3It was OK
2.2%
2Disliked it
0.6%
1Hated it
0.8%
Average 4.8
714 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 8, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, a lot of Kanna scenes this episode since it's her vacation time. I like how the episode explores her character and curiousity of the outside world, beyond the walls of the classroom.

I was kinda surprised to see one of her friends being kidnapped literally in front of her. Yikes. I'd say this episode is the one that Kanna got the most on-screen time in the entire series. Good for her. She's a charming character that it's always entertaining to see her in the show imo.
Sep 8, 2021 8:28 AM

Jul 2017
Kanna's got her own argument with Kobayashi and ran away from home like a rebellious child...and ends up having her own adventures in New York! Yay, finally reaching this specific chapter, and indeed making this episode an almost bilingual one (if not for the translation).

Kanna being Hokuto no Ken's Kenshiro to allay her new found runaway blonde friend Chloe being chased by kidnappers working for the Mafia, and boy is she rich, like she has credit cards. Pouring her situation to Chloe, and not enough time before she gets kidnapped again. HAHA, Kanna's dragon self giving everyone a legit scare, and rescuing Chloe with the runaway sympathy. Of course, she made it home safe and sound, and the apology to Kobyayashi might have to wait another time.

It's just another day in the Summer break...and Kanna's doing her usual homework. Getting drenched by water on her homework is not good...just leave it out in the sun to dry. Aye Chloe wrote back to Kanna with the New York air mail, while Kobayashi and Kanna enjoy some Somen, watermelon and quality time together outside in the sweltering Summer heat (indulge in ice for that). Pretty apathetic to see ants at work while Kanna develops a research interest for sewage manhole covers of various designs (that's almost like a stamp collection style). Truly time well spent together, even under the weather.

Lovely episode though!
KANLen09Sep 8, 2021 9:54 AM
Sep 8, 2021 8:43 AM

Jun 2019
"Yay" (in Kanna's voice)

This is Kanna's episode. We got to see little Kanna wandering around and running away from home and ended up in New York where she made a new friend, Chloe and she's rich like Saikawa. They both played together a lot and then it's time to go back home but Chloe got kidnapped and Kanna decided to rescue her. Kanna is home but she needs to apologize to Kobayashi later.

More Kanna in the episode as we see Kanna and Kobayashi having some time off together with watermelon to eat on a sunny day. How much better the day can get? Just another cute episode with Kanna in it. Pure innocence and wholesomeness from Kanna. Such an adorable little character. ( ̄︶ ̄)
Sep 8, 2021 9:04 AM
Oct 2020
I'm going to ask Kanna a question about it.
Sep 8, 2021 9:16 AM

Apr 2016
Last week we had Elma focused episode and this week lol, Kanna's adventure time in New York. But when she realized its a different language i can't be the only one who thought this when Kanna was "learning" the language, LMAO.

Also will we ever see Kanna's true parents ? I always wanted to see them.
Sep 8, 2021 9:17 AM

Feb 2020
It was about time to give Kanna more screen time. This was absolutely cute and wholesome episode. All those interactions between her, Chloe, and Kobayashi were so heartwarming. :3

SerafosJan 9, 10:26 AM
Sep 8, 2021 9:25 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Kanna-centered episode, the 1st part in New York was at another level especially for the backgrounds, it's rare to see something that great in a slice of life wow... well good thing she ended up in New York or not in Afghanistan or even worse, Bondy. Really cute that she made a friend there, I hope that we'll get to see her in Japan
Sep 8, 2021 9:40 AM

Dec 2017
This is just so wholesome and relaxing to watch. Super enjoyable show
Sep 8, 2021 9:44 AM
May 2021
Yeah they’re watching anime
Sep 8, 2021 9:51 AM

May 2021
we need more chloe, imagine if she met saikawa while also being with kanna, she'd be so jealous lol

Sep 8, 2021 9:54 AM

Nov 2016
A fight with the family which lead to Kanna alone in New York where she bullied criminals, reminds me of something

Ok, she wasn't quite alone. There's Quloe, which would've made Saikawa hella jelous if she knew. Lol @ Tohru watching the whole time.

Fun episode as always.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 8, 2021 9:57 AM

May 2020
Kanna’s episode oh! Ame ame ame I love it next ep will be fire can’t wait
Fun Things Are Fun - Yui Hirasawa
Sep 8, 2021 9:58 AM

Jun 2021
Arguably the best animated episode

I know people rave about their action scenes (like the previous episode), but I think it's amazing how well they animated NYC. Even the smallest details are drawn (like Tohru in the background) and the atmosphere they build just from the animation is simply amazing. Not to mention, they probably did all of this without actually visiting NYC.

Kanna sounded amazing as always and the overall moral of the story was very nice. If I were to be nitpicky, the story felt a little rushed, but again, it was a great episode.
Sep 8, 2021 10:03 AM
May 2021
Today’s episode made me adore kanna even more it was so cute and wholesome
Sep 8, 2021 10:04 AM

Nov 2020
Instant happiness 8)
Sep 8, 2021 10:08 AM

Oct 2017
Kanna went to america lmao but that turned into a good short adventure and Kanna even made a new friend, Chloe. Second half with Kanna and Kobayashi was sweet. Really loved this episode, more Kanna is always great.
Sep 8, 2021 10:08 AM

Dec 2020
The whole episode about kanna that’s so nice this was wholesome with kobayashi they spent the day together and she was in new york why not she meet a new friend chloe nice.

So next episode i see tohru father im hype.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Sep 8, 2021 10:35 AM
Oct 2020
Kyoani portrayed New York very well, even though I'm not from the US lol 🤣.
Sep 8, 2021 10:37 AM
Feb 2021
BASED KANNA EPISODE!

Tbh, Kanna is one of the least interesting characters to me, aside from the fact that I LOVE that she has such a plain voice no matter what emotion shes feeling I've always found Kanna to be a bit boring...

But this episode changed that opinion COMPLETELY! She was an absolutely amazing character in this episode, this was a joy to watch.

I also really like Chloe as a character, I hope we'll see her again sometime (even though we probably wont)

5/5 episode!

next weeks episode already looks great! We're seeing the return of Thoru's dad, I'm looking forward to it!

(Also, that one scene where Kanna spills her drink on the paper had GENIUS animation! GGs KyoAni)
P1X3L_Sep 8, 2021 10:41 AM
Sep 8, 2021 10:40 AM
Oct 2020
she tries hard enough to hide from Saikawa (her best friend) that she is a dragon but with Chloe, a girl she met in one day, she had no problem revealing it, even if she has the pretense of kidnapping, it doesn't very meaningless in my opinion. I think this is unfair to Saikawa.
Sep 8, 2021 10:41 AM

Jul 2019
Yeah, losing a place where you can always return even if you are wrong is very scary. Good for you, Chloe, to learn it through a long magical day with a dragon.

Man, the frame with sad Kanna near Statue of Liberty made me sad too. Also I haven't seen Tohru up until she revealed that she was always around Kanna, damn you, defocused mind.

Not much to say about the second part, just an ordinary day with some cool moments for Kanna and Kobayashi. Goodbye summer, looking forward to our next meeting.

Feb 2014
Kanna-centric episodes always get an instant thumbs-up from me and this episode is definitely no exception to that run of form for me!

Kanna running away from home after getting into an argument with Kobayashi was one thing, but to end up in New York of all places was a surprise. It didn't take long for her to get used to the new language and she ended up helping out a blonde young girl, Chloe. The two of them had a lovely little adventure in the big city, where the attention to detail of the city looked great.

However, the kidnappers from earlier were able to snatch Chloe again, which left Kanna rather pissed off. The way she saved Chloe with her dragon form was hilarious, though! XD

The second half of the episode was a wholesome adventure with Kobayashi (which started off badly after she spilt tea over her book. Her reactions to it was really funny!), which led them all over their neighbourhood. This segment really hits home the "slice-of-life" tag that this series is about and it nails it perfectly.

We also got the return of Kanna singing "Ame ame" in the rain, which was a big highlight for me in this episode. ^_^

The preview for the next episode looks rather tense and dramatic, though.

Oct 2008
Same energy:

I can feel the memes coming.
Sep 8, 2021 10:43 AM
Feb 2021
Actar said:
Same energy:

I can feel the memes coming.

Lmao! This is so good! >_<
Sep 8, 2021 10:55 AM
Oct 2020
Mare404 said:
Kanna’s episode oh! Ame ame ame I love it next ep will be fire can’t wait
I'm already seeing compiled of this on youtube 😅.
Sep 8, 2021 10:56 AM

Sep 2011
I loved this episode because it was dedicated exclusively to Kanna :D She is the best chara of this anime IMHO. Chloe looks like Riko, except for blonde hair lol The second part of the episode was great with Kanna and Kobayashi.

Sep 8, 2021 10:57 AM

Oct 2008
FMmatron said:
A fight with the family which lead to Kanna alone in New York where she bullied criminals, reminds me of something

Coincidence? Hm...

Sep 8, 2021 10:59 AM

Feb 2017
kanna episode kanna episode kanna episode!!!! i need more wholesome kanna content in my life

didn't even spot tohru in the background in ny, had to go back and look lol

hopefully we get more kanna and chloe adventures!!!!

placeholder text
Sep 8, 2021 11:04 AM

Apr 2020
Dam a Kanna episode, wasn’t expecting that but who cares I absolutely love this episode. I really love when Kanna went to New York and made a friend there, it was so sweet and wholesome to watch. At the end when Kanna was saving her friend from the kidnappers and finding out that she ran away from home, that scene was so great that I felt kinda emotional while watching it. The scene with Kobayashi and Kanna hanging out like mother and daughter, I absolutely loved it, and the scene at the end with the rain was just too sweet. Been awhile since I really enjoyed anime episode (and also been awhile since I’ve wrote a paragraph on Mal) but this episode is just gorgeous and really wholesome to watch. Maybe I’m a bit biased because Kanna is one of my favourite character from the series, but I don’t really care, all I care about is that this episode is just so gorgeous. Really love you Kyoto Ani, hopefully you’ll make another new anime in the future. I’m excited for the next episode!
Nina supporter for life💕
Sep 8, 2021 11:05 AM
Jul 2018
Rick roll graffiti, very clever KyoAni

Very wholesome episode. The fact that they actually got the VA's to speak English for certain lines is cool as well
removed-userSep 8, 2021 11:54 AM
Sep 8, 2021 11:13 AM

Apr 2018
Kanna ends up running away from home after a fight with Kobayashi. Adorable when she said ''butthead'' and ran away. Adorable dragon right there. Flew all the way to New York, learned the language in a milisecond and saved a kid from kidnappers. Even made a new friend right there, Chloe. And the last conversation felt like something adults would say to each other and not kids but hey, Kanna's an intelligent dragon. I seriously liked the effects and the coloring which was lively as hell. The transformation when Chloe got kidnapped was just insanely beautiful. And bam, Kanna beat them down in a single second and saved Chloe.

Well, It's time to depart and go back home. A second adventure starts right away. It's time to research manholes. Which was pretty fun, suprised me. Kanna singing a mean song about the rain was adorable. ''Let's go home'', those were the words that Kanna wanted to hear.

Tohru was watching Kanna all the time, I knew that there was someone close to her in the beginning but couldn't spot it xD

Seems like next episode will be a bit more serious and action packed.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 8, 2021 11:13 AM

Nov 2016
Actar said:
FMmatron said:

Coincidence? Hm...

The Plaza is a classic.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 8, 2021 11:23 AM
Oct 2020
prepare the memes with Home Alone 2 and far from Home for Kanna in New York 😅.
Sep 8, 2021 11:28 AM

Apr 2020
The guy at the hotdog stand had pretty good English, but he sounded Australian 🤣
Sep 8, 2021 11:31 AM

Nov 2017
This episode was so heartwarming :3 and the best scene of course was
Stay gold!
魔法よ魔法よ生まれておいで!
Sasuga Kasuga! Osaka fan club on MAL. Join us if you like Osaka-san!
Sep 8, 2021 11:34 AM

Jul 2011
Best episode, Tohru appearance at minimum(which is already wonderful by itself), Kanna find a decent friend, wonderful NYC scenic tour, and heartwarming city walk on summer.
Sep 8, 2021 11:50 AM

Apr 2014
This episode was Kanna's time to shine, she went on an adventure in New York, saved and befriend a cute girl and later on went on a walk with Kobayashi. A lot of funny scenes, the buying loli meme (always forgetting how it's named) and the Home Alone 2 references were priceless.
Sep 8, 2021 12:49 PM

May 2021
Amazing episode! Kanna’s friend kidnapped right in front of her face which was quite a disturbing scene. Hope we see more of Chloe also. It was nice to have a full Kanna episode. Kanna destroyed them guys in a few seconds xD. Looking forward to the next episode.
AISHITERU...REM!
Sep 8, 2021 1:02 PM

May 2020
A Kanna focused episode this week, she ran away from home and landed right in New York, and befriended a girl there, quite an adventure that was for Kanna.
And from the preview of next week looks like we will again have some tension between Tooru and her father.
Softhenic03Dec 4, 2021 2:37 AM
Sep 8, 2021 1:05 PM

Apr 2018
I love the fact that you could play "where is Tohru" in the New York bit.

I don't care too much for slice of life, but for some reason this episode felt really nice. Best episode so far I'd say.
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Sep 8, 2021 1:25 PM

Jul 2015
At least we did not had to see any antifa protest.

Sep 8, 2021 1:28 PM

Apr 2012
The mini "Where's Tohru" game caught me off guard. Episode was 10/10 for its wholesomness.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Sep 8, 2021 1:32 PM

Jul 2014
Finally, a Kanna-centric episode without Saikawa. It makes a real nice change of pace for Kanna to get some screentime without Saikawa attached to her at the hip and "squeeing" every 30 seconds (that's always been my least favourite aspect of Dragon Maid as a series). A fun journey in New York with Chloe, as well as the bold move Kanna took to reveal her dragon form to someone.

I suppose we also now have an explanation as to how and why the dragons are all able to understand Japanese when they come from another world entirely.

Probably my favourite episode of season 2 so far.
Sep 8, 2021 2:13 PM

Apr 2020
Straw hat kanna lol
A different episode that shows kanna as a main character
Sep 8, 2021 2:45 PM

Apr 2015
The episodes just don't get more wholesome than this. Perfection.

Kanna's trip in NYC was great, I love how she can adapt to any kind of language within minutes. Also loving the new addition as Chloe, which Kanna allowed to learn that she actually is a dragon. Now before this season ends, we need that Chloe to come play with Kanna after she picks Chloe up from Minnesota.

Love it that Tohru watched everything Kanna did.

Kanna's little adventure was also incredibly wholesome. Was nice to see them get along so well again after the fight and Kanna running away.
Sep 8, 2021 3:16 PM
Oct 2019
As someone from Minnesota, the Minnesota reference made this episode an instant favorite.
Sep 8, 2021 3:20 PM
Jul 2020
The episode I have been waiting for. A Kanna episode without Saikawa. Loved the character development and fun adventure to the US. Also, Kobayashi's shirt made me laugh "mean."
Sep 8, 2021 3:22 PM

Oct 2011
full Kanna episode... the world is a better place now
Sep 8, 2021 3:24 PM

Jun 2016
I rewatched the 1st segment to check if Tohru was really there... XD
Sep 8, 2021 4:05 PM
Jul 2018
Kanna in new york running away from home she was on the other side of the world plus there was fun moments of her in the episode.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon S Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2021

176 by SiMura8723 »»
Mar 29, 8:27 AM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon S Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2021

223 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Mar 22, 11:11 PM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon S Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2021

147 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Mar 22, 2:24 AM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon S Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2021

151 by MachoGuacho2765 »»
Mar 21, 10:20 AM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon S Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2021

106 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Feb 29, 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.