Forum Settings
Forums

Olympic shooter accused of being member of Iranian terrorist group after winning gold medal

New
Jul 31, 2021 9:03 PM

Oct 2015
https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/ny-tokyo-olympic-gold-medalist-shooter-iran-accused-terrorist-group-irgc-20210730-qi4uefiau5bsdbbl5kgvv6vpnq-story.html

A Korean veteran shooter told reporters this week that having an Iranian athlete accused of being a terrorist compete at the Tokyo Games is “absurd and ridiculous,” adding pressure on the International Olympic Committee to investigate the allegations.

International critics have accused Javad Foroughi, who won gold in the 10-meter pistol on Saturday, of being a member of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, a powerful paramilitary organization considered by the United States as a terrorist group. The IOC has challenged critics to show proof of his alleged ties to the IRGC, but it’s still unclear if any such evidence would surface.

South Korea’s Jin Jong-oh, a six-time gold medalist shooter who failed to qualify for the Olympics this year, was outraged by Foroughi’s participation in the event.

“How can a terrorist win first place? That’s the most absurd and ridiculous thing,” he told reporters at Incheon International Airport on Wednesday, according to the Korea Times.

The unproven allegations began spreading shortly after Foroughi won the first and only medal so far for his country in Tokyo.

The activist group “United For Navid,” which has long campaigned for Iran to be excluded from the Olympics and warned about the possible presence of military members at the event, described the 41-year-old shooter as a current and longtime member of the IRGC. The group — named after wrestler Navid Afkari, who was killed by the Iranian government last year — said awarding Foroughi a medal was “not only a catastrophe for Iranian sports but also for the international community, and especially the reputation of International Olympic Committee.”

“Awarding an Olympic Gold Medal to a member of a terrorist organization is an insult to other athletes and a black mark on the IOC. ‘United for Navid’ calls for an immediate investigation by the IOC, and until an investigation is completed the suspension of any medal award,” the group said in a statement.

The Trump administration designated the IRGC as a terrorist organization in 2019, saying the Iranian government uses the group as a tool for plotting terrorist attacks, including some that have killed U.S. citizens, as well as taking hostages and fueling violence across the Middle East.

Lol, this salty loser threw a fit and call the winner a "terrorist"? Fucking racist and islamophobe. Well to be fair it's unsurprising since most South Koreans are generally racists and colorists. If you're South Korean and not a racist and colorist at all then I guess you're a minority.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 31, 2021 9:17 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
China and North Korea are not bastions of liberalism and racial equality either, though. These attacks on South Korean people as a whole are also a part of your mission to "spread communism."

As for the event itself, I feel ambivalent. How is this an "insult to other athletes" when the alleged terrorist has beaten them in a fair competition? But sure, let them do an investigation.
Jul 31, 2021 9:36 PM

Oct 2015
149597871 said:
China and North Korea are not bastions of liberalism and racial equality either, though. These attacks on South Korean people as a whole are also a part of your mission to "spread communism."

As for the event itself, I feel ambivalent. How is this an "insult to other athletes" when the alleged terrorist has beaten them in a fair competition? But sure, let them do an investigation.
Why do you have to bring China and North Korea and communism to this? I'm totally not talking about any of that. Also I don't attack "South Korean people as a whole". Saying that the majority of them are racists doesn't mean all of them are racists. A small minority of them are not, just like what I have already said in the OP. Also since when, that I said China and North Korea are bastions of liberalism?? Moreover that I myself don't like liberalism/liberals at all???

About the topic, I think he's more of just throwing a fit after losing the competition. If he's actually concerned that the person is a terrorist, then he should've done the accusation before the Iranian athlete won the gold medal. Especially that he's also a shooting athlete.
Jul 31, 2021 9:53 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Desolated said:
149597871 said:

Why do you have to bring China and North Korea and communism to this? I'm totally not talking about any of that. Also I don't attack "South Korean people as a whole". Saying that the majority of them are racists doesn't mean all of them are racists. A small minority of them are not, just like what I have already said in the OP. Also since when, that I said China and North Korea are bastions of liberalism?? Moreover that I myself don't like liberalism/liberals at all???

About the topic, I think he's more of just throwing a fit after losing the competition. If he's actually concerned that the person is a terrorist, then he should've done the accusation before the Iranian athlete won the gold medal. Especially that he's also a shooting athlete.

I do not even think it is fair to say that the majority of them are racist based on the actions of a single athlete, though... at least for East Asian standards, as I pointed out. Both SK and Japan have drastically improved in these aspects over the past few decades. There is a widespread intolerance towards Islam, however.

Yeah, makes sense. Moreover, the SK athlete did not even qualify for the Olympics, according to the article, so it is not like the Iranian guy has stolen the medal from him or something like that.
Jul 31, 2021 10:08 PM

Oct 2015
149597871 said:
Desolated said:

I do not even think it is fair to say that the majority of them are racist based on the actions of a single athlete, though... at least for East Asian standards, as I pointed out. Both SK and Japan have drastically improved in these aspects over the past few decades. There is a widespread intolerance towards Islam, however.

Yeah, makes sense. Moreover, the SK athlete did not even qualify for the Olympics, according to the article, so it is not like the Iranian guy has stolen the medal from him or something like that.
Opened twitter and apparently there are some vocal SE Asian people calling South Koreans about this as well. These are some pics that I found there posted by them.

Aug 1, 2021 2:07 AM

Jul 2016
@Desolated A "Korean" is just a Korean, no quotation marks needed. Diasporas residing on not their land does not invalidate the indigenous peoples identity. Just as a person cannot become Navajo, neither can they become Korean or English.
Aug 1, 2021 6:18 AM

Oct 2020
Curseee said:

Or, if the issue is not that, but the presence of an alleged terrorist at an olympic event, how did things get to here in the first place?

It's no surprise at all. Athletes with a history of doping were able to join this Olympics.
Aug 1, 2021 7:07 AM

May 2018
There is no such thing as "islamophobia". It's completely rational to be afraid of a murderous religious.
Aug 1, 2021 7:48 AM

Oct 2015
Only_Brad said:
There is no such thing as "islamophobia". It's completely rational to be afraid of a murderous religious.
You said this as if the Christians, Jews, Hindus, etc never started any murder at all.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albigensian_Crusade
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder_Plot
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogrom
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_nationalism
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_Dalet
Aug 1, 2021 8:09 AM

Jun 2019
Desolated said:
149597871 said:

Opened twitter and apparently there are some vocal SE Asian people calling South Koreans about this as well. These are some pics that I found there posted by them.

Trying to discuss about racism with memes and internet comments? This is certainly convincing.

Otherwise, yes, those comments were indeed disgusting.
Aug 1, 2021 8:56 AM

Dec 2018
Since I wanna appear better than everyone else by avoiding discussions to not expose myself to be more vulnerable to rebuttals, I will simply not add anything. I just wanna say these threads damage my brain. edit: Eh you know what, fuck it, I'll take it. I've changed my mind. MAL politics are kinda fun.
. . .
Aug 1, 2021 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
Even if this guy was a part of the IRG he didn’t steal the medal he won it. I am of the opinion that in this particular case it shouldn’t matter and the comments by the South Korean guy were disgusting.
Aug 1, 2021 11:38 AM

Feb 2010

you forgot some major ones.-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition
there is no such thing as a peaceful Abrahamic religion. or religion in general even Shinto, Buddhism etc has it's violent factions.

however that said
Well to be fair it's unsurprising since most South Koreans are generally racists and colorists. If you're South Korean and not a racist and colorist at all then I guess you're a minority.

That sentence in itself is racists blame should be past based on individuals not region, race, or sex.
you can't control where you were born or what your born as. However your choices and actions are your own.

GrimAtramentAug 1, 2021 11:52 AM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Aug 1, 2021 12:19 PM

Oct 2015
hazarddex said:

you forgot some major ones.-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition
there is no such thing as a peaceful Abrahamic religion. or religion in general even Shinto, Buddhism etc has it's violent factions.

however that said
Well to be fair it's unsurprising since most South Koreans are generally racists and colorists. If you're South Korean and not a racist and colorist at all then I guess you're a minority.

That sentence in itself is racists blame should be past based on individuals not region, race, or sex.
you can't control where you were born or what your born as. However your choices and actions are your own.

Well it's true tbh but, just saying that if you grow in a racist xenophonic enviroment you'll be most likely be one because of the obliviousness of how bad it is because nobody in your life has ever told you that it's bad, and will usually instead tell you that it's "just the way it is" aka using essentialism to justify their racism. So yeah, racism is a systemic issue. The minority are people which somehow, either it be communicating with people who's not racist, has saw/studied the bad effects of racism, or whatever reason which gave them different views which challenged the views taught in their upbringing.

Which is why I also said most, not all.
Aug 1, 2021 1:13 PM

Oct 2010
to be fair, the olympics are about sports, I don't care if the athlete is a killer or a rapist, I only care if he's using illegal substances or not
Aug 1, 2021 1:17 PM

Jul 2016
@Meusnier

Those comments are irrelevant in the grand scheme of racism, when ultranationalist ethno-religious states disposses indigenous peoples of their land. People who always give a shit about comments made under the auspices of freedom of speech and liberty are always ignorant or sympathetic to actual racist human rights violations.

Imagine criticising free liberal language in S.Korea, while China or Taiwan deprives Tibetans or Taiwanese aboriginal s of their rights and land, oh but they are in the Global South, anf your bias means they are the universally oppressed, thus should not be criticised.
Aug 1, 2021 1:17 PM

Sep 2017
lmao seethe and cope
خ
Aug 2, 2021 6:32 AM

Jun 2019
RuneRem said:
@Meusnier

Those comments are irrelevant in the grand scheme of racism, when ultranationalist ethno-religious states disposses indigenous peoples of their land. People who always give a shit about comments made under the auspices of freedom of speech and liberty are always ignorant or sympathetic to actual racist human rights violations.

Imagine criticising free liberal language in S.Korea, while China or Taiwan deprives Tibetans or Taiwanese aboriginal s of their rights and land, oh but they are in the Global South, anf your bias means they are the universally oppressed, thus should not be criticised.

Why do you always need to bring Israel to any discussion? Thankfully, Current Events will close soon and I will not have to listen to you any more. You are probably amongst the users responsible for its closure.
Aug 2, 2021 6:44 AM

Sep 2018
Seems like a salty accusation used to try to delegitimize the dude`s victory.
Aug 3, 2021 6:28 AM

Sep 2010
>great shooter
>terrorist
Man, I dunno, it's all click pretty good.
Also, nice try defending religion that's still responsible for the overwhelming majority of current religious terrorist attacks by pointing finger to the atrocities that some other religions done way back in the past. Pure whataboutism as is.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Aug 3, 2021 6:32 AM

Jul 2015
kitsune0 said:
>great shooter
>terrorist
Man, I dunno, it's all click pretty good.
Also, nice try defending religion that's still responsible for the overwhelming majority of current religious terrorist attacks by pointing finger to the atrocities that some other religions done way back in the past. Pure whataboutism as is.

"way back"

*Meanwhile, the US and Israel are murdering people since almost a century in the name of their respective gods*
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.