Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 16, 2020 12:09 AM

Dec 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just released on Netflix. The story doesn't seem too "ambitious" but I love the Ghibli style, courtesy of Momose Yoshiyuki.

edit: I am not a fan. The story just isn't captivating, character dynamics fall flat, nothing gave me much motivation to even finish it.
LeosmileyfaceJan 16, 2020 11:04 AM
Jan 16, 2020 2:55 AM
Apr 2018
Just finished watching it on Netflix. I honestly don't know what to say about this film.
Jan 16, 2020 3:56 AM

Nov 2019
yvanedisco said:
Just finished watching it on Netflix. I honestly don't know what to say about this film.

You dont know what to say because the movie was meh? (Didn't watched de movie yet)
Jan 16, 2020 4:02 AM
Sep 2018
Supercueca_ said:
yvanedisco said:

You dont know what to say because the movie was meh? (Didn't watched de movie yet)

Yup totally average at best.
Subpar at worst
Jan 16, 2020 7:01 AM
Apr 2011
Film would have been a lot better without Haru, Guy was a POS. Like everything that happens is his fault having him, soured the entire film and added dumb melodrama instead of fun adventure. Even with the end twist, which I dont think made sense.
hotdamnbatmanJan 16, 2020 7:14 AM
Jan 16, 2020 7:06 AM

Dec 2012
sorry to say it is not promising from first glance. the Ghibli style is unmistakable but it is NOT made by the studio so it is kind of a one off. will have to consider about watching it further.

Some of the animation and effects are ..very poor.

Jan 16, 2020 11:03 AM

Dec 2018
CrisGer_San_AA said:
sorry to say it is not promising from first glance. the Ghibli style is unmistakable but it is NOT made by the studio so it is kind of a one off. will have to consider about watching it further.

Some of the animation and effects are ..very poor.

Yeah, I believe it's just there as the director had a huge part in many Ghibli movies. I wouldn't walk in expecting animation quality quite as we expect from them, it's far from that.
Jan 17, 2020 4:18 AM

May 2012
I never played the games but always wanted to, no idea what part this would be in the game or if it appears in the game at all. But in general that ending was quite nice, lovely action and a really sweet ending!

Quite an enjoyable watch!
Jan 17, 2020 6:44 AM

Oct 2011
RafaelDeJongh said:
I never played the games but always wanted to, no idea what part this would be in the game or if it appears in the game at all. But in general that ending was quite nice, lovely action and a really sweet ending!

It's not part of any of the two games. It has it's own story, which is nowhere as good of a story to the games. The villain was too cliche and predictable.

The worlds however are the same and similar side characters, and the old man must be Oliver from the first game as an old man. So this would be a sequel then.
Jan 17, 2020 7:03 AM
Jul 2019
Oh man do you just start laughing at some point because.. it's simply so bad (During the final fight scenes ESPECIALLY lmao). I was really looking forward to this because the gameplays from what I've heard are incredible. The beginning was promising because of the ghibli vibes and the backgrounds were really well done. The only thing that pulled me through was that Yu looked like a mini Howl honestly. I quite liked the ending/It was satisfactory.
loeyeolJan 20, 2020 12:14 AM
Jan 17, 2020 11:21 AM

Nov 2010
Really enjoyed this one. Ofc the ghibli characters and the ending was nice surprise. Plot wasn't anything too spectacular, but enjoyable.
Jan 17, 2020 12:12 PM

Nov 2019
Pretty nice movie overall 7/10
Jan 17, 2020 1:39 PM

Mar 2012
Not sure why the movie is scored so low. It was enjoyable to watch and i give it a solid 7. At the very least it was better than most seasonal anime
Jan 17, 2020 9:10 PM

May 2012
chronofantasy said:
RafaelDeJongh said:

It's not part of any of the two games. It has it's own story, which is nowhere as good of a story to the games. The villain was too cliche and predictable.

The worlds however are the same and similar side characters, and the old man must be Oliver from the first game as an old man. So this would be a sequel then.

Oh thank you for clearing that out! I really should play it one day!
Jan 17, 2020 9:13 PM
Dec 2012
I just finished this today and I have to say I both enjoyed and felt frustrated with this movie. I liked the story in general. Not a huge fan of Isekai but I do enjoy them from time to time (i.e. SAO, Re-Zero). The first thing that got under my skin was when Haru was so quick to blame Yu when Kotona was stabbed, like bro you were the one that no one could contact and you ended up coming to help too late, SMH. Then to save face Haru picks up a wounded Kotona and tried to carry her to the hospital. I'm pretty sure in any scenario he would have made the situation worse or even killed her by moving her. Second, I would have loved more development of the other world. It looked and seemed so interesting and cool, a quest adventure or the foibles of them learning the rules of the other world would have been so fun to watch. Third, The animation I thought was pretty good. I tots could see the Ghibli inspiration and the twining that Yu had with Howl made my heart go "Doki Doki!". The other things that made me frustrated was again Haru jumping to conclusions about how their world and the other world works and how quick he was to escalate to killing Astrid. Like "Dude how do you have murderous tendencies in highschool?!" And then when he meets with the "Black Banners" he all of a sudden is leading an army of 20,000?!? "Say what now? When did he get war strategy experience? When did he learn how to ride a monster horse thingy? Where is your moral compass from questioning murder as 'Not a good idea'!?" So many questions! I did think that the old man would have a bigger part to play in giving the boys info on the other world (even tho Yu had some flashbacks). I did love the car chase seen, it was exciting. And the part where the "Minoster" aka "the older brother" turned into the winged monster had me going "What in the Disney's Maleficent is going on HEEERE?!" LOL the ending was good but also a little confusing..... Loved that Yu decided to stay in the other world (Called in from jump street!) Sad that everyone except Haru forgot about Yu. Confused about how Yu and Haru were linked by being the same person?! They looked nothing alike, and literally the only thing they had in common was that they liked the same girl. I really could have done without Haru's character. Just give me "coming of age" Yu learning to have confidence in himself and see himself as the hero instead of the "Third Wheel", falling in love, and being the hero he was always destined to be. P.s. tots a little salty that Yu didn't have the final blow of the "Minister/Oni Monster". Great strategy but this was Yu's time to seal his Hero status. All in all I enjoyed it, so def a 7/10 for me.
Jan 18, 2020 1:20 AM
Apr 2018
Just completed the movie, I thought about this and it probably has links with the games, cause of these I can say the movie is set between them, so a "Ni No Kuni 1.5". (unless I'm wrong, so it's nothing related, but that's what i felt for what I remember)
I completed the first game, but I only played the prologue of the second one and I don't remember a lot of it.
So here is the thought I shared on the Discord server, if somebody played the games, tell me if my thought could be right or correct me:
" During the last scenes, after Yu being injured on the chest, he sees that old man, that man's suit is the one used by the mc in the first game, so i suppose that old man is the kid from the first game, a lot of years later.
And now that i remember this, in the 2nd game, i only played the prologue, i remember it had a character really similar to Yu, but older (around 20-30 years maybe?), so he could be the Yu from this movie, but a lot of years later, but i don't remember if the name of the guy in the game was Yu lol "
Jan 18, 2020 6:08 AM

Jun 2015
Wow, no one is talking about the title of the movie here I was wondering why the hell did the name it such as & then they revealed the twist. A pretty great choice for the title I would say! "Ni no Kuni" which means in English "My brothers country" or "Brothers country".
Nothing impressive!
Jan 18, 2020 1:39 PM

May 2011
another bad story from this series, and the ending was so predictable 🤦‍♀️
tho, I was surprised when I saw Oliver ( from the 1st game ), poor boy never grew taller
Jan 18, 2020 9:25 PM
Mar 2015
The Style felt like very old Ghibli They both got the same girl because they were the same guy
Jan 19, 2020 7:58 AM

May 2012
I'm big fan of Ni No kuni game

And l liked this movie. It deserve much higher rating
Jan 19, 2020 8:16 AM

Dec 2014
ok like they were the same person... wait what...hmmm
Jan 19, 2020 6:07 PM

Sep 2008
Kills said:
Wow, no one is talking about the title of the movie here I was wondering why the hell did the name it such as & then they revealed the twist. A pretty great choice for the title I would say! "Ni no Kuni" which means in English "My brothers country" or "Brothers country".

Yea, it's because that's just not the case.
Ni no Kuni means literally "The second country", which is the counterpart to "Ichi no Kuni", meaning "The first country".
The word for brother in japanese would be "nii" btw.

Watched the movie today and, even though i haven't played the games, have to admit:

The arts and character designs were pretty good and pleasant to watch.
The story and story-telling was pretty bad and horrible to endure.

It's been a while since i've watched a movie with sooo much potential storywise messing up it's execution and presentation so damn bad.
It's quite sad.
KarinyiaJan 19, 2020 6:19 PM
Jan 19, 2020 6:16 PM

Jun 2015
XBloodfighterX said:
Kills said:
Ni no Kuni means literally "The second world", which is the counterpart to "Ichi no Kuni", meaning "The first world".
The word for brother in Japanese would be "nii" btw.
😅 well that's pretty embarrassing. but Kuni means "country", not "world" right!
XBloodfighterX said:
Yup pretty cliche.
Nothing impressive!
Jan 19, 2020 6:18 PM

Sep 2008
Kills said:
XBloodfighterX said:
Ni no Kuni means literally "The second world", which is the counterpart to "Ichi no Kuni", meaning "The first world".
The word for brother in Japanese would be "nii" btw.
😅 well that's pretty embarrassing. but Kuni means "country", not "world" right!
XBloodfighterX said:
Yup pretty cliche.

Aye, my mistake, corrected it 2 mins ago :P
Jan 20, 2020 4:43 PM

May 2011
I just finished watching it this evening and I was kinda disappointed.

I loved the easter eggs from the games, even though the biggest one wasn't revealed and just heavily suggested (I wish they added something there like someone calling out a name but oh well.)

The end reveal felt un-exciting, the entire thing felt rushed despite the nearly 2 hour runtime (a series would of been better maybe), the CGi stood out like a sore thumb and I didn't feel much for the characters.

I'd go into detail but spoilers.
Jan 20, 2020 8:26 PM

Nov 2019
Instantly since pink kabuto appeared, I already knew he will be the final boss, making him look like kabuto was a giveaway but it was really how convoluted he convinced the king that they're enemy and deal with the two immediately

Ofc a thick headed friend that lacks critical thinking

Both armies must've had a really great a armor coz not a single drop of blood was spilled in the clashes shown

But soldiers still conveniently let their guard down, so much for their amazing armor ain't it Saki-Ne counter part

Pink kabuto has some serious issues, coz seriously kidnapping the princess just to let her go again coz he wants some pole to conveniently pierce the princess wtf but not to worry our MarySue in the clut- oof what happened to that amazing armor, damn you pink kabuto

5/10 surprisingly generic and average coz most unheard of game adaptation like this usually almost always straight up garbage, still a waste of time tho
Haunt88Jan 20, 2020 8:35 PM
Jan 21, 2020 1:58 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/this-week-in-anime/2020-01-21/.155586 movie in full detail.

Please check out this review everyone. I just saw it on animenewsnetwork and it really delves into everything wrong with this movie. While I enjoyed it because of these flaws I guess not everyone thought that it was a "so bad it was good" (or at least enjoyable) type of philosophy. It is way better (harsh as it deserves) than my review.

anime-primeJan 29, 2020 10:29 AM
Jan 27, 2020 12:34 PM

Aug 2017
5/10

Got a little fanservice with princess swimming. Sixth Sense moment at the end with the protagonists. Weak plot and villain.

I'm still playing the game on Switch.
Jan 29, 2020 2:34 PM

Mar 2018
I agree with everyone. The best way to describe the movie is with "meh". The style tries to be like Ghibli but has none of them charm and magic. The character design is Ghibli but everything else is so unGhibli. The music is beautiful since it is by Hisaishi but doesn't fit since the story is so desperately mediocre and flat out boring. I had a hard time finishing the movie. The nonexistent chemistry between the characters was terrible. The whole shtic of people being able to move between worlds has been done way too many times and it wasn't even done well here. I thought that the villain might be his dad (that would have been moderately interesting). Nope. Also some stuff made no lick of sense. How come every one elses twin looked the same but the two MC didn't even look alike? What was the dealio with the princess dancing on water. It looked pretty but was useless for the story. The baddie somehow had enough time to split his time between his evil fortress and the Kings castle and he must have been doing it for ages but no one noticed but the MC. Riiiigh. The more I think about it the worse it gets. Deeply unsatisfying. 4 out of ten.
huntress1013Jan 29, 2020 2:41 PM
Jan 29, 2020 2:55 PM

Mar 2018
@anime-prime:Thanks for the link. Pretty much nailed it.
Jan 29, 2020 3:00 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
huntress1013 said:
@anime-prime:Thanks for the link. Pretty much nailed it.

My pleasure. I felt that it would be a disservice to the effort put into the review for it not to be seen by as many people as possible.
Jan 30, 2020 12:28 PM
Nov 2017
It could’ve been better if they played up the romance on the movie, the best we got was holding hands for two seconds before the credits and then Astrid saying she wanted to spend her life with him. They could’ve done a wedding plus his crowning after the credits or a tad bit of ntr and have Kotona leave Yu bc he won’t let go of his insecurities of being in the chair and then Yu finds Astrid.
Feb 6, 2020 10:54 AM

Jul 2016
The movie skipped around it’s plot points too much.Maybe I would have gotten more mileage out of this if I was someone who played the games,but speaking from someone who is just trying to watch this as a stand-alone film,it was disappointing to say the least.That’s not to mention the terrible CGI and the one-note characters.
Feb 14, 2020 6:07 PM

Apr 2014
Honestly this sorta felt like a satire to me, so some of the more ridiculous aspects , like the dude trying to carry her to the hospital in a cab, make sense in the light of the style they went with in that weird lizard-exorcism dance lol
~Xind
Feb 15, 2020 12:45 AM

Aug 2018
An Awesome movie which ties to the original video game love it 👌♥ and the plot twists at the end was cool
Overall 8 out of 10
Feb 17, 2020 8:26 AM

Feb 2014
I don't need to play the game to know this wasn't a good adaptation of it, nor it was a particulary good movie on it's own.
Feb 21, 2020 6:57 PM

Feb 2014
I havent played the game or whatever, but this was a good movie. I think it's underrated.

8/10
Feb 24, 2020 6:57 AM
Jul 2008
Unlike Kotona and Astrid, Haru was opposite of Yu. Haru was extremely selfish with psycho mind. He couldn't even think logically a bit while Haru is the one who keeps thinking on many things.

This made me think. Maybe the side effect of a guest overstay in another world was making the other counterpart have opposite part of the guest. Haru got crippled mind while Yu got crippled body.

After Yu stayed back, Haru somehow can 'think' what Yu was and other things related to him which he shouldn't be able to if his mind was still crippled.
Feb 27, 2020 12:59 PM

Jan 2009
damn what happened to the animation quality after the first 40 minutes? lol

it was a nice story about mirror world or mirror universe though
May 16, 2020 3:22 PM

Oct 2012
Nice fairytale whose ultimate flaw is it feels like they compressed the story of whole season (or long game) into one movie. The pacing was way too fast.
Too many things happened in close succession and there was hardly any breathing space in the second part of the anime. As such the story was kinda rushed. In a way, the script really felt like one from a game with RPG filling cut out.

Other than that it was your prototypical isekai with two nice twists towards the end (the sword and they being one). I kinda enjoyed it, and it laso had few ghibli-like elements, thanks to its director who worked there.

6/10

LeonLanford said:
This made me think. Maybe the side effect of a guest overstay in another world was making the other counterpart have opposite part of the guest. Haru got crippled mind while Yu got crippled body.
After Yu stayed back, Haru somehow can 'think' what Yu was and other things related to him which he shouldn't be able to if his mind was still crippled.

+1 Nice way of thought. Not many people actually tried to wonder why he was the way he was (many reviews simply disregards Haru as dumbass without second thought) and this nicely explains the possible reason.

For bit of wincest I would also wonder whether he was actually Prince Sedulus's lost son.
Mich666May 16, 2020 3:35 PM
May 31, 2020 2:54 PM
Jan 2019
RafaelDeJongh said:

As a person who watched the first and 100% the second game I can safely say that this is taking place long after Ni no kuni 2, but i can also say that it SEVERELY underutilised the world and the story the games made, imagine if you could see the US 500 years into the future but you only check out Washington d.c. , what about New york? Chicago? Or literaly any other place? Not only that the old guy cameo (big game spoilers) also messes with the timeline, but overall its dissapointing to see how they translated the game into the movies, but im glad you liked it, as for the games both of them are worth it :)
May 31, 2020 3:00 PM
Jan 2019
antocs said:
Just completed the movie, I thought about this and it probably has links with the games, cause of these I can say the movie is set between them, so a "Ni No Kuni 1.5". (unless I'm wrong, so it's nothing related, but that's what i felt for what I remember)
I completed the first game, but I only played the prologue of the second one and I don't remember a lot of it.
So here is the thought I shared on the Discord server, if somebody played the games, tell me if my thought could be right or correct me:
" During the last scenes, after Yu being injured on the chest, he sees that old man, that man's suit is the one used by the mc in the first game, so i suppose that old man is the kid from the first game, a lot of years later.
And now that i remember this, in the 2nd game, i only played the prologue, i remember it had a character really similar to Yu, but older (around 20-30 years maybe?), so he could be the Yu from this movie, but a lot of years later, but i don't remember if the name of the guy in the game was Yu lol "

This is long after the second game for sure, for start, evermore (the city the story takes place in) doesent exist until our mc's start building it in the second game (also the yellow haired kid is actualy the mc, and the guy you mentioned is not connected in any way to Yu)

Also Mornstar was lost and hidden until the events of the second game, where its re-crafted into a sword you see in the second game
Jun 24, 2020 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
Finally I came to watch that movie.

I really wanted to enjoy it, because it looks so Ghibli since someone from Ghibli worked on it and Yu looks a lot like Haku lol
And ... well I did enjoy it, but it felt so rushed and flat and a bit too generic, I surely expected much more tbh. I don't play the games either so I dunno.

Normally, I'm not that nitpicking, but even in the begin, seriously ... you are chased by a creepy dude with a knife? Who do you call? Okay your boyfriend doesn't pick up, but you are going to call your friend in a wheelchair, not the police? Okay girl.
Then the lady, who took the boy in a wheelchair in, brings him to a dangerous place where someone with a knife is running around and you leave him alone? Okay lady.
Then your girlfriend got stabbed and you still don't call the ambulance, you move her which would make everything worse? Okay boy lol
And then the end oof... everyone of the linked people looked alike but not you both? And I thought staying for long in another world is dangerous, but Yu had been there for 17 years? How long is "long"?
And then everything of these quarrels inbetween... thinking is a hard thing for Haru. Your counterpart got a brain, you know.
removed-userJun 24, 2020 12:00 PM
Aug 1, 2020 7:21 PM

Apr 2018
Cool movie I want to kick Haru in the face
Aug 25, 2020 6:41 AM
Sep 2018
Although I enjoyed the art style there was so much that was never explained and parts where their own logic faulted as well as story pieces that made little to no sense.
The pink little puff that followed them around seemed to have some sense of importance (I thought it was kotona) in the beginning) but in the end it did nothing, didn’t miraculously help them in some way, didn’t offer moral support
Then there are the politics, why tf did the king kill those people?? Wage that war?? We’re told that it had to be done but why??? It’s so ingrained into the villain’s backstory, it helps us understand why he’s bad but it doesn’t explain it at all so how can we sympathise with him, how can we understand his motive without knowing why he’s doing this. If anything honestly I side with him.
Also if you’re going through the trouble of making an MC with a disability, you’re going for representation and realism surely? With the car and his movements, it seems like it was well planned and studied to a degree but then he plops into another world and just walks?? Bruv you would absolutely not be that confident STANDING let alone WALKING or god forbid RUNNING, say it does heal all his injuries being in this world and he didn’t have weak muscles in his legs from underuse, the sensation must be strange and take a while to get used to but besides the initial shock and a little foot wiggle later on its completely ignored.
Aug 25, 2020 2:59 PM

Aug 2012
Man, i was looking forward to this movie... The first game was perfect, the second game was kinda mixed but this movie was just bland. It tried way too hard.
I'll give it a 5/10 for using the game soundtrack and the Oliver cameo.
Sep 8, 2020 2:18 PM

Mar 2013
I wanted to see this because of the Ghibli art style but LOL what a trainwreck of a plot xDDDDD the animation sakuga could have been better.. bad CGI fight scenes and mobs.. it only gets a 6 from me for that art.. the Story tho lololol.. I started laughing at the end :v
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2020 5:36 AM

Apr 2015
I really hate to say this but man, the story is not as good as the game :(.
6/10 for me. I would give it a 5 if I didn't play the game before.
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Oct 31, 2020 10:40 PM
Dec 2019
it was okay and enjoyayble atleast, I also gave it a 7 eventhough i hated the ending
Nov 2, 2020 2:50 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This was so overwhelmingly average, my God. So average that it became what I imagine when I think about a generic Isekai.
The plot twist at the end was sick, not going to lie, too much wasted potential.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» A post i agree with about the movie

Aiaigasa - Mar 6, 2020

3 by Mattinator95 »»
Jan 7, 2021 10:03 AM

» Netflix Premiere

removed-user - Jan 3, 2020

3 by Desi56 »»
Jan 23, 2020 3:44 PM

» Hype thread

LuceoEtzio - Feb 9, 2019

16 by h_hue »»
Aug 31, 2019 6:11 AM

» Trailer

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2019

2 by Brachy »»
Apr 17, 2019 5:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.