it was a bit disappointing how fast they resolved the remaining plotline. And it is a bit of a pity that most of the epilogue was shown as credit stills.

But I liked the whole style how the recap part was made and it still added a bit to the story. For example, they added a bit of context to why characters got to their decisions during the scene with Odokawas taxi falling in the river (in the TV it just looked stupid out of contewxt). So I don't get the whole criticizm.

Sep 12, 2022 9:16 AM

Sep 2018
I understand that those who paid for a ticket to watch it at a theatre, maybe also expecting a lot of new scenes, were deeply disappointed.

I watched it at home knowing it was almost entirely a recap and I liked it, despite being inferior to the main series: Odd Taxi's best trait is the witty small talk and that had to be cut out to fit the movie runtime. 7/10 is the score I usually give to recap episodes of anime I rated 9-10/10, since I do enjoy them more than a 6/10.
Sep 13, 2022 1:29 AM

Apr 2020
I just saw the expanded ending and enjoyed it but I'm just giving it the average 5/10 since the rest is just a recap/worse version of the anime.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Sep 13, 2022 9:45 AM
Aug 2013
S0UVIK said:
90% recap with very minor scenes added in between. The anime ending is expanded a bit.

Little disappointed that we had to wait so long for basically 5 minutes of new content.

They didn't even show how she got arrested .. that was disappointing ! I wasted my time ..
Sep 16, 2022 12:08 AM

Sep 2021
Done watching.

I get that majority of the movie was a recap but I think it's necessary for people who didn't watched the series. If new scenes are just the content of the movie, it would be very hard to understand the previous events due to it's very eccentric and very seinen-ish writing.

Nevertheless, I also got bored in the recapping but excited on the new content. I thought the story would be still hanging because of the attempted murder of the girl until it was shown in the credits what happened after.

I think that the interviews of each cast on the restaurant was not needed.

Thanks to the staff for this story. đź‘Ť
Sep 19, 2022 12:31 PM
Aug 2017
Ugh, this was a really shameless con job. I mean at least those of us here in the west only got cheated out of our time, waiting however long it was for the release, but I really feel for whoever actually paid to see this in theatres in Japan. As a recap it's actually fairly decent, adding in some new wraparound scenes and framing the main plot beats as being narrated by a non-Odokawa character important to that event. But lets face it, 99.99% of people were watching this to follow up on the series' cliffhanger ending, not to see the recap part, even if you knew it was gonna be largely recap, which I did thankfully. And what you get is like 3 minutes of new footage that still ends on the same cliffhanger again, another couple of minutes of random slice-of-life footage that leaves you hanging, then finally the actual resolution through a few minutes of stills. They could've easily just fitted that in the last episode of the show's end credits.
Sep 22, 2022 4:04 AM
May 2020
Mais da metade do filme se trata de uma recapitulação da obra em si e o avanço dela se dá apenas nos ultimos minutos do filme o que o torna um bom meio de revisitar a obra, mas não atinge as expectativas com as quais se comprometia
Oct 8, 2022 1:34 PM

May 2015
bro wtf
it's not even 10 minutes, more like 3 minutes of animations and 3 minutes of still pictures
they could have fit that in the original tv show

FOR ANYONE WHO HAVEN'T WATCH IT YET, DONT DO IT JUST SKIP TO THE END
Nov 1, 2022 10:35 PM
Oct 2009
tief-blau said:

Interestingly, the bar owner is seen at the hospital in the credits for no apparent reason.
Dec 1, 2022 9:34 PM

Jan 2011
As a recap I felt it didn't really manage to capture much of the fantastic atmosphere from the series and the interviews were pretty lame, but was still nice to revisit this. Wasn't expecting substantial new content, but yeah, really would have preferred that it was just in the series itself, or even a just a small extra special. I did like that extra content, and it's nice to see the psycho get caught, although I did like the ambiguity/the adventure continues vibe the series left off at too. Oh yeah, and we got a reason why Wadagaki planted the phone for Tanaka. I think that the only big burning question that was left over.
Jan 16, 2023 10:43 PM
Dec 2022
The end was confusein
Jan 28, 2023 2:29 AM

Sep 2009
I say this because I care. It's a goddamn travesty.

I get they at least tried to play it off as a documentary-esque retelling but even then it's flat. There's no narrator, no new scenes, and we aren't even given a clear timeline as to when this takes place (appears to be towards the end of the series and onwards?). This is what happens when people cry over not having a bow on their expensive present. Avoid this shit. Just stick to the mystique of the original.
Feb 22, 2023 8:31 AM
Jan 2021
This is a RECAP. Synopsis is straight up lie. THE OG Anime ending was good, an open interpretation.
Mar 11, 2023 12:08 PM

Jan 2020
Well, skip instantly to the last 10 minutes and its you get new content and quite important ending, imo
...but yeah.
Not only they have hidden the full ending behind a recap - they also haven't animated it properly( Thats when they found the time to animate some bonus pointless animal talking through the recap.
Nonetheless, it's nice that at least in this form the ending exists. Some people simingly like vague left-open ending (but why?), yet I would prefer the story finished properly
I is a apsolute ekspert on inglish languge, and I newer make mistackes!
Newer ewer!
Apr 20, 2023 1:38 PM

Jun 2010
Pretty cheap of the TV series to end on a cliffhanger and then blow the movie almost entirely on recap. What a cash-grab. They don't even give voices to the interviewers, which would be new characters. Even the private investigators I think were recycled character designs from the hostess club scenes. The whole thing is quite lazy. Even the resolution of that cliffhanger isn't very interesting and the rest is just sugar (that sometimes dosn't make sense; why is Ichimura partying along with anyone else there?).

This recap cuts the Homosapiens duo almost entirely out of the story, which just proves how irrelevent they are...and yet it still spends time showing them doing the last round of the comedy contest and arguing over dissolving the partnership.

Pylgrim said:
tief-blau said:

Interestingly, the bar owner is seen at the hospital in the credits for no apparent reason.

She was attacked in the last of the audio drama extras, which are apparently considered to be an integral part of the story. The "pen of happiness" is only explained in those and that explains why Wadagaki get arrested; she was actually being recorded when she attacked Oddkawa.
Apr 23, 2023 3:10 AM
Oct 2009
Damn. Insane that they left all that outside of the movie.
Jun 15, 2023 9:37 AM

Feb 2020
I want a complete ending...but not in form of power point presentation. They extend the conversation with the killer, couldn't they just give us the ending there....why go same status quo and PPT ending.

Also who saved odakawa....one of the pic of that police ceremony was so blurry...i have no idea what was that. Is younger police brother getting awarded?

Also attempted murder! Wtf! Are they gone still blame rui?
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jul 30, 2023 6:48 AM

Jan 2013
Hmm if all they wanted was to properly conclude the interaction between Odokawa and Wadagaki they could've just added it to the final episode.
The movie didn't do much other than change the perspective of how it's presented to us, that being Odokawa explaining it to the police.

Adampk said:

Nah in one of the later end credit pictures Rui is seen having a picnic with Odokawa, Shirakawa et, I reckon they let her go, especially after arresting Wadagaki, their manager and the other two.
PrOxAntoJul 30, 2023 6:52 AM
Jul 30, 2023 6:58 AM

Feb 2020
PrOxAnto said:
Hmm if all they wanted was to properly conclude the interaction between Odokawa and Wadagaki they could've just added it to the final episode.
The movie didn't do much other than change the perspective of how it's presented to us, that being Odokawa explaining it to the police.

Adampk said:

Nah in one of the later end credit pictures Rui is seen having a picnic with Odokawa, Shirakawa et, I reckon they let her go, especially after arresting Wadagaki, their manager and the other two.
That was not rui. The girl seen in the picnic was shiho (the girl who was doing the badger game and tricked odakawa's monkey friend)
AdampkJul 30, 2023 7:03 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jul 30, 2023 7:09 AM

Jan 2013
Adampk said:
PrOxAnto said:

That was not rui. The girl seen in the picnic was shiho (the girl who was doing the badger game and tricked odakawa's monkey friend)

Whoops yep, I mixed up the names, I just noticed myself before seeing your response lmao.
Hmm, I would like to believe she'd be let go since they have the actual killer and people that covered it up but I guess we'll never know.

More topics from this board

» ending thoughts?

Ubada03 - Apr 5, 2023

7 by Ubada03 »»
Apr 7, 2023 2:49 AM

» Walrus should had got eaten by the Cat

Dragevard - Sep 16, 2022

3 by superstaff »»
Oct 4, 2022 8:29 PM

» New scenes time stamps?

Vertinka - Sep 13, 2022

3 by dingdong42564 »»
Sep 16, 2022 3:13 PM

» available September 8 on CrunchyRoll

deg - Aug 30, 2022

8 by MadanielFL »»
Sep 8, 2022 9:05 PM

» How much of a recap is this going to be?

Mtsh_dayo - Jan 17, 2022

9 by LERAGEUXENAMARRE »»
Aug 8, 2022 2:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.