Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 5, 2021 1:41 PM
Apr 2020
Undertale and Genshin Impact, two good games that are sadly overrated by the fandom
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 5, 2021 5:42 PM

Mar 2021
Hot take maybe but GTAV

I dunno its pretty fun blowing things up and killing people I guess but like I cant get into it really, maybe not my cup of Abbacchio piss. Haven't played the full game yet tho
Apr 5, 2021 7:02 PM
Apr 2010
Final fantasy 7. Ugly and clunky.
Apr 5, 2021 7:17 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Everyone's gonna pull their pitchforks at me for this, but... Secret of Mana.
No, I'm not talking about the remake. Yes, you read that right.

I just don't get the love for this game.
The gameplay/combat gets really grating after a while and while a multiplayer JRPG adventure is unique, especially for the SNES, it gets really annoying when I'm about to unleash a charged attack I spent a good amount of time holding the attack button for when another player has to bring up the menu in order to land a magic spell, and then I don't even get to see if my attack made any damage. Controls feel kinda awkward like with running or walking around with the game's weird camera at times. Aside from maybe that one area where it's themed around seasons with a hidden Moogle village or something, I don't really remember many areas in the game that I haven't seen in some other game.
The game's story is a complete joke; the characters are fairly bland and/or cliché, with 3 playable characters that I swear I've seen in other better games before (Primm is literally just Marle but with way less charm... or really anything that defines a good character imo...) and a cliché villain that is just cliché beyond all clichés and has stupid obsessions with nothing NPCs that come out of nowhere. The game also feels way longer than it should be... nothing of substance really happens aside from beating up bosses to get some new magic... shit just happens and I couldn't tell you why it does or really anything... oh and some random plot twists are just casually thrown in I guess, let's just make these huge bombshells related to the main character feel like it's not a big deal or anything I guess... yeah sure, that'll totally land and not fall flat...
Sure, I'll listen to a few OST tracks every now and then, but the overall OST is not that memorable especially compared to other SquareSoft classics. I especially hate how ear-grating (AND FRICKIN FREQUENT) the boss theme is lol.

The video below actually manages to sum up how I feel about Secret of Mana.

It seems I'm in the extreme minority for this game, so I'm glad that someone else actually feels the same way towards it.
Apr 5, 2021 7:23 PM
Dec 2017
Fario-P said:

The gameplay/combat gets really grating after a while and while a multiplayer JRPG is unique (especially for the SNES), it gets really annoying when I'm about to unleash a charged attack I spent a good amount of time holding the attack button for when another player has to bring up the menu in order to land a magic spell, and then I don't even get to see if my attack made any damage. Controls feel kinda awkward like with running or walking around with the game's weird camera at times. Aside from maybe that one area where it's themed around seasons with a hidden Moogle village or something, I don't really remember many areas in the game that I haven't seen in some other game.
The game's story is a complete joke; the characters are fairly bland and/or cliché, with 3 playable characters that I swear I've seen in other better games before (Primm is literally just Marle but with way less charm... or really anything that defines a good character imo...) and a cliché villain that is just cliché beyond all clichés and has stupid obsessions with nothing NPCs that come out of nowhere. The game also feels way longer than it should be... nothing of substance really happens aside from beating up bosses to get some new magic... shit just happens and I couldn't tell you why it does or really anything... oh and some random plot twists are just casually thrown in I guess, let's just make these huge bombshells related to the main character feel like it's not a big deal or anything I guess... yeah sure, that'll totally land and not fall flat...
Sure, I'll listen to a few OST tracks every now and then, but the overall OST is not that memorable especially compared to other SquareSoft classics. I especially hate how ear-grating (AND FRICKIN FREQUENT) the boss theme is lol.

It seems I'm in the extreme minority for this game, so I'm glad that someone else actually feels the same way towards it.

I remember you and me were talking about the mana games and yeah all of those points you mentioned i 100 percent agree with and i think i've also brought up as well and i'm not going to buy another mana game ever again. :/

For me its the Mario games because yeah its more or less the same formula for the past 3 decades or so now. The only Mario games i really do like as of now is the Mario and Luigi games. (I've beaten Bowsers Inside Story and Dream team not too long ago as well too btw.)

Shame Alphadream is no longer in buisness as i really loved those games and Yoko Shimoura's music work on the series as well.

Apr 5, 2021 7:42 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Crow_Black said:
Fario-P said:

The gameplay/combat gets really grating after a while and while a multiplayer JRPG is unique (especially for the SNES), it gets really annoying when I'm about to unleash a charged attack I spent a good amount of time holding the attack button for when another player has to bring up the menu in order to land a magic spell, and then I don't even get to see if my attack made any damage. Controls feel kinda awkward like with running or walking around with the game's weird camera at times. Aside from maybe that one area where it's themed around seasons with a hidden Moogle village or something, I don't really remember many areas in the game that I haven't seen in some other game.

I remember you and me were talking about the mana games and yeah all of those points you mentioned i 100 percent agree with and i think i've also brought up as well and i'm not going to buy another mana game ever again. :/
I just realized that there's a whole bunch of stuff I didn't even mention when I typed that inital post.
Like how tedious it is to fight certain enemies that literally need charge attacks in order to do anything higher than 0 damage (lol). Or how how difficult flying anywhere to can be without looking up a map of the game's world on the internet (seriously, how on earth did anyone beat this game without the internet??). Or how you can only have 3 of each item at a time or some other ridiculous low number, including revives/Cups of Wishes. Or how that one spell that lets you check an enemy's stats and magic weakness is straight up wrong.... oh, this enemy is scared of... let's use an example, what the hell was her name, gimme a sec to find it... uhh Undine? Ok sure, lemme use Undine's spell... wait what the hell, that didn't do shit......?
My sibling likes this game more than I did, but one gripe they had when we played together was whenever they opened the treasure chest they almost ALWAYS got the death trap... lmao I felt so bad each time......

I know I kinda ranted a lot about the Kingdom Hearts series in the past, but even that's much better than this game lol

Now, while we're still talking about the Mana series, we're playing Trials of Mana atm and I'll give the series this—we've only started the game and already it's a huge improvement from Secret of Mana. The characters are a bit more interesting (I love Charlotte!), the graphics look much better, the combat is still a bit awkward but it's not as annoying... I dunno, it's definitely more interesting and I'd recommend that game far more, so I don't think you should completely write off the series. Yet.

For me its the Mario games because yeah its more or less the same formula for the past 3 decades or so now. The only Mario games i really do like as of now is the Mario and Luigi games. (I've beaten Bowsers Inside Story and Dream team not too long ago as well too btw.)

Shame Alphadream is no longer in buisness as i really loved those games and Yoko Shimoura's music work on the series as well.
Have you not played the Paper Mario series?
The Thousand Year Door is amazing with its addictive combat style and Super Paper Mario's story is literally a better Kingdom Hearts so you're bound to enjoy it easily the best in the series.

Also RIP AlphaDream.
Apr 5, 2021 7:45 PM
Dec 2017
Fario-P said:
Crow_Black said:

I just realized that there's a whole bunch of stuff I didn't even mention when I typed that inital post.
Like how tedious it is to fight certain enemies that literally need charge attacks in order to do anything higher than 0 damage (lol). Or how how difficult flying anywhere to can be without looking up a map of the game's world on the internet (seriously, how on earth did anyone beat this game without the internet??). Or how you can only have 3 of each item at a time or some other ridiculous low number, including revives/Cups of Wishes. Or how that one spell that lets you check an enemy's stats and magic weakness is straight up wrong.... oh, this enemy is scared of... let's use an example, what the hell was her name, gimme a sec to find it... uhh Undine? Ok sure, lemme use Undine's spell... wait what the hell, that didn't do shit......?
My sibling likes this game more than I did, but one gripe they had when we played together was whenever they opened the treasure chest they almost ALWAYS got the death trap... lmao I felt so bad each time......

Now, while we're still talking about the Mana series, we're playing Trials of Mana atm and I'll give the series this—we've only started the game and already it's a huge improvement from Secret of Mana. The characters are a bit more interesting (I love Charlotte!), the graphics look much better, the combat is still a bit awkward but it's not as annoying... I dunno, it's definitely more interesting and I'd recommend that game far more, so I don't think you should completely write off the series. Yet.

Have you not played the Paper Mario series?
The Thousand Year Door is amazing with its addictive combat style and Super Paper Mario's story is literally a better Kingdom Hearts so you're bound to enjoy it easily the best in the series.

Also RIP AlphaDream.

I still haven't played them yet, but i will soon since i've been finishing some games through my backlog. LOL!!! alot of my friends agree with that statement as well that Kingdom Heart's story is cancer.

I think i should also look into Trials Of Mana whenever i get the chance as well too.

Apr 5, 2021 7:50 PM

Sep 2020
I agree with Genshin.

I'll also throw in Super smash brothers, it's just some clunky game with terrible balancing mixed in with the worst online since gears of war 2.
Apr 5, 2021 7:51 PM

Oct 2020
do not kill me but final fantasy 7
Apr 5, 2021 7:53 PM

Oct 2020
i just saw someone else put that
Apr 5, 2021 11:50 PM

Oct 2019
Going by the pre-launch demo, which I assume is conducive to how the full game plays, ARMS. Super clunky, and I just didn't find it fun.
Digibutter64Apr 6, 2021 12:00 AM
Apr 6, 2021 1:17 AM

Apr 2015
Final Fantasy in general I guess, never found it all that interesting of a game series tbh.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 6, 2021 1:23 AM
Jul 2018
any multiplayer games, really. It's fun with friends but IMHO, a single-player game with a good storyline leaves much more impact on a human than any multiplayer game could ever.
Apr 6, 2021 4:38 AM

Jun 2020
i find fortnite to be overrated. its insanely popular but its toxic, cringe, and filled with retards. but i guess thats the appeal lol
Apr 6, 2021 6:35 AM

Aug 2012
Ahh shit there's a bunch.
Dark Souls
Skyrim
Sonic Adventure 2
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy whole damn series
Apr 6, 2021 7:05 AM
Aug 2020
Grand Theft Auto, I just can't get into it
Apr 6, 2021 7:13 AM

Apr 2020
Minecraft. there's so many better alternatives and most people play it purely for nostalgia. the vanilla content is so lackluster

you're never gonna be 13 again Jimmy, it's time to move on and play some terraria or valheim grow up

ㅤ ᅠㅤ join the
ᅠHayasaka club =>

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Apr 6, 2021 8:02 AM
Apr 2020
KoreanQTPie said:
Minecraft. there's so many better alternatives and most people play it purely for nostalgia. the vanilla content is so lackluster

you're never gonna be 13 again Jimmy, it's time to move on and play some terraria or valheim grow up
i really enjoy playing Minecraft but Is mostly bc of nostalgia, i think is only fun to play if you play survival with friends.
Apr 6, 2021 8:11 AM

Apr 2020
SetsunaZ said:
KoreanQTPie said:

i really enjoy playing Minecraft but Is mostly bc of nostalgia, i think is only fun to play if you play survival with friends.

that's a valid point; i'll be honest, i play it once every year or so with friends and get back into it. but we always have to put a spin on it with something like ultra hardcore mode (no regen from food, one life, etc.)

honestly, we played so much of it 5-7 years ago we've gotten burnt out

but really we can't play it without the nostalgia or putting some sort of spin on the game

ㅤ ᅠㅤ join the
ᅠHayasaka club =>

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Apr 6, 2021 9:54 AM

Mar 2021
Hyakkimaru99 said:
do not kill me but final fantasy 7

Final Fantasy in general isn't all that special in my opinion. There are more enjoyable RPG series out there, especially the Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star series.
Apr 6, 2021 11:05 AM

Mar 2014
Unpopular opinion: The Last of Us...part 1 (I didn't play part 2), only reason I bought it was because it was getting so much praise with people saying it was the game of the year (this wasn't long after the game came out) and many critics were giving it 9 or 10/10s.

Then I played it and didn't really enjoyed it, so yeah.

Apr 6, 2021 3:41 PM

Apr 2020
Fallout 3, Witcher 2, Borderlands Presequel, 2,
Apr 7, 2021 6:13 PM

Dec 2018
Devil May Cry 5

I heard so many good things about it . But I find it to be a very mediocre experience overall

Apr 7, 2021 6:45 PM

Jun 2014
Fario-P said:

The gameplay/combat gets really grating after a while and while a multiplayer JRPG adventure is unique, especially for the SNES, it gets really annoying when I'm about to unleash a charged attack I spent a good amount of time holding the attack button for when another player has to bring up the menu in order to land a magic spell, and then I don't even get to see if my attack made any damage. Controls feel kinda awkward like with running or walking around with the game's weird camera at times. Aside from maybe that one area where it's themed around seasons with a hidden Moogle village or something, I don't really remember many areas in the game that I haven't seen in some other game.

It's actually refreshing to see someone criticize Secret of Mana. Even though I found it to be half decent, and I own a CIB copy that I bought on eBay in 2008 for $35, it's still not as good as some people think. The most annoying thing about SoE to me, were the glitches. Sometimes one of the two other characters would get stuck in the wall, which would sometimes require restarting the game. This happened to me a couple of times.

In all honesty, I actually preferred Secret of Evermore, which uses the same engine, but has a more interesting storyline, and the "alchemy system," where you can find or purchase ingredients to cast spells, which I found pretty cool.

Apr 9, 2021 5:20 AM

Nov 2013
Resident Evil 7. I was just stunned when I see it was very highly rated (on GameSpot I think) as one of the greatest horror games, while what do I found is badly written psycho characters and cheap creepy looking monster and jumpscares that is not scary at all. Atmosphere was poor and the story was full of nonsense. I've played some indie games that were scarier than this.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Apr 9, 2021 5:47 AM

Dec 2018
Final Fantasy 6

I think its a good game.But many regard it as the "best" game ever made and I disagree with that. IMO it have some extremely tedious sections like the fucking ghost train or the opera, unbalanced difficulty and other problems. Still a great game but I do think its a bit overrated,,,, Sry Terra please dont cry sweetheart =P

Apr 9, 2021 2:05 PM

Feb 2015
Yuri-Crusader said:
Devil May Cry 5

I heard so many good things about it . But I find it to be a very mediocre experience overall

It's probably the best one but I don't like how the game forces you to play V if you want to do regular story mode. He's the worst character and I hate his missions.
Apr 9, 2021 4:23 PM

Apr 2016
The metal gear series and Kojima himself are severely overrated. The man makes the most convoluted stories that make absolutely no fucking sense. Not to mention he's revered as one of the best game developers out there. I don't think any of the metal gear games are any good tbh.
Apr 9, 2021 5:52 PM

Nov 2016
I feel like old popular/cllasic games that considered good back then often gets treated as masterpiece for the sake of nostalgia so there is many. Im not saying they weren't good and ofc im considering their relase date and some really were masterpiece but i think most of them getting way too much extra.

Im just gonna write some recent ones instead because i don't want to sound like hater with big list also peoples gets really defensive when you touch their nostalgic games.

NieR: Automata
Resident Evil 2 (2019)
Devil may cry 5
The Last of Us

I dropped Re 2 and Dmc 5 , Nier and Last of us were mediocore to me
Apr 9, 2021 5:57 PM

Jan 2017
Entire dragon quest series, generic storylines and run of the mill game mechanics.

And final fantasy to some extent as well, FF14 has one of the best storylines and it's a mmo for gods sake, not sure how the rest of the series holds up since cramming a story into a 40 hour game is not enough time for a story to flourish.

EDIT: Also everything from kojima, absolutely terrible story writer and world builder, trying to make a story as convoluted and outlandish as possible while giving almost zero substance or weight to anything doesn't make your story "deep" it simply makes it bad.
CneqApr 9, 2021 6:04 PM
Apr 9, 2021 6:13 PM

Nov 2020
The Last Of Us 1, thought it was 8/10 which is good. When I found out that people hailed it as the best game of all time I was confused. The only thing that really made that game good was the relationship between Joel and Ellie, the rest of the story was just ok and some of the gameplay was meh.

I even committed the sin of somewhat enjoying the second one.
thats what-she
Apr 11, 2021 5:01 PM

Nov 2017
I know its kind of a giant meme now but Among Us. It's just a stylized version of murder mystery.
Apr 12, 2021 8:13 PM
Jul 2018
Yuri-Crusader said:
Devil May Cry 5

I dislike playing as V, love playing as Dante, and am fine with playing as Nero.

Order-Sol said:
Ahh shit there's a bunch.
Dark Souls
Skyrim
Sonic Adventure 2
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy whole damn series

I was just about to say Dark Souls. I think the series is good; but I feel most of its strength comes from how artsy it is; the aesthetics, the lore, the level design. But the gameplay itself, the combat, just doesn't do it for me nearly as much.
Apr 12, 2021 11:21 PM

Feb 2018
not much, maybe Mobile Legend?
Apr 13, 2021 8:38 AM

Mar 2019
I have a few, my biggest one is that the Half-life DLC games (Opposing forces and Blueshift) are kind of bad, more so story-wise than gameplay-wise, blue shift is definitely worse than Opposing forces.

Danganronpa is a game that I found fairly decent, it wasn't a great game but it was certainly unique, I always love a good mystery, but there are games that make mysteries 10x more compelling than the ones presented in Danganronpa, for example, The return to the Obra Dinn or Superliminal. The characters are not as good as the community says they are and I just think that the games are mediocre Visual Novel/Mystery Games that have basically no replay-ability

This one isn't the most controversial but it's certainly unpopular, Bioshock is incredibly overrated, I love Bioshock 1 and I love Bioshock 2 even more but there's this unfounded love of Infinite which I just can't wrap my head around, it's like the only reason people like the game is because "the clouds are nice" and "Elizabeth is R34 material". The combat is so bland and uninspired that it's just more dry FPS garbage akin to the latest Call of Duty. And while I love Bioshock 1, that game has more flaws than many fans are willing to admit, such as the often janky mechanics, the world of warcraft fetch quest levels of backtracking, and the often boredom inducing late game, the reason people still revere that game is because of the amazing story, but I think many fans are blinded by the whole "would you kindly" twist.
Apr 13, 2021 11:05 AM

May 2013
I can't stand Zelda Breathe of the Wild.

The dungeons suck. Link is a miserable failure. The bosses are shitty. The world is empty. etc. etc.

People praise how open the game is but it is so lame, just because the game lets you do stupid shit doesn't make it good.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Apr 13, 2021 1:43 PM
Dec 2017
_Nette_ said:
I can't stand Zelda Breathe of the Wild.

The dungeons suck. Link is a miserable failure. The bosses are shitty. The world is empty. etc. etc.

People praise how open the game is but it is so lame, just because the game lets you do stupid shit doesn't make it good.

Weapons being breakable was really one of my biggest complaints about the game and so is Link being voiceless while everyone else has one lol.

Apr 14, 2021 12:49 AM

Aug 2014
anything that cant be played on my emachines 400ix.

penis lol
Apr 14, 2021 3:04 AM

Apr 2019
carseatheadrest said:
I know its kind of a giant meme now but Among Us. It's just a stylized version of murder mystery.

Lmao it feels like multiplayer Danganronpa.

On topic, probably Persona 5 actually. I do love the game but I found Persona 4 to be a lot better. P5 has a stronger story but it's characters, besides Joker, Makoto and Morgana, don't really rival the cast of P4 and the way it builds it's relationships.
my life was made with mematic.
Apr 14, 2021 5:59 AM

Jan 2015
I'm not sure how big Shadow of Mordor popularity-wise but it kind of a well-received one.

It got me in like the early opening, the precise solo player gameplay is like souls+arkham. As turn out it still can't live up went everything by design is end up for another Musou game.

la critique de l'intention pure
Apr 20, 2021 7:47 PM

Feb 2020
I'm gonna say StarCraft, maybe because I may not have been great at it, but I just couldn't make any form of defense quick enough without getting swarmed by every faction and enemy ever. Way more brutal than Dune 2000 plus it just seems a fairly standard base building RTS, I don't get why anyone would want to watch it in competitions.
Apr 20, 2021 8:24 PM
Apr 2021
Pretty much every first party Sony exclusive this/ last generation.

People get super ultra mad if you don't like their games, but I feel like they're extremely formulaic and play it incredibly safe.
They really feel like the '' oscar bait '' of video games created based on trends imo.
People gave God of War praise for '' taking risks '' with the reboot but.... Did it actually take risks?.........
I don't think so, everything about it feels like it played it safe based on popular trends.

Not saying that the games are bad, but a lot of people talk about them as if they're literally the only games that exist and matter and Sony fanboys are truly insufferable online.

Modern RPG's kinda make me sad too because most of them have become so shallow and it's hard to even consider them RPG's anymore.
They feel more like action games with some RP elements tacked on.

Edit: On the note of RPG's, Skyrim...
I think it was Totalbiscuit who said something along the line of '' it's an ocean of content with the depth of a swimming pool '' and that's basically how I feel about it too.
I've tried so many times to install a billion mods just to make it enjoyable but I get bored so fast.

In fairness I did enjoy it the first time around, but then it sunk in.
SvalrApr 20, 2021 8:43 PM
Apr 20, 2021 8:33 PM

Feb 2021
Cyberpunk 2077, it got rated 85 in Metacritic even though its still has some of graphical and game breaking bugs. Low Performance in PS4 and XBOX One and it still retained the corrupt save file bug in PS4.

Metacritic Rating:https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cyberpunk-2077

Apr 23, 2021 2:05 AM

Mar 2021
Everyone and their mama overhyped P5 so I went in with high expectations but it was just a mediocre jrpg with flashy visuals.
Apr 26, 2021 8:04 AM

Apr 2020
Smash Bros, fortnite, pubg, rainbow six siege, valorant, overwatch. And most of all FIFA and sports games
Apr 26, 2021 8:49 AM

Aug 2020
Genshin impact, GTAV, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts

Apr 26, 2021 9:42 AM
Jan 2021
Undertale, Life is Strange, Bioshock, and the Walking Dead
Apr 26, 2021 9:47 AM

Aug 2016
Here is a list ig.
Final Fantasy Games
Zelda Games
Skyrim
God of War (New One)
Bloodborne
Destiny 2
Genshin
Last of Us 2
Fall Guys
Valorant
Among Us
Assassins Creed Valhalla
Animal Crossing Games
Apr 28, 2021 3:27 AM

May 2014
the entirety of Kingdom Hearts as a franchise, but especially 3. I give 2 a pass cos 2 was pretty good despite its flaws but honestly it should have just ended there.
Apr 28, 2021 9:18 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
mintiel said:
the entirety of Kingdom Hearts as a franchise, but especially 3. I give 2 a pass cos 2 was pretty good despite its flaws but honestly it should have just ended there.
I agree with you completely and wholeheartedly, including that it should have ended after KH2.
I even made a giant rant post in the past about this if you're interested lmao

still better than Secret of Mana tho. except for KH3 of course, that one still sucks more.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Switch 2 launching with Breath of the Wild Remake!?

rohan121 - May 12

12 by KenaiPhoenix »»
6 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3557 by DesuMaiden »»
8 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

18 by DesuMaiden »»
9 hours ago

» Whixh is the best Pc for playing games?

Abd56ullah - Yesterday

4 by DesuMaiden »»
9 hours ago

» What are your PC specs

ST63LTH - May 5

15 by DesuMaiden »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.