Forum Settings
Forums

What were the biggest mistakes you ever did in your time watching anime?

New
Jan 27, 2021 1:24 AM

Apr 2020
Mine is watching Higurashi GOU, without the regards of watching the OG seasons. After 16 episodes of mindlessly watching GOU, I came to the 'too late' realization and it cost me my immersion to the story and the show's mystery & worldbuilding.

We all have one or several instances of making a mistake in our anime experience. Things you look back to and say "yep I regret doing that thing, dear anime jesus never again". So what was your regrets/mistakes in your anime experience?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 27, 2021 1:35 AM

Feb 2020
Watching Fate/Zero before the other fates.
Now now, I know it is a subjective matter, as to whether you should start with Fate/Zero or /staynight, but I felt that watching F/Z ruined the main routes. Not only was it the best Fate, but also because there was a lot to take in from the very beginning. Starting with the og F/SN
or UBW would've been like watching everything from Shirou's pov which imo would be much better than nosediving into a Game of Thrones-esque drama.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2021 1:37 AM

Feb 2017
Watching Gintama for over 50 eps straight, hoping it would get better over time.

Watching Corpse Party Tortured Souls, believing it to be a scary horror anime only to discover that was an utter disappointment.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Jan 27, 2021 1:43 AM

Sep 2008
watching end of evangelion without locking the door first. get on my level.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jan 27, 2021 1:46 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
Typing a shows name into google or youtube and expecting not to get spoiled by autofill results.
Jan 27, 2021 1:48 AM
May 2020
Watching the episode 19 of Demon Slayer for the first time on phone with 480p resolution. I was too lazy to sit down and watch on TV or laptop, just want to get a lay down on the bed. Was confused why people keep talking about the animation on episode 19, and turned out i was just dumb and can't really see the animation.
Jan 27, 2021 1:51 AM

May 2020
Watching Shokugeki no Soma without headphones
Jan 27, 2021 1:58 AM

Dec 2020
I'd say I mainly have three mistakes that come to my mind:
Watching Gintama (2015) back when it was airing while not knowing any seasons before it. Though that quickly changed when I binge Gintama when it was airing and that was the best time of my life.

Not paying attention when I'm binging Steins;Gate when I first watch it back in 2013 since I had a lot of anime that I want to watch back then. So I didn't fully understand wtf is happening. But when I heard there was a VN for S;G back when I was addicted with VN's, I immediately jump to the VN and was mind-blowned. So I rewatched the anime and it instantly became one of my favorites.

And lastly, actually dropping Suzumiya Haruhi because it was pretty boring. I picked it up again back in 2015 when I finished watching Gintama since I need more Gintama. Why? Since Kyon is Gintoki (VA joke lol). And that was one of the best thing I did since I was introduced to one of my favorite movies, Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu.
After that, I told myself to never drop any anime anymore.

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao
Jan 27, 2021 2:05 AM

Oct 2020
Watching One Piece too fast.
At that time i was too focused to just catch up with the anime, so i watch around 20~25 episodes daily. Which resulted how i barely remember any side characters names...
A certain person lurking here
Jan 27, 2021 2:07 AM

Oct 2010
watching bleach on youtube, episodes were cut into 3 parts and the screen was smaller, but what could I do? the internet was shit in my college dorm and I only watched bleach on my tube tv at home, I was curious about hueco mundo so I had to watch it like that.
I repaired my mistake now for I rewatched bleach in 1080 on my flat tv, great experience
Jan 27, 2021 2:08 AM
Jul 2018
_FRB_ said:
Typing a shows name into google or youtube and expecting not to get spoiled by autofill results.

So true. I did the same while watching 'Angel Beats' and got spoiled by spoilers. Damn it!!!
Jan 27, 2021 2:10 AM

Apr 2020
Watching all of endless eights like something was gonna happen *insert Mike Wazowski meme* but after watching all of it I got the feeling of success that the time loop stopped so I don't regret that too much.
Also watching perfect blue recently without knowing there was gonna be a whole rape scene but I did have complete privacy so that didn't matter too much *heh*
Jan 27, 2021 2:12 AM

Oct 2020
searching the name of anime i was bout to watch on google ,

and it fucking showed up the questions like,

'How does the main character dies?'

i mean wtf , i just now know that the mc dies

OBAMOS
Jan 27, 2021 2:14 AM
Oct 2020
probably dropping some anime mid-watching and starting a new one, and after a while it starts to queue up. Im glad i dropped that habit after a while.
Jan 27, 2021 2:20 AM

Apr 2020
SagarSR said:
Now now, I know it is a subjective matter, as to whether you should start with Fate/Zero or /staynight, but I felt that watching F/Z ruined the main routes. Not only was it the best Fate, but also because there was a lot to take in from the very beginning. Starting with the og F/SN
or UBW would've been like watching everything from Shirou's pov which imo would be much better than nosediving into a Game of Thrones-esque drama.

That is a whole quagmire I do not need to step and partake on for some time.

Playay said:
Watching the episode 19 of Demon Slayer for the first time on phone with 480p resolution. I was too lazy to sit down and watch on TV or laptop, just want to get a lay down on the bed. Was confused why people keep talking about the animation on episode 19, and turned out i was just dumb and can't really see the animation.

Unfortunately, I also experienced this situation. I know I am obligated to watch it on HD, but thanks to the sluggish Internet, I never got to see the sakuga cum of THAT episode.
Jan 27, 2021 2:28 AM
Oct 2020
Accidentally spoiling myself every. single. Anime. That I wanted to watch the last few seasons
Jan 27, 2021 2:38 AM

Jun 2020
Watching Haruhi suzumiya movie without even knowing that there was a series before it. The first 15 minutes were ok and then suddenly they start talking about espers and time travellers. I literally sat through 3 hours of the movie hoping - "Now I will understand what's going on" and the movie ended and I didn't understand a fuckin' thing ...

Rewatched the movie recently after watching the series and it's one of the best things I watched till date...
Jan 27, 2021 2:54 AM

Apr 2017
Watching anime on sites like [REDACTED] etc. when there's [REDACTED].

I cannot watch anime anymore unless it's 1080p Blu-ray versions.
TaselJan 27, 2021 8:29 AM
cunnysseur
Jan 27, 2021 4:30 AM

Jan 2016
One time I told myself "I'm gonna watch all of Gundam", and then I did.
Jan 27, 2021 4:36 AM

Aug 2019
I watched the first 9 episodes of Steins;Gate Zero before watching Steins;Gate, thinking that it was a remake/reboot instead of the interquel it actually was. I was very confused, and once I looked up the Steins;Gate watch order, I immediately jumped to Steins;Gate the OG. I plan to rewatch it in the correct order in 2022 though.
Jan 27, 2021 5:13 AM

Jul 2020
SagarSR said:

Wait.... was I not supposed to start with Fate/zero?
raiderublaze said:
Mine is watching Higurashi GOU, without the regards of watching the OG seasons. After 16 episodes of mindlessly watching GOU, I came to the 'too late' realization and it cost me my immersion to the story and the show's mystery & worldbuilding.

We all have one or several instances of making a mistake in our anime experience. Things you look back to and say "yep I regret doing that thing, dear anime jesus never again". So what was your regrets/mistakes in your anime experience?

I actually made the same fucking mistake lmao. Except I realized earlier and stopped earlier.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Jan 27, 2021 5:20 AM

Jan 2020
Starting action shows with One Punch Man
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Jan 27, 2021 5:22 AM

Oct 2019
_FRB_ said:

I still do that xD

Also browsing through forums and expecting no spoilers for well known stuff.
Jan 27, 2021 5:27 AM
May 2018
SagarSR said:

People do debate over it, but I can't believe they do. Fate/Zero was written with Fate/Stay Night in mind, you are supposed to know the events of Fate before you watch Zero. That's why it's called "Zero": it's a prequel, you're supposed to see it after the original story even though chronologically it is before.

Personally, my biggest mistake was watching the Rewrite anime. It's an adaptation of a very long Visual Novel. I really didn't want to go through the entire VN, so I watched Season 1 and the beginning of Season 2. When I realized it sucked hard, I decided to muster up my courage and read the VN. And it was freaking awesome. But the anime spoiled me some key points of the story, so I was less surprised.

Conclusion: don't watch Rewrite. Read the VN. I know it's long, but in the end, it's totally worth it.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Jan 27, 2021 5:29 AM

Sep 2011
Staying close-minded about genres without trying them.

When I first started in like 2009 or so, I largely only watched serious and "cool" shows. Things that edgy little me thought were acceptable. (Monster, Death Note, Texhnolyze, Rainbow, Darker Than Black, that sort of thing). Don't get me wrong, those are great shows that I still love, but I was very close minded when it came to things like romance, slice of life, sports, comedy, drama, shoujo, shounen, basically anything that wasn't "dark" enough. I thought those genres were all terrible, but never actually gave them a try.

As soon as I started opening up to more genres and styles, I found that there's a ton more to enjoy, and now the genres I used to call garbage are among my favorites.

Edit - I also watched the first episode of season 2 of Chaika before watching season 1. Made a big mistake on Crunchyroll and thought S2 episode 1 was S1 episode 1. Needless to say, I was VERY confused.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Jan 27, 2021 5:32 AM

Sep 2011
Playay said:

Ouch. That's a rough one. I didn't even like the show that much but that episode was fantastic.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Jan 27, 2021 5:34 AM

Jul 2015
Probably deciding to binge whole five seasons of Symphogear just because I was curious why it suddenly appeared in top 5 airing. Wasn't really worth it.

Jan 27, 2021 5:39 AM

Apr 2019
Tasel said:
Watching anime on sites like kissanime, gogoanime, 9anime, 4anime etc. when there's nyaa.

I cannot watch anime anymore unless it's 1080p Blu-ray versions.

ikr, those sites compress video quality SO much.

Also note: don't list illegal site name, if you include a site name in your post it can get you autobanned (I know from experience)

Jan 27, 2021 7:00 AM

Feb 2020
AnimeLeviathan said:
SagarSR said:

I think most people suggested starting with Fate/Zero because at that time Heaven's Feel movies didn't come out yet and there's a minor spoiler linked to HF. So back then, I don't think it mattered as to what way you should start. But now that two HF movies are out and the plot point is revealed, it's safe to keep F/Z (the best) for the last.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2021 7:12 AM

Jan 2021
Watching the whole endless eight, man that was hell.
Jan 27, 2021 7:53 AM

Sep 2020
Probably watching Nisemonogatari in an unlocked room
watch this and your dick (or vagayna) will literally blow off with the sheer amount of force and momentum created by inertia and Einsteins second law :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXJuefY2tG1lB9q7QaFJQLQ
Jan 27, 2021 7:54 AM
Feb 2017
Basically being spoiled about numerous things.
Jan 27, 2021 8:04 AM

Dec 2020
SagarSR said:
people really understate how much Zero spoils F/SN.
I started with Zero thinking that it will spoil like one or two plot points in F/SN, then I realized it spoils almost every character's backstory and ruins a lot of the mystery of F/SN.
Jan 27, 2021 8:06 AM

Dec 2020
SagarSR said:
AnimeLeviathan said:

I think most people suggested starting with Fate/Zero because at that time Heaven's Feel movies didn't come out yet and there's a minor spoiler linked to HF. So back then, I don't think it mattered as to what way you should start. But now that two HF movies are out and the plot point is revealed, it's safe to keep F/Z (the best) for the last.

I recommend recommending the VN since its God Tier story will keep you from thinking that Shirou has "plot-armor" since every choice you make is pretty important, whether it will lead to bad ends or the main route ending.
I remember playing the VN back then in Heaven's Feel route and

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao
Jan 27, 2021 8:08 AM
Feb 2017
Wanna know what my biggest mistake was? Watching Kill Me Baby.
Jan 27, 2021 8:10 AM

Dec 2020
CLADDAN said:
SagarSR said:
people really understate how much Zero spoils F/SN.
I started with Zero thinking that it will spoil like one or two plot points in F/SN, then I realized it spoils almost every character's backstory and ruins a lot of the mystery of F/SN.

Yep, I started with the VN back then so I was pretty unaffected by the spoiler of Zero, but for first-time watchers, it's pretty bad.
It leads up to secondaries thinking that Zero is better than Stay/Night which is a joke lmao

Jan 27, 2021 7:24 PM

Jul 2017
Make my friend who's completely new to anime at the time watch Prison School with me in the bus for his first anime. Too many questions and judgement.
Jan 27, 2021 7:29 PM

Apr 2018
Getting into Fate

Hours of my life wasted
Jan 27, 2021 7:30 PM

Sep 2019
Watching 5 animes at once... watching more then 1 drains me nowadays. I just really use it as background noise or go to bed to a dub like FT, One Piece, or Highschool DxD... wish I had the energy to watch again tbh
"I suffered all my life. No one ever truly loved me. No one ever truly cared about me. I only loved one thing in my whole life and that was Christina Menefee. But she was torn away from me. I tried to save myself with [student’s name], but she never cared for me. As it turns out, she made fun of me behind my back while we were together. And all throughout my life I was ridiculed. Always beaten, always hated. [...] I am malicious because I am miserable."

"It was not a cry for attention, it was not a cry for help. It was a scream in sheer agony [...]"
-Luke Woodham

Jan 27, 2021 7:31 PM

May 2013
I would say watching Full Metal Alchemist before Brotherhood. But what can I say, I never knew it was off the original story but still enjoyed it anyway. But still, I have a hard time watching brotherhood since its basically the same everything with changes in the story. Besides FMA came first and so FMAB came later and I was off anime at that point. I am confused how I would be able to watch it well. But I'll see, I gelt like watching it anyways...

Jan 27, 2021 7:33 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
This is why you must autistically know the chronology of every anime you watch before watching them like I do.

Just know that the Monogatari series begins with Doukutsu Monogatari, and THEN Ore Monogatari. Morons will tell you otherwise.

I really feel like I have a reputation here of complaining about Violet Evergarden whenever I get the chance. Biggest waste of time.

@LucidDreamsED
LOL look at my currently watching and on-hold. I thought my watching and on-hold were small until I looked at your post.
Jan 27, 2021 7:35 PM

Sep 2019
ChartTopper60 said:
This is why you must autistically know the chronology of every anime you watch before watching them like I do.

Just know that the Monogatari series begins with Doukutsu Monogatari, and THEN Ore Monogatari. Morons will tell you otherwise.

I really feel like I have a reputation here of complaining about Violet Evergarden whenever I get the chance. Biggest waste of time.

@LucidDreamsED
LOL look at my currently watching and on-hold. I thought my watching and on-hold were small until I looked at your post.

Just looked at yours, I don't know how you people can do it. Anime is amazing... but i would be drained in a day with that. :(
"I suffered all my life. No one ever truly loved me. No one ever truly cared about me. I only loved one thing in my whole life and that was Christina Menefee. But she was torn away from me. I tried to save myself with [student’s name], but she never cared for me. As it turns out, she made fun of me behind my back while we were together. And all throughout my life I was ridiculed. Always beaten, always hated. [...] I am malicious because I am miserable."

"It was not a cry for attention, it was not a cry for help. It was a scream in sheer agony [...]"
-Luke Woodham

Jan 27, 2021 7:35 PM

Apr 2020
Not watching Haruhi in broadcast order. I plan on rewatching the series when I get the chance.

beep boop bop pow
Jan 27, 2021 7:36 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
LucidDreamsED said:
ChartTopper60 said:

@LucidDreamsED

Just looked at yours, I don't know how you people can do it. Anime is amazing... but i would be drained in a day with that. :(

Trust me, I am drained. I can't handle it at all anymore. Now I've begun to watch anime once in a blue moon!
Jan 27, 2021 7:37 PM
Dec 2019
Wathcing anime. I could've used that time to do something better with my life.
Jan 27, 2021 7:38 PM

Sep 2019
ChartTopper60 said:
LucidDreamsED said:

Trust me, I am drained. I can't handle it at all anymore. Now I've begun to watch anime once in a blue moon!

Same. Highschool DxD and One Piece are pure hype for me even when i'm not into anime tho

I'm not sure if it's possible to watch like 50 anime in a day...

-Luke Woodham

Jan 27, 2021 8:11 PM
Jan 2021
trusting the AOT manga readers to not spoil every detail in the show for no reason
searching up a character in google and seeing death follow their name in autofill
expecting not to cry watching literally any show, even comedy
Jan 27, 2021 8:16 PM

Mar 2020
Forcing myself through ReZero S1 was pretty painful. I kept thinking there has to be a reason people like this show so much but I cant stand Subaru it was one of my worst anime experiences getting through it all. I can normally watch a 2 cour season in one day. ReZero took me several week tog et through. I feel stupid for forcing myself now but at the time I kept thinking it would get better how could it be rated so high if it stays this stupid....etc
-Ecliptix-Jan 27, 2021 8:20 PM
Jan 27, 2021 8:27 PM

Jul 2007
raiderublaze said:

I blame the marketing and even the creator claiming that newcomers could start Higurashi with Gou. As a long time Higurashi fan, that is absolutely absurd. Gou is good BECAUSE of the previous seasons and the familiarity with the characters, setting and plot.

The marketing of Higurashi Gou was so badly mishandled it actually makes me kinda mad knowing that it could potentially ruin the Higurashi experience for so many newcomers. I have no idea what Ryukishi07 was thinking. Gou should have just been marketed as a continuation from the start...
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 27, 2021 8:27 PM

Sep 2020
turning my brain on and watching fate unironically starts with zero,And forget to watching kizumonogatari after bakemonogatari
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 27 minutes ago

5 by machy871 »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Apr 25

17 by SPTLayzner »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

28 by deg »»
17 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 3 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 10 hours ago

102 by LostSpectre »»
18 minutes ago

» Crunchyroll lawsuit ( 1 2 )

billybub - Oct 10, 2023

52 by KittenCuddler »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.