Forums
New
Mar 14, 2021 3:33 AM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
[size=0] [Script] List Tools — generate CSS and update Tags or Notes[/size]
Latest update is v10.2 (July 2023)
[Install Userscript]ChangelogPast updatesPlanned updates

v11.0 Beta Test Available - see last post for info.

What can it do?

This script fetches anime information which it uses to generate CSS, update your tags, and update your notes. This enables some powerful possibilities for list designs for users and designers alike.

Here some highlights of the information you have access to that isn't usually available on lists:
  • Synopsis
  • English or native titles (Japanese/Korean/etc)
  • High quality cover images
  • MAL score and ranking
  • Duration
  • Authors
  • And half a dozen more. See "Creating your own templates" for the full list.

This allows you to do many things, such as:
  • Generate your own cover image CSS.
  • Have an easier time deciding your next watch by adding synopses, MAL ratings, or duration to each of your anime.
  • Add alternate titles right next to the defaults, or replace all your list titles with the English versions.
  • And more.

Does anyone actually use this?

Endless Summer by Cateinya

Cateinya uses this tool to add synopses and genres on hover to the popular Endless Summer layout. If you want to generate CSS for use with Endless Summer, just import this template using the "Import Template" button.
{"template":"/* [TITLE] *[DEL]/ #tags-[ID]:before {content: \"[TITLE]\";}  #tags-[ID]:after {content:\"[GENRES]\";} #tags-[ID] .tags-[ID]:after {content: \"[DESC]\";}","matchtemplate":"#tags-[ID]:"}

Uji_Gintoki_Bowl

Gintoki uses the tool along with many other CSS tweaks to make a list design with just about all the information you could want right on their list page. The tool provides the Synposes and MAL scores in this equation.

Ruse125

Ruse has a similar use, adding an "Info" button which displays the MAL score, rank, popularity, themes, duration, and synposis. It takes a while to even list them out, you won't be needing to change page on this list!

While most of these are personal use lists, you can achieve much the same with your own list. Apologies if I didn't mention you here, it's hard to track down old posts!

How do I use it?

Installation

This tool can be installed either of two ways: a userscript or a bookmarklet. The userscript requires the use of a browser extension but is a more convenient option, where-as the bookmarklet requires no extensions but is more clunky.

Usage

Once you've opened the program, you will see there are several different sections and options. The CSS input and output fields are to the right, but for many people you will be starting with the sidebar on the left. This sidebar contains all the options. You will see they are split into the different categories they relate to, those being: CSS generation, Tag updates, and Note updates. There are also some General Options that apply to all categories. You can use as many or as few of these options as you want, it's your choice.

Once you have your settings how you want them, you can run the tool by clicking "Start" in the top left. This process can take a lot of time, depending on how many anime you have and what you set the delay at. At any time, you can click "Stop" without losing what is already generated/updated. You can also "Minimise" the program to keep navigating your list without losing progress.

Tag and Note updates will happen as the tool processes, while CSS will be created in the "Output" text field on the right of the tool. On repeat uses, you can copy-paste your previously generated CSS into the large "Input" text box. The tool will automatically save and autofill your last-generated CSS to make this quicker. This will save a lot of time on future uses and prevents re-generating everything.

Important notes on CSS generation - please read!
  • This tool does not auto-update any of your CSS. After adding new entries to your list, or once information becomes old, you will have to re-run the tool manually and overwrite your previous CSS.
  • When generating CSS, keep in mind it can get very long very fast. This can mean hitting the CSS limit MAL imposes, which is approximately 65,535 characters. If you hit this limit, anything beyond will get deleted! To avoid these issues and circumvent the character limit, you can host the CSS on another website. I recommend reading Shishio's guide on hosting and importing CSS from Dropbox: [Guide]. If you do decide to paste this code into your Custom CSS box, make sure to place the code at the bottom so that if anything does get deleted, it's only the generated code and not anything important.

For help understanding any of the settings, see the spoiler below.

And that's the main tour done! Have fun trying it out.

Video Overview and Beginner's Guide

Fullscreen it! This isn't as hard as it seems. Shishio's video will show you the basics on starting and using the app, and then go through how to use it to generate synopses for your list and import it, which is a basic and popular function of the app. From there, you should be ready and can definitely try other features with less trouble!
https://youtu.be/sGhXbCidSWs

Pre-made Templates & CSS

Here's some common templates which you can use to generate CSS for your list. Templates are made of 3 parts:
• The CSS template for use with the tool.
• The Match Template for use when continuing use of this template.
• Some CSS to place in your theme's Custom CSS which will provide styling to all the generated CSS. This CSS should generally be placed at the bottom, below your current code.

Although, most of these have been packaged into one easy-to-install template. Just copy-paste the template into the "Import Template" dialog inside of the tool!

Please keep in mind that not all templates will work with all premade layouts. There can often be conflicting code that will make it at least look slightly different, or at worst completely break. You can ask for help, but I encourage you to try modifying the code yourself to see if you can fix it first. The worst that can happen is you have to re-install the template!

Creating your own templates

Templates can be written as regular CSS. Each anime or manga will generate a line using this CSS as a template, replacing certain pieces with the relevant info. Here's a full list of replacements and what they do:

Here's an example template for cover images and what it will look like after generation. Before:
/* [TITLE] *[DEL]/ .data.image a[href^="/[TYPE]/[ID]/"]::before { background-image: url([IMGURL]); }
Replaced:
/* Amagi Brilliant Park */ .data.image a[href^="/anime/22147/"]::before { background-image: url(https://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/[TYPE]/5/85435.jpg); }

FAQ

Can this automatically update my CSS or upload to Dropbox/X website?

Can I sort my list by MAL score/popularity/etc?

Can this tool get Romaji titles?

Credits & Links

Credits
NameContributions
BurntJelloOriginal code.
CateinyaModern list support and some mangalist support.
Cry5talzProvided a fix for some MAL changes.
Valerio_LyndonAll new features listed on this page.

This script is a fork of BurntJello's MyAnimeList-Tools. Despite the visual differences and new features, much of the core code is still based on their work.

Links
- Code on GitHub
-- I am open to code contributions if you so desire.
- BurntJello's original webpage
-- Here you can find BurntJello's original code, without my fixes and changes applied.
Valerio_LyndonAug 21, 2023 3:05 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 14, 2021 5:03 AM

Feb 2010
My Templates

Template 1 (Synopsis hover)

You use this template to generate a synopsis CSS for your list in the ap (see first post for video). When you point to anime, it will show the synopsis on the left in a box (code 1), or through a character (code 2).
.list-table .list-table-data:hover .data.title .link[href^="/anime/[ID]/"]::before { content:"[DESC]"; }

After generating template 1's CSS, upload it to Dropbox. share the link, and convert the link into an import and paste it to the top of your CSS (see video in the opening post for help).

Dropbox link example

After converting into an import

With template 1, you add this to the bottom

Template 1 Code 1
.list-table .list-table-data:hover .data.title .link:before{
position: fixed;
background-color: rgba(0,0,0,.85);
width: 200px;
height: 800px;
color: white !important;
left: 5%;
bottom: 10px;
border: white 1px solid;
padding: 10px;
border-radius: 10px;
font-family: arial !important;
transition-timing-function: ease-in;
  opacity:1 !important;
}

It makes this with your synopsis on each anime, you can edit the colors and dimensions from there!

With template 1, you can also add this to the bottom instead of code 1 for a character reading your synopsis :D

Template 1 Code 2

.list-table .list-table-data:hover .data.title .link:before{
	background-position: top left;
	background-size: contain;
	background-repeat: no-repeat;
  color: black;
	text-shadow: none !important;
  right: 0.5%;
	width: 19%;
  bottom: 62%;
	font-size: 12px;
	border: black 2px solid;
	border-radius: 30px;
	padding: 1%;
	background-color: white;
}

.list-table .list-table-data:hover .data.title .link:after{
position: fixed !important;
	content: "";
		font-size: 12px !important;
	display: block !important;
		background-color: red;
		background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/7Zb5rMs.png?1);
	background-position: top left;
	text-shadow: none !important;
  right: -1%;
	height: 3%;
	width: 18%;
  bottom: 59.2%;
	font-size: 0;
	background-color: transparent;
	color: transparent;
	background-size: contain;
				}

.list-unit .list-status-title .text{
	background-image: url(https://image.myanimelist.net/ui/5LYzTBVoS196gvYvw3zjwMT5jBFHxK8ibEJQ-h8sBH8);
	background-position: right bottom;
	background-size: 92%;
	width: 22% !important; 
height: 100% !important;
right: 0%;
bottom: 0%;
	content: "";
	}

This page should be linked in the OP its very useful for this
https://burntjello.webs.com/m/MyAnimeListTools/

Shishio-kunJul 16, 2021 10:00 AM
Mar 14, 2021 5:14 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Shishio-kun said:
This page should be linked in the OP its very useful for this
https://burntjello.webs.com/m/MyAnimeListTools/

I will link it in the credits, but the information is rather barebones and much of it is already/soon-to-be out of date. For instance, it mentions it's classic-only, has limited manga support, etc, which is incorrect. I plan to list all the relevant information on this page.

Shishio-kun said:
I think we should make some "template codes" people can put into the upper right part. I'm working on one now. I got an alert from MAL about making too many requests, so I will test it out in full later.

I agree, and already plan to add common templates. That's what my "Common CSS template codes" section is for. Not sure which templates exactly yet but I want to add most of the main ones people will want, just trying to get this forum post into a state that isn't confusing to look at. I quite like the look of that speech bubble one! And feel free to edit your post here with your own modifications since it's right below the main post. :)
Valerio_LyndonMar 14, 2021 9:29 PM
Mar 15, 2021 1:33 AM

Feb 2010
Valerio_Lyndon said:
I quite like the look of that speech bubble one! And feel free to edit your post here with your own modifications since it's right below the main post. :)

Thanks! 😀

Unfortunately border image codes weren't working in Chrome on the list (?!) so I had to use another way to add the speech bubble bottom part. I really need to upgrade my PC this week, so I'll return to this project later

I'd really like a smoother and easier to customize synopsis hover too, I made that one really fast to show how its done. And I don't know how to prevent the weird text-stacking transition.

btw I would like to do a video tutorial of this, because this is very cool and useful but its so intimidating. And it should probably show how to add to CSS to Dropbox too because there's almost no way all these synopsis will fit in a medium to large list CSS. Plus, I would think it would load slowly.
Shishio-kunMar 15, 2021 8:38 AM
Apr 2, 2021 4:18 AM

Feb 2010
@Valerio_Lyndon Are you done editing the OP? If so I'll try to make a video of me using it so guide ppl D:
Apr 3, 2021 3:48 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Shishio-kun said:
@Valerio_Lyndon Are you done editing the OP? If so I'll try to make a video of me using it so guide ppl D:

The core of the text is done. There's some obvious flaws such as incomplete examples and the unfinished Dropbox blog post I have linked, I've just had very little time the last couple of weeks to improve further upon it (6-day work weeks lol). I'm going to keep working on making this post easier to understand, but the basics are all there if you wanted to get started! Any changes I make beyond this point shouldn't change much about any video you make.

I did wonder though, before you made the tutorial. Did you think an updated UI might help make things easier or should I not bother? I was considering changing the entire UI to try and make things more user friendly and fix things like having to hover your mouse over each checkmark to see what it actually is (quite annoying IMO). Here's a quick mockup I made a couple of weeks ago for something it could look like. If you think this is a good idea, I can push this out pretty quick before you get your video B-roll, but if you think it's pointless I might just save myself the time and let you get on with it.
[Mockup]
Apr 3, 2021 3:59 PM

Feb 2010
Valerio_Lyndon said:
Shishio-kun said:

The core of the text is done. There's some obvious flaws such as incomplete examples and the unfinished Dropbox blog post I have linked, I've just had very little time the last couple of weeks to improve further upon it (6-day work weeks lol). I'm going to keep working on making this post easier to understand, but the basics are all there if you wanted to get started! Any changes I make beyond this point shouldn't change much about any video you make.

I did wonder though, before you made the tutorial. Did you think an updated UI might help make things easier or should I not bother? I was considering changing the entire UI to try and make things more user friendly and fix things like having to hover your mouse over each checkmark to see what it actually is (quite annoying IMO). Here's a quick mockup I made a couple of weeks ago for something it could look like. If you think this is a good idea, I can push this out pretty quick before you get your video B-roll, but if you think it's pointless I might just save myself the time and let you get on with it.
[Mockup]

I think it is worth if it doesn't take more than say, an hour. Because I think there's a good chance a lot of people will use it since having synopsis is REALLY good and finally a step forward. Also if its more user-friendly this might increase the chances people can figure it out on their own and not be intimidating. This is really intimidating lol.

It's not necessary though, since I could figure out enough to do the important stuff. We really need a clear cut example video guide for the synopsis too just so someone can get right to that- I will definitely make one before summer.

You need Dropbox hosting links? I recently remade the hosting topic since I made a cover-hosting topic and I thought I'd update to a new one
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1911384

The preview pic hosting on Dropbox topic, which will come in handy if Malscraper goes down again
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1905344
Apr 3, 2021 8:41 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
@Shishio-kun Updated it with a very simple UI update so it should be ready to go. Let me know if there's any issues that need ironing out with the tool itself.

Shishio-kun said:
You need Dropbox hosting links? I recently remade the hosting topic since I made a cover-hosting topic and I thought I'd update to a new one
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1911384

Ah, this is great. Last time I checked one of your Dropbox topics the images were using their last UI, but this one is perfect. That saves me some time.
Valerio_LyndonApr 3, 2021 9:16 PM
Jul 9, 2021 12:03 AM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Just pushed a somewhat bigger update than usual with v4.0. Now supports one-line templates that should be easy to install (paste them into the Import Template dialog inside the tool) and the tool now remembers settings between uses, which should save a lot of time!

If anyone wants to let me know if it works for them, I'd appreciate it. Developing things like this in a vacuum makes it hard to know if it even works outside your PC.
Jul 9, 2021 8:13 AM

Feb 2010
@Valerio_Lyndon OK, I will mass share this next week so it can get some more traction. I would like to record myself using it so ppl can watch me just do the basic synopsis and Dropbox import and get started from there. I think that part is very intimidating but if they see me do it in a few minutes on a test layout they can see its not too hard.

And at that point we'll have mass shared all the new threads, I think :D

Under
What can it do?
you may want to put some screenshot example links by the different features?
Jul 10, 2021 2:54 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Shishio-kun said:
@Valerio_Lyndon OK, I will mass share this next week so it can get some more traction. I would like to record myself using it so ppl can watch me just do the basic synopsis and Dropbox import and get started from there. I think that part is very intimidating but if they see me do it in a few minutes on a test layout they can see its not too hard.

And at that point we'll have mass shared all the new threads, I think :D

Under
What can it do?
you may want to put some screenshot example links by the different features?

Alright, cool! :)

I agree, the post definitely needs more imagery. I don't think people read unless there are images to catch the eye to be honest. I've added one I whipped up in a few minutes but I'll see about improving the readability even more.
Jul 10, 2021 4:05 PM

May 2010
I had used the old version of this fine, but now my pc can no longer handle the size of my list, tried it with chrome and firefox and both freeze or auto refresh the page before I can copy all the css, which is no big deal since I use another script I made that just gives me all anime and manga synopsis
Jul 10, 2021 4:25 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
ShaggyZE said:
I had used the old version of this fine, but now my pc can no longer handle the size of my list, tried it with chrome and firefox and both freeze or auto refresh the page before I can copy all the css, which is no big deal since I use another script I made that just gives me all anime and manga synopsis

That's unfortunate. If you've got the time, could you tell me what happens when you try? Does the page give some form of "not responding" or "this page is slowing down your browser" message when you try and use it, and does it manage to generate the CSS before auto refreshing or does it only crash out/auto-refresh when you try and copy all the CSS after it's generated?

If the other script you're using is public then I'd love to take a look to see how it does thing differently so I can potentially improve this one.
Valerio_LyndonJul 10, 2021 4:29 PM
Jul 10, 2021 5:04 PM

May 2010
Valerio_Lyndon said:
ShaggyZE said:

That's unfortunate. If you've got the time, could you tell me what happens when you try? Does the page give some form of "not responding" or "this page is slowing down your browser" message when you try and use it, and does it manage to generate the CSS before auto refreshing or does it only crash out/auto-refresh when you try and copy all the CSS after it's generated?

If the other script you're using is public then I'd love to take a look to see how it does thing differently so I can potentially improve this one.
no message, it starts to populate and I get the progress bar but then I leave or watch some anime and when I go back to the browser it's just black and it will autorefresh the page due to low memory so I don't get a chance to copy the code. (also i have not yet tried on other pc's I have that have lower memory but less apps running)

the script I made is a webscraper and uses AutoitV3 so it's just for PC
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1938559
ShaggyZEJun 9, 2022 6:56 AM
Jul 10, 2021 5:49 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
ShaggyZE said:
no message, it starts to populate and I get the progress bar but then I leave or watch some anime and when I go back to the browser it's just black and it will autorefresh the page due to low memory so I don't get a chance to copy the code. (also i have not yet tried on other pc's I have that have lower memory but less apps running)

http://uotiara.com/files/MAL%20Tag%20Mini%20Review.au3
http://uotiara.com/files/MAL%20Tag%20Mini%20Review.exe
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ta5rab8nycn6950/maltags.css

also yesterday I started working on another one that uses PHP to try and create a smaller synopsis CSS using https://myanimelist.net/animelist/USERNAME/load.json?status=7&offset=0 and a json I created that has all the synopsis http://uotiara.com/files/Anime_Synopsis.json
but I'm currently having trouble with the arrays and speed of it so I may end up using MySQL or Python to speed things up if I do end up continuing it, might even post it to Github to try and get some help, I could just add load.json to the AutoIt script, but this would be more useful for layout designers.
http://uotiara.com/Synopsis/Synopsis.php?Username=ShaggyZE&Template=CSSCodeHere

Thank you, this is very helpful! Sounds like the amount of text being input into the HTML is making your browser give up. I imagine it's quite a lot when generating 2000 anime synopses. I'll have to do some testing with this, probably on a low-powered PC as well. I have some ideas and am somewhat optimistic about being able to fix it. It'll be easiest if I can reproduce the issue, but if not I can try some changes anyway to see how they go.
Valerio_LyndonJul 10, 2021 5:55 PM
Jul 10, 2021 6:12 PM

May 2010
Valerio_Lyndon said:
ShaggyZE said:

http://uotiara.com/files/MAL%20Tag%20Mini%20Review.au3
http://uotiara.com/files/MAL%20Tag%20Mini%20Review.exe
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ta5rab8nycn6950/maltags.css

also yesterday I started working on another one that uses PHP to try and create a smaller synopsis CSS using https://myanimelist.net/animelist/USERNAME/load.json?status=7&offset=0 and a json I created that has all the synopsis http://uotiara.com/files/Anime_Synopsis.json
but I'm currently having trouble with the arrays and speed of it so I may end up using MySQL or Python to speed things up if I do end up continuing it, might even post it to Github to try and get some help, I could just add load.json to the AutoIt script, but this would be more useful for layout designers.
http://uotiara.com/Synopsis/Synopsis.php?Username=ShaggyZE&Template=CSSCodeHere

Thank you, this is very helpful! Sounds like the amount of text being input into the HTML is making your browser give up. I imagine it's quite a lot when generating 2000 anime synopses. I'll have to do some testing with this, probably on a low-powered PC as well. I have some ideas and am somewhat optimistic about being able to fix it. It'll be easiest if I can reproduce the issue, but if not I can try some changes anyway to see how they go.
yea, that's exactly what the issue is, and I'm surprised no one has made a pc app or scraper like covers to avoid issues like this, which is I guess what I'll work on because it can be done much faster using PC or PHP without having to load your whole list anyway.
Jul 11, 2021 8:47 AM

Dec 2019
Interesting, I believe greasyfork already has a tool that does something like that.

You should publish yours there too.
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Jul 11, 2021 8:57 AM

May 2010
hacker09 said:
Interesting, I believe greasyfork already has a tool that does something like that.

You should publish yours there too.
I assume you're talking to Valerio_Lyndon, BurntJello's script has been around since 2015, not sure which greasyfork script you're talking about, but I have wanted to discuss a few things with you regarding https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1938559#msg63794145 since as far I know your one of the best active script developers for MAL.

I'm guessing https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7125-myanimelist-mal-tags-updater, but it doesn't do covers or synopsis, but I still use it every day as it's a better tag updater IMO since you don't have to scroll through your whole list.
ShaggyZEJul 11, 2021 9:07 AM
Jul 11, 2021 9:14 AM

Dec 2019
@ShaggyZE

I'm talking about this script
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7125-myanimelist-mal-tags-updater

haha, thanks for the compliment.

Not sure what it covers, I've used that just one time, saw the options and erased the script.

I personally would just care about being able to know when an anime is chinese or korean, and what's the anime duration, if possible I also would like to know how many entries the total franchise has, but there's no such a thing that adds these 3 things I want to the tags..

But whatever, I've already made a script that shows what's the anime duration, and that shows how many entries the total franchise has, and I'm also working on a script to show that directly on the anime list, for every single anime franchise on the user anime list.

*I've seen your windows script too, seems to be interesting too

Jul 11, 2021 9:22 AM

May 2010
hacker09 said:
@ShaggyZE

I'm talking about this script
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7125-myanimelist-mal-tags-updater

haha, thanks for the compliment.

Not sure what it covers, I've used that just one time, saw the options and erased the script.

I personally would just care about being able to know when an anime is chinese or korean, and what's the anime duration, if possible I also would like to know how many entries the total franchise has, but there's no such a thing that adds these 3 things I want to the tags..

But whatever, I've already made a script that shows what's the anime duration, and that shows how many entries the total franchise has, and I'm also working on a script to show that directly on the anime list, for every single anime franchise on the user anime list.

*I've seen your windows script too, seems to be interesting too

yea, that's the same script I posted, and I use your franchise and duration scripts, and it would be possible to add them to tags with a Windows App or PHP IF using MAL's API, chinese or korean might be a hard thing to lookup, might even be possible with this BurntJello/Valerio_Lyndon script but would require a good deal of programming.
ShaggyZEJul 11, 2021 9:34 AM
Jul 11, 2021 9:38 AM

Dec 2019
that's the same script I posted yeah, but I just saw that after finding the link and reading that you posted the link on the end of your message hahahah

Great! I'm glad they are helping you.

it would be possible to add them to tags with a Windows App or PHP IF using MAL's API yeah, I think it's possible. But I've already made and I'm already using them as scripts, so I will let them keep being scripts hahaha.

The MAL API is too complex and requires a lot of permissions from the author and from the user, it also takes a lot of codes of line just to make it work, so another script author and I chose to give up on using the MAL API hahaha.
The other script author said that if he was able to find a script that uses the MAL API maybe he would copy and useit making a few modifications to meet his script needs, so another dev mentioned me to know if I really did use the MAL API on one of my scripts, but I didn't so that other dev just gave up on using the MAL API too.

He said that the script he made is already working, so taking a lot of time to rewrite it from 0 just takes too much time and efforts and I agree ahaha.

Yeah, I think like he does... I already have plans to "rewrite" my endless mal and rewatched list generator scripts, I just don't have time for that now haha.

Jul 11, 2021 9:53 AM

May 2010
hacker09 said:
that's the same script I posted yeah, but I just saw that after finding the link and reading that you posted the link on the end of your message hahahah

Great! I'm glad they are helping you.

it would be possible to add them to tags with a Windows App or PHP IF using MAL's API yeah, I think it's possible. But I've already made and I'm already using them as scripts, so I will let them keep being scripts hahaha.

The MAL API is too complex and requires a lot of permissions from the author and from the user, it also takes a lot of codes of line just to make it work, so another script author and I chose to give up on using the MAL API hahaha.
The other script author said that if he was able to find a script that uses the MAL API maybe he would copy and useit making a few modifications to meet his script needs, so another dev mentioned me to know if I really did use the MAL API on one of my scripts, but I didn't so that other dev just gave up on using the MAL API too.

He said that the script he made is already working, so taking a lot of time to rewrite it from 0 just takes too much time and efforts and I agree ahaha.

Yeah, I think like he does... I already have plans to "rewrite" my endless mal and rewatched list generator scripts, I just don't have time for that now haha.
yea, I agree, better to keep it as a script, the new MAL API is better than the old API, but it's still just too much work IMO without great results as it still has issues.
Jul 15, 2021 5:11 PM

Feb 2010
I was recording how to use this but I have an error. I can't figure out how to make the text the same opacity for all anime. It seems to have something to do with the little TVs, maybe

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/MyTestLayout

CSS:

@\import "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/q4gvws9o5bcnlgh/CSS%20syn.css";

.list-table .list-table-data:hover .data.title a:before{
background-color: rgba(0,0,0,.85);
width: 200px;
height: 800px;
color: white !important;
left: 25%;
bottom: 10px;
border: white 1px solid;
padding: 10px;
border-radius: 10px;
transition-timing-function: ease-in;
opacity:1 !important;
}

.data.title a *{
opacity: 1 !important;
}

.icon-watch:hover, .icon-watch-pv:hover{
opacity: 1 !important;
}

Problem on the left
Jul 15, 2021 8:46 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Shishio-kun said:
I was recording how to use this but I have an error. I can't figure out how to make the text the same opacity for all anime. It seems to have something to do with the little TVs, maybe

Ah darn, good catch. The selector isn't specific enough so it's applying to not only the title but also the TV icons as well. Using a more specific selector should fix it. Here's the same code as you have now but using an updated selector. Instead of ".title a" it uses ".title .link".

Updated generated/imported CSS: https://pastebin.com/raw/wcEmtnyY
Jul 16, 2021 11:49 AM

Feb 2010
Valerio_Lyndon said:
Shishio-kun said:

Ah darn, good catch. The selector isn't specific enough so it's applying to not only the title but also the TV icons as well. Using a more specific selector should fix it. Here's the same code as you have now but using an updated selector. Instead of ".title a" it uses ".title .link".

Updated generated/imported CSS: https://pastebin.com/raw/wcEmtnyY

Thank you! :D

Added a video guide to the OP to show how it's done!
Jul 17, 2021 5:53 PM

Aug 2019
regards @Shishio-kun
I'm going to test the synopsis tool on Blink.
but I have a question regarding the new anime on my list after doing the synopsis. And it is the following: the new animes will have their synopsis? or do I have to redo the process?

I take the opportunity to ask the following: is it possible to change anime covers?
is that I see some blurred, because here in BAD it does not upload a covers in HD but of low quality.
for example:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/42976/Biohazard__Infinite_Darkness
The cover that was uploaded is small and causes it to be blurred. There is a way to change it since I see that there is a way. thanks for your help
Jul 18, 2021 8:14 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
EnderVsqz626 said:
regards @Shishio-kun
but I have a question regarding the new anime on my list after doing the synopsis. And it is the following: the new animes will have their synopsis? or do I have to redo the process?

I take the opportunity to ask the following: is it possible to change anime covers?
is that I see some blurred, because here in BAD it does not upload a covers in HD but of low quality.
for example:
The cover that was uploaded is small and causes it to be blurred. There is a way to change it since I see that there is a way. thanks for your help

You'll have to rerun the code to add new entries. Until I (or someone else) creates a version that auto-runs on each list visit this is how it will work.

To change covers, you can use code like this. For each anime image you want to change, you can copy-paste it and then change the "ID" and "IMAGE" texts. The ID can be found when visiting anime pages. It's the number after /anime/. For instance the URL for https://myanimelist.net/anime/42976/Biohazard__Infinite_Darkness would be 42976.
.data.image a[href^="/anime/ID/"] {
	background-image: url(IMAGE);
}

Here's an example of it filled out:
/* Biohazard Infinite Darkness */
.data.image a[href^="/anime/42976/"] {
	background-image: url(https://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/1467/116489l.webp);
}
Jul 18, 2021 9:07 PM

Aug 2019
Valerio_Lyndon said:
EnderVsqz626 said:
regards @Shishio-kun

for example:

You'll have to rerun the code to add new entries. Until I (or someone else) creates a version that auto-runs on each list visit this is how it will work.

To change covers, you can use code like this. For each anime image you want to change, you can copy-paste it and then change the "ID" and "IMAGE" texts. The ID can be found when visiting anime pages. It's the number after /anime/. For instance the URL for https://myanimelist.net/anime/42976/Biohazard__Infinite_Darkness would be 42976.
}

background-image: url(https://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/1467/116489l.webp);
}

Thanks it worked now I wonder is there any possibility of creating a Dropbox with a CSS to put the HD covers?

is that as in the CSS there is a character limit, I don't think you can change all the ones I need. That's possible?

I know that if possible I should have an editable notebook with all the covers that I am going to upload to Dropbox. Thanks to this tutorial I know that I have been able to create css to upload to Dropbox and put it in the css of the list.

I know that what I am asking is a bit complex and complicated, but I would like to know if that can be done in order to keep my anime list in optimal condition (since there are always blurred covers because the official cover of that certain anime has not yet arrived) but I do not see what is the laziness of the MAL staff to edit the cover to make it smaller (since the cover that looks bad is because they upload a very long and small cover). Thanks again Valerio
EnderVsqz626Jul 18, 2021 11:51 PM
Jul 27, 2021 10:17 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
EnderVsqz626 said:
Thanks it worked now I wonder is there any possibility of creating a Dropbox with a CSS to put the HD covers?

is that as in the CSS there is a character limit, I don't think you can change all the ones I need. That's possible?

I know that if possible I should have an editable notebook with all the covers that I am going to upload to Dropbox. Thanks to this tutorial I know that I have been able to create css to upload to Dropbox and put it in the css of the list.

I know that what I am asking is a bit complex and complicated, but I would like to know if that can be done in order to keep my anime list in optimal condition (since there are always blurred covers because the official cover of that certain anime has not yet arrived) but I do not see what is the laziness of the MAL staff to edit the cover to make it smaller (since the cover that looks bad is because they upload a very long and small cover). Thanks again Valerio

Any CSS can be uploaded to Dropbox and imported into your MAL CSS. You just have to make sure it's all valid CSS and that the file ends in a ".css" file extension.
Jul 28, 2021 9:47 AM

Feb 2010
EnderVsqz626 said:
Valerio_Lyndon said:

}

}

Ways to upload CSS and covers to other hosts like Dropbox are here
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1499059#msg63378306
Aug 1, 2021 11:39 AM

Feb 2010
@Valerio_Lyndon
I just thought: if you can add the MAL score and popularity ranking, then you can probably put it alongside your personal score and show how yours differentiate from the site's. That'd be pretty dope.

I also wonder if one generated this data for SpaceCowboy's list which has all anime, then maybe it could be an import anyone could use and then add to their list with other CSS to show the features on their list quickly and easily. That'd be something completely new and cool! Of course someone would have to update the SpaceCowboy import lol.
Aug 1, 2021 12:50 PM

May 2010
Shishio-kun said:
@Valerio_Lyndon
I just thought: if you can add the MAL score and popularity ranking, then you can probably put it alongside your personal score and show how yours differentiate from the site's. That'd be pretty dope.

I also wonder if one generated this data for SpaceCowboy's list which has all anime, then maybe it could be an import anyone could use and then add to their list with other CSS to show the features on their list quickly and easily. That'd be something completely new and cool! Of course someone would have to update the SpaceCowboy import lol.

my tool the alternative to this can create all anime/manga css without the need to use it on someone's list, but only for synopses so far.
ShaggyZEAug 1, 2021 1:45 PM
Aug 1, 2021 1:52 PM

Feb 2010
ShaggyZE said:
Shishio-kun said:
@Valerio_Lyndon

my tool the alternative to this can create all anime/manga css without the need to use it on someone's list, but only for synopses so far.

I see, thats cool! :D
Oct 6, 2021 1:21 AM

May 2010
@Shishio-kun you happen to know why the synopsis on my manga list only shows one line, if I add overflow:auto then it lets me scroll and see that the whole synopsis is there just no line breaking, something with the clarity theme is causing it.

Edit:
Nevermind, went through all 2383 lines of code sectioning them out to find the culprit, changed
.data.title .link.sort {
	white-space: nowrap;
}
to
.data.title .link.sort {
	white-space: normal !important;
}

ShaggyZEOct 6, 2021 10:55 PM
Feb 9, 2022 12:18 AM

May 2010
@Valerio_Lyndon it looks like MAL changed the header requirements for ajax.inc.php so I think you need to add
request2.setRequestHeader("Access-Control-Allow-Origin", "https://myanimelist.net");
but I could be wrong.

ShaggyZEFeb 9, 2022 12:53 AM
May 8, 2022 4:21 PM

Sep 2021
Hi. First of all, loving your layouts, thank you very much for sharing! Second, I just can't get the synopsis works TT

Would you mind looking what is wrong? I might've been confused with all the stuff. Here is my Code.
May 8, 2022 5:07 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
ASMN said:
Hi. First of all, loving your layouts, thank you very much for sharing! Second, I just can't get the synopsis works TT

Would you mind looking what is wrong? I might've been confused with all the stuff. Here is my Code.

You seem to be using code from two different templates. At the end of your theme's CSS, you have some styling code from Shishio's synopsis post above.

However, for your generated code you are using a template code from a completely different source. Your generator template & code does not work with the aformentioned styling code. It also relies on tags being enabled on your list and has additional info such as genres and titles. You do not have tags enabled in your list settings so none of these changes are being displayed.

In summary, you need to switch generator template to Shishio's, to match your styling CSS:
.list-table .list-table-data:hover .data.title .link[href^="/anime/[ID]/"]::before { content:"[DESC]"; }

Or, you need to enable tags and change styling CSS to make your custom template appear nice. If you want to keep a custom generator template with genres and all that, then I can assist you in making one that works with your list. But, I will need exact descriptions of how you envision everything to be positioned/displayed.

---

Whichever option you choose, some modifications to the CSS will need to be made as Shishio's code was made for default lists and not Clarity, so the display is a bit buggy either way. Again, I can assist here, but I need to know what your end goal is.
May 8, 2022 6:48 PM

May 2010
@Valerio_Lyndon depending on what she chooses you can refer to the code on my https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/ShaggyZE (even though you'd have no issue doing it) as I use your code for synopsis and Shishio's code for mini-reviews which works for Clarity though I did need to Post #34
ShaggyZEMay 8, 2022 7:06 PM
May 8, 2022 10:15 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
ShaggyZE said:
@Valerio_Lyndon depending on what she chooses you can refer to the code on my https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/ShaggyZE (even though you'd have no issue doing it) as I use your code for synopsis and Shishio's code for mini-reviews which works for Clarity though I did need to Post #34

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.
Mar 24, 2023 8:21 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Updated to v7.0.

A small update that was sitting complete but unreleased for far too long.

Function
• Notes can now be updated in the same way Tags already could be.

Fixes
• Minor code improvements/potential fixes.
Apr 6, 2023 7:50 AM

Oct 2016
A small thing, but I noticed that the [RANK] replacement currently shows the score rank, and not the popularity rank as intended. It would be great if you could fix this at some point.

Great tool btw, just started using it.
Apr 7, 2023 12:15 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Ruse125 said:
A small thing, but I noticed that the [RANK] replacement currently shows the score rank, and not the popularity rank as intended. It would be great if you could fix this at some point.

Great tool btw, just started using it.
Thanks for pointing this out! I must have simply not been thinking when I wrote the guide, as I meant for it to target the score ranking. I've updated the tool to v8.0 which adds a new [POPULARITY] replacement for the popularity ranking.
Jun 5, 2023 11:32 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016

New update: v9.0

This update primarily consists of UX changes that should make daily life easier, as well as under-the-hood changes to prep for intended bigger features.

Function
  • You can now skip entire categories if you don't want to process them.

UI and UX
  • Errors and warnings are now logged directly to the interface so that you know what's happening.
  • Options in the sidebar have been re-arranged and grouped to hopefully prevent confusion for new users.
  • UI is no longer affected by custom CSS themes, which should prevent oddities and issues.
  • Added dark mode and refreshed the design.

Fixes
  • Image validation did not work with webp files.
  • Total Duration tag setting was not being saved.
  • Note settings were not being saved.

Edit:
v9.1 has also been released to fix a couple of oversights. If you are having any issues, please try updating to the new version.
Valerio_LyndonJun 6, 2023 8:06 PM
Jun 11, 2023 6:19 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
New update: v10.0

This update finally brings a userscript version and some much-needed code refactors and fixes.

Function
  • Added a "Minimise" button so that you can keep browsing your list while the tool does its work.
  • User will now be prompted when trying to navigate away during processing.

UI and UX
  • More grouping tweaks.
  • Improved image validation UX.

Fixes
  • Fix Last Run saved setting getting lost when updating from versions before v9.0.
  • Fixed image validation checks being severely broken.
  • Fixed category options not affecting old lines.
  • Fixed rereading items being considered their original status.

Unfortunately this release is not as feature-rich as I had hoped as I have been hitting a wall implementing any kind of automatic file hosting. Due to MAL's website setup, I don't believe it possible to send those sorts of cross-site requests. If anyone can correct me on that, I'd love them to.
Jun 11, 2023 7:00 PM

Feb 2010
@Valerio_Lyndon Thank you for the updates! You should really do a recording of yourself using it and post it as a video, something like "enhancing my list with *tool name*". We can share it later for sure. A video on the layout maker would also be good, something like, "Install a premade layout with *ap name*"
Jun 12, 2023 11:46 AM

Feb 2010
@Valerio_Lyndon This topic has been shared! Weird, it says you shared it I think that's yet another MAL bug lol.

I made one edit where I added the month/year of the update to the top of the post, so ppl would know this is newly updated.
Shishio-kunJun 12, 2023 11:49 AM
Jun 12, 2023 12:27 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Shishio-kun said:
Weird, it says you shared it I think that's yet another MAL bug lol.

Mine says it was by you 👀

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jun 12, 2023 12:52 PM

Dec 2019
SheyCroix said:
Shishio-kun said:
Weird, it says you shared it I think that's yet another MAL bug lol.

Mine says it was by you 👀
so does mine

but the first post has a bunch of broken links...

Jun 12, 2023 1:18 PM

Jan 2021
The links to install the script in the first post seem to be broken.
Jun 12, 2023 3:31 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
@johneaston @hacker09 Well, that's embarrassing. It's what I get for updating the post right before going to bed, I guess. It should be fixed now though! Thanks for pointing it out.

And thanks Shishio for sharing it. :)
Valerio_LyndonJun 12, 2023 3:38 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ❓ Ask for help here + See Frequently Asked Questions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shishio-kun - Apr 15, 2010

7812 by mtsRhea »»
Apr 21, 5:25 AM

» [CSS- MODERN] ⭐ Minimal Dashboard layout by 5cm ~ Compact and convenient! ( 1 2 3 )

Shishio-kun - Sep 4, 2020

121 by Pokitaru »»
Apr 21, 3:25 AM

» [CSS-MODERN] Change list text/font colors on any list layout

Shishio-kun - May 4, 2021

3 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

» [CSS] [VIDEO GUIDE] ⭐️ How to change fonts on a list layout

Shishio-kun - Jul 15, 2019

17 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 4:03 PM

» [CSS][Modern] ☀️ Endless Summer Layout by Cateinya ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cateinya - Aug 18, 2016

309 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 3:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.