Forum Settings
Forums

list the Worst male protagonists (in your opinion)

New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 13, 2020 11:46 AM

Oct 2010
the main character from saekano, that guy is an idiot
Oct 13, 2020 11:48 AM

Jul 2020
I think Meliodas is pretty bad, but I still can't help but love Seven Deadly Sins ha

Oct 13, 2020 11:49 AM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Kazuya from Rent-A-Shitfriend. Everything about him just repulses me.

Also

Geordo Stuart from Hamefura. He's super, super annoying that words cannot describe how annoying he is.
Oct 13, 2020 11:52 AM

Mar 2020
Saekosannn said:
czarus111 said:
Eren Yager is the poorest written MC I've ever seen. I hate this guy with passion.
Also MC from Mirai Nikki is terrible character.

how is he a poor written character? just because he shouts a lot doesn't mean he's the worst.
do you know what's like to be betrayed?
eren literally watched his own mother get eaten by a titan, infact many close people he watched died.
he's been through so much, he has a goal

Eren is not a super terrible protagonist, he is just lazy writing, protagonist with just hatred as a motivation is bland, the problem is that just dying family members and close ones as a motivation is not that interesting for viewing if you don't stand in the shoes of that person, how can you understand his loss if you only saw deaths of those people, "I don't care if they die, I'm not that interested in them as a character in a show", but you just see Eren angry and from that we need to extract that it has an impact on him.
As a better example of good motivation from hatred and revenge is Thorfinn from Vinland Saga, most of the things that AOT does wrong in conveying Erens motivation is done right in Vinland Saga.
Oct 13, 2020 11:56 AM

Jan 2015
Most of the romcom/shounen protagonists we get in anime season after season.
Oct 13, 2020 12:02 PM

Jan 2018
czarus111 said:
CuteAssTiger said:

nobody is trying to have a war with you

people litteraly only asked you to ellaborate you standpoint

And I gave them an answer. What's the matter?

because that isnt an answer to the question

you said he is poorly writter

people ask why he is poorly written

and you said you just hate him

but those things arent connected

if i say "this banana is red "

and somebody asks me
"why do you think this banana is red ? it looks pretty yellow to me based on its color code "

and i say "i dont care about colour codes . i hate the banana"

then that doesnt explain why the banana is supposedly "red" when it isnt red and somebody made a good argument for why it is yellow
Oct 13, 2020 12:05 PM

Jan 2018
Attackonfiller said:
Some people mentioning Eren...

Can't be helped for now I guess. S1-S3 is basically the grand setup for his character. His change and developments will no doubt be just as rewarding as it was for manga readers.

to be fair i would argue that eren is a good character even then .

i can see how and why people would dislike him but he is a solid character and works very well in the story.

of course he gets much better when aot stops being just a good action horror and starts being deep but that doesnt make him bad in any way
Oct 13, 2020 12:06 PM

Jun 2019
CuteAssTiger said:
czarus111 said:

And I gave them an answer. What's the matter?

because that isnt an answer to the question

you said he is poorly writter

people ask why he is poorly written

and you said you just hate him

but those things arent connected

if i say "this banana is red "

and somebody asks me
"why do you think this banana is red ? it looks pretty yellow to me based on its color code "

and i say "i dont care about colour codes . i hate the banana"

then that doesnt explain why the banana is supposedly "red" when it isnt red and somebody made a good argument for why it is yellow

What do you want from me m8? I gave arguments why I hate him in this thread later cuz I got asked about them, you can read them if you want. And (I'm gonna say it again) I meant that I don't care that Eren suffered a lot.
If you feel offended by my opinion about Eren, I'm sorry I didn't want to harm you.
Oct 13, 2020 12:10 PM

Sep 2018
Ty-Foo said:
That dude from isekai smartphone. I don't remember anything about him except that he had a smartphone and I think that's telling enough

I agree though he was so incredibly bland I forgot his name.

Sep 2017
Finding a bad male protag isn't hard at all, let's see what I can pick in the anime I've watched :
- Shinra Kusakabe (Fire Force)
- Tatsumi (Akame ga kill)
- Amane Yukiteru (Mirai Nikki)
- Kirito (Sword Art Online)
- Nariyuki Yiuga (Bokuben)
- Natsuo Fuji (Domestic na Kanojo)
- Kouta (Elfen Lied)
- Natsu Dragneel (Fairy Tail)
- Ken Kaneki (Tokyo Ghoul)

Sep 2017
Kirito Kirito Kirito
Holy shit I just can't say how much I hate this guy.Go to hell
خ
Oct 13, 2020 12:20 PM

Jul 2020
Domestic Girlfriend MC. Dude is unbelievably dense and stupid
Oct 13, 2020 12:33 PM

Mar 2020
Deku
Deku
Deku
Deku
Deku
Deku
DEKU
Yukiteru Amano
Deku
yum riceballs

i just want a baccano! season 2
Oct 13, 2020 12:50 PM

Dec 2016
that little fucktard from deadman wonderland. can't even remember his name, just that he annoyed the fuck out of me - too weak and mediocre of a character, one of those shit 'relatable' mcs.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Oct 13, 2020 12:50 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Saekosannn said:
Optional: you can say what you hate about them

Mines would me:

Kazuya Kinoshita( rent a girl friend)
Yukiteru Amano (mirai nikki)
Rito Yuuki (To-LOVE-Ru)
Issei Hyoudou (Highschool dxd)
Hajime Nagumo (Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou)

That's some solid picks, I was gonna say Rito as my #1 and Yukiteru is definitly up there aswell. I dislike Issei, I don't think he's near the worst but I have no idea why people call him a good character. I haven't seen Rent a Girlfriend and Kazuya is the main reason I haven't. Hajime was a funny edgelord, I kinda like him.

I'll chime in with Shuusuke from Onisuki aswell
Oct 13, 2020 12:51 PM
Apr 2020
Nefelupitou said:
Lelouch
That guy from No Game No Life
That guy from Kami no Tou
Naruto

I understand why Bam is hated
But I don't understand why! Why lelouch and sora are hated character in your
Oct 13, 2020 1:02 PM

Oct 2010
Ignoring the super obvious like Kirito from SAO or Makoto from School Days, a few come to mind.
- Koyomi Araragi: I didn't find his constant pedophilia or sexual harassment of little girls amusing or endearing. If some of the other characters in the Monogatari series weren't so great, I'd have a hard time watching it because of this guy.
- Kazuma Satou: Completely unlikable douchebag.
- Shinji Ikari: Completely insufferable. He made watching Evangelion painful.
Oct 13, 2020 1:02 PM

Mar 2020
Definitely Makoto from School Days. He is just designed to be hated.
Oct 13, 2020 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
Kirito from Sword Art Online, can't stand him
Oct 13, 2020 1:12 PM

Mar 2019
the normal protagonists of all those animes (not necessarily harem or isekai) such as darling, date a live, yumekui merry, index, gleipnir, the new anime of Jun Maeda, re: creators, oh my goddess, flcl, taboo tattoo, shana where he is a bored boy, without personality with a generic design that is completely boring who for some reason meets a girl who unlike him is funny and with a cute design.

oh my god I hate them!

Oct 13, 2020 1:20 PM

Nov 2019
suburu natsuki
yuki rito
seven deadly sins dude
your lie in april dude

now for best we go
guts
gintoki
ayannokugi
sung jin-woo
luffy
8man
yusuke yurameshi
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Oct 13, 2020 1:23 PM

Jan 2020
Saekosannn said:
czarus111 said:
Eren Yager is the poorest written MC I've ever seen. I hate this guy with passion.

how is he a poor written character? just because he shouts a lot doesn't mean he's the worst.
do you know what's like to be betrayed?
eren literally watched his own mother get eaten by a titan, infact many close people he watched died.
he's been through so much, he has a goal

I'd like to add my two cents to this convo since I also dislike Eren, For one after you learn about his mother's death there's jackshit added to his character, He doesn't have anything to offer the viewer except saying "I'll kill them titans" which even if he has a motivation why he wants to kill the titans, It makes his character empty and has 1 or 2 factors.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Oct 13, 2020 1:29 PM

Dec 2018

But the problem is hatred its not only Eren motivation and people cant even see it, like from the first episode his biggest goal was to escape the walls which he consider as cage, he was mad on almost everyone because they couldn't undertstand him, he compared humans to animals living in cage that had given up long time ago. He was little bit annyoing maybe but I can relate to this, he became what he hated ( titan) and then whole world started to use him as weapon.
ReegrezSNKOct 13, 2020 1:32 PM
Oct 13, 2020 1:41 PM

Mar 2020
ReegrezSNK said:

But the problem is hatred its not only Eren motivation and people cant even see it, like from the first episode his best goal was to escape the walls which he consider as cage, he was mad on almost everyone because they couldn't undertstand him, he compared humans to animals living in cage that had given up long time ago. He was little bit annyoing maybe but I can relate to this, he became what he hated ( titan) and then whole world started to use him as weapon.

Escaping the walls was not even close to being his character drive, it was only mentioned once or twice and it had no impact on his actions in any scenario what so ever. And “whole world” used him is not the correct statement at all, by he is a fricking soldier, of course the military is going to use him and they have every right to do so and everyone else who “used” him left no change in his personality or character so its not a valid character trait.
Eren really only has his hatred and anger as a motivation, but I explained that it is executed poorly and that’s the reason so many people find him annoying, because in reality, he is.
Oct 13, 2020 1:45 PM
Feb 2018
czarus111 said:
wait for the new season my boy. Many of u guys will be surprised i guess.
Oct 13, 2020 1:47 PM

Dec 2018

Everything he did from the beginning in the show was to free humanity from the cage called the wall, I think we watched other anime, like wtf dude XD And then in season 3 finale after he acomplish his goal and realized it was all for nothing, because whole time he knew he did not realize the truth, after that his quite big transformation begins, which we will see in the final season
ReegrezSNKOct 13, 2020 1:51 PM
Oct 13, 2020 1:53 PM

May 2018
Kazuya Kinoshita (Rent A Girlfriend)
Yukiteru Amano (mirai nikki)
Ichika Orimura (Infinite Stratos)
Haruyuki Arita (Accel World)
Makoto Itou (School Days)
Kitahara Haruki (White Album 2)

I only like Kazuya is because he pays me other than that hes hopeless and a big cry baby - Chizuru Mizuhara

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Oct 13, 2020 1:59 PM
Jul 2018
im not sure how to describe worst, since i usually love protags. but ill just do the ones i think are bland, and the very few i hated.

1. tanjirou (demon slayer)
2. senpai (dont bully me nagatoro)
3. kazuya (rent a girlfriend)
4. sora (no game no life)
5. lelouch (code geass) [i cant stand him]
6. meliodas (nanatsu no taizai)
7. issei (highschool dxd)
8. shuuichi (gleipnir)
Oct 13, 2020 2:17 PM

Feb 2019
The worst protagonist I have seen recently and I can assure you that he is one of the worst is Kazuya Kinoshita from Kanojo, Okarishimasu it's a asshole manipulative who does not learn anything But for no reason whatsoever, the girls forgives him and falls a little more from he. He's not being presented as the misogynstic, manipulative jackass that he is.
Oct 13, 2020 3:02 PM

Dec 2016
SSS-AmyArts said:
I’m gonna have to say Kirito. Why? Well, I have a few reasons for that.
Number 1: He’s ridiculously OP.
Now, I get it, he’s a beta tester for the first season. However, you still should have a limit on how OP you wanna make characters (Unless you’re one character that I’ll mention later). He should have no experience when he first enters the game, like, none. I get it, he worked hard for around 1 to 2 years, but others have worked harder. For example, lets look at Ainz from Overlord. Yes, he did gain his power through hard work and he’s even more OP than Kirito. However, it took him even more time to gain respect in the game and power. When he’s no longer able to leave the game, Ainz still keeps his power level. Overlord is supposed to be a show about overpowered characters taking over the world. SAO is supposed to be about fighting the bad guys and being a hero like most other shows. Also, Kirito is shown to know about the entire code for the game without being a developer. He just wipes out his knowledge out of nowhere to save Yui. This shows that Kirito can do just about anything because he’s the main character.
Number 2: He’s boring.
Kirito has no personality whatsoever. He’s just that black haired guy who gets all the ladies (Even his own sister!) just because he’s the protagonist and saves people. Yes, he lost his comrades and ended up being distant with his emotions, but other protagonists have dealt with worse and are still interesting characters. Lets look at Tanjiro for example. He lost his entire family, his only surviving family member turned into a demon, she was almost killed by a demon slayer, and was mentally scarred for the rest of his life. However, he still has a better personality than Kirito. He actually shows his emotions and hides all of his pain through a smile. While Kirito barley shows any emotion while in a sad scene. If Kirito at least showed a smile more often, he’d be a more likely character.
Number 3: The whole sister ordeal.
The one of reason why most people don’t like the second season of SAO is because that Kirito’s sister feel in love with him. This is already a problem to begin with. However, it’s even more of an issue when it’s a main stream anime. Sure, those weird incest animes have appeared, but they weren’t main stream. However, SAO is a big franchise that should set an example on problems people face. Incest is not a huge problem, and even if someone had that issue, they should go to therapy for something like that. His sister doesn’t even go to a professional to ask for help. All it took was one episode and it wasn’t talked about. She still is in love with him and still hasn’t gotten help by a legal professional. This problem wouldn’t happen if the creator didn’t write this part for the story, because it isn’t need to develop that particular character.
I could go on and on about Kirito’s problem, but we’d be here all day. Overall, he isn’t interesting to watch and he makes me lose interest in watching the show.

How does someone not understand Kirito this badly.
Oct 13, 2020 3:19 PM

Jul 2013
Worst for me

Rito Yuuki (To Love Ru)
Most Battle Harem protagonists
Natsu (Fairy Fail)
Kouta (Kanokon)

Oct 13, 2020 3:28 PM

May 2013
Yukiteru Amano from Mirai Nikki and Meliodas from Nanatsu no Taizai. They are so bad written

Oct 13, 2020 3:34 PM
Feb 2018
I think itou makoto bcs he literally fucked every girl character in school days.
Kirito, yuuki rito, issei, amano yuki,meliodas, and kazuya didnt do that.
Oct 13, 2020 3:35 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Masamune Kun, he is a complete joke who forgot everything he stood for the moment he had a chance with the girl he wanted revenge on.
Oct 13, 2020 3:35 PM

Sep 2019
Natsu Dragneel from Fairy Tail.

I never liked screaming protagonists. You know the ones I'm talking about: the Luffy's, the Naruto's, the Gon's etc.

Natsu is even worse than the aforementioned players, though. Why? The power of friendship in his fights is up to eleven. Power of friendship is not an alien concept for other shounen protagonists, but he is in another level: it doesn't matter what skills or tactics his opponents use or the difference in power level, a surge of strenght that comes from his friends will always save his ass no matter what. Second, no reedeming qualities. Naruto, as annoying as he can be, at least has a tragic backstory that can be relatively believable, you can sympathize with his situation to a certain, even if you have seen that a million times in the damn flashbacks. Gon has the moral code of a drunken teenager, but at least undergoes character development. Luffy is awful since it takes all the dramatic tension out of every situation he's in but at least compensates with some epic scenes here and there. But Natsu? He screams like an idiot even by shounen progatonist's standars, he is not combat smart, he can't plan, he can't do anything without the power of friendship. I guess you could say he's the embodiment of stupidity being rewarded. I mean, not that any other character in Fairy Tail is remotely interesting, but still.
ReturnbywaifuOct 13, 2020 3:38 PM
Soy gitana, canasteraaa.
Oct 13, 2020 3:37 PM

May 2020
my pick goes to Kazuya Kinoshita from Rent A Girlfriend. probably the most pathetic excuse of a main character i have ever seen, his actions and idiotic mindset are just 11/10 unsufferable, and i don't understand how the manga even got an adaptation (but maybe the story gets better, idk)
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Oct 13, 2020 5:46 PM

Oct 2012
Returnbywaifu said:
Natsu Dragneel from Fairy Tail.

I never liked screaming protagonists. You know the ones I'm talking about: the Luffy's, the Naruto's, the Gon's etc.

Natsu is even worse than the aforementioned players, though. Why? The power of friendship in his fights is up to eleven. Power of friendship is not an alien concept for other shounen protagonists, but he is in another level: it doesn't matter what skills or tactics his opponents use or the difference in power level, a surge of strenght that comes from his friends will always save his ass no matter what. Second, no reedeming qualities. Naruto, as annoying as he can be, at least has a tragic backstory that can be relatively believable, you can sympathize with his situation to a certain, even if you have seen that a million times in the damn flashbacks. Gon has the moral code of a drunken teenager, but at least undergoes character development. Luffy is awful since it takes all the dramatic tension out of every situation he's in but at least compensates with some epic scenes here and there. But Natsu? He screams like an idiot even by shounen progatonist's standars, he is not combat smart, he can't plan, he can't do anything without the power of friendship. I guess you could say he's the embodiment of stupidity being rewarded. I mean, not that any other character in Fairy Tail is remotely interesting, but still.
Yes I agree with this completely. Although I would say that if we're talking about the embodiment of stupidity being rewarded, the #1 pick has to go to Xin from Kingdom. He's so bad that it feels like unintentional satire on this character archetype.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 13, 2020 6:05 PM

Apr 2020
That one short fat loser from Accel World
Oct 13, 2020 6:14 PM

Jul 2019
I can't think about anyone else but Makoto Ito from School Days honestly. Yep that's my list.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Oct 13, 2020 6:53 PM
Jul 2020
I think the worst male protagonist is Kirito from SAO. Poorly written and overpowered for no reason.
Oct 13, 2020 7:58 PM
Jul 2020
伊藤诚(School Days)
ルイヴィトン リュック コピー:
https://www.hacopy.com/balenciaga1/
Oct 13, 2020 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
Sakakibara Kouichi from Another.
Look, I'm sure there's much worse, but I always see a lot of people mentioning Kirito on similar forums; Yeah, Kirito kinda sucks but I'm sure you can at least squeeze maybe even just a micometre of personality out of him//
Sakakibara? Yeah no. I can't name one thing he did. At most, I can recall him gasping -- at everything.
Truly, he's so hollow yet generic =(
Oct 13, 2020 8:11 PM
Jan 2018
Eren Yeager (the final arc won’t change this)
The guy from Solo Leveling
Tatsuya Shiba
Naruto
Pretty much any main male character from a shoujo anime
Kazuya Kinoshita
Any generic harem/LN protagonist
Oct 13, 2020 8:18 PM

Jan 2020
Undoubtedly Makoto Itou from School Days. I know there's a difference between a bad person and a bad character, but Makoto is both of them. His personality is really bland, and a lot of the times, it's inconsistent as well. He is one of the many reasons why I think School Days is such a bad show.
Oct 13, 2020 8:25 PM

Sep 2016
Kazuto Kirigaya (Kirito) - He’s too OP for his own good.
Yukiteru Amano - He was annoying and had an annoying case of Stockholm Syndrome.
Kei Nagai - He’s unlikeable. Very unlikeable. As soon as he becomes an Ajin he sees himself as better than everyone and doesn’t even bother to help bail out the one person that helped him out. He’s just a selfish prick.
Demon0fAnimeOct 13, 2020 9:33 PM
Oct 13, 2020 8:41 PM

Dec 2018
Shinji Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Mochizuki Touya (Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni)

Masamune Izumi (Eromanga Sensei)

Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)

Ichise (Texhnolyze)

Souji Mitsuka (Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu)

Rintaro Okabe (Steins;Gate)

These are a few male protagonists whom I really dislike, a few of my picks may astonish people around here since there are very widely loved by many fans, but yeah....they annoy the hell out of me so.....
345EdwardElricOct 13, 2020 8:46 PM
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
Oct 13, 2020 8:41 PM

Jun 2016

Makoto Ito from School Days

Natsuki Subaru from Re:Zero (just make a crying simulator game, and put him as the main character)

Ken Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul
AylrOct 13, 2020 8:45 PM
Oct 13, 2020 8:50 PM

Jul 2016
Any harem protagonist other than araragi all lame as hell
Oct 13, 2020 9:03 PM
Jan 2019
Animaniaig said:
Eren Yeager (the final arc won’t change this)

I'd love to know what makes you so sure lol
Oct 13, 2020 9:17 PM
Oct 2018
RapidShadow said:
Mine would probably be the mc of Mahouka dude literally has such a bland personality and a sister fetish.

seriously i agree..........and his sister is no less than him
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Openings with Sound Effects

_MushiRock11_ - Mar 28

11 by AverageRiceFan »»
2 minutes ago

» Which character in your favorites do you think is the strongest in a Fight, and which is comparatively Weakest?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 12

11 by AverageRiceFan »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

37 by Hikinekomori »»
6 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

103 by AverageRiceFan »»
6 minutes ago

» What anime tend to get grouped together despite being at least somewhat different from each other, in your opinion? (Think Barbie and Oppenheimer)

arinthach - Apr 11

22 by AverageRiceFan »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.