Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jul 8, 2021 2:45 AM

Jul 2015
Nice to see at the end that Dorothy's alive but I kinda wish for a reunion with Laurent. Despite a few plotholes some targets being rather stupid (e.g. Suzaku trusting Edamame after he literally tried to betray them), I quite loved the way they scammed with the twists here and there. I especially liked that this series used native speakers to showcase the language barriers for some parts.

Jul 25, 2021 10:26 AM

May 2020
Credit to Freddie Mercury ofc for that ED. I love this show, it was amazing. They explain it all the things and just hope for another sequel but seems they end it pretty well. Didn't expect that building too and the mafia and yakuza dumped on the island.
Aug 11, 2021 11:49 AM

Jun 2012
Loved every minute of it. I really wish a 2nd season or a movie would air in the near future. Glad I picked it up.
Oct 24, 2021 6:13 PM

Sep 2018
I don't know what to feel on this anime. In the first case, I feel bad for Makoto and hate Laurent for always tricking him but doing it all over again is already predictable. I don't feel tense anymore because I know, in the end it will be always convenient for them. I really like this anime at first but in the end, it became annoying 6/10.
Oct 27, 2021 2:07 AM

Jul 2017
Razzie (one of Eddie's film) protagonist became USA president, and his face pretty much resembles Steven Seagal in the past (around '90s) lol.
May 7, 2022 4:47 PM
Jan 2016
Yeah I kinda wish edamura had betrayed them and they all went to jail. Poor guy lol.
I'm surprised that I ended up liking him. I also really liked his rant and it felt so justified. Him out of nowhere being fine with being played and all the crap he had to participate in feels somehow weird.

I wasn't enjoying the first half of the show that much but the second half made up for it, up untill the last 2 eps.
Dorothy being alive kinda ruined an already meh ending for me. :/
But other than that, it was a fun ride. The art was really cool as well.

On another note idk why the crew would feel comfortable being around the criminals they scammed previously. Last time they saw him, Sam was literally trying to shoot them.
I kept expecting Sam and the others to turn on them and execute them on the boat at the very ending, as a sort of last hurra. xD
Also, weren't they supposed to be all broke after being scammed. Wasn't that the initial point of the first two scams? I like to think that at least offscreen something got done about the child trafficking groups aside from putting their leaders on an island.
BambiinaMay 7, 2022 5:04 PM
May 11, 2022 9:35 PM
Feb 2022
for me i didnt like the show much at first but it kept getting better and better until this super disappointing ending. still going to give it a pretty high mark overall but sigh what a waste of a buildup

edit: ive since downgraded my score, after realizing how it doesn’t live up to others at the same level. how this show gains such high scores blows my mind. it’s like the smug writing style wears onto the viewers or they are completely swayed by the art style. whatever the case, i think this show had so much potential but the cracks are there and they are deep af
jasutin_hoshiAug 20, 2022 4:08 PM
Jun 3, 2022 10:55 AM

May 2018
Cliched af, unrealistic af, disappointed af. Especially at the last case.
How in the all thing that is holy is Dorothy still alive? And what’s up with the villains? I didn’t know doing bad things in ur life can make you happy like that, they didn’t even get punished and probably still get their money from the last case. There’s no character development. Even after 23 episodes, The main casts are still the same in their character, nor has any difference on their relationship.
Jun 3, 2022 11:05 AM
May 2020
I don't remember the events of the story well because I watched it at once, but all I remember is that the ending was convincing for me
Jun 11, 2022 7:25 PM

Oct 2015
I did expect that post credit scene, but nonetheless come on.

I still feel like Makoto is an immature idiot for bringing in Eddie, Sam and Coleman in the mix just to stick it to Laurent. It didn't aid his frustration, Laurent wasn't that panicked or at least he was composed about, which made him the bigger person at the end. Also, them letting bygones be bygones with each other didn't impress me at all, kinda diluted the whole thing a bit.

On the positive side, this is probably my favorite Netflix series so far. Every arc and story was impaling with great humor and mystery. You always wonder what are they going to do next. Characters were perfect, all of them complemented each other including the supporters like Kudo. I had fun, my favorite had to be the Coleman case. The guy is a prick, but I enjoyed seeing him getting on uppity with the lot, and getting his face turned upside down. The last arc was serious, but I liked how it was preplanned by Laurent and the guys.

Animation-perfect, characters-perfectly good, music-perfect especially since it the ending was from the GOAT Freddie mercury, pace-awesome, plot-greatly done.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 26, 2022 8:35 PM

Apr 2015
Decent Ending for somewhat good show, overthinking it would ruin that because the show doesn't really rely that much on logic or realism
that being said, Edamura "character development" was a bit disappointing as he didn't change at all and still followed what has been told to him as always
Aug 27, 2022 6:35 PM

May 2017
Probably straight up the worst final episode to an otherwise good anime I've ever seen. Retroactively made the rest of the show worse for no reason.

Basically they turned Edamame into a human trafficker and traumatized him just to fuck with him? And they brought the previous assholes they scammed just because? Oh, not to mention that apparently that trafficker woman isn't so bad after all, because she has a son or something.

Christ, what a shitshow.
Sep 10, 2022 11:18 AM
Nov 2021
amogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogusamogus
Sep 14, 2022 5:38 PM
Jan 2014
it was ok like very ok
Sep 14, 2022 6:16 PM
Sep 2021
I could see how this was going to end nine episodes ago. Not fun
Sep 29, 2022 10:06 PM

Mar 2015
This show would make more sense if it was set in the 80's. The antagonists were way too incompetent.
The protagonists going full "keikaku doori" at every arc kind of made me root for the bad guys.

It was a fun show to watch though.
MonstrumSep 30, 2022 7:13 PM
Oct 10, 2022 10:33 PM
Aug 2020
Can't believe it's the end of this awesome anime!! 9/10 with no doubt! The story telling is just amazing, loved all the characters and the plot of this last thief is one of the best I've ever seen in this category of anime! Still thinking how Dorothy survived in the end, and if she and Laurent will meet again. Just one question to finish my review, anyone here have suspected the story was all about Laurent and he was the main character all of this time?
Oct 20, 2022 10:42 AM
Jun 2020
This ending is pretty lackluster...
As many have said in their post, I had also hoped that Edamura truly did "betray" them. Or at least taught them a lesson.

The whole show was the rest of the cast, including Edamura's family, manipulating Edamura emotionally and psychologically.

He had to believed his dad was a human trafficker when he was just a high schooler, then take care of his sick mom all by himself, and THEN get put into jail because the police was an asshole who didn't believe the poor boy because of what his father did.

The best part of this whole last act is his ranting speech to his dad about being abandoned.

Really wished he had went through with betraying the crew and did not get swayed by a "forgive yourself" advice from Abigail.. Like...?????? How does that even make sense??
He went out of the way to stop Abby from straying into the wrong path: checks in on her, talks to her, make sure she didn't commit murder in the middle of Gardens By the Bay.
He tried to bring closure to Cynthia's past: persuaded her ex boyfriend to be involved, resolving misunderstanding of the motive for the con, nudges them to face each other and bring some closure to themselves.
Then here in the last act, as much as it is about Laurent's past, is also about Edamura's past.
But then what? All he gets is some overdue explanation of what happened in the past and that this explanation is like a "redemption" arc replacement?
And Laurent got his revenge, with a lot of help from Edamura, having to endure all the mafias dirty work, especially child trafficking and auctioning.

So in the end, through the godly power of forgiveness, Edamura is able to fulfil Laurent's revenge scheme.

wow. all the money in the world they can give him for the cons, but I don't see how Edamura won't be getting PTSD, depression, and paranoia from how he was so badly manipulated and disrespected.
I am not even asking for some saintly storylines for all of them. I am fine with abuse story plots and inhuman characters as long as they are supposed to be like that. But then don't dress up the toxic storylines and rationalize them with some Vigilante trope....

The more I think about the last episode, the more flawed the whole show becomes....

P.S. I am a shounen genre fan too, which should say something about my tolerance level of badly written plots, overused tropes, and under-developed characters
mushi_JyouOct 21, 2022 12:47 PM
Oct 23, 2022 11:00 AM

Dec 2012
this anime exist because the successful of j drama "the confidence man"
go check it out if anyone curious, its very similar theme. and theres also one guy that cant escape from con man because of their group lol
Oct 29, 2022 7:25 AM
Jan 2019
So after all OZ visited his wife and she kept it a secret from Edamura? WEIRD
Nov 20, 2022 2:14 PM

Jun 2015
What! Are you people serious?
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Dec 11, 2022 4:33 AM
Nov 2020
not bad, middle of season was the best
Dec 20, 2022 10:04 AM
May 2021
Not a creative ending. I'd have love if makoro took of the gangstar women, that would have been a awesome and anti-climactic ending. Really disappointing.
Jan 15, 2023 1:22 PM
Oct 2017
We Need season 3, more epic than the second. The show has great potential for more heists
Jan 24, 2023 6:57 PM

Jan 2011
i thought this was entertaining enough, i did thought this final arc was a bit convoluted though 7/10
Apr 6, 2023 3:35 AM

Nov 2016
with so little comedy, i was just focused on the plot

finally completed it and man this isnt my cup of coffee. the plot was bad, the ending worse. sure i dont mind pretending the MCs being gods, but being able to do anything and everything was too much. their plot armour was also god tier from start to end. the bad guys werent thinking straight. if they were to try anything like this IRL, welp, GL with getting isekaid. lots of "things" have an up to date blacklist

i was hoping theyd be like modern robin hoods, at least having a purpose to help unlucky people but nah
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Apr 8, 2023 9:11 PM

Jun 2015
omg.. what was that ending.. omg... what a brilliant show i enjoyed every single second of it, 10/10 
Jul 1, 2023 7:45 AM

Jul 2016
I guess the real friends were the pretenders we made along the way

An awesome ride overall but man, the twists this anime had were on another level lmao. I mean that ending tho, are they really saying Dorothy "pretended" to die?
Jul 24, 2023 1:05 PM
Aug 2022
Although language transitions were silly and weird i like it a lot.
Thats a whole package of pure entertainment, very well thought out show for its full purpose.
Aug 22, 2023 9:24 PM
May 2021
this anime tricked me too many times but overall it was a 10/10
Aug 27, 2023 6:39 PM
Feb 2015
What a cliffhanger at the end.All in all a thriller ending for the Great pretender
Aug 30, 2023 1:52 PM
Mar 2020
not that enticing
Oct 1, 2023 9:53 AM
Oct 2023
all the episode was big brainnnnnn
Oct 9, 2023 11:45 AM

Sep 2020
Overall it's a great anime with a decent ending. 9/10
Oct 21, 2023 9:31 AM
Feb 2022
Loved this anime soo much!!!! really keeps u on your toes
Nov 18, 2023 4:54 PM

Sep 2018
Can't say I liked the ending much, it seemed too much like he normal sappy nonsense that for some reason anime producers think they need to include in anything meant to appeal to a US audience. Maybe this was true in like... 1995 when every popular US movie was some sort of tear jerker nonsense but things have moved on.

I liked most of this arc but the end was awful, I also hated the first arc because of how annoyingly unrealistic it was but the rest of the show redeemed it's self up until this point. Was going to give the show an 8 but now it's getting a 7.

On a side note, it still bothers me how everyone used their real names most of the time. "But it would make things too confusing if they changed their names every con" only if you are incredibly stupid but then again this show is mentally insulting in many other ways anyhow, you know what, never mind, it's getting a 6. I better stop before my opinion of this show goes even lower.
KristiwazhereNov 18, 2023 5:12 PM
Dec 4, 2023 7:44 AM

Nov 2023
Damn wtf was that ending. All of their swindled victims are on their side? Well, I guess this is their reminder that this is just a fictional series anyway..
Dec 20, 2023 4:35 PM
Sep 2020
Have a great animation, a good plot and apresent a good adventure
Jan 6, 9:51 PM
Mar 2016
wait what. there was this hidden gem pass right in front of my nose. No way. I didn't know this anime until I checked Wit page and see the sequel coming this year.
Mar 3, 4:34 AM
Apr 2013
Great easy watch.
Mar 7, 3:16 AM
Jan 2022
THE BEST ENDING EVER
Apr 17, 1:29 AM

Jul 2013
It was good while it lasted but honestly the last arc had way too much bs, sometimes ridiculous bs.

Well, should just let that slide since it ended and all. 8\10 for me.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 15 Discussion

uninstallthegame - Sep 20, 2020

47 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 17, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tsarko - Jun 19, 2020

52 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 11, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 12 Discussion

Tsarko - Jun 18, 2020

42 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 11, 4:21 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

uninstallthegame - Jun 8, 2020

62 by RawrOMG »»
Feb 17, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 9 Discussion

Pre_Yum - Jun 15, 2020

34 by RawrOMG »»
Feb 16, 12:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.