Forum Settings
Forums

MAL Rewrite: 5,000 Milestone + Writers, Editors Needed

New
Apr 25, 2022 9:34 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Rewriting one crummy synopsis at a time.

5,040+ synopses uploaded, and counting!

What is MAL Rewrite?
MAL Rewrite is a project tasked with the goal of rewriting all anime and manga synopses in our databases. Yes, all. We think that trustworthy, well-written synopses by the community for the community is one important factor when deciding what to watch/read. Towards this goal, we hold two recruitment drives per year to recruit users who are also passionate about synopses, and want to give a little of their time to MAL in a productive way.

How do I get involved?
Interested in volunteering? MAL Rewrite is currently looking for:
  • Writers: Users who have an aptitude and passion for writing and producing superior content. English does not have to be your native language. It's preferable that you've watched/read the series you're writing about.

• Editors: Users who possess excellent grammar skills and are proofreading ninjas with a keen eye for detail and accuracy. English does not have to be your native language. All editors must be good writers (and you can still write synopsis as an editor, too!).

Ready to participate?
Submit the MAL Rewrite Application Form. We will evaluate your writing and/or editing skills, and if we find that you meet our requirements, you will be invited to join the club. Please note that MAL Rewrite is always recruiting. There is no deadline.

We look forward to your submissions :)
Apr 25, 2022 9:52 AM
Discord Moderator
Nov 2015
JOIN JOIN JOIN !!! :D
Apr 25, 2022 9:55 AM

Jun 2020
5k.. incredible!

『歌』
◁  ❚❚  ▷
‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
Apr 25, 2022 12:42 PM

Jan 2021
Please rewrite or improve mal's app too. Thanks.
Roxy

Apr 25, 2022 1:33 PM

May 2021
Respect for y'all who create excellent synopsises. Thank you for your hard work!!!

I had thought about joining but I'm not that confident in writing long texts though...
I'll probably continue writing recommendations unless I change my mind.

Pls don't write animeS or mangaS >.< // + <50 man(g/hw/hu)a not in MAL. // Join my >manga club< here!

Apr 25, 2022 1:37 PM

Sep 2021
wouldve applied if i wasnt lazy asf
hgwnejmp.ädqwsd
Apr 25, 2022 2:06 PM

Apr 2017
Somewhat related question: Are there plans to create a new editor for MAL in the not so far future? It can get quite annoying when I try to fix a small typo in a synopsis and then basically have to copy the old text completely before fixing what I wanted to fix. Just having the text in the editor window the same way it is for the character information should (hopefully) not be that hard to add.

Also, adding on to this, but having it more as a really nice to have feature: An active editor basically everywhere where BBCode is active. I know a lot of people know how to use it and it's not hard to learn if you don't, but having something that can mark text I have highlighted as bold with a single click would be really cool to have. Combined with keyboard shortcuts, this could really enhance writing texts, be it in the forums or somewhere in the database.
Apr 25, 2022 2:34 PM

Aug 2018
Applied before but got rejected :( might do it another time if I am less busy though
_______I like rocks__
Apr 25, 2022 3:28 PM

Aug 2017
RobbiRobb said:
Somewhat related question: Are there plans to create a new editor for MAL in the not so far future? It can get quite annoying when I try to fix a small typo in a synopsis and then basically have to copy the old text completely before fixing what I wanted to fix. Just having the text in the editor window the same way it is for the character information should (hopefully) not be that hard to add.

Also, adding on to this, but having it more as a really nice to have feature: An active editor basically everywhere where BBCode is active. I know a lot of people know how to use it and it's not hard to learn if you don't, but having something that can mark text I have highlighted as bold with a single click would be really cool to have. Combined with keyboard shortcuts, this could really enhance writing texts, be it in the forums or somewhere in the database.
I use an userscript for this: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1847959

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Apr 25, 2022 3:39 PM

Feb 2019
Apr 25, 2022 3:48 PM

Apr 2017
Remocracy said:
RobbiRobb said:

I use an userscript for this: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1847959

Looks fancy. I'll consider using it. However a native solution would probably be cleaner. Thank you anyways!
Apr 25, 2022 6:44 PM
Jan 2022
slay!!!!
Apr 25, 2022 8:55 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Everyone join!!! :D
It's a whole lot of fun and an amazing way to contribute to the MAL database :)
Apr 26, 2022 3:54 PM

Jun 2019
I should encourage people to join, but having exactly 100 members is too pretty...

kyoyatempest said:
Please rewrite or improve mal's app too. Thanks.

What are your concerns exactly? How do you expect that our beloved administrators solve the—possible—issues if you cannot provide further details?

RaviDavi said:
Respect for y'all who create excellent synopsises. Thank you for your hard work!!!

I had thought about joining but I'm not that confident in writing long texts though...
I'll probably continue writing recommendations unless I change my mind.

Synopsis are 150 words long on average though.
Apr 26, 2022 10:32 PM
No.1 Rias Lover

Feb 2021
Gotta get to this soon ..... Man procrastination stings
Apr 27, 2022 3:46 AM

Apr 2020
Wow 5000! :D
I just want to congratulate the people who have contributed
Apr 27, 2022 9:46 AM

Oct 2019
Congrats on getting 5k!
Apr 27, 2022 11:24 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I love the current synopses and always found them immensely helpful...
But i rather would have MAL fill up characters' bio and descriptions... instead of fixing something which is not broken..

Apr 27, 2022 12:48 PM

Dec 2021
Wow 5K? So incredible..

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Riley Dragneel | Discord: @_vulcann
Apr 27, 2022 2:51 PM

Jun 2019
ryo-san said:
I love the current synopses and always found them immensely helpful...
But i rather would have MAL fill up characters' bio and descriptions... instead of fixing something which is not broken..

Don't worry, the CIA has enough resources to write anime synopses and add characters' biographies. You should not believe that those tasks are mutually exclusive for they are for the most part performed by agents of different sections.

Coolest1234D said:

It only takes a click!... Procrastination is not a good enough excuse!
Apr 27, 2022 2:58 PM
serial obsessive

Jan 2012
Atlos said:
Applied before but got rejected :( might do it another time if I am less busy though

Don't forget to ask for feedback from your first application if you didn't do so before. Good luck on your reapplication if or when you decide to do it. 🙂
Forever a reader, rarely a watcher. Also listens to music.

⸢There are three ways to survive in a ruined world.⸥
⸢I’ve forgotten a few by now. However, one thing’s for certain.⸥
⸢And that is, the you reading these words will get to survive.⸥
⸢This story is for just that one reader.⸥
Apr 27, 2022 6:20 PM
No.1 Rias Lover

Feb 2021
Coolest1234D said:

It only takes a click!... Procrastination is not a good enough excuse!

You do need to fill out the form with meticulous precision...
Apr 27, 2022 6:45 PM

Nov 2019
Apr 27, 2022 9:19 PM

Sep 2019
Hope to see some new faces on the tracker :) I've been with rewrite for almost two years now and it has been a wonderful experience! Highly encourage everyone to give it a shot.
Apr 27, 2022 11:55 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I need to be a more active member lolol, but yeah please join the dark side!!

Apr 28, 2022 6:28 AM

Jul 2020
Join us!!! <3
no
Apr 28, 2022 7:09 AM
Feb 2022
It's probably been asked but I didn't see it in my scroll.

What's the workload/expectation/deadlines for rewrites?

Just want to go in with eyes open and not over-commit and have to back out.
Pls pass me more coffee...
Apr 28, 2022 7:09 AM
Feb 2022

Apr 28, 2022 7:40 AM
Anime Moderator
Ace Pilot

Dec 2015
Zorkary said:

Hi Zorkary!

We ask new writers to write one synopsis in their first month and new editors to edit twice. After that, there is no expected deadline or quota for you to typically hit. You can write or edit as often as you want! The only rule is to take care of a job you claim in about two weeks, but we are flexible with that deadline as well. Every year or so we have a month where we ask writers and editors to participate as a way of gauging who is actually involved, but that is the only "quota" after the first month.

Thanks for your question, and I hope to see you apply!
Red-CometApr 28, 2022 7:43 AM
Apr 28, 2022 7:44 AM
Feb 2022
Red-Comet said:
Zorkary said:

Hi Zorkary!

We ask new writers to write one synopsis in their first month and new editors to edit twice. After that, there is no expected deadline or quota for you to typically hit. You can write or edit as often as you want! The only rule is to take care of a job you claim in about two weeks, but we are flexible with that deadline as well.

awesome! thanks for the answer, tbh I probably will

based on what you said its kind of a "accept a job and then get it done" sort of deal with you being able to accept as many or as little as you would like?
Apr 28, 2022 1:03 PM
Anime Moderator
Ace Pilot

Dec 2015
Zorkary said:
Red-Comet said:

Hi Zorkary!

We ask new writers to write one synopsis in their first month and new editors to edit twice. After that, there is no expected deadline or quota for you to typically hit. You can write or edit as often as you want! The only rule is to take care of a job you claim in about two weeks, but we are flexible with that deadline as well.

awesome! thanks for the answer, tbh I probably will

based on what you said its kind of a "accept a job and then get it done" sort of deal with you being able to accept as many or as little as you would like?

We ask that you only take on one synopsis at a time, but there is no limit! Feel free to hit me up with any more questions. :)
Apr 29, 2022 12:27 AM
Aug 2021
Congratulations on getting 5K+ ┌(・。・)┘
Apr 30, 2022 1:15 PM

May 2021
Oh well looks like I did fill in the application form. My tenses in the synopsis I wrote probably are messed up somewhat so bear with me :')

Pls don't write animeS or mangaS >.< // + <50 man(g/hw/hu)a not in MAL. // Join my >manga club< here!

Apr 30, 2022 11:12 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Just want to say you all did a nice job with that 5k+ synopses, mal rewriters. Hope the quality still as good as i read, hold it up, and don't forget to reach even to the short one or even music because those two seems like not really spreaded out by mal rewrites. Appreciate all the works and see you again for the next accomplishment!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 3, 2022 8:13 AM
Oct 2020
Make some mascot for MAL please 🥺
May 7, 2022 5:45 AM
May 2022
Rewrite
May 7, 2022 9:25 PM

Jul 2017
MAL Rewrite has always been one of MAL's Golden Gifts, something that is always done superbly right when it comes to synopses, even better than general synopses.

Congrats on hitting 5k and more!
May 21, 2022 11:23 PM
May 2022
Hey! I applied for the MAL rewrite last week. Just wondering, how long before I can expect a reply? :)

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

231 by ParadiseSukai »»
May 6, 11:57 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.