Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Honor Student at Magic High School
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2021 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Jesus Christ, it looked like a warzone out there at school. Blanche is no joke with their intentions.

Luckily, the students (at least some of them) were able to defend themselves. Of course Takuya and Miyuki would take action in their own hands in this drama. A very action packed episode as expected. Not going to lie, Im actually impressed by how hard the students fought back.

Jul 31, 2021 7:58 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 31, 2021 9:49 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The best way to improve relations between two groups is always dialogue between like minded people. Things though sure escalated pretty quickly though. Eimi sure got there in the nick of time. The scale of Blanche Japan's assault on the school was larger than expected. That arsenal they had was surprisingly broad. But this served to showcase just how barbaric they were with their methods. The detective clubs subdue of Tsukasa's allies sure was fun as was the edit to how he was caught as well. The insight into how Tatsuya and Miyuki's friends fared as they stormed the stronghold was also nice. Miyuki's freezing of the blanche members while remarking on how much she's enjoying school with her friends really served to create one hell of a contrast for that scene. The birthday event sure did an excellent job of ending the ep and this arc on a more peaceful note. Overall an excellent ep that balanced action, tension and some light hearted moments relatively well. Looking forward to meeting the new cast for the nine schools competition next week.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2021 10:14 AM

Aug 2013
This episode showed how scary Miyuki can be.

The Nine Schools Competition is the one thing was waiting for the most in this spin-off. I'm looking forward to seeing the new characters from Third High.

Jul 31, 2021 10:21 AM

Feb 2019
Dope episode, but what I’m really looking forward to is next week. The 9 schools competitions from Miyuki’s perspective is gonna be awesome. Hype for the third high girls as well
Jul 31, 2021 11:03 AM

Apr 2014
The Nine Schools Competition is coming next. I really looking forward to watching the next episode. I hope we will see more competition from the girls' side.
何それ?意味分かんない
Jul 31, 2021 12:14 PM
Jun 2021
Marinate1016 said:
Dope episode, but what I’m really looking forward to is next week. The 9 schools competitions from Miyuki’s perspective is gonna be awesome. Hype for the third high girls as well

Can't wait for them to get their asses whooped by First High, next few episodes gonna a lot of fun
Jul 31, 2021 12:44 PM

Apr 2015
Third High girls makes me a little interested seeing them in this spin-off. I just can't recall, did they ever get a proper introduction in the main series? Cause all I can remember from this "Olympic Games" arc was the battle between Tatsuya and the crimson prince.

Since the main series focused on First High, hopefully we get to see more of the girls from Third High that they have to compete against.
Jul 31, 2021 12:52 PM

Nov 2014
The fanservice is off the charts lol.
Jul 31, 2021 1:16 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well deserved for Blanche, of course don't try to attack Miyuki's brother, it's rare to see someone THAT brocon xD
Jul 31, 2021 1:23 PM

Jan 2021
The pacing in this adaption is bad like it is so bad my English isn’t nearly good enough to express hot bad the pacing is
Jul 31, 2021 2:48 PM

Apr 2018
Miyuki's fearsome. An action packed episode. Kinda fast paced, but still enjoyed it. Chadsuya easily cleared the whole hideout. And damn, after credit scenes. Can't wait to see the new girls. Espically the blonde one.
The competition is close.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 31, 2021 4:07 PM
Dec 2019
The only thing i hate in mahouka is the mibu x kirihara relationship, she basically settled for him like "oh, i cant date tatsuya huh? So i guess you'll do the job" thats fucked up...
Jul 31, 2021 4:34 PM
Aug 2010
CeddyyBearr said:
Third High girls makes me a little interested seeing them in this spin-off. I just can't recall, did they ever get a proper introduction in the main series?

No they weren't in the main series at all.

CeddyyBearr said:
Since the main series focused on First High, hopefully we get to see more of the girls from Third High that they have to compete against.

The focus will be around specific events that the trio of first year girls from Third High compete in against their First High counterparts. There will also be a lot more detail around the strageties and individual performances compared to the quick summary in the main series.
Jul 31, 2021 7:08 PM
Apr 2021
this episode was barely a story, mostly just a series of repurposed scenes from the mainline series. This episode is possibly even more offensively repurposed than ep 2.

If I was watching this legally, I'd be ashamed for giving this studio money for their copy + paste job.
Jul 31, 2021 8:13 PM
Apr 2021
for reference, I had typed out most of my reply, and then my computer died. So in frustration I just kinda gave up on a response to last week. Sorry about that, I had and still do have a lot to say about what you brought up

malMaxi said:
Nobody wants to go back to pre-television. The question is - what is it that writing can deliver that visuals cannot and how much demand there is for it.

I personally think writing can deliver a lot of what a realtime visual medium is unable to. However, doing so will require writers to shift their focus from trying to paint a picture with words towards something else.

Admittedly, at this point, i can't explain very well what that something is. I believe it exists somewhere in the gap between a visual novel and its manga/anime adaptation, but at this point i can't clarify further.
One thing you can do with books is explain what characters are thinking and feeling. You can add a lot more interior monologues that don't interrupt the pacing of a story like they would in a theatre aside or when an anime stops for a character to analyse a situation.

Good well written English stories can also give you descriptive imagery that surpasses poetry in its beauty. A lot of older authors from the pre-television age developed writing styles that completely blew me away. There is also the benefit that a book's imagery is limited only by your imagination.

malMaxi said:
I agree that the movie industry can change significantly in 2-3 years, due to economical and technological pressures. It already did so multiple times in my own lifetime.
I do not see how that will significantly affect the writing paradigms, though :( (and i only remember a major change in these paradigms once, following the end of the Cold War). That is, i do not see how any technological or market change in the movie industry can affect the selection pressures it exerts upon the writers. A sit-at-home viewer will still respond best to what most market executives (but also, and probably more importantly, writers themselves) only seem to understand as "stereotypical wish-fulfillment" and "catering to a niche".

We need only to look at japanese industry itself as an example. When it comes to indie writing, it is more or less unrivaled int the world. And yet the commercialization of writing there is strong and is only getting stronger.
the prevalence of streaming may totally turn the way stories are written. I know there are many indie filmmakers that now go and film a movie for less than 1 Million dollars and then appeal to Netflix to fund the post-production VFX, getting a guaranteed spot in their streaming platform. This in turn means that they aren't being usurped by producers in those earlier stages of pre-production and production itself (which is both a positive and a negative).
the negative to this is that movies are getting way longer. There are certain kinds of movies - such as action blockbusters - that do not need to be nearly as long as they are, and tend to become overindulgent and boring when extended beyond necessity (just look at the Snyder Cut. No matter your opinion on its overall quality, scenes linger far too long and the entire thing could have an hour trimmed off it no problem).

writing has changed dramatically overtime, but that change has been very gradual. In modern hollywood, the writing quality has dropped to an all-time low as a result of writers being selected based on their social attributes (race/gender/ideology) rather than their actual skill. While this is not good in the slightest, it is indicative of Hollywood's ability to change to reflect current American values. If they can become dramatically worse, then it should also be possible for them to become dramatically improved under the right circumstances.

malMaxi said:
You agreed that what i call "moments of characterization" are relevant to characterization in general, but cannot stand on their own without a larger context. You seem to agree that these moments exist in ep.2 of this Mahouka series. You also agree that they ultimately fall flat because there is no larger context in which these moments of characterization can make sense.

If i'm not missing anything, then we are in agreement here.
yeah lmao I was trying to correct your understanding of characterisation, but didn't feed it into any overarching statement explaining what I meant. But basically characterisation is usually what you're calling "moments of characterisation" and then "overall characterisation" or "general characterisation" is the entire characterisation of a character.

Characterisation is not the act of giving personality to a character, it is the act of expressing the personality of a character you have already predefined either in notes or in your head. A good writer has an idea of their characters' personalities and story arcs before they sit down and write them. They then use events and character choices to reveal to the audience aspects of this character. Those acts are true characterisation. What amateur writers try and do is go from the opposite side - just add characterisation as you go until you develop the character. That is what I'm guessing happened with Mahouka.
If I were to describe this in reality, it's the different between the statement from Batman Begins
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me"
which is completely wrong and a terrible way of viewing humans and human actions. In reality [quote]"It's who I am that defines what I do"[quote]

malMaxi said:
I would love to see an adaptation of Unordinary handled by the same crew that did Mob Psycho :D

That's unlikely to ever happen, but one can dream.

And yeah, Uru-chan is doing great work and will likely get a lot better in the future.

I'm going to be honest here, the action was the biggest weakness of unORDINARY. There was so many different powers but everyone's fighting style was basically the same. Combat also did not change or evolve over the progress of fights. Uru-Chan also was rather unimaginative with the character's use of their powers.
This is all pretty much fine since the heart of the series was always the story and characters, but I think it would translate pretty poorly to anime. I also strongly suspect she's American (or at least a native English speaker) as her names are all very English (I've seen a lot of anime set in British or American style societies that still use Japanese names), and there are a lot of cultural aspects that only someone who's lived in a culturally English country would know. And then there's the characters which feel very culturally English. If she's not Japanese, the chances of a Japanese animation studio ever animating any of her content regardless of how popular it gets is next to nil.
I'm hopeful that at some point she will bring unORDINARY to a close and start an entirely new story - one that utilises all her experience working on unORDINARY that's a lot better quality in storytelling and art style (her art looks very average, I can only imagine it's from Webtoon's oppressive work schedules).

malMaxi said:
There is great value in having a work of art transcend from niche appeal to general appeal, and fixing problems is exactly the way to do it. The example that comes to mind most readily is not from anime, but rather from gaming: the Souls series had niche appeal in Demon Souls, but corrected its problems in Dark Souls, and the series has been a genre-defining phenomenon ever since.

The only question here is the process through which you identify the flaws and the proper ways to correct them. The critics are usually correct about the flaws, but they are usually wrong about ways to correct them (in case of Demon Souls, most critics wanted reduced difficulty, which seems hilarious in hindsight). The fans, on another hand, are usually unable to point out the flaws of the work, but if challenged on a way to improve a specific aspect can often provide good ideas on how to do so.
This seems like a fun idea, so why don't we spend time identifying the flaws and possible solutions to Mahouka?
the first major flaw is the animation - not necessarily the quality of the frames themselves, but the fluidity of motion. Fights always tend to play out like a pokemon battle. One side will use their attack, the other will stay still until it's launched and then will either get hit or dodge, in which case it's their turn to attack. The prime example being this episode where the three girls were fighting armed assailants and I don't think they fired a single bullet the entire fight.

the way CADs are used in mahouka is also awful. The fights basically boil down to 17th century musket wars, where two sides line up and take turns activating their CADs at each other. If there was a better mix of quick-activation low damage spells and long activation high damage spells that could easily improve the fluidity and changeability of the combat.
The need to lengthen every CAD battle also can really harm the pacing. Sometimes quickdraw duels can be more entertaining than long and arduous battles (when set up correctly)

suffice to say the action is and always has been severely lacking in Mahouka, and no one would stop watching if the fight direction improved.

I'll start with that, feel free to chip in with your own thoughts and suggestions as well.
Jul 31, 2021 9:00 PM

May 2014
I'm confused, it seems Eimi's well acquainted already with Honoka and the others and she acknowledges Tatsuya's skill here already. But in the main series, why is she doubting Tatsuya's skills as an engineer before NSC competition?
Jul 31, 2021 10:53 PM
Jul 2018
We finally getting more original content from next episode onward. The introduction of those 3rd High girls is pretty cringe, talking up themselves like that.
Jul 31, 2021 11:25 PM

Oct 2008
Onii-sama Count friggin': 27 lolz!
Tatsuya even being considerate to those rebels because Miyuki's Niflheim is too much for those without any maho powers...
4/5

Aug 1, 2021 3:35 AM

Mar 2019
Ah pardon me but i still don't get the point of this series

Aug 1, 2021 3:38 AM

May 2018
So we get to see what happened back at the school after Blanche attacked and how that Blanche high schooler guy got caught.
Aug 1, 2021 3:38 AM

May 2018
Anik00712 said:

my beloved onii-sama that's the point
Aug 1, 2021 7:59 AM
Jan 2019
Anik00712 said:

It is an attempt to tell a sidestory to season 1's events. Only there isn't enough story so fat for it to really be self-sufficient, so instead we get this mess.

theGodde said:
for reference, I had typed out most of my reply, and then my computer died. So in frustration I just kinda gave up on a response to last week. Sorry about that, I had and still do have a lot to say about what you brought up

A possible solution for our text-losing woes could be typing them directly in something like google docs that are autosaved to the cloud.
I don't really think we need to go that far though :D

One thing you can do with books is explain what characters are thinking and feeling. You can add a lot more interior monologues that don't interrupt the pacing of a story like they would in a theatre aside or when an anime stops for a character to analyse a situation.

Good well written English stories can also give you descriptive imagery that surpasses poetry in its beauty. A lot of older authors from the pre-television age developed writing styles that completely blew me away. There is also the benefit that a book's imagery is limited only by your imagination.

I don't think visual media is much worse about engaging the imagination, but it certainly engages a different kind of imagination. Where in reading books you need to supply your own pictures, in watching images you often need to supply your own worldbuilding and internal monologues :D

You are, obviously, correct that everyone trying to make the internal monologue happen on screen is kind of missing the point. With the exception being, obviously, JoJo, where the relationship between internal monologues and on-screen events is a bit more complex.

You kind of lose me at the notion of "beauty of text". I understand some verbal constructions can be exceptionally meaningful, certainly dealt with and appreciated my share of those, but "beauty" isn't the term i would use. To me, "beauty" is one of those "good" and "bad" things - highly subjective and not really worth mentioning in pursuit of objectivity.

What i can appreciate in the context of "beauty" is some identifiable properties of text, such as a highly effective use of language. In fact, the best definition of poetry that i ever heard is "text that is impossible to translate into other languages without losing its complete meaning". I can also appreciate that text can be evocative, that is stimulating the processes of imagination.

However, i don't see how this helps in distinguishing what separates text from visual media in terms of their respective capabilities, as well as ability to adapt works from one medium into another. It might be tempting to say that text and visuals use different languages, but i find that the definition of term "language" get stretched a bit too thin once you start talking about things like "language of movies", to the where the entire concept of "visual language" starts looking like a false research target.

Obviously, there is stuff like color theory. In fact, visual design in general often seems to have some hard and fast rules that could pass for "language" if you don't think too hard about what language is. There is definitely something like language in animation, which is closer to music than anything written. But, just as it is best to view musical notation not as language, but as an entirely separate kind of phenomenon, so i think it is best to view the instruments of visual medium as a third completely separate category.

So, to me, the notion of beauty of text has more to do with beauty of language, but i don't find that notion really helpful in comparing texts to visuals, because relationship of visuals to language is much too unclear to begin with.

Still, the notion that the written word engages a completely different kind of imagination is interesting. I'll have to think a bit on what this actually entails, though.

the prevalence of streaming may totally turn the way stories are written. I know there are many indie filmmakers that now go and film a movie for less than 1 Million dollars and then appeal to Netflix to fund the post-production VFX, getting a guaranteed spot in their streaming platform. This in turn means that they aren't being usurped by producers in those earlier stages of pre-production and production itself (which is both a positive and a negative).
the negative to this is that movies are getting way longer. There are certain kinds of movies - such as action blockbusters - that do not need to be nearly as long as they are, and tend to become overindulgent and boring when extended beyond necessity (just look at the Snyder Cut. No matter your opinion on its overall quality, scenes linger far too long and the entire thing could have an hour trimmed off it no problem).

I view this whole thing as USA playing catch-up to the creative model of Japan. For example, the current Idaten anime began as a webcomic, then got adapted into serialized manga (that's when it got the attention of business), and is now becoming an actual anime series.

Further along in this process are series like Demon Slayer and From the Abyss, which are actually generating their own movies. Which, incidentally, are mostly meaningless fanservice, the actual interesting content of which could easily fit in 1 good anime episode.

The impact of the whole thing on writing is "light-novelization". However, i was already reading light novels in 1990s (and saw entire libraries full of said light novels in houses of people who really liked them), so i can't really view it as anything truly new when it comes to the writing world.

writing has changed dramatically overtime, but that change has been very gradual. In modern hollywood, the writing quality has dropped to an all-time low as a result of writers being selected based on their social attributes (race/gender/ideology) rather than their actual skill. While this is not good in the slightest, it is indicative of Hollywood's ability to change to reflect current American values. If they can become dramatically worse, then it should also be possible for them to become dramatically improved under the right circumstances.

The change in writing you describe i can't really view as "change".

Allow me to employ a grim metaphor in order to make my position the most clear it can be.

Imagine a dead body. A dead body is a dead body. And that doesn't change no matter how long said dead body lies unburied in the woods, exposed to the elements and undergoing various decomposition processes. Eventually, it will be just a skeleton, and that still wouldn't be "change". The change happened the moment the person died, everything else from that point on is not really "change" on any meaningful level. The next "change" will be when the skeleton itself becomes disassembled, but that takes either direct application of force, or prolonged exposure to various specific sorts of chemistry.

Let me recommend one of the few police procedurals i actually like that really puts that entire subject matter through the wringer :). It is called Bones and it is pretty good (for a status-quo go-nowhere perpetually-ongoing repressed-love crime comedy :D).
"He is a FBI officer with an interesting belt buckle, she is a forensic anthropologist too busy for his bullshit. Together, they fight crime!"

Back on topic, I maintain that the last big "change" in writing happened sometime between 1985 and 1995. Whether what happened since is "decomposition" or "progress" is a matter of opinion (but i'm leaning towards "decomposition").

yeah lmao I was trying to correct your understanding of characterisation, but didn't feed it into any overarching statement explaining what I meant. But basically characterisation is usually what you're calling "moments of characterisation" and then "overall characterisation" or "general characterisation" is the entire characterisation of a character.

Ah, so i was using the term a bit too broadly.
Fair enough, i will endeavour to respect the accepted terminology (while thinking about why specifically i chose to mutilate it in the first place).

Characterisation is not the act of giving personality to a character, it is the act of expressing the personality of a character you have already predefined either in notes or in your head. A good writer has an idea of their characters' personalities and story arcs before they sit down and write them. They then use events and character choices to reveal to the audience aspects of this character. Those acts are true characterisation. What amateur writers try and do is go from the opposite side - just add characterisation as you go until you develop the character. That is what I'm guessing happened with Mahouka.
If I were to describe this in reality, it's the different between the statement from Batman Begins "It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" which is completely wrong and a terrible way of viewing humans and human actions. In reality "It's who I am that defines what I do"

I am not sure how wrong that way of viewing humans is. It is by their fruits that we know them, after all.

I will accept that this original Bible quote tells us specifically about identifying false prophets, applying it to characterization is a bit of a stretch :D. But you still do know a good character by impact he makes, and - more importantly - that's how the audience is going to view it. If you make a great character that has no impact... Well, you haven't made a good character :D (though here, once again, one needs to nod in the direction of JoJo's Speedwagon. In his case, being a character IS his impact).

The problem with Mahouka is that its characters lack impact, often being outright robbed of it by Mahouka's own plot. In fact, the recent episode of current show exemplifies it very well: Miyuki becoming a murderer was a nice touch and a great fertile ground for the whole "Miyuki is a monster" thing they had going on. However, they butchered the impact of this development through the use of Oniisan Ex Machina.

This, if you haven't noticed, is an example of a situation where previously made planning actually kills a character. So preplanning can be both good and bad.

The problem with characters in Mahouka is not that the authors didn't plan the personalities of the characters. It is that they planned those personalities so badly that they rendered blind to or unable to meet all the characterization opportunities the ongoing story provides them.

I believe the best way to view the disconnect in our positions here is by referencing a game design concept called MDA (mechanics, dynamics, aesthetics). You can easily google it, it is not a hard thing to grasp at all (the original paper was like 10 pages). Point is, you as a craftsman approach the character from the side of mechanics (and are trying to get the underlying mechanics right to make sure the ongoing mechanics work), whereas the audience will approach the character from the side of aesthetics (how the character makes them feel).

An interesting though experiment here can be had with an ongoing series. I am currently loving the characters in Idaten series ). It very much reminds me of early episodes of Soul Eater (and i half expect it to go downhill about as fast, but that's the problem for the future me :D). Would love to hear your comments on those.

I'm going to be honest here, the action was the biggest weakness of unORDINARY. There was so many different powers but everyone's fighting style was basically the same. Combat also did not change or evolve over the progress of fights. Uru-Chan also was rather unimaginative with the character's use of their powers.
This is all pretty much fine since the heart of the series was always the story and characters, but I think it would translate pretty poorly to anime. I also strongly suspect she's American (or at least a native English speaker) as her names are all very English (I've seen a lot of anime set in British or American style societies that still use Japanese names), and there are a lot of cultural aspects that only someone who's lived in a culturally English country would know. And then there's the characters which feel very culturally English. If she's not Japanese, the chances of a Japanese animation studio ever animating any of her content regardless of how popular it gets is next to nil.
I'm hopeful that at some point she will bring unORDINARY to a close and start an entirely new story - one that utilises all her experience working on unORDINARY that's a lot better quality in storytelling and art style (her art looks very average, I can only imagine it's from Webtoon's oppressive work schedules).

I agree that Webtoon remains a bit too much on the webcomic side of webcomic-manga spectrum. In that way, most works published there still need something like a decent manga adaptation before they become quality material for anime. In fact, the three webcomics that got an anime adaptation (Noblesse, God of Highschool and Tower of God) had a much more developed visual style behind them and improved their visuals much more in their early runs than Unordinary did.

I have no opinion on Unordinary fight scenes or the national status of Uru-chan. You are probably correct that the fight scenes are all kind of boring curbstomps with little depth or tactics to them, and i agree that Uru-chan seems like she might be a native english speaker, but you are also correct that neither has any bearing on the story.

Uru-chan seems like she still has some ideas for Unordinary, but i also get the sense that she is investing herself a bit too much into her own characters (which may lead to a burnout).
Well, the best i can do for her is buy early access to her comics and cheer her on in the comment section :D

This seems like a fun idea, so why don't we spend time identifying the flaws and possible solutions to Mahouka?
the first major flaw is the animation - not necessarily the quality of the frames themselves, but the fluidity of motion. Fights always tend to play out like a pokemon battle. One side will use their attack, the other will stay still until it's launched and then will either get hit or dodge, in which case it's their turn to attack. The prime example being this episode where the three girls were fighting armed assailants and I don't think they fired a single bullet the entire fight.

the way CADs are used in mahouka is also awful. The fights basically boil down to 17th century musket wars, where two sides line up and take turns activating their CADs at each other. If there was a better mix of quick-activation low damage spells and long activation high damage spells that could easily improve the fluidity and changeability of the combat.
The need to lengthen every CAD battle also can really harm the pacing. Sometimes quickdraw duels can be more entertaining than long and arduous battles (when set up correctly)

suffice to say the action is and always has been severely lacking in Mahouka, and no one would stop watching if the fight direction improved.

I'll start with that, feel free to chip in with your own thoughts and suggestions as well.

"Improving" means that you first identify the basis that is strong and then build on that, cutting away all the stuff that is weak. The process is not unlike caring for a bonsai tree :D

I do want to engage with your criticisms, but if you really want to think about improving Mahouka then we have to start with what you think actually works about it and can serve as a basis :D

So, without discarding the above criticisms, could you tell me some things that work about Mahouka for you? Then in my reply i address both your positives and your negatives (and will talk a bit about my positives and negatives, so we can compare).
Aug 1, 2021 10:13 AM

Feb 2014
Lesson of the day from this episode? Don't piss off Miyuki, especially when you try and attack her precious Onii-sama. XD

The pacing was sloppy, but the closure was good enough. Plus, the alone time between Miyuki and Tatsuya was nice, though. Tatsuya is a lucky man when Miyuki greets him after his training run dressed in that lovely outfit.

The post credit scene is building up the Nine School competition arc and we get to see three girls from 3rd high, who I believe was never shown in the main series. What I did like was the excellent fanservice scene with all three of them in the shower as they talked about 1st high. That's always an instant thumbs up from me. =P
Aug 1, 2021 10:50 AM

Oct 2017
Most of the episode was nothing new except from Miyuki pov but the few additional scenes were fine. Also it's entering the nine school competetion arc next and seems like we'll get to see some new characters there.
Aug 1, 2021 7:20 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
End of detective girls. Sad. Miyuki started rampaging at Blanche hideout. But, ofc onii-sama saved her ass again with his damn op regeneration power. Skipping much part at the enrollment arc kinda be a good idea. Because the more interesting part happen after that. Yeah, that's the nine school competition. Third High girls had a little introduction and its hyping me up. Lets go to the next week!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 1, 2021 11:02 PM
Apr 2021
malMaxi said:
theGodde said:

A possible solution for our text-losing woes could be typing them directly in something like google docs that are autosaved to the cloud.
I don't really think we need to go that far though :D
I've certainly considered it lmao

malMaxi said:

I don't think visual media is much worse about engaging the imagination, but it certainly engages a different kind of imagination. Where in reading books you need to supply your own pictures, in watching images you often need to supply your own worldbuilding and internal monologues :D

You are, obviously, correct that everyone trying to make the internal monologue happen on screen is kind of missing the point. With the exception being, obviously, JoJo, where the relationship between internal monologues and on-screen events is a bit more complex.

You kind of lose me at the notion of "beauty of text". I understand some verbal constructions can be exceptionally meaningful, certainly dealt with and appreciated my share of those, but "beauty" isn't the term i would use.[...] What i can appreciate in the context of "beauty" is some identifiable properties of text, such as a highly effective use of language. In fact, the best definition of poetry that i ever heard is "text that is impossible to translate into other languages without losing its complete meaning". I can also appreciate that text can be evocative, that is stimulating the processes of imagination.

However, i don't see how this helps in distinguishing what separates text from visual media in terms of their respective capabilities, as well as ability to adapt works from one medium into another. It might be tempting to say that text and visuals use different languages, but i find that the definition of term "language" get stretched a bit too thin once you start talking about things like "language of movies", to the where the entire concept of "visual language" starts looking like a false research target.

Obviously, there is stuff like color theory. In fact, visual design in general often seems to have some hard and fast rules that could pass for "language" if you don't think too hard about what language is. There is definitely something like language in animation, which is closer to music than anything written. But, just as it is best to view musical notation not as language, but as an entirely separate kind of phenomenon, so i think it is best to view the instruments of visual medium as a third completely separate category.

So, to me, the notion of beauty of text has more to do with beauty of language, but i don't find that notion really helpful in comparing texts to visuals, because relationship of visuals to language is much too unclear to begin with.

Still, the notion that the written word engages a completely different kind of imagination is interesting. I'll have to think a bit on what this actually entails, though.
I would agree with you that beauty probably wasn't the right terminology, I just wasn't sure how to express it. What you've said is pretty much exactly spot on to what I was trying to say.

The closest thing to the "Imagination" of books is filmic ambiguity. When something is intentionally ambiguous that leaves the viewer to imagine and hypothesise like they do in books. However when a film/graphic novel is labelled as "imaginative" it is not the audience's imagination it is referring to but the creative team. To me at least, books have always had a middle ground. The writer lays the foundation with poetic and visually evocative language, and the reader bridges this gap by conjuring this world in their minds. Each reader has a slightly different picture of the world they are reading and that is the beauty of books. No two people's experiences with the book will be the same because both of them have different perceptions and life experiences that shape how they imagine the world of the book.
This is why you see a lot of "novel supremacists" who claim that X movie will never be as good as X book - and this is because their imagination of the book's world will be different to the creative team's overall physical conception of the book's world. When a book is almost impossible to translate over to graphic novel/ movie without losing some of its appeal and complexity, that's when you know the book was "good".

malMaxi said:

I view this whole thing as USA playing catch-up to the creative model of Japan. For example, the current Idaten anime began as a webcomic, then got adapted into serialized manga (that's when it got the attention of business), and is now becoming an actual anime series.

Further along in this process are series like Demon Slayer and From the Abyss, which are actually generating their own movies. Which, incidentally, are mostly meaningless fanservice, the actual interesting content of which could easily fit in 1 good anime episode.

The impact of the whole thing on writing is "light-novelization". However, i was already reading light novels in 1990s (and saw entire libraries full of said light novels in houses of people who really liked them), so i can't really view it as anything truly new when it comes to the writing world.
In terms of the writing world, that's still a pretty recent development. And while I have no problem with LNs as a concept, I have become quite embittered with the effect it is starting to have on the writing world. Many friends who wanted to be writers have gone down the path of LNs rather than building up their skillset and writing proper well-written Novels. In a sense, this kind of cheap low brow writing should be seen in the context of the English language - a language that is rich and sophisticated. Writing in the same style as a text translated from Japanese which does not have the same level of diverse language is simply laziness. And so no matter of the quality of the story contained within an English LN, I feel it is always going to be inferior to an equally good story told with an intelligent and complex writing style. Simply because if it does not exhibit traits unique to that of a book, then what is the point of having it in book form? This rant however is more opinion than fact.

From watching both the Demon Slayer and Made in Abyss movies, I would say both would likely fit into 3-5 episodes, but your point remains. They had no reason to be movies - aside from the fact that movies have a different budget and pipeline, which usually means more time is spent in production. There is a benefit to anime movies - the creative team has more toys to play with. They also make significantly more money than televised anime.

malMaxi said:
The change in writing you describe i can't really view as "change".

Allow me to employ a grim metaphor in order to make my position the most clear it can be.

Imagine a dead body. A dead body is a dead body. And that doesn't change no matter how long said dead body lies unburied in the woods, exposed to the elements and undergoing various decomposition processes. Eventually, it will be just a skeleton, and that still wouldn't be "change". The change happened the moment the person died, everything else from that point on is not really "change" on any meaningful level. The next "change" will be when the skeleton itself becomes disassembled, but that takes either direct application of force, or prolonged exposure to various specific sorts of chemistry.

Let me recommend one of the few police procedurals i actually like that really puts that entire subject matter through the wringer :). It is called Bones and it is pretty good (for a status-quo go-nowhere perpetually-ongoing repressed-love crime comedy :D).
"He is a FBI officer with an interesting belt buckle, she is a forensic anthropologist too busy for his bullshit. Together, they fight crime!"

Back on topic, I maintain that the last big "change" in writing happened sometime between 1985 and 1995. Whether what happened since is "decomposition" or "progress" is a matter of opinion (but i'm leaning towards "decomposition").
What you are essentially saying is that the "death" was a nexus event - the only significant change to that metaphorical concept from that point onwards. I suppose in the context of your statements that would be the end of the Cold War or the beginning of the digital age. However I personally feel such a statement is incredibly reductive. Changes happen for multiple reasons - a massive cultural/technological shift, or perhaps a massively successful piece of media that popularised certain conventions over others (e.g: Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, the Hunger Games, Attack on Titan). Writing quality itself is difficult to judge aside from the very basic standards of plot, writing style, characters, tone, etc. so to me at least I would say it's very difficult to state any specific point as a "Nexus Event" aside from perhaps the birth of home cinema - the television or perhaps the advent of the digital age. Aside from that cultural shifts as a result of war do not necessarily improve writing quality objectively - although subjectively people who have seen more of the dark side of humanity have more interesting social commentary (IMO).

malMaxi said:
If I were to describe this in reality, it's the different between the statement from Batman Begins "It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" which is completely wrong and a terrible way of viewing humans and human actions. In reality "It's who I am that defines what I do"

I am not sure how wrong that way of viewing humans is. It is by their fruits that we know them, after all.

I will accept that this original Bible quote tells us specifically about identifying false prophets, applying it to characterization is a bit of a stretch :D. But you still do know a good character by impact he makes, and - more importantly - that's how the audience is going to view it. If you make a great character that has no impact... Well, you haven't made a good character :D (though here, once again, one needs to nod in the direction of JoJo's Speedwagon. In his case, being a character IS his impact).

The problem with Mahouka is that its characters lack impact, often being outright robbed of it by Mahouka's own plot. In fact, the recent episode of current show exemplifies it very well: Miyuki becoming a murderer was a nice touch and a great fertile ground for the whole "Miyuki is a monster" thing they had going on. However, they butchered the impact of this development through the use of Oniisan Ex Machina.

This, if you haven't noticed, is an example of a situation where previously made planning actually kills a character. So preplanning can be both good and bad.

The problem with characters in Mahouka is not that the authors didn't plan the personalities of the characters. It is that they planned those personalities so badly that they rendered blind to or unable to meet all the characterization opportunities the ongoing story provides them.

I believe the best way to view the disconnect in our positions here is by referencing a game design concept called MDA (mechanics, dynamics, aesthetics). You can easily google it, it is not a hard thing to grasp at all (the original paper was like 10 pages). Point is, you as a craftsman approach the character from the side of mechanics (and are trying to get the underlying mechanics right to make sure the ongoing mechanics work), whereas the audience will approach the character from the side of aesthetics (how the character makes them feel).
Yes impact/execution is essential, however no matter if you improved all the characterisation individually, unless you united it under the general characterisation that you yourself have developed for a character.

A popular analogy for worldbuilding is the iceberg analogy. Good world building tricks the audience into thinking there is more to the world than just the ice visible above the surface. In the same way, writing good characters is all about making the audience feel like there is more to the character than simply the actions they display on screen. They are not a robot that has been programmed to execute a series of actions, and then remains motionless until the next scene they appear in the story - they have to feel like they have a life and a personality. And the only way to do that is to create an identity for a character that transcends what is merely shown in the story.

Yes, we interact with the character through their actions, but the true magic of characterisation is making the reader feel like there's more to the character than just their actions. Their actions do not define them, their identity defines their actions - which in turn is how we learn about the characters. From a consumerist point of view, yes their actions define their identity to the audience. However from a creator/producer's point of view the character has to be more than just their decisions in order to be well written.

You have in fact already admitted to this yourself - mayuki is a mess because she didn't have a believable personality to inspire her actions.

Either way I'll take a look at MDA lmao.

malMaxi said:
An interesting though experiment here can be had with an ongoing series. I am currently loving the characters in Idaten series ). It very much reminds me of early episodes of Soul Eater (and i half expect it to go downhill about as fast, but that's the problem for the future me :D). Would love to hear your comments on those.
I too have really enjoyed Idaten so far. It's a perfect dumb battle seinen in the fact that all the world building and characters are designed in such a way that "the fat has been trimmed off the bone" - so to say. Since they're all Gods, there's no need for any of the boring dumb things that weigh down a normal battle series - like recovering from injuries, living normal lives, or anything that's not in service of the main plot. The characters are also equally designed around different aspects of battle. Their motivation and drive is naturally incorporated into the main plot without any need for backstories. Their very existences are to destroy demons, so there's no need setting up motivations for them to fight their enemies.

The art style is also vivid and unique, and the animation is really good. The music is pretty good as well (but man that intro visual sequence felt weird and kinda creepy lmao).

malMaxi said:
I agree that Webtoon remains a bit too much on the webcomic side of webcomic-manga spectrum. In that way, most works published there still need something like a decent manga adaptation before they become quality material for anime. In fact, the three webcomics that got an anime adaptation (Noblesse, God of Highschool and Tower of God) had a much more developed visual style behind them and improved their visuals much more in their early runs than Unordinary did.

I have no opinion on Unordinary fight scenes or the national status of Uru-chan. You are probably correct that the fight scenes are all kind of boring curbstomps with little depth or tactics to them, and i agree that Uru-chan seems like she might be a native english speaker, but you are also correct that neither has any bearing on the story.

Uru-chan seems like she still has some ideas for Unordinary, but i also get the sense that she is investing herself a bit too much into her own characters (which may lead to a burnout).
Well, the best i can do for her is buy early access to her comics and cheer her on in the comment section :D
yeah fair enough. I tend to read a lot of those higher end webcomics, such as Legend of the Northern Blade and the webcomic adaptation of Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint, both of which are very technically competent works obviously possessing small teams of experienced members from the industry.
I am apprehensive about how much she can actually grow under the webtoon system - it might be a lot better for her artistic (and probably economic) development to get a stable job in the animation industry learning alongside professionals.

that aside, I think I'll do a separate post about the strengths and weaknesses of mahouka, as I don't want to lose another massive post lmao.
theGoddeAug 1, 2021 11:06 PM
Aug 2, 2021 4:07 AM
Aug 2021
theGodde said:
that aside, I think I'll do a separate post about the strengths and weaknesses of mahouka, as I don't want to lose another massive post lmao.

As someone who has read through all the discussions between you and malMaxi, I just want to mention that most of your points of complain about Mahouka are either non-existent or handled better in the original light novel series. So it's actually pointless to try to judge the author or the quality of the series based on its anime adaptations that are heavily criticized by the readers for butchering the source material. There's a reason we find people greatly changing their opinion about Mahouka after reading the novel.

With that being said, if we're strictly talking about the Mahouka anime alone, I do agree with you on a lot of things because the anime adaptations have done a really poor job at putting flesh on the bones so far. There's anime out there that make the source material look many times better than it really is, and then there's anime like Mahouka's that give a really wrong impression about the source material to anime-onlys.

In any case, I'm still looking forward to the discussion between you two. Like I said, I only wanted to mention something that was being totally overlooked when judging the strengths and weaknesses of Mahouka. Unless you read the LN to see the whole picture, the discussion should be limited to the quality and strengths and weakness of the anime alone. After all, questioning, doubting, or determining the capability of the author based on anime adaptations that poorly present their work would be very ignorant and disrespectful to say the least.

P.S.: Even the anime adaptation of this spin-off series, that has a different author than the one from the main series, is being altered and abridged. A lot of new content has been left out to 'somehow' adapt 11 volumes worth of manga content with just 13 episodes. It couldn't be more obvious at this point that Mahouka's anime adaptations are a very unreliable source to judge the series as a whole.
Aug 2, 2021 4:20 AM
Apr 2021
Symons1m said:
theGodde said:

As someone who has read through all the discussions between you and malMaxi, I just want to mention that most of your points of complain about Mahouka are either non-existent or handled better in the original light novel series. So it's actually pointless to try to judge the author or the quality of the series based on its anime adaptations that are heavily criticized by the readers for butchering the source material. There's a reason we find people greatly changing their opinion about Mahouka after reading the novel.

With that being said, if we're strictly talking about the Mahouka anime alone, I do agree with you on a lot of things because the anime adaptations have done a really poor job at putting flesh on the bones so far. There's anime out there that make the source material look many times better than it really is, and then there's anime like Mahouka's that give a really wrong impression about the source material to anime-onlys.

In any case, I'm still looking forward to the discussion between you two. Like I said, I only wanted to mention something that was being totally overlooked when judging the strengths and weaknesses of Mahouka. Unless you read the LN to see the whole picture, the discussion should be limited to the quality and strengths and weakness of the anime alone. After all, questioning, doubting, or determining the capability of the author based on anime adaptations that poorly present their work would be very ignorant and disrespectful to say the least.

P.S.: Even the anime adaptation of this spin-off series, that has a different author than the one from the main series, is being altered and abridged. A lot of new content has been left out to 'somehow' adapt 11 volumes worth of manga content with just 13 episodes. It couldn't be more obvious at this point that Mahouka's anime adaptations are a very unreliable source to judge the series as a whole.
fair enough
my biggest gripe by far is the animation, which as you mentioned before has nothing on the original work. The general feeling of the entire Mahouka animated franchise is very lazy and uninspired, and like both malMaxi and I have stated many times, the connective tissue of the first season is pretty strong. It feels like there's a good story hidden underneath, so I wouldn't be surprised if that good story had simply been buried by poor direction, lifeless dialogue, terrible script and low production value
Aug 2, 2021 4:52 AM
Aug 2021
theGodde said:

my biggest gripe by far is the animation, which as you mentioned before has nothing on the original work. The general feeling of the entire Mahouka animated franchise is very lazy and uninspired, and like both malMaxi and I have stated many times, the connective tissue of the first season is pretty strong. It feels like there's a good story hidden underneath, so I wouldn't be surprised if that good story had simply been buried by poor direction, lifeless dialogue, terrible script and low production value

Glad to see you got my point. And yes, it's mainly the things you mentioned that buried the good story anime-onlys could have enjoyed. Though it's certainly true that the author needs to do better when it comes to dialogue, they're nowhere as lacking as one might think from only watching the anime.
Symons1mAug 2, 2021 5:01 AM
Aug 3, 2021 9:47 AM
Aug 2018
I dont know I want more Miyuki screen time this a show as Miyuki should be in the center.

In ep was Miyuki in the center but the spion part in ep3-4 I dont stand why they could ask Miyuki to help them?

Put overal this is a good spinoff and this ep was good. 4/5 I was to quick when I voited I voited 5/5 but nah 4/5 are a more good raiting for this ep.

I hope we get more screen time with Miyuki and sometime maybe a new ´´Miyuki as can contorl her power when someone are bad against Tatsuya.

I want more ´´Onisama parts to. Also they show another Miyuki from the mine series. One other thing I want in this series are may more Miyuki parts with the other grils in her class.
Aug 8, 2021 1:14 AM
Jan 2019
theGodde said:
I would agree with you that beauty probably wasn't the right terminology, I just wasn't sure how to express it. What you've said is pretty much exactly spot on to what I was trying to say.

The closest thing to the "Imagination" of books is filmic ambiguity. When something is intentionally ambiguous that leaves the viewer to imagine and hypothesise like they do in books. However when a film/graphic novel is labelled as "imaginative" it is not the audience's imagination it is referring to but the creative team. To me at least, books have always had a middle ground. The writer lays the foundation with poetic and visually evocative language, and the reader bridges this gap by conjuring this world in their minds. Each reader has a slightly different picture of the world they are reading and that is the beauty of books. No two people's experiences with the book will be the same because both of them have different perceptions and life experiences that shape how they imagine the world of the book.
This is why you see a lot of "novel supremacists" who claim that X movie will never be as good as X book - and this is because their imagination of the book's world will be different to the creative team's overall physical conception of the book's world. When a book is almost impossible to translate over to graphic novel/ movie without losing some of its appeal and complexity, that's when you know the book was "good".

I like the notion that the thing that makes a book good as specifically a book is that which can't be translated to other media. That being said, this seems to have little import in our discussion. In the end, the reverse is also true - what makes visual or auditory media good is that which can't be translated into other media (say, novelized).

Regarding the imagination bit, do note that i didn't use the term "imaginative" (which, indeed, has more to do with the author), but rather the term "evocative", which is specifically aimed at the reader/viewer. The most enjoyable thing about Mahouka to me at this point is not its overt text and visuals, but rather the things these make me think about. I enjoy the same effect from a great deal of other shows (currently ongoing examples being Realist Hero and Idaten).

Do remember that this entire discussion has been evoked by Mahouka :D

In terms of the writing world, that's still a pretty recent development. And while I have no problem with LNs as a concept, I have become quite embittered with the effect it is starting to have on the writing world. Many friends who wanted to be writers have gone down the path of LNs rather than building up their skillset and writing proper well-written Novels. In a sense, this kind of cheap low brow writing should be seen in the context of the English language - a language that is rich and sophisticated. Writing in the same style as a text translated from Japanese which does not have the same level of diverse language is simply laziness. And so no matter of the quality of the story contained within an English LN, I feel it is always going to be inferior to an equally good story told with an intelligent and complex writing style. Simply because if it does not exhibit traits unique to that of a book, then what is the point of having it in book form? This rant however is more opinion than fact.

From watching both the Demon Slayer and Made in Abyss movies, I would say both would likely fit into 3-5 episodes, but your point remains. They had no reason to be movies - aside from the fact that movies have a different budget and pipeline, which usually means more time is spent in production. There is a benefit to anime movies - the creative team has more toys to play with. They also make significantly more money than televised anime.

I agree with all of the above, including the notion that written text is much more capable of delivering explicit meaning than visuals or audio. I also agree that the current market trends put a premium on texts that attempt delivering not explicit meaning, but rather rather crude emotion, which inevitably robs writing of its true advantage over visual and sound media.

Our only difference is that what you call "recent" i have observed since the 1990s. And what you view as the influence of markets, i view as a rather direct consequence of a significant shift in ideas that power the writing medium.

What you are essentially saying is that the "death" was a nexus event - the only significant change to that metaphorical concept from that point onwards. I suppose in the context of your statements that would be the end of the Cold War or the beginning of the digital age. However I personally feel such a statement is incredibly reductive. Changes happen for multiple reasons - a massive cultural/technological shift, or perhaps a massively successful piece of media that popularised certain conventions over others (e.g: Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, the Hunger Games, Attack on Titan). Writing quality itself is difficult to judge aside from the very basic standards of plot, writing style, characters, tone, etc. so to me at least I would say it's very difficult to state any specific point as a "Nexus Event" aside from perhaps the birth of home cinema - the television or perhaps the advent of the digital age. Aside from that cultural shifts as a result of war do not necessarily improve writing quality objectively - although subjectively people who have seen more of the dark side of humanity have more interesting social commentary (IMO).

I feel that the resolution of Cold War was the result, among other things, of USSR being unprepared for the digital age. Or rather, not specifically digital age, but more broadly the age of non-text media. Culturally speaking, USSR was already over in the 86, when every more-or-less well-to-do Soviet family necessarily had a video player with a collection of the best Hollywood VHS tapes (and also a few tapes with decent russian cartoons and movies, which only served to underscore the relative volume and quality of Hollywood's output). The specific way this happened is a completely fascinating story in itself and just goes to show how you don't need digital to have virus media (as well as how actually lethal that virus can be).

So yeah, i think the advent of media culture is the nexus event (to which both the end of Cold War and the advent of digital media are just accessories, even if important ones).

Yes impact/execution is essential, however no matter if you improved all the characterisation individually, unless you united it under the general characterisation that you yourself have developed for a character.

A popular analogy for worldbuilding is the iceberg analogy. Good world building tricks the audience into thinking there is more to the world than just the ice visible above the surface. In the same way, writing good characters is all about making the audience feel like there is more to the character than simply the actions they display on screen. They are not a robot that has been programmed to execute a series of actions, and then remains motionless until the next scene they appear in the story - they have to feel like they have a life and a personality. And the only way to do that is to create an identity for a character that transcends what is merely shown in the story.

Yes, we interact with the character through their actions, but the true magic of characterisation is making the reader feel like there's more to the character than just their actions. Their actions do not define them, their identity defines their actions - which in turn is how we learn about the characters. From a consumerist point of view, yes their actions define their identity to the audience. However from a creator/producer's point of view the character has to be more than just their decisions in order to be well written.

You have in fact already admitted to this yourself - mayuki is a mess because she didn't have a believable personality to inspire her actions.

Either way I'll take a look at MDA lmao.

We have mostly agreed here, right down to Miyuki's character being held back by the apparently bad plan of the author.

The salient difference is this: you seem to think that a bad plan has doomed the character from the start, whereas i'm of the opinion that no plan survives contact with the enemy (or, in case of writing, interaction with the reader) and therefore a plan is only as good as the execution it is given.

I agree that it is incredibly hard to have good execution without a plan, so there is certainly a symbiotic relationship between the two. I also agree that the approach where you first have a plan and then pursue impact, as opposed to other way around, has a higher rate of success. However, another thing i observe is that you often run out of plans with none of them working. And then, trying out random impact scenes until something smells like a new plan is the only way forward.

Here is a youtube channel, where the big initial plan was: have one animation a day, no matter what. It is fun to observe various plans (and characters) emerge and get tossed aside in that process: www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF-mZuuKlKM&list=PLpS_5nOXN3i5Xr2usffaKYTlqVwt2E-N3

I too have really enjoyed Idaten so far. It's a perfect dumb battle seinen in the fact that all the world building and characters are designed in such a way that "the fat has been trimmed off the bone" - so to say. Since they're all Gods, there's no need for any of the boring dumb things that weigh down a normal battle series - like recovering from injuries, living normal lives, or anything that's not in service of the main plot. The characters are also equally designed around different aspects of battle. Their motivation and drive is naturally incorporated into the main plot without any need for backstories. Their very existences are to destroy demons, so there's no need setting up motivations for them to fight their enemies.

The art style is also vivid and unique, and the animation is really good. The music is pretty good as well (but man that intro visual sequence felt weird and kinda creepy lmao).

Idaten confused me for the first two episodes. Or rather, i couldn't believe that something exhibiting this much audio and visual style could be so empty idea-wise or so formulaic. I enjoyed the spectacle, but i can't say i enjoyed the story.

Episode three was when it clicked for me. The story of Nickel wrapped into the story of Rin wrapped into the story of God-Human-Demon relationship is fascinating. The character of Nickel is an extremely well executed, serving as an amazing vehicle for everyone's characterization. Among other things, Nickel facilitates the outright trascendent character development for Rin. As far as i'm concerned, episode 3 completely bridges the gap between the experience of being an Idaten and our mundane human experience, making not just Rin, but also everyone in the show completely relatable on a human level.

Episode 4, in that regard, is actually kind of disappointing, but I'm sort of hoping they are building towards a next new high.

yeah fair enough. I tend to read a lot of those higher end webcomics, such as Legend of the Northern Blade and the webcomic adaptation of Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint, both of which are very technically competent works obviously possessing small teams of experienced members from the industry.
I am apprehensive about how much she can actually grow under the webtoon system - it might be a lot better for her artistic (and probably economic) development to get a stable job in the animation industry learning alongside professionals.

Well, everyone has to make their own choices :)
What Uru-chan needs is something like an agent, i guess. Someone that would push her forward in terms of business opportunities and connections while she is focusing on her craft.

Seeing as how a week passed and no post happened, let me just say that you don't need to make it massive and you don't even need to justify your position :). Just make a list - however short - of things you'd like to keep in Mahouka because you believe they actually work.
malMaxiAug 8, 2021 1:24 AM
Aug 20, 2021 4:35 AM

Aug 2017
The pacing was a bit fast somtimes but I like it. they finished the arc in this episode and it was ok.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 17, 2021 11:13 AM

May 2020
This episode has the same plot and telling the missing part in season one but in different protagonist. Good choice, I like the trio detective girl.
Feb 4, 2022 2:27 AM

Mar 2013
Eimi mowing down the terrorists is so kawaii! 😍😍

Such heartwarming episode.
CrazyButNot4UFeb 4, 2022 3:04 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 27, 2022 10:40 AM

Mar 2019
I know I should be expecting more focus on Miyuki even if not everything she says is canon but I really didn't enjoy the extra scenes with her, lol.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Nov 29, 2022 11:48 AM

Apr 2013
Nine schools competition with new characters sounds good, I don't remember that happening in the first season. Though that might be just my bad memory.
Aug 20, 2023 1:00 PM

Nov 2010
Eimi, in action, is hot and badass!

I don't remember seeing those hotties in the main series, especially Airi. Are they being retconned into the story? I'm not complaining. I want to see more of Airi. Good fanservice. I love her sexy body, and I want to lick her armpit!

More topics from this board

» Should I skip this or it's canon

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 8

11 by Dr_Harem_VII »»
Apr 12, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2021

39 by MiaAyende »»
Mar 10, 11:32 PM

» What does this cover ? No Spoilers

xnub - Aug 24, 2023

7 by baymaxemon »»
Jan 8, 11:55 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2021

24 by GooseHybrid »»
Nov 1, 2023 7:38 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

38 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 21, 2023 9:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.