Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
In/Spectre
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 15, 2020 6:37 PM

Apr 2015
Caught up today, I'm really enjoying this show. Each of the main characters is competent, charming, and realistic and it's honestly a breath of fresh air. The voice actors make the dialogue even more compelling to listen to. Can't wait for the rest of the season and then I'll most likely hop to the manga.
Feb 15, 2020 6:56 PM
Sep 2015
I actually watch this because I like that police officer boss, and now he's gone. I'll probably watch the next episode to make sure that he's really gone.
Feb 15, 2020 6:59 PM
Oct 2019
Anime though focus more on explanation, almost 1/3 of the episode is being used..Well, that's supposed to be since it's a supernatural one..
Feb 15, 2020 8:14 PM
Aug 2014
ZKisara said:
kingaron3 said:

I think Kuro has feelings for Iwanaga, he wouldn't have kept dating her if he didn't after all she just isn't his type. But I don't think the only reason Kuro started dating her is that he loves her, which I do think he does, by the way, the other is most likely because he has no one else. He seemingly has no family or other female acquaintance, and while he is very attractive he, for instance, gets hit on by the nurses in the hospital, he seemed too oblivious to notice. Presumably, most humans he would date would have a similar reaction to Saki if they learn the truth, which leaves humans out of the question. A that leaves him is Iwanaga, she loves every part of him even if she wishes he was lovely dovey. Because of stuff later in the manga, I do think that Kuro is in love with Iwanaga, it's just not equal since Iwanaga clearly has stronger feelings for Kuro then Kuro dose for her.

I have a longer idea about how to explain their relationship but I don't know if anyone would want to read that.

Nah, go on. This is what’s In/Spectre is all about. New theory’s and ideas.

I don't mean explain how they got together I mean explain their relationship dynamic since I think it kind of hard to explain exactly how their dynamic works in a normal relationship way. What came to me when I was reading one of the later chapters, was that Kuro is less like her boyfriend and more like a servent which kind of works since Iwanaga is a goddess of wisdom. Sure Iwanaga treats him like her boyfriend, but the way Kuro acts is less like he's dating her and more like he is a servent, familiar, or knight. He is protective of her, he takes care of her if she actually needs him, will ignore things Iwanaga says if he thinks it'll help her, and will literally die for her multiple times to help her achieve her goal so she's in less danger. Kuro is Immortal, doesn't feel pain, and will come back to life even when killed so death shouldn't be a big deal. But the thing is Kuro wants to live a normal life and repeatedly getting involved with Iwanaga and dying over and over again negates that whole plan. Kuro also said to someone in a later arc that probably won't get animated: "I don't know. If it weren't for her I don't think I'd know how to live." meaning I think Kuro views himself as indebted to Iwanaga and sees her as someone who gives his life meaning. I think Kuro does love her but that love is different than the love Iwanaga feels.

Of course, some people view this as a more familial relationship so I could be reading this all wrong, this is just my view of things.
kingaron3Feb 15, 2020 8:20 PM
Feb 15, 2020 8:43 PM
Aug 2018
kingaron3 said:
ZKisara said:

Nah, go on. This is what’s In/Spectre is all about. New theory’s and ideas.

I don't mean explain how they got together I mean explain their relationship dynamic since I think it kind of hard to explain exactly how their dynamic works in a normal relationship way. What came to me when I was reading one of the later chapters, was that Kuro is less like her boyfriend and more like a servent which kind of works since Iwanaga is a goddess of wisdom. Sure Iwanaga treats him like her boyfriend, but the way Kuro acts is less like he's dating her and more like he is a servent, familiar, or knight. He is protective of her, he takes care of her if she actually needs him, will ignore things Iwanaga says if he thinks it'll help her, and will literally die for her multiple times to help her achieve her goal so she's in less danger. Kuro is Immortal, doesn't feel pain, and will come back to life even when killed so death shouldn't be a big deal. But the thing is Kuro wants to live a normal life and repeatedly getting involved with Iwanaga and dying over and over again negates that whole plan. Kuro also said to someone in a later arc that probably won't get animated: "I don't know. If it weren't for her I don't think I'd know how to live." meaning I think Kuro views himself as indebted to Iwanaga and sees her as someone who gives his life meaning. I think Kuro does love her but that love is different than the love Iwanaga feels.

Of course, some people view this as a more familial relationship so I could be reading this all wrong, this is just my view of things.

Good theory, I do see sense in this but we don’t know for sure since there is not enough material to reveal their full relationship yet. Only time will tell.
Feb 15, 2020 9:03 PM

Jul 2014
The detective that was trying to flirt with Saki died lol.
I like the pace of the current arc, lots of investigating stuffs going on, tho I really fail to see how they plan on beating her by changing the topic of steel lady nanase to something more interesting, regardless on how interesting they come up with its fairly impossible to completely remove people on forums, internet to just forget about what they once taught was true. Can't wait for whats to come, also I wonder who the skinny boned lady was. I tend to always buy the idea that Nanase isnt actually dead and that may be her (massive downplay with her tits tho but she did get sknny af) since who else could it be that will deal a surprising blow, or heck maybe she's just a simple painter that may have started the whole lady nanase thing.
Feb 15, 2020 9:37 PM
Mar 2015
Poor detective he thought she was a real person instead of fabricated ghost
Feb 15, 2020 10:35 PM
Jul 2018
kuro is always calm and quiet its difficult to know if he has feelings or he just pretending to be a boyfriend
Feb 15, 2020 11:13 PM
Apr 2018
Kuro is always so hardcore and serious. Seeing him being soft and his effort to protect Kotoko is heartwarming. Maybe his immortality just cause him to be uninterested to trivial things.

RIP Terada. Now that he's gone, Saki has no potential love interest anymore.
Feb 16, 2020 12:46 AM
Mar 2019
That was a fun episode. Nice hook for next episode too.
Feb 16, 2020 3:09 AM

Jan 2016
Wasn't able to watch any anime since Friday (except Her blue Sky), so I decided to watch this one first out of the 15 other anime on my queue lol. But as always, the episode was great. They were supposed to mention the sister's alibi here, as well as the sister herself saying why it wouldn't be a suicide, but I think they'll move it to the next episode or when they present their logical fiction.

I'm so excited for the future episodes... it looks like the rest of the season will really end along with this arc. I'm also already warning people: if you guys didn't like Episode 2+3 (the snake), you will probably won't like the next episodes. 3-4 episodes will have heavy dialogue and they will "solve" this case (somewhat) the same way they did with the snake. But if you've liked everything so far, then you should definitely see how this would end. I literally can't spoil how because it's set up so that you can't explain the end without explaining everything first, and that's a lot.

Marinate1016 said:
The idea of anime being made to promote the source material def worked on me. Bought volumes 1-12 of the manga last week

WOAH. There's already 12 volumes??? The place where I read it is only until Volume 10.. Can I ask this:
Feb 16, 2020 3:42 AM
Jul 2018
I wonder if kuro is emotionally stunted or cold its confusing
Feb 16, 2020 4:38 AM

Sep 2010
ZKisara said:

Sorry to say this but this is going to be most of the episode from now on. Long dialogue, more thinking, and if you come for some sweet spicy aCtIoN; this ain’t it chief. Kyokou suiri, also known as in/spectre, but also known as INVENTED INFERENCE, is mainly dialogue with mystery to back it up and that’s all I can say. Take it or leave it mate, up to you to decide.

Short_Circut said:

yep, this series is reallllly dialogue heavy so if one can't handle it now they might not really like it later

I know it's hard to get when you're fanboying it hard, but main problem of this episode is it's huge primitive exposition dump, where they explain most simple stuff couple of times. It's so bad that dialog with construction worker ghost is the best part of it.

As notorious reader I like "dialogue heavy" stuff, so jumping on "you just prefer action/dislike long dialogues" train is an easy mistake, so I'll say it very simply - from plot and entertainment perspective this episode is superfluous and whole ark is below mediocre.

I guess cute girl speaking mystery is enough content for most viewers, but I came for "some sweet yokai vibes" and it's more of typical shounen.
Feb 16, 2020 5:20 AM

Jul 2014
It seems to me that a simple solution would be to have Kuro dress as Nanase in a very public place, have him get subdued by the cops, and, once locked up, have him kill himself or have someone else kill him. Bing bang boom. Problem solved.
Feb 16, 2020 5:29 AM

Apr 2018
For an episode heavy on exposition and light in action this was quite enjoyable. And all of that is thanks to the personality of lovely Kotoko.
Feb 16, 2020 6:54 AM

Jul 2017
Ookami-des said:
ZKisara said:

Sorry to say this but this is going to be most of the episode from now on. Long dialogue, more thinking, and if you come for some sweet spicy aCtIoN; this ain’t it chief. Kyokou suiri, also known as in/spectre, but also known as INVENTED INFERENCE, is mainly dialogue with mystery to back it up and that’s all I can say. Take it or leave it mate, up to you to decide.

Short_Circut said:

yep, this series is reallllly dialogue heavy so if one can't handle it now they might not really like it later

I know it's hard to get when you're fanboying it hard, but main problem of this episode is it's huge primitive exposition dump, where they explain most simple stuff couple of times. It's so bad that dialog with construction worker ghost is the best part of it.

As notorious reader I like "dialogue heavy" stuff, so jumping on "you just prefer action/dislike long dialogues" train is an easy mistake, so I'll say it very simply - from plot and entertainment perspective this episode is superfluous and whole ark is below mediocre.

I guess cute girl speaking mystery is enough content for most viewers, but I came for "some sweet yokai vibes" and it's more of typical shounen.

Ok but..........what does that have to do with “fanboying it hard” though? Yes I do like the series but nowhere did I opinionated my response like that

You literally just explained what I said lmao. “ main problem of this episode is it's huge primitive exposition dump, where they explain most simple stuff couple of times” thats literally being “ reallllly dialogue heavy,” maybe not the kind you like but still heavy nonetheless.

Hell not once did I even mention talking about you lol.

I was just agreeing with what @ZKisara was talking about how this formula is going to carry on

But even if it did it still might apply to you though. You clearly aren’t enjoying the exposition nature of the series right now (or at least not as much as others) so you might not like it further down because it’s going to be the same story of lots of analyzing/exposition/whatever
Feb 16, 2020 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
I hope the detective comes back as a ghost. He was cool.
Feb 16, 2020 8:52 AM

Dec 2013
Aw man, I liked that detective, his heart was in the right place and he just wanted to protect the people.

Really liked the exchange between Kuro and Kotoko throughout the whole episode.
Feb 16, 2020 9:43 AM
Aug 2014
Ookami-des said:

Can you explain what about the episode was superfluous and what stuff they explained was simple? Also, How is this more like the typical shounen?
Feb 16, 2020 11:20 AM

Jul 2016
I think this was the best ep so far and man i really love the romance between Kurou and Iwanaga the interactions between them are so funny and i can feel that kurou is growing to care more and more about her i hope the author will make an arc to develop their relationship more
Feb 16, 2020 11:46 AM

Apr 2010
Poor detective... R.I.P, I liked him, actually,

Their relationship is so weird. They are a couple, but it seems so one-sided. Kuro seems indifferent as hell. It doesn't sound that he was like that with Saki.

Feb 16, 2020 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
kuro seem do not mind kotoko to hug him many times I wonder if kotoko will go farther with him in the next ep if they both went to the same hotel
Feb 16, 2020 12:27 PM

Jul 2014
Up until Saki started telling them about the police investigation into Nanase's death, the conversation in the episode was annoyingly circular, simply going back and forth between the same few points over and over again. Thankfully, things improved a lot after that, even if the flashback to exposition on Kuro's powers was a little jarring (though entirely necessary thanks to the time skip).

Sad that the detective died, but this just makes their job a lot harder now, especially with that woman we saw at the end presumably fanning the flames of the Nanase rumours.
Feb 16, 2020 2:13 PM
Apr 2012
This anime has a lot of mundane dialogue for it's plot. This is one of those times, they really could've used the visuals to tell half of the story and save some budget, but they really just gave visuals to the dialogue.

Dropped from a 8 to a 7 for me because of it.

They had such great direction on episode 1, what happen? I guess last episode was pretty decent though.
Feb 16, 2020 4:18 PM
Aug 2018
Heartyace said:
This anime has a lot of mundane dialogue for it's plot. This is one of those times, they really could've used the visuals to tell half of the story and save some budget, but they really just gave visuals to the dialogue.

Dropped from a 8 to a 7 for me because of it.

They had such great direction on episode 1, what happen? I guess last episode was pretty decent though.

I’m pretty sure everyone got pumped after seeing episode 1 was because they though it was some kind of shounen because of action and etc etc. though I’m not exactly sure tbh, it’s likely that people came in with an open mind and was not expecting it to be mainly mystery.

If you didn’t enjoy it, that’s rather unfortunate. If you still have some interest, I suggest you go have a gander at the manga. It’s more detailed and much better in my opinion. Though this is your choice, I won’t force you to read something you don’t enjoy.

Other than that, have a great day 👍
Feb 16, 2020 9:22 PM

Jul 2016
Oh for fuck's sake! Seriously, Terada? Well... F. Wonder if he will come back as a ghost or something tho.

Another quite intriguing episode. Heavy on dialogues indeed but I didn't mind it in the slightest since they were well handled and kept me captivated enough.
The explanation for the Kudan's future prediction ability was super interesting to hear, by the way. Kurou has it rougher that I initially thought. No wonder why the guy acts so indifferent/cold.
Feb 16, 2020 10:15 PM

Oct 2008
finally! a casualty!
this episode has lots of blabbering! good thing i didn't get sleepy!
4/5.

Feb 17, 2020 3:09 AM

Feb 2014
Even though Saki's seen plenty of ghosts now, it was still pretty funny to see her scream at the sight of the ghost builder which made her run away and curl up into a ball, sort of. XD

The dialogue goes through a circular pattern here and there, but that makes it even more engaging. The things that we've learnt was that Nanase did die via an accidental death by the steel beams, even though she made no attempt to dodge them at all.

Finding a solution to defeating the steel lady Nanase is going to take a lot of prep work from Kotoko and Kuro. Their talk about the Kudan's power gave us a better insight into how Kuro can choose what future is best if it can be obtained. His laugh sounds a bit emotionless, but because of that, it was funny. Same goes for Kotoko's reaction when Kuro blew off her first suggestion of staying in her double-bed hotel room. XD

Sadly, as Kotoko voiced her optimism of beating steel lady Nanase, said spirit encountered detective Terada and his lack of knowledge about her got himself killed. That's a big F right there. =(

Because of that, Koto and Kuro's job of taking Nanase out will be more difficult, so I look forward to seeing what happens next time. =)
Feb 17, 2020 7:53 AM

Mar 2017
God damn it Mr. Detective! You just blew the whole plan! And who is the mysterious woman on the computer? She seems like she's fuelling the urban legend

Kotoko and Kuro's relationship seemed a lot sweeter this week. Their relationship appears to be pretty complicated; it's like Kuro doesn't want to get too close to her and Kotoko is respecting that but also trying her hardest to support him.

The Japanese title of the anime finally makes sense because of this ep too! hehe
Feb 17, 2020 9:49 AM

Apr 2014
Another good episode. I have the feeling that the woman behind the PC is Hatsumi Nanase.

Also, this part was the best:

Magical Girl Kotoko-chan is here to solve the case!
Feb 17, 2020 11:47 AM
May 2019
This was a fun and exciting episode.
That ending though poor detective F
Feb 17, 2020 3:37 PM

Jul 2017
It looks like even though Steel Lady Nanase is a monster of the imagination, there's a concrete way to alleviate her known status, but with human perception, it's only logical/rational fiction that'll trump the thoughts surrounding her, and only a collaboration between Kotoko and Saki is the way to solving this convoluted case of "not killed, but killed in action a.k.a suicide. Add to that the likely (and most probable) suspect of older sister Hatsumi Nanase with her alibi, it's hard to discern.

ChloeVonEinzbern said:
Also, this part was the best:

Magical Girl Kotoko-chan is here to solve the case!
Pfft haha that made my day :)

To go back to the crime scene and inquire the help of youkai is the standard of Kotoko, but for Saki, it's witness at an unprecedented level. Regardless, predicting the future (at least for Kuro) having been a kudan is a feat, but only in small dosages as it eats on its wearer. Furthermore, since his lifepath only chooses the most probable situation, it's as difficult to ascertain what lies ahead, so the present is as good as it comes.

Time is certainly not on anyone's side as Steel Lady Nanase claims another human detective's life, and the suspicion that falls on the behemoth: the most likely older sister Hatsumi spreading rumours. What comes out of the truth in light in this arc, next episode.
KANLen09Feb 17, 2020 3:41 PM
Feb 17, 2020 4:09 PM

Oct 2008
Enough complaining about the dialogue-heavy nature of the show. "Show, don't tell" is a guideline, not a rule. Just as there are anime that excel in visuals, there are those that will excel in music, dialogue, humor, horror, etc...
Feb 17, 2020 10:22 PM
Sep 2019
I don't know if I'm the only one that thinks that In/Specter is really uninteresting with one of the most dullest main characters in existence (Kurou Sakuragawa)
Feb 19, 2020 12:09 AM

Sep 2018
Hmmm so Kuro-kun worried about Iwanaga. I like their little moments than watching them solving a case
Feb 19, 2020 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
kuro care about kotoko life but its unknown if he care about her feelings
Feb 20, 2020 10:01 AM

Nov 2019
Pretty dope 5/5 episode
Kotoko deserves better than Korou but at the same time Korou ain't that bad he has room to improve
Saki's a fucking pussy too jheeeeeez
Feb 20, 2020 7:05 PM

Oct 2018
it has a Hyouka vibe
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Feb 21, 2020 7:08 AM

Aug 2017
Well, we know how Nanase died. That police officer being killed was expected as the phrase says: "curiosity killed the cat".
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 21, 2020 1:01 PM

May 2015
I really like Iwanaga. She's cute, funny and honest about her feelings. I loved it when she hugged Kuro from behind. She looks floofy as hell lol.

Seeing the police woman freak out was also funny to watch.

I love animes like this that are action and romance. Double interest. Hope they proper get together by the end.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 21, 2020 4:36 PM

Feb 2018
sad nanase xD. Suicide.
Feb 21, 2020 11:23 PM
Jul 2018
TyDrian said:
Pretty dope 5/5 episode
Kotoko deserves better than Korou but at the same time Korou ain't that bad he has room to improve
Saki's a fucking pussy too jheeeeeez

100% right kuro deserve better than loli kotoko
Feb 22, 2020 12:35 PM

Jun 2019
So do Kuro & Kotoko have a sexual relationship or not? When they're going down the hill on the bike she says "you refuse to sleep with me" did she mean in a romantic way, as in having sex, or just actual sleeping with her (even though they actually have sex)?

I'm currently watching ep 7 and came back and watched this episode then looked up this thread for any hints. In the next episode they're in the hotel room, the one Kotoko complains because they didn't get a single room even though they're boyfriend & girlfriend, which suggests they have sex right? Kurou says that he was worried about her being tired & wanted her to sleep, but she says she wishes he would keep her up all night, hinting at getting intimate.

So I think they do, but wondered why she made that comment in this episode about him refusing to sleep with her?
Feb 23, 2020 8:28 AM
Apr 2019
Up until now the series hasn't been extremely exciting other than the first episode. I kept watching the series because these long exposition filled episodes felt like they were leading up to something and now I think the payoff is coming next week and will continue till the end of the season.

[also the bike hug scene was really cut]
Feb 23, 2020 1:22 PM

Jul 2008
well this just got more complicated.

Also I like how the infinite futures theory is real in this show and the work around for it.
Feb 25, 2020 6:43 AM

Jul 2009
Ah yep, looks like my guess about tampering the wiki was correct. Curious to see how the trio would pull this off since they have to prove to so many internet-goers.

Tbh if I were Kotoko, I'd just visit the crime scene again and find a witness yokai right away, but she does have a point on finding substantial evidence first beforehand.

Poor detective in the end RIP.
Feb 27, 2020 5:19 PM

Nov 2016
Fuuaak at the ending. RIP my man.

Great anime so far, especially digging Kuro x Kotoko, the mystery and supernatural elemnt is a nice bonus.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 5, 2020 9:11 AM

Oct 2017
Terada just had to go and get himself killed. Hope he comes back as a ghost later.
Mar 15, 2020 8:06 PM

Mar 2013
enjoyed this episode, the kurou and kotoko moments were super cute.
My favorite part was Kurou saying "she won't be satisfied unless she goes through all of this" LMAO
wish we could see more of them and a bit of backstory how their relationship established.

I just really hope this whole Lady Nanase Storyline won't drag out for the rest of the anime.... it is halfway through and I would like to see something else than just this.

I felt really bad about the Detective, I liked him a lot :/
"You think your power has limits, I say it's limitless."

Mar 19, 2020 11:02 PM

Feb 2015
The episode was really boring, nothing happened.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

155 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 29, 2020

70 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

66 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2020

110 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 6, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

106 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 5:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.