Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2021 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Shoutarou and their uniform looks dope. It's also their official first match so there's tons of excitemnt for their team.

Everyone also looked determined since their time together. Tbh, this episode culiminates into showing the world what they''ve learned up to this point. Shoutarou in particular held his head high for the moment. It's like he was waiting for this day of competition since his entire life.
May 13, 2021 11:42 AM

Oct 2017
ao high's first official tournament!! futaba was struggling with his handstand but did it perfectly when it counted... too bad onagawa messed up. looks like they're going to regionals next! looking forward to the coming episodes :)
May 13, 2021 11:42 AM

Jul 2017
Finally dressed for the occasion! Just...don't strip in front of the Manager Korikuma-senpai, not that she minds anyways.

The only inconsistency left is Shotaro's nervous wreck while the Senpais and Misato are doing it all in sync. Focus, focus, focus, to get the Bakuten right. And almost everyone contributed to the pre-victory meal in various ways, all cluminating to this moment of the Prefectural Tournament. Feels like a dream come true to have finally a proper 6-men team in full competition mode. Such fun times for courtesy gags.

That said, the eventual arrival of the Prefectural Tournament to make it to the Inter-High is the objective of many goals to pass with obstruction from schools of differing levels. Have fun and work the best you can, boys, especially Shotaro.

Welcome the cinematic rotoscoping 2D once again with Ao High's performance, and dare I say is equalizing or more appealing when compared to Episode 1's opening moments. A bare winning moment to have a place in the Regionals, all of you have worked hard (except for Onagawa-senpai's slight mistake), especially for Shotaro being his first time out there.

Pretty good stuff.
May 13, 2021 11:48 AM

Jun 2019
"No by all means... Please continue" a cultured lady, I see. Shotaro and everyone else have worked really hard on their techniques.

Watari along with the captain is quite emotional on the inside but acts tough on the outside. That was funny to see. The day has finally arrived for them to show the fruits of their hard work. Everyone has their own way of focusing.

The best episode so far from this show. The animation was on point and their moves were so smooth and fluid to watch. For the entire episode, the OST was the main thing that kept me vibing my head. I absolutely loved it. Hats off Yuki Hayashi.
May 13, 2021 11:56 AM

Apr 2018
This episode was really well done. OST, animation were excellent. I got so nervous in the last part of the episode when it was their turn. Futaba is growing.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 13, 2021 12:07 PM
Jul 2018
anyone else feel like shotaro's tumbling skills came out of nowhere? i mean just a couple episodes ago he was struggling for a back handspring and now he seems like he's at the same level as the other guys
May 13, 2021 12:14 PM
Sep 2015
The fanservice at the beginning! Make me regret that my life have never experience living together with hot highschool athletes in the same dorm! I've a hard time judging which set of characters are hotter between this and Kabaddi. But since we get shirtless scene in Bakuten, it gets more points as of now.

Shotaro has easier choreograph so the hard part is when the choreograph require him to be in sync with other members. Turns out, the one who make mistake is Onagawa.

Talking about Onagawa, his old hairstyle is better, a lot better, like heaven and hell better, and no one can convince me otherwise.
May 13, 2021 12:33 PM

May 2015
God, I was so nervous watching them. Glad they performed so well.
May 13, 2021 1:22 PM

Sep 2019
Their performance looked really good. I'm happy to see that Shoutarou didn't make any mistakes.
May 13, 2021 2:34 PM
Mar 2021
I was debating it after episode 5 but this episode made me raise my rating for the show! I thought it was a great episode and the performance was beautiful,, the outfits and flips were so cool!! Honestly I completely missed when onagawa messed up though. I guess was just to engrossed in how well their performance was going that I didn't notice the mistake!
May 13, 2021 3:26 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty nice, the performance was great. Soundtrack is great too.

I'm glad Futaba was able to do the handstand without issue, I have no experience watching the sport so I don't really know when Onagawa messed up. I noticed that they had a shot of him grimacing but I figured it was just because he was tired.
May 13, 2021 3:30 PM
Oct 2020
Even though it was CGI most of the time, their performace was still so cool to watch. They nailed it.

Music was very good as well in this ep.

May 13, 2021 4:19 PM

Feb 2020
I know it’s fiction and all BUT, isn‘t it really unrealistic that Shoutarou is able to do tumbling and backflips almost at the same level as the other guys but then struggles with a handstand? Idk much about gymnastics but i used to be a dancer so i was able to learn a handstand pretty fast but tumbling and salti and stuff were impossible. Idk i mean let‘s say even if he is really talented and was able to learn a lot in a short time i would have liked to see a bigger difference in skills between him and the others.
At least when i looked really closely i could see that his toes and legs sometimes weren’t stretched as beautifully as those of the rest. But that was the only difference.

Also you almost can‘t tell any difference between Misato and everyone else. He‘s always called the Ace and is said to be a genius but he didn’t really do anything that made him stand out more. Even tho Mashiro said „woah Misato is amazing“ for the viewer it wasn’t clear what made him better than his team mates. Misato is doing this since elementary school and the others started in high school and Shoutarou is a beginner and in the perfomance it looked like they were all on the same level.

I kinda liked the fact that one of the more experienced guys made a mistake. That what happens in competitions. However Shoutarou didn’t make any mistake at all? Idk...
But okay it‘s fiction.

What really bugs me in this context tho is the fact that before the performance the coach said Shoutarou‘s talent was his honesty. His honesty???? Srlsy, if he really learned all that in such a short time and is able to perform at such an advanced level then HE is a true genius and the coach should at least tell him he is awfully talented in gymnastics! Not make it sound like „actually you suck but at least you‘re honest.“

At least Mashiro seemed to have acknowledged Shoutarou‘s talent.
Okay enough with the rant. I love the soundtrack and the animation of the performance.
May 13, 2021 4:19 PM
Jul 2020
they did so well their performance was really breathtaking !!

also we got a short glimpse of misato's past, so curious to know what happened

chw___2May 14, 2021 4:15 AM
May 13, 2021 4:22 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
;_; a bit when the coach told Futaba that his talent was his earnestness. Being like Futaba in terms of personality, I can see that having been the best thing to say to him in that moment, as it acknowledged his hard work and reassured him that he has a talent that will benefit the team, that he doesn't have to be talented for gymnastics. Really glad they were able to place second!

One thing I noticed in this episode was that Misaki called Futaba by his first name at the beginning of the episode, which made me really happy. But right after the performance, Misaki called him "Futaba" again. I guess it's just whatever he feels like calling Futaba? XD

Loved the whole episode, not just the performance (which was exciting!). I can't get enough of the team's chemistry, and especially how supportive they are of each other.

Oh, and it seems like Futaba has caught Mashiro's eyes!
May 13, 2021 5:00 PM

Oct 2009
No, by all means, continue and enjoy being nervous, too are probably the two takeaway quotes this time around. Lmao. But that choreography was beautiful, and the way they kept changing not only the lighting but the camera as well really added to the experience - some of those things I don't think could actually be done, but it was nice here.
May 13, 2021 9:13 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well, the prefectural match soon began. Shoutaro had the struggle with the handstand after a lot of routines goin on. But the coach still believed on his earnestness, and made him to trust himself more and more. There's nothing wrong with the nervousness. You just let it go, don't mind, and had fun with it. Misato also supported him, obviously with his own way under that silence look. He just can't express it better. In the end, its expected to see them at the victory. They were finishing the routines in a very good way. But let it slip a little by the mistake goes to Onagawa under that little mess thing. Pity you, idol fan, i hope Watari get the blame, because it will be more funny. But, lol, its fine. Idk whats up with Mashiro end look. He was pretty much determined with Shoutaro development. Lets see that thing more closely in the next episode ...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 13, 2021 11:45 PM

Nov 2012
Nice ep! Besides CG, it was pretty cool, lets see how they grown

My Candies:

May 14, 2021 12:06 AM

Mar 2016
Did the opening visuals change a little? Something felt different, but I don't know why.

It's nice how they didn't add unnecessary dramas to push the performance to the next episode.

I love how we can feel Futaba being unstable when performing. He also lands a lot heavier than the other characters. (It may have been frustrating for him, but it is so cute when he lands with no grace at all.)

Watari's briefs suit him quite well. But, Onagawa, was he wearing Speedos?

I had been worried about their performance. A part of me wondered if Misato would have what looks like his past trauma triggered. I was so tense that I just went, "the story won't work if they fail, so they won't fail."

I am surprised they lost some points because of Onagawa. But, it didn't happen out of the blue. It was foreshadowed.

So proud of Futaba this episode.

I just noticed, but Futaba's whole family is cute! And Levi is one of the shortest characters here as well.

Tsukiyuki was lost. haha He's so adorable!!

I had expected the whole performance to be CG animated. But that didn't happen. I found myself being so happy and relieved when they gave us proper animations for scenes where emotions are important.
May 14, 2021 6:40 AM

Oct 2016
Such a great episode! The directing in this show is so good, plus the build up to the performance was super well done. How the performances feels so important reminds me of Haikyuu matches, if Bakuten is reminding me of Haikyuu, then this show is doing a great job as a sports anime.

The performance had me really anxious though like damn, they were focusing on Onagawa looking kind of off throughout the episode, there must be a reason why he messed up in the performance. Very proud of Shoutarou though, the coach managing to calm down and inspire him was great. Even though Mashiro is looking all cool and shit, he still gets lost like an adorable little puppy lmao. And looks like Shoutarou is gaining the attention of Mashiro now, good shit. Really looking forward to the next episode.
May 14, 2021 7:50 AM

Jul 2020
man I feel so happy when he didn't mess up in the actual performance. I'm waiting if they will lose in the first perfomance...
May 14, 2021 8:15 AM

Jan 2012
Just wanted to appreciate the background guys XD:

And also, Watari being cute
May 14, 2021 1:29 PM

Jul 2016
I wanna be part of this group so bad! They are all so kind and supportive to each other.

Best episode so far. Buildup as well as final performance were simply excellent. The same goes for OST usage and camera/lighting direction.
May 14, 2021 1:31 PM

Mar 2017
I think I was more nervous than Shotaro before they went on! Despite all his worrying and anxiety, Shotaro was brilliant - he kept up with more experienced members and really focused on his weaknesses during the performance to pull off a really polished performance. Ao's whole routine was just so beautiful to watch and I can't wait to see them perform again at regionals!
May 14, 2021 3:16 PM

Oct 2008
haha good thing Shoutarou didn't mess-up his own team in the prefectural tournament!
4/5.

May 14, 2021 5:46 PM

Jan 2020
What a beautiful episode. This show never fails to put a smile on my face every single week!!! It brings me so much joy. I loved the uniforms, Shoutarou's efforts and his teammates support. The animation is superb, the CGI looked very fluid and smooth, even better than the first episode. The direction of the choreography was also great.

The uniform and its color are so beautiful. Every week I appreciate this show a little more.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
May 14, 2021 5:58 PM
Apr 2015
I honestly love their coach. He's so encouraging and gives them such great tips for improvement. I can't help but think back to my archery coach in my last year of high school. Within the first round at regionals, he had already given up on us. He didn't bother with watching us and just up and left and came back at the end. It was extremely disheartening for all of us and I remembered we would just try to encourage each other. That was my first and last year on the archery team which makes it that much more of an unfortunate memory. Having experienced that, I can say for a fact that these guys have been blessed with an amazing coach!!
May 15, 2021 1:09 AM

Nov 2013
good job boys im so proud of them owo when the performance is so good you end up clapping in your room
May 15, 2021 6:28 AM

Aug 2020
phenomenal directing once again . the animation and the use of cgi was goddamn beautiful . but again it is yuki hayashi's music that steals the show . flipping gorgeous . this man just dont make bad music . everything he makes is instant diamond.

the pressure was immense for futaba , but he did extremely well considering that . i am so glad they made it through .
May 15, 2021 7:34 AM

Jun 2020
Another beautiful episode. Bakuten!! is so cinematic & always so immersive to watch. Even the most simple scene of coach hi5ing them could have been done from one angle but they didn’t. And how simple scenes show more & more of each character’s personality without it having to be shoved in our faces. Beauty in the subtle details!

Sakurai Takahiro is a perfect fit for the coach. What a character. I love how gentle & wholesome he is as their coach. Especially when he told Futaba to enjoy the nervousness as well.

Misapon giving Futaba that slap of encouragement on his back was so nice. And yet also telling him that nobody expects much from him. It’s the truth tho. Also did find it weird that he was suddenly so good at the other stunts lol I agree that it seemed like it came out of nowhere since he practically dedicated all his time to practicing his handstand???? Minor gripe tho, their performance was absolutely amazing!

My sports anime of the season. I love Bakuten!! SO MUCH

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

May 15, 2021 9:32 AM

Jan 2021
I held my breath during the entire performance, so glad they didn't mess up
May 15, 2021 1:58 PM
Apr 2016
honestly never felt goosebumps in a match/presentation sports anime until now, I was on the edge of my toes watching their routine!
May 15, 2021 2:00 PM
May 2019
Great episode! Those nervous jitters before any big game/contest/tournament are legit and I love how the coach pulled Shotaro out of them: "Enjoy being nervous, too." As you gather memories of the sport, it's true that you remember those nervous moments the most and remember enjoying that feeling too.

May 15, 2021 8:53 PM

Dec 2016
I was so worried for Shoutarou, but thankfully all worked out!

That said, I'm loving everything of this spokon anime: the animation, the characters, the music, and so on. o(^▽^)o
May 16, 2021 8:15 AM

Aug 2008
OMG their performance was so cool! I was a nervous wreck, but they did it! T-T So proud!
May 17, 2021 7:42 AM

Dec 2020
that was absolutely nerve wracking oh my god. i dont think its because it had a great build up or anything but more because i loved the characters so much. but definitely the best ep so far. and also one of the most "sports like" one since so far it had more sol comedy elements. even in the training camp. but that 3 minute performance was great, cg was captivating and enjoyable. the little training session at the beginning was nice too, with it going back and forth to shots of a pond, as shotaro's anxiety drags him down, lower and lower until he was stuck. but it was slowly lifted by his teamates, misato giving him a little pat on the back was nice. i couldnt help but laugh at the coach's words tho, the hell was that "you're talented. simplicity is what you're good at" ??? lmao we also got to see little bits of misato lore !! his teamate got injured? and maybe it was because of him? his mom also seems nice so im guessing his father is the strict one
Jun 17, 2021 3:27 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was a really good representation, I'm not surprised to see them on the 2nd place, too bad Onagawa did a little mistake they could have been first xD anyway now they're qualified for the tournament so it should be even more interesting but even harder for them.
Oct 11, 2021 2:53 PM

Aug 2015
The choreography was amazingly animated, coupled with Hayashi's great soundtrack, I must admit that I was a bit moved like the audience.
Mar 8, 2022 7:24 AM

Mar 2022
They did so well! Usually CGI in anime looks off, but it was executed really well here. Excited to see where my boys will go next!
The siren of a flightless bird

Quietly destroying its cage

Dance, until tonight, with a raised voice-

For I don't want to lose hope!

-Utsuro wo Aogu, Vivid BAS SQUAD
Apr 30, 2022 9:53 PM

May 2020
The performance was really good but the music was what really made the performance stand out for me. I need to find the soundtrack for this.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakuten!! Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2021

29 by HAWARINA09 »»
Jun 8, 2023 6:26 AM

Poll: » Bakuten!! Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2021

38 by Akiraroyt »»
Apr 6, 2023 8:30 AM

Poll: » Bakuten!! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2021

56 by Akiraroyt »»
Apr 6, 2023 5:25 AM

Poll: » Bakuten!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2021

90 by sassichan »»
Jan 29, 2023 4:41 PM

Poll: » Bakuten!! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2021

30 by tsardixon »»
Sep 11, 2022 2:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.