Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 6, 2021 8:32 PM

Mar 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mio is so cute!! I'm so happy to see him animated!

The anime adapted the art style in a really beautiful way. It gave me the same kind of feeling that the manga's art gives me.

When Shun, instead of working, was doodling a cat on his manuscript, I laughed so hard. That is probably the most relatable thing ever!

Eri and Suzu are so clearly a couple. How did I not immediately see that when reading the manga!!

I wish Mio hadn't mentioned he likes girls. That makes it sound like he's bi-curious and might one day fall out of love with Shun.

I have forgotten most of the manga's story, which is a good thing because I got to enjoy this story all over again. But, I feel like some scenes and characters were cut in the anime. I'm not so sure, though.

I didn't think Sakurako would show up here. I wonder if it means they're planning on adapting the sequel too. There isn't much content there, but I really do want to see the sequel.
Mar 7, 2021 5:22 PM
Jul 2020
I cried a lot..I love Shun and Mio
Mar 7, 2021 5:49 PM

Jun 2017
My thought piece can be found here. Please be warned it is more than 5000 words long.

Suffice to say I have a few things to say.

Love to see someone using Stars Align avatars : )
Mar 8, 2021 2:02 AM
Aug 2020
Man I cried a lot at this, but in the best way. It was just so sweet and soft and lovely, but filled with such sincerity and passion. I just can’t put into words how much I adore this film and the vibe it gives off. Just 2 boys that care so much for each other stumbling about, trying to figure out their relationship, learning to work through their hardships together. Just beautiful.
And I adore them both so much. Mio is just the softest, so adorable and pouty but I love that he takes charge and puts himself out there. And shun can be so grumpy but he has a soft side, and can be so sweet if he just lets himself. What they go through is true and honest, nothing is played up for drama, it’s raw, but they come out of it better and stronger.
And can I just say, that the sex scene was by far the most well done sex scene I’ve ever seen animated. It was so honest and full of intimacy, nothing felt like they were just doing it for the audience. It was clumsy at times but you could just tell how much they wanted to be close even if they were nervous. And they talked, they asked each other how they were doing, and man did I ball my eyes out.
Man this film just got to me. It’s like they went into my head and found everything I love and put it into a film. And I cried for a good 10 minutes even after the credits had finished, just basking in how lovely it was. They’re just two people in love, and it’s so cute and kinda messy and up and down but filled with such emotion and eeeeeeek I’m rambling I’m trying to put it into works but I can’t. It just made me feel a lot, and in the best way.
Also, please please please say they’re animating the sequel.
Mar 9, 2021 12:53 PM

Jun 2017
FuMomo-kun said:
I wonder if it means they're planning on adapting the sequel too. There isn't much content there, but I really do want to see the sequel.

There is enough stuff in the sequel to be adapted. But they included quite a few scenes from the sequel in this film already. So this reduction in content is likely one barrier.

I don't think the film did particularly well. Like so many other films, it probably only had a limited showing in the first place. It didn't make top 10 in its opening week in regular theatres and mini-theatres (unlike Given). The DVDs seems to be selling okay, it was at #5 for first week sales. This is probably the real barrier.
Mar 9, 2021 9:09 PM

Mar 2016
xxmsxx said:
FuMomo-kun said:
I wonder if it means they're planning on adapting the sequel too. There isn't much content there, but I really do want to see the sequel.

There is enough stuff in the sequel to be adapted. But they included quite a few scenes from the sequel in this film already. So this reduction in content is likely one barrier.

I don't think the film did particularly well. Like so many other films, it probably only had a limited showing in the first place. It didn't make top 10 in its opening week in regular theatres and mini-theatres (unlike Given). The DVDs seems to be selling okay, it was at #5 for first week sales. This is probably the real barrier.

I meant nothing big has happened in the sequel for it to be turned into anything yet. It's easier to enjoy mangas and comics where nothing big happens, but it's harder to do the same thing with films, TV or novels.

This film didn't do well? That hurts! I liked this more than Given's film version.
Mar 12, 2021 7:32 PM

Apr 2017
One of the greatest Shounen Ai ever made
10/10
I cannot wait to see Harukaze no Étranger adapted as well😍
Mar 13, 2021 6:02 PM
Feb 2016
Very moving, delicate story. Beautifully animated.
Mar 13, 2021 6:13 PM

Jun 2017
FuMomo-kun said:
This film didn't do well? That hurts! I liked this more than Given's film version.

Me too. After watching Given, I just had no reaction to it. I didn't feel empty, it was just very meh. But after Etranger, there were so much going on in my head, I had to write it all down.

There are some merchandise available on the official Japanese website. I am probably going to fork out some money for it so at least it gets a little bit of support.
Mar 14, 2021 10:10 AM

Dec 2014
A good movie, but I felt it was a little rushed at times. Loved the ending, however I didn't like how Mio said he likes girls so he is bisexual then.
Mar 16, 2021 4:33 AM

Jun 2020
Yay!! I was really looking forward to this. Especially so since Matsuoka Yoshitsugu voices Mio ♡_____♡ I absolutely loved the manga it was a short but really sweet read & the characters & art were amazing. The adaptation is great & I loved the art & voice work. Murata Taishi was a great Shun!! They definitely cut some scenes.........and the pacing was really quick, if only the film were a tad bit longer! Do read the manga if you liked the film, it’s only 4 chapters but so beautiful & there’s more content & dialogue!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Mar 23, 2021 12:37 AM
Feb 2017
Really enjoyed this one. The part where Shun's classmates were making fun of him and assuming he was homosexual was super relatable. It makes you understand why he was so hesitant to accept Mio's feelings at first. The normal approach to relationships is hard for the lgbt+ people no matter how much you're into the other person. The sex scene felt realistic and I really appreciate how they showed that it isn't all easy and amazing for a first time.

The art and music were both good. The art especially was really neat plus those flower shots were really pretty. The music fitted the tone of the movie really well.

I wish they had fleshed out the story a bit more and a little more for the characters. Would've been a 10/10 for sure then. Will have to read the manga for that I guess.
Mar 27, 2021 11:28 AM

Jul 2015
Aaaw, this was such a beautiful adaptation. The animation was great, VA too, and the flow of the story goes according to the manga. The music was really good too.

I'm thankful that we got this wonderful story animated with such care. Blue Lynx keeps getting better.
Mar 31, 2021 5:31 PM

Dec 2007
Very very confusing, unfortunately couldn't enjoy properly :(

I haven't read the manga so this movie was just a lot of wasted potential. I probably won't read it in the future as well so I would really be very grateful if a kind soul could please straighten the story for me?

Who are Suzu and the other girl? Who is grandma, whose grandma is she? How did Shun and Mio get from "that's disgusting" to flirting? Where did Mio go for 3 years and why? Did Shun lie in the end about sleeping with a girl? So much was not accounted for T.T
The rest of the story can more or less speak for itself, but it might have been better to include more detail/base info at the beginning (and make it full length)
Apr 3, 2021 4:32 PM
Sep 2015
What a bad movie. I was so excited to watch this movie after watching the trailer but I clearly see it's overhyped.

The dialogue was so childish (or maybe I should have waited for an official translation instead of watching this movie for free). But even considering the possibility that the subs are wrong, the characters' motives still remained a mystery for me. The MC loved a guy and when said guy loves him back, he acts indifferent. I never got why. It's like the roles got switched.

The art was gorgeous and that's why I'm giving it a 5/10. The shirtless hug was super pure.
Apr 3, 2021 10:38 PM

Jul 2019
Enjyu said:

I haven't read the manga so this movie was just a lot of wasted potential. I probably won't read it in the future as well so I would really be very grateful if a kind soul could please straighten the story for me?

Who are Suzu and the other girl? Who is grandma, whose grandma is she? How did Shun and Mio get from "that's disgusting" to flirting? Where did Mio go for 3 years and why? Did Shun lie in the end about sleeping with a girl? So much was not accounted for T.T

You don't really have to read the manga, it's just 1 volume which the movie adapted well

I think those were all of your questions but let me know if you have more doubts

FuMomo-kun said:
I wish Mio hadn't mentioned he likes girls. That makes it sound like he's bi-curious and might one day fall out of love with Shun.

That's not how bisexuality works OP

ribbonaffair said:
Especially so since Matsuoka Yoshitsugu voices Mio ♡_____♡

Voice acting was so on point in this movie, so well produced and directed really

xxmsxx said:
I don't think the film did particularly well. Like so many other films, it probably only had a limited showing in the first place. It didn't make top 10 in its opening week in regular theatres and mini-theatres (unlike Given). The DVDs seems to be selling okay, it was at #5 for first week sales.

We just gotta keep in mind what was the studio aiming for. Since the studio is quite successful and the manga isn't particularly popular, they might not be aiming for the sky here. Given is booming and is becoming the most popular BL anime, and the movie had the anime behind it. They don't compare.

This movie was very gorgeous but in the anime business that never means it was expensive to make. Plus it's just 55 minutes of chill slice of life animation. The studio might be fine with just boosting manga sales and DVD sales. I can count the gay anime movies with the fingers in my hands, a successful studio doesn't just pick up a super gay manga and decides to make a movie out of it thinking they'll make a fortune.

Anime movie sequels can be profitable even if they are nowhere near mainstream audiences.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
KarinaraApr 5, 2022 12:55 PM
Apr 3, 2021 11:45 PM

Mar 2016
Rojaseb said:
FuMomo-kun said:

That's not how bisexuality works OP

I know that. The film, however, didn't say Mio was bi. They had him say he likes girls, instead of saying he also likes girls, which implies that he's a straight guy, who for some reason is attracted to this one guy. Somehow, that love feels temporary. Something that fades into platonic relation at best when they get older.

I wish Mio was actually gay, bi, pan, you know? Just someone who likes guys? It just makes me feel more secure about their relationship. (He says he's straight again in the sequel, which makes me feel like their relationship isn't real enough in their heads.)

I'm probably doing a bad job explaining, aren't I?
Apr 3, 2021 11:59 PM

Jul 2019
FuMomo-kun said:
I know that. The film, however, didn't say Mio was bi. They had him say he likes girls, instead of saying he also likes girls, which implies that he's a straight guy, who for some reason is attracted to this one guy.

You might have missed this:

Beginning of the movie, Shun to one of the girls he worked with: "It's just that the person I like happens to be of the same gender. Why is that weird, I wonder..."

End of the movie, Mio to Shun: "I like girls. Even so, I fell in love with Shun. It's not weird to fall in love with a guy".

Mio's statement about liking girls was not meant to come across as bi-curiosity. It was meant to deliver the last line, which was written as an answer to Shun's question 3 years ago.
Apr 4, 2021 12:33 PM
Feb 2008
I just saw it on Friday and i was was sooo deeply moved by this movie. Totally made me cry. I liked how it made it a realistic approach than most yaoi has ever done in anime.
liked also Given and Yuri on Ice.
Sure yes wish it was longer like beginning was pretty fast right away.

I don't get the criticism on Mio of not saying liking girls to shun. at least he was honest. To me while he was away make it seem like he found his sexuality liking boys and girls. thats how i got it from watching the movie on mio. its just me.
It was great showing Mio came back loving himself again on figuring himself out while away.
like is just a phase for liking shun or just doing that cause the death of his mom.
I know what its like losing a mom at such a young age (my mom died when i was 13) and yes emotions really can twist you up to get yourself back again. So am happy Mio took his time than most yaoi has done.

Also the age difference doesn't bother me like to me almost looked like they are the same age even though not.

Funny can't help thinking if "Call Me By Your Name" did a anime version it would look like this :)

Happy to have watched this and will watch it again in summer season. Also like to read the manga too and hearing the sequel is more better.

Apr 4, 2021 5:29 PM

Jun 2017
Rojaseb said:
We just gotta keep in mind what was the studio aiming for. Since the studio is quite successful and the manga isn't particularly popular, they might not be aiming for the sky here. Given is booming and is becoming the most popular BL anime, and the movie had the anime behind it. They don't compare.

This movie was very gorgeous but in the anime business that never means it was expensive to make. Plus it's just 55 minutes of chill slice of life animation. The studio might be fine with just boosting manga sales and DVD sales. I can count the gay anime movies with the fingers in my hands, a successful studio doesn't just pick up a super gay manga and decides to make a movie out of it thinking they'll make a fortune.

Anime movie sequels can be profitable even if they are nowhere near mainstream audiences.

I know that BR-DVD sales are not the be-all and end-all and studios don't necessarily make money from the films in most circumstances given the structure and membership of the Production Committee (PC).

Studio Hibari and its subsidiary Lerche is well-known to produce TV anime that have very poor disc sales. So if I were the company's executives, I would probably be fairly used to poor sales performance for the productions our company takes on. After all, they tend to get a set budget ahead of the time and all revenue generated go towards the PC anyway.

But if we assume the primary function of an anime film is to promote the source material, as it often but not always is and it could perfectly be for this case, then the PC still needs to evaluate if the film actually had an effect on the manga sales in the first place. Because if it does not, then there is no incentive to make a sequel to promote the source material.

Anime is first and foremost a business proposition. We occasionally get originals, but there is a reason why we often get an adaptation, because there is a pre-existing audience that the material can engage with, and hopefully make money from. Even if they think Etranger is not going to make a lot of money, it must be pitched to the PCs as a business proposition. It cannot be pitched as an artistic project without any financial incentive.

PCs can be very arbitrary. You can get great disc sales, but no sequels. You can get very flat disc sales, and a sequel is immediately greenlit. You can get a sequel even when the sales are poor. However, there is a case to be made to the PCs if there is substantial profit from the particular branch of the visual medium, irrespective to the boost for manga.

I would love to get an adaptation for Harukaze. But it just looks unlikely given the current state of things.
Apr 5, 2021 1:10 AM

Dec 2007
Rojaseb said:
Enjyu said:

You don't really have to read the manga, it's just 1 volume which the movie adapted well

The "grandma" is not Shun's family, he was renting the place working as a waiter and author. The girls were his coworkers. Mio apologized for his comment right away and got a crush on Shun soon after.

Shun was 17 at the time the story started and he already had the falling out with his family who don't live in the tiny island. Mio was picked up by social services because he was an underaged orphan.

Shun might have lied about the sex. I think Mio stopped the kiss because it basically meant it was Shun's first kiss with a girl (if he lied) or it meant Shun had sex with Sakurako but he was definitely not "gentle and kind" since he didn't even kiss her, he was probably indifferent while having sex with her which made Mio angry. I believe that scene was left up to interpretation.

I think those were all of your questions but let me know if you have more doubts

Thank you kind sir, your explanation and other comments on the topic have shed a lot of light on a lot of questions. With this in mind I will probably be able to enjoy this to it's full extent when I rewatch it next
Apr 5, 2021 2:52 PM

Nov 2007
I got so excited about the setting being in Okinawa...and they captured the Oki life so so well. It made me miss Okinawa so so much, I kinda want to move back right now haha. But all I can do is go fry some sata andagi (which they called donatsu just to trigger me or smth...They are donuts but no one calls them that please).

Anyway, this is not the point...I started reading the manga when it was still getting serialised but didn't keep up. I always liked it though, especially the elements of realism in the story and I am happy it got such a well done movie. It's really pretty. Also, the ending song is kinda a bop??

Btw. the synopsis is not exactly right. Mio didn't leave Okinawa to go to the mainland (unlike me -_-)...he went to the main island aka Okinawa Honto. They were living on some random smaller one.
Apr 7, 2021 9:00 AM

Oct 2015
I read the manga nearly 2 years ago, so the details were pretty blurry going in, but it seems pretty much faithful to it and even included some backstory that wasn't there if memory serves right. Not to say that means it's amazing, since the original material wasn't particularly strong either, perhaps due to the brevity of it, but it's serviceable.

The dialogue is immensely cringeworthy. I'd expect some level of social awkwardness since it's young people in love or something but oh god some parts it visibly hurts. The sex part is an exception since it's supposed to be awkward and uncomfortable, so I actually welcomed that it wasn't as though they knew what they were doing and were trying to explore what felt natural and whatnot. I also like that it's kind of an outlier in BL stories in that it has a female majority cast (4 non-trivial female characters vs only 2 non-trivial male). There's the funny trend with BL manga/anime that it takes place in an alternate universe with 90% men population, which may hurt with the realism in certain stories. The art is very pretty, especially in relation to the background. I liked seeing a different & more tropical setting than usual, and Okinawa isn't represented much in animanga media which is a bonus.

Story is rather shallow, they fall for one another way too quickly. And it abandons the "Mio sad boi" shenanigans like 10 minutes in with a couple years timeskip and immediately get them together. The struggles of Shun is understandable, but it's not explored upon in the slightest, outside of one scene where a classmate is being homophobic.

And it also kinda irked me that, even before the timeskip, Shun had already stopped being a student right? So all of the classmate homophobia was already experienced prior to the beginning of the movie. Yet, he pursues Mio all the same pre-timeskip, but acts distant which becomes the focus of the movie post-timeksip, his implied reason is that it's more trouble than its worth due to societal perceptions. It's just kinda weird that he pursued him in the first place then, since his reasons were present pre-timeskip also? Anyway that just seemed strange to me.

It's decent, but nothing to write home about. I'm thinking low-6 or high-5. I'm not exactly sure yet.
Auron_Apr 7, 2021 9:08 AM
Apr 17, 2021 8:36 AM

Mar 2016
Seiya said:

What really ruined things for me, was the sex scene. I refuse to watch stuff with sex in it, so when I saw the "shounen-ai" tag for this anime, I figured that there wouldn't be any sex, but sadly, I was wrong, and I was quite disturbed by it.

You don't like sex scenes?
Apr 17, 2021 9:54 AM

Mar 2016
Seiya said:
FuMomo-kun said:

You don't like sex scenes?

No, I don't. I find sex disturbing, as it's not something I want to see.

I see. Can I ask if it's the idea of sex that you find disturbing or is it just sex scenes?
I personally get uncomfortable when I see sex scenes in anime because some people had to voice act it in a studio and others had to animate it, direct it and add sound effects to it. But I don't mind it as much in novels and manga as long as the build-up feels natural.
Apr 17, 2021 9:07 PM

Mar 2016
Seiya said:
FuMomo-kun said:

I see. Can I ask if it's the idea of sex that you find disturbing or is it just sex scenes?
I personally get uncomfortable when I see sex scenes in anime because some people had to voice act it in a studio and others had to animate it, direct it and add sound effects to it. But I don't mind it as much in novels and manga as long as the build-up feels natural.

I mostly find sex scenes disturbing. It's not something that I want to see, and in my opinion, there's no need for it to be shown.

If I met a guy that I liked, then I probably would eventually have sex with him, although I'm not attracted to naked people, so I'd probably find it a bit strange, lol.

You're right about that. Sex scenes tend to be unnecessary a lot of times. I generally do like it in books, though, as long as they're short and rare.

Oh, you're not attracted to naked people. I guess I am starting to understand why it would be disturbing for you to see sex scenes. A lot of stories tend to have them even when they can just completely avoid it, and I'd be quite annoyed if something I don't like was constantly shoved onto my face.
By the way, if you ever find the guy that you like, I hope you don't feel pressured to do something you're not comfortable with.
Apr 18, 2021 7:56 AM

Mar 2016
Seiya said:
FuMomo-kun said:

You're right about that. Sex scenes tend to be unnecessary a lot of times. I generally do like it in books, though, as long as they're short and rare.

Oh, you're not attracted to naked people. I guess I am starting to understand why it would be disturbing for you to see sex scenes. A lot of stories tend to have them even when they can just completely avoid it, and I'd be quite annoyed if something I don't like was constantly shoved onto my face.
By the way, if you ever find the guy that you like, I hope you don't feel pressured to do something you're not comfortable with.

Well, if I were in love with a guy, I think that I would be okay with sleeping with him, although maybe I'm what's referred to as a "side," whereas I would rather do other things that didn't involve penetration.

Sides don't often show up in stories, do they? I wish they did. It would allow guys to safely explore other possibilities that don't involve penetration.
Apr 18, 2021 9:26 AM

Mar 2016
Seiya said:
FuMomo-kun said:

Sides don't often show up in stories, do they? I wish they did. It would allow guys to safely explore other possibilities that don't involve penetration.

Yeah, that would be nice. It's sad that many people don't even know that sides exist.

I know. I also only learnt about two or three years ago.
Apr 27, 2021 8:26 PM

Mar 2016
Very interesting. I did not expect this kind of a story going in and it's actually my first anime of this topic. It was fun, kinda cute I guess. I liked it.

Jun 2, 2021 7:59 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
I really enjoyed it. I've been seeing people call the story incoherent and honestly while a bit more effort could have been put in to make it flow better I don't think that it's awful on it's own. The only real issue I had was when they were on the mainland and it never showed them going back, but even then I was able to figure out what was going on after a couple minutes. The sex scene was a bit unnecessary I guess, but at the same time I feel like it shows that Shun and Mio were ready to take their relationship to the next level (ofc that could have been shown in other ways but eh). The art was really great, especially the backgrounds those were absolutely gorgeous.

I'll definitely be picking up both mangas at some point bc I just need more of the story. It's unfortunate from what xxmsxx said that there probably won't be a sequel but at least the manga is still there. I also wanna check out Kanna Kii's other works, since I love her character design from what I've seen.
Jun 3, 2021 8:41 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Ahh I loved it so much! I do think it feels very fast paced, although when I read the manga, it didn't feel that way. I just went to re-read the first chapter (for the nth time), and it really is that fast...though actually, the movie lengthened and added some scenes in, so it's odd that it still feels fast to me. Maybe it just works better in manga format. Not saying it was bad, but I can see the pacing feeling off for some (especially those who haven't read the manga).

The scenes they added in with Mio's mother were so cute, I loved them! We didn't get to see that in the manga, but the addition is both heartwarming and a good contrast to his current situation. We also didn't get to see the brief moment when he didn't want to bother the people who were taking care of him at the beginning, but I like the decision to omit that while adding more positive moments. I never noticed that Mio wore two bracelets, one being his mother's. It was much more obvious in the movie~ (You can see it though in chapter 4's one page flashback with Mio and his mother).

Overall, it was a cute and relaxing watch. The color palette was so pretty, a mix of happiness, calmness, and a bit of nostalgia. Honestly just for the setting and the atmosphere, I'd re-watch it right away. The character designs were also on point to Kii Kanna's art, I'm really happy that these lovable characters were animated. Off-topic, but I'm also looking forward to the movie where Kii Kanna made original character designs for! Her art style is so cute.
Jun 6, 2021 1:48 PM
May 2020
As an anime only watcher, it was slightly disappointing. I expected a well written story that slowly unravels the past, secrets and feelings of Mio and Shun, but what I got was a quick-paced collection of scenes and not much character development. Also the movie does not show much of how they started to like each other other than Shun looking at Mio in the gym, which needs more explanation. I do not get how Mio was asking Shun to go to bed with him for half of the movie. The art is amazing though, I love the color of the flowers and the ocean. Overall, I enjoyed the animation, but I still don't know much about Mio and Shun, which is a bit disappointing considering how excited I was after finding the movie trailer.
Jul 10, 2021 9:12 AM

Oct 2008
poor Sakurako! YAOI is = BLERGH!!!
1/5.
1/10.

Jul 24, 2021 8:56 AM

Oct 2015
wdy said:
As an anime only watcher, it was slightly disappointing. I expected a well written story that slowly unravels the past, secrets and feelings of Mio and Shun, but what I got was a quick-paced collection of scenes and not much character development. Also the movie does not show much of how they started to like each other other than Shun looking at Mio in the gym, which needs more explanation. I do not get how Mio was asking Shun to go to bed with him for half of the movie. The art is amazing though, I love the color of the flowers and the ocean. Overall, I enjoyed the animation, but I still don't know much about Mio and Shun, which is a bit disappointing considering how excited I was after finding the movie trailer.

I don't think that's Mio. They waved at each other in that scene but later Shun doesn't know who Mio is. Also, in that scene those two early high schoolers? middle schoolers? (It's kinda confusing with the character design) were the same age. I think that's Shun's ~type.

Sep 4, 2021 9:59 AM

Jan 2013
I enjoyed it up until the fiancee showed up. I just couldn't take it seriously after that. Was the author so devoid of ideas about how to push the story forward? Need creative bankruptcy be covered by resorting to the most overused BL tropes? This shit has been a staple of the yaoi genre at least since the '90s.
Her being an ojou-sama dressed in something that must have been all the rage in the '20s ... of the 20th century made the matters even worse.

And...face slapping too! And call him 'BAKA!!' while crying, then storm out of the room! No, we can't have a realistic, down-to-earth story, we need to go over the top with shitty drama straight out of shoujo romance! Give me a break. I'm never gonna check out the author's other works LIKE EVER.
Sep 20, 2021 6:00 PM

May 2018
Shun and Mio's story is a beautiful one and deserves much more than a 1-hour movie. Guess I should be glad that we manga readers got this much.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Sep 23, 2021 3:45 AM

Aug 2017
Meh, the pacing ruined the movie for me. It needs be 1 hour longer :(

The drama is weird sometimes and the fiancee is awful. 5/10 for the movie.
NurguburuSep 23, 2021 4:15 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 25, 2021 1:23 PM
Jan 2019
Mmmm who knows name the guy was smoking and moi went to him to ask for advice, i guess he wasnt a woman right? And who is the voice actor ? Please
Oct 28, 2021 10:54 PM

Nov 2013
A clip of this came up in my Youtube feed, and it looked interesting, so I watched the whole thing.
I must admit, this was done in the most tasteful, innocent manner. Done right, as it were.
The character designs were above average, very appealing. Story was good too. A very enjoyable film.

Yes, the world's become a terrible place. That's why I decided to stop fighting a losing battle and just get lost in the anime world. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just teleport into our favorite anime universe and stay there forever?
Nov 3, 2021 11:13 PM

Sep 2021
Pacing was a little too fast in the first half of the film. The scenes just jumped from one point to another without giving enough time for the viewer to fully soak in the atmosphere of the scene. An example would be the sudden timeskip from Mio leaving to coming back in the next scene, 3 years later.

Animation and story were good. Kinda refreshing to see a film depict the 2 guys having coitus from start to end (though that could just be because I don't watch that many BL anime), even if they only showed us their top half...
Nov 17, 2021 4:30 PM

Sep 2017
Was a bit too fast paced to really get me invested, but it was still a pretty solid story in just 55mins.
Nov 26, 2021 1:25 AM

Dec 2015
SOOOO cuuteee!!!
Nov 27, 2021 6:56 PM

May 2013
Oooohhh, this was pretty good! *O*

The pacing was kinda fast, but it also felt slow at the same time. Prolly cuz of the lighting choice, serene music, and the slice of life atmosphere. Reminded me of Your Name. This prolly would've done much better with extended time, but it was still enjoyable nonetheless.

I liked how the relationships in this movie had some hiccups here and there. Made it more realistic.

I liked all the characters C:

Sex scene was nice too, eheheh ;P

9/10
Jan 20, 2022 3:52 PM

Jan 2016
Sad that their story was rushed. But besides that, that's a good movie overall. I liked the animation and music 'cause it helps to draw that slice of life kind of theme.
Jan 21, 2022 9:10 AM
Jul 2018
I was enjoying this so much right until he said he was a kid... Why does this happen? It would've been so easy to make them both adults/closer in age, but instead they're written to be 24 and 17... it's just creepy man.
Jan 28, 2022 8:55 AM

Oct 2017
Should've been longer but still good
Mar 5, 2022 12:55 AM

Jul 2021
Wait what the fuck I thought Mio would be in the bottom, I didn't expect Shun ngl 😭
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Mar 23, 2022 10:29 PM

Oct 2017
The backstory of the characters are good but the reason they fell in love does not explained too much.

Seems too rush in general.
I get that Shun fall for Mio which make sense cuz he's gay, so love on first sight make sense.
HOWEVER I don't get why Mio Fall for Shun at all since he's not gay.
If being nice to him is all it take for him to fall for him, then he should have fall in love with the other 2 nice girls too since he blushed when she hugged him.

This movie need another 30 mins of runtime to buildup their chemistry before they fall in love. It is too rushed.
If they want to make a love story this fast paced, might as well make Mio gay too from default so both just fall for each other on first sight would make the show more rational.
Ventus_SMar 23, 2022 10:34 PM
Apr 5, 2022 8:40 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Best scene in entire anime:

Apr 5, 2022 12:56 PM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
The thread has been cleaned
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Idk about you but I NEED A SECOUND MOVIE

LukeLippo - May 7, 2021

8 by passing_through »»
Dec 13, 2023 10:07 AM

» Why is this rated PG-13 if it has an explicit sex scene?

kari-ya - Sep 7, 2021

19 by Puppytay »»
Aug 14, 2023 9:12 AM

» I have a big doubt about Sakurako flashback :O

orlianime93 - Apr 11, 2022

8 by gulgamgug »»
Jun 23, 2022 10:27 PM

» Happy birthday chibana Mio

Sekainobaka - Dec 24, 2021

1 by cnsqwerty »»
Dec 27, 2021 9:25 PM

Poll: » Are you a gay? ( Men only )

PussyCats - Jul 3, 2021

31 by EuphAnime »»
Dec 2, 2021 10:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.