Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 10, 2020 6:25 AM
May 2016
Better than I expected, love the art (kind of reminds me of the fairy tail parts of Princess Tutu, mukashi mukashi...). Interesting take on the toilet ghost urban legend. Really laughed at the "daikon legs" joke, I always noticed some Japanese girls with those short chubby legs, never knew it had a name LOL.
And wow Megumi Ogata, Shinji himself (herself) ;)
Jan 10, 2020 6:41 AM
Jul 2018
I liked the first episode in general ^^

The animation is interesting but cute :)
Jan 10, 2020 6:44 AM

Jun 2013
The art style is amazing
Jan 10, 2020 6:45 AM

Aug 2019
This might be my favourite non-sequel this season.

I like the two characters, Yashiro is really cute and I like the comedy.

Art style is great.

Good OP and ED.
Jan 10, 2020 7:12 AM

May 2014
The art is SO gooooood. I love the look of this anime. Plus Hanako is already amazing, Megumi did such a great job voicing him. Might be a potential favourite anime for me, have to see where things go from here.
Jan 10, 2020 7:25 AM

Jun 2019
This definitely exceeded my expectations, I really enjoyed the first episode!
I’m happy with both their voices, it suits them very well.

I am VERY glad that they were able to sort of keep the artstyle from the manga ( which is very hard to pull off ) but, as the others have said over and over again, the animation is lacking. Some people are saying that it doesn’t really have that much of an effect but Aida’s artstyle is very fluid and the difference is visible. As unique as the colors and character designs are, the overall animation still looks a bit restricted.

But aside from that, I’d say it was all good! Can’t wait for episode two.

phantomfandom said:
I don't like the heterosexual element in this, otherwise it's ok.
Anyone mind explaining what this person means?
AllyxandraJan 10, 2020 7:31 AM

Jan 10, 2020 7:56 AM

Feb 2016
The art style looks amazing. The unique atmosphere is also nice

Hanako's VA is the same as Nagito Komaeda's and it's reminding me of certain things
Jan 10, 2020 8:04 AM

Jun 2013
Very good start even if im not a big fan of the animation shortcuts
Jan 10, 2020 8:53 AM

Feb 2018
Sorry guys, but I wanted to watch an anime, not a shitty slideshow.

Trash animation, poor direction, annoying Nene, all jokes that worked fine in the manga became dull and out of place. No, thanks, I don't want to continue this.

Only good things in this show - a pretty unique art style and Hanako's voice actor.
kataneerJan 10, 2020 8:59 AM
Jan 10, 2020 9:05 AM

Jan 2015
The art style was unique and I think this will become better in the next episodes.
It was an ok episode.
Jan 10, 2020 9:15 AM

Mar 2018
And I thought Dr.Stone was a moving manga...

The art is detailed the whole episode, nice colours and effects, almost painting-esque or something, but this shit doesn't appeal to me at all. Don't like the plot and characters, everything is stupidly cute and silly, I just don't get any enjoyment from this.

I was kinda hyped for this but it's not what I expected at all. Had to skip to the end, 1.5/10 from me.
EsquirtitJan 10, 2020 9:19 AM
poop
Jan 10, 2020 9:17 AM
Jun 2017
Omg I just realized that the one who she bumped into was Kou 😂😂 It'll be a while until we see him in the anime though 😌
Jan 10, 2020 9:47 AM
Sep 2019
i thought that this premier was great! the art style is very cute, and so is the character design! yashiros fish form was adorable as well.
one of my friends said that hanako sounded just like they expected him to, so props to that!
and i LOVED the opening.
i can't wait for the next episode to come out ^__^
(like others have said though, the animation is a bit lackluster, however i feel like it kinda works for this anime)
Jan 10, 2020 9:47 AM
Mar 2019
I really like the art style, it’s very charming. I like the atmosphere too and Hanakos personality.
Jan 10, 2020 10:49 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The art is very cool. I can see some Utena influence in some places. Will pick up
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 10, 2020 11:25 AM

Sep 2017
The jokes and the story isn't that interesting but the art style is very good. I've been keeping track of Andou Masaomi's directorial works since Kuzu no Honkai. He has a way to make an anime very pretty looking by minimising the animation, but since each frame is really pretty to look at, the visual rarely feels boring even it's barely animated. Looking forward to see more of it.
Jan 10, 2020 11:50 AM

Mar 2018
This is weird but very solid. And the art style is so unique. Looking forward to this and also the Op and Ed are great.
Jan 10, 2020 12:51 PM

Dec 2014
Ok that was a really good find
Jan 10, 2020 12:54 PM

May 2013
The amount of genres this show fits into is kinda staggering.

Really fun first episode. Love the art direction and character designs. The way it uses panels to transition between scenes is great. Color use phenominal.

At the very least visually this show is worth the watch so far, let's hope it stays fun.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jan 10, 2020 1:36 PM

Dec 2018
I read the first chapter of this way back when I was looking through anime news for news of future releases and I thought it looked pretty cute. That was quite a while ago though, so I only remember her becoming half-dead or something...?

love the rockin' OP, and the ost is great!
oh hey, it's poland's flag

definitely gonna keep watching this!
Jan 10, 2020 1:54 PM
Oct 2018
So much hype for this? Good ep but I don't know if I will watch more of this show
Jan 10, 2020 2:11 PM

Aug 2018
We just started 2020 and we already have the best looking shows of the year, it's outrageous how colorful and inventive the visuals are, the approach of putting sequences shots with multiple layers instead of animated sequences is gready as hell but works SO MUCH MORE than if it was fluid animation.

Charadesigns are also on point, the main boy is a smuggy ass cheeky bastard and I love him, the main girl is beyond adorable and have amazing little quirks here and there, I already see other bad-ass and mysterious characters getting implemented in the background, blonde guy looks like Gilgamesh, of course he's surrounded by the pussies.

Also It's been a while I haven't had several laughs from watching a seasonal comedy, they handle the timing of certain jokes perfectly (the guy ripping his jacket Machio style), I wonder how the romance is going to evolve, why not a good love triangle for once PLEASE !

Anyway this is looking GUD, I hope it will be able to keep its pacing as it is because I wouldn't stand this having slow progression.
Jan 10, 2020 2:12 PM
Dec 2017
Honestly, I dont notice at all about the 'slideshow' animation. Maybe my brain automatically corrected it likd how ya'll read manga. With this art style, you need to sarcifice animation and Im all for it. Unless you love to look at generic uninteresting art style with same old color palette.
Jan 10, 2020 2:14 PM
Dec 2017
Also, the directing is amazing. The smooth transition and the flow of situation, it's fantastic.
Jan 10, 2020 2:16 PM
Dec 2017
I believe it is thanks to Yasuhiro Nakanishi for making such smooth transition? Idk but I want to now who idea is it to make those good transition like manga panel style into anime.
Jan 10, 2020 2:19 PM
Oct 2018
People going into this thinking it’s all cutsey are gonna be smacked in the face when they start finding out the truths behind Hanako oof. Ya’ll aren’t ready.

The animatic animation sorta surprised me, but I wanna see how this goes. I loved the colours and style, just like I do the manga. I somewhat worry that maybe all the budget went to this aspect though and not the rest- though part of me thinks this is also just a directional choice given the heavy use of manga panel transitions- maybe they wanted to go with something unique from your usual stuff? I can grow to love it though if it’s intentional and not just the studio being lazy- I really hope this isn’t one of those “studio saw that the manga had an opening arc that was kinda like a shoujo arc so we’ll just give it the shoujo animw treatment since girls don’t care” situations as many studios are guilty of that and Hanako kun is so much more than a cliche shoujo, theres a big reason it has a cult following and especially in later arcs, it’s more of a shounen with elements of Seinen than anything. Theres alot of great shoujo manga that sort of get pounded on because studios don’t think shoujo viewers care- when we really do. So HOPEFULLY- this is just a creative choice and not the former.

I love the op and end, the ending song is actually really fitting and preludes to the darker story elements later on. I think the sound editing for the ost could be a lil too basic at times but nothing too irritating. Hopefully it’s get more interesting as time goes on.

I think the mermaid battle could have been made longer but they may have just been trying to make the first arc go fast so we can get to the good stuff sooner. First arc was never the best arc so I’m okay with that.

Overall though I’m looking forward to next week episode and hoping that by episode 3, it’ll be clear just whether the animation choice was a creative or lazy one (I’m an animation student so I got mixed feelings on it personally rn, on one hands I have come to love many animatic films before, on the other I can imagine my tutor muttering but ill will upon this in my head) For me the deal breaker will be if they butcher the story and I really hope they don’t. The manga is a full on 10/10 , a really creative and unique story (anime only watchers or manga readers that never have seem past the first two arcs really don’t know what they are missing out on because the manga 👌 I’ve read so many manga this past 12 years, but this is a rare one that I actually can’t see the ending a mile off to- I guess what I’m saying is if you aren’t keen on the anime later on, read the manga oof) But if they ruin the story then I’ll head out because Aida Iro really don’t deserve that sort of disrespect.

I sort of went on a tangent there but tldr; I have mild concerns but am still hyped nonetheless- also READ THE MANGA.

Edit: Also wanted to add, I really liked the directing and shots used. I spoke alot about the animatic animation and some concerns bit don’t get me wrong, ep one had plenty of good points in it too.
Jan 10, 2020 3:14 PM
Jul 2018
What an amazing premise! Just one episode and I'm hooked already.
The plot is unique, mysterious and charming, the music is so good (especially the opening) and I love the aesthethic. Can't wait for more.
This season is just wonderful.
Jan 10, 2020 3:15 PM

May 2018
This is definitely the dark horse of the season... this was amazing. The voice acting, artstyle, editing, soundtrack, premise, humour and character design... everything is just completely polished and perfect!

Jan 10, 2020 4:24 PM

Jul 2016
This anime was one I was looking forward to, mostly because of how much it was hyped up in my friend group.
What I love most about this anime is the art. It is so unique. The colors really set up scenes and provide an exciting, visual experience and the character designs are uber cute! However, I am still on the fence about the animation itself. I am guessing it must be more difficult to animate in this style.

I wished that the fight with the mermaid was a tad longer. I am assuming that this isn't the last we see of them. I like where this anime is going though.
Jan 10, 2020 4:46 PM
Saber Devotee

Jun 2015
Wow, I actually like everything about this one :O
Character design, art direction, humour... it all fits perfectly together.

"Yashiro, you naughty daikon!" best line ever.

Jan 10, 2020 5:01 PM

Sep 2018
The characters and art background is so cuteeeee! This show have similarities with Momokuri and Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, cute with spooky background (not scary)
Jan 10, 2020 5:56 PM
flower boy

Jun 2013
very confused as to why anyone is complaining abt this in comparison to the manga.. they seemed almost identical to me ! the animation also didn't feel lacking despite the limited movement--probably because of the gorgeous art. i just hope this series doesn't get too rushed ;w;
Jan 10, 2020 6:03 PM

Jun 2019
Guys, can i watch this show via microsoft powerpoint?

Super super big face palm to starting my decade.

Actually i will give this show a 5/10 for terrible animation yet still love their art and love their voice.

But as a manga reader, i give this 7/10 for now. Hope this will be better at the end.
Jan 10, 2020 6:07 PM

May 2008
i really enjoyed the manga, i was looking forward to this but the first episode was disappointing

the animation wasnt good, i dont like hanakos voice, the jokes didnt work as well as they did in the manga and the opening was boring

Jan 10, 2020 6:22 PM

Jun 2012
nabuka said:
i really enjoyed the manga, i was looking forward to this but the first episode was disappointing

the animation wasnt good, i dont like hanakos voice, the jokes didnt work as well as they did in the manga and the opening was boring

This.

The fight scene was really underwhelming, with a lot of still frames... almost the whole episode was like that
Jan 10, 2020 6:29 PM
Feb 2019
Love the art style. It looks so refreshing
Jan 10, 2020 8:33 PM

Aug 2015
I have such a weird feeling.

Obviously the animation itself is pretty mediocre, but the artstyle is so good that it makes it work for me. Even the fight with a lot of "freeze" frames felt like I was looking at a tale, rather than just a regular anime. Btw Hanako sounds strange. I don't think is the voice itself, but how is balanced with the general audio. It does not seem to fit at all.

And the story seems interesting I will say.
Jan 10, 2020 9:22 PM

Nov 2019
Imo this is how NOT to make a genderbend, such a random ass pointless and meaningless way to genderbend, like why make Hanako a guy smh

Worst start an anime could pull ever

1/10

On a positive note, I might like the romance after that ending, but with that op it looks like it might not be fully heterosexual, I see yaoi-bait for cheap laughs
Jan 10, 2020 9:28 PM

Mar 2018
Very good first episode impression. I didn't know anything about this show (didn't even read the summary) and just entered blindly but got a pleasant surprise. Artstyle is very unique and amazing. The story also has a nice mix of romance, comedy, supernatural and somewhat dark tone. The 2nd most anticipated show behind MagiReco for me this season right now.

And that senpai who rejected Nene has shit taste in girls. Her "daikon" legs are very cute to me lol

Jan 11, 2020 12:07 AM
Dec 2019
The art style is what pulled me into the show and wow, after only seeing the cover I gotta say I like the art style. This and Somali are looking pretty promising
Jan 11, 2020 12:16 AM

Feb 2019
Yea this is gas for sure, never heard of the manga but the art style is gorgeous and the show is fun, I'm digging it, plot kinda lost me halfway through but I enjoyed it
Jan 11, 2020 2:03 AM

Jul 2019
i don't know why but i really like the art style and honestly i really liked this first ep, i do hope we will get some decent fights with good animations but in general i like mystery and supernatural stuff so this seems promising 8/10 for the first ep imo
Jan 11, 2020 2:40 AM

Oct 2008
Who is the OST music composer staff for this show?...kinda good huh...
i hope this show doesn't disappoint considering it's from Lerche...
4/5.

Jan 11, 2020 3:03 AM

Oct 2019
I have to say I am surprised!!
I didn't expect to like this so much as it doesn't seem like my cup of tea but I was wrong!!
First of all this anime is so pleasing to look at, the artstyle the colors, everything!!
I could easily rewatch the episode just for that
Some said that the animation is limited but I didn't mind that, It seems like it fits with the art style very well to me
I also didn't expect the story to be like that.
I can see it becoming more serious down the line and showing other sides besides comedy and I also didn't expect it to have romance at all but if it does go there it's FINE by me ( I love romance)
I really liked the characters as well especially hanako!!
Jan 11, 2020 4:31 AM

Jun 2017
I liked, it's pretty fun so far. I didn't think I'd hear cool Yugi (from Season 0) as Hanako though, that's just genius!
Jan 11, 2020 4:44 AM

Jul 2014
IM FANGIRLING RIGHT NOW! Hanako-kun being animated 😍😍😍😍
Did not expect them to nail the art, i m really addicted to jibaku shounen's art
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Jan 11, 2020 5:27 AM
Jul 2019
I really liked the atmosphere of it. Very nice.
Jan 11, 2020 7:42 AM
Oct 2018
YggdraSEED said:
Imo this is how NOT to make a genderbend, such a random ass pointless and meaningless way to genderbend, like why make Hanako a guy smh

Worst start an anime could pull ever

1/10

On a positive note, I might like the romance after that ending, but with that op it looks like it might not be fully heterosexual, I see yaoi-bait for cheap laughs

I feel like you low key went into this thinking it’s be a yuri/shoujo ai and was very disappointed. There’s a reason why the Hanako for this school in particular is a dude tho.

And there is a somewhat pairing later on where it’s naturally implied there may be more there but we aren’t really far enough in their relationship to confirm anything. Since these are all kids tho, I doubt we’ll get any actual potential relationships or confirmation of feelings of characters till the end. I stan that the one character (not spoiling who) is defo bi and I think so does the rest of the Hanako fandom.

The op bait you are talking of is a recreation of the one manga chapter cover tho and there’s bigger meanings behind it than “haha yaoi bait”.

You don’t have to like this or watch it, but what I will say is maybe see what you think of the next ep or two. The anime community has a three episode rule- which is why you aren’t gonna see any big name reviewers on this until ep three is out. As a manga reader I love the story, I’m just hoping the anime doesn’t butcher the story ;;
Jan 11, 2020 7:54 AM

Apr 2018
This is pretty interesting. At first I thought Hanako would be a trap lmao. Art style is pretty cute too
Jan 11, 2020 9:20 AM

Sep 2019
Lerche are gods for this one
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2020

124 by Inacio0101 »»
Apr 21, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Does the recently Aired spin off covered the missing parts of manga ? Or different story

chukesh007 - Jan 29

3 by emirw »»
Jan 30, 4:36 PM

» Can i get a song list

dicloflom - Dec 28, 2023

7 by dicloflom »»
Jan 12, 5:52 AM

Poll: » Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

139 by luviendsol »»
Dec 23, 2023 2:07 PM

Poll: » Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2020

54 by WELLERM »»
Dec 17, 2023 12:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.