New
Mar 17, 2020 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
Anime Discussion Thread
Anime Discussion Thread
removed-userJun 10, 2021 3:20 AM
Mar 17, 2020 11:06 AM

Jul 2016
I mean the obvious answer is yes casual clothes do work better in bringing put the personality of the character in question.But as someone else once said,little things like how they wear their uniforms can also help inform us of their personality,so it's not like there isn't a way you could get around this problem.
Mar 17, 2020 11:26 AM

Nov 2013
1. It is possible to distinguish between characters with how they are wearing their uniforms.
2. That's what scenes taking place outside of school are for. But in some cases, for example Yuki Nagato, them wearing the school uniform even outside of school is telling us something about their personality.

You might want to change the second picture of Haruhi Suzumiya, by the way.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 17, 2020 11:34 AM

Aug 2018
I personally don't. I enjoy my school uniforms. Characters get their other outfits anyway, usually.
Mar 17, 2020 11:38 AM

Nov 2008
Mashiroiro Symphony comes to mind and Ange wearing a maid oufit or Re:Stage with Mizuha wearing a yukata to school. Most school uniforms are kind of bland.

Mar 17, 2020 11:39 AM

Nov 2013
ProfessionalNEET said:
TheBigGuy said:
You might want to change the second picture of Haruhi Suzumiya, by the way.

How come? Is it not actually Haruhi?

It is her. But she's wearing Kyon's PE uniform in that picture, so it's not a good example for casual clothes (Yes, I'm a pedant for small details sometimes).
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 17, 2020 11:44 AM

Jul 2017
I don't mind school uniforms as the default because they tend to look good anyway. The weird part though is when they default to using them because they're too lazy to come up with any other clothes, like KanColle there was a scene where a group of girls couldn't sleep so they decided to go outside in the middle of the night, but for whatever reason they just had to put on their entire uniforms on lol
Mar 17, 2020 11:47 AM
May 2015
Japan employs school uniforms. Always have, and always will.

Mar 17, 2020 11:49 AM

Aug 2017
they wear whatever they want outside of school. Is that not enough? I think its fine
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2020 11:50 AM

Nov 2013
Also, if I'm not mistaken Japanese students are required to wear their school uniform even outside of school respectively to go straight home, so they could get in trouble if they're spotted in casual clothes by a teacher (student council?).
Mar 17, 2020 11:53 AM

Nov 2013
Short_Circut said:
I don't mind school uniforms as the default because they tend to look good anyway. The weird part though is when they default to using them because they're too lazy to come up with any other clothes, like KanColle there was a scene where a group of girls couldn't sleep so they decided to go outside in the middle of the night, but for whatever reason they just had to put on their entire uniforms on lol

I agree, scenes like that are a bit weird.
Mar 17, 2020 12:04 PM

Nov 2019
No. The uniforms are part of the kawaii package and part of the whole cultural difference thing that makes anime unique compared to western stuff. If you're not gonna have uniforms, then you might as well remove students cleaning their schools, bowing to teachers, throwing cultural festivals, changing from their street shoes, shunning delinquents, and all the other little things when taken as a whole reflect the Japanese mindset with respect to social harmony and the purpose of education.

If you pay attention to what the characters say, how they behave, and how other characters receive them, then you shouldn't need clothing differences to better distinguish them. The idea of clothing bringing out personality is a post-WWII Madison Avenue invention meant to sell us more crap.
Mar 17, 2020 12:08 PM
Jul 2018
at least in anime the uniforms are aesthetically designed to stand out unlike the boring uniforms real life Japanese students have to wear
Mar 17, 2020 12:31 PM
Feb 2017
TheBigGuy said:
ProfessionalNEET said:

How come? Is it not actually Haruhi?

It is her. But she's wearing Kyon's PE uniform in that picture, so it's not a good example for casual clothes (Yes, I'm a pedant for small details sometimes).

If Haruhi would always wear a PE uniform, I’d be perfectly fine with that.
Mar 17, 2020 1:21 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, I actually had a thread about this myself a month ago where I argue for anime not having HS uniforms(Proof).

I actually just finished watching a show with an interesting character design in it:

Gothic lolita fashion is fairly rare, so I love seeing it. A lot of characters who typically wear clothes like these have a mysterious, traditionally feminine and cunning side to them. Dark colors also connect the character with a more devious type of persona(because the devil/Halloween is traditionally connected to colors like red and black), in this case, the character grants any wish through chocolates in which she takes something valuable in return which can range from sad memories to making a character into a piano via taking a human form(this also connects to the mystery as darkness hides things). Meanwhile, the laces and frails make her appear upper class and more traditionally feminine, both of which are fairly true about her, as she lives in a mansion and is a chocolate maker(something more associated with older types feminity).
Mar 17, 2020 1:31 PM

Jul 2016
No. Fuck you. You can't flash your panties if you're not wearing a skirt.
Mar 17, 2020 1:34 PM

Dec 2015
It exist a lot of animes out there where the studios is to cheap to design new cloth for each day, so when the character is outside of school they awlays is using the same sort of cloth trough the whole year.

So it dosen't really matter does it as most studio don't really care about casual clothing.

But I do love School uniforms, especially if the girls got tights too, oof.
But, it exist so many school uniforms out there and in most cases they are really neat looking and well designed :)

Mar 17, 2020 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
No. Fuck you. You can't flash your panties if you're not wearing a skirt.
2 of his examples had skirts and is something could be easily placed in the design without the school uniform.
Mar 17, 2020 1:47 PM

Jun 2017
I've never had to really wear a school uniform, so to see it present in this separate form of media is something I tend to more enjoy than not.

But the presence of uniforms is obviously part of the cultural thing.
But whether you have uniforms, or don't have uniforms, I don't really care.

If an anime decides to do something in relation to that and it works, then sure it works. As said by several others, many stories get around the boring over-uniformity aspect by having the characters show their ... character, in other ways even with the uniforms. Hair, the way they wear their uniform, manner of speaking, whatever else they wear, and hell even the way they walk with their legs (K-ON).

If you can express your character visually and it works, then it works. I guess if having everyone wear casual clothes rather uniforms is a way of visually expressing your characters that you can go with, then sure, if it works - great!
Mar 17, 2020 2:04 PM
May 2019
I like anime school uniforms and how colorful and varied they can be irl they are boring by comparison :/
In Japanese schools uniforms are mandatory, that's why they are present in anime to make it more relatable.
Mar 17, 2020 2:30 PM

Nov 2013
@ProfessionalNEET

Agreed. It's one of these "if you get caught" rules, I guess.

@BlakexEkalb

Boys or girls?

Mar 17, 2020 4:25 PM
Feb 2017
TheBigGuy said:
@ProfessionalNEET

@BlakexEkalb

Boys or girls?

Girls of course. I’m not a gay boi. Haruhi is hot af in the gym uniform and a pony tail.
Mar 17, 2020 4:43 PM

Nov 2013
BlakexEkalb said:
TheBigGuy said:
@ProfessionalNEET

@BlakexEkalb

Boys or girls?

Girls of course. I’m not a gay boi. Haruhi is hot af in the gym uniform and a pony tail.

I see, I see. One true man of culture.

Mar 19, 2020 9:29 PM

Sep 2018
Omg yes I would love that so much. i hate the concept of uniforms from the bottom of my heart. Tho japanese watchers would feel alienated so they won't do that.
Mar 19, 2020 9:58 PM

Aug 2015
As someone who went to school using uniform for 12 years... I can't really relate tbh.. XD
If anime suddenly not using uniform in school, i will feel a bit weird.. although ... i don't really mind it.. XD
For example, the upcoming anime Hamefura school setting didn't use a uniform. But they still using the exact same clothes everyday, lol. XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Mar 19, 2020 10:01 PM

Dec 2019
I don't really care tbh school uniforms give a good vibe, we can always see them with casual clothing anytime.
                                                         🖤   

Mar 19, 2020 10:03 PM
Jan 2012
I'd rather we didn't revisit the high school setting as often, but if we have to deal with it, then yes they should have uniforms. We all know by now that Japanese high schools have uniforms, to just have casual wear in an anime is incredibly jarring.

If they were gonna go the school route while letting the characters have casual clothes, then they need to do college settings. At least that isn't as immersion breaking
Mar 19, 2020 10:18 PM

Oct 2019
I've always had to wear uniforms, so I think it'd be more weird to see them not wearing any to school.
Mar 20, 2020 2:13 AM
Jan 2012
ProfessionalNEET said:
OnionKnightRises said:
If they were gonna go the school route while letting the characters have casual clothes, then they need to do college settings. At least that isn't as immersion breaking

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing more college settings, especially since I'm a college student myself. In addition to there not being uniforms, it create more variety for settings. I found the college setting in Golden Time somewhat refreshing for those reasons.

It would be nice to see it more often. College students vary, when I was 18 I was still just like my teenage self so seeing a childish, high school-esque student in college wouldn't feel out of place, and they could still have more mature characters as well. The teachers are typically considered part of the cast in school anime, but with college it's much easier to create normal conversations with the teachers and students since everyone's an adult, in college I conversed with my teachers and professors pretty casually.

It's probably not nearly as often utilized due to not every Japanese person having gone to college, and it's not nearly as nostalgic as high school and college is fairly stressful for most, but the potential for stories should trump that.
Mar 20, 2020 2:26 AM

Mar 2019
I like the high school uniforms in anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2020 2:31 AM
Jul 2018
To some extent yes I do.

Although there are some anime I can think where students don't always wear the same kind of uniform as others.

There's Assassination Classroom for example. While the uniform they wear is the same for the most part, some students (like Karma and Nagisa) also wear something different other than the regular uniform.
Mar 20, 2020 9:00 AM

Feb 2015
That's pretty much the case of target demographics, though the appeal of uniforms, at least for me, is you don't have to think what to wear for the day as long as they're laundered well. Uniforms too exemplifies the egalitarian ideals that were advocated by the great minds during the Age of Enlightenment. Rene Descartes was one of them whose wisdom still lingers until this day and the one who changed the way we see QT 3.14, being also a mathematician himself.
Mar 20, 2020 9:13 AM

Feb 2010
If the alternative is them not wearing any clothes count me in :>
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 20, 2020 9:22 AM

Apr 2015
That's gross, dude. No,really. @Pullman
Mar 20, 2020 9:45 AM

Feb 2010
Tylaen said:

Don't worry, it will be the same for the male characters so you're gonna have something to distract you from all those gross naked females :P.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 20, 2020 9:47 AM

Apr 2015
Pullman said:
Tylaen said:

Don't worry, it will be the same for the male characters so you're gonna have something to distract you from all those gross naked females :P.
An admirable dodging of the implications of my words. It's still gross.
Mar 20, 2020 9:48 AM
Apr 2018
I find it strange students not wearing uniforms of any kind (anime, live tv, real life, etc), so no, I don't. I personally preferred wearing one instead of casual clothes.
Mar 20, 2020 9:48 AM

Aug 2016
Uniforms don't bother me as much since there's at least several differences compared from one anime to another.

Characters from the same anime wearing uniforms in school also doesn't bother me since they're required. Despite me never wearing one and never willing to wear one, having to come up with different character clothing every day with every student in the classroom is rather excessive. They already spend a good number of time on character designs.

I'm more bothered by the same old school festival and other same shit I see in school settings. Although recently the Asteroid show school festival by the Earth Sciences club was a neat idea as they combined concepts and done it in a creative manner
Mar 20, 2020 10:06 AM

Oct 2010
I never thought about it, I kinda don't care, the important stuff is if I watch an ecchi anime, they better have skimpy clothes, I remember Ikkitousen with fondness, all of them had uniforms but the ecchi was great, pics for proof
CatalanoMar 20, 2020 10:09 AM
Mar 20, 2020 10:17 AM
Feb 2019
Because of my dislike towards some of today's clothing and having grown up in a place where cheap clothes are an everyday sight, I grew to love high school uniforms in japanese media. Elegant and properly-sized in which you can move pretty freely (unless you're a girl with short skirts of course). Of course I would take casual clothes for outside activities, but for school, I wouldn't have minded perfectly fitting clothes that noone comments on.
Mar 20, 2020 10:33 AM

May 2016
ProfessionalNEET said:
Haneken2086 said:
Japan employs school uniforms. Always have, and always will.

Yes, I know. I mentioned it my OP. However, I wouldn't be so certain that they will always employ uniforms. Educational policies change all the time, so it doesn't seem too far-fetched for uniforms to eventually hit the chopping block.

Japan is different from western society. Not a bunch of freaks like we have over here
Mar 20, 2020 11:42 AM

May 2016
ProfessionalNEET said:
Kayle_x_Morgana said:

Japan is different from western society. Not a bunch of freaks like we have over here

What do you mean by "freaks"? Do you mean people who don't like school uniforms? Also, be careful not to fall into that "grass is always greener" mindset. I bet if you actually lived in Japan you wouldn't find it to be any better than where you currently live (California according to your profile, which happens to be where I live as well).

I don't want to say who I'm talking about. Don't want to upset the shitty mods and get banned. I'll just say out of the ordinary people.

Also I know California is a shithole. Full of freaks I'm talking about and fruits. Japan isn't under PC rule so it would be better. Obviously I know the work ethic and other issues they have. No place is a paradise.
Mar 20, 2020 12:43 PM

Mar 2019
ProfessionalNEET said:
Kayle_x_Morgana said:

What do you mean by "freaks"? Do you mean people who don't like school uniforms? Also, be careful not to fall into that "grass is always greener" mindset. I bet if you actually lived in Japan you wouldn't find it to be any better than where you currently live (California according to your profile, which happens to be where I live as well).

Well if you live in California then the grass probably is greener just about everywhere 😂
Mar 20, 2020 6:45 PM

Mar 2019
ProfessionalNEET said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Well if you live in California then the grass probably is greener just about everywhere 😂

The main issue with California is the cost of living, but even that's going to vary depending on a number of factors, most notably where you live, how much money you make, and whether or not you own the place you live. I live in an area that's relatively inexpensive and my family owns our home without a mortgage, so cost of living isn't as big of an issue for me (at the moment) as it is for many other people. Beyond cost of living, California isn't really any worse off than any other part of the United States.

The streets of Los Angeles and San Francisco are full of shit, the homeless populations in those cities are some of the highest in the US. Colleges there literally conduct political tests on professors before they even consider their qualifications. Public schools have turned into woke culture indoctrination camps.

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

44 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

62 by -YaoiBoy- »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 5 hours ago

14 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
5 minutes ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 24 minutes ago

4 by Nemo_Niemand »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 10 hours ago

25 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.