Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 22, 2021 9:05 PM

Jan 2014
Do you have any anime/manga that you own that is somewhat hard to get? If so what is the Anime/Manga and how did you acquire it?

For example, I own a DVD set of Hachimitsu to Clover Season 1 & 2 and that is hard to acquire at the time of purchase. A few years back, this anime cannot be found on most streaming sites (Crunchyroll, Netflix, Funimation). The only way to watch this show is through free anime sites (Kissanime, GogoAnime, etc) but the quality is usually bad at around 360p or 480p. Since I liked the show so much, I decided to buy a DVD or Bluray copy. However, I later learned that nobody sells Hachimitsu to Clover anywhere (Amazon, eBay, Streaming sites, etc).

Here in Canada, it is especially expensive to buy a DVD/Bluray of an anime. My local marketplace has a rare copy of Hachimitsu to Clover Season 2 but the price tag is at a whopping 500 bucks Canadian. It wasn't happening so I kept looking for another place to buy a copy of the Anime. By chance, I happened to stumble upon a website from Singapore that sells a DVD copy of Hachimitsu to Clover Season 1 & 2.

I was skeptical at first but I ended up verifying the authenticity of the store and its merchandise through research. I also made sure that the disk will actually play in my DVD player since I know certain DVDs from other countries will not play on a North American DVD player. After checking, I went ahead and purchased both seasons and ended up paying less than 100 bucks for them (Import fees, delivery fees, and Tax included).
Recommend me an anime
May 22, 2021 9:29 PM
Jul 2018
i dont really get the point of buying dvds tbh
May 22, 2021 10:00 PM

Jan 2020
I got a physical copy of the one piece stampede "light novel" (I wouldn't really consider it to be that) but yeah. I got it for free when I went to go watch the movie in japanese theaters.

May 23, 2021 5:20 AM
Dec 2017
spaesu said:

Netflix and other streaming sites often take down shows from time to time so having a physical media copy really does help as a back up so this take is really ignorant ngl.

May 23, 2021 5:53 AM

Dec 2019
I have two manga volumes that were rather onerous to acquire. They've been out of print long enough that finding even a used copy was difficult. I was eventually able to find them for sale on ebay.

I paid $200 for Higurashi When They Cry: Festival Accompanying Arc Volume 3 (English omnibus edition).

I paid $150 for Arpeggio of Blue Steel Volume 6 (English edition).
I occasionally write blog posts and reviews.
May 23, 2021 6:02 AM

Jun 2020
Maison Ikkoku, I've only got the first 4 box sets, the rest is practically impossible to find in the Uk as it's a 20 year old US release. I was really lucky to find the ones I do have in the first place! The last set has been known to sell for between £500-£800, complete colelctins upwards of £1500.

It's just nice to have anime you can hold in your hand and will still be watchable from now until the day you die.

BTW OP, Honey and Clover is on Bluray in the US now. I paid about £50 for both seasons shipping and fees included.
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
May 23, 2021 7:14 AM
Jul 2018
Crow_Black said:
spaesu said:

Netflix and other streaming sites often take down shows from time to time so having a physical media copy really does help as a back up so this take is really ignorant ngl.
torrenting or downloading shows to ur computer really does help as a back up so this take is really ignorant ngl.
May 23, 2021 2:52 PM
Dec 2017
spaesu said:
Crow_Black said:

torrenting or downloading shows to ur computer really does help as a back up so this take is really ignorant ngl.

Not everyone does see digital media as reliable even if it was pirated. Some people really do enjoy collecting it and its just dismisal to say it is pointless.

May 23, 2021 3:01 PM
Jun 2020
i'd say it's Act-Age since they stopped publishing it due to the you-know-what, but you can still find copies here and there
i need vol 2
Nissan 350Z
May 23, 2021 3:01 PM

Jan 2020
I own the both the 4Kids' Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh uncut DVD releases.
May 23, 2021 3:03 PM

Feb 2020
I believe the rarest thing I have is this on VHS, it's not on DVD I don't think?. It's an English dub couple of episodes of this Anime in the link posted, made into a movie. I haven't seen many of them around, unless certain sites can rip a copy? mine is authentic though.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/9978/Kyouryuu_Tankentai_Born_Free?q=Kyouryuu%20born%20free%20&cat=anime
May 23, 2021 3:09 PM

Jan 2013
I have all of the Suzumiya Haruhi hardcover books that people list for absurd prices on Amazon.

Maybe there's something more on my shelf too but I can't be bothered to check.
ChandelaMay 23, 2021 3:12 PM
May 23, 2021 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
Crow_Black said:
spaesu said:

Not everyone does see digital media as reliable even if it was pirated. Some people really do enjoy collecting it and its just dismisal to say it is pointless.
but couldn't you say the same for physical media? also, i didnt say it was pointless i just said that i don't see the point
May 23, 2021 3:17 PM

Oct 2008
Vampire Juujikai (The Record of a Fallen Vampire)

I don't know if this manga is hard to get or not. I honestly don't remember how I got them.
May 23, 2021 3:18 PM
Dec 2017
spaesu said:
Crow_Black said:

but couldn't you say the same for physical media? also, i didnt say it was pointless i just said that i don't see the point

Thats the same meaning not having a point meaning that is pointless.

Just like this whole discussion itself.

May 23, 2021 3:19 PM

Sep 2014
I noticed that for some reason Rebuild of Evangelion is hard to get so there is that
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 23, 2021 3:27 PM
May 2020
I own all physical volume of Tekken Chinmi, a somewhat ordinary martial arts manga but somehow almost all of the fight are so fascinating and beautiful. Well it's a 90s era manga that my mother bought back then when she was in high school, so I don't buy it actually. Nowadays I highly doubt there's a place selling this manga unless in a specified manga store, I barely even found a complete online translations of it, they usually don't have certain chapter.
May 23, 2021 4:33 PM

Apr 2015
I guess all oop manga titles I have. I have Shintaro Kago's The Princess of the Never-ending castle non-human edition and only 333 copies were printed of that. Also checked Amazon and there Fantagraphics publiciation of Shintaro Kago's Dementia 21 vol. 1 is listed used for over 200$. Moto Hagio's Heart of Thomas published by Fantagraphics and currently on Amazon it is close to 400$, that I bought I think almost immediately when it arrived to the comic shop I frequent. Also by Moto Hagio Drunken dream and other stories. Taiyo Matsumoto's Blue Spring, Atsushi Kaneko's Bambi and her pink gun, Tokyopop's Battle Royale Ultimate edition all volumes, Franken Fran (last two volumes are tho german print), Dark Horse's single volumes of Lone wolf and cub. I think those are all oop titles in my bookshelf that are English editions.

Edit// I also own one pocket book of Yu-Gi-Oh Battle City arc that is the copy translators use. You know covers green, cheaper paper and scribbles here and there. Got that at con when buying manga.
May 23, 2021 5:27 PM
Jul 2018
Crow_Black said:
spaesu said:

Thats the same meaning not having a point meaning that is pointless.

Just like this whole discussion itself.
nah there's a difference, i said didn't see the point in it, this does not imply that it does not have a point but only that i do not know of it. so idk why you're trying to twist my words, we could just discuss 'the point' of buying physical copies instead. i've been trying to do that and you tried to convince before as well, so why can't we continue? unless you truly think this discussion has no point, although i would disagree with that statement because i don't believe this discussion is pointless at all. if by the end of this discussion you can convince me that there is any 'point' to collecting physical copies of anime/manga then there would be meaning to it, you'd change my perspective which would be meaningful. so back to the point, why do you think that collecting media physically on dvds/other stuff has any particular advantage over doing the same digitally? i think collecting stuff digitally has a lot of advantages, it's more convenient and easy to access + also usually costs less or is free in some cases xD... so to go back to my original comment, that is why i see no 'point' in collecting anime/manga physically. anyways, if you could give any reason/argument as to why there is a 'point' in collecting stuff physically then please feel free to share them.
May 23, 2021 7:07 PM

Nov 2014
Chandela said:
I have all of the Suzumiya Haruhi hardcover books that people list for absurd prices on Amazon.

You're missing some Bride Stories and Voynich Hotel there.
May 23, 2021 8:39 PM

Jun 2007
It's not surprising that Honey and Clover was only around at SD resolutions, considering it's a TV anime from 2005 that only had DVD releases (and maybe a station-upscaled version of season 2) until the recent Discotek upscales.

In terms of rare stuff I own, the most valuable release is most likely the Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum singles + artbox version, released by ADV. It'd cost over $400 to get those same 7 discs + artbox today, although at the time I bought them, they weren't any more expensive than the average releases of the era. In terms of items I had to overpay for, I'd go with Lucky Star DVD 6 from Bandai, which I picked up in ~2017 for about $45. I'd bought the first 3 discs roughly as they came out in 2008, then fell on hard times for a couple of years. Lucky Star 6 had a low print run and was already hard to find at that point, and Bandai Entertainment (USA) shutting down in 2012 certainly didn't help. A few years later, I got discs 4-5 and the OVA at reasonable prices on clearance, but watched and waited on Amazon for disc 6 to fall under $50. By that time, Funimation's complete collection was available, but I didn't want to rebuy the whole series and have 6 redundant discs just to get eps 21-24.

I also got Bandai's Gurren Lagann DVD release a couple of years back, when they somehow found some stock and sold them for $45 total. Much cheaper than the Aniplex DVDs and Blu-Rays.

spaesu said:
[but couldn't you say the same [about unreliability] for physical media?
if you could give any reason/argument as to why there is a 'point' in collecting stuff physically then please feel free to share them.

Maybe, but I've lost considerably more anime to hard drive failures and CD-R/DVD-R rot (anybody got Jinki Extend ep 11 fansubbed by [Ayu]?) than I ever have to loss/theft/damage of physical media.

Aside from having reliable backups in the case of digital storage failure or license expirations, some other reasons might include:

- Better audio/video quality than the rips; unless one is collecting DVD .isos or BDMVs that take up huge amount of space, the actual discs are going to look better, especially on high-end home theater setups.
- Wanting to support the global anime industry (note: Japanese rightsholders wouldn't allow overseas disc releases if they didn't see a financial upside in doing so, so the anti-industry crowd can kindly miss me with that "doesn't really count" nonsense)
- Releases may come with desirable on-disc or physical extras that aren't available in the pirated versions.
- Having something for voice actors and other staff to autograph at conventions.
- A collectors' mentality that may be more of an "older generation" thing at this point. But for some, it's more satisfying being able to point to something tangible and physical as proof of ownership and sacrifice for the fandom "cause" -- pointing to lists of files on hard drives doesn't give the same feeling.
- Wanting to have and display shelves full of anime discs and artboxes as symbols of accomplishment, extensions/expressions of the self, and as a history of one's involvement in the anime medium. For me, the collection enables trips down "memory lane" in terms of where and when I bought certain shows, the circumstances or eras when I watched them, conventions I attended when I had them autographed, and so on.

I realize these may not convince you or anyone else to collect anime discs, but I gave it a shot to explain why I think there is a point in doing so.
ZalisMay 23, 2021 9:02 PM
May 23, 2021 9:09 PM

Feb 2021
Probably the MAGI Series, It's really hard to acquire this manga in my Country.
It took me quite a while to find this Volume (found it by chance on a Bookstore):...
May 23, 2021 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
@Zalis - yeah i can understand a little bit more now why you would buy physical copies of stuff, but still personally don't really think it's that worth it
May 23, 2021 9:27 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Do you have any anime/manga that you own that is somewhat hard to get? If so what is the Anime/Manga and how did you acquire it?
I normally take pictures of my collection, but I haven't done that in a long time...
So here's a list of the anime/manga I have that applies as "difficult to get" instead, in no particular order:

Roughly half of both my general collection are long out of print, so naturally most of this list were stuff I actually bought pre-owned.
I don't own any digital anime/manga, these are all physical copies.

Arguably the most rarest stuff out the list would have to be

The lesson of the day is go find a Book-Off store if you want to find some hard-to-get stuff. They have some great prices for manga over there too.

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶

renzbiohazard said:
For example, I own a DVD set of Hachimitsu to Clover Season 1 & 2 and that is hard to acquire at the time of purchase. A few years back, this anime cannot be found on most streaming sites (Crunchyroll, Netflix, Funimation).
That's kinda funny that you mention that show in particular, because there's a Book-Off around here that actually has three DVD boxes for Honey and Clover. I recall this very clearly as they have very distinct box designs, and have been on sale there for at least a year or two without anyone buying them. (That's probably because I remember them each of them having high price tags...)
I tried reading the manga a while ago, but I wasn't sure if I liked it... would you recommend this show towards someone like me?

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶

Chandela said:

Damn... your collection looks really nice, lots of old and hard-to-get stuff on there too. Seeing all these TokyoPop volumes make me feel old.
May 23, 2021 9:34 PM

Oct 2014
Nothing I've bought is all that hard to acquire. One of the manga I own I had to buy from amazon.jp since I couldn't find it anywhere else (including pirating options) and obviously it is not translated so it'll actually be harder to read than it was to buy. I did buy the first volume of Dennou Shoujo☆Mink that I managed to find at a thrift store once. Not sure how hard that is to find or if I'll ever get the rest of the volumes.
zombie_pegasusMay 23, 2021 9:40 PM
May 24, 2021 7:49 PM

Sep 2019
I've got quite a few hard to acquire series actually.

Kurohime through scanlations as official translations stopped 3 volumes short of finishing it, and the ones they did release are rare.

Blood+ required me to look into torrents as it's as nonexistant as season 1 of Darker than Black

Got every movie & season of Nanoha(except Vivid) back when the price was nothing special, nowadays thier quite pricey if you can even find them.

.Hack//Another Birth, Cell, & AI Buster have been out of print for well over a decade or two. Lucky me tracked them all down of course. Probably the most important entries for understanding the series too, so good thing I did.

Others I could name aren't hard to track down, just incredibly expensive(looking at you Aniplex!!), or too obnoxious to watch the right way due to different subscription services having exclusive rights to specific seasons & I don't have that kinda money
May 25, 2021 1:29 AM

Jul 2019
I think the hardest to get anime merch I have is the dvd box set of Ginga Nagareboshi Gin. Maybe it is hard to get since it is not really popular anywhere except in nordic countries. I have not seen the dvd box set ever but then I once found it at my local mall. Had to buy it since the nostalgia towards the show is immense.
May 25, 2021 5:56 AM
May 2021
ManWild said:
I got a physical copy of the one piece stampede "light novel" (I wouldn't really consider it to be that) but yeah meilleure mutuelles entreprise. I got it for free when I went to go watch the movie in japanese theaters.

Maybe you can share this with us if it's free.
May 25, 2021 6:12 AM

Aug 2015
I have so much OOP Manga. Probably some of the hardest to get titles I have are GoGo Monster and Travel
May 25, 2021 6:24 AM

Nov 2018
Does anyone own the LotGH Blu-ray box set? That shit's expensive.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
May 25, 2021 6:29 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Every single LN and manga that has been released since the pandemic has been a pain in the a** to get. It's somehow worse now this spring where I read somewhere that they have not printed out so many copies of them due to the virus and obviously, it'll be sold out immediately.
For example, been waiting for Mushoku Tensei LN vol 10 for like 2 months now. Still on pre-order... but sold out. Damn.

I don't own any classics which is not for sale anymore so...
AzuchiMay 25, 2021 6:33 AM
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
May 25, 2021 6:37 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Crow_Black said:
spaesu said:

Yeah, especially if it's a really old classical anime or something

Here's my old collection. My mom donated it now though

so going back to OP, I would say the Fushigi Yuugi, Penguindrum and xxxHolic are the hardest ones to find during the time I purchased them. Some of them even had episodes with no audio, subs or are even half the episodes.

Ah yes, the DVD days lmao
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
May 25, 2021 6:56 AM

Aug 2020
spaesu said:
Crow_Black said:

I have about 10,000 high quality episodes in my computer. I downloaded most of them for free. So I dont really wanna waste my money on Overpriced DvDs. Though I own About 10 or 20 physical copies of Bleach, Naruto, HxH and KnY manga.
Anime List: Click here
Manga List: Click here

May 25, 2021 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
Naren-kun said:
spaesu said:

I have about 10,000 high quality episodes in my computer. I downloaded most of them for free. So I dont really wanna waste my money on Overpriced DvDs. Though I own About 10 or 20 physical copies of Bleach, Naruto, HxH and KnY manga.
damn your hard drive must be faaat af
May 25, 2021 7:35 AM
Apr 2020
Banana Fish manga is very hard to get here in the Netherlands. Only volumes 1 and 3 are currently available and the rest is out of stock. I think it might take a while before I complete the entire manga.
May 25, 2021 7:40 AM
Dec 2017
sanderrader said:
Crow_Black said:

what are the chances all episodes of an anime will just simultaneously disappear from the internet though?

Everything online is online forever and piracy is always going to exist no matter what.

May 25, 2021 7:57 AM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
I'd guess the R.O.D THE TV boxset would be the rarest DVD/Blu-ray?

The only other anime DVDs/Blu-rays I have are the complete Free! series including OVAs (minus the movies), most of the first 22 Pokémon movies, School-Live! and every JoJo episode prior to Emperor Crimson's debut in Golden Wind, and R.O.D OAV which I imagine are all much more common since they're way more popular than R.O.D THE TV

As for manga, I have the official English releases of the entire R.O.D series (which sadly only includes the first two manga series) as well as Forbidden Scrollery (which was the first official English release for Touhou Project in any capacity)

I think READ OR DIE and READ OR DREAM's English releases aren't in print anymore? So I guess they'd be rarer than Forbidden Scrollery?
Kogasa-TataraMay 25, 2021 8:00 AM
My greatest contribution to this website:

More topics from this board

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre?

decco6226 - 11 hours ago

32 by Memore »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime that reignited your passion for watching

Cammell - 27 minutes ago

4 by Prany21 »»
5 minutes ago

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

23 by RobertBobert »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 3 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 30

128 by Isaac_Randon »»
11 minutes ago

» Is there any hentai manga/anime with great plot ? I mean the story is better than the sex scenes.

GoodBoy0069 - 4 hours ago

10 by Memore »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.