Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 11, 2021 8:46 PM

Dec 2019
You hear a lot about "toxic" fandoms for a bunch of anime, but I wonder if the anime itself has an effect on whether or not its community is toxic. After all, it's hard to imagine a calm cute girl anime having an extremely toxic community (Tell me if there is one).
I think it's possible that there's a certain type of anime that attracts the most toxic people for some reason, but I can't describe what it is exactly.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 11, 2021 8:50 PM

Jan 2020
Sure, but some have less toxic fans than others. Gintama has a pretty chill fandom and it has a decent popularity

Apr 11, 2021 8:51 PM

Oct 2019
Yes...........................
Apr 11, 2021 8:57 PM
Aug 2020
Every anime has some sort of a toxic community
Apr 11, 2021 8:57 PM

Oct 2017
Probably but yeah dEeRp PSyChOLoGicAL shows, or the ones that you neeeeeeeddddd a BrEIn, have the most loud and annoying ones, specially the PeAAAKkkk fiction ones.
Apr 11, 2021 8:58 PM

Apr 2021
All anime has a toxic side, whether it's a small portion of the fandom or a big portion of the fandom, all fandoms, anime or not, are toxic. Something I've learned from being on the internet for 5 years. All fandoms have a toxic side.

Apr 2015
Everything and anything can have a toxic community.

Jan 2013
I don't know exactly what you mean by "cute girl anime" but if you just mean moe shows, then yes those people can act toxic by getting triggered that you think the show is boring/pointless and don't like that genre. I don't know exactly how common this is but I've definitely seen it.
Apr 11, 2021 9:02 PM

Dec 2018
Sark_Morgan said:
Probably but yeah dEeRp PSyChOLoGicAL shows, or the ones that you neeeeeeeddddd a BrEIn, have the most loud and annoying ones, specially the PeAAAKkkk fiction ones.

Hahahhahaha.... I second this brilliant opinion.
Apr 11, 2021 9:12 PM

Apr 2020
If everyone can hate an Anime like Ex arm then there's for sure an Anime that everyone can love.
Apr 11, 2021 9:13 PM
Jan 2016
I'm not sure why you mean by "a cute anime girl", since most fandoms I know are from the anime, not the characters

But imo there are two types of toxic fandoms

One, the popular animes, usually shonen/seinen like AOT fandom, SAO fandom among others, that complain about EVERYTHING.

And then we have the fandoms full of fujoshis of non-bl anime. Basically they transform their friendship/bromance into a relationship full of doujin and fanarts of the different ships. If you say their OTP is not canon they can give a lecture of a whole week. Right now, Moriarty and SK8 are popular, but some other popular ones are haikyuu, BNHA, Yuri on ice etc etc etc
Apr 11, 2021 9:15 PM

Aug 2019
I can assure you there is next to no toxicity in the Aria community, but yeah I do believe there is anime fan groups that aren’t toxic out there, unless you count those outliers that exist in every fandom

personally I just believe the more popular a series is the more likely it is to be toxic, granted this theory isn’t foolproof because there is some shows that have pretty chill fans despite being popular
snowykevinApr 11, 2021 9:20 PM
Apr 11, 2021 9:19 PM

Aug 2017
Typically the more popular the community the more toxic it is.
Apr 11, 2021 9:22 PM
Sep 2020
Of course, like... 🗿 Ah, don't say the title, but most of anime have a toxic community or just a person...
Apr 11, 2021 9:23 PM
Sep 2019
Yes, unless it's a Slice of Life(not including harem).
Apr 11, 2021 9:33 PM
Nov 2020
I think it doesn't depend on the anime. I mean if its a cute girl and she has a cute classmate. Guess what, they gonna start shipping them. I mean toxic people will always find a reason. And yes i do also think the bigger they are the more toxic. I mean i hope their isin't a single fandom like the MHA one. I mean don't get me wrong its a good anime but they just ruin it. It's better to watch the anime before knowing about the fandom that ships deku and eri or deku and all might ( i know these are rly fucked up ships)
Apr 11, 2021 10:38 PM

Jun 2011
Any anime community can be toxic. And big NEW fandom are usually more toxic than older ones. Netflix anime fandoms tend to be most toxic cause they have more new and young fans.

If something is likely to be in someone’s first 100 shows, it is probably more toxic.

Fandom in general stokes the fires of obsession which tends to be bad for health.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 11, 2021 11:04 PM

Mar 2020
Any anime that has a big fanbase will have toxic fans in it. Genre doesn't matter.
Apr 11, 2021 11:05 PM
Jun 2020
every fandom is toxic, but the magnitude depends in how mainstream the show is. One example is Boku no hero, is mainstream and is known as one of the most toxic anime fandoms, why? the majority of watchers are fujoshis between 13-17 who only care about the shipps and boys who want to be Todoroki. Another example is Grand Blue, isn´t mainstream, and the fandom is very quite, why? the majority of watchers are over age and only want a fun time.
Apr 12, 2021 12:56 AM

Oct 2010
any anime can have toxic fanatics, just look at your random cute girls show Amanchu, some fans started a ferocious shipping war, insults was casual business when s2 aired, some even called the author a "anti lesbian" and "shotacon" because they did not accept that two girls could be friends, seriously, Teko x Pikari should not exist wtf. I agree that the 10 year old boy is weird but all manga is weird.
Apr 12, 2021 12:56 AM

Jun 2011
zzshcl said:
I'm not sure why you mean by "a cute anime girl", since most fandoms I know are from the anime, not the characters

But imo there are two types of toxic fandoms

One, the popular animes, usually shonen/seinen like AOT fandom, SAO fandom among others, that complain about EVERYTHING.

And then we have the fandoms full of fujoshis of non-bl anime. Basically they transform their friendship/bromance into a relationship full of doujin and fanarts of the different ships. If you say their OTP is not canon they can give a lecture of a whole week. Right now, Moriarty and SK8 are popular, but some other popular ones are haikyuu, BNHA, Yuri on ice etc etc etc

Well... Yuri on Ice it is canon.... and straight guy I know was watching SK8 and calling it gay. Also if you call Shippers fujoshi they will have your head on a plate. I know from experience that they don’t consider themselves the same as me. People who only get into the sweet and unlabled end hate fujoshi. But when among others who consume canon stuff watching shows like this is a lot of fun. And they tend to ship and let ship and know it isn’t canon either. The shippers are something else

The most toxic group for me... since I am a fujoshi, is the shounen shippers. But the actual most toxic in not a large fandom is the anti-SJW injured at the smallest criticism like rn that is : https://myanimelist.net/anime/42361/Ijiranaide_Nagatoro-san look at the threads.
Last season that was redo the Healer
https://myanimelist.net/anime/40750/Kaifuku_Jutsushi_no_Yarinaoshi

When a fandom is so toxic I see it and I am not even in that fandom.
Energetic-NovaApr 12, 2021 1:00 AM
Apr 12, 2021 5:34 AM

May 2018
"it's hard to imagine a calm cute girl anime having an extremely toxic community"

The fandom of Yuru Camp was literally that when the first season aired...but for some reason they switched to "normal" for its second season.
In the past I hand toxic encounters with Aggressive Retsuko fans too.
Apr 12, 2021 5:54 AM
Aug 2020
fluffycow17 said:
You hear a lot about "toxic" fandoms for a bunch of anime, but I wonder if the anime itself has an effect on whether or not its community is toxic. After all, it's hard to imagine a calm cute girl anime having an extremely toxic community (Tell me if there is one).
I think it's possible that there's a certain type of anime that attracts the most toxic people for some reason, but I can't describe what it is exactly.

Yes, but that's largely due to forums and social media in my opinion. I think for 2 major reasons.

(1) Sheer Odds, eventually you are going to come across someone who is a asshole to put it diplomatically or even someone who is strongly opinionated and jaded.

(2) Lack of tone and social cues, so combine this with the 1st issue then you are likely to have some manner of arguments and toxicity. People can be rude but can be sarcastic. Sometimes it's hard to express this in text and written form. So sometimes it can come off as more provocative and aggressive then intended. As well as some people just looking for fights online.

Really, you can only enjoy what you want and maybe talk about it (I have my own stuff that I enjoy) but getting emotionally invested isn't particularly healthy in my opinion.

My most controversial like is probably Kotonoha Katsura for example since it comes from the hated anime School Days. I think the character is pretty complex and more sympathetic as most of her problems are retaliatory and I think given some explanation to why she breaks down. Personally I prefer the VN/Eroge to the anime but whatever.

Anyway, there are people who are going to not like Kotonoha because yes, she does do messed up things by the end of it. I don't think I could really force someone to interpret differently. I can explain my point of view and be done with it. I think it's a shame if they don't agree but can't help it.

So just to reiterate and make things short. I think toxicity mostly comes from division and miscommunication which is pretty normal in a fandom and an online space. Of course I personally dislike unconstructive people and especially the people with "objective" opinions.
Apr 12, 2021 5:55 AM

Jun 2020
It's not about genre. It's about popularity
Apr 12, 2021 6:01 AM
Jul 2018
If its a huge fanbase then there are more people right? Toxic or chill, any type. So it is depends on the popularity of the anime.
Apr 12, 2021 6:25 AM

Aug 2018
almost any anime can have a toxic community, unless it's some extremely obscure show, i guess.
Apr 12, 2021 6:40 AM

Jan 2021
yeah especially those who cry when people say light is better than lelouch
Apr 12, 2021 6:44 AM

Nov 2019
Every community has toxic people, not just in anime communities lol

fluffycow17 said:
After all, it's hard to imagine a calm cute girl anime having an extremely toxic community (Tell me if there is one)

And not all are cute girl animes but there are quite toxic fanbases for idol animes, which aim to be cute
tappdancing786Apr 12, 2021 6:48 AM
Apr 12, 2021 6:50 AM

Oct 2017
Energetic-Nova said:

The most toxic group for me... since I am a fujoshi, is the shounen shippers. But the actual most toxic in not a large fandom is the anti-SJW injured at the smallest criticism like rn that is : https://myanimelist.net/anime/42361/Ijiranaide_Nagatoro-san look at the threads.

Thank you, any more 'aham' recommendations of shows I shouldn't 'hum' watch, Ijiranaide Nagatoro-san was completely of my radar.
Apr 12, 2021 6:54 AM
Dec 2017
Yep just about any anime community could have one.

Apr 12, 2021 6:58 AM
Jul 2018
I think it depends on the person to be honest. Some people are more aggressive about asserting their taste in anime than others.
Apr 12, 2021 7:06 AM

Dec 2015
If a show is having a toxic fanbase it's normal people the people in that community is living in a close bubble and can't break free from it.

They are making up their own logic and tries to fight everyone that says something "bad" about their love.

And I would say that Shounen has the most toxic fanbase, we have the FMA guys hiding in the dark and acting like children, they lost their favorite toy, so now no one can have a toy.

We have the attack on titan guys, making up their own logic about what happend at the last manga chapter. They West is currently searchign after name signatures to get the author to change the ending.

Dragonball fanbase is sitting with Goku as the top strongest character in Anime history and will literally kill you if you says something else.

We have the Boku No Hero fandom, trying to force male character intorelationship, they were even sending death threats to voice actors and more of the staff working on the serie. As something happend in the Anime they didn't like.
They are still after 3 years posting on Twitter that they will never forgive Bones for "what they have done to some of the character design"

We have the SAO guys that is protecting their Anime with made up logic about how the plotarmor and holes make sense.

Normal when I see cancer on the Internet it's the Shounen guys that are literally living inside a bubble and can't break free from it.
And thanks to this their community starts becoming cancer.

People were calling Eren one of the best written character ever, but after one chapter most of the people of fanbase changed their mind and now are on a rampage on Internet about what they will do about the ending and how Eren is one of the worst written characters ever.
I do still waiting on the death threats, as that's how this Anime community is working.
They are only thinking about feeding their own EGO so they can look in the mirror and feel proud over themself.

If you want to find a fanbase that is not toxic, you need to go into more mature shows like Nodame, Nana and Erin.
Where the fanbase is small so even if their a toxic person in their he will disspear in the mist of the nice once.

But in my view, ofc the shounen is the worst one and they are every where acting arogant and can't accept logic and facts.

Apr 12, 2021 1:05 PM

Jan 2021
Yes. It’s common knowledge that Almost every anime has a toxic community.
Doesn’t matter If the anime is wholesome,
Apr 12, 2021 2:21 PM

Aug 2014
Yes ofcourse, over-zealous fanboys are toxic by nature, they just go with the ear covering and name calling against any critique. Same applies for obnoxious haters, they cant see any positive argument or respect well explained opinion. So both are opposite side of the same coin of toxicity, usually it happens with popular anime. The fanboys and the haters of the same popular show complete each other. People often blame the fanboys, but a good portion of the fanboys are just a reaction to the obnoxious haters just as much as the haters are a reaction to the over-zealous fanboys.
Apr 12, 2021 2:22 PM

Aug 2016
Yes, most of them literally do, as a matter of fact.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Apr 12, 2021 3:17 PM
Jun 2015
I am the toxic anime community for everything I watch
Apr 12, 2021 3:22 PM
Aug 2011
fluffycow17 said:

Many aspects probably affect it.

However one may even just be the raw popularity of a series. If a series is more popular then it will have a larger fandom and more active forums. It just takes a few people to inject toxicity into a forum, then the other members stop going there. So highly popular things would probably have toxic forums unless they have good moderation going on, to prevent trolls taking over.

Anything that makes a series more "debatable" would probably ramp up flame wars and toxicity too. There's nothing much to debate about K-On for example, even if a lot of people like it. So if a show expresses any type of political opinion, or there's any sort of potential for shipping different characters, then those are things people can disagree on, so they're going to get debated, and people will get tempers flared, or trolls with have some leverage.
Apr 12, 2021 3:29 PM

Mar 2020
More fans = more opportunities for toxic fans
Certain series are less likely to be toxic based on their content. Iyashikei anime is not going to have as many as something like AoT. When the shows aren't super mainstream and are so chill and relaxed and that's why people love them, there just isn't much to be toxic about.

So shows like Aria, Non Non Biyori, Yuru Camp, K-On etc. People might not like them but I really don't see people bashing them or having to defend them fervently. Most of it is competition between communities of similar anime. I have seen people heavily debating which is better etc but not really going full toxic craziness often.

I think older long running anime like Gintama, JoJo and OP also tend to be chill, I think their main fanbases are older in age now so you just don't see it as often.
Apr 12, 2021 3:40 PM

Mar 2018
Yes what the anime is about will never predict if the community is toxic or not. All communities are toxic and upcoming communities are bound to be toxic anyone saying otherwise is biased or ignorant.
Apr 12, 2021 3:47 PM

Feb 2019
Well, Attack on titan has totally toxic community.
Apr 12, 2021 3:57 PM

Sep 2020
Yes. Most of the anime have equally toxic communities, it's just that the most popular ones have the most toxic members so you can find them anywhere online.
Apr 12, 2021 5:02 PM

Mar 2017
Any anime with main characters that are evil and/or villians, if a large portion of the fans unironically likes those characters, that's quite a setup for a toxic fanbase.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Apr 12, 2021 5:08 PM

Aug 2014
I'd probably say there will always be a level of toxicity with any anime even if its a series that is as wholesome as Laid Back Camp where fans will start the

"TEAM RIN"

"TEAM NADESHIKO"

TEAM AOI"

"TEAM CHIAKI"

Apr 12, 2021 5:56 PM

Oct 2020
AOT fandom is having a heated gamer moment 24/7

Apr 13, 2021 12:15 AM

Jun 2011
Sark_Morgan said:
Energetic-Nova said:

Thank you, any more 'aham' recommendations of shows I shouldn't 'hum' watch, Ijiranaide Nagatoro-san was completely of my radar.

No, but I’m sure there’ll be some thing next season. This Fanbase is particularly fun to watch since it isn’t as predictable as battle shounen. I'm sure you wanted this to either watch the show or sit with me eating popcorn watching the fanbase flip out for no reason.

Previous entries in the saga include Goblin Slayer and Shield Hero (sadly not as toxic as the others do to high score), and ummm that one harem anime that was taken off Funimation. Forgot what it was called.

It’s pretty fun watching them.
Energetic-NovaApr 13, 2021 12:20 AM
Apr 13, 2021 2:05 AM

Oct 2017
Energetic-Nova said:

No, but I’m sure there’ll be some thing next season. This Fanbase is particularly fun to watch since it isn’t as predictable as battle shounen. I'm sure you wanted this to either watch the show or sit with me eating popcorn watching the fanbase flip out for no reason.

Previous entries in the saga include Goblin Slayer and Shield Hero (sadly not as toxic as the others do to high score), and ummm that one harem anime that was taken off Funimation. Forgot what it was called.

Gonna be honest, both, I live for the spectacle wherever it may be ;), Love watching the SJW and the anti going at each other, both complain about each other views while being basically the same, two sides of the same coin truly.

Goblin slayer was just whatever after first episode and shield-hero should've went all the way down the rabbit whole, it turn out just as a disappointment.

Like if you are going to be edgy at least be sharp all the way.
Apr 13, 2021 3:05 AM

Jun 2011
Sark_Morgan said:
Energetic-Nova said:

Gonna be honest, both, I live for the spectacle wherever it may be ;), Love watching the SJW and the anti going at each other, both complain about each other views while being basically the same, two sides of the same coin truly.

Goblin slayer was just whatever after first episode and shield-hero should've went all the way down the rabbit whole, it turn out just as a disappointment.

What is more funny is when there is no SJW , only normal criticism, and they are just shadow boxing. I love when they blame feminists and there aren’t even women being critical in the comments.

*laughs* It happens more than you think. The SJW are more likely to attack other liberals.
Apr 13, 2021 2:03 PM

Jun 2011
Sark_Morgan said:
Energetic-Nova said:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/41103/Koi_to_Yobu_ni_wa_Kimochi_Warui

Another one to watch for drama. Found it today. 😏
Apr 13, 2021 2:04 PM

Jun 2011
Sark_Morgan said:
Energetic-Nova said:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/41103/Koi_to_Yobu_ni_wa_Kimochi_Warui

Another one to watch for drama. Found it today. 😏
Apr 13, 2021 7:43 PM

Oct 2017

Damm girl you are a headhunter, would never found this one, rom com is not my cup of tea but I can see the malding at the forums already 10/10 keep an eye on it, maybe even give a watch.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 25 minutes ago

7 by deg »»
6 seconds ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

20 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 5 hours ago

23 by deg »»
10 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

62 by Pinoffin »»
21 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 2 hours ago

4 by LightWorker »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.