Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 17, 2020 5:24 AM

Oct 2012
Depends how its executed. I couldn’t watch past episode 1 of Kaguya-sama because of the narrator even after trying twice.
May 17, 2020 5:27 AM

Nov 2017
nope... i rather like anime that had narrators than an anime that doesnt have one
Now Loading.....
May 17, 2020 7:04 AM
Dec 2019
The narrator in Kaguya Sama Love is War is funny af
I would also say that Arima (Your Lie In April) is some sort of a First Person narrator which I really enjoyed.

Haven't really watched other shows with a narrator but it can work, if it's either funny or if it's some sort of a "first person/inner monologue" narrator.
May 17, 2020 9:05 AM

Aug 2018
Having a narrator might as well be one of my least favourite tropes in all of anime, it especially in shows that are supposed to sell you on the atmosphere and world, ones that let you figure out what's happening in the world instead of babysitting you through it. Using a narrator in that case is usually a downgrade

The one time it could work is if the narrator is kind of a character itself, maybe if its interacting with the characters for a comedic effect or if it at least got some personality to it

Almost all the good memories i have from narrators are either when they had their own personality and used it for a comedic effect or if the narrator somehow manages to keep it in the theme and not break your immersion
May 17, 2020 9:11 AM

Apr 2011
No, the narrator in Kaiji is awesome.
May 17, 2020 9:14 AM
Jul 2018
I think in Kaiji, a narrator works well to explain the complex tactics the characters are using during the gambles.
In Jojo, the narrator can be hilarious to overemphasize on what's going on.
But in general, I don't like narrators.

IKKIsama said:
No, the narrator in Kaiji is awesome.

MAX!
May 17, 2020 9:21 AM

Aug 2017
The narrator in JoJo's Bizzare Adventure (Tooru Ookawa/David Vincent) is a shining example of what narrators should strive to be.

Narration can also work well when the narrator also voices one or more of the characters in said show (ex. Marina Inoue/Josh Grelle in Attack on Titan, Jouji Yanami/Brice Armstrong/Kyle Hebert in DBZ, Iemasa Kayumi/Kent Williams in FMA, etc.)
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
May 17, 2020 9:25 AM

Nov 2008
I think it's kinda cheesy unless a character is actually doing it. (DBZ was major cheese)

Kyon on the other hand was a great narrator for Haruhi. Snark Level MAX. xD

May 17, 2020 11:41 AM

Oct 2012
It depends. Over-narration is an obvious flaw. Narration should introduce some new perspective. It should be brief. Often, narration is used to be lazy about the scenarios they could animate. This was especially obvious in shows like Kaiji or Jojo. In Kaiji, it was practically a frame every 10 seconds, like reading over a picture book. In Jojo, they just had to dumb everything down and explain everything that's happening on screen as if we either don't see that, or they could not find a better way to depict it.

In HxH, the narration gave us some insight into the psychology of characters, but they did play that out. It worked, until they got too comfortable with it.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 17, 2020 11:45 AM

Sep 2009
It really depends how well they're used. I can't think of an anime example off the top of my head, but for live-action I know that I just couldn't watch Pushing Daisies because the narration annoyed me too much, even though I loved all other elements of the show. But sometimes, especially if the protagonist is narrating, it can be a great look into their character.
May 17, 2020 11:48 AM

Jun 2016
I actually like all the narrators OP listed apart from HxH. Kaiji is funny, rainbow has a hot voice and lotgh follows the convention of a lot of old anime narrators which I'll admit requires a bit getting used to.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 17, 2020 11:49 AM

Mar 2020
I think it can be good, it can be bad. My thoughts don't really go beyond that.
It entirely depends on a case by case basis determined by execution and relevance.
May 17, 2020 11:50 AM

Jun 2019
As many people have already said, it depends for me.

The narrator in Hunter x Hunter 2011 is useful for providing exposition and background details as the story progresses. However, the narrator in Ookami & The Seven Companions isn't necessary (although the dub VA for the narrator has a lovely voice) and seems a lazy way to introduce each new scene.

Done well using a narrator in an anime can be a great tool for story telling, but if poorly executed then a narrator can feel like a superfluous tassel added onto an anime to look nice & draw attention away from its lacklustre story telling.
May 17, 2020 11:53 AM
Oct 2018
I only hate the narrator in yuuna haunted hotsprings just fucking annoying
May 17, 2020 11:54 AM

Feb 2015
Nothing beats the Dragon Ball Z narrator. That was the ultimate cheese, and it was delicious.
May 17, 2020 12:43 PM
May 2019
Depends on the execution but for the most part I don't like them.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes has the best narrator since it integrates it in the overall story giving it historical documentary vibes.
On the other hand HxH narration during Chimera Ant Arc was just plain horrible.
May 17, 2020 3:48 PM

Dec 2016
Xstasy said:
Depends on the execution but for the most part I don't like them.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes has the best narrator since it integrates it in the overall story giving it historical documentary vibes.

I get what they are trying to do with the narrator in logh, but my problem with that narrator is that he spoils stuff and makes unnecessary comments.
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
May 17, 2020 4:28 PM

Oct 2019
There are some anime that do an incredible job and do add onto the story comedically as a great example for me it would be Kaguya-sama:Love is war..i dont hate them but there arent many anime that ive seen that have them :)
May 17, 2020 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
no but the First-Person Smartass narrator sucks balls
May 17, 2020 6:06 PM

Aug 2018
It really depends on the show and how they are utilised.
The narrator of Kaguya-sama is quite.The show wouldn't be such fun if it wasn't for the narrator.It's over the top deliveries add to the charm.

The narration in HxH was good but it went overboard.It says'"Pouf and Youpi felt happiness like never before when they saw Meruem was alive".Yes,I could see it myself on the screen.The narrator treats as if I have Alzheimer and need every information to be spoonfed.This is insulting to the viewer.I don't know if the narrator or Hisoka said it but I loved,"Bungee gum has the properties of both rubber and gum"
sonofbatmanrp13May 17, 2020 6:20 PM
May 17, 2020 6:34 PM

Dec 2019
Nah not really, the only narrator i hate is the one from LoGH that stupid bitch was spoiling major events being a smartass cause he had nothing else to say.
                                                         🖤   

May 17, 2020 6:52 PM
Aug 2013
I don't like them. but I dont hate them either
May 17, 2020 7:24 PM

Oct 2019
Eh, they are fine. as long as they aren’t overdone it’s fine.

In HxH the narrator was definitely overused in the beginning portions of the palace invasion but as the invasion went on the narrator was used less and had much more enjoyment. I definitely see the need for it as it adds a lot of details and allows for a lot of interesting insights into characters (who would be thinking about themselves in the midst of a battle?) but I think the anime shouldn’t have been 100% accurate to the manga in that regard. The use of the narrator worked better for the manga as it allowed people to slow down and really process what is happening.

In kaguya I love the narrator. Whenever he interjects it always adds so much to the comedy. Some jokes require additional information that the character can’t think of themselves hence the importance of the narrator.

All in all. Narrators can be necessary as long as they don’t overdo it. Even then however I will never understand why people think narrators completely ruin shows for them. At worst like in HxH it was just an annoyance, not a huge detriment to the actual story.
May 17, 2020 8:38 PM

Dec 2018
Anti Chimera Ant arc fags are approaching uncontrollably. Yeah I hate narrators in CA arc coz it treats us viewers like 10 yo or some shit, is what I should say.

Okay, maybe there are parts that is just redundant to narrate but that's like, what, 3 lines? Other narrating part feels seamless and even important.

And also, you people claim how the narrator makes "things" obvious, but it's not like he spews some straight-up spoon-feeding bs like "This is the part where the parallel journey in finding morality and losing morality begins" or "This is where Netero and Meruem have an ideological conflict talks in between their exchange of attacks, [proceeds to explain the ideologies both hold]" or "This highlights the theme of rebirth, cleanse and confession, redemption and the ambiguity of morality...", like fucking c'mon. It makes the plot more obvious, but it never makes what it tries to imply any clearer. Shut up and analyze shit, throw away that "what I see is what I get" mindset rn.
. . .
May 17, 2020 9:09 PM

Feb 2013
Sabagebu! had a narrator, and it was awesome!
May 17, 2020 9:50 PM

Dec 2013
I think a narrator can either be a plus or minus for me. For instance, I like the narrator in Kaguya. He is hilarious.
May 17, 2020 9:53 PM
Jan 2019
Kaguya-sama would like to speak with you
May 17, 2020 9:55 PM

Oct 2012
Korishi said:
no but the First-Person Smartass narrator sucks balls
Kyon was the original First Person Smartass, as far as I can tell.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 17, 2020 10:38 PM

Jul 2019
No. I kinda love them. My favorurites are the Narrator for Kaguya Sama and or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
May 17, 2020 10:40 PM

Oct 2019
Well, I don't hate ALL narrators, but there are some that I cannot stand.

May 18, 2020 12:38 AM
Apr 2020
You right! because there was one in HunterxHunter when the narrator keep going on during the ant arc
May 18, 2020 12:41 AM

Feb 2020
Depends.

The narrator in Kaguya-sama is great. Prolly the best. Show woulda been different without him.
The narrator in HxH is the most annoying. One of the reasons I didn't enjoy CAA much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2020 12:47 AM

Jun 2010
Hate? No, why should I hate narrators? In any case, if narrating becomes the main part of the show, then the production needs to be reviewed stat.
May 18, 2020 1:07 AM

May 2018
I think I disagree Daac. As much as that pains me bro.

Especially in LoGH I think the narrator is really important in giving specific context about scenes which otherwise wouldn't be possible through simple dialogue between characters. And considering it has a world full of characters so intricate, so every little bit of context helps for the viewer to gain a better picture of what's going on. Sure there are some pitfalls in utilizing a narrator, but I still think it is necessary for a show like LoGH.

However you also probably gotta consider things in a case by case basis. Some shows benefit more than others from having a specific narrator with an omniscient perspective.
May 18, 2020 3:29 AM

Nov 2017
Most of them yes for some reason I hated the kaguyasama narrator but the one in baka & test was good.

plz @ me
May 18, 2020 3:37 AM

May 2020
Personally , I hate narrators in animes. It feels like a kid show with narrators , like we can't understand it ? I seriously can't stand narrators
May 18, 2020 3:42 AM

Apr 2017
No, at all.

Actually I would dare to say the narrator was the reason why the CA arc of HxH was beautiful.
He made basically all the scenes intense as fuck. I really liked the fact that they decided to direct it like this. Without the narrator the Chimera Ant would've been damn annoying.
May 18, 2020 3:46 AM

May 2019
The narrator from Hunter X Hunter was used sometimes too much for my enjoyment...
May 18, 2020 5:19 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
I rather like narrators. To me, they never spoiled anything. They belong to the series themselves.

May 18, 2020 10:23 AM

Dec 2017
i cant say i hate them because theres love is war that i liked alot but if the anime is good and the narrator isnt begin a pain in the ass so i dont mind
Don't fuck up the present, it's connected to your future!
May 18, 2020 10:30 AM

Jan 2018
Well I would personally use a ruler to manually hide the subtitles in real time when push comes to shove.
May 18, 2020 10:46 AM

Sep 2014
That is precisely the thing I hate the most in anime. I recently watched Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi and it was incredibly annoying. She speaks all the time even over the other characters and she says things that are visibly false. It's the worst narrator I've ever seen in anime.

The only moment a narrator should be used is in the beginning of an episode or the beginning of a new scene to add some context that would be too difficult to put into dialogue, other than that, keep the narrator locked in the closet until next time.
May 18, 2020 11:17 AM

Feb 2012
Nope and in some cases they are even needed for the show and hilarious.
Kaguya-sama // Hayate no Gotoku for example.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

May 18, 2020 1:59 PM

Nov 2019
im not a big fan of narrators at all. i've been watching HxH and i think it's taken away from the experience.
May 18, 2020 3:40 PM

Aug 2009
I usually don't mind it but I do agree that sometimes for example in HxH the narrator just won't shut up
May 18, 2020 4:12 PM

Oct 2015
Legend of the Galactic Heroes narrator is decent, though it can get overbearing at times, especially when he starts to explain the psychological state of major characters after significant events has happened and it can fuck the mood. Think of it like the theatrical release of the original Blade Runner, that level of bad. Otherwise it's p good.
May 18, 2020 4:13 PM

Feb 2019
Narrators are pretty cool, as long as they don't become the main character.
May 18, 2020 4:53 PM

Nov 2011
TheZilla said:
Narrators are pretty cool, as long as they don't become the main character.

I don’t know, a narrator who becomes the main character might be an interesting concept to play with.

Yes, I’m intentionally misunderstanding you. Sorry.
May 18, 2020 5:39 PM

Jul 2016
I think that the narrator ruined the ant arc in HxH, I detested it because of that.
It is okay for pointing out things that aren't obvious, but to put it for every little shit a character does, this is just absurdly stupid.
The thing is, they don't actually check if what they are doing is good or not, they just finish it and release it to the public.

"We become what we think about"

If you want to succeed in life, plant the next goal you want to achieve in your brain, and work toward achieving that goal. write as specifically as you can the path you need to go through to get to the goal, and If that is really what you wished for, work toward it, and you will achieve it.
Blog

May 18, 2020 5:43 PM

Dec 2014
DBZ narrator is legendary. But yeah, maybe for HxH the narration can get excessive
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - 6 hours ago

15 by LostSpectre »»
24 seconds ago

» what is the best slice of life anime and why ?

ame - Apr 30

33 by JoeChip »»
1 minute ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

70 by LostSpectre »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

117 by LostSpectre »»
7 minutes ago

» Best pink haired girl? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Jan 22

57 by Lhundrup »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.