Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 3, 2021 9:12 AM

Jan 2014
I prefer the adventure like Shounen anime. Ones that have a huge cast of characters and with a good amount of action.

One Piece is peak Shounen, and is the golden ideal of how others should follow it's execution.

While I did like JJK, most of the time it didn't feel like a Shounen. It only felt like that briefly with the team battle match towards the end. If anything it's really a Seinen anime
DoctorWasabiApr 3, 2021 9:16 AM
Apr 3, 2021 9:25 AM

Dec 2010
I like most shounen yes even Fairy Tail there is nothing wrong with it my favorites are One Piece, FMA:Brotherhood I also love Dr Stone I love Shaman King I am glad it got a reboot so that I can see a favorite manga of mine fully animated.
Apr 3, 2021 9:30 AM
May 2016
I'd say I like most of those, but it tends to vary depending on the quality

I like Neverland's mental battles but the characters are on the flat side

Dr. Stone is one of my favorites because it had great characters and it has characters who use intelligence as a winning tactic rather than always just having it come down to who can punch the hardest. The series also has really good themes about appreciating the modern world and how what we view as trivial is actually really amazing.

FT, BC, SDS, and EZ are like popcorn to me, I enjoy them, but they're lacking in substance

Gintama is my favorite shonen of all time thanks to it's combination of themes, light hearted moments, dark moments, plot, and amazing, grounded(relatively) action

I love what I've seen of JJK, but just because of its great action and animation, but because of its discussion on ideals, philosophy, and even some politics here and there. It also had a great female cast that isn't constantly being sexualized, which is a key for me, as I like the idea of a Shonen series, but with women, I can enjoy male characters, but if they were gone(with exceptions) I wouldn't lose sleep

I know I'm rambling a lot, but my preferencd is in the details so I'd prefer to go into some detail
Apr 3, 2021 9:43 AM

Mar 2016
Good worldbuilding I guess like One piece.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Apr 3, 2021 9:46 AM

Jul 2020
I love Shounen with very diverse and loveable characters plus great world building, power systems and of course villains. Don't forget good humor too. Tbh I hate how every Jump title need to incorporate humor, where in fact only a few authors have a knack in that area.

Considering these criteria, Shounen titles that I love would be;

- One Piece
- Gintama
- HXH
- Jojo
- Magi
- FMAB

I accept random friend requests!
Apr 3, 2021 10:47 AM

Feb 2021
Just as long as it’s interesting like lot of fighting and cool power ups.
Apr 3, 2021 12:21 PM

Sep 2012
I don't really watch Shonen anymore. But my top 3 are HxH, One Piece and FMAB.
Apr 3, 2021 12:35 PM
Jul 2016
I liked Reborn, the concept of a mafia battle shonen intrigued me.

FMAB had great world building and the story was complete

Also Bleach, i really like the power system and how each faction has their own ability

But my favourite shonen rn has to be World Trigger. The MC is a true underdog, the fights are great with all the tactics and strategy, the power system is the best i've seen in shonen and it has a large cast so I really like it. Other new gen shonen are decent but World Trigger imo is just better.

Inazuma Eleven is also a great sports anime and one of my personal favourites, great character development and hype moments, defo the sports anime i've enjoyed the most watching.
Akwithno47Apr 3, 2021 12:49 PM
Apr 3, 2021 12:53 PM

Mar 2019
My favorite 5 shounen is: 1:HxH 2:Gintama
3:fmab/one piece 4: aot 5: jojo

I like shounen that have dark element, interesting idea and good action

P.s sorry if my english is not good
Apr 3, 2021 2:43 PM

Dec 2014
I like shonen where the protagonist doesn't have the ability to warp reality to disgusting levels through ideals alone and reality will always reach through and give them a beating if they start any of that power of friendship, blindly not giving up nonsense. So Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, HxH and One Piece.

Also Gurren Lagann.
Apr 3, 2021 2:51 PM

Aug 2017
Shounen tier: JJK/MHA/Demon Slayer > BC/Bleach/DBZ/DB >> One Piece/FMAB/GT > Naruto/Fire Force > Fairy Tail/Dragon Ball Super
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 3, 2021 2:57 PM

Jul 2020
I only vibe with a lot of old shounen nowadays like Gintama, GTO, and Hajime no Ippo. I still enjoy shounen today though but yeah it’s hard for me to vibe with superpower shounen
Apr 3, 2021 3:06 PM

Apr 2015
My personal favorites are Space Cobra, Ginga nagareboshi Gin, Devilman, Cyborg 009, Captain Tsubasa, Slam Dunk, Ace of Diamond, Major, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Pandora Hearts and Yu-Gi-Oh!. Hm, that's more so about manga (but since I like these titles I have some sort attachment to the adaptations too) and I feel reasons vary why I dig these titles, but I guess all of them have some level of action going on. I'd say I'm more so sucker for sports genre when it comes to shounen. But I think first four titles I mentioned just hit differently for me and have also strong nostalgia value so I like going back to them every now and then. Favorite over everything else is still Space Cobra and I doubt any other title will take its place.

Only titles I can think of for now that I'm interested to check more are Hell teacher Nube, Princess Resurrection, Star of the Giants and Tomorrow's Joe.
konkeloApr 3, 2021 3:25 PM
Apr 3, 2021 3:13 PM

Oct 2017
What is the ideal piece of YA fiction is basically what you are asking. Shonen has a lot of variety as a demographic I wouldn't say there is an ideal for me.
Apr 3, 2021 4:08 PM

Aug 2020
hmm, maybe the dark and gritty series? idkk

♥️ 𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓵𝓲𝓼𝓽 ♥️

“𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓵𝔂 𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓻𝓸𝓶𝓪𝓷𝓬𝓮, 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪, 𝔀𝓲𝓵𝓵 𝓵𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓲𝓭.” – 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪 𝓐𝓲𝓼𝓪𝓴𝓪

Apr 3, 2021 4:11 PM

Jul 2013
cool action, likeable characters... particularly characters who actually get along with each other... also it's gotta have some twists and not be totally predictable
Apr 4, 2021 6:55 AM

Oct 2017
From the ones you listed, probably dark and gritty and sci-fi.
Apr 4, 2021 7:02 AM

Feb 2021
Gintama - a series full of parody and jokes, but hardcore during battle scenes..
One Piece - a series full Adventure...
Bleach - a series full of Shinigami's, Arrancars, Hollows and Quincy.
Apr 4, 2021 8:33 AM

Nov 2016
Shonen is usually always my cup of tea no matter what kind of Shonen.
Guess I’m pretty mainstream xd
Apr 4, 2021 11:04 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Darker atmosphere and strategic rock paper scissors combat, I need a series that isn't to friendship based where the main characters have no chance of being harmed, and where power levels don't determine fights as much as strategy and power interactions.
Apr 4, 2021 11:19 AM

Apr 2010
Ummm... Magic with fighting, I think.

Apr 4, 2021 11:33 AM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
Nothing against shounen although I'm more of a seinen fan personally but basically I just like JoJo's (PART 6 CONFIRMED EARLIER TODAY!) and Saiki K.

My Hero Academia's alright too

I've been meaning to watch Death Note, FMA and Attack on Titan someday too
My greatest contribution to this website:
Apr 4, 2021 1:10 PM

Feb 2018
Being a big shonen fan myself, I've to say that my overall 'taste' on it is.. well.. it doesn't really matter.
If it is dark and gritty or light-hearted doesnt really matter too much for me, I'm a fool for the power of friendship, tournament arcs and so on lol
Apr 4, 2021 4:54 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
all of them. I like all types of shows. My "taste" is not specific. It never has been and never will be.

Well, technically speaking, it is specific. But not to the point that I prefer something "dark and griddy" over something "kiddish." I can enjoy anything and everything and I'm not gonna shut myself out from new experiences just because it's different.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2021 4:59 PM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
I've always been a big fan of lighthearted adventure shounen. Genres like adventure and fantasy are also my favorites with games and books so similar type of stuff
Apr 4, 2021 6:21 PM
Dec 2019
"Dark and Gritty like JJK and KNY"
I don't get how any of these could be classified as "dark and gritty"

Altough to be honest I haven't finished any of them, so I can be wrong, but other shonen series like AOT, Chainsaw Man (altough I haven't read it), Claymore (haven't read it yet too) and Death Note seems to fall much better under this category

Now, for the original question, I think anything goes, except usually for the battle centric ones
ImNOTAmOtakuApr 4, 2021 6:46 PM
Apr 4, 2021 6:41 PM
Dec 2019
PirateHasan said:
UberBat said:
ok to name some actual shounen I've recently enjoyed (past year)

Black Clover, One Piece, JJK, Gintama, Demon Slayer, Haikyuu, Jojo, Kono Oto Tomare, Saiki k, Dr. Stone, Moriarty the Patriot

Do give Kingdom a chance, you'll definitely like it.
The anime adaption for first 2 seasons is pretty bad as to how good looking the manga is, but season 3 has been picked by a different studio with better animation.

Isn't Kingdom a seinen tough? (altough it have plenty of aspects and tropes that make it seem like just a shounen with extra violence and sex, not to say it's bad tough because it's fucking amazing)
Apr 4, 2021 7:05 PM

Nov 2020
Jujutsu Kaisen being gritty is what made me give it a 10 because it something I don't see everyday, but I think a comedy sci-fi with medium stakes like Dr. Stone would be a formula I would like to see repeated.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2021 7:44 PM

Jun 2016
Anime: Gintama season 1-2
Manga: pre-timeskip One Piece
Apr 4, 2021 9:43 PM

Sep 2020
Probably the big 3 like hxh,fmab,and aot

But although i like both fmab and hxh,i dont care about fullmetal that much,or probably ijust looking forward to t

hxh,i doubt this would be a 10 and meruem will be my favs,but it is actually my least favorite fanbase,almost 99% are fucking obnoxious,they cant divide subjectivity and objectivity at all and better not talk about downvotes,burn in hell.
Apr 4, 2021 10:43 PM
Jan 2021
My taste for a shonene is id like it to be dark but not too dark like jjk or aot something like dbz naruto or bleach
Apr 5, 2021 1:40 AM
Dec 2015
it would be something out of ordinary, act age is great but the author killed his own career, smile down the runway is also great, i like thriller, like promised neverland, shounen boys are kinda boring nowadays for me so, i trying to look for the odds ones
Apr 5, 2021 2:00 AM

Aug 2020
My personal tastes for shonens are the non-battle ones and the ones more forced on romance and funny stuff. Stuff like YLIA, Quintessential Quintuplets, Tonikawa and Toilet Bound Hanako-Kun is the sort of shonens I like. Though i'd say that Demon Slayer is a pretty good shonen even though I don't like battle shonen's.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Apr 5, 2021 2:30 AM

Jan 2017
ImNOTAmOtaku said:
PirateHasan said:

Do give Kingdom a chance, you'll definitely like it.
The anime adaption for first 2 seasons is pretty bad as to how good looking the manga is, but season 3 has been picked by a different studio with better animation.

Isn't Kingdom a seinen tough? (altough it have plenty of aspects and tropes that make it seem like just a shounen with extra violence and sex, not to say it's bad tough because it's fucking amazing)

Exactly my point,
just an added extra touch of violence, otherwise it has the Shonen elements only.
But there is NO explicit sex in Kingdom. Other than that, Kingdom is worth reading.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Apr 5, 2021 2:33 AM

Jan 2017
WaveyAk said:
I liked Reborn, the concept of a mafia battle shonen intrigued me.

FMAB had great world building and the story was complete

Also Bleach, i really like the power system and how each faction has their own ability

But my favourite shonen rn has to be World Trigger. The MC is a true underdog, the fights are great with all the tactics and strategy, the power system is the best i've seen in shonen and it has a large cast so I really like it. Other new gen shonen are decent but World Trigger imo is just better.

Inazuma Eleven is also a great sports anime and one of my personal favourites, great character development and hype moments, defo the sports anime i've enjoyed the most watching.

World Trigger is an underrated gem, only because of its slow start many people I've known have dropped it. I seriously enjoy World Trigger because of the characters and world building.
The mangaka felling ill and it becoming a monthly series has affected the popularity of World Trigger.
Apr 5, 2021 2:36 AM

Jan 2017
taylormoo said:
I've found myself liking more dark shounen lately, like Dororo and The Promised Neverland (RIP), but I also really enjoy Saiki K, and that's just because it's batsh*t hilarious.

If you like comedy shonen, try Gintama too.
That one will crack you up.
Apr 5, 2021 2:42 AM
Mar 2021
Uh, I don't really understand the question, but my favourite is Jojos Bizarre Adventure. Recently, I've been watching non-mainstream animes or just less popular ones. Or just ones with less fighting or more psychological, I don't know if these following shows are Shounen or not, but these are the ones I've recently watched:
Konosuba, Love is War, Mob Psycho 100, The Promised Neverland, Dr. Stone, Bakuman.
Apr 6, 2021 5:28 PM

Jun 2019
PirateHasan said:
taylormoo said:
I've found myself liking more dark shounen lately, like Dororo and The Promised Neverland (RIP), but I also really enjoy Saiki K, and that's just because it's batsh*t hilarious.

If you like comedy shonen, try Gintama too.
That one will crack you up.

I'll definitely have to try it! It helps that Saiki K straight-up references it too, haha!
Apr 7, 2021 3:17 AM

Oct 2008
dark and gritty:
Mirai Nikki
Akame ga Kill
Claymore

light-hearted:
Gegege no Kitarou
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Kuroshitsuji

sci-fi:
Kanata no Astra
Tsubasa Cronicle
Apr 7, 2021 6:18 AM

Jan 2017
zieek said:
dark and gritty:
Mirai Nikki
Akame ga Kill
Claymore

light-hearted:
Gegege no Kitarou
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Kuroshitsuji

sci-fi:
Kanata no Astra
Tsubasa Cronicle

Those are some great picks, I haven't read/watched Astra;
Thank you for recommending it, will give it a try.
Apr 7, 2021 6:28 AM

Apr 2020
If it's heavy on action and doesn't have that interesting of a story or great characters it better have good production values. Luckily this seems to be the route most modern battle shounen are taking in general. Say no more to filler, garbage pacing and crap visuals.
Apr 7, 2021 7:10 AM

Feb 2016
zieek said:
light-hearted:
Gegege no Kitarou

Kuroshitsuji

You think they're light-hearted? Did we even watch the same shows?
その目だれの目?
Apr 7, 2021 7:20 AM

May 2018
Gar, or you can call it "adult shounen".
Unlike classical shounens, characters are not whiny/noisy minors but manly men who are so hard-boiled it's almost impossible to self-insert. Although having some classical shounen traits, it's still more mature and thought provoking.
Examples of gar shows: Hokuto no Ken, Grappler Baki, Jojo.

Apr 7, 2021 7:28 AM

Aug 2011
Kaliyahscake said:
My top 3 shounens are hxh, Haikyuu and death note but they’re all essentially the same in why I like them. And that’s the characters so I guess I don’t really care about what the setting/tone is like as long as the characters are unique/well developed

Haikyuu is for sure a shounen. Shounen is just the target audience, not a genre
Apr 7, 2021 7:34 AM

Feb 2020
I personally like shounen genre bt I don't like new gen shounen I feel like they have lost the touch... Just fighting fighting fighting nothing much... Recently I came across chainsaw man it was the only new gen shounen which caught my attention
Apr 7, 2021 7:36 AM

Mar 2018
Talgikiwi said:
Kaliyahscake said:
My top 3 shounens are hxh, Haikyuu and death note but they’re all essentially the same in why I like them. And that’s the characters so I guess I don’t really care about what the setting/tone is like as long as the characters are unique/well developed

Yeah I got that that’s why I modified it:/
Apr 7, 2021 8:03 AM

Apr 2021
When I started to watch anime (when I were 9-12y old), my all time favourites were Naruto, Bleach, Death Note and D.Gray-man.

Nowadays (+25) I'm into Kimetsu no Yaiba, One Piece and Jujutsu Kaisen.
Apr 7, 2021 8:19 AM

Jul 2020
definitely the ones that are a lil darker, like jjk or chainsaw man. beautiful animation like in kny and jjk is an aspect I also really look for in shounen.

aside from that category, I personally think haikyuu is one of the best shounen out there, regardless of its fanbase.

domesitiku violensu

Apr 7, 2021 8:31 AM

Aug 2011
Kaliyahscake said:
Talgikiwi said:

Kaliyahscake said:
Talgikiwi said:

My bad! <3 Sorry about that... I didn't realize
Apr 8, 2021 12:37 AM

Oct 2008
Lucifrost said:

You think they're light-hearted? Did we even watch the same shows?

Kuroshitsuji s1 is mostly happy go lucky filler, the sequels are darker, but nothing I would call over the top.

Gegege is cute and like a catalogue for japanese and even some european demons.

Claymore has scary beasts compared to Gegege. And Akame is much darker than Kuroshitsuji.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 26 minutes ago

8 by Zedlin »»
1 minute ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

27 by Ratris_Decision »»
7 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Yesterday

45 by Shizuna »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

121 by Mishiia »»
10 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Apr 26

74 by TheFlyingSoda »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.