Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 27, 2020 4:59 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, Popp might not be very strong but he's got balls to fight a lizard monster like that. Tough watching him struggle so much though.

Good thing there's Dai kicking some ass again cause that was satisfying to watch.
Nov 27, 2020 6:29 PM

Sep 2018
Well "Dragon Quest: Popp no Daibouken Episode 1" is good. GREAT pacing as usual
It's himmmm aaaahhhhhh

Nov 27, 2020 6:43 PM
Oct 2016
Pure hype this whole episode! I loved that so much! Popp came through clutch! Truly a spectacle of old school shonen badassery. Popp seeing how destitute that old mage had become after he started abandoning his friends and not wanting to become like that. Summoning that shard of courage to rush towards danger helping Dai and Maam. Amazing stuff once Popp got there to help. He definitely lived up to Avan teachings of helping others with their training. Going at Crocodine without any real physical strength but with immense courage. Lining up that magic circle to release Brass so Dai could go all out. It took a lot of guts to pull off. Popp really stepped up this episode. Dai at the end landing the finishing blow! Awesome! Now next episode we get to meet the bad boy himself who've been anxious to see in this remake
Nov 27, 2020 6:58 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was very good. Popp finally getting the courage to fight after given encouragement from a crooked mage. Even so that small amount of courage is more than enough to turn the tide around. Managing to save Brass, then Gome-chan having to heal Dai or wake him up. Then Dai activates his power once again and manages to beat Crocodine, and then the Kingdom is saved. Preview of next episode looks fun, not to mention better equipped and possibly a new ally. Dang this is going to be good.
Nov 27, 2020 7:29 PM

Jun 2015
This pace was so good. They fit in all the scenes I was waiting for. Crocodine best "evil" commander. Real goosebumps seeing that scene again (slightly modified).
The next episode... that one already, huh?
Nov 27, 2020 7:37 PM

Dec 2016
It's been ages since I saw the old 90s adaptation and had totally forgot Popp was able to replicate Avan's Mahoukaton. His distracting tactics worked pretty well, brains over brawn.

Even though there are some big pauses and hesitation on behalf of Crocodine, I find this kind of classic shonen fight way more engaging than something based on pure aesthetics like Jujutsu Kaisen. That cut sequence of Popp tossing the blade towards Dai was amazingly well animated and it truly gave me the chills very few action shows give me.

Can't wait for next episode (although, it's a shame Maam gets a new uniform that I always thought it looked worse than her beautiful orange gunslinger attire)
Nov 27, 2020 7:41 PM

Sep 2018
The blood censored is too annoying. TV Tokyo and Toei should change time slot broadcast, kids do not watch this kind of CLASSIC shounen nowaday! This show is childhood of the 80-90's generation so please don't treat it like a show for kids bruh! Change broadcast schedule so they don't have to censor anything... The upcoming fights are even much more bloody, censorship will definitely ruin them!!!

Where's blood lmao???

Let's compare with manga

Mod Edit: Removed multiple screenshots
KuniiNov 27, 2020 11:18 PM
Nov 27, 2020 8:07 PM

Jul 2016
Silverstorm92 said:
The blood censored is too annoying. TV Tokyo and Toei should change time slot broadcast, kids do not watch this kind of CLASSIC shounen nowaday! This show is childhood of the 80-90's generation so please don't treat it like a show for kids bruh! Change broadcast schedule so they don't have to censor anything... The upcoming fights are even much more bloody, censorship will definitely ruin them!!!

Where's blood lmao???

Let's compare with manga

Also let's compare with the 1991 anime version xD

https://youtu.be/JYK6fnvmscM?t=1742

Well, I also dislike the censorship in this version,I would prefer that they don't put that horrible black blood in crocodine and so not put anything of blood.

Also I leave a subbed version, but with the parts with blood cutted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7xM4hhBvw

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
KuniiNov 27, 2020 11:19 PM
Nov 27, 2020 8:12 PM

Sep 2018
GoshujinsamaHID said:

Well, I also dislike the censorship in this version,I would prefer that they don't put that horrible black blood in crocodine and so not put anything of blood.

Also I leave a subbed version, but with the parts with blood cutted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7xM4hhBvw

Yeah I LOVEEE this remake but the censorship is too disgusting!!!
Nov 27, 2020 8:17 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow at the beginning it was really nice to see some development for Popp and to see his determination against Crocodine but wow the most interesting moment was definitely Dai's fight, he seems absolutely op when he's angry like that
Nov 27, 2020 8:28 PM

Dec 2014
Hah, I love how Crocodine is such a classic and anime tropey villain. He stops the moment someone tells him to stop, always gets interrupted just as he's about to deliver the finishing blow. Heck, he even stops himself just because someone yelled something. He also has so many "Nani!?" moments, it's great. It's been a while since I saw something like this and I do enjoy it for what it is even if it feels a little stupid at times. I guess it's stuff like this that really makes this have an old school type of vibe. xD

Good episode on the whole, Popp came through big time and the OST was top notch.
Nov 27, 2020 8:59 PM

Mar 2016
Cheesy come, cheesy go. Such as the name of the game with campy kid-oriented shows like this. The blood censorship and drama is fucking hilarious, too xD
Nov 27, 2020 9:20 PM

Oct 2017
Yo that was a lot of hype. Popp redeemed himself quite a lot thou ofc I didn't come to like him with just this but I guess I dun dislike him either now.

So Gomechan has healing powers huh, might be one of the powers it posses or maybe heal is the only power it has but the heal is something stronger like revive. Guess we'll find out later.
Nov 27, 2020 10:04 PM

May 2013
That was an incredible episode.

Popp actually did something and I am glad. Hopefully he will be less annoying going forward, lol.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Nov 27, 2020 10:31 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Now, thats what i called an epic comeback! Finally Popp stopped goofing around and did his best magic spell to be more useful. Its not just that, he even openned up Crocodine one eyes about his foolish-wrong ideology about the victory. But, he was too late. Dai was just too angry with the whole situations, and forced him to gave Crocodine a nice perfect slice on his stomach to finish him off entirely. The end.

But, seriously, those old mage, from a fake hero group, surprised me a lot. I never expected him to gave such a nice speech for Popp and made him realized the real deal as a hero. At once, he did a good thing. God bless your man kindness and shines your previous wrong path!

Okay, time to continuing their journey again, then!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 27, 2020 10:57 PM

Sep 2020
And the VIP of this ep is...

Next ep is gon b gud

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Nov 27, 2020 11:17 PM

Sep 2019
Popp had a great character developement, he risked his life to help Dai and it worked. The fight between Dai and Crocodine was really good.
Nov 28, 2020 12:18 AM

Jan 2009
oh Popp overcome his coward self and triggered some courage eh

that Dai dragon crest or mark shows up again to finish the enemy

and another student of Avan next episode

Nov 28, 2020 2:48 AM
Jul 2019
Silverstorm92 said:

Where's blood lmao???

Let's compare with manga

Mod Edit: Removed multiple screenshots

it is good better than nothing
for me i can imagine the blood even if it does not exist
What is important is that there is no fundamental change in the fighting
Nov 28, 2020 2:51 AM

Feb 2012
In the end Popp is a coward because he is the most smart/careful and rational of the group. that's a good quality for a Mage because he is the one who must support the team.

There is a scene I don't remember from the manga though that foreshadows something that will happen waaaaaaaaaaaaay later in the manga.

About censorship, personaly I have no complain.
If I would prefer the show to be like the manga ? Yes.
But Im long gone past the point of fighting for anime to be 100% like the manga about violence. Manga and Anime are 2 different medias, made for different viewers and distributed in different ways, so there HAS to be some changes on that point when you switch from one to the other.
We're in 2020, the world is like that and there is nothing we can do to change it.
And in the end Crocodine is a Lizardman, it's not like impossible to imagine that race to have a different blood color.
As for the quantity displayed, it has no relevance really.

The only moment in the show it will really matter is when
OmniKaiserNov 28, 2020 2:56 AM
Nov 28, 2020 3:13 AM
Jul 2019
BTW Censorship is not due to the timing of the show this matter happened with HXH 2011 The first 30 episodes was censorship everyone thought the timing of the show was the reason, but it wasn't Because the violence has increased later and the timing has not changed
Nov 28, 2020 3:52 AM

Jun 2011
Another fantastic episode.. Popp shined in this episode his development is one of the best in shounen.
From the moment he throw the sword to Dai, to Avan strash clash with Crocodine's blast, that whole scene was beautifully animated with the music.
Censorship wise, i think they doing decent.. i would take green or purple blood over the glow/black bars any day.
Nov 28, 2020 3:56 AM

Jun 2020
Zzzz Popp popped off
This anime shit is addictive
Nov 28, 2020 4:34 AM

Sep 2018
The blood colour is not a problem for me too :)) But in those scenes I posted above they "deleted" all blood bleeding which turned a bit nonsense lmao

Anyway I hope there will a break after first cour then they'll change broadcast time into the evening (jap time). That's the best way to avoid censorship and enjoy intense upcoming fights :))
Nov 28, 2020 5:43 AM
Jul 2019
Silverstorm92 said:
The blood colour is not a problem for me too :)) But in those scenes I posted above they "deleted" all blood bleeding which turned a bit nonsense lmao

Anyway I hope there will a break after first cour then they'll change broadcast time into the evening (jap time). That's the best way to avoid censorship and enjoy intense upcoming fights :))

i don,t see problem with this he hold him self because of the pain
+
Hhguf said:
BTW Censorship is not due to the timing of the show this matter happened with HXH 2011 The first 30 episodes was censorship everyone thought the timing of the show was the reason, but it wasn't Because the violence has increased later and the timing has not changed
HhgufNov 28, 2020 5:47 AM
Nov 28, 2020 6:06 AM

Sep 2018
Hhguf said:

Nah one second ago he bled a lot (post #7 image) then one second later the floor was still dry. That's nonsense lol

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
DeadlyRavenNov 28, 2020 6:11 PM
Nov 28, 2020 6:11 AM
Jul 2019
Silverstorm92 said:
Hhguf said:

Nah one second ago he bled a lot (post #7 image) then one second later the floor was still dry. That's nonsense lol

such errors like this happen in all anime
Nov 28, 2020 7:15 AM

Mar 2020
Oh wow, Popp did something other than running away, this calls for a celebration!

Well Popp was able to get the curse of Brass with a carefully thought out plan and all his magic power and because of this he brought Dai back into the picture.

Well, Dai was able to defeat Crocodine with Avan strash!

OK episode :)
Nov 28, 2020 7:41 AM

Aug 2013
Popp redeemed himself with his little amount of courage. He really saved the day.

I'm curious about Dai's real powers and I can't wait to find out about it.

Great episode.

Nov 28, 2020 8:17 AM

Feb 2019
7.19 on MAL? After that episode? Come off it. Clear 8 minimum. That final sequence was fucking insane bro. Still got Goosebumps several minutes after the episode ended. Crocodine wasn’t too bad a guy in the end. He was a person of honour and pride who lost sight of himself.

Glad Popp stopped the bs he was on from last episode too. Really disappointed me with his cowardice, but he realised it and was MVP today.
Nov 28, 2020 9:10 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Sometimes a single shard of courage is all you need to overcome your fear. How ironic that it took a pep talk from the mage from the fake hero party to inspire Popp to be more heroic. Popp saves the day by creating a magic circle around Brass and cast Glimmer to get rid of the evil influence that was controlling Brass. Just as Crocodine was about to strike Popp, Dai gets up and taps into his Dragon Knight powers. Dai blocks Crocodine's axe with his bare hands and throws Crocodine across the room. Popp tosses a sword at Dai before Crocodine charges his final attack. Dai uses Avan Strash and kills Crocodine in one strike.
Nov 28, 2020 9:26 AM

Mar 2010
FOr some reason I couldn't enjoy it. It felt like popp was given to much air time lolz.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 28, 2020 10:46 AM

Sep 2007
The arrival and heroism of Pop against KroKodine is really one of my favorite moments in the history of the shonen.
If it wasn't for agreeing to follow Zaboera's plan, I think Krokodin would have wiped out the team.
The final duel was very well done with a superb Avan Slash. Krokodin received the courage of the heroes before pulling his reverence.
Now head to the Papunika with a new general to face.
Nov 28, 2020 1:26 PM

Sep 2018
Marinate1016 said:
7.19 on MAL? After that episode? Come off it. Clear 8 minimum.
Long-running shounen + reboot of an old series = slept on by general MAL users. Shame on them, they don't know what they're missing out on lol.
Nov 28, 2020 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
great episode, I really liked the power of the dai.

Nov 28, 2020 6:14 PM

May 2009
Thread Cleaned

Removed a bunch of spam posts. Again, bots don't affect the score, but please report them if they post in threads.
Nov 28, 2020 6:55 PM

Sep 2018
Thanks Mods very much. Those bots were very annoying. Don't worry everyone, the score will definitely increase, these first eps are actually the weakest part. It is a 100+ eps shounen anime so don't care much about the score of some first eps lol. Above 7 is okay.
Nov 28, 2020 8:37 PM

Oct 2008
oh that was really impressive! full of emotions and great OST!
AVAN STRASH!!!
5/5!

Nov 28, 2020 8:47 PM
Dec 2015
GoshujinsamaHID said:

I have seen the originals in the past and I must say so far the old anime is the opposite of the new one in terms of pacing: the old seems pretty slow and it takes its time in general, basically not only keeping all the stuff from the manga (pretty much) but also expanding things a little to shows various frames and reactions, sometimes even dialogues (not necessarily referring to that video in particular).

Still I would say it's still not annoyingly slow (like it would be some dressrosa one piece episodes) and having more details is nice while staying pretty faithful to the manga.

I understand if applied to the new series it would be a bother for some users though, especially for the first episodes a faster pace to leave a better impression is probably a reasonable choice, given that the standard nowadays are a bit different. I must admit this episode was really good how it was done anyway
Hanzo__HattoriNov 28, 2020 8:52 PM
Nov 29, 2020 1:36 AM
Feb 2008
Anyway it was the best episode aired yet. Pop is a genius, he could throw those wand pieces perfectly even though he was being crushed by Crocodine XD
Next week is going to be interesting with new characters appearing.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
DeadlyRavenNov 29, 2020 7:14 AM
Nov 29, 2020 6:33 AM

May 2018
Ok ngl the way Crocodine 'escaped' when dying was so slick lol
Nov 29, 2020 9:08 AM
Sep 2008
So far disappointed .. would loved if the new adaptation was produced by another studio tbh
Nov 29, 2020 10:00 PM
Apr 2020
i hate TOEI for the censorship only
Dec 1, 2020 9:40 PM

Aug 2015
One__Piece said:
So far disappointed .. would loved if the new adaptation was produced by another studio tbh

The thing is that no other animation studio would have put so much budget in the animation. In fact, I don´t even know why Toei is doing it lmao. This series is getting better treatment than Dragon Ball, One Piece and Sailor Moon. If the censorship is an issue, I don´t know what to tell you, the games don´t even have blood so I wasn´t really expecting to see any Hellsing levels of gore.
Dec 2, 2020 7:19 PM
Nov 2019
One of my favorite episodes by far, everything was perfect and you guys know why ;)
Dec 4, 2020 8:44 AM

Feb 2017
So satisfying to see development for Popp. He really surprised me with his ability. I just hope he doesn't revert to his cowardly self again now, that would be dumb.

The whole confrontation with Crocodine was really hype. He was an admirable bastard. I feel this might not be the last we see of him.
Dec 12, 2020 1:19 PM
Oct 2012
This is literally the most beautifully consistent animation from Toei in years and no one cares, once again proof that DBS fanboys have stockholm syndrome
Dec 15, 2020 2:33 PM

Mar 2019
Might not be the classic and the lack of blood is annoying, but i'm starting to enjoy it more and more, got emotional at times, probably out of nostalgia.
Dec 16, 2020 7:46 AM

May 2015
Takuto_Shindou said:
This is literally the most beautifully consistent animation from Toei in years and no one cares, once again proof that DBS fanboys have stockholm syndrome
I think this has to do with SE being behind their back, for them not to give the Dragon Quest franchise a bad name. It's just speculation, but that would not be surprising.
Dec 21, 2020 6:26 PM

Apr 2008
Needless to say, POPP is VIP OF THE WEEK!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» NEW ANIME PROJECT CONFIRMED

SOSYBOI - Mar 11, 2023

12 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:53 AM

Poll: » Choose the best arc(s) in Dai no Daibouken!

DragonKnight92 - Oct 21, 2022

10 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

35 by Teirayo »»
Mar 30, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

132 by MonkeyDKyle »»
Mar 27, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2020

78 by mooncheesepizza »»
Mar 11, 6:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.