Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 29, 2011 11:05 PM

Aug 2009
That's not ending, huh.
Aug 11, 2011 11:22 PM

Apr 2011
I suppose this a dead end for me with Kare Kano, after reading a few chapters of the manga after were the anime left, it doesn't feel the same T_T it just doesn't feel so lively. I liked this most for the unique combination of comedy and psychological troubles, but mostly for the comedy D:
Apologies, I just can't avoid to rant.
Aug 12, 2011 6:47 AM

Apr 2009
K-Shuun said:
I suppose this a dead end for me with Kare Kano, after reading a few chapters of the manga after were the anime left, it doesn't feel the same T_T it just doesn't feel so lively. I liked this most for the unique combination of comedy and psychological troubles, but mostly for the comedy D:

what chapter does the anime end on?
Sep 26, 2011 11:58 PM

Jan 2011
I believe the anime covers loosely the first seven books.

This could have been a nine or ten up until the change in directors (and the producers cutting the budget cause they knew they wouldn't get another season). The last episode was probably not originally designed to be the end--should have been about episode 23 or 24 with 3 more to bring us to a good season ending point. However it was "in the can" when the whole project fell apart so they just stuck it in as the last episode and brought in the second director to do four or five filler episodes as cheaply as possible.

If it ever gets made as an anime again, I suspect it will be by a different studio. Until that does or doesn't happen, we should all chill and read the manga which is supposed to be superb.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Oct 13, 2011 12:41 PM
Aug 2011
You people are crazy. This isn't something I'd like to watch everyday but as a one-time deal I loved the innovative style. I also really enjoyed the stuff with Tonami as he's about the only character I found tolerable. Really wish more episodes were this deep and interesting as opposed to focusing on unfunny comedy.
Oct 16, 2011 10:11 PM

May 2008
Can't believe they didn't fix this shit in the DVD version. Fucking Gainax. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Disregarding the studio's mismanagement of this adaptation I thought the story itself was pretty great. Definitely reading the manga soon.
Nov 20, 2011 7:56 PM

Jul 2011
Disappointing. Really, really disappointing. As a stand alone episode it was fine, I suppose, but a complete failure as a last one. Doesn't give even a tiny amount of finality or try to tie up any loose ends. Really didn't like the boring black and white art film approach for most of the episode, either.

After all the build up I was hoping to see a little of how things went but no such luck with that, too. It just touched on things and then just stops. Not a good way to end things. Would give the episode itself a 3/5, 6/10. The series as a whole I'd still give a 10/10, though. Despite some flaws I still loved it and the characters were fantastic. Might be the first thing I've ever seen where I actually liked all the characters.
Dec 14, 2011 1:17 AM

Sep 2009
fucking why
this could have been one of my favorites.

If I wanted to read the manga after watching this, would I start with volume 8?
HenteDec 16, 2011 1:18 PM

Feb 12, 2012 12:08 AM

Sep 2011
This Anime had potential but all these recaps and randomness fked it up. It literally went from a 7, to a 6, and then to a 5 from beginning to end. I was hoping for the last episode to have more Arima x Miyazawa but I'm guessing the real last episode was episode 24...? *twitch*

End result:
5/10 (including all the recaps + random shet)
6/10 (excluding all the recaps + random shet)
Feb 14, 2012 6:15 AM
Aug 2010
Hey, Arima, Arima, hey! Well, wait...? Perhaps we met so that we could change each other. If so, by changing, maybe we're losing our need for each other. But I think it would be okay too. We seem similar, but we're different in small ways. As we meet new people and say goodbyes, we will probably continue to change.

No, this is no time to be satisfied by my conclusion on my own! We still don't know anything for sure!

And let us promise. Even if something like that should happen someday, we will never forget the various feelings we experienced together.

Feb 25, 2012 10:44 PM
Feb 2012
It was so good in the begining, and in the middle I guess to, but after a while I felt that I was just watching it to get it over with already. The animation started getting kinda crappy and I wonder why they left us hangng at the end like that...
Mar 26, 2012 3:11 PM

Mar 2012
I want to know what happens in the manga with the relationship between everyone?
How does it end in the manga ?
Apr 12, 2012 2:59 PM

Dec 2008
All I have to say is that I can't believe they ended it like that. I'm pissed. Very dissapointed anyway.. I can understand them having to make shittier episodes due to money problems but seriously? To end it like that. Bull. Why hasn't there been a second season made since the manga ended in 05? >.< Wish I just read the manga...

Overall, I gave this series a 7/10.

Jun 17, 2012 4:45 PM

Nov 2011
Meh, the final episode wasn't extravagant at all but still, I did enjoy this series. I wish they did focus a bit more on the drama and romance rather than the comedy. Oh well, 6/10 series for me.
Jun 23, 2012 2:09 PM
Mar 2012
the ending was definitely a cliff hanger but i wasnt bothered much b it i mean i hated the ending but i knew that the manga had a better ending and stuff so as long as it just didnt really end the way it did then anything was fine with me.
Jul 2, 2012 11:01 AM
Sep 2011
I don't really know what to think about this anime's conclusion. As the end drew nearer, I was counting down the episodes and trying to figure out how they'd fit the relevant material into an increasingly shrinking amount of screen time. "Okay, if they have the play in episode 25 and a dramatic reunion between the leads in 26 it could work, although it would be a little cramped..." Needless to say, they didn't. The strange animation style gave the whole thing a surreal feel, but I didn't mind that so much. Nor did I mind that it ended with a focus on Sakura and Tonami as a couple, instead of Yukino and Arima. That was kind of nice; it had a sense of coming full circle with a new couple being formed. But Yukino and Arima deserved some sort of resolution, and I was disappointed that they didn't get it. The disproportionate amount of time spent on the slow leadup to the culture fest and the sheer amount of recap episodes really messed up the pacing, and my enjoyment of the series decreased towards the end. Still, I'm glad I watched Kare Kano, and although it wasn't as good as the manga, it did an okay job trying.
Jul 16, 2012 12:28 AM

Aug 2010
This could've been a very good romance anime (it even made me feel awkward in some scenes :S) but GAINAX messed it pretty bad by the end, also why the hell so many recaps?? :l they should've take those episodes to give this a proper end.
Jul 26, 2012 6:20 PM

Jun 2008
Wow, what the hell.... SO disappointed... :| And they never even got back to Tsubasa and her step-brother. Screw this series.
Oct 17, 2012 10:05 AM
Jun 2012
what the!!!!arghfks!@#$%^&* what was that???

that was so totally half assed!!
sorry to say this but i think they got bored after yukino and arima made love!!
waaaaa..im thinking of meaner things right now but sorry
i was just so disappointed

good thing i read the manga first..and the manga was like one of my favorite manga of all time!!!!

oh well..i'll just read the manga again to rid myself of this frustration Y.Y
Oct 25, 2012 9:20 AM

Mar 2012
What a dull, lifeless, impersonal finale. This whole final arc was relatively dull, but this takes the cake. So much retread ground, too many recaps, far too meandering, loss of it's initial charm and sense of humor, so much left unresolved; This whole final arc just wasn't nearly as good as the rest of the show. Hell, the rest of the show just wasn't as good as the first four episodes. Disappointing. This series had so much potential. I guess I'll need to read the manga to get something resembling a satisfying conclusion without all the dicking around.
Oct 31, 2012 7:21 AM
Oct 2012
I am still waiting and hoping for a second season T_T
Nov 9, 2012 8:44 PM
Mar 2008
megumichibi said:

13 years? ^^
Nov 22, 2012 4:33 PM

Jun 2011
I got bored with the anime right around the time the series had the change of directors. To tell you the truth I barely enjoyed the love development between the two main characters and only looked forward seeing the drama unfold amongst minor and supporting characters. As a result, at around the beginning of the 14 Days arc I just decided to read overviews of the series to give me the basic understanding of the ending. As long as I have a basic understanding of how this anime will end it is marked as completed.
Nov 22, 2012 4:36 PM

Jun 2011
megumichibi said:

I read on a website that the creator of the series cancelled a second season because they felt that the producers mainly focused on the comedy portion of anime (I didn't find anything really funny though) and less on the romance.
Jan 14, 2013 12:16 AM

Jan 2013
With nowhere else for Gainax to go, the show ends on an experiment: Can you animate the emotion of the show's source, without sacrificing the purity of those emotions? Is it even possible to just use parts of the manga itself? For the most part, yes, it does, and in way, the style that defined has now returned in some fashion, thanks to Anno back writing the script on this episode.

Too bad such experimentation and promise had to be the finale of an entire series.
"ultimately I want to show a little reality in my works."-Hideaki Anno
Feb 25, 2013 3:09 PM

Oct 2011
Wow, how can one make so miserable last episodes? It started very promising but the end was really, really bad. The last screen hints to a second season which could have continued the story and everything would be fine, but because it never came this ending was probably the worst I've ever seen in an anime.. Holy shit..

I thought it was a decent 8/10 but with this ending it can't be above 7/10.. if it wasn't for the brilliant comedy in this show, the score would be even lower, because nothing in either of the relationships is clear right now..
Apr 22, 2013 9:20 PM

Jan 2013
7/10 Worse then the cliffhanger nonending in NANA.

If this was done in 2012 by Kyoto animation with an artstyle as good as Hyouka this would have been absolutely amazing. The source material and dialogue was great up to around episode 20. The animation was always horrible/cheap, very little movement.
Apr 24, 2013 9:30 AM

May 2012
This last episode was really lacking proper animation and well color as well!
Like thought the story didn't properly ended as it was way to short even if the last episode was some more development it would still be to short. With this last episode they more or less just put everything together, but stopped animating all together and just showed random images with some voice over and dialogue...

The kiss in the first part was rather nice and for them that was some good development closure.

The second part was more or less the same but was also not really interesting to finish it.

The global story started quite nice as sometimes especially the start had quite nice story and character development put together with some new characters which really were interesting!

Especially loved Tsubasa Shibahime of being that cute and her own arc was pretty nice as well, further on the story she was just a character to make you laugh by the expression and small moments she had in the background!

The other characters in the story were pretty decent had their own good development with the two main protagonists and in the end made it a stable story.

Although now with this last episode things really just got to random and felt rushed, which is rather unfortunate.

In the end this anime was rather decent but could have had a better ending and build up towards the end, less recaps and just better animation in general!

With this cliffhanger ending or more to say a TO CONTINUE ending was pretty weak... if there ever will be a sequel to this I might watch it although I then really hope the animation and art will be done properly!
May 6, 2013 10:54 AM
Dec 2010
I quite liked main story and basically first 1/2-2/3 of it which was about the two of them but show went downhill very deeply and that was even more apparent with bad directing and inconsistent animation style.
6/10 from me.
(if they released it without all recaps, useless crap episodes, real-life shots to save budget and all around repeated complains about totally unrelated financial crisis. It could have been made into very good 12 episodes of romantic comedy and i would have rated it at least 8/10)
Sent with Mal Updater
greenmartyMay 6, 2013 10:57 AM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jun 16, 2013 1:41 AM

Feb 2013
Pretty much disappointing ending but a great series (besides all the fillers, recaps, and experimental art styles) overall. All the side stories were really good and loved the romantic interests that developed in the series. Wish they developed on the main romance a bit more. Series had a lot of potential sadly the last few episodes were a bit all over the place. I think this series would be great for a remake.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Jun 23, 2013 7:46 PM

Aug 2011
Krissirk said:
Pretty much disappointing ending but a great series (besides all the fillers, recaps, and experimental art styles) overall. All the side stories were really good and loved the romantic interests that developed in the series. Wish they developed on the main romance a bit more. Series had a lot of potential sadly the last few episodes were a bit all over the place. I think this series would be great for a remake.

remake? that would be incredibly awesome, with the nowaday graphics just imagine how much better it could be, if such a thing were to occur i would sincerely hope the director would keep to the manga as close as possible to prevent a repeat disaster. That being said it probably won't happen but it's cool to think about right?
"Even if the morrow is barren of promises... nothing shall forestall my return!"

Jul 22, 2013 3:41 PM

Jun 2012
So, they only had enough money left in their budget to animate 8% of the episode?

The other 92% was just monochrome still images with voice overs. It was like watching someone read a manga to you.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Jul 22, 2013 4:03 PM

Jun 2012
Alipio said:
Wow, this ending was worse than the ending of School Days. I mean it. >:(

I thought the ending was the reason people even bothered to watch School Days at all. Seriously, the ending is the only thing about it that actually gives you a modicum of satisfaction.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Dec 4, 2013 10:01 PM

May 2012
Waaa... now, I need to read the manga.. seems like that i am seeing a bad vibes from Arima. And I wanna know what happened between Tonami and Sakura.. the ending looks like a manga with an narrator.
Dec 6, 2013 2:50 PM

Feb 2008
lol... seriously?

I'm not even sure what to rate this show. The majority of it was a solid 8 and the last bit is more like a 3.
Mar 5, 2014 3:00 AM

Feb 2013
Geez, that was bad. I did really enjoy the show though if you count out the recaps and a bit of filler. Anybody know where to start in the manga from this point in the show?
Jul 27, 2014 8:15 PM

May 2014
My god, that was BADDD. It even said, look forward to next time at the end lol. That was misleading. No closure, except for the reassurance that Yukino and Arima had sex. Wow. I don't even want to read the manga now. This episode felt like reading a narrated manga that flipped pages for you. Heck, I don't even know if the things that happened black and white were real or not. This left a SOUR taste in my mouth. Maybe I'll just read the last chapter of the manga and ruin the show for me. K peace bye.
_Dazzle_Jul 27, 2014 8:20 PM
Sep 7, 2014 6:32 PM

Aug 2012
Thank God I didn't buy this series. Episode 1-18 were really good. 19-26? Recaps and an unsatisfying ending. Good God...
Sep 13, 2014 8:54 AM

Jan 2009
Nano1124 said:
Geez, that was bad. I did really enjoy the show though if you count out the recaps and a bit of filler. Anybody know where to start in the manga from this point in the show?

vol 7
Sep 13, 2014 8:54 AM

Jan 2009
koroX said:
weee, that ending sucked. The last episodes was really bad, but the rest of the anime was great. ^^

We didn't even get to watch the play...

true! the play is amazing -based on manga
Sep 13, 2014 8:55 AM

Jan 2009
rebelakuma said:
Waaa... now, I need to read the manga.. seems like that i am seeing a bad vibes from Arima. And I wanna know what happened between Tonami and Sakura.. the ending looks like a manga with an narrator.

read the manga :3
Sep 13, 2014 8:56 AM

Jan 2009
jjredster said:
Krissirk said:

remake? that would be incredibly awesome, with the nowaday graphics just imagine how much better it could be, if such a thing were to occur i would sincerely hope the director would keep to the manga as close as possible to prevent a repeat disaster. That being said it probably won't happen but it's cool to think about right?

I WANT A REMAKE FROM VOL1-21
and make it better than the original!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE
and COLLECT the DVDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so, they will not restrict the budget anymore.

//cryes
Oct 10, 2014 1:13 AM

Apr 2014
I loved the fact that the animation was innovative with real pictures and manga-style. Never seen it before. The music was good and a wide range of characters were explained. But the ending episoded left so many things open. Like a drawed circle who is not complete, maybe just half-drawn or in three-quarters, but not full, 360 degrees... It doesn't mean that it must not have a cliffhanger at the end or the fact that we can imagine the continuing by ourselves. But in this case, it didn't work. And there is no second season i guess, the manga is fully drawn.

The fact that the other episodes were really cool saves the anime imo. I gave 7, but it could have been 8 or 9 if it wasn't for the last episodes who kinda ruined this cool anime.
"If the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Oct 12, 2014 6:37 PM
Aug 2014
Best episode ever!!! Lol but really what happened haha the anime up to around episode 19 was pretty good I'd give a 7-8 but then after like eipsode 19 came fillers and weird stuff that made no sense. The ending was way to open... why did they focus on Tonami and Skaura instead of Arima and Yukino is beyond me... and that change of art style was quite random... I guess that's what happens when you're on a really tight budget lol
Oct 27, 2014 2:22 AM
Apr 2013
This wasn't even that bad come on -_-
I enjoyed it as much as all the other episodes
Dec 23, 2014 6:32 PM

Sep 2013
Hated it :( Arima and Yukino story was over for me already wanted to see Tonami and Sakura and they simply throw sh*t at us right at it...
Jan 16, 2015 4:53 AM

Jul 2013
The "bad ending" isn't exactly bad ending. It's not that the studio fucked up and made shitty ending. The last episode wasn't suppose to be last episode which is why the series doesn't have conclusion.

Blame the manga's author that made it unpossible to continue the series.

Shame that the season didn't end on the 24th episode because at least then the series would have at least had some sort of wrap up.
Apr 11, 2015 7:59 PM
Mar 2015
It is disappointing the ending of the anime but I needed answers. and I loved the anime so much I went onto the manga.
May 28, 2015 12:17 PM

Jul 2009
I am so disappointed with this end :(
All the recaps was a pain, yes, but I was expecting they would give it an ending, even knowing that tha manga have more than 100 chapters, I thought they would give a closure to Arima's jealous and Tonami's feelings for Sakura, it was a good serie, I blame the director. 7/10
Sep 14, 2015 8:33 PM

Apr 2013
Oh my it's finally over. Had to force myself through the last 3 episodes.
The biggest problem with this series was the length. It would have been perfect with half the amount of episodes. But someone was way too greedy and tried to make more on the empty pockets.
Might be worth to check out the manga and see how the story concludes.

bittersweetlove said:
I am so disappointed with this end :(
All the recaps was a pain, yes, but I was expecting they would give it an ending, even knowing that tha manga have more than 100 chapters, I thought they would give a closure to Arima's jealous and Tonami's feelings for Sakura, it was a good serie, I blame the director. 7/10

Don't blame Anno :(

It's the fucking producers fault and the original creator!!!
Always-HungrySep 14, 2015 8:37 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 3 Discussion

philautia_ - Jun 19, 2009

38 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Oct 21, 2008

69 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 11:18 AM

» Kare Kano

Lilly1x - Feb 8, 2009

2 by mokkocchi »»
Apr 2, 9:41 AM

» Best DVD quality for Kare Kano?!! (Some releases look better than others apparently...?)

LoganJones - Apr 13, 2019

2 by GreatAide »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Does anyone else agree that this anime deserves a remake the most?

KaiserVonGogureo - Sep 23, 2022

11 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 25, 7:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.