Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you find shippers to be annoying?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 5, 2021 12:21 AM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
I know it's been memed to oblivion at this point but the My Hero shippers are gross. Other than that I could care less about it though.
Nov 5, 2021 12:32 AM

Mar 2021
I mean, it's fine as long as they don't get twisted with it. And don't even start me on proshippers.

Nov 5, 2021 12:46 AM

Dec 2019
ahaha... i'm shipper and do end up being quite passionate about my ships lmao. honestly, most 'shippers' i've interacted with are absolutely sweet and definitely aren't bad people. of course, every fandom has some people that ruin it's reputation. there are shippers that take things too far but i think being a shipper is still totally fine as long as you aren't hurting anyone. that applies for all straight, yaoi and yuri shippers.

"i tried to drown an 8 year old once"
- @marinara-sauce

バンの一味

Nov 5, 2021 12:52 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
I once left this mha facebook page because of all the ura x baku content when it's not even being hinted in the anime.

Then again that was some 2 or so years ago and I haven't touched the anime since season 3 so maybe it did happen
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Nov 5, 2021 1:17 AM

Oct 2013
I have no real problem with them so long as they aren't shoving it down your throat. Obviously anyone who sends death threats to creators for not making their ships canon or some shit can fuck off, and some of the fanart can go a little too far...But that aside, it's relatively harmless.
Nov 5, 2021 1:17 AM

Aug 2014
I used to ship, within reason. Usually between two of the main protagonists of a non romance anime. But shit I think that used to make me a happier person

Nov 5, 2021 2:25 AM

Oct 2009
whatever makes them happy. it doesn't affect me negatively. so why care? ;)
Nov 5, 2021 4:13 AM

Oct 2010
Maou_heika said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Since when are characters brandmarked as "straight"?
To me everyone is pansexual until they say it with their own words in the story.
I need no excuses. I just do shamelessly. 💁🏻‍♀️

Also, I assume every real person I meet to be potentially pansexual until they say otherwise, because heteronormativity is shit.
Sorry to burst your bubble but Japan is heteronormative. Those are fictional characters written by someone who doesn't live in the "progressive" west and are marketed at a certain demographic that is mostly straight. How many shounen, shoujo, seinen or josei have you come across where your pansexual characters actually turned out to be LGBT that weren't indicated as such from the beginning? Statistics speaks. Also even if a character himself claims to be straight fujoshis are still going to insist that he's gay but "in denial", "in the closet" or "being a tsundere". And I still find LGBT a poor excuse to justify toxic relationships, being gay shouldn't give you a free pass to do shit to others and then hide behind the LGBT banner if anyone dares to criticize their actions.

"Sorry to burst your bubble" the fuck, we are talking about fan fiction and headcanon, people are not making a discourse on actual Japanese LGBT rep when they have LGBT ships.

One way or the other statistics don't apply. Fiction is not heteronormative. Fiction exists in its own world, and if authors can imagine any rare occurrence and make it commonplace, they can certainly imagine that the sexuality of the characters does not follow the exact same statistic trends of real life. And it's actually funny because it seems it's the only way some people accept fiction corresponding with reality, when it's about taking its heteronormativity at face value. Quite suspicious if you ask me.

Also, maybe because I have seen plenty more of the contrary I do not share this discourse against shippers as easily. Fans constantly shaming shippers, talking shit about fujoshi, calling them perverts or weirdos, aiming to gatekeep them or tainting entire fandoms. Like I'm really baffled to see some people insist that the Haikyuu fandom, one of the least confrontative I've seen among the big names, is toxic just because shipping is popular there.

And there's certainly toxic people in the shipping fandom, but most of them are of the exact same kind as those rabid anti-shippers, calling people names for shipping "gross" stuff instead of the acceptable, "clean" ones.
Nov 5, 2021 4:16 AM

Dec 2020
i have like 4 ships myself but it's not like some hardcore thing that i'd send death threats over. i just think the characters are cute together. i do find a majority of shippers annoying since they base their entire personality off of shipping and usually fetishize lgbt characters, etc. so my answer is yes, theyre annoying. hard to find any tame ones these days, ever since tik tok got involved in anime
Nov 5, 2021 1:02 PM

Oct 2009
jal90 said:
Maou_heika said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but Japan is heteronormative. Those are fictional characters written by someone who doesn't live in the "progressive" west and are marketed at a certain demographic that is mostly straight. How many shounen, shoujo, seinen or josei have you come across where your pansexual characters actually turned out to be LGBT that weren't indicated as such from the beginning? Statistics speaks. Also even if a character himself claims to be straight fujoshis are still going to insist that he's gay but "in denial", "in the closet" or "being a tsundere". And I still find LGBT a poor excuse to justify toxic relationships, being gay shouldn't give you a free pass to do shit to others and then hide behind the LGBT banner if anyone dares to criticize their actions.

"Sorry to burst your bubble" the fuck, we are talking about fan fiction and headcanon, people are not making a discourse on actual Japanese LGBT rep when they have LGBT ships.

-snip-
Topic between the people your are quoting has moved from ships and headconons to delusional ideological worldviews.

See "Also, I assume every real person I meet to be potentially pansexual until they say otherwise, because heteronormativity is shit."
Nov 5, 2021 1:14 PM
日野森雫

Apr 2019
tbh i don't mind them whatsoever. i usually ignore them. though if they're a hardcore proshipper then thats another story.

✧ forum set by the amazing, yashika-chwan <3 ✧
Nov 5, 2021 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
do non-shippers like, actually exist? like, do some people just not fantasize about certain characters getting together?
Nov 5, 2021 1:25 PM

Aug 2014
Honestly, it always depends on the shipper - I do not mind if people want to ship other characters it does no harm and sometimes it is actually quite cute what couples they come up with... The problem is always when you get those shippers who demand their creation is suddenly more canon than the actual canon couples in the series like trying to suggest Sakura and Naruto are the one true couple and not Naruto with Hinata for example.

Nov 5, 2021 1:39 PM

Oct 2010
Gogetters said:
jal90 said:

-snip-
Topic between the people your are quoting has moved from ships and headconons to delusional ideological worldviews.

See "Also, I assume every real person I meet to be potentially pansexual until they say otherwise, because heteronormativity is shit."

Ah, I misread, I read "in anime". And that's what the post I quoted followed, so that's what I got at.

Anyway you can assume what you want about people you don't know, so I'm not sure what's so delusional about it. Delusional would be not accepting a reality, but you don't know that reality xD
Nov 5, 2021 1:43 PM

Mar 2015
I think it's creepy to ship real people like BTS members or whatever with each other. But if it's fictional characters I couldn't care less as long as they don't bother me with it.
Nov 5, 2021 2:28 PM

Jun 2017
I don't really mind shippers, sometimes they have cool ships that make sense. Other times though, they're very odd, like how people try and make every character into a yaoi or yuri ship. Every series that's nothing but girls, like Azumanga Daioh or Lucky Star, they try and pair up every character. That bugs me.

But i also get bugged when the shippers make the community toxic and argue about it, ruining the fandom. Most stories leave the ships vague so they're open to interpretation.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Nov 5, 2021 2:29 PM

Apr 2009
Depends. For example, the fujoshi who keep triggering MAL users by shipping M/M are absolutely based.

Nov 6, 2021 9:00 AM

Mar 2012
jal90 said:
Maou_heika said:

One way or the other statistics don't apply. Fiction is not heteronormative. Fiction exists in its own world, and if authors can imagine any rare occurrence and make it commonplace, they can certainly imagine that the sexuality of the characters does not follow the exact same statistic trends of real life. And it's actually funny because it seems it's the only way some people accept fiction corresponding with reality, when it's about taking its heteronormativity at face value. Quite suspicious if you ask me.

Also, maybe because I have seen plenty more of the contrary I do not share this discourse against shippers as easily. Fans constantly shaming shippers, talking shit about fujoshi, calling them perverts or weirdos, aiming to gatekeep them or tainting entire fandoms. Like I'm really baffled to see some people insist that the Haikyuu fandom, one of the least confrontative I've seen among the big names, is toxic just because shipping is popular there.

And there's certainly toxic people in the shipping fandom, but most of them are of the exact same kind as those rabid anti-shippers, calling people names for shipping "gross" stuff instead of the acceptable, "clean" ones.
Do you even read? I'm talking about canon content in the series that's written by the original author not headcanon made up by fans. Btw you don't have to worry I'm already well aware that defending pedophila, rape, sexual harassment, abuse, grooming, etc. is the cool thing to do in the anime community since it's all fiction anyways.
Maou_heikaNov 6, 2021 9:06 AM
Nov 6, 2021 9:14 AM

Jan 2021
I have no issues with them. I personally think they harmless. Well, As long as the shippers aren’t shipping anything illegal or shoving it down some one’s throat.
Nov 6, 2021 9:22 AM

Apr 2020
Nope, I'm also a fellow shipper. lol
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Nov 6, 2021 9:25 AM

Aug 2020
i think shipping in general is kinda cringe

so sleepy...

did you need something?

Nov 6, 2021 9:43 AM

Mar 2020
No problems with shipping, I think it's nice to see what is the couple the other people wanna see together, you only need to respect the other's one opinion.

"I wonder if anything will ever change? Will that day ever come?"
- Okazaki, Tomoya
"Nothing can stay unchanged. Fun things… Happy things…
They can’t possibly remain the same."
- Furukawa, Nagisa
Nov 6, 2021 9:54 AM

Oct 2010
Maou_heika said:
jal90 said:

Do you even read? I'm talking about canon content in the series that's written by the original author not headcanon made up by fans. Btw you don't have to worry I'm already well aware that defending pedophila, rape, sexual harassment, abuse, grooming, etc. is the cool thing to do in the anime community since it's all fiction anyways.

What I'm saying is that I've seen more people police shippers that are into "gross" headcanon (whatever that is, because the range people understand for "gross" is diverse, and no, it's not always rape/abuse or the like), than the contrary. People who claim that whatever they invented in their mind is canon and try to impose it to others are annoying no matter which side they pick, I just happen to have seen it way more often directed to cancel shippers.

If you meant canon content then I take my words back, but you mentioning shippers all the time in your previous post seemed to me that you were actually talking headcanon and how people use it.

Your "I'm already aware" thing is a bit uncalled for, unless you want to prove me that you are the confrontative one. If I see somebody have any gross thoughts about fictional characters, I can just look away. I do already for a lot of canon content, why shouldn't I do it for headcanon.
Nov 6, 2021 11:58 AM

Mar 2012
jal90 said:
Maou_heika said:

What I'm saying is that I've seen more people police shippers that are into "gross" headcanon (whatever that is, because the range people understand for "gross" is diverse, and no, it's not always rape/abuse or the like), than the contrary. People who claim that whatever they invented in their mind is canon and try to impose it to others are annoying no matter which side they pick, I just happen to have seen it way more often directed to cancel shippers.

If you meant canon content then I take my words back, but you mentioning shippers all the time in your previous post seemed to me that you were actually talking headcanon and how people use it.

Your "I'm already aware" thing is a bit uncalled for, unless you want to prove me that you are the confrontative one. If I see somebody have any gross thoughts about fictional characters, I can just look away. I do already for a lot of canon content, why shouldn't I do it for headcanon.
My initial comment did talk about shippers since that's what the thread asked for. My second comment is in reply to assuming characters to be (canonically) straight. To put in very simple terms, if you are going watch a romance shoujo you would expect the main couple and majority of the characters to be straight, how dare you assume the sexuality of those characters is kinda weird in the context, if they are lesbian or gay the series will most likely have a BL or GL tag to indicate it, there are exceptions but that's rare which is why I used the word statics there. Similarly, no one in their right minds will pick up a BL or GL and expect to see the main couple to be hetero (that would be the opposite of heteronormativity I guess).

I find the topics I've mentioned above to be uncomfortable so I tend to keep away from those things. I mentioned because you mentioned "gross" and "shaming" and ever since Mushoku Tensei and Redo of Healer there seems to be an increasing trend in fans getting triggered over anyone to dislikes it by saying "stop using morals on fictional characters they don't have any right, stop shaming people". Any sort of discussion about a questionable characters easily devolves to this.
Nov 6, 2021 12:15 PM

Sep 2012
Shippers are extremely annoying to me. If you're putting two characters together that the author had no intention of putting together, then please, go make your own characters or something instead of trampling over someone else's work.

It's even worse when people ship two characters who have absolutely no business being shipped I.E. they hate each other or they don't swing that way. It's so beyond shameless.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Nov 6, 2021 2:56 PM

Nov 2018
I don't have any problem with that as long as someone doesn't stuff it down my throat.

sos, there's a goddess
in disquise
Nov 6, 2021 3:05 PM

Mar 2020
I don't really get into shipping culture, but I have certainly shipped characters in the past, and have kind of indirectly had an argument about it when a disagreement about routes in FSN turned into being about whether RinxShirou is better than SaberxShirou. Whether or not a shipper is annoying all depends on the context if its a conversation about shipping then you're the asshole for complaining about it but if its not then they are for bringing it up.
Also I feel people get really defensive when it gets to gay ships for no reason whatsoever, non of its real, who cares if a fan ships two guys or two girls as opposed to a straight pairing?
@Maou_heika, @jal90 stop wasting your time, its an internet argument, you're not going to convince each other of anything. Besides you''re not talking about anything of any sort of importance anyway
EpiccgaymerNov 6, 2021 3:12 PM

Nov 7, 2021 4:24 AM
Jul 2018
I shipped myself. But only fictional (anime) characters.
Shipping becomes a problem when it turns into a mindset throwing it in to real people.
I've experienced it on my own skin and can tell you it's highly uncomfortable and have put me into low mental state.
See the case with Lauren and Camila of Fifth Harmony. One of the girls call out the fans for being disrespectful in the shipping matter, assuming there is something more than a friendship between the two. It's invading into personal space and feelings.
Nov 7, 2021 5:40 AM

Sep 2015
I was a shipper back in the early days. I back down nowadays though. There will always be someone out there having some kind of issue with a ship I like. It really turned me off from actively participating. It didn't used to be like this. People minded their business. Now? Its a gigantic shitshow I refuse to find myself in.

edit: also, Don't immediately assume a character's sexuality. Your headcanon doesn't have to be someone elses headcanon. Don't force yours on someone else and vice versa. Please. ffs.

edit edit: I absolutely HATE it when people ship irl people. Celebrities/public people 9/10 times really don't like it. Either keep it to yourself, or just don't.
"This signature is under construction." ~Fabuubz
Nov 7, 2021 6:39 AM

Oct 2016
Why would I be annoyed of shippers? We need them to deliver electronics goods to keep the economy going.
Nov 8, 2021 8:57 AM
Jul 2018
Maou_heika said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Since when are characters brandmarked as "straight"?
To me everyone is pansexual until they say it with their own words in the story.
I need no excuses. I just do shamelessly. 💁🏻‍♀️

Also, I assume every real person I meet to be potentially pansexual until they say otherwise, because heteronormativity is shit.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but people are people, no matter where you live. Pure and 100 % monosexuality is in reality / by science quite rare to begin with, whether it's hetero- or homosexuality. Just because a society is heteronormative that doesn't change people's nature and how they feel or who they fall in love with.

Also artists and young artists are often much more progressive than the rest of the population or older people. Since a lot of mangaka are relatively young artists, you could say that they include these often very clear hints purposely.
I mean, everyone who has been in love and in a relationship at least once, or has enough life experience in general, cant ignore a lot of hints they give.

And even if there aren't hints and people just make up headcanons: a lot of people, who complain about it, don't complain about heterosexual headcanons that often much less chemistry.
All of these is in a lot of cases just homophobic bullshit.
Nov 8, 2021 3:36 PM
Jun 2019
It honestly depends. I personally like shipping, but I keep it to myself, and I think shippers who don't go overboard are fine. But once you get into shipping wars and the people obsessed with ships, that's when shippers get on my nerves.
Nov 8, 2021 4:15 PM

Jul 2017
I’m personally not a shipper, but I don’t mind shippers at all. There are anime couples who I like more than others, but I never go obsessing about it.
Nov 9, 2021 5:01 PM

Oct 2010
Maou_heika said:
jal90 said:

My initial comment did talk about shippers since that's what the thread asked for. My second comment is in reply to assuming characters to be (canonically) straight. To put in very simple terms, if you are going watch a romance shoujo you would expect the main couple and majority of the characters to be straight, how dare you assume the sexuality of those characters is kinda weird in the context, if they are lesbian or gay the series will most likely have a BL or GL tag to indicate it, there are exceptions but that's rare which is why I used the word statics there. Similarly, no one in their right minds will pick up a BL or GL and expect to see the main couple to be hetero (that would be the opposite of heteronormativity I guess).

I find the topics I've mentioned above to be uncomfortable so I tend to keep away from those things. I mentioned because you mentioned "gross" and "shaming" and ever since Mushoku Tensei and Redo of Healer there seems to be an increasing trend in fans getting triggered over anyone to dislikes it by saying "stop using morals on fictional characters they don't have any right, stop shaming people". Any sort of discussion about a questionable characters easily devolves to this.

Sorry I took a while to answer. Well, first off, while I still disagree with you on the matter, I understand the position; yes, in a romance shoujo anime one would expect the characters to be straight. But that doesn't mean that one can't entertain ideas, particularly if the show doesn't state otherwise. Something one could think for instance is that these characters are bi. Nothing in the canon states the contrary and it still makes sense. But of course, that is simply forming an idea on elements of the canon that are not fully confirmed, it doesn't mean it's true. What I think is wrong anyway is assuming that straight is the default option when it's not singled out as such.

As for the controversial/gross topics you mentioned, well, I also find them very uncomfortable. Not judging if somebody enjoys that kind of stuff, it's just not for me and therefore I see no reason to interact with this content. But then it's true that there's those who get too defensive and they are super-annoying about it. But they are often just childish and generically toxic and I can ignore childish complaints. The other option is that they simply want to trigger people and/or shame them for being offended or disgusted by these shows. And I don't even consider those guys fans anyway. They are agitators.
jal90Nov 9, 2021 5:11 PM
Nov 11, 2021 1:50 AM

Nov 2019
I only find logic in shipping characters in AMVs since it kinda makes a bit of sense. Apart from that many anime series have compatible MCs because they want to monopolize on those 'shippers'
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 7 hours ago

13 by monsta666 »»
20 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

26 by JaniSIr »»
23 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

73 by 707supremacist »»
34 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

19 by Deyuko »»
45 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

65 by Animeistaken »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.