Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2008 11:43 AM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So this is the first ep to try out Gonzo's new platform of releasing subs alongside the Japanese broadcasting.

YouTube
Crunchyroll
Bost

I'm too lazy to sing up for Bost so I can't say anything about that quality but I can comment on the other's free broadcast looks.

Here's an example from Crunchyroll.

OH GOD!!! MY EYES!!! How can people watch through that much of a pixilated lens?

Side by side of YouTube and Crunchyroll.

The winner is clear, please don't use Crunchyroll, don't support that kind of horrid quality.

As far as the subs go, they're pretty good, I didn't spot any massive engrish mistakes. You can tell though that it wasn't done by a native english speaker because there's some confusion over singular and plural stuff that's not made perfectly clear. There's some cases of phrases that seem to stumble, where the flow isn't correct and it takes you a bit to figure it out.

For the actual show, I hated it, didn't laugh a single bit. I'm not normally a fan of comedy anime, I find all the laughs forced, retarded, or with horrible timing, and I especially can't stand parody animes so this first ep wasn't the greatest of combinations for me. I came in expecting a fantasy romp in the style of a Record of Lodoss War, Heroic Legend of Arslan, or Windaria and this was totally out of nowhere. Here's to hoping that that bit at the end hints that this was a one off and it gets more serious and if it doesn't it's another in the 'dropped' bucket.
TheWestExitApr 4, 2008 12:24 PM

Sam is my sweet peach
Apr 4, 2008 11:46 AM

Sep 2007
OMG LAWL HILARIOUS!

Jil punched out Neeba and abandoned him! ROFL
They all wanted to get married! ROFL
Roper appeared! ROFL
They playing an MMORPG! ROFL

Seriously though, I laughed a lot. Good stuff

What I'm confused about is if they are playing an MMORPG or the fantasy world is actually real.

8/10 for first episode
HappyApr 4, 2008 11:56 AM
Apr 4, 2008 11:51 AM

Sep 2007
I haven't touched it yet because I'm not sure if the subs are worth it. Anyone know?
Apr 4, 2008 11:53 AM

Dec 2007
Well for a first episode it definitely fulfilled its purpose. I now want to watch more. That COMPLETELY exceeded all my expectations.
It doesn't look like the actual plot though will have that much comedy though.

OP was definitely different. People are bound to get the wrong idea of this anime if they base it off the OP.

Other then that.. I'm looking forward to this. though my bar is set high for the next episode
Apr 4, 2008 12:01 PM

Sep 2007
God the series better not have retarded comedy such as this.
Apr 4, 2008 12:05 PM

Sep 2007
Holy cow, that first picture. I don't even know what it's supposed to be D: *waits for real subs*
Apr 4, 2008 12:11 PM

Mar 2007
Just watched it on youtube, didn't notice any translation mistakes and it was HILARIOUS (though the parody felt a bit forced at times). Now I'm just hoping that the serious plot doesn't turn out being disappointing.
Apr 4, 2008 12:11 PM

Sep 2007
The subs are fine except for the horrible quality.
Apr 4, 2008 12:14 PM

Aug 2007
Yeah, i hate Crunchyroll, i don't even watch anime there anymore. A low quality site that demands for donations.

Wasabi said:
God the series better not have retarded comedy such as this.

What a waste of an episode. It was all a retarded dream. I knew i shouldn't have added this to my list. Like Wasabi said, retarded comedy.
Apr 4, 2008 12:15 PM

Nov 2007
Iriya said:
Holy cow, that first picture. I don't even know what it's supposed to be D: *waits for real subs*

The subtitles were actually very good. No grammar mistakes, names were consistent, and really nothing sounded awkward. But like TWE said, watch it on Youtube. The quality was very good for a stream.

As for the show itself...not what I was expecting. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though because my expectations were low. It seems like it is gonna be one of those RPG parody things, but maybe the rest of the series won't be as extreme as this episode since it was all a

Apr 4, 2008 12:16 PM

Jul 2007
In the end, this episode got a few chuckles out of me. (About as many as the first episode of haruhi, mind you, which I do not regard as a very good comedy) I guess we'll see where it goes from here...
I didn't mind the
myself, though :p

It's legal, and I don't really mind the quality on the youtube release. (Crunchyroll just failed, though). I didn't notice any problems with the subs, not that I usually pay much attention to them.

Very glad that this seems to be working out, a good go for a trial run of sorts.

All I have to say:
Good Job.
Apr 4, 2008 12:20 PM

Jan 2008
At least you got to view it, low quality and all. o.o

I can't watch the episode on CR because I'm not in the country region. >_>
Apr 4, 2008 12:33 PM

Oct 2007
Well, that was... weird. I have no idea what to think about this show until I watch more episodes, I have to know if they'll continue with the weird comedy or if it'll become more serious. The serious parts seemed a little too "video game"-y to me, but I can't really base a lot on that episode. And yeah, the OP seems totally unrelated.

I downloaded the PSP-version from Bost, as my Flash Player won't full screen. Quality was decent for a free episode, I think.

The subs were decent as well. A few mistakes, but many fansubs have more. What annoyed me was how they put translation notes at their web site instead of having them in the episode.
Apr 4, 2008 12:36 PM

Sep 2007
Having no expectations is good, since I came with out any real knowledge of what the show would be about. That being said, I found the first episode hilarious. :D

Drastic My Anime Blog - My anime blog. :3
Apr 4, 2008 12:40 PM

Feb 2008
This first was hilarious! Loved it! The tentacle scene was pure win xD
Can't wait for the next episode (probably won't have as much humor, though).
The subs seem to be pretty good, but my Japanese is quite limited, so I'm not sure if they actually did a good job =P
Apr 4, 2008 12:46 PM

Jan 2007
The first ep was really funny but I hope the rest of the series is more serious. And from the look of the next episode it probably is. I didn't notice any mistakes with the subs so they're fine with me.
Apr 4, 2008 12:49 PM

Oct 2007
first ep was so hilarious!
gonna watch this till the end

Kono bangumi wa, gouran no suponsa no teikyo de okurishimasu.
Apr 4, 2008 12:51 PM

Nov 2007
I guess I was death of laughing, well the end made me continue this anime and the subs where ok I guess
Apr 4, 2008 1:03 PM

Oct 2007
Is there anywhere to download it? I don't like streamed videos, and I already checked all of the popular torrent sites like tokyotoshokan and isohunt, as well as popular DDL sites.

Apr 4, 2008 2:43 PM

Sep 2007
So hmm, not what I was expecting either but I got a few lol's here and there, like the tentacle scene.
Apr 4, 2008 3:47 PM
Nov 2007
First episode was totally unexpected. Quite funny :)
Apr 4, 2008 3:50 PM

Dec 2007
...well, the subs were quality, at least as much as most fansub groups. There was really nothing to complain about, as far as I could tell with my 4th-5th grade level Japanese skills (naturally, I may have missed something). I now am certain that this method has the potential be used as a practical solution.

The show itself, however, was mediocre at best. It was actually better that it was a comedy, being serious never seems to work for video game based anime (visual novels aside), but besides a few cheap laughs, it really just wasn't very good. I'll keep with it for the next couple episodes just to see if it becomes decent, but I'm doubtful at this point.
世界は美しくなんかない。 そしてそれ故に、美しい
Apr 4, 2008 3:51 PM
Jun 2007
I didn't like the humor of this episode (or maybe because I watch too much ZSZS that I don't appreciate this type of humor anymore?). but like some people before said, the tentacle scene was rather amusing.

Apr 4, 2008 3:58 PM

Nov 2007
I thought it was kind of boring... :/ I don't really like most comedy series...

but lol @ the tentacle scene.
Apr 4, 2008 4:34 PM

Dec 2007
I won't be continuing this series.
Apr 4, 2008 4:39 PM

Apr 2007
I thought it was pretty funny as well, and not at all what I was expecting. I won't watch it as it comes out, but I was curious of the quality of the video and subs. I watched it on BOST and it was better quality than I was expecting. I only saw shots of the youtube and crunchy ones, so here are some BOST screen shots. These are taken at a 1600x1050 resolution. First one is regular viewing, second is full screen.

Apr 4, 2008 4:41 PM

Jul 2007
Not a bad first episode, but it felt much more like a generic series trying to be a parody than an actual, competent parody. I'll be sticking with this for now, but I don't have very high hopes. I wonder if the rest will also be comedic?

And I think the tentacle scene was one of my least favorite parts. :/

oh, these little earthquakes
Apr 4, 2008 4:44 PM

Jun 2007
HAHA! Here I was expecting so generic shit and what do they give me? Epic pun of generic shit! I loved it.
Apr 4, 2008 4:48 PM
Nov 2007
So, Reverse should probably be split off to its own series, shouldn't it?
Apr 4, 2008 5:00 PM

May 2007
Haha, I couldn't stop laughing at how hilarious it was and how it was such an amazing parody/pun on the generic type of storyline. I thought it was pretty much an RPG game from the perspective and at the end, we'd be back in the real world or something.

Anyway, interesting way to start things off. I'm curious to see how the show continues further down the road.
Apr 4, 2008 5:51 PM

Dec 2007
funny xDD
Apr 4, 2008 5:57 PM

Aug 2007
I thought it was just ok, i was glad at how it ended since i didn't find it to be that funny. Anyone saying that they're going to drop the series after the first episode must be either very ignorant, very pessimistic, or very stupid. The second episode will likely almost seem like a completely different anime.
Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM

Jan 2008
Nothing of what I expected at all! but I still enjoyed it. I did laugh every now and then.
Apr 4, 2008 6:23 PM

Oct 2007
I found the episode not bad. Quite amusing in a way, especially when I was expecting something far worse than this.

What really did interest was the reverse episode. It is probably a good indicator on what the series is actually like, while the episode shown with subs is something like a joke.

The other main characters were shown briefly too. Screencaps taken from niconico, in spoilers:

Oh, and sleep-talking/moving Jiru was fun to watch~
Apr 4, 2008 6:28 PM

Apr 2007
I laughed my ass off personally. This is the funniest anime I've seen in a while and I'm definitely gonna finish it.
Apr 4, 2008 6:38 PM

Oct 2007
Meh I guess I'll try it for one more episode.

Apr 4, 2008 6:42 PM

Jul 2007
Some parts I laughed pretty hard at, others I didn't laugh at all.

I'll give it a 7/10. I'm glad the whole series won't be like that, but, I guess I'll have to wait and see the next episode before I make a decision on the story.
Apr 4, 2008 7:35 PM
May 2007
Great episode, can't wait to drop it! A Ragnarok story with the stupidity of TTGL's stupidity.

3/10

That is unless of course the second and third episodes are completely different.
Apr 4, 2008 8:32 PM

Feb 2008
yeah agree that the quality in crunchyroll was horrible. rewatched it in youtube and it was so much better....so happy that it is also streamed in youtube hahaa. personally, i thought it was not a bad start for an initial episode but towards the end, i was glad that all the slapstick comedy was a dream. actually, i prefer the anime to go into a more serious direction with some humour now and then. well, looking forward to a better next episode.

Apr 4, 2008 8:44 PM

Oct 2007
Well I just watched it, and it really was not one bit of what I was expecting. However, I think that was just this first episode, and now it's gonna take a path of more what we all were probably expecting.

It was pretty funny, but not to the point that it was hilarious. Just enjoyable humor I guess for a couple giggles and chuckles. I'm not gonna drop it, but I would like to see it improve, definitely.

Apr 4, 2008 8:48 PM

Jun 2007
Druaga's first episode was definitely the unexpected jewel for me. Add to this that this is one of the first attempts at simultaenous streamig with subtitles for a series, and I'll definitely be keeping up with it.

Personally, I hope the series maintains the comedy. I don't get why anyone would want it to become another generic video game tie-in anime. There are plenty of those mediocre offerings out there enough as it is. So, I say nay to the super serious stuff and give me cracktastic cheese! :D

This isn't to say I would be against any drama, but keep the lulz, please.
fool_on_the_hillApr 4, 2008 8:52 PM
Apr 4, 2008 8:50 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Well, I wasn't thrilled with the anime itself - it's not the genre I usually prefer.

But I have to applaud Gonzo. The subs were better than I've seen some fansubbers, the quality also decent (for being free straight from the company itself!) aside from crunchyroll. (Thanks WestExit, if I didn't see your post, I would have watched it at CR).

I looked at the "donations" on CR and some guy donated $50, other people $20 and $10. There are people who support the idea (whether it's the anime or not) and are trying to give Gonzo good feedback. Imagine how the industry could go...

I hope no fansub group picks this up, though. That'd just defeat the whole purpose >:| .... anyway, my two cents ^^
Apr 4, 2008 8:52 PM

Nov 2007
Crunchyroll's quality was intolerable. *-*

Anyway, about the actual anime. Wow, I was impressed. lol'd so much at the tentacle scene and the gurren lagann reference. Definitely the type of first episode that makes me want to watch more.
Apr 4, 2008 9:11 PM

Feb 2007
Thought it was pretty funny....

watched it on youtube.. first ep of anime ever watched on youtube. sucked a lot.
Apr 4, 2008 9:35 PM

Oct 2007
Wow...that was unexpected.

I really didn't have high expectations in the first place, and I ended up laughing quite a few times. It certainly did make me want to at least watch the next episode or two...just to see where it all goes.
Apr 4, 2008 9:40 PM

Jul 2007
fool_on_the_hill said:
Druaga's first episode was definitely the unexpected jewel for me. Add to this that this is one of the first attempts at simultaenous streamig with subtitles for a series, and I'll definitely be keeping up with it.

Personally, I hope the series maintains the comedy. I don't get why anyone would want it to become another generic video game tie-in anime. There are plenty of those mediocre offerings out there enough as it is. So, I say nay to the super serious stuff and give me cracktastic cheese! :D

This isn't to say I would be against any drama, but keep the lulz, please.

I agree with this post.

Apr 4, 2008 9:43 PM

Jun 2007
Definitely a surprise hit here.

I really want to see subs of the Ura version of the episode, though. I just got finished with the Japanese raw, but there were definitely some jokes (including one scene with Utu telling a story) that I couldn't completely decipher.

Don't sub only one version of the show when there are two episodes, Gonzo!

Also, I have no idea how to count this Ura episode on here...
MetatronMApr 4, 2008 10:04 PM
Apr 4, 2008 10:36 PM
Jun 2007
Funny thing about this episode is that they made fun of clicheness in the fantasy/hero kind of shows and stories. It just made me laugh so hard. Overall, this episode was pretty good. I look forward seeing the rest.
Apr 4, 2008 11:03 PM

Sep 2007
Woah, definitely glad I decided to watch. The force is strong with this one, so to speak.

ROFL'd hard, several times. Roper, marriage, leaving Neeba behind... hope the quality of this series remains high.
Apr 4, 2008 11:19 PM

Apr 2007
Wasn't really expecting what I got out of this anime, but I still really enjoyed it. Some of the comedy got a little too played out towards the end but I still really liked it, here's hoping some of the comedy stays for the series :)
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Windspirit - Jun 20, 2008

118 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 31, 2023 5:34 AM

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 9 Discussion

RAVENKam - May 30, 2008

35 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 31, 2023 3:58 AM

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 11 Discussion

Bunji - Jun 13, 2008

39 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 13, 2022 2:20 AM

» I Just want to know about something the happened at the anime.

AyanDrako - Oct 4, 2020

1 by mottowers »»
Jan 18, 2021 5:40 PM

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 7 Discussion

Queen - May 16, 2008

28 by KR_P »»
May 8, 2020 12:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.