Forum Settings
Forums

Kingdom Hearts the most Over Rated RPG Franchise ever

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 1, 2012 5:20 PM
Jul 2012
A game became popular and they decided to whore it out, i don't see what's so surprising about this. Especially considering this is Square.

KH1 is pretty much the only worthwhile game out of the series for me, story tried too hard and became convoluted(although admittedly i haven't played BBS.... yet).
Oct 1, 2012 6:07 PM

Sep 2012
Lol I stopped playing the games.

Story is too bothersome.
Oct 1, 2012 6:27 PM

Aug 2009
Not as overrated as Final Fantasy. And I don't really care. The first Kingdom Hearts was great, and that's pretty much the only game that matters in the series.
Oct 1, 2012 6:42 PM

Jan 2008
dietmango said:
Not as overrated as Final Fantasy. And I don't really care. The first Kingdom Hearts was great, and that's pretty much the only game that matters in the series.

You could probably say one reason KH is so overrated is because of the Final Fantasy crossovers and concept. The entire battle system is pretty much Final Fantasy but in a real time action RPG rather a turn based. Even has the same commands and skills.

I honestly stopped keeping up with the franchise around Birth by Sleep. I'll still play 3 when it comes out but who the hell knows when that'll be. I won't touch the rest series. They're milking it so much, even making a remake of Final Mix, CoM and some other one into a Ps3 version... so bothersome.

I will agree the franchise is overrated, but doesn't mean they're not fun/enjoyable.
PaulOct 1, 2012 6:46 PM
Oct 2, 2012 12:19 AM

Dec 2008
Otaking87 said:

ACtions RPG on PS2 that i Have played witch are better than any KH game
Just to name four

oh so you have played the 10-15 KH games there is
Oct 2, 2012 12:30 AM

Aug 2009
Paul said:
dietmango said:

You could probably say one reason KH is so overrated is because of the Final Fantasy crossovers and concept. The entire battle system is pretty much Final Fantasy but in a real time action RPG rather a turn based. Even has the same commands and skills.

I honestly stopped keeping up with the franchise around Birth by Sleep. I'll still play 3 when it comes out but who the hell knows when that'll be. I won't touch the rest series. They're milking it so much, even making a remake of Final Mix, CoM and some other one into a Ps3 version... so bothersome.

I will agree the franchise is overrated, but doesn't mean they're not fun/enjoyable.

Yeah, pretty much. And that action RPG system is getting implemented in Versus XIII (who knows when that comes out as well). I'm not saying that the games that followed the first KH were bad; far from it. KH's gameplay holds up pretty well I think, and it's still fun. It's them trying hard to be dark and making the story too convoluted really soured my view of the series in general. I'll probably end up playing KH3 as well, despite me constantly denying that I actually will.

Speaking of PS3 version, Squeenix announced a KH collection recently. The crazy thing is that KH2 will not be in that package.
Oct 2, 2012 12:33 AM
Mar 2011
kyrie_kyo said:
Otaking87 said:

ACtions RPG on PS2 that i Have played witch are better than any KH game
Just to name four

oh so you have played the 10-15 KH games there is

i mentiond PS2 you compere Just action RPGs on that Console let alone the RPGs on PSP that are better than any ga,e that SE have made since the Merger as iv said SE have been bad since the Merger FFX FFX-2 FF XI [ One High Ponit in 12 years] XII [ iv ranted on that ] now Squareenix are forgeting there Home market with most of there supposed Good newer games right 2 so called good good games were Cero Z in Japan [ therr home Market] so not many big game chains will carry them games good Bissuness sense that makes SE

as i said this im going to try and open this topic as as the downfall of square but i Started with the title i did
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 2, 2012 6:38 AM

Jun 2012
dietmango said:

Speaking of PS3 version, Squeenix announced a KH collection recently. The crazy thing is that KH2 will not be in that package.

That's not crazy, That's smart for them.

Put KH2 in a second package that would mean more money for them. KH fans will just eat it up...
Apr 11, 2020 8:09 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Sorry for necro'ing some nearly-8-year-old thread, but a family member's recently been playing some of the Kingdom Hearts games (as well as letting me play here and there sometimes)... so I feel like adding in my two cents to this conversation.

I dunno if I really feel that the KH series is overrated, but I do feel that KH is certainly not my kind of thing.
Don't get me wrong, the little we've played of it so far does have its moments. I definitely agree with pretty much everybody that Yoko Shimomura's music work is pretty good—maybe the OST isn't as memorable as her work in Super Mario RPG (unless you count Dearly Beloved, of course), but there are definitely some great pieces here. The gameplay is actually pretty interesting and does a good job at appealing to both RPG fans and action fans... though Re:Chain of Memories can be hell to play through with its card system (don't get me wrong, I know and understand why the card system exists in the first place). The original characters may not stick with me much, but their designs are actually pretty decent and I do like what the series does with them here and there (so far I think my favorite's probably Naminé?).
Some of the character moments, like some funny bits between Sora, Donald, and Goofy, are actually pretty charming. I wish these games had more of this kind of light-hearted, kinda goofy (no pun intended) stuff like in Super Mario RPG... I feel like this kind of tone fits the Disney side of this odd crossover a bit better.

I feel like the thing that keeps me from loving this series like a lot of people apparently do is the attempt at a more mature story.
Look, I like both dark and light-hearted stuff, but for some reason I can't like this series too unironically... maybe cuz I feel like it tries too hard. I will admit that there are a couple of interesting story bits, but like what other people stated here, stuff like the series' dialogue/writing kinda ruins it... I feel so tired of hearing the words "darkness" over and over lol.
Maybe I can't take the series all that seriously because I keep being reminded that this is a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy and with the Disney side taking over, it feels really weird to see a complicated Square-styled story here. Maybe it's because Disney continues to frustrate me to the point where I actually don't like Disney as much as I used to, so seeing Disney plastered here feels so cheap or something? Maybe it's because I've grown up and find the attempt at a dark story to be immature in comparison? I really don't know.

It's really weird that I can't like the series all that much or understand why it's not for me, because I can name a few things that can actually be reasonably compared to KH... and yet I like those things a lot. The first thing that immediately comes to my mind is Super Paper Mario.

You can laugh at me for comparing this to that, but... Super Paper Mario also is a game that is primarily action-based (with its platforming), but it also has RPG elements on the side. The main characters have to travel to different dimensions, or worlds, to stop some entity from covering the whole universe in darkness, and the whole game revolves around hearts. Sounds familiar?

It seems ridiculous that a more mature story was put with the more light-hearted nature of the Mario universe... but somehow, this game pulls it off very well. Is it because of the writing? Is it because of the foreshadowing with each chapter? Is it because a darker story was already done in a Paper Mario game before (the later chapters of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door)? I dunno, but somehow I actually feel invested with this game's story.

Another thing that I can easily compare to KH is Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.

This manga is actually a crossover between CLAMP's past work and their most recent manga at the time, xxxHolic. The main characters here are made up of characters from different dimensions (or, yet again, worlds) and they have to travel through various worlds together. The story gets darker at a certain point and only gets more darker (and complicated) as it goes on, and there's some super diabolical plan by some Big Bad as it all goes through... I'd say the similarities to KH are perhaps more obvious here than with Super Paper Mario lol.
But I feel like CLAMP nailed this dark story thing much much better than SE did for KH... I dunno, for me, the impact felt more stronger and so I felt way more invested, even if I started to not understand the story after a certain point near the ending. (Man, I really need to re-read this manga...) Maybe it's because I've grown up with CLAMP's Cardcaptor Sakura and I still love it (started to read Magic Knight Rayearth recently and I love the characters already lol), so the crossover appeal works better for me; I literally have never touched a FF game and, as I've already said, I've started to lose my childhood affection for Disney over time, so I guess the crossover appeal in KH doesn't work for me.

Look, I dunno, I won't hate you if you love KH (in fact, two of my friends are diehard KH fans). As I've said before, I just don't think it's my kind of thing.

Lmao sorry for my huge walls of ranty text (I put the pics so your eyes hopefully don't get hurt from seeing nothing but text lol), but I guess I felt like I wanted to put my unpopular opinion out there. I guess the best that this necro'ing is doing is bringing this conversation to a new world that finally has KH3.
Also @DeWinter was totally right about the packaging decisions, KH2.5 would later come after 1.5 and there's also now 2.8 and 1.5 + 2.5 lmaoooo
Apr 11, 2020 8:45 PM

May 2013
Wait a minute...

That's illegal.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Apr 11, 2020 8:48 PM

Jun 2014
I've never played anything in the KH franchise, but I own two KH collections for the PS4, so I'll give you my opinion once I've played them.

Apr 12, 2020 7:03 AM

Aug 2009
@Fario-P: I disagree, but I respect your opinion.

Everyone else who's being mad though:

Apr 13, 2020 7:48 AM

Jul 2013
I agree with all of the above, but then again, the franchise was sold originally to kids. I also doubt that KH4 would outsell DQ11 and Square Enix as of late is only good for Dragon Quest, which like Digimon, is more suited for more mature audiences than KH's or even Pokemon's target audience.

Again, Square Enix is only good for Dragon Quest just as Disney is only good for Marvel movies. Even the latest Disney IPs like Frozen and Tangled have mediocre sales output compared to Marvel films, so I doubt KH4 would be successful at featuring any future Disney characters like they're celebrities or VIPs.
Kurt_IrvingApr 13, 2020 8:00 AM
Apr 13, 2020 8:26 AM

Jun 2016
Kingdom hearts isn't even an RPG, nu far cry is more of an RPG than kingdom hearts.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 14, 2020 6:26 PM

Sep 2007
Kingdom Hearts III is the worst game I've played in 10 years.

Apr 28, 2020 10:38 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Here I am again guys, this time with the hit sequel to this long-ass post I made that revived this thread again to begin with. Hear me out guys, this post is actually new cuz my family member's finally finished 1.5 and 2.5 on our PS3, and finished KH3 just yesterday. We don't have all the games (aka we don't have 2.8) but honestly we don't care. (...Actually I care a little bit that we skipped Dream Drop Distance, it has The World Ends With You characters and I actually know them cuz I'm almost done with that game, so I feel sad that we don't get to see them hahaha)
I caught myself up on the story by looking stuff up anyway and my family member, who actually seems to like KH, wanted to play KH3 anyway.
So let me give my two cents yet again.

Okay now that we've seen a good amount of what Kingdom Hearts has to offer, I personally can say now that I think it's kinda overrated. Definitely not my kind of thing.

EDIT 07/16/2020:

Okay family member finally got try out 2.8 thanks to Game Pass. Didn't feel like necrobumping this with a new post, so you're welcome for me not disturbing you with more of my rants placed right in your face I guess.
Dream Drop Distance is just as convoluted as I thought and adds in some ridiculous stuff and a few retcons that I wasn't happy with. Though I finally finished The World Ends With You (which is so much better than most of these KH games that it's laughable), so for once the Disney x Square Enix crossover in this game kinda worked for me... EXCEPT that Dream Drop Distance kinda butchered three of the five characters from TWEWY that showed up, and even bothered to spoil a post-game detail from that game. If y'all don't somehow see what's wrong with this, then imagine something like a certain character from Chrono Trigger showing up and then they immediately turn into whatever they are in the post-game seconds later (not gonna give specifics cuz I'm not mean). I just finished TWEWY's main game, but I was gonna wait some time to bother with post-game so... thanks for spoiling that for me, Nomura.
0.2 Birth by Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage (yes, I'm just as baffled as you all are on how that's a real title) is thankfully pretty short, but it also felt pointless and decided to retcon events around the ending of KH1 just to justify itself. I guess it's some cool fanservice for Aqua fans?
X Back Cover... well, there's a MAL page for this movie and I already put my thoughts on that for its discussion forum thread, so I'm not gonna bother reiterating here.

ok end of update now i guess

Ridiculously huge and giant post incoming!!!

First off, I really feel like I need to point this out right away—I learned to dislike the Disney world venturing, even though it's a big part of the games.
I get tired when my family member's literally binging each game with little to no breaks and I keep seeing the same world over and over again. Some of the worlds I actually like show up like once—I swear Olympus is in every game (though at least it does feel different with some of its appearances, it was cool to see Hercules before his prime in Birth By Sleep and Meg in KH2) and worlds like Cinderella's world and Deep Jungle (yes, I liked it and Tarzan even though all the tree/forest/vine-swinging/whatever levels looked the goddamn same to me) only appear in the games they debut in.
It's pretty bad in games like Re:Chains of Memories and Re:Coded (even though Re:Coded in 2.5 was a movie, but honestly that makes the game look worse lol) cuz it really does feel like a literal re-hash. I want to say I hate the Frozen world, but thankfully I wasn't around to see that when my family member played that part (yes I do dislike Frozen, but no I was legitimately too busy to watch them playing it. I had low expectations for that world anyway lol).
It's kinda sad that my favorite worlds aren't even the Disney ones—it's the KH original ones, Traverse Town kinda caught my eye and Twilight Town, while not as iconic to me as it is to others (that's because I already grew up with Paper Mario's Twilight Town lolololol, it came out first before Chain of Memories anyway fight me), is pretty nice and I do now understand why people like that world. I don't think I actually have a single favorite, but these worlds do stand out.

Yoko Shimomura's music is wonderful as always.
End of the World's theme gets me in a way Chrono Cross's Garden of the Gods does. Lazy Afternoons makes me reflect a lot, and I don't just mean by the name lol. The Other Promise definitely rivals Chrono Cross's People Imprisoned By Destiny for probably-the-most-heartwrenching-video-game-song-for-probably-ever.

And that's just some highlights of the music of these games, it's genuinely great. I honestly am not sure what much else to say about her work, cuz everyone else already did that better.

Of course, with my family member mainly playing these games, I can't say much on gameplay... but I have gotten to play some of it during stuff like needing to grind for EXP or Command EXP or whatever. It's okay, it's fine... Nomura clearly wanted to mix action gameplay with RPG elements to appeal to the action-loving Western audience and the RPG-loving Japanese audience and I'd say he and the devs did a good job on that part. The final bosses of each game are tiring though, my family member hates the multiple phases for these bosses in nearly each of these games. I still say that (Re:)Chain of Memories can be hell to play through. I'm glad that the card system was a one-time thing, BBS's Command system is a much better system for these mobile titles. The D-Link feature isn't as cool as just standard Summons, though.
Though I will say that KH2 looks absolutely frickin insane with what AP skills (whatever they're called, sorry already forgetting) you can equip in that game; I didn't get to play much of KH2 cuz I just let my family member have fun and enjoy the ride the whole way through, but I feel bad that I didn't get to try a little because the Drive forms look awesome (they seem to play awesome too, my family member was sad that the Drive forms seem to be only for KH2 and I am sad too lol).
Anti/Rage Form looks frickin awesome even if it's actually a penalty form. I'm sad that my family member never got to see/use Final Form.

The story is nuts. Absolutely frickin nuts.
I heard that Nomura was originally gonna end the whole franchise at KH2 right then and there. That would essentially (and literally) make KH2 the Pokémon Gold and Silver of Kingdom Hearts. Honestly... if KH was not gonna be just the first game, then he honestly should've just left it at three games. Just frickin end it at KH2; it started adding some twists, but it doesn't go as nuts as later games would and KH2's story as a whole wasn't that bad. Unfortunately he didn't end it, and instead of adding onto it in neat ways like Pokémon did for the next 3 gens, it just... look, I dunno guys. My head hurts, and my eyes hurt. Do I know hurt? I guess so from my shitty childhood school days, and I don't think this series is exactly helping.
As I've said before, the series still does have its moments. There's goofy (no pun intended?) moments with the main three and some of the Disney fanservice, while not as good as their actual movies, are okay. Again, I still wish the games were more of this light-hearted-ness like in Super Mario RPG, instead of all the complicated darkness darkness light dark heart dark memories light dark friendship darkness. I'm seriously sick of the word darkness at this point; I feel like it's gonna ruin stuff like Madoka Magica or Prétear for me now, cuz those are all about "darkness" but done in a more stomachable and not-as-vague way.

I've mentioned before that some of the characters were cool and specifically mentioned Naminé. ...Uh..............
I really don't care for most of the characters too much. Sorry, I tried. The female characters have it the worst, it seems. Naminé is still okay and actually does things and has a nice yet simple design, but Kairi is legitimately the worst character in the whole frickin franchise. She looks pretty in KH2 but it seems that's all I cared about her for. The games seem to ship her and Sora together, and while I normally agree with the canon ship in most cases, I'm actually not convinced that they love each other or anything (for once I actually understand why ships like SoraxRiku exists and looks more plausible lol).
I still don't understand why Xion as a character exists, but I like her slightly more than Kairi simply cuz she actually does something. I know that Aqua is one of the fan-favorites, she and her skillset are okay... but for some reason I still don't care for her that much. If someone told me they liked KH for its strong female characters or whatever blah blah blah, I honestly have some reason to doubt because I've personally seen better female characters...... in Square games too! (Speaking of which, I'm sorry for shitting on your attack stats during my childhood, Kid! You and your Australian accent are one of the best Square characters ever!)
(edit 7/16/2020: also forgot to mention characters like Marle and Ayla from Chrono Trigger and Shiki from The World Ends With You as examples of better female characters from SE games for some reason... also lmao edit again 10/5/2020 I somehow forgot to mention Lucca from Chrono Trigger too... man I need to stop getting obsessed with this stupid post and get a life lol)
I think my favorite character might actually be Roxas. Sora's a cool character and I hate what KH3 did to him (as well as a bunch of shit that game's story did rofl), but idk I really really like and care for Roxas even though I don't care for what KH3 did to him for some reason. I feel bad for Ventus and the terrible things that happened to him, but for some reason I don't like him as much as Sora and Roxas, even though his kiddie antics or whatever and speedy skillset and Wingblade and Salvation command are cool. (Still surprised Jesse McCartney voiced a KH character, I guess that makes sense why he showed up in Disney Channel here and there back then.)
Riku's okay I guess. Terra's okay I guess. Xehanort is tiring with how many of him there are but he was a cool villain until KH3's ending (edit 7/16/2020: dunno what i'm talking about, Xehanort is a shitty villain and I don't know why the game tries to redeem this guy). Vanitas scares me a little cuz Sora's voice actor also voices him but somehow seems so eerily different, props to Haley Joel Osment (aka "I see dead people" kid). Don't know how to feel on the rest or I probably forgot about them, idk guys sorry. Also poor Axel and RIP ice cream time. He's my family member's favorite character.

...Okay...
tl;dr Kingdom Hearts is not my thing and that's okay if you like it.
The best game is probably KH2 with its awesome combat system and that it was the only game where I actually felt somewhat more invested in the story unironically. KH1 and (Re:)CoM are still okay and worth playing if you want to get into KH, but KH2 really outshines them in comparison. I understand why it's the fan-favorite now.
I guess the only real good thing about experiencing these games is so that I can watch and understand all the dank Kingdom Hearts memes and Just A Pancake's KH memes. The KH fanbase comes up with surprisingly hilarious memes.
Fario-POct 5, 2020 2:30 PM
May 4, 2020 12:16 PM

Jan 2019
Some other people in this thread have already said some valid points, but I also think that something that plays a big role in KH's popularity is just the fact that it's super nostalgic for some people, and they want to see their favorite characters and where the story will go.
Feb 10, 2021 2:37 PM
Dec 2017
I've been into Kingdom Hearts since i was a kid and i wouldn't call it overated more like abused by disney and square to an extent.

Feb 10, 2021 3:38 PM

Feb 2016
Fario-P said:
You can laugh at me for comparing this to that, but... Super Paper Mario also is a game that is primarily action-based (with its platforming), but it also has RPG elements on the side. The main characters have to travel to different dimensions, or worlds, to stop some entity from covering the whole universe in darkness, and the whole game revolves around hearts. Sounds familiar?

It seems ridiculous that a more mature story was put with the more light-hearted nature of the Mario universe... but somehow, this game pulls it off very well. Is it because of the writing? Is it because of the foreshadowing with each chapter? Is it because a darker story was already done in a Paper Mario game before (the later chapters of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door)? I dunno, but somehow I actually feel invested with this game's story.

It never occurred to me that Super Paper Mario could be compared to Kingdom Hearts! I was so much more invested in the story of Super Paper Mario than that of any other Mario, Kingdom Hearts, or Final Fantasy. I even considered naming my account after that game!
But Kingdom Hearts can't possibly be the most overrated RPG franchise, because it's not Persona.
その目だれの目?
Feb 10, 2021 6:12 PM

Sep 2012
DateYutaka said:
-Atomsk- said:
Calling other people's opinion wrong eh? If people think this is the best thing ever let them think that. What's the point of telling them they're wrong?

there doing so in such a way that its Irksome and so matter of fact i

Fantastic, I love the KH series, and are you gonna change my mind? Definitely not lmao.
Feb 10, 2021 6:31 PM

Sep 2020
The only thing I like about the KH series was the KH2 gameplay
Feb 11, 2021 3:06 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

14 by JaniSIr »»
7 minutes ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3720 by Inuki »»
4 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3513 by Tamamolicki »»
8 hours ago

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

50 by Strahan »»
Yesterday, 4:32 PM

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 12:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.