Forum Settings
Forums

people with a mother tongue other than english, do you watch english dubs?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 6, 2020 1:11 PM

Apr 2017
French is my first language, and no.
I did at first but after watching sub I realized the meaning of certain words and phrases were changed completely, also I find the voices of dub VA's to be rather offputting so I switched to exclusively watching sub or raw.

Dec 6, 2020 1:58 PM

Feb 2015
I have to, because subtitles in my first language don't happen, and even if they did, I'd still go English because it's the easiest to find anime subs for on the internet. Not that I mind, it was good motivation to learn English when I was a teenager.
Dec 6, 2020 3:04 PM

Feb 2016
i prefer watching things according to their original settings, so generally it's subbed for me. subbed is often more reliable than dubbed in quality, anyway. but my subs are in english, since that's what i'm used to nowadays.

however, there are some notable dubs out there, like baccano, etc. in baccano's case, and other shows based in a western/european setting, i prefer a (good) dub. then, it feels a lot more natural--i personally feel hearing english in a japanese setting is quite jarring.

i like soup

Dec 6, 2020 5:17 PM

Jun 2020
I'm brazilian but i like watching some english dub clips once in a while, like the index english dub for example. Dubs can be really good, but they usually doesn't beat the original voices. There ARE notable exceptions, though
Dec 6, 2020 5:23 PM

Apr 2015
Yes I do watch English dubs and whenever possible I also watch the Finnish dubs.
Dec 6, 2020 5:42 PM

Jun 2016
At this point it's easier to understand spoken japanese than english for me.
Dec 6, 2020 6:13 PM

Aug 2019
Indonesian speaker here; dubs sound offputting even to people here who barely speak English. I remember watching Tokyo Ghoul with my dad and he said Kaneki sounded like he had a nasal infection; we switched to sub and he immediately got comfortable with it.
Dec 6, 2020 6:23 PM

Nov 2016
I usually watch them in Spanish subs but sometimes I like to watch some in English, more than "like to watch" is just because the Spanish version wasn't upload yet, but I still enjoy the same in english or spanish
Dec 6, 2020 8:26 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
As much as Japanese. It depends on what I'm in the mood for and if it fits the atmosphere honestly lol

If an English dub has "funny" voices, then I'm more pressed to watch the Japanese audio, whether it be subbed or raw. To me, it will never boil down to dialogue alone, but rather the acting themselves (because if that was my argument I'd rather not use English subs at all, I'd rather listen to the original audio and have at least somewhat of an understanding of the native language). Personally, I find it hard to find the right "acting atmosphere" for an anime English dub, compared to real English-speaking actors in a real setting. I almost want to say the same thing about Japanese dubs of western cartoons, every now and then I find it jarring and it has less to do with what I speak (because I do understand Japanese to an extent) and more about finding that right infliction and atmosphere.

I accept and respect the idea of not watching dubs because you don't like it, and whatever reason you may have. I, however, have no respect for those who lambast others on the basis of that.
ChartTopper60Dec 6, 2020 8:33 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2020 8:34 PM

May 2018
English is my third language. But I never watch english dub since I’m also learning Japanese.
Dec 6, 2020 9:32 PM

Oct 2017
No, I don't because many of them don't sound good and I can't find English dubs which also have subs. I need subs in everything because I face problems understanding English with different accents.
Dec 6, 2020 9:42 PM
Jan 2019
My mother tongue is English and I don't watch English dubs.
Dec 6, 2020 10:04 PM

Jan 2008
I am Romanian.
The first anime I ever watched was dubbed in Romanian.
Then, I would watch anime that was on Italian and German TV, thus dubbed in Italian and German.
I did not have access to any English dubbed anime as I was growing up.
When I got high speed internet, I would watch whatever I could find, and some were English dubbed.
As I got older, I learned where to find subtitled anime. I have been watching subtitles anime exclusively ever since.

I despise English dubs, but Italian dubs are generally very good (or at least they used to be). German dubs are average and Romanian dubs are terrible.

Subs only.
Dec 6, 2020 10:07 PM
Apr 2019
is-whoelsome said:
exactly what the title says. also, if available do you watch anime dubed to your own language?

I don't or haven't so far, I have only watched a few Latin american spanish dubs, but like watching an EN would feel weird like its on the original language nor in mine, plus I personally don't know of many good EN dubs
Dec 7, 2020 1:32 AM
May 2020
My mother tongue is German. I prefer German dub or sub, but if not available I also watch English sub. English dub just hurts my ears. It just... doesn't`t sound good at all. I would never watch English dub lol
Dec 7, 2020 6:52 AM
Feb 2020
im from poland and no, i prefer japanese dub
Dec 7, 2020 10:37 AM

May 2017
If I'm not gonna watch in my native language than I'll watch in japanese.

Dec 7, 2020 10:44 AM
Apr 2013
Back as a child when I didn't speak english I only watched the anime on TV in our dub (german), but I switched when Naruto started at the beginning again in germany, after we got 40 episodes in. I found the english dub back then, but it was only like 20 episodes ahead. After that I switched to japanese dub, and never changed back. My flowchart would be something like this:

Japanese dub (eng sub)>Japanese dub (no sub)>not watching anime>english dub>killing myself>cutting my liver out without medication while awake and without dying>Everything else that sounds horrible to you>german dub

And yes, german dub is THAT bad. The only shows that were good in german are Digimon and Conan, Dragon Ball had a complete new characterisaton for Goku, which made him really mature and cool, but after seeing the original makes no sense.
Dec 7, 2020 10:50 AM

Apr 2020
yes because tagalog dubs are practically non-existent in the internet and probably shit
Dec 7, 2020 10:56 AM

Aug 2017
I'm watching FMAB in english dub and its kinda good. Fortunately, I feel quite comfortable. I don't miss the Spanish dub since I dislike my native language more than ever.
NurguburuDec 7, 2020 11:10 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 7, 2020 11:36 AM

Mar 2020
I watch dub but I'm thinking to start watching sub idk why it just seems right.
Dec 7, 2020 6:17 PM
Dec 7, 2020 6:29 PM

Jun 2020
No, I dont watch with dubs doesn't matter if its English or German.
Dec 7, 2020 6:29 PM

Feb 2016
that's a question only a dumb american fucker could think of
Dec 7, 2020 7:01 PM

Feb 2019
No. Unless I'm going to a movie and they only offer English Dub, which does happen.
Dec 7, 2020 7:12 PM

Feb 2020
Spanish and Brazilian dubs make me laugh.
French dubs are cool but only because French is the most beautiful language in the world.
American dubs, well, I got traumatized with those back in the 90's, I won't try them again. Most male chars sounded like wrestlers and most female chars sounded like bar hookers.
I don't really recall any other English language dub, maybe the Brits are ok?

So, yeah, I'll keep watching anime in Japanese and reading the subs in English.
Dec 7, 2020 8:14 PM

Sep 2018
Not really, I prefer subs. Maybe for 1 or 3 animes I think the english voice fits well.
Dec 7, 2020 8:21 PM

Jun 2020
I used to watch dubs. Then I after a few anime I switched to sub. Like every other person out there.
Dec 7, 2020 8:29 PM

Apr 2016
I don't watch english dubs at all, i find the voices out of place or simply doesn't sound natural at all. I rather prefer listen in spanish dubs because i feel they do a better job. Nevertheless, i don't watch dubs, always subs.
Dec 7, 2020 8:47 PM

Jun 2020
Sometimes I find an anime scene in English dub and that's okay for me but I never watch one full episode without Japanese audio so I prefer reading the subs.
Dec 7, 2020 8:52 PM

Mar 2018
Of course!!! What is Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Baccano, Space Dandy...etc...without english dubs?

Just listen to this:

DmonHiro said:

I despise English dubs, but Italian dubs are generally very good (or at least they used to be). German dubs are average and Romanian dubs are terrible.

Subs only.

Urmareste scena pe care am pus-o mai sus!!

DoruCatanaDec 7, 2020 9:01 PM
Dec 7, 2020 9:27 PM

Sep 2017
I saw some episodes of Naruto with English dub.Was weird at first but goy used to it
خ
Dec 8, 2020 2:40 AM
Dec 8, 2020 2:40 AM

Aug 2016
I'm Norwegian and we really don't air any Anime in my country. The only anime's I've watched Norwegian dubbed is Pokémon and Digimon

Dec 8, 2020 4:52 AM

Nov 2018
I often watch anime with german dubs, most of the time they are completely fine.
English dubs on the other hand not so much, I only watch them when I'm not interested in the anime and just watch it on the side. They suck and the only dub I ever enjoyed, as it had fitting voices, was Cowboy Bebop. All the voices feel so stereotypical and rarely ever sound special.
So if available 8/10 times I will watch german dubs > english subs > german subs > english dub > anything french, not bad at all, I just don't like the language
Dec 8, 2020 8:23 AM

Jan 2020
Yeah I do, I love dubs as well as subs

But I've been raised with people speaking english all around me, so except with my fam and relatives and stuff (with whom I also mostly speak english) I usually speak english only It's basically my first language, but not my mother tongue
You jump to the right and you shake that hand

You jump to the left and you shake that hand

Meet new friends

Tie that yarn

And that's how you do the Scarn

Woo
Dec 8, 2020 8:30 AM

Apr 2020
I don't even watch anime on my native tongue anymore, dub sucks. Why should I watch english dub?
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Dec 8, 2020 8:55 AM

Feb 2015
I'm Swedish.

And no, I don't watch English dubs, the exception is Dragonball, mainly because I can't stand Goku's Japanese voice, it sounds horrible.

I guess old cartoons from the 90's like Pokémon, Sailor Moon & Digimon works fine in that regard as well...
Ruler632Dec 8, 2020 8:58 AM

Dec 8, 2020 9:03 AM

Sep 2019
I don't think there are any anime dubbed in my native tongue, maybe except for Pokemon, Digimon and the like.

I watch English dubs for shows where I think it sounds good. Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop, Baccano! are a few that immediately come to mind.

Otherwise I watch subs, I'm used to it anyway. Most movies that come out in theatres are subbed not dubbed, and it sometimes grinds my ears, the way English voice actors struggle with Japanese names.
Dec 8, 2020 9:03 AM
Feb 2020
my first language is mandarin, and no, i don't watch dub, not in English, not in Chinese, only Japanese and English sub
Dec 8, 2020 9:33 AM

May 2014
I always go for Japanese with english subs. I'm fluent in english, but I've never liked english dubs. Japanese sounds way better.

DmonHiro said:
I am Romanian.
The first anime I ever watched was dubbed in Romanian.

Same here. If I remember correctly, Shaman King and Naruto were the only anime with romanian dubs. They were pretty popular, and a gateway to anime for a lot of us.
Dec 8, 2020 9:55 AM

Mar 2020
Usually no, but I made an exception for Cowboy Bebop since I heard a lot of things about it
Dec 8, 2020 9:59 AM

Oct 2020
Not anymore, but i used to.
During the time when i watch anime only through Animax channel, some of them were english dubbed. Hence i watch it EN dubbed.

And for anime dubbed in my language, i also used to watch it. In the past, there was a lot of anime dubbed to my language and was aired on the local television channels. Now there isn't much anime aired anymore, and i also prefer to watch anime through my phone.
A certain person lurking here
Dec 8, 2020 10:04 AM

Jul 2019
I'm fluent in english but I dont prefer english dubs. Though I watched the whole Naruto (part 1) dubbed in my native language when it aired on TV, and some other mainstream anime
Dec 8, 2020 10:06 AM

Apr 2020
No, my first language is Spanish, and i hate the idea of not knowin how the japanese version is. I haaate english dubs or spanish dubs, not because they are bad, but they sound so boring. The only anime I prefer in spanish is A Silent Voice
Dec 8, 2020 10:06 AM

Apr 2020
No, my first language is Spanish, and i hate the idea of not knowin how the japanese version is. I haaate english dubs or spanish dubs, not because they are bad, but they sound so boring. The only anime I prefer in spanish is A Silent Voice
Dec 8, 2020 10:13 AM

Nov 2016
Never because japanese voice actors/actresses putting big feelings into speaking like if they were living in that situations of plot. In english dubs it feels like if they were sitting on chair and having a tea time. So I watch only original japanese with my language subs (not english).
Dec 8, 2020 10:18 AM

Aug 2015
Spanish speaker here. Never got into english dubs for anime, but for some weird reason I seem to prefer having eng dubs on RPG´s rather than the japanese ones. I really can´t explain why.
Dec 8, 2020 2:57 PM

Jul 2017
My mother tongue is Indonesia but I prefer to use English in both sub and dub forms. But I use subs most since I love Japanese-accents and I read mangas more so I'm used to read lines.
Dec 8, 2020 3:53 PM

Oct 2012
Chinese was my first language, but since entering the school system at like age 5, English became my main language. I think it's really the symmetrical question if you ask me whether I would watch anime in a Chinese dub, the answer would be no. It sounds equally weird to me as an English dub. And that's because the Japanese body language, their gestures, etc., obviously don't match up to the American or Chinese gestures. And also, the animation mouth movements are matched up to the original language dub, whereas translations have to confine the script to match with the mouth movements, so it's inherently awkward. The Japanese voice actors have the lateral freedom to say whatever they want, and the animators would make it work. Translated dubs could not.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

54 by L1feHasNoMeaning »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

58 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
4 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

12 by ISeeLifePeople »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

87 by Punkero »»
4 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

984 by subahokke »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.