Forum Settings
Forums

What are some unfortunate pitfalls you come across when watching anime from decades past?

New
Mar 5, 2021 12:29 PM

May 2016
So I'm watching Martian Successor Nadesico for the first time. It's a classic show. But I missed out on it entirely. Now the time has come to rectify that, I told myself, and while I'm watching these first few episodes, I'm havin' a good time and enjoying a fun comedy mecha anime...

...but holy shit, is it ever 1996 in here. You remember the giant sweat drops and face-faults fondly, but spotting them in the wild in a show I've never seen before is fuckin' weird, man. I keep catching myself thinking, "Aren't we past these gags yet?!" but then I remember, "Oh...right. It's 1996. We aren't past these gags yet..." And then I'm trapped in this weird spot where I want to like the show more than I do, but it's got these archaic jokes that don't work anymore, but it's not the show's fault because face-faults were all the rage for the longest time and I can't be mad that 90s comedy anime haven't moved past it yet. It's like being mad at the 70s for motown.

Anyone else have some similar experiences while enjoying some classics from ye olden days?

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 5, 2021 12:42 PM
Jan 2012
Ranma 1/2 is infinitely harder to watch for me now. I'm totally fine with shows like this that don't show any progress, but when you have Happoussai being an unlikable perv every other episode and rarely gets punished for it (even when punished for it it's just a slap stick hit to the head or some shit), my god is it just an infuriating watch when he's on screen. People say Mineta is the worst character in anime, but at least he gets properly punished for his antics and isn't heralded as some super strong guy the main characters are somewhat reliant on at times.

Also the constant reminder that they're poor, it gets emotionally exhausting when almost every episode starts off with "yeah we're broke and on the brink of poverty". Like, they can be broke but do we really need to hear about it this often? Though this one's not just an older anime issue, but at least nowadays we have far less anime that lean on how broke the characters are. One of the first things I thought of when I first watched Gintama was "they're poor, but they aren't constantly talking about how poor they are like in Ranma, thank god". Older anime really liked to abuse their jokes to fill in the time.

It's still a really fun show, but god damn does it have a lot of speed bumps when it comes to enjoyment.
Mar 5, 2021 12:43 PM

Jun 2016
No I haven't experienced anything like that. I watch a lot of old comedies and I like that style of humor.
My problems with older anime are limited to crappy dvd transfers.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 5, 2021 1:09 PM

May 2020
I just finished watching the series and movie recently and thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. I didn't notice any "pitfalls" other than a few dips in animation quality in certain episodes.The movie took a left turn and felt way too short, but the animation was awesome. Overall it was really well written with quirky and interesting characters (I love Izumi) all while being able to poke fun at itself. Of course we've seen the jokes again and again since this show aired but I don't think that invalidates them here. When the show gets so damn ridiculous it is totally on purpose. I much prefer Nadesico to something like Full Metal Panic which is a total bore in comparison. '90s anime won't kill ya. Try Galaxy Angel.
Mar 5, 2021 3:12 PM

May 2018
Who lied to the OP that Martian Successor Nadesico is a classic?
Like it was 50% trash.
That Genki Ganger mecha parody joke started to drag out fast...at the end they even tried to put a dramatic spin on it.

unwanted_hair said:
to something like Full Metal Panic which is a total bore in comparison

Blame Gonzo for that. The seasons done by Kyoto Animation are way way better. And the one from Xebec is at least passable.
alshuMar 5, 2021 3:16 PM
Mar 5, 2021 3:14 PM

May 2012
No. Nothing is ever dated to me. It is why I appreciate all anime.
Mar 6, 2021 12:43 AM

Sep 2018
In Attacker You! (1984), the volleyball coach constantly beats up middle school girls and they don't even blame him, since he does that to "keep them focused" during their training.

I appreciate the boldness to show what was the mentality in Japan in the 70s-80s, even if I don't approve this brutal method of teaching, but I know that nowadays many would be shocked and wouldn't be able to contextualise, given the current state of the politically correct in tv series.
Mar 6, 2021 12:54 AM
Jul 2018
JoJo Part 1: phantom blood
It was such a drag.
Mar 6, 2021 1:01 AM

Dec 2020
I'm used to older comedy, action (with repeated action sequences lmao), romance, robots, etch. since I watched older shows when I was young.
That's why I don't have the experience of the unfortunate pitfalls you talked about.

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao
Mar 6, 2021 1:03 AM

Jul 2020
Borshta said:
It was such a drag.
I don't think thats the kinda thing he was referring to lol

Mar 6, 2021 1:55 AM
Jul 2018
I haven't watched that many old titles and don't really remember having a pitfall moment in those I watched. But this is the reason I don't try old comedies.

IPFdomain said:
Borshta said:
It was such a drag.
I don't think thats the kinda thing he was referring to lol

Yeah I got it wrong.
Mar 6, 2021 1:59 AM

Feb 2020
Well if you want to go really far back, no music and sometimes no dialogue cards either (I have watched some pretty old stuff...)
Mar 6, 2021 3:15 AM

Oct 2010
Nirinbo said:
In Attacker You! (1984), the volleyball coach constantly beats up middle school girls and they don't even blame him, since he does that to "keep them focused" during their training.

I appreciate the boldness to show what was the mentality in Japan in the 70s-80s, even if I don't approve this brutal method of teaching, but I know that nowadays many would be shocked and wouldn't be able to contextualise, given the current state of the politically correct in tv series.

the training today is no different, maybe in countries like Italy or USA they do it in some other way but in Japan they prefer to go all in. This vid is from the national team and they knew there were filmed, with no cameras out there, I think they beat the shit out of them girls.

I never had that feeling, I like those old jokes, in Cutey Honey there's a 5th Beatle joke, it was hilarious
Mar 6, 2021 5:15 AM

Sep 2018
Catalano said:
Nirinbo said:

the training today is no different, maybe in countries like Italy or USA they do it in some other way but in Japan they prefer to go all in. This vid is from the national team and they knew there were filmed, with no cameras out there, I think they beat the shit out of them girls.

I never had that feeling, I like those old jokes, in Cutey Honey there's a 5th Beatle joke, it was hilarious

I think harsh training is the norm everywhere, then I don't know about coaches beating up girls (it might still happen in Japan, definitely not in the West).

The real issue is when you censor it in works of fiction; a 2021 Netflix remake of Attacker You! would replace every slap with a lecture about gender inequality and racism.
Mar 6, 2021 5:15 AM

Jun 2020
Sometimes the animation be lookin crusty af
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 6, 2021 5:31 AM

Oct 2010
Nirinbo said:
Catalano said:

I think harsh training is the norm everywhere, then I don't know about coaches beating up girls (it might still happen in Japan, definitely not in the West).

The real issue is when you censor it in works of fiction; a 2021 Netflix remake of Attacker You! would replace every slap with a lecture about gender inequality and racism.

oh yeah, totally, Attacker You would be highly censored, also reminded me of this
Mar 6, 2021 5:38 AM

Apr 2015
60's and 70's kids' shows almost always have that one goddamn mascot character. I absolutely hate that.

Old shoujo too with their drama. I do enjoy it but must admit when there's that one bitch character trying to make life hard for our heroine as a week's episode plot you can't watch that for many hours in one day.

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 5 hours ago

25 by karemi_ »»
33 seconds ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 12 hours ago

21 by Orokanatenshi »»
12 minutes ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - 24 minutes ago

7 by Atmogenic »»
13 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 60 minutes ago

11 by MasterTasuke »»
15 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 5 hours ago

21 by PlasticRobot »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.