Forum Settings
Forums

Do you watching anime just to fill the anime list ?

New
Jan 19, 2020 5:58 AM

May 2019
I didn't but now I think I do.

I used to rewatch again and again. Cuz there are anime make me feel life worthy.

However, since I had a list on MAL, I started pushing myself to fill more and more in order to achieve a longer list and stop rewatching. Then I started watching careless. There was months even worse that I wished for the anime I was watching end sooner and move to another entry, just to fill the list.

I regret that. I'm just realize it and I wanna change.
I would need some opinions of yours to clarify and concentrate my mind.

What is your perspective 'bout the problem ?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 19, 2020 6:05 AM

Nov 2018
It really depends on my mood I guess(?)
There was a time when I was binge watching series just so my my list gets bigger, but that happend with titles I actually enjoyed.

Sometimes I just get the sudden urge to watch something new and I just start watching that, so that also fills my list.

After a time you just start to care less about the length of your list and just whatever you want whenever you want, at least that's what happend with me.
Jan 19, 2020 6:07 AM

Jul 2016
Nope. I selectively watch anime so I know what I'm getting into.

There's an easy way to fix your rampant watching problem. Try putting them in the "dropped" or "on hold" categories. Still fills the list?
Jan 19, 2020 6:08 AM

Jan 2010
MikaSouyuuri said:

I used to rewatch again and again. Cuz there are anime make me feel life worthy.

However, since I had a list on MAL, I started pushing myself to fill more and more in order to achieve a longer list and stop rewatching. Then I started watching careless. There was months even worse that I wished for the anime I was watching end sooner and move to another entry, just to fill the list.

Just ask yourself, for what purpose do you watch anime?

For me, it's for entertainment. The list is simply just to keep track of things I already watch.

I have no intention to watch everything and tend to stick to my preferences. Or just let my mood decide for me.

Just remember, you can't go back in time, you can't take it back. Wasting time is the last thing I wanna do, surely.
Jan 19, 2020 6:09 AM

Nov 2007
12-15 years back I think. Now I only watch stuff I know I am gonna enjoy. And I don't even update my list anymore.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 19, 2020 6:09 AM

May 2019
heud said:

After a time you just start to care less about the length of your list and just whatever you want whenever you want, at least that's what happend with me.

This is right. It'd help me a lot. Thanks!
Jan 19, 2020 6:14 AM

May 2019
Shicchi said:

I think I got the point now. Many thanks for inspirated.
Jan 19, 2020 6:16 AM

Jan 2010
MikaSouyuuri said:
Shicchi said:

I think I got the point now. Many thanks for inspirated.

I'm glad to be of help! :3
Good luck ^^
Jan 19, 2020 6:26 AM
Jul 2018
I watched too many anime I didn't need to watch (or mostly started and then dropped), because when I first came to MAL, I recognize that huge amount of anime I could watch. It was more like "fear of missing out" and not to fill a number on an internet site.

Today I rewatch more again and don't watch anime I got no motivation for, because I got much more enjoyment out of it than watching something I didn't want to start really badly in first place. I ask at every anime "Do I really want to watch that?"

Most of the stuff I want to watch this year, is in my MAL challenge list... and also a lot of movies and OVAs that could be a new experience. It's easier to watch a movie or something short, if you don't know how much you would like it.
Jan 19, 2020 6:42 AM

May 2019
Maneki-Mew said:
I rewatch more again and don't watch anime I got no motivation for, because I got much more enjoyment out of it than watching something I didn't want to start really badly in first place.

These line remind me the feelings I have forgotten.
I better knew rewatching is a great option as always.

Thanks for responded !
Jan 19, 2020 7:57 AM

Apr 2013
Hmm I think I partly do actually. Without MAL I'm pretty sure I would watch less anime, even if there was a way just as convenient to found new anime. There's just something fun about rating it and writing a short opinion after each episode in the forum.

I only watch stuff I really think might be interesting though, I don't randomly put things on my list. Before that I would just watch the most popular or high-rated shows instead.
Jan 19, 2020 8:10 AM
Jan 2019
If you do that then you really need to start questioning whether you actually enjoy anime or not. I can imagine it's definitely satisfying seeing your list grow, but if that's mainly the incentive then that is a problem.
Jan 19, 2020 8:14 AM

Jun 2019
No, i'm watching anime for my own enjoyment.
Jan 19, 2020 8:15 AM

Oct 2010
I’m currently thinking that way, wanting to build up my list instead of choosing anime I WANT to watch. It’s come to the point where I would rather browse for one shots/ONA/OVAs/movies just to build my “completed” list to make it seem like I watched a lot of anime. I’m trying to stop this habit so I could focus on enjoying the anime alone.
Jan 19, 2020 9:42 AM

Sep 2018
I think thats stupid. Why would you watch something you don't want just to fill your list. You literally get nothing out of it.
Jan 19, 2020 9:46 AM

Jul 2015
i think watching a lot of shows that you don't necessarily love is fine if you really care about the medium

anime has helped me a lot with being more critical minded and i don't think i would appreciate my highly scored shows nearly as much if i didn't know how much better they execute the things i value compared to the average show

of course, if you can't even make it through them, definitely drop them lol
Jan 19, 2020 9:47 AM

Dec 2015
Me, filling the list when it's a season is finish arriving, but that's normal just two or three weeks when I sometimes watch a bunch of shit.

I think it's important to watch a lot to have a valid option when it comes to the best shows from each season.

I do find a lot of gems that most people ignor but I'm at the same time finiding shows that shoud never have been born into this world.

But based on you list, it feels like you are new to the anime world. You have so much more to explore and enjoy.
Don't force youself and get burned out.

Even if I watch a lot of shit to time to time, I still love this medium and finiding so much neat things to watch.

Jan 19, 2020 9:50 AM

Apr 2010
In recent years yes.. in a way I think I do. Like yeah, I'll watch shows that I'm interested in but I'll make myself watch even if I'm not in the mood to in order to knock another entry off my list. It isn't healthy and I'm trying to correct it. I've been watching Anime all my life but have only been seriously watching it for a little over 10 years.There's other things I'd like to put my time into rather than Anime at this point. I doubt Anime will ever not be in my life but I'd like to not dedicate as much time anymore.

Nillwas said:
Me, filling the list when it's a season is finish arriving, but that's normal just two or three weeks when I sometimes watch a bunch of shit.

I think it's important to watch a lot to have a valid option when it comes to the best shows from each season.

I do find a lot of gems that most people ignor but I'm at the same time finiding shows that shoud never have been born into this world.

But based on you list, it feels like you are new to the anime world. You have so much more to explore and enjoy.
Don't force youself and get burned out.

Even if I watch a lot of shit to time to time, I still love this medium and finiding so much neat things to watch.

Why do you think that you need to watch a lot in order to have a valid opinion of the best show of the season?
ZeroflamezJan 19, 2020 9:54 AM
Jan 19, 2020 9:52 AM
Feb 2017
Lol no, I’m not a weirdo. I watch for entertainment purposes only, or else I would care about it in the first place.
Jan 19, 2020 10:41 AM

Dec 2015
@Zeroflamez, is it not true?

A lot of people all over the internet is watching very few shows from each season.

After they have watched this few shows, they think they knew it all and seen it all from that X season.

Ofc, I'm wasting a bit of time watching some shows that I don't really enjoy but it's so few and I got a huge amount of free time, so I don't really care about that.

But after I started to watch a lot of shows from each season, I learned that most people out there doing top 10 best shows to watch or the worse show from that season. Is just talking bullshit, they don't really know what is good or bad.

Or, I'm wrong ? In my eyes you can't talk about the best and worse when you have ignored 75% of the shows that got released that X season.
It make no sense in my point of view.

@Zeroflamez, most people in this medium is ignoring way to much content and they still think they know it all and seen it all.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
MonkeyDHunterJan 22, 2020 8:22 AM

Jan 19, 2020 11:19 AM

Apr 2010
Nillwas said:
@Zeroflamez, most people in this medium is ignoring way to much content and they still think they know it all and seen it all.

I do agree that if someone is doing a best Anime if the season video, and they are saying their #1 Anime is objectively better than every other show that season but haven't watched everything, it's not very valid. However if it's just someone making a video of what they think in their opinion is best Anime of the season I don't see an issue with it. Not everyone has time to watch EVERYTHING coming out like you may have (I mean no disrespect by that, please don't take it that way) nor do they want to. Most Anime Youtubers are bullshitting and haven't seen much Anime in general, never mind seasonal. The big Anime Youtuber's especially is the last place I'd go looking for a top 10 list. Only a small minority of Anime Youtubers are worth going to for an opinion.
Jan 19, 2020 11:24 AM

Jul 2012
Nah because to me the days stat is notably more worthwhile than the completed list and if I was really watching just to raise that up rewatches would probably be the most direct method. Both because I could half pay attention and focus just on shows I know I'll enjoy.

It's super easy to fill up the completed list with short anime or standalone OVAs so it's easier to shrug it off as a wasted endeavor if you're committing to underwhelming full length series.
Jan 19, 2020 11:25 AM

Aug 2012
Nope, i don't want to have a burnout.
Jan 19, 2020 11:26 AM
May 2019
LoL It definitely starts to fell that way, I feel a pressure to complete anime that I've started just so I can mark them as complete that is the only reasons why I haven't dropped Certain Magical Index yet.
Jan 19, 2020 11:31 AM

Oct 2013
ummm no. It may not look like it, but I pick what I watch pretty carefully.
Jan 19, 2020 11:41 AM
Feb 2018
Wow you made me realise that i had been doing somewhat similar thing.
I will have to consider dropping the anime i don't really like watching in the future, bc as for now i tried to finish them no matter what.
Jan 19, 2020 12:12 PM

Sep 2014
Many years ago, no. I was more excited over anime when I was younger. Nowadays, yes I even finished some boring SOL anime online or whatever else I borrowed from the library.
I have the similar issue with watching K-dramas, I couldn't get into the hype over most of the popular/highly rated dramas last year but I forced myself to finish them since I watched half of it already 😕 meanwhile I enjoy lower rated stuff that no one really cares about...
sunsetoceanJan 19, 2020 12:16 PM

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Jan 20, 2020 4:10 AM

Jul 2019
No, not really. I still watch new and old anime just for fun. And of course I rewatch a lot of shows.
Jan 20, 2020 4:24 AM

Jul 2016
No,because in the time i used to watch One piece i could have used it to watch a million other shows and increase my list.But i chose not to,because i genuinely liked watching it and had the motivation to catch up to 900 plus episodes.It does give me a real sense of satisfacton though when i get the chance to add a show to my completed list.
SummerynJan 20, 2020 4:28 AM
Jan 20, 2020 4:36 AM

Dec 2019
I stopped having a list long ago though I actually got up to 400, almost 500 I think. I started with 200 which took me an entire afternoon to enter all. Switched accounts- but that's an excuse. i had no plans of continuing that anyway. I think I fell off either 2018, or 2017... Around the time Shouwa Genruko Rakugou Shinjuu s2 finished.

I don't think I did exactly that although perhaps you could say there were anime that I finished and didn't drop bcos of that. Never started a series just to fill the list though

Also- if you just wanted numbers then you can just watch shorts and inflate the numbers real fast- although that won't reflect on your days of anime consumed.
Jan 20, 2020 4:38 AM
Jan 2017
raisin-kun said:
Nope. I selectively watch anime so I know what I'm getting into.

There's an easy way to fix your rampant watching problem. Try putting them in the "dropped" or "on hold" categories. Still fills the list?

Or stop being stupid and stop giving a fuck about how long your list is.
Jan 20, 2020 4:55 AM
Aug 2017
I came to Mal early on in my anime life so I don't know how it changed me. I surly enjoy when I finish a series and I can put it on the completed list but I watch anime majorly based on my mood. When I start a new anime I would say I do it mostly I wanna watch it and people have recommended it to me and lil like 1-2% that I wanna grow my list. I have around 60 shows on my dropped and on-hold list, sometimes I think I should just watch and finish them to grow my completed list but then I remember that they are there for a reason, I didn't like them (mostly).
Jan 20, 2020 5:31 AM
Jul 2018
Yup.

Yup. Yup. Yup.

For awhile, yes. I did. I'd watch dog crap anime, cringey animes, ecchi animes, animes that didn't interest me in the slightest... all so I could boost my episode count. Not to mention a rule I used to make for myself: once you start an anime, you're not allowed to stop it until you've completed it.

Why? Gosh, I don't know. Someone above me made an interesting point, in saying that you have to ask yourself: why do you watch anime?

Originally, and regarding some of my first animes, it was all about getting tangled in the plots, and getting lost in the stories. IRL can be depressing and exhausting, but the fantasy and intrigue implemented by the Japanese media is strangely fulfilling. Something American animations and liveaction in general haven't been able to give me.

BUT, and having said that, after watching around 20-30 anime series, I started to fall down a rabbit hole. I'd isolate myself, become less social, and ultimately start to rebel against life. I might've gotten down on myself for being untalented or feeling purposeless, and so I'd really push my MAL statistics up with a higher number symbolizing more time spent away from a life I considered meaningless. I'd rebel and whether I enjoyed the anime I was watching or didn't, I knew that the hours were adding up.

It's weird. I know.

In a sense, I still do it from time to time, although just recently I somewhat dropped this ideology. Either way though, I'm glad this forum was created because I thought I was the only one who did this.
Jan 20, 2020 5:39 AM

Jul 2019
I watch anime to entertain myself, I guess
Jan 20, 2020 5:40 AM

May 2019
AlexanderHD said:

In a sense, I still do it from time to time, although just recently I somewhat dropped this ideology. Either way though, I'm glad this forum was created because I thought I was the only one who did this.

You are not the only one who did this, also you are not the only one left who can't comeover the problem. Watching anime is OK, but don't ruin your life for that.

Moreover, I hate myself because watched carelessly. I never spoil myself for anything.
Jan 20, 2020 5:41 AM

Dec 2014
I watch for enjoyment and only watch anime now when I have the chance to watch anime and feel like watching anime. I don't care about filling a list although I used to watch to fill the list, because before I used to make yearly anime goals such as watch 100 a year etc
Jan 20, 2020 5:45 AM
Jul 2018
No, I even avoid adding short 5 minute anime to my list or dropped series at 1-2 episodes
Jan 20, 2020 5:48 AM

Jan 2009
damn looks like MAL's indirect influence for you to watch more anime and use this site more is a success lol

why not join that Anime Watching Challenge too? lol here https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1759336

as for me nah im too lazy for that shit thats why i just watch what i want
Jan 20, 2020 5:56 AM

May 2019
deg said:
damn looks like MAL's indirect influence for you to watch more anime and use this site more is a success lol

why not join that Anime Watching Challenge too? lol

as for me nah im too lazy for that shit thats why i just watch what i want

I've switched to watching older anime so joining Watching Challenge may not my option.
or there are some challenge suited for me ?
Jan 20, 2020 5:58 AM

Apr 2011
I thought I was the only one who experienced this. I also found myself in the same situation a few years back. What I did was to simply ignore the digits on my list (which is hard at the beginning) and learn how to drop a series if I don't enjoy it anymore. Being selective also helped me a lot.

If you want to reach a certain number of completed series, no worries. You'll get there soon if you won't lose your interest in anime.

Jan 20, 2020 6:00 AM

May 2019
petran79 said:
No, I even avoid adding short 5 minute anime to my list or dropped series at 1-2 episodes

It's aleatory tho.

I watch things because I wanna try new ones, new feels, so I can't even figure out do I actually want to see an anime at first place. I rarely drop any because Madoka Magica and Made in Abyss taught me to watch whatever right to the end.
Jan 20, 2020 6:01 AM

Jan 2009
@crush_on_Kona

sorry i do not know any other watching challenge besides the official MAL one
Jan 20, 2020 6:03 AM
Oct 2017
That sounds like a really unhealthy habit. Watch to enjoy, the count on the list is meaningless. You probably got encouraged to do that after seeing watchers with huge completed counts get praised here, but think for yourself. If you enjoy re-watching then do so. I for example enjoy rewatching a lot.
Jan 20, 2020 6:04 AM
Aug 2019
No I don't watch every anime that comes out only the ones that suit my taste
Jan 20, 2020 6:07 AM

May 2019
mshitsugaya10 said:
What I did was to simply ignore the digits on my list (which is hard at the beginning) and learn how to drop a series if I don't enjoy it anymore. Being selective also helped me a lot.
You'll get there soon if you won't lose your interest in anime.

You're right.
I've always thought that "I have to watch as much as I can until I lose my interest in".
but I'm better have a same perspective to yours. To enjoy every minute better.
Jan 20, 2020 6:11 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I can't deny that a part of me is probably guilty of that but I do re-watch a fair amount, especially lately. As such, I reckon I'm just about in the safe zone but who knows.

In fact, I've got plans to re-watch Seishun Buta Yarou tv series in preparation to the Movie later this upcoming weekend (banzai to Chinese New Years' Holidays) and likewise for Made in Abyss if the Recap Movies are still unavailable, and Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei sometime in Spring hopefully in advance to the 2nd Season too.

Moreover, feeling a strong urge to go through a few light-hearted + a pinch of romance, e.g. Kimi ni Todoke, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Acchi Kocchi, Nijiro Days etc., shows at the moment too so hopefully I'll find the time to do so in the near future.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 20, 2020 7:47 AM

May 2009
crush_on_Kona said:

My solution to this is to not watch any anime series until I actually feel like it.

Like you say, there's no point to simply watching something to fill a list. Everyone can put stuff on a TV or computer screen and let it play while sitting there. There are no prizes to be had.

For me, the value of anime is not found in simply watching things, but watching them to satisfy my curiosity or desire to see that thing. So I basically don't watch anime until I have a specific thing in mind that I want to watch, and I feel like the moment is right.

This probably contributes to why I watch things so slowly. But I'm fine with it.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 20, 2020 9:09 AM

Jan 2020
No since im new to mal not have thought about it or never will.
I even had series i didnt listed yet cuz i watched only bunch of random eps bef4 like Yugi-oh,Major, Digimon, detective conan, etc..

Made by k3ti
Jan 20, 2020 9:35 AM

Mar 2012
No one is going to praise or reward you for the number of completed anime on your list, even those MAL badges are pretty useless so just watch or re-watch any series that you enjoy and forget about numbers.
Jan 20, 2020 9:50 AM
May 2019
Yeah, since I really wanna get a certificate from MAL University.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

62 by Pinoffin »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 6 minutes ago

0 by Rinrinka »»
6 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

15 by TRC_Randy »»
7 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

4 by LightWorker »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

43 by TRC_Randy »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.