Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone actually take the reviews section of an anime seriously?

New
May 1, 2021 4:18 PM

Oct 2017
I look at an anime's score before I watch, but reviews on MAL pages of anime are more funny to me than anything. Usually they're just nitpicky or the user has a completely different scale for rating shows..

Usually one top review score will be a 4 from a guy who's average rating is a 4.6 and another will be a 9 from someone who read the manga and already loves the show. Everyone just has different tastes so an average makes more sense than listening to the ramblings of a single anime watcher.

If you're interested in a show. Look at the rating on sites, ask a friend or two, and give it a shot. Reviews on MAL are useless. Thoughts?
Hey there! If you'd like to talk about anime or anything else feel free to drop a comment on my page or DM me. I'd be glad to have a conversation and make some new friends :)
My list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Amazinc?status=7&order=4&order2=0

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 1, 2021 4:26 PM

Jul 2012
When I'm not sure whether I want to watch something based on the synopsis alone I try to take a look at one positive and one negative review. It gives me a feel as to why someone did and did not like that anime, which is usually enough for me to figure out whether I'd enjoy it. The review scores are about as helpful as the average rating. Not very.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
May 1, 2021 4:28 PM

Oct 2017
SleepingBear said:
When I'm not sure whether I want to watch something based on the synopsis alone I try to take a look at one positive and one negative review. It gives me a feel as to why someone did and did not like that anime, which is usually enough for me to figure out whether I'd enjoy it. The review scores are about as helpful as the average rating. Not very.

Yeah that makes sense, I just skim sometimes if I'm unsure. I still try not to take any of it too seriously though. Sometimes its easy to see other people's opinions and just take it as truth or too close to heart.
Hey there! If you'd like to talk about anime or anything else feel free to drop a comment on my page or DM me. I'd be glad to have a conversation and make some new friends :)
My list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Amazinc?status=7&order=4&order2=0

May 1, 2021 4:42 PM
Jul 2018
I like to look at like two high ratings and then I look at the first low rating I see. A lot of reviews are way too long to read though so I skim them
May 1, 2021 4:58 PM

Sep 2018
I agree that reviews are useless before watching, because every anime will have its dedicated fans rating it 9 or 10, ignoring the flaws.

I just read negative reviews of anime I didn't like, they are way more interesting.
May 1, 2021 5:18 PM

Apr 2017
i take a quick glance at them sometimes, they tend to be extreme. i come a cross a lot of really weird taste people throwing out 4s and 3s to good shows i actually liked.
Personally i go off just the name/pic/genre, been working great for me.
May 1, 2021 5:19 PM

Jan 2020
I think there are good reviewers out there but that being said, I usually stick to my own opinion even after reading reviews

May 1, 2021 5:20 PM

Mar 2020
I don't even read reviews, I just scroll down, if my boy RebelPanda is there, I'll read his review, if not, I close the tab.
May 1, 2021 5:25 PM

Jul 2020
I never read the reviews, takes too much time.
May 1, 2021 5:28 PM

Jul 2020
I usually don't watch a series if its average rating is under a 7, but if the concept sounds interesting, then I'll look at reviews to see what its weaknesses are. If the main problem is a rushed ending, I would still go for it, for example The Day I Became a God. On the other hand, if its low rating comes from something like boring characters, then I avoid it.

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

May 1, 2021 5:32 PM

May 2019
90% of time you disagree with the top reviews.

But the 10% of times you watch one anime and don't understand WHY IS IT SO OVERRATED / UNDERRATED? (in your opinion), the best explanation is there in the reviews.
May 1, 2021 6:27 PM
Dec 2018
I don't, because I've discovered that I have enjoyed more lower-rated anime series more than I thought I would.

With anime being so easily accessible, I use the three-episode rule to judge for myself.
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
May 1, 2021 7:25 PM

Jan 2021
I never even read the reviews because I thought it was a waste of time.
May 1, 2021 7:43 PM

Sep 2014
I stopped caring about reviews when their quality became significantly worse in the matter of a day. That was the day when they removed the "not helpful" button.
May 1, 2021 7:53 PM
Jan 2021
Amazinc said:
I look at an anime's score before I watch, but reviews on MAL pages of anime are more funny to me than anything. Usually they're just nitpicky or the user has a completely different scale for rating shows..

Usually one top review score will be a 4 from a guy who's average rating is a 4.6 and another will be a 9 from someone who read the manga and already loves the show. Everyone just has different tastes so an average makes more sense than listening to the ramblings of a single anime watcher.

If you're interested in a show. Look at the rating on sites, ask a friend or two, and give it a shot. Reviews on MAL are useless. Thoughts?

No i actually don't i only care about the score so for me people who make a review on it is kinda waste but it's not if it's a positive review i only make a review if this certain series moved me if not i won't make a review it's reall a drag honestly i don't get why people making a negative review it's so stupid......
May 1, 2021 8:06 PM
Apr 2020
No, who would read those long paragraphs that mostly don't even make sense. Those are just bunch of spoilers after a few lines. According to me rating is more genuine, as the user after watching anime gives the honest rating coz it is beneficial for the user too, as it shows in their anime list too.
Don't be a ketsunoana
May 1, 2021 8:16 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Yes, for the most part. I like that shit, especially reviews that disagree with my own point of view. Not because "omg im so fascinated by the discourse" but exposing yourself to new ideas helps you become better at challenging the ideas you feel the need to disagree with.

I want to shape discussion I'm in, not just shout some stupid, low-effort take into the void. Getting good at that isn't that different than getting good at a fighting game. You have to learn the moveset, controls and timing so you can effectively combat your opponents.

Seeing some of the shit people pump up, trying to understand why I think it's shit, and finding ways to put that into words is kind of like my mental exercise. It helps keep me strong.

May 2, 2021 2:34 AM

Sep 2020
if its astralbread review,i don't care,everything he writes is just pretentious and bullshit,that's it

GangstaAkagi said:
No, I first look at the reviewers profile and don't take it seriously if they have given Code Gayass a high score.

but man your review,i can't take it seriously too 😔
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=393980
ishowhatredMay 2, 2021 3:39 AM
May 2, 2021 2:54 AM

May 2021
Yeah most of the reviews are too long to be bothered with (aint got time for that) better off checking out the first episode if the synopsis has you interested
May 2, 2021 3:01 AM

Jan 2013
I don't think I've ever read a review in it's entirety tbh.
May 2, 2021 3:35 AM

Feb 2020
They're good when they explain why they liked or didn't like a show, for example when the reviewer says they loved the anime because it had nonstop action, I can avoid the show, because action usually bores me. I don't really look at the score, since people rate differently.
May 2, 2021 3:37 AM
Jul 2018
No, I first look at the reviewers profile and don't take it seriously if they have given Code Gayass a high score.
May 2, 2021 3:57 AM

Dec 2020
Nah most of the time they're too vague and unclear without giving examples to this criticism or praise, on the other hand there are people who summarize the entire story without adding anything.
May 2, 2021 4:12 AM

Feb 2019
I don't take em really serious but generally speaking I don't watch an anime unless there is one person who would give it a 10, whether they're dumbasses or not that just tells me someone really loves the anime and I might too

But obv some old shows may only have like 1 or 2 reviews so then the issue is more if subs actually exist for this shit
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
May 2, 2021 4:23 AM
Apr 2021
Hrybami said:
I stopped caring about reviews when their quality became significantly worse in the matter of a day. That was the day when they removed the "not helpful" button.

Wait, why would they do that? I thought this site encouraged criticism, not hated it so much to where a not helpful review button would be taken away? Thats the equivalent of Youtube trying to take the dislike button away, only MAL succeeded here.
SolitaryWeebMay 2, 2021 5:07 AM
May 2, 2021 4:23 AM

Aug 2019
I don’t really read reviews because most likely my opinion will differ from theirs so it’s not really a good indication if I’ll like the show or not
May 2, 2021 4:33 AM

Apr 2021
I usually like to go into a show blind then look at the reviews after to see what others thought about it.
May 2, 2021 4:35 AM

Aug 2018
yeah, i don't read anime reviews on myanimelist.. most of the time.
May 2, 2021 4:43 AM

Aug 2018
I won't bother to look at that section anymore since most of the reviews are shit. I'll judge the series myself.
May 2, 2021 4:55 AM

Jul 2013
I'll glance at the ratings and reviews. The negative reviews are often times over dramatic and unnecessary. I'll trust a review with a rating of 5 or 6 over a 1.
May 2, 2021 4:55 AM

Dec 2020
shiiiiiiiiiiiiish some review on hxh said that chimera arc suck saying this "chimera ant art is shit for multiple reason the pacing is terrible asf the arc burns thru most it’s hype before the main villains even appear"
Thoughts about this one?
May 2, 2021 4:59 AM
Aug 2013
I used to take them seriously when we still had the unhelpful button. It was easier to tell whether people agreed or disagreed with the views a particular reviewer had about a particular anime. Nowadays, I don't take reviews seriously. It is hard to tell, whether people share the views of the reviewer, when the only option available is to agree with them.
May 2, 2021 5:35 AM

Mar 2016
A lot of the reviews are by people who really love a series and will just give it a 10 regardless of any flaw or some pretentious dude who is ranting. I’ve never taken them seriously. I’d like to avoid reading cringe as much as possible. Also, reviews can be easily upvoted by bots and alt accounts, so the helpful count can be a suspicious indicator. They need to bring back “unhelpful” button.
Shishou_23May 2, 2021 5:42 AM
May 2, 2021 5:38 AM

Mar 2020
I don't take the reviews of anything seriously other than video games because of the upfront cost associated with them and it's not really opinions I care about as much as they aren't too buggy. I don't buy games when they are new I always wait 30 days to make sure they work and aren't terrible. Ex CyberPunk 2077.

When it comes to anime I can do it at a low cost so I take chances and don't care about reviews.
May 2, 2021 5:48 AM

Aug 2018
Not me , i never take it seriously , at most just around 20% . i still read it a bit to know what's the story about .
May 2, 2021 5:48 AM

Feb 2020
A number of mine that I did either had no synopsis at all or the anime in question wasn't available in English in any way, so I kind of made them as guides? but IDK make up your own mind on that one.
May 2, 2021 5:52 AM

Jun 2020
I used to read reviews and take them seriously. Now, I don't. Especially for the new anime. Coz it's become a trend for people hating on the anime in the reviews. Top 5 reviews would have ratings - 3,4,7,5,2 - even for good anime. I would blame the people who write those reviews (like Rebelpanda, of course) - but it's not their fault that their reviews landed on the top. People, here on MAL, also seem to prefer hate reviews. So, I stopped taking the reviews seriously....
May 2, 2021 5:55 AM

Oct 2017
Nah why should I care about what some random nobody thought about the anime.
May 2, 2021 5:55 AM

Jun 2020
Lmao, shows like Mushoku tensei have a score of above 8.4 and then reviews are filled with 3s and 4s and the reasons 90% of them give.... "Mushoku tensei contains pedophilic shit, so I gave it a 3."
May 2, 2021 6:01 AM

Jan 2020
Amazinc said:

As a person that reviews regularly, I think that MAL reviews are mostly garbage and useless to read. I write mine because they are fun and post them here to get feedback and or criticism. So yeah, I agree that there is no real benefit from reading them.
May 2, 2021 6:03 AM

Jan 2020
SolitaryWeeb said:
Hrybami said:

Wait, why would they do that? I thought this site encouraged criticism, not hated it so much to where a not helpful review button would be taken away? Thats the equivalent of Youtube trying to take the dislike button away, only MAL succeeded here.
There can be a problem, especially in a community full of butthurt people such as MAL. We saw what happened with AoT and FMAB, it was a fiasco. People just spam the unhelpful button if the reviewer doesn't agree with the rating the reader gave.
May 2, 2021 6:07 AM
Nov 2018
No they are not useless. I would say they are neccessary and I give props for those people that take the time to write those. I have them in the same boat(probably not the same cabin)as people who write gaming guides.

That being said yes they are very long and all over the place most of the time with very high scores and very low scores but what can you expect from humans.

I usually read a couple low and a couple high. And if I want to go even deeper I look at that reviewer Amine list to compare ratings with mine. If you have Berzerk as your top then you have good taste!
May 2, 2021 6:09 AM
Apr 2021
ScraF said:
SolitaryWeeb said:

There can be a problem, especially in a community full of butthurt people such as MAL. We saw what happened with AoT and FMAB, it was a fiasco. People just spam the unhelpful button if the reviewer doesn't agree with the rating the reader gave.

I mean, thats kind of the point of the button, to leave an unhelpful response if you dont think its a helpful one and vice versa. To me it seems like the helpful buttons are another way of saying "I agree" or "I disagree" to begin with. Leaving it with the only option "I agree" will give reviewers a big head in thinking that no one disagrees with them because the userbase no longer has an option to thanks to some bad apples.
May 2, 2021 6:10 AM

Jan 2020
Why would MAL reviews be useless? The users are just writing their thoughts on the show. If they are being too pedantic or too "fanboyish", let them be; it's their choice.
May 2, 2021 6:11 AM

Jan 2020
SolitaryWeeb said:
ScraF said:

I mean, thats kind of the point of the button, to leave an unhelpful response if you dont think its a helpful one and vice versa. To me it seems like the helpful buttons are another way of saying "I agree" or "I disagree" to begin with. Leaving it with the only option "I agree" will give reviewers a big head in thinking that no one disagrees with them because the userbase no longer has an option to thanks to some bad apples.
I didn't mean people actually reading the review and not agreeing. Worded it incorrectly, my bad. I meant people just looking at the rating and not reading the full review.
May 2, 2021 6:15 AM
Nov 2018
A--bomb said:
shiiiiiiiiiiiiish some review on hxh said that chimera arc suck saying this "chimera ant art is shit for multiple reason the pacing is terrible asf the arc burns thru most it’s hype before the main villains even appear"
Thoughts about this one?

GTFO?!
That arc the entire reason I bumped it from a 9 to 10.
I probably would had blocked that user LMAO
May 2, 2021 6:15 AM
Apr 2021
ScraF said:
SolitaryWeeb said:

I didn't mean people actually reading the review and not agreeing. Worded it incorrectly, my bad. I meant people just looking at the rating and not reading the full review.

Fair, but I still dont think the option should be removed over a few bad apples spamming the system for a certain period of time, why throw the whole userbase under the bus for the immaturity of a few? It honestly makes no sense to me personally but to each their own.
May 2, 2021 6:17 AM

Mar 2015
Taking anyone on this website seriously is a big mistake.
May 2, 2021 6:17 AM

Mar 2010
Top reviews on MAL are pretty useless. It's better to find people that seems to have taste that matches up with yours and just look at their reviews. I would suggest that instead of just putting reviews that get the most "helpful" at the top, it should be personalized to each user and also based on the affinity score. Though they should also modify the affinity system such that it takes into account the mean/median score that a user gives instead of just a straight point comparison, as different people are using different scales on this site. That the reviews that are scored as "helpful" rise to the top generally results in reviews that aren't necessarily good reviews of the anime itself but are interesting for other reasons, such as they bash it really hard or are really sarcastic, rising to the top due to people that aren't even interesting in the anime pressing the "helpful" button on them.
hexashadow13May 2, 2021 6:24 AM
May 2, 2021 6:47 AM

Oct 2010
SolitaryWeeb said:
Hrybami said:

Because it was abused. For instance, you could downvote the 4 reviews at the top and upvote the 5th, so it could be shown at the main page.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Can background characters be best girls?

Catalano - Yesterday

22 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do some people watch anime in 1.5x or 2x speed?

Rinrinka - 7 hours ago

26 by TortiIIa »»
9 minutes ago

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - Today

33 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
38 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

110 by Ade117 »»
39 minutes ago

» How did you get into anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Cudlyyy - Sep 28, 2023

116 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.