Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 5, 2020 6:43 PM

Oct 2018
Every battle anime has some sort of power system which one of these power system is the best? For the record what I mean by best is how fleshed out it is how creative they get with the powers that are used.

For me it's obvious and that is the Magic Power System and Science Power System or Esper Abilities from the Toaru Series. I have never seen a show that balances the concepts of magic and science so seamlessly the way Toaru does. I also like that the science half is still very much grounded in real life science and physics . For example take Accelerator's ability of vector manipulation he has the power to control the direction and size of literally any attack thrown at him through his manipulation of vectors but it allows him to do so much more because pretty much everything has a vector component. His ability can also allow him do thing such as cause earthquake by stomping his foot, block soundwaves, control wind, manipulate blood flow, etc. Now I know your thinking "That sound overpowered af does he have any weaknesses?" Yes his weakness is math. Accelerator has calculate how much of his ability he needs whenever uses it. So he has to be able to do these complex equation in his head in order to control his ability and that is such a smart way of weakening him it's amazing. I could go on for hours talking about the power system of Toaru but I'm gonna stop here.
Adimus_primeAug 7, 2020 8:18 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 5, 2020 6:59 PM

Dec 2018
FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter (2011) comes to mind first.

The whole power system based on alchemy & stuff in the world of FMA is grounded strongly by the laws & principles of Equivalent Exchange, which as a whole creates a strong sense of morality/justice prevailing over the alchemy/transmutation based power system, which doesn't leave much of a scope for asspulls or DEM power ups.

While HxH has Nen which is one of the most well-detailed & well-explained shounen powers till date which makes many of battle look very sound, well executed & well thought out Though the reason why I wouldn't put it on the same level as FMA is because there are a few asspull/DEM power-up moments in the Greed Island arc which feels more like isekai powers rather than a well-explained shounen power. But other than that, it's perfect.

345EdwardElricAug 6, 2020 9:55 PM
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
Aug 5, 2020 7:02 PM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
Yeah, same, the Toaru system since it's grounded in science principles and the like at the base, and that makes it work as a major sci-fi series~!^^'>
Aug 5, 2020 7:03 PM

Jul 2019
100% biased but I like the Naruto ‘chakra’ system best. It’s just cool.
Aug 5, 2020 7:03 PM

Sep 2014
I saw this and just wanted to say the Index series for sure.

The way the powers are used is really interesting.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Aug 5, 2020 7:06 PM

Aug 2019
hunter x hunter by far. It has a very nice balance, the more power a character has the more hoops they have to jump through to use said power.
Aug 5, 2020 7:23 PM

Jul 2020
Three things come into my mind(Oh wait it's four whatever)

1. Everyone's favorite, HunterXHunter Nen

Most detailed power system you could probably find in the entire manga/anime community. Even without the special power you can use by using Hatsu, there are so many variations of Nen you could use just by changing it's shape and size. And the creator explains all in the way that makes sense. The cons of this power system would be that it is too hard and long to understand the entire system, and it actually takes few episodes just to explain the "BASICS" of the Nen.

2. Full Metal Alchemist, Alchemy

Alchemy is the ficitional power used in FMA. But it's basics are based on science, using chemistry and physics to layout the necessities of understanding the alchemy. For example, Roy Mustang uses Fire Alchemy, which to normies like us look like he's shooting fireballs out his snaps. But what he is actually doing is controlling the concentration of dust and air, which then he snaps to make dust explosion, resulting in explosion of the exact place where he wants it to be. Issac McDougal uses Ice Alchemy, which uses controlling the movement and temperature of water, which he can use it to boil or freeze the blood inside human body. Only thing that prevents this power inflation from going out of control is maintaining equivalent exchange. I don't quite see a lot of cons out of this power system.

3. Jojo, Stands

Stands are the most popular superpower used in manga/anime community, since it has influenced so many superpower battle mangas since its introduction in 1989. Stand user can only have one stand. Each stand has unique ability and stats, which requires user's understanding of the way to use power and situation in order to win against the opponent. For example, Giorno Giovanna's stand is Gold Experience, which has an ability to imbue a life to lifeless thing, and he uses it to heal the wounds, track the enemy using heat by making a snake, and etc. Stands are more than who can blow stronger and faster punches, and they use a lot of knowledge and logics to turn the tables and defeat an opponent. Cons of this power system is that stats aren't absolute, and it needs a lot of knowledge to understand and fight against an enemy. Also, unlike many superpower animes, stands almost does not require growth and development in order to make them stronger.

4. Naruto, Chakra

Chakra is the basic form of life energy that remains in ninjas. Before Naruto's power inflation went out of control, chakra was actually one of the power system that required a lot of strategies to fight against formidable enemies. Starting from 5 basic forms: fire, lightning, water, earth, wind, and making exceptions like shadow clone jutsu and ice style, ninjas in this world needed make most advantage of their specialties and figure out the secrets of others' jutsus, just like the battle of Naruto&Sasuke vs Haku or Kakashi vs Zabuza. Cons of this power system would be of course, power inflation by Naruto and Uchiha clan's Mangekyo Sharingans.

My choice: Alchemy from FMA, FMAB
Even if I'm alone, I'll go, even if I want to die.
I can hear your voice, saying I shouldn't die.
Even if it's difficult, even if I cry from loneliness
I can feel warmth from deep inside my heart.

Going round-and-round and flowing, time is ever-changing.
I can't remember what happened anymore, but
If I try and close my eyes, I can hear someone's laughing voice
For some reason, now, that is My Most Precious Treasure.

from Ichiban no Takaramono, by LiSA
Aug 5, 2020 7:28 PM

Jul 2016

One Piece bounties for sure. You get a very specific number value that has a logical function in the one piece world. Of course this only applies to the pirates. The navy have their own military hierarchy and not easy to compare the two. It's also interesting that there is a lag between real strength increase and bounty recognition. Also interesting when the bounty underestimates the pirate, eg. Chopper, or overestimates, eg. Usopp.
Aug 5, 2020 7:47 PM

Nov 2011
General consensus say it is Hunter X Hunter. I am actually surprised HxH has not yet dominate this thread.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 5, 2020 7:50 PM

Oct 2019
hxh easy, the most fleshed out and battles arent boring, followed by jojo, also very interesting battles. fmab would be higher if you're just counting basic alchemy but with the other countrys version of alchemy and the p stones it becomes a little iffy. toaru sounds interesting though.
Hi :)
Aug 5, 2020 8:00 PM

Jan 2009
im a simple man so Demon Slayer with breathing makes you as strong as demons or become superhuman

Can Breathing Like Wim Hof Make Us Superhuman?
https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/can-breathing-like-wim-hof-make-us-superhuman

we can dream lol but lol sucks if you got asthma if true though
Aug 5, 2020 11:08 PM

Nov 2011
DeN11 said:
I was also thinking Toaru, so I'll elaborate on it. Unlike other anime with a character that controls electricity (Enel, Killua, Hei, Naruto characters, and more), Misaka can do so much more then simply shoot electricity. She manipulate the electricity to create magnetic forces allowing her to stick and glide down metal building, vibrates metal sand to create a chainsaw like weapon, and uses a magnetic field created through electricity to shoot a Railgun projectile. The esper power system revolves around your general understanding of science and how to apply them while fighting, not just the destructive force.

It's more of creative use of power from Misaka as a character, not speaking about power system itself.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 5, 2020 11:52 PM

Jul 2019
I always liked Bleach power system the most. The entire concept of zanpakuto always fascinated me.
Aug 6, 2020 2:41 AM

Apr 2016
I’d say Hunter x Hunter, definitely. It’s very well thought, Togashi did a great job.
Aug 6, 2020 2:47 AM

Oct 2010
Yawara.
It's very simple, you train, you're good. Sure Yawara has talent and made an ippon to her father when she was 5 years old and she beat a soviet judoka who was certainly using medical drugs for gainig muscle, but the concept is good.
Aug 6, 2020 3:00 AM

Aug 2018
Gintama has the best power system.It has none.You just fight and that's it.

In most battle shounen the power system become redundant to the MCs.They can do whatever they want.It's even pointless to have one.The asspulls created by such is just ridiculous.The creators do whatever they want and give a clumsy explanation for it or the MC is just special.

The only power system that justifies asspull is Nen from HxH.Togashi can use any asspull and claim it was Nen Vows.Kurapika and Gon defeated OP villains because of the concept of Nen Vows.It's well thought out.And the other types of nen are also explained properly.
Aug 6, 2020 3:06 AM

May 2015
Dragon Ball has the best one I can think of.
Aug 6, 2020 8:18 AM

Oct 2018
Jim_Heart said:
DeN11 said:
I was also thinking Toaru, so I'll elaborate on it. Unlike other anime with a character that controls electricity (Enel, Killua, Hei, Naruto characters, and more), Misaka can do so much more then simply shoot electricity. She manipulate the electricity to create magnetic forces allowing her to stick and glide down metal building, vibrates metal sand to create a chainsaw like weapon, and uses a magnetic field created through electricity to shoot a Railgun projectile. The esper power system revolves around your general understanding of science and how to apply them while fighting, not just the destructive force.

It's more of creative use of power from Misaka as a character, not speaking about power system itself.
I think what he is saying that the power system is very grounded in science so the greater the user's knowledge of the sciences behind there ability the more they can do with it and that is what makes the power system interesting.
Aug 6, 2020 9:12 AM

Nov 2011
Adimus_prime said:
Jim_Heart said:

I think what he is saying that the power system is very grounded in science so the greater the user's knowledge of the sciences behind there ability the more they can do with it and that is what makes the power system interesting.

Okay, I get the point. It is because Toaru is more a sci-fi than most superpower anime. I always liked Misaka's creative ways in using her power too by the way.

To be honest, I am not really comfortable with power balance and ideas in Toaru, abilities like Accelerator, Teleporter and Meltdowner for example.
-Accelerator for one basically has everyone abilities.
-Teleportation is not far behind Accelerator in the term of overpowered, I seriously think that except for Accelerator, no one can beat a teleporter in one on one fight, ability wise.
-For Meltdowner, I have a feeling that power description is because the author misunderstood real life physics. I can forgive the error if that is the power of a minor character, but it's always distraught me because it is the ability of 1 from only 7 seven Level 5s.
Aug 6, 2020 9:22 AM
Dec 2019
PerfectAzul said:
100% biased but I like the Naruto ‘chakra’ system best. It’s just cool.

yeah it was very cool in the begining. but, Shit went down in shippuden (especially last arcs) with every villain just getting infinite chakra, and somehow having counter to every freaking attack.
and the whole idea of bringing dead to life was bunch of BS. i guess uptill pain arc it was going fine, then even the handsigns were ignored..!!
Aug 6, 2020 9:25 AM

Sep 2018
JOOOOJOOOOOOOOOO

Both are great but Stands are just better. Change my mind.
Aug 6, 2020 3:15 PM

Oct 2018
Jim_Heart said:
General consensus say it is Hunter X Hunter. I am actually surprised HxH has not yet dominate this thread.
I was expecting Nen to be the one most people would say that and stands from JJBA.
Aug 6, 2020 3:21 PM
Oct 2019
personally, tog's shinsoo power system that represents the energy as water always fascinated me. other than that it's probably hunter x hunter or jojo obviously
Aug 6, 2020 9:29 PM
Jul 2019
Index has the most fascinating power system I've seen yet. But everyone's talking about the Science side when the Magic side is more interesting, at least in my opinion. Now like Science, which is realistic and the processes that are possible can be done in real life, the Magic side is also realistic, not that magic is real, but the magic that is based on is what I'm talking about. Religion, angels, archangels, saints, aeons, thelema. It's really fascinating. The world of magic is so vast that it's so hard to know everything unlike Science which we have limited knowledge about. Now if you search thelema, you will see who made it, Aleister Crowley. In Index, that's the same Aleister Crowley except he built Academy City. I really love how Kamachi combined real life and fiction together to make this power system and amazing story.
Aug 6, 2020 9:33 PM

Oct 2018
SomeGuyWithHair said:
Index has the most fascinating power system I've seen yet. But everyone's talking about the Science side when the Magic side is more interesting, at least in my opinion. Now like Science, which is realistic and the processes that are possible can be done in real life, the Magic side is also realistic, not that magic is real, but the magic that is based on is what I'm talking about. Religion, angels, archangels, saints, aeons, thelema. It's really fascinating. The world of magic is so vast that it's so hard to know everything unlike Science which we have limited knowledge about. Now if you search thelema, you will see who made it, Aleister Crowley. In Index, that's the same Aleister Crowley except he built Academy City. I really love how Kamachi combined real life and fiction together to make this power system and amazing story.
I didn't get into to the magic side as much because I wasn't sure if I could explain that well but you explained it perfectly and I agree with ever you said about the magic aspect of Toaru.
Aug 6, 2020 9:38 PM

Nov 2014
I tend to like the ones that allow for a lot of leeway like Saint Seiya, Fairy Tail or One Piece. They allow for the fights to have a lot of emotion and character development rather than weird gimmicks or math homework.
Quality Queen.
Aug 6, 2020 9:40 PM
May 2017
345EdwardElric said:
FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter (2011) comes to mind first.

The whole power system based on alchemy & stuff in the world of FMA is grounded strongly by the laws & principles of Equivalent Exchange, which as a whole creates a strong sense of morality/justice prevailing over the alchemy/transmutation based power system, which doesn't leave much of a scope for asspulls or DEM power ups.

While HxH has Nen which is one of the most well-detailed & well-explained shounen powers till date which makes many of battle look very sound, well executed & well thought. Though the reason why I wouldn't put it on the same level as FMA is because there are a few asspull/DEM power-up moments in the Greed Island which feels more like isekai powers rather than a well-explained shounen power. But other than that, it's perfect.

I'm watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood as we speak, my one gripe is that they don't explore the alchemy in fights too much. Edward kinda just throws rocks and makes knives, that being said im like 15 episodes in so I still have alot to see.
Aug 6, 2020 9:54 PM

Dec 2018
TinyG said:
345EdwardElric said:

While HxH has Nen which is one of the most well-detailed & well-explained shounen powers till date which makes many of battle look very sound, well executed & well thought. Though the reason why I wouldn't put it on the same level as FMA is because there are a few asspull/DEM power-up moments in the Greed Island which feels more like isekai powers rather than a well-explained shounen power. But other than that, it's perfect.

I'm watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood as we speak, my one gripe is that they don't explore the alchemy in fights too much. Edward kinda just throws rocks and makes knives, that being said im like 15 episodes in so I still have alot to see.

Well you're pretty early into the show now, so it's understandable why you'd think that way, but I can tell you that the the whole power system of alchemy/transmutations & the fundamental principles upon which it's based are explored soundly in detail throughout the whole show, not only during the fights even outside of them, plus the various usages + effects of different type/kinds of alchemy & different types of transmutations are also shown at several points throughout the show. You'll see it as you gradually go more into the show.
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
Aug 6, 2020 9:59 PM

Apr 2020
I would say that number 1 for me is Hunter x Hunter 2011’s jen system. I just like the fact that you can make it anything you want and have drawbacks to make it overpowered. Number 2 for me is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, since I like that the alchemist’s alchemy reflects on their personality. Edward Elric, who likes to transmute metal due to his steel-like resolve to get Alphonse’s body back, Roy Mustang who has flames for his fiery resolve in justice, Kimblee who likes destruction.
Aug 6, 2020 10:02 PM

Oct 2015
hey I thought i'd had to correct something saying toaru but you came with that as well.
Aug 7, 2020 2:02 PM

Mar 2013
The Nen from HunterxHunter is probably the best for a battle shounen type series considering the nature of it but I also really like Bleach's use of spiritual energy and the unique abilities of different characters.
Aug 7, 2020 8:31 PM

Jan 2020
Fate series for sure , command spell , temporarily body , angra mainyu , seven class , noble phantasm , it's so fun to learn these stuff. Death Note will be 2nd
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Aug 7, 2020 8:43 PM

Jun 2020
Fate Zero, Naruto, and Bleach. Don't really care for hunter x hunter's power system.
Aug 7, 2020 10:47 PM

Dec 2019
Probably Toaru, HxH is also a good choice. Both have fleshed out explanations to how the systems work.

Personally I prefer Toaru simply because I appreciate the attempt of keeping it grounded to real life science and physics. How good you are is related to how well your understanding of science/math/physics is. I like that a lot more than "The essence in every living being"
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
-Kino's Journey
Aug 7, 2020 11:28 PM

Nov 2016
HxH, JoJo, One Piece and World Trigger. I simply like the sheer variety and thought put into their power systems and how the fights play out.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 8, 2020 7:56 AM

Oct 2019
basic asf answer but i really like what hunter x hunter did with nen, it took the simple to grasp concept of 'aura' and made it interesting, well-balanced and exciting
how tf r yall making such nice signatures
Aug 8, 2020 8:08 AM

Dec 2018
For me One Piece stuff in general its little mess, but anyway.
Aug 9, 2020 5:59 AM

Aug 2019
the nen system is incredibly well written. everything makes sense and it's that hard to process. it's practially flawless.

i've only seen railgun so i can't speak on the magic parts on the abilities but i love how scientific and well researched the abilities. you can tell the author properly researched and used literal science (or close enough) to writing practically realistic abilities.
Aug 9, 2020 9:06 AM

Oct 2008
Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken (I like that system)
Aug 14, 2020 10:33 AM

Oct 2018
zieek said:
This was answer I wasn't expecting. I thought that power system was pretty interesting especially the naming part I had never seen something like that in an Isekai anime or any anime for that matter before watching Tensura.
Aug 14, 2020 10:51 AM

Dec 2018
Chkra honestly is ass. The more the show progresses the less sense it makes. Also the power system in Naruto is rigged every 10 episodes, so I have absolutely nothing but contempt for such cheap writing. Frankly, the system started out to have quite potential, but then pretty much nothing else was added and random shit just happened "because chkra".

Quirk is the same. Idk man at least chkra seems much more creative. Wtf is quirk anyway? Such a convenient way to just do whatever you want.

Also I've seen 9/10 people with sufficient animé knowledge say it's either Jojo's Stand, or HxH Nen, or both. I'd say it'd be Nen coz I haven't watched Jojo. The rest are shit for me.
. . .
Aug 14, 2020 12:28 PM

Oct 2008
Adimus_prime said:
zieek said:
This was answer I wasn't expecting.

Thanks I just wrote how Ihonestly felt. To be honest the system in D,Gray-Man is also pretty cool. The "Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra" anime also has an awesome system. And lastly "Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke" has such an epik system. Watch these anime guys, you won't be sorry.
Aug 14, 2020 12:37 PM

Jul 2019
I really like the entire zanpakuto and kidō system in Bleach. Nen from HxH is a very close second.
Aug 14, 2020 12:40 PM
May 2020
Probably Nen from Hunter x Hunter (2011). It’s amazing how well it’s explained, how versatile it is, and how each Nen power reflects the character using it, and without leaning on power levels or any of that crap.
Aug 14, 2020 2:26 PM

Jan 2017
I will join in the toaru power system.
Aug 14, 2020 3:12 PM

Jul 2020
Haki, Nen, Devil Fruits, ODM gear, Noble Phantasms, and Breathing itself

バンの一味
Aug 14, 2020 5:03 PM

May 2009
The power level system in the Nanoha franchise is probably the one I'm most familiar with. The basic scale measures a character's raw magical output, though it doesn't account for skill or versatility of its use, so someone with a lower rank isn't necessarily at a disadvantage.

There are also the magical capabilities of bioengineered cyborgs, called Inherent Skills, which can be ranked similarly.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 14, 2020 5:06 PM

Aug 2016
the stands from Jojos. it´s the only thing I like about it, though.
:v
Aug 14, 2020 9:27 PM
Sep 2019
Probably the toaru raildex science power system.... Really interesting to see powers that actually work based on scientific principles.... Their magic system is good too but didn't really go in depth
Other than that I'd say stands and nen are close runners up.... Stands are creative and versatile as hell and nen is pretty detailed
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 10 hours ago

16 by Lucifrost »»
28 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

53 by Lucifrost »»
4 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

16 by FanofAction »»
13 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

36 by LostSpectre »»
15 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

60 by LostSpectre »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.