Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2021 12:59 PM

Oct 2020
Thorf said:
Skipping this because pandora hearts was so bad it's one of the only manga I ever dropped. Also don't like gay bait.
Cool, you said this is Gay bait without even reading or watching it smh, btw thanks for taking your time to drop by here.
Jul 2, 2021 1:00 PM

Jun 2021
Not a bad episode 1

Hanae and Ishikawa as double MC feels kind of generic, but the great animation by Bones will likely keep me invested. Plot for episode 1 was OK, but since it's a 2 cour show, I'll be patient with it.

Feels strange to see a show directed by Itamura that's not by Shaft, but hopefully this show comes through.
Jul 2, 2021 1:00 PM

Apr 2016
As a manga reader, this episode made me really happy. They didn't make major changes, and the visuals were incredible. Especially in the scenes with Vanitas's tale, at the start. The crayon style suited this part so well and made everything more interesting. The VA's also did a wonderful job! I wasn't trusting Hanae Natsuki so much, but he is really Vanitas in this first episode. I can't wait for the next ones
Jul 2, 2021 1:02 PM

Oct 2019
It felt all over the place. The transitions between serious and comedic moments were nonexistent. I hope the next episode is better cuz I really want to like this show.
Jul 2, 2021 1:12 PM
Oct 2018
They are really pushing the NxV ship in this episode...No subtlety whatsoever, it's kinda funny
Jul 2, 2021 1:16 PM

Mar 2020
Thorf said:
Skipping this because pandora hearts was so bad it's one of the only manga I ever dropped. Also don't like gay bait.
Imagine dropping pandora hearts at chapter 4.Its like you didnt even taste the story considering what it basically is. In any case its not BL gay bait..I dont know whats wrong with people
And vanitas is definately better then most shows this year atleast.(If they keep the quality of the manga)
234MannanJul 2, 2021 1:40 PM
Jul 2, 2021 1:18 PM

Mar 2020
LenaRozali said:
They are really pushing the NxV ship in this episode...No subtlety whatsoever, it's kinda funny
Please there are already canon ladies for the 2 boys..In any case both vanitas and noe are quite wholesome
Jul 2, 2021 1:22 PM

Sep 2018

Strongest start of the Summer so far...

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jul 2, 2021 1:25 PM

May 2020
This was actually pretty interesting ngl.

I expect this to be one of the big anime this season.
Jul 2, 2021 1:26 PM
May 2021
It’s already the first episode, but I can already tell people are going to ship Vanitas and Noé together.
Jul 2, 2021 1:28 PM
Feb 2020
234Mannan said:
Thorf said:
Imagine dropping pandora hearts at chapter 4.Its like you didnt even taste the story considering what it basically is. In any case its not BL gay bait..I dont know whats wrong with people
And vanitas is definately better then most shows in this season atleast.

bruh only like 4 shows aired yet
Jul 2, 2021 1:30 PM
Oct 2018
234Mannan said:
LenaRozali said:
Please there are already canon ladies for the 2 boys..In any case both vanitas and noe are quite wholesome

It's not like the manga didn't have enough ship-tease between them. But they kinda overdid it in the OP and ED. And yeah, they are both adorkable :D
Jul 2, 2021 1:39 PM

Mar 2020
SenseiC_ said:
234Mannan said:
And vanitas is definately better then most shows in this season atleast.

bruh only like 4 shows aired yet
My bad I meant the year not this specific season
Jul 2, 2021 1:40 PM

Mar 2020
LenaRozali said:
234Mannan said:

It's not like the manga didn't have enough ship-tease between them. But they kinda overdid it in the OP and ED. And yeah, they are both adorkable :D
Well yeah thats actually kinda true
Jul 2, 2021 1:46 PM

Sep 2017
Decent enough start. Don't hate either of the mains and the concept is interesting enough. Hopefully turns out pretty good.
Jul 2, 2021 1:58 PM

Jan 2019
Looks a lot more like a Shaft show than a Bones one. Doesn't seem like this one got much of a budget from how it looks sadly
Jul 2, 2021 2:12 PM

Oct 2016
foretold said:
Looks a lot more like a Shaft show than a Bones one. Doesn't seem like this one got much of a budget from how it looks sadly

Not sure why you'd think that. This production has a ton of big names, the background art is painstakingly gorgeous, and the animation is pretty standard from Bones adaptations despite the high line mileage for each character. The pacing is also pretty good since it's sticking closely with the source material. The Shaft influence from Itamura is evidently an aesthetic choice rather than a monetary one. Obviously this is no Violet Evergarden but it's still one of the prettier adaptations out there.
Jul 2, 2021 2:12 PM
Oct 2020
I was just mesmerised by Vanitas' earring.
Jul 2, 2021 2:13 PM

Jan 2020
Great pilot. The OST is very nice, animation is good, stills of Vanitas look impeccable. Interesting premise.

I can see people not being fans of it because it'll most likely be episodic, but I personally love that. So I'm in for a treat.

Unlike many people here, I very much disliked Pandora Hearts, but this is, fortunately, way better.
Ellenwitch said:
Already a dozen times better than noblesse lol.

FACTS!
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jul 2, 2021 2:19 PM

Apr 2016
samashi20 said:
Great pilot. The OST is very nice, animation is good, stills of Vanitas look impeccable. Interesting premise.

I can see people not being fans of it because it'll most likely be episodic, but I personally love that. So I'm in for a treat.

Unlike many people here, I very much disliked Pandora Hearts, but this is, fortunately, way better.
Ellenwitch said:

FACTS!

It isn't going to be episodic. After this first introduction arc, the story progresses as you would expect from a linear anime, with well-defined arcs and everything.
Jul 2, 2021 2:42 PM

Jan 2010
I read the first few chapters of the manga before watching this, so I knew what to expect.
Pretty solid episode. No surprises that the first ep only adapted ch.1 of the manga. Ch.1 was pretty long, and had a pretty solid beginning, middle and end, with a lot of info to take in, so I think it's good that they only adapted one chapter. Luckily this anime is two cours.

my one complaint is that I'm really not a fan of Vanita's VA rn. Will take a while to get used to. In the manga, Vanitas is so chaotoc and unhinged, yet his VA here has hardly any range to match his outlandish personality. imo I don't think it's the right fit

I also hope the discussion threads aren't toxic af like this thread already is with homphobes complaining about fujoshis and the Vanitas x Noe ship. Like if if it bothers you that much then stfu and don't comment in these threads. easy as that. I've never understood why these dudes take it so personally.

Just let people who who they want to ship, and even if there are canon romances, that's not gonna stop fans from shipping who they want to ship. It's always been this way with anime fandom, but some refuse to accept that.

it is amusing how the OP and ED feeds into the shipping fuel for Vanitas and Noe tho haha.
giveup-the-ghostJul 2, 2021 2:55 PM
Jul 2, 2021 2:46 PM

Feb 2020
Pretty decent episode, nothing amazing but I'll come back for ep 2. Quick question though, if Vanitas is a human then how did he survive falling off the ship? Lol or are we just not supposed to think about it
Jul 2, 2021 2:47 PM

Dec 2014
When the ED played, the first thing I thought was "Why isn't Vanitas voiced by Jun Fukuyama?" He is such a FukuJun character. xD

Pretty solid premiere, the premise seems interesting but I kinda wish the lore was explained a little bit more detail. Felt like they glossed over too much and expected us to gain an instinctive understanding for what happened despite using some fancy terms.

I loved the shot of them falling down with Noe looking at the blue moon.

Production seems solid, I have faith in Bones so I will look forward to more. Hopefully it turns out to be good.
Jul 2, 2021 2:53 PM
Sep 2019
Oh god the comedy…what is with female mangaka and god awful Chibi comedy?
Jul 2, 2021 2:57 PM
Jul 2018
I love the steampunk setting, it feels cozy to me ig :P
The character designs are all very cool, my fav char rn is Vanitas cuz of his personality
I loved the fight scene too b/w Vanitas and noé
Jul 2, 2021 3:01 PM

Apr 2016
ponpokorin said:
Pretty decent episode, nothing amazing but I'll come back for ep 2. Quick question though, if Vanitas is a human then how did he survive falling off the ship? Lol or are we just not supposed to think about it

Tbh, we are just not supposed to think about it lmao

Lelouch0202 said:

Pretty solid premiere, the premise seems interesting but I kinda wish the lore was explained a little bit more detail. Felt like they glossed over too much and expected us to gain an instinctive understanding for what happened despite using some fancy terms.

The lore is explained better as the story progresses. It's like: each arc reveals a bit more in terms of world-building.

Kazzann said:
Oh god the comedy…what is with female mangaka and god awful Chibi comedy?

Some of the chibis actually weren't in the manga and were added in the anime.
Jul 2, 2021 3:07 PM

Mar 2020
samashi20 said:

Ellenwitch said:

FACTS!
No wonder since u watched the anime for pandora hearts .frankly the anime adaptation is quite bad..It doesnt cover the story and introduces us to the world but not even in a proper manner..(COnsidering the complexity of the world and everything) The manga is waaaay better and pandora hearts is a story which makes sense in every way possible in the end so i would urge you to read the manga. It will certainly change your opinion considering pandora hearts was nt given a quality adaptation in comparison to vanitas. Also the pandora hearts fans here are basically the fans of the manga not the anime. As a Huge fan of Pandora hearts series myself, i too hate the Pandora hearts anime but the manga is literally the best hidden gem out there
234MannanJul 2, 2021 3:21 PM
Jul 2, 2021 3:09 PM

Mar 2020
ponpokorin said:
I think it was obvious that Noe saved him..Noe jumped and vanitas made a comment regarding the landing and all.. Also its supernatural..
Jul 2, 2021 3:13 PM

Jul 2020
Very good first episode. I love the music especially the opening theme song. Also has a great art style to it too.
I love Pandora Hearts so hopefully it's just as good.
Jul 2, 2021 3:16 PM

Feb 2020
234Mannan said:
ponpokorin said:
I think it was obvious that Noe saved him..Noe jumped and vanitas made a comment regarding the landing and all.. Also its supernatural..

Yeah Noe grabbed him but they still both crashed through the church roof and I think Vanitas made a hole in the floor lol. Unless I saw it wrong. it's fine if it's just a thing you're supposed to ignore, I just thought it was funny
Jul 2, 2021 3:17 PM

Dec 2012
The op theme is so good can't wait for it to be out on Spotify. Also both the op and the focused so much on Noe and Vanitas it's like the other characters aren't that important, but I liked that it's a different take from the usual shounen opening that throws in all the characters (ones which are just episodic or not that relevant).
It'll will take some time for me to get used to Kageyama's VA being Noe also, since I've always imagined Noe having some kind of voice that is not... Kags lol (no offence Ishikawa)
Jul 2, 2021 3:18 PM

Mar 2020
ponpokorin said:
234Mannan said:

Yeah Noe grabbed him but they still both crashed through the church roof and I think Vanitas made a hole in the floor lol. Unless I saw it wrong. it's fine if it's just a thing you're supposed to ignore, I just thought it was funny
Well yeah..Noe is a vampire and the reason why he made that hole and survived the landing is basically a spoiler. Well u will find it soon enough.
Jul 2, 2021 3:19 PM
Jul 2020
It looks cool and everything but that comedy uh, idk if im only one but when they turn into the chibi style thing and they are trying to be funny its so fricken cringe, i hope it will get better, but ye not counting this i think pretty solid 1st episode
Jul 2, 2021 3:32 PM

Oct 2012
Mediocre at best. The music, the comedy, and the two MC's themselves seemed so off beat somehow.

Guess I'll leave the drop decision for epiosde 2

Jul 2, 2021 3:37 PM

Oct 2019
nice OP loved it and great start..but the end made me sad
Jul 2, 2021 3:50 PM

Mar 2021
234Mannan said:
ponpokorin said:

Well yeah..Noe is a vampire and the reason why he made that hole and survived the landing is basically a spoiler. Well u will find it soon enough.

I am a manga reader nad i am still dont know why. Can you explain me with spoiler tag?

Jul 2, 2021 3:56 PM
Mar 2019
For those who aren't familiar with the mangaka's work; She has a tendency to introduce terms and characters without fully elaborating upon them at the time of their introduction. I personally think this is good, because taking the time to explain all of these things as the action is happening would really bog down the narrative. All of the terms, such as "chasseur" are extremely relevant to the story and are introduced in further detail as it progresses. There is nothing shown in this first episode that isn't relevant later on.
Jul 2, 2021 4:01 PM
Jun 2015
Welp. My interest was good, up until the end. They literally just foreshadowed the ending and made this entire series pointless to watch. So Vanitas will die meaning whatever suspense those two have will be brushed off till the end of the series. Such a shame. 0/10
Jul 2, 2021 5:09 PM

Sep 2015
As a manga reader, this episode definitely did not disappoint, although as usual my mind went overboard analysing everything, so I could definitely point out a few nitpicks of mine. One of the bigger ones being the abrupt change between a few of the scenes (especially between comedy and serious scenes). Others are very small details that would have made some scenes just a tiny bit better if they'd have adapted that as well (Noé felt very stoic in the beginning of the episode, compared to the manga for this reason).
However, I absolutely loved the animation, the voice acting and the music; they were all phenomenal so far! It's a joy to see it all animated, and I definitely look forward to seeing the story unfold again, this time in anime form.

(Also, that "huh?!" from Vanitas as Noé threw up Amelia into the air during their fight was prizeless, and the best part about the episode in my opinion.)
Jul 2, 2021 5:12 PM
Aug 2018
NO SPOILERS FOR THE MANGA

Holy shit. That was amazing!!! Perfect!! It felt a bit like I was watching Madoka Madoka Magica, and also a bit of Mekaku City Actors, which makes no sense bc the studio for those was shaft? not bones? But it’s good and the action scenes are better so like, carry on. Between the amazing but weird planes of camera which suits so well this story, and the soundtrack maximizing every single emotion it was riveting and I’ve reread the first chapter of the manga so many times I’ve lost count.

Gods, and the voice actor for Vanitas was really good? Like it was just listening to him for the first time and going, omg that’s totally him!!! Liked Noé too, but it wasn’t that visceral approval xD Also how it visually presented both charas, but especially Vanitas (that first scene with his eye and then little by llittle showing his body until he appears full on screen??? masterclass) was really really good, to the point it had to have been a surprise to the people who have no idea of the manga when he said he was human and that’s exactly the point. But also, Vanitas aesthetics slaps and it’s full of foreshadowing so it makes sense fo the camera to love him so much. Not that Noé wasn’t also gorgeous, going between ultra cool and cute dork as easy as breathing xD (Also, his scene as a little kid??? perfect)

It was structured really well too?? All that needed to happen, happened and I believe they did a fantastic job of adapting the first chapter (I think it was a bit of the second too). Also Amelia whole secuence and her malnomen were lovely. You could see in Noé just how important it was for him that first moment when he realised what Vanitas had done ;_; Just, watching their sinergy in screen when the manga it’s like THAT right now makes me nostalgic for those first chapters when we had no idea of where the story would go and we were all supresing that part of “I would kill him with my own two hands” at the end of chapter one.Also is it me, or did they change a bit of the flashbacks shown in that secuency? hum, i’ll have to go back bit by bit to that part of the episode with the manga on hand to compare...

Also, is it me or are they... Really putting front and center on the op and ed Vani and Noé’s relationship?? I’m so happy xD It’s really central to the manga, so it makes sense but it feels a bit shippy too, whic they also are in the manga so I guess it’s good? XD Gonna have to read lyrics to both songs, I have a feeling the ed will be full of shipping goodness. I guess in the second op and ed we’re going to have the full cast of charas!!

Overall? 10/10 gods this anime is gonna be fantastic!!! Welcome, newbies to the fandom!!! This is gonna be an amazing ride.
Jul 2, 2021 5:15 PM
Mar 2019
Solid first episode. The ED tho omg 🔥🤦🏾‍♂️
Jul 2, 2021 5:22 PM
Feb 2021
shane_nichols said:
Welp. My interest was good, up until the end. They literally just foreshadowed the ending and made this entire series pointless to watch. So Vanitas will die meaning whatever suspense those two have will be brushed off till the end of the series. Such a shame. 0/10

Right, and there's no stakes in Naruto because we know he's gonna be Hokage, or One Piece because Luffy's gonna be the Pirate King.

Just because you know how the story's gonna end doesn't invalidate the journey that gets us there.
Jul 2, 2021 5:25 PM
Oct 2017
shane_nichols said:

First things first, the anime excluded parts of dialogue that had Vanitas saying "I won't die, Noe, even if I'm no longer here" and Noe saying specifically that "At the end of it all, I would kill him with my own two hands" which, yes, means that Vanitas will die by Noe's hands, but we do not know the way in which he dies or the reason Noe kills him or if he even is in his right mind.
We also know that Noe is narrating the events of the story in his own perspective which can set up a case of an unreliable narrator. There is also the possibility of the story continuing from there.
Also, one of the main characters dying doesn't autonatically take away all of the tension from a certain series, there are many more ways an interesting conflict can be developed from there, especially when done by someone who knows what they're doing.
Then again, this is just speculation of how this is going to go down, and if I know one thing from Jun Mochizuki works is that predicting what is going to happen is simply impossible.
Well, regardless of that, if this show is not your cup of tea then I understand, you're not required to like something just because other people do, and this is only meant to clear up any misunderstandings you might have about the series.
Anyway, have a nice day
Jul 2, 2021 5:31 PM

Jul 2019
What a amazing start to a series. Full of thrilling animation and intriguing characterization.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jul 2, 2021 5:50 PM
Jun 2015
MugenNoShirayuki said:
shane_nichols said:

Right, and there's no stakes in Naruto because we know he's gonna be Hokage, or One Piece because Luffy's gonna be the Pirate King.

Just because you know how the story's gonna end doesn't invalidate the journey that gets us there.
It kinda does because everything doesn't matter till the end that to being foreshadowed. I like to when stories unfold and show you the plot, but this just tells you about the fuckin conclusion?! Bad move. Might as well just read the mangas end and be done with it, but since I know what's gonna happen who cares? Series is dead.
Jul 2, 2021 5:56 PM

Apr 2020
shane_nichols said:
MugenNoShirayuki said:

It kinda does because everything doesn't matter till the end that to being foreshadowed. I like to when stories unfold and show you the plot, but this just tells you about the fuckin conclusion?! Bad move. Might as well just read the mangas end and be done with it, but since I know what's gonna happen who cares? Series is dead.

There is still a lot of mystery on Vanitas' death, and not only his death is what matters, there are many more characters that might die as well. As Vanitas was presented on this episode, he is also a mysterious character. My point is that his death isn't the only thing that matters and the end won't only be that.
Jul 2, 2021 6:18 PM

Apr 2019
Pandora Hearts is one of my favorite manga of all time. I am so excited to watch another of Mochizuki’s work. Good start!

Jul 2, 2021 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
The animation is definitely great. Studio Bones nailed it. PH vibes indeed.
Jul 2, 2021 6:33 PM

Aug 2020
Finally a great anime this season.

Jul 2, 2021 6:38 PM
Dec 2015
Read this from ch 1 and I'm so happy to finally be starting the anime, good thing they're doing it justice unlike Pandora Hearts. Too many Noragami vibes though, I know same of the crew is the same but the made Vanitas come off too much like Yato. In the manga Vanitas has a much more sinister vibe
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

» The Romance in this story... sucks. ( 1 2 )

AjiX101 - Jan 10, 2022

53 by tragedydesu »»
Mar 8, 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.