Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2022 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
It was fine I guess. First episode serves more as an introductory of the cast, which I have mixed feelings about so far. However, I will say that the premise of having a male cast involved in horse racing isn't common these days so it's an interesting story setup.

Despite the lighthearted episode, it felt tense and there were not many moments for comedy. There are several guys to pay attention to but I really hope all of them get some form of character development.
Apr 2, 2022 8:00 AM

Jul 2017
So this is Uma Musume...gender-swapped with yet another sport of the season: jockey.

Studio Lay-duce is producing 2 idol-related series this season, so I'd expect this to be no different, but with the touch of director Makoto Katou that's famous for the Yuri series Yagate Kimi ni Naru a.k.a Bloom Into You.

As expected of any sport series, this is the spot for newcomers' time to shine, and this horse racing academy is prestigious at every level, everything needs attention that's specifically for Yu "Otonashi" Arimura being a former celebrity whom quit his idol job to join horse jockeying, got lost on his way to the academy, and only guided by the "beautiful" ghost of horses to the academy's back gate. The other newcomers are no slouches with names attached to them.

And when a mishap occurs and leaves horses running out from their stable, this is a chance for them to make the spotlight. But the way that Yu tries to stop the runaway horse, yelp, and that's where Shun Kazanami comes in to tame them easy and lend Yu a jockey's POV to rest the other runaway horse easy, despite not jockeying a horse before.

The OST by the famed SawanoHiroyuki with fairly new boy-band JO1, we'll know the effects as it comes along.
KANLen09Apr 2, 2022 9:29 AM
Apr 2, 2022 8:16 AM

Feb 2020
Interesting start. I'm definitely in.

Those yaoi vibes... xD

SerafosApr 2, 2022 11:46 AM
Apr 2, 2022 10:19 AM

Mar 2021
Would you look at that? Who would've thought this would be yaoi.
Apr 2, 2022 10:23 AM

Nov 2011
Yeah idk about this one. Ghost horses and listening to Nature. Making it seem more supernatural then Sports. We'll see how this goes. The animation of the horses went back and forth between bad CGI and good animation so yeah. Ill give it a few more episodes.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 2, 2022 12:06 PM
Sep 2015
I think it's time for sports anime to give me more than just yaoi vibe.
Apr 2, 2022 12:23 PM
Feb 2021
the first episode was super enjoyable! I can't wait to find out more of arimura's idol past. and I loved the romantic vibes ♡ no one would be complaining if arimura was a girl -.- also just cause there's romantic vibes between two guys doesn't mean something is yaoi. it just means there's romance...and it happens to be between two guys lmao
Apr 2, 2022 12:35 PM

Sep 2011
Why the hfil would you make an anime about horse racing.... if you're gonna CGI the horses for the vast majority of the run time. Like they aren't the worst CGI anime horses I've seen but they're still super ugly. This show lured me in with promises of Hiroyuki Sawano music and Natsuki Hanae as a main character and episode one had neither of those things. Hard pass
Apr 2, 2022 1:13 PM
Jul 2021
Great first episode
Apr 2, 2022 1:20 PM
Feb 2021
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
Why the hfil would you make an anime about horse racing.... if you're gonna CGI the horses for the vast majority of the run time. Like they aren't the worst CGI anime horses I've seen but they're still super ugly. This show lured me in with promises of Hiroyuki Sawano music and Natsuki Hanae as a main character and episode one had neither of those things. Hard pass

to be fair...shows about idols have most of their idol scenes in CGI. rather than how central the topic matter is it's more about the range of movement that has to be animated. and imo the CGI looked absolutely fine. and ofc you're not obligated to watch another episode but...I always think it's a shame when an anime is judged based solely on it's first episode. you miss a lot of great shows that way...and can think other shows seem great when really they just go downhill from there ◡̈
Apr 2, 2022 1:25 PM

Dec 2020
i didn't think i would like this anime, i thought this is gonna be one of those "meh" sports anime but the first episode was actually very enjoyable. i think it has potential.
Apr 2, 2022 1:54 PM

May 2009
Red_Ranger_Wien said:

Turns out animation of horses is done by Koei (game company) staff that does series Winning Post, horse racing simulation games series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_Post
Apr 2, 2022 1:55 PM

Sep 2011
lizekai said:
Red_Ranger_Wien said:

to be fair...shows about idols have most of their idol scenes in CGI. rather than how central the topic matter is it's more about the range of movement that has to be animated. and imo the CGI looked absolutely fine. and ofc you're not obligated to watch another episode but...I always think it's a shame when an anime is judged based solely on it's first episode. you miss a lot of great shows that way...and can think other shows seem great when really they just go downhill from there ◡̈

Tbf the CGI looks bad in a lot of those idol shows too. Anyways life is too short to watch every anime out there. I'm not saying this show is bad. Just that it didn't do enough to keep me interested.
Apr 2, 2022 2:09 PM

Jan 2019
who's idea was it to make this. i know it's an original, but this somehow gives off game adaption vibes
Apr 2, 2022 2:20 PM

Mar 2010
Without any pretext and judging just what i see, the celebrity thing was entirely stupid/not needed. Like it doesn't make the argument any more stronger if you just say what you want to do. But no, let's add pointless media people on the scene. Whatever. :D

I'll probably give few more episodes to see how it turns out.
Felt kinda weird but.. I'll accept it for now.
Apr 2, 2022 2:31 PM

May 2021
Great episode! Yu who was a former top idol in Japan quit his band to focus on his passion of becoming a jockey/horse racer. The media constantly took photos of him trying to ask him why he quit and they wouldn't get the hint xD.
Shun seems to be pretty good at horse riding and he and Yu captured the escaped horses despite it being Shun's first time riding!
Gave off some Yaoi feelings when Shun carried Yu like that lol.

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Apr 2, 2022 2:59 PM

May 2021
This was a pretty nice start. Yu's conflict over his supposed betrayal of his former band members did make it more interesting.

I wonder if that horse ghost was real. Also, ED was pretty good and hope we get more perspectives of the rider.

Apr 2, 2022 3:22 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
kinda mixed about that one but I'm still a tad interested to see where it's going so ill give it the 3 episodes rule
DatRandomDudeApr 2, 2022 3:25 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 2, 2022 4:45 PM

Aug 2020
Yu Akimura found youth in jockey. Episode 1 did not entertain me as much, but I'll keep an eye on it.

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Apr 2, 2022 5:35 PM

Apr 2009
This was alright? Not a fan of the 3D horses but eh. It was also good suddenly very gay in a couple of moments, the last one in particular was so soon and flashy it almost pulled me out of the experience lol Hopefully it gets gayer.

Apr 2, 2022 6:07 PM
Dec 2020
Potatoboy11 said:
Would you look at that? Who would've thought this would be yaoi.

seriously aha came out of nowhere
Apr 2, 2022 8:06 PM

Aug 2017
Serafos said:

Those yaoi vibes... xD

I was amazed of the turn of events but not bad, anticipating next episodes.

Apr 2, 2022 8:21 PM

Oct 2016
Better than I expected, I must say. I fully expected to be bored out of my mind with this one, but there's just enough here to hold my attention. I guess I'll see how long it lasts, hoping we'll get Arimura-san's reasoning for jockeying sooner rather than later. Show's pretty at least.
Trying out (almost) every anime that airs each season since 2018.
Apr 2, 2022 9:06 PM

Dec 2020
ohh another sports anime thatll probably have some lil fujobait thrown here and there. i feel like we're missing a certain character type. the cold, cool, lowkey mean but is just like that bc of some trauma/doesnt know how to make friends, bishounen. im sure we'll get to see him later tho lol

i dont really know much abt horses n shit but im pretty interested! ill also be staying for that girl chara <3 she seems p cool
Apr 2, 2022 9:44 PM
Mar 2022
why does every sports anime have to be fucking gay lol
Apr 2, 2022 10:45 PM

Apr 2020
The Ending Song was really good OMFG
Apr 3, 2022 12:31 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Ah ex idol joined horse racing school because why not, and he already found his forever living partner. Lel they try hard with the bait in the first episode. Good job lay-duce.

Though, the cg horse actually not so bad and i kinda like how colorful this episode is. Pretty much i am more interested to know detail about that big mom. Whats her deal? Also, hopefully that female jockey isn't just a mere side figure. Lets see if this can be an enjoyable sport show....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 3, 2022 6:51 AM

Mar 2016
I had been interested in this because of the art and animation. And the horse racing, which seemed new. But, watching this, I can't believe how good this is!!!

The art and animation are beautiful! Also, they used the art to heighten the story's power, and I love it! Recent anime seem to not take advantage of the art part of animation.

There is actually a non-sexualised girl, and so far, she doesn't seem like anyone's love interest. If she's important to the plot, then I hope she's a proper human who has her own individual arc that is not related to romance.

Arimura Yuu gripped my interest the moment the story started, and he didn't loosen his grip at all throughout the episode.

Mafuyu (Given) and Futaba (Bakuten) are here!! I am happy to hear their voices again!

Of course, this anime also has the classic sports-anime BL-ship moment. Except, this has the boldest one I have ever seen. Right in episode 1, a guy carried another guy, and they're blushing and the world is all beautiful. I love it!

I hope this anime continues to be beautiful, engaging and good. This episode was really nice, and I am happy I got to watch it. I needed something good in my shitty life.

Parts I didn't like as much, since I need to be honest when talking about things.
-Red haired guy. He was a bit annoying. Also, he seems like he might only bring cliched tension.
-The way the instructor spoke. It was a bit awkward.
Apr 3, 2022 6:57 AM

Mar 2016
AlexKomaeda said:
I didn't think I would like this anime, i thought this is gonna be one of those "meh" sports anime but the first episode was actually very enjoyable. i think it has potential.

Correct me if I am wrong, but your picture is Goth from Boyfriends, right?
Apr 3, 2022 8:37 AM

Oct 2008
without knowing, this got my attention because of the OST, and when i checked the Music, of course it was none other than Sawano. Sticking on this for sure!
5/5.

Apr 3, 2022 7:29 PM

Oct 2016
It's only the first episode and I already like Aki.
Apr 3, 2022 10:11 PM
Apr 2016
It's not bad. I enjoyed it. I'd give it a 7/10.

I love horses. So as much as I tried to lower my hopes and expectations, I still can't help but get excited over a horse racing anime. And it honestly wasn't that bad. I really only have one major complain for the first episode. But before that, here's what I like about it so far.

Shun. I love him already. I like his gentle and optimistic personality. Especially that scene where he calms down the horse and pets it. That's just so precious. As for the rest, I don't dislike any of them, and they've kept me interested enough.

The artsyle is also nice. There's more animation going on than I initially thought seeing as the trailers didn't show much. Despite some bad CG on the horses, it only happens on the unimportant scenes. Beside that, the animation was good so I'm quite happy with it.

I do find the story interesting. I'm curious to see how their training and their relationship with the horses go.

I'm sure the music will only get better as the series goes on.

Now the thing that I didn't like was the moment with Yuu and Shun. And that's coming from somone who loves BL.

I understand the fanservice, I do. With the expetion of Yuri on Ice(because their romance turned out to be real) pretty much every other sports anime is bound to have some fanservice-y moments. I like Free! And while I do find some scenes cringy, it still felt more natural than whatever happened with Yuu and Shun.

I'd be happy if they just went with the princess carry, without dramatising the scene with lingering gazes, soft pink lighting and sakura petals flying everywhere. I'll admit, the visual for that scene was beautiful but it just felt so out of place and completely unnecessary for me.

I can only hope it gets better from here because I genuinely want to like this anime.
Apr 4, 2022 5:47 AM

Feb 2019
Maybe it's a passable start for a comedy, but there is not a single humorous bone in this show's skeleton. It makes me think of an idol show more than anything with the silly costumes and brightly colored hair, except instead of a CGI concert, there's CGI horses stampeding around the campus. The boy band ED may also contribute to that impression though. Being bafflingly inane is better than another paint by numbers sports show, I suppose, but I am skeptical that's a selling point for most people, and this would literally be a filler episode in most other shows, even if they have to have a cat in a terrorists helmet and a giant pizza to make things spicy.
Apr 4, 2022 8:06 AM
Dec 2021
I'll give it a 2nd episode chance but as said by

TsunderesTheBest said:
why does every sports anime have to be fucking gay lol

I say not every sports Anime is like TsunderesTheBest said take it Ryman's Club Winter 2021 seasonal. Still airs for 2 more episodes but it is fucking wholesome as fuck. Siblings helping each other is always a plus for me since I can relate so much and rest of Crew being Bros is awesome.

With this one I was like ok it's not bad I kinda dig it but then this happend. It could be without it. Now I'll give it a 2nd episode watch but if someone can disapprove me that it's done for Gags and laughs with sources from author or relevant information then I'll give it 1-2 Eps more. Otherwise this is just for now another BL Anime under the mask of "Sports Anime".
Apr 4, 2022 8:36 AM

May 2019
My favourite thing about the first episode was that all the main characters seem like they've never so much seen a horse before, yet we're meant to buy into them all being up and coming jockeys. Alright then.

THE CGI HORSES, goodness gracious. I'm getting flashbacks for the many horse-themed PC games of my youth. I'm glad that not being able to animate horses to look anything but comical didn't stop them making a show about horses. That's some determination right there.

I'm sticking with it because it started to get gay at the end and that's really the main good thing you occasionally get out of sports anime.
Apr 5, 2022 3:32 AM
Dec 2020
Serafos said:

Those yaoi vibes... xD

NO CUZ I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING
Apr 6, 2022 4:37 PM
Mar 2019
A completely fine first episode... I was deathly scared of the horse CGI but after seeing them they are not that bad (still pretty bad), I put this show on my ptw mostly because of the GOAT Hiroyuki Sawano is doing the music so I hope there is gonna be a lot of it. The romantic vibes didn't really vibe with me and I hope they don't develop into a big plot point. I'll give this show at max 2 more episodes to hook me, for now a low 6.
Apr 7, 2022 4:51 PM

Oct 2018
It starts off decently with various characters and the snippets of info that is released during the conference. The drama in the middle, on the other hand, completely turned me off from this. Having Hiroyuki Sawano for an anime like this is so weird, the gay scene could have been improved with some soft tunes and Sawano is already an expert on various music with piano as the base but no, we get some generic epic war music. Production is very weak like most of the studio's other works and god I already hate the main character.
Apr 8, 2022 2:30 PM

Apr 2011
I didn't really know what to expect from this series but I thought this premiere was pretty good. I really like the character designs and didn't find the cgi horses to be that bad it's no Sailor Moon Crystal season one transformations.

I hope they continue to explore the relationship between Yu and Shun just because of all the riding innuendos we can make.
Apr 9, 2022 2:52 AM

Jul 2020
I never thought I'd see a couple of horse whisperers embrace each other in sakura pink gayness, caressed by music by the same guy who composed the music for Attack on Titan - yet here we are.
Apr 9, 2022 8:13 PM
Mar 2012
Excellent osts and a few pretty nice scenery shots.
The at times cg horses look better than those in isekais.
Solid production layduce. I dont quite follow sports shows tho.
Apr 10, 2022 10:21 PM

Aug 2019
I'm not familiar with horse racing, but for a first time rider, it's quite impressive.

I’m intrigued so I’ll keep watching to see how this goes
Apr 14, 2022 11:39 AM
Jul 2015
He got me every time! I did not know but Sakurai Takahiro is here. And he got to me every single time, Im sudely become the biggest fan girl and are in my 7 heaven ><, - he is just amazing *sparkle sparkle*

- overall 1 episode is mid. Just mid.
Apr 16, 2022 10:44 PM

Mar 2010
Wow. The writing for this is quite questionable. Becoming one with the horse lmao. Sakurai!!
May 4, 2022 11:40 PM

Dec 2016
That was a nice start.

It's like when Mafuyu joins a horse racing school after quitting Given XD

When Shun showed up I was already thinking Shun's design and the vibes he was giving off was kinda similar to Umibe no Étranger and right after that he caught Yuu the princess style I was like “OK I don't mind” XD

Yuu going that way after seeing the ghost horse...it's obvious that anyone would go that way instead of that haunted looking path.
May 9, 2022 8:10 AM
May 2019
Ah yes another fujobait anime Nope hard pass
May 25, 2022 3:29 PM

Aug 2021
... let's see how this horse sports anime is. It's one of the few spokon anime I watch.
Aug 8, 2022 12:10 PM

Jul 2016
Average start but I was honestly expecting something worse. Still wondering how they managed to involve Sawano in all this tho.
Oct 23, 2022 9:11 AM
Jan 2022
Horse racing boring
Dec 9, 2022 2:13 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
regular start!!

There is nothing that stands out in this beginning, although we will have to see how it evolves!!! kekeke
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gunjou no Fanfare Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2022

22 by kirakiradeths »»
Feb 25, 2023 6:18 PM

Poll: » Gunjou no Fanfare Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

23 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 25, 2022 11:38 AM

Poll: » Gunjou no Fanfare Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2022

16 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 25, 2022 11:25 AM

Poll: » Gunjou no Fanfare Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2022

13 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 22, 2022 10:09 PM

Poll: » Gunjou no Fanfare Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2022

23 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 22, 2022 1:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.