Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Honor Student at Magic High School
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2021 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's about time Miyuki steps up to the plate in this competition. They've been saving her for one of the bigger events. While Miyuki is a favorite to win, Shizuku is definitely someone not to be underestimated either.

That being said, at least Shizuku tried her best and that's what's important. I was rooting for her over Miyuki tbh.
Sep 4, 2021 7:59 AM

Nov 2007
It seems like Rettousei 3rd season gets rebroadcasted in Fall
https://twitter.com/mahouka_anime/status/1434168875961274368
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 4, 2021 9:39 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Finally time for the faceoff between Shizuku and Miyuki huh. While Miyuki had excellent motivation for wanting to shine in Tatsuya's eyes Shizuku's determination really surprised me. Both when used in combination with the high level techniques used by the two served to make their match an excellent tension filled one. Its unfortunate that Shizuku couldn't attain the victory that she wanted but even losing is a valuable experience. Honoka's performance in mirage bat sure was nice. Her innate sense sure gave her an excellent advantage. Overall a pretty fun ep with the standout being the faceoff between Miyuki and Shizuku that showed well the kind of high level magic that exists in this world. Looks like the men's overconfidence proved to be their downfall though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2021 10:55 AM

Apr 2018
A pretty good match between Miyuki and Shizuka, the OST gave me the chills. Sadly, everything that Chadsuya did for her wasn't enough to beat Miyuki. Anyway, seems like it's time for the boys to shine. Hopefully, we'll see Tatsuya vs that red head.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 4, 2021 11:00 AM

Jun 2014
Miyuki vs. Shizuku went exactly how one would have expected, but it was still nice to see Shizuku put up a fight and give it her all.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 4, 2021 11:28 AM

Aug 2013
I also was rooting for Shizuku even knowing the result of the match.

So Fourth High used magic before the start of the match. At least we will see Tatsuya in action in the next episode.

Sep 4, 2021 1:03 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Idk, every week i expect some new content, but its always just the same as irregular. I know that and still i get disappointed

smoochie smoochie

Sep 4, 2021 2:00 PM

Apr 2015
With already the result in mind, it didn't make it easier seeing Shizuku lose again against Miyuki. Even in the main series that was a bitter pill to swallow.

The scene where Honoka supports Shizuku is definitely different from the main series. I don't recall this happening inside the shower, but on a bed instead.

So they will actually cover Monolith code as well in this spin-off?
Sep 4, 2021 3:23 PM

Nov 2019
The more time invested into, the less intensive the competition became. I used to demand for more preparations, but certainly a quick and neat victory for Miyuki Shiba would portray how dominant she is. The addition was not that informative as usual, which streched the fight quite hard. Also, bad copy-paste from the Irregular. They could have spared more time for Mitsui and her Mirage Bat.

At least Tatsuya Shiba had some cozy time with his harem. Noice.
SgtBateManSep 4, 2021 3:32 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Sep 4, 2021 4:30 PM

Jul 2019
Great to see Niflheim getting shown again with this super animations! Can't wait to see next episode! Hope they make it better than it looks in rettousei!
Sep 4, 2021 5:08 PM

Aug 2020
Shizuku vs Miyuki finally, it was pretty interesting but not that amazing. I prefer a new season of Irregular rather than this anime

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Sep 4, 2021 6:20 PM
Aug 2010
CeddyyBearr said:

So they will actually cover Monolith code as well in this spin-off?

Yes they will cover Tatsuya showing off his skills in the Monolith code event for the most of the next episode, the event might stretch into episode 12 as well.

SgtBaitMan said:

They could have spared more time for Mitsui and her Mirage Bat.

Honoka and Subaru will have another brief showing in the next episode for the rookie Mirage Bat finals.
Sep 4, 2021 6:45 PM
Apr 2021
gotta say, I think Shizuku's meltdown midway through this episode is the strongest and most genuine character moment in the entire series so far. For once, it made perfect sense, felt earned, wasn't too melodramatic, but was still given the emotional weight it deserved. That said it was undercut by an immediate resolution in the following scene.
Hol up, I vaguely remember feeling irritated about this when watching original mahouka. I wouldn't be surprised if that was one scene from the original show and not from this shitty spinoff.

Khunime said:
Shizuku vs Miyuki finally, it was pretty interesting but not that amazing. I prefer a new season of Irregular rather than this anime
I think that's how everyone's feeling right now tbh. Even people who are enjoying this show would still likely enjoy a third season of mahouka more
Sep 4, 2021 8:09 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Aw Shizuku, you almost made it, even using two simultaneously cad at the same time! Too bad there's still a lot of ultimate magic Miyuki got under her hands. So, the result actually already being sealed from the start. Still, its good seeing all of the other perspectives, coming from her, the audiences especially the Third High, and, more importantly Honoka. Fine enough to me. Same with Mirage Bat which the result actually pretty expected with Honoka cheated the game play so much. Kek, poor their opponents. Monolith Code wasn't that impressive, because its featuring that stupid brat. But, looks like the next will begin from that first. So, ugh, yeah, okay then, can't wait ....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Sep 4, 2021 10:52 PM

Oct 2017
Miyuki dominated yet again, she destroyed Shizuku.
Sep 4, 2021 11:07 PM

Nov 2019
darren42 said:
Honoka and Subaru will have another brief showing in the next episode for the rookie Mirage Bat finals.

That might be true, but certainly a huge waste of volume. There are a lot of things that are/ were worthier of screen time. Also, they didn't know whether to focus on the fan service or storytelling, which resulted in this half-ass situation. We all agree that Mitsui in Mirage Bat is hot, though.
SgtBateManSep 7, 2021 12:19 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Sep 5, 2021 8:10 AM
Jun 2021
SideCharacterKal said:
A pretty good match between Miyuki and Shizuka, the OST gave me the chills. Sadly, everything that Chadsuya did for her wasn't enough to beat Miyuki. Anyway, seems like it's time for the boys to shine. Hopefully, we'll see Tatsuya vs that red head.

Is Tatsuya participating in the competion for him to face the redhead? I don't think so. However, I haven't watched the original series so I don't know.
Sep 5, 2021 8:12 AM
Jun 2021
Leo said:

So Fourth High used magic before the start of the match. At least we will see Tatsuya in action in the next episode.

How do you know that?
Sep 5, 2021 8:13 AM

Apr 2018
Rima128 said:
SideCharacterKal said:

Is Tatsuya participating in the competion for him to face the redhead? I don't think so. However, I haven't watched the original series so I don't know.

I don't really remember the reason anymore but he did participate in the competition and it was against the redhead. And I must say, it was one of the best fights of the competition so hopefully they'll include it in the spin-off.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 5, 2021 8:25 AM
Jun 2021
SideCharacterKal said:
Rima128 said:

I don't really remember the reason anymore but he did participate in the competition and it was against the redhead. And I must say, it was one of the best fights of the competition so hopefully they'll include it in the spin-off.

Ohhh~ Now, I am hyped up for the next episode.
I tried watching the original anime before starting the spinoff but I just couldn't since I didn't like the animation at all. Glad to see that this spinoff is sooo much better in terms of the animation.
Sep 5, 2021 12:53 PM

Nov 2019
Sorry folks, the source material is even lamer. Connect did well with what they had, at least.

Sep 5, 2021 1:30 PM

Feb 2014
Everyone knew that Shizuku was going to lose her match against Miyuki, but I'm still happy that she did give it everything that she had. Still, seeing her break down crying in front of Honoka in the shower does make me feel sad for her. =(

Also, I do approve of the outfit that Honoka was wearing for the mirage bat competition. Cute and sexy, that's for sure!

Now we should see Tatsuya in action against Fourth High in the next episode. It'll be interesting to see how this part gets animated.
Sep 6, 2021 2:21 AM
Jan 2019
theGodde said:
That is exactly what I meant by tied down. Not literally "tied down" but in the same way you'd say getting married "ties you down".
I certainly agree that if Miyuki is a lot more independent the show most definitely does not communicate this properly. Miyuki's ability to sway Tatsuya doesn't really feel fleshed out to me because there are very few occasions where she suggests things that Tatsuya is directly in opposition to. From what I gathered in the first season, Tatsuya didn't want to stand out and so didn't want to be in the disciplinary community, but at the same time felt pretty apathetic about it overall. So when Miyuki told him to do it, it didn't feel like she had any particular sway over him, but more just he was open to suggestions. And as for him working so hard during the sports festival, I feel like that wasn't necessarily Miyuki pushing him, but his own drive to please her. It's important to make a distinction between things Miyuki makes Tatsuya do, and things Tatsuya just does because he cares about Miyuki - as we can't really list those among the facets of her own character agency. I would argue that if the show wanted to demonstrate Miyuki's ability to sway Tatsuya, there should have been more times where she convinced him to do something even when he was in direction opposition to it.

She doesn't so much suggests things to Tatsuya as acts on her own and lets him deal with the fallout.

I'll grant you that we don't have too many examples of this. However, the examples we have range from heroic (protecting a child in ep.1 of current show), to mild (forcing Tatsuya into the Council), to murderous (she is implied to having freeze-murdered all of Blanche flunkies, despite Tatsuya asking her to contain herself), to just plain "woman scorned" (in a fit of jealousy, she inflicts enough damage on Tatsuya himself to trigger the anti-death cheat).

I really do think that this tension between the "miko of all that is good and pure" Miyuki and "jealously proud force of nature" Miyuki is the exact appeal of her character.

I definitely agree with you that having more examples of Miyuki forcing Tatsuya into things would definitely be to Mahouka's benefit. In fact, if we go with your idea of having Tatsuya engage in more situations featuring actual ethical dilemmas, then Miyuki can be a perfect trigger for these kinds of situations (in fact, the Blanche situation is a very good template for that).

By a pilot - mean writing a smaller story and showing it to people as a prototype for a much larger story. Say you write a short story with one of the more contained arcs in your main plan and give it to friends to test for you.
My massive story has started to bog down because I keep changing the plan for it. (Mainly because the more I write the more plot holes I find and then I have to go back and foreshadow/justify them, and then those tiny changes make rippling effects that completely reshape the entire plot). And I already had over 50,000 words written - split into 2 volumes of which around 5-10% of the material is useful under my latest plan without a complete rewrite. The best part is that I know as a fact I would never have made those revisions if I hadn't written those volumes, and so I'm trapped in an endless loop of rewriting and revising because of my own perfectionism. The thing is I know that if I stick with it I'll come out with a much better story than if I had of just left what I'd already written. (And I have the time since I'm still at Uni and don't need an income yet).
Overall, I'd agree that there's no such perfectionism that allows you to get everything right from the start.

When plans are changing, there are some important things to ask yourself.
1) Which parts of the plan is not changing? Chances are, the rest is useless fluff that can be either completely cut away, or significantly downsized.
2) Are the parts that are staying unchanged fundamental for your creative goals? If they are - you are on the right track. If they are not - you have a fundamental problem with the plan itself.
3) Assuming (2) is "yes", what specifically is preventing the parts that are staying unchanged from coming together into a coherent story? Most of the time, the answer is "the point of view that ties these stories together is not fleshed out". If this is the case, then you need to spend some time thinking about a point of view that serves as a framing device. It can be embodied by an actual in-story character (done most commonly). It can also be a location (like the ship in Cowboy Bebop), or some manner of McGuffin (like the mask in first season of JoJo). It can even be something superficial (Baccano newspaper).

I dunno. What motivated Naruto's obsession with Sasuke? It definitely began as jealousy/admiration, but by the end I think Naruto saw him as a friend more than anything else. This is made a lot more clear at the waterfall, where it puts that rooftop fight into perspective a bit more. And to me it didn't feel like a retcon, but merely confirming the original subtext of the scene. Sasuke is the only person who truly understands Naruto (and vice versa), and so they unwittingly develop a strong bond of friendship.
Sasuke's motivation for that fight is perfectly clear. MF just got slammed by Itachi for being too weak and now even Naruto is better than him. He wasn't angry so much at Naruto, but more at himself. And this lust for power overwhelmed him to the point where he was unable to see the true value of what he had until he gave it up.
That said Shippuden totally ruined that bond for me with the ridiculous way Sasuke behaved, and the almost incredible lengths Naruto would go to get him back. It really stretched the believability of their characters too far.
While I agree Neji was more interesting, it felt to me that once the chunin exam arc finished, his own arc was also completed, and all his most interesting aspects came with his interactions with Hinata, as he is a far more morally complex person who doesn't see the world in black and white - which contrasted well with the naive good nature of Hinata. I don't remember a single strong character moment for Neji after the Chunin exam finishes (yes the fight post-exam to get to Sasuke was great, but it didn't test or grow his character). I think pretty much all the characters stopped growing or changing once Shippuden hit, and just settled into their particular character archetype for the rest of the show - aside from Shikamaru, who has the best character development in Shippuden during that earlier arc.

So, i guess, the narrative broke the moment Naruto got lost in his own fantasy of "Sasuke is my friend", when Sasuke really didn't want to be friends anymore. However, i guess the author wanted them to end up as friends so much that he decided to stop Naruto's development for the sake of his idea.

Well, at least he saw his plan to the end :D

I will say that there are two types of situations. Writers who write a story and that story will unintentionally inherit theme as a result of the writer's unconscious focus, or writers who write a story off a plan involving specific themes incorporated into the character arcs and so forth. I think anything we refer to as a masterpiece is usually an exploration of theme, so I would say ultimately all good works are written around a theme. You can tell when a story isn't written with a theme. I would argue Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't written with a theme in mind. However it had a purpose - that being the physical expression of the writer/director's depression and the desire to be loved and validated. And so in that respect it could be called a theme.
I just went through my most highly rated anime list, and sure enough all of theme were theme driven. I also went through the top highest rated anime of all time and sure enough they were all theme driven too. It's really reinforced to me that writing from theme really is essential to crafting a good story.

The highest rated stuff has both the themes and the execution down pat. I understand that writing from theme is your cup of tea, so you definitely can and should do that. However, do remember that the path to glory is littered by works that are described as "had good premise, but couldn't deliver". Don't confuse premise with themes. A theme doesn't become a theme unless it is actually played out.

I think he also needs to be placed in more situations where no normal person would be able to make completely rational decisions - such as a trolley problem scenario lmao. Then show Tatsuya sacrificing a member of the extended cast to save 1,000 people in an auditorium or something - demonstrating that Tatsuya seriously lack emotion.

I would disagree with the soldier aspect. Nothing about Tatsuya signals "soldier" to me. He is certainly closer to an assassin or special operative. I know a lot of soldiers/military personnel IRL and I don't think Tatsuya would really benefit as a character from being more like a soldier. His whole situation is meant to be that he's forced by the system and by his aunt into doing terrible things, and that has reduced him to the state we see here. So having him be a soldier makes the feeling of dirtiness and betrayal a lot weaker in my eyes. There's something violating about being forced to kill people as an assassin, but as a soldier it morally feels perfectly legitimate. The concept of Tatsuya existing within that illegitimate grey area is what makes his backstory tragic IMO. But you've read further so you'd have more of an insight into this.

I didn't read THAT much further. I only really read up to anime-adapted material, the rest of my story knowledge comes from wikis (because actually reading that became too painful by that point :D).

Soldiers suffer plenty of betrayal, too. There are things such as criminal orders, things like corrupt superiors, things like simply stupid superiors. There is plenty of outright betrayal as well.

That being said, i can see why the term "soldier" doesn't really fit Tatsuya. He is too much of an edgelord to qualify as an actual soldier. Being an edgelord is one of the first thing military life beats out of a person :). Tatsuya's commander is a solider, but Tatsuya himself is definitely not (despite the commander's apparent high opinion of Tatsuya).

I guess a better term would be "a warrior noble". Historically, these were the people who had to carry out the actual real-life "trolley" decisions.

I can't see Tatsuya struggling with any of these decisions, though. He will quickly and efficiently take the most rational course of action. Unless, of course, Miyuki throws a wrench in the works :D

interesting. I looked it up. Is it called air gear?
But yeah I'd agree with all your points. I've been working on a magic system of my own for a smaller story project, and it's certainly difficult to visualise how magic would affect daily life. The more advanced the civilisation gets the more different it will become. You almost have to go back to a point where they were almost parallel (say the middle ages) and then work up from there bit by bit, slowly expanding your world. However that's something I feel like you'd have to be an engineer to even consider lmao.

Air Gear is definitely not an example i had in mind, lol :D. I think they got the "marginalized subculture magic" part down right, but not the "mundane magic". However, if you want to see some complete batshit mad magic systems, Air Gear is definitely a thing to consider :D. However, this is one of the few situations where i really feel that anime is no good and you should read the manga instead. I'm not much of a manga purist, but in case Air Gear the difference becomes apparent from literally the first few manga pages. Not to mention the fact that the anime actually stops just a few volumes shy of when the magitek stuff really hits the fan in the manga.

Here is the one i had in mind: https://myanimelist.net/anime/28391/Ao_no_Kanata_no_Four_Rhythm
Being a 6-7 score anime, you shouldn't expect anythinig outside of the generc. The idea and handling of Grav-Shoes is literally the only thing i remember it for.

You don't really have to be an engineer. Just have a solid idea and be curious enough to actually study up a little on the physics surrounding it (as opposed to lifting sciencey-sounding gimmicks wholesale like Mahouka does :/)

I liked him initially but overall I'm not a big fan. I didn't really get a sense of who he was as a person, he never really seemed to go beyond the stereotype he embodied - and I've seen that stereotype more than enough for that to feel unsatisfying.
I like the ninja detective idea a lot. It sounds really cool and fun. Not to mention it would make sense within the world as magic is something that you dedicate your life to - much like being a samurai or a shinobi. The reason why these roles were phased out is because of industrialism and a greater value on numbers over skill. And so within a magical world it's perfectly logical for such roles to remain in use.

Historic ninja didn't really partake in the large scale murder ethical dilemmas, though. They could maybe wipe out a village or two or - at most - explode a dam and flood a city.
However, nothing prevents us from upgrading the concept to modern age, where a ninja operation involving a portable nuclear bomb (or a similarly destructive and portable magical device) can easily create just the situtation for a trolley dilemma.
malMaxiSep 6, 2021 2:33 AM
Sep 6, 2021 3:04 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Of course Shizuku couldn't defeat Miyuki, but it was sad to see her crying in the shower like that :/
Sep 6, 2021 9:13 AM

May 2018
Shizuku put up a good fight! However, Miyuki's love for onii-sama prevailed over all.
Sep 7, 2021 4:13 AM
Apr 2021
malMaxi said:
She doesn't so much suggests things to Tatsuya as acts on her own and lets him deal with the fallout.

I'll grant you that we don't have too many examples of this. However, the examples we have range from heroic (protecting a child in ep.1 of current show), to mild (forcing Tatsuya into the Council), to murderous (she is implied to having freeze-murdered all of Blanche flunkies, despite Tatsuya asking her to contain herself), to just plain "woman scorned" (in a fit of jealousy, she inflicts enough damage on Tatsuya himself to trigger the anti-death cheat).

I really do think that this tension between the "miko of all that is good and pure" Miyuki and "jealously proud force of nature" Miyuki is the exact appeal of her character.

I definitely agree with you that having more examples of Miyuki forcing Tatsuya into things would definitely be to Mahouka's benefit. In fact, if we go with your idea of having Tatsuya engage in more situations featuring actual ethical dilemmas, then Miyuki can be a perfect trigger for these kinds of situations (in fact, the Blanche situation is a very good template for that).
I think the inherent issue with Miyuki (at least the anime) is that she doesn't have an established motivation to be "free spirited" or any actual goals/dreams outside of Tatsuya to pursue. Her only well-established motivation in the show is that she wants Tatsuya to acknowledge and appreciate her (In more ways than one). If there's one change that needs to be made it's that she needs more established motivations for her actions.

malMaxi said:
By a pilot - mean writing a smaller story and showing it to people as a prototype for a much larger story. Say you write a short story with one of the more contained arcs in your main plan and give it to friends to test for you.
My massive story has started to bog down because I keep changing the plan for it. (Mainly because the more I write the more plot holes I find and then I have to go back and foreshadow/justify them, and then those tiny changes make rippling effects that completely reshape the entire plot). And I already had over 50,000 words written - split into 2 volumes of which around 5-10% of the material is useful under my latest plan without a complete rewrite. The best part is that I know as a fact I would never have made those revisions if I hadn't written those volumes, and so I'm trapped in an endless loop of rewriting and revising because of my own perfectionism. The thing is I know that if I stick with it I'll come out with a much better story than if I had of just left what I'd already written. (And I have the time since I'm still at Uni and don't need an income yet).
Overall, I'd agree that there's no such perfectionism that allows you to get everything right from the start.

When plans are changing, there are some important things to ask yourself.
1) Which parts of the plan is not changing? Chances are, the rest is useless fluff that can be either completely cut away, or significantly downsized.
2) Are the parts that are staying unchanged fundamental for your creative goals? If they are - you are on the right track. If they are not - you have a fundamental problem with the plan itself.
3) Assuming (2) is "yes", what specifically is preventing the parts that are staying unchanged from coming together into a coherent story? Most of the time, the answer is "the point of view that ties these stories together is not fleshed out". If this is the case, then you need to spend some time thinking about a point of view that serves as a framing device. It can be embodied by an actual in-story character (done most commonly). It can also be a location (like the ship in Cowboy Bebop), or some manner of McGuffin (like the mask in first season of JoJo). It can even be something superficial (Baccano newspaper).
I am pretty well versed in story convention and storytelling. The problem here was how I planned it. I had a very long form story planned out. The first "period" of the story would take place over 3 years, with each year being its own contained story as well. I had one basic plan for the first year which I knew wasn't going to cut it. So I just sat down, bit the bullet, and wrote the first volume with almost no planning. What I got was a poorly constructed oftentimes nonsensical mess of conflicting ideas. However they were all fresh, inspired ideas that I hadn't gotten when I was planning before. So I went back and completely rewrote the plan for the first year and a bit of the second year to take these new ideas into account. And so a very bland edgy action high school story morphed into a political thriller about the inherent ethics of culturally justified terrorism.
So I wouldn't say that it was all "useless fluff" that could be easily changed or thrown out, but that my story is an interconnected web of themes, ideas, character arcs, and plots. One small change can have a massive rippling effect throughout the story. For example, there was a plot hole that the main characters ended up in a place they shouldn't have been in order for the story to take place, so I thought about it and constructed a government conspiracy that required the characters to be in that place, which in turn required the entire "year 1" story arc to be redesigned to resolve this conspiracy. And as I went on more layers were added until it became a political thriller. This is what I would call functional perfectionism. Rather than allowing plot holes and character inconsistencies to remain unresolved, I continue to iron them out and deal with the resulting rippling effects within the story that massively extends the time and effort required to make this story a reality.

malMaxi said:
So, i guess, the narrative broke the moment Naruto got lost in his own fantasy of "Sasuke is my friend", when Sasuke really didn't want to be friends anymore. However, i guess the author wanted them to end up as friends so much that he decided to stop Naruto's development for the sake of his idea.

Well, at least he saw his plan to the end :D
I think Sasuke always wanted to have that connection with Naruto, but his own conflicting priorities superseded that.
That said, it's really impossible to tell where this could have gone without more insight from Kishimoto (rip). For now we can only look at it from the perspective of a show that lost its way and failed to reinvent itself.

malMaxi said:
I will say that there are two types of situations. Writers who write a story and that story will unintentionally inherit theme as a result of the writer's unconscious focus, or writers who write a story off a plan involving specific themes incorporated into the character arcs and so forth. I think anything we refer to as a masterpiece is usually an exploration of theme, so I would say ultimately all good works are written around a theme. You can tell when a story isn't written with a theme. I would argue Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't written with a theme in mind. However it had a purpose - that being the physical expression of the writer/director's depression and the desire to be loved and validated. And so in that respect it could be called a theme.
I just went through my most highly rated anime list, and sure enough all of theme were theme driven. I also went through the top highest rated anime of all time and sure enough they were all theme driven too. It's really reinforced to me that writing from theme really is essential to crafting a good story.

The highest rated stuff has both the themes and the execution down pat. I understand that writing from theme is your cup of tea, so you definitely can and should do that. However, do remember that the path to glory is littered by works that are described as "had good premise, but couldn't deliver". Don't confuse premise with themes. A theme doesn't become a theme unless it is actually played out.
I don't understand what you mean. Take Night Head 2041. It's supposed to be a show exploring the ethics of an oppressive regime - where it works and where it doesn't, as well as freedom of expression as a human right (a strong theme). However, because the execution is so terrible you could consider it "had a good premise but couldn't deliver", and I would agree. But at the same time it doesn't suddenly cease to have those themes. They remain there even when poorly communicated (perhaps just a little more difficult to find).

malMaxi said:
I didn't read THAT much further. I only really read up to anime-adapted material, the rest of my story knowledge comes from wikis (because actually reading that became too painful by that point :D).

Soldiers suffer plenty of betrayal, too. There are things such as criminal orders, things like corrupt superiors, things like simply stupid superiors. There is plenty of outright betrayal as well.

That being said, i can see why the term "soldier" doesn't really fit Tatsuya. He is too much of an edgelord to qualify as an actual soldier. Being an edgelord is one of the first thing military life beats out of a person :). Tatsuya's commander is a solider, but Tatsuya himself is definitely not (despite the commander's apparent high opinion of Tatsuya).

I guess a better term would be "a warrior noble". Historically, these were the people who had to carry out the actual real-life "trolley" decisions.

I can't see Tatsuya struggling with any of these decisions, though. He will quickly and efficiently take the most rational course of action. Unless, of course, Miyuki throws a wrench in the works :D
And that is what would make these moral dilemmas interesting. It would be a subversion of expectations to take a character we know and love, and sacrifice them for a bunch of nameless characters we have no attachment to. Its very inhuman sociopathic nature would make the situation inherently fascinating.
That said we can both agree that Tatsuya doesn't quite fit the mould of a soldier.

malMaxi said:
interesting. I looked it up. Is it called air gear?
But yeah I'd agree with all your points. I've been working on a magic system of my own for a smaller story project, and it's certainly difficult to visualise how magic would affect daily life. The more advanced the civilisation gets the more different it will become. You almost have to go back to a point where they were almost parallel (say the middle ages) and then work up from there bit by bit, slowly expanding your world. However that's something I feel like you'd have to be an engineer to even consider lmao.

Air Gear is definitely not an example i had in mind, lol :D. I think they got the "marginalized subculture magic" part down right, but not the "mundane magic". However, if you want to see some complete batshit mad magic systems, Air Gear is definitely a thing to consider :D. However, this is one of the few situations where i really feel that anime is no good and you should read the manga instead. I'm not much of a manga purist, but in case Air Gear the difference becomes apparent from literally the first few manga pages. Not to mention the fact that the anime actually stops just a few volumes shy of when the magitek stuff really hits the fan in the manga.

Here is the one i had in mind: https://myanimelist.net/anime/28391/Ao_no_Kanata_no_Four_Rhythm
Being a 6-7 score anime, you shouldn't expect anythinig outside of the generc. The idea and handling of Grav-Shoes is literally the only thing i remember it for.

You don't really have to be an engineer. Just have a solid idea and be curious enough to actually study up a little on the physics surrounding it (as opposed to lifting sciencey-sounding gimmicks wholesale like Mahouka does :/)
you certainly like your obscure anime lmao.
As for "being an engineer", I meant it specifically in the kind of approach I was suggesting. The concept of starting from a known point of human civilisation and tracking every invention from then and how it would shape the culture and future innovation eventually resulting in a drastically different world. This is based on the fundamental understanding that innovation is driven by demand and priority. Wars and conflict escalate technology. Global catastrophes, financial collapses, and industry "fads" and conventions. Some new technology we have known about for years but never been able to put into to practice may become possible from a fictional technological leap. In the same way technology that we take for granted may never be pursued simply because there is no need or demand. That's the way an engineer would build a world.

malMaxi said:
I liked him initially but overall I'm not a big fan. I didn't really get a sense of who he was as a person, he never really seemed to go beyond the stereotype he embodied - and I've seen that stereotype more than enough for that to feel unsatisfying.
I like the ninja detective idea a lot. It sounds really cool and fun. Not to mention it would make sense within the world as magic is something that you dedicate your life to - much like being a samurai or a shinobi. The reason why these roles were phased out is because of industrialism and a greater value on numbers over skill. And so within a magical world it's perfectly logical for such roles to remain in use.

Historic ninja didn't really partake in the large scale murder ethical dilemmas, though. They could maybe wipe out a village or two or - at most - explode a dam and flood a city.
However, nothing prevents us from upgrading the concept to modern age, where a ninja operation involving a portable nuclear bomb (or a similarly destructive and portable magical device) can easily create just the situtation for a trolley dilemma.
indeed. Some cool concepts are made possible within the different technological and cultural climate of mahouka.
Sep 7, 2021 4:16 AM
Apr 2021
tsubasalover said:
It seems like Rettousei 3rd season gets rebroadcasted in Fall
https://twitter.com/mahouka_anime/status/1434168875961274368
are there any graphical/directional changes or is it just literally the same thing being rebroadcast again?
Sep 7, 2021 7:04 AM

Aug 2013
Rima128 said:
Leo said:

How do you know that?

Do you mean the use of magic against First High before the start of the Monolith Code? This was mentioned in the original series.

Sep 7, 2021 8:18 AM

Dec 2016
Kinda wanted to see Shizuku win but it's an obvious fact that it's impossible for any of them to defeat Miyuki.

That bathroom scene was emotional. It was really sad to see Shizuku cry like that. Good thing Honoka was there for her.
Feb 5, 2022 12:30 AM

Mar 2013
Up to this episode, we get to see so many battle scenes without skipping a thing (when compared to the first season), this is such a great episode. It adds more depth to Shizuku and Honoka's characters as well as the other characters.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Mar 28, 2022 8:53 PM

Sep 2018
That bathroom scene was hilarious. Changing it that much from the original where Honoka simply consoled Shizuku on the bed, and instead dramatizing it with some added ecchi, resulting in a shower scene. Couldn't stop laughing.

Apr 9, 2022 7:58 AM

Apr 2011
The battle of Shizuku vs Miyuki was good. But it was obvious Miyuki is gonna win.

The rest of the girls are doing fine. Except for guys...
Apr 27, 2022 2:36 PM

Mar 2019
This series made me like Honoka a little bit more. But yea nothing else to see, the same good finale that we had in the original as well.

Seems like we're getting the monolith code game after all? Would be a good decision.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Dec 2, 2022 7:48 AM

Apr 2013
Girls are useless and only Godsuya makes them win everything, episode 10.
Aug 21, 2023 6:04 AM

Nov 2010
They improved the Miyuki vs. Shizuku Ice Break. They went into the details of the fight, and it's much easier to understand what's happening. Miyuki is in a tier of her own. At least Shizuku could scratch her, but I hoped she would break at least one pillar.

They also explained how Mirage Bat is played. I understood the mechanics in the main series, but an actual explanation is still better.

This is what they should've done in the main series. They should've kept the mystery by showing only the sabotage and not revealing the culprit until the end.

More topics from this board

» Should I skip this or it's canon

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 8

11 by Dr_Harem_VII »»
Apr 12, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2021

39 by MiaAyende »»
Mar 10, 11:32 PM

» What does this cover ? No Spoilers

xnub - Aug 24, 2023

7 by baymaxemon »»
Jan 8, 11:55 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2021

24 by GooseHybrid »»
Nov 1, 2023 7:38 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

38 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 21, 2023 9:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.