Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 1, 2020 4:27 AM

Nov 2016
Like holy shit, I just started watching Gantz and the characters all feel so real compared to the shitload of Shounen I've watched (go figure they all fit one stereotype of altruism). Like god damn Kei is the most realistic person I've seen perverted teenager, doesn't want to be hero unless it benefits him, watches out for himself only but his conscious gets the better of him sometimes and he helps even if he doesn't want to. I thought anti-heroes were the most relatable people but this man is the most chaotic neutral person I've seen.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Jan 1, 2020 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
Recency effect will lead me to mention Thorfinn from Vinland Saga. Lots of people don't like him but I feel that
Jan 1, 2020 4:44 AM

Apr 2019
When it comes to "real characters", nothing can hold a candle to the Josei genre. I'm saying this as a guy. The characters in some series feel like actual people you could live next door to, e.g. Hachimitsu to Clover and most of all, Nana. Others casts are a little more like VIPs and actors, still feel like actual humans and not cartoons, e.g. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

All three anime are among the best ever made, give one of them a try to find out why.

Jan 1, 2020 4:49 AM

Mar 2019
I watch Shounen: DB, MHA, KnY, Dr.S, TPN, and more, but I think all characters in Hunter×Hunter are the most real to me. They just felt like real life people became anime characters. They have desires and very real personalities and all of them have a little bit of selfish side, just like all humans. And the world of H×H is also the most real to me. There are real life problems like complicated politics, corruption, money runs the world and more
Jan 1, 2020 5:04 AM
Feb 2019
In School Days, the teenagers honestly seemed like they could be real people. They all had their own problems and they all tried to act against it in their own way or try to accept it, not what everyone would consider the right choice. The anime surely made me hate the characters, but I also understood them.
Jan 1, 2020 5:24 AM

Nov 2010
Realistic characters can be seen in the following anime shows and so on.
Hotaru no Haka
Koe no Katachi
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku

I didn't take your taste into account.
Jan 1, 2020 5:45 AM

May 2018
Nana,Showa Rakugo,those are anime where characters are realistic.
Jan 1, 2020 7:49 AM

Feb 2019
Rei kiriyama and tomoko kuroki are the realest anime characters.
Jan 1, 2020 7:51 AM
Apr 2018
Shinji is the most realistic character ever. You can see this easily.
Jan 2, 2020 2:35 PM

Aug 2019
everyone from paranoia agent. nge did a great and realistic approach to how people react and act differently from trauma.

also in a weird way houseki no kuni? it's hard to explain one of the most realistic adaptations of immortality yet it's so subtle yet so important (especially in the manga)

i though gakkou gurashi and o maidens in your savage season was also pretty realistic.

beastars also did a great way of writing complex and deep characters yet tying it in so well with the whole animal part
Jan 2, 2020 7:48 PM

Sep 2018
Characters from Koe no Katachi felt pretty real I guess.
Also from Monster
Maybe Welcome to NHK
Jan 2, 2020 7:52 PM

Nov 2008
Genshiken cast. Just a bunch of college nerds watching anime. xD

Jan 2, 2020 8:07 PM

Nov 2007
Hibike! Euphonium
3-gatsu no Lion
Uchuu Kyoudai
Ping Pong the Animation
Tsuki ga Kirei
Cross Game
Gin no Saji
Just Because
Hachimitsu to Clover
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
Koe no Katachi

MC's from these from the top of the head.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 3, 2020 4:40 PM

Oct 2019
Re:Zero Subaru reacts to the situation pretty realistically I think already mentioned but a silent voice also does a good job of this
Jan 3, 2020 4:49 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Kirito from Sword Art Online, Ayato from Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, Tatsuya from Mahouka

Jan 3, 2020 4:56 PM

Nov 2019
Kakeru from Orange (along with the rest of the cast) came across as genuine.
Jan 3, 2020 5:13 PM

Dec 2019
Well, historical anime are going to have somewhat realistic characters at least. I think the characters of Nobunaga no Yabou came off as very realistic and real people, albeit they made Nobunaga too good a guy. It does make sense in the story of the anime.

I feel like black lagoon also. Everyone is dysfunctional in some way yet they still find a time and place to smile and have fun. They are unrealistically good fighters but that's about it(You can't expect me to believe that a gun fight could be so one-sided)

3-gatsu no Lion also. The characters are very humane. Has flaws, has good points, energetic, yet at the same time meek and quiet. They read the mood, their behavior adapts to the situation. They have egos, soe more than others. Everyone is very nuanced. Though the best shogi player they have may come of as more fantastical, weirdos still exist in the real world.

Uchuu Kyoudai has very reaistic characters as well. What makes characters not seem realistic IMO is when everything is very linear, and oh suddenly they've changed completely. Uchuu Kyoudai's characters go through ups and downs, yet they always try to put their best foot forward and make it seem like theyre always on the up trajectory.
Jan 3, 2020 5:20 PM

Oct 2019
legoshi from beastars felt real personality wise with me.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jan 3, 2020 5:32 PM

Aug 2019
The characters in Koi Kaze, especially the girl.
Jan 3, 2020 6:11 PM

Sep 2017
Literally any character from 3-gatsu no Lion and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, I'd say
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu is also pretty good at portraying realistic characters

There's a lot of good and "real" anime characters though, it's actually quite common even in the slice of life genre. Just look after the anime with well-written characters, no matter what their genre are
Jan 4, 2020 4:40 AM

Apr 2010
I think Shinji and Asuka from Eva are very realistic characters. Both are teenegers both have psychologycal trauma ir various aspects both have no proper parents and were left to copy with their own problems alone. One just shut in himself and another one tried to hide from ''I am special child'' mask
Jan 4, 2020 4:47 AM
Jul 2018
Manaban said:
Kirito from Sword Art Online, Ayato from Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, Tatsuya from Mahouka

Za realest nibbas up in the flippin' game. Ayato is totes daddy material and his rich backstory, deep characterization and groundbreaking development makes the best boy, the best girl and the best character in human's history. Guts, Spike and other spineless wimps can't come even close!
Jan 4, 2020 5:05 AM
Jul 2018
Kiritsugu Emiya and Maiya Hisau from Fate / Zero from the top of my head. Because they didn't have any supernatural powers or anything and they went through some real shit and became cold. I can relate. I didn't become a contract killer or anything though. I joined the military because I wanted to prevent something like 9/11 happening in the UK and I wanted to get away from my gang ridden neighbourhood and I wanted a career that I could be proud of.

In the end I left the military even colder than when I joined. My fault for being too naive and outgoing I guess (like how I am on MAL I never fucking learn).
Jan 4, 2020 5:24 AM
Apr 2016
Commander Erwin from Shingeki no Kyojin is quite a realistic character, he encompasses all those aspirations humans and males, respectively, have throughout their strange and questionable lives.
FlowersInTheRain said:
I joined the military because I wanted to prevent something like 9/11 happening in the UK and I wanted to get away from my gang ridden neighbourhood and I wanted a career that I could be proud of.

In the end I left the military even colder than when I joined. My fault for being too naive and outgoing I guess (like how I am on MAL I never fucking learn).

Quite a pathetic story. But do not be discouraged,for almost every person quitting military in modern times feels the same. It comes with the aspirations.
Daniel_NaumovJan 4, 2020 5:27 AM
Re:formed
Jan 4, 2020 5:35 AM
Jul 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
Commander Erwin from Shingeki no Kyojin is quite a realistic character, he encompasses all those aspirations humans and males, respectively, have throughout their strange and questionable lives.
FlowersInTheRain said:
I joined the military because I wanted to prevent something like 9/11 happening in the UK and I wanted to get away from my gang ridden neighbourhood and I wanted a career that I could be proud of.

Quite a pathetic story. But do not be discouraged,for almost every person quitting military in modern times feels the same. It comes with the aspirations.

I highly doubt those other people who left the military went through what I went through.
Jan 4, 2020 5:43 AM
Apr 2016
FlowersInTheRain said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I highly doubt those other people who left the military went through what I went through.

Chronologically? Maybe not. Mentally and self-image wise? This is not something unique. Just real.
Re:formed
Jan 4, 2020 5:49 AM

Dec 2018
Umaru, I think that the show was made to show how relatable she is.

Jan 4, 2020 6:04 AM

Nov 2019
Kyouko, from 3-Gatsu no Lion, is the real life embodiment of a tsundere. To me she's by far the most interesting character in the show, even if she's also the most unlikable.
The way the show presents her violence is very realistic instead of the typical kick someone into the sky because he said something funny.

I remember the scene where she first snaps as a kid. She was (justly) grounded by her father for beating Rei after losing a game. She stands in the garden for the night, her father behind her, humiliating her even more by praising his adopted son in her place. I could feel the resentment growing and growing with every word and look. Innocently, Rei looks out of his bedroom window to check on her. From his point of view you can tell he means no harm. From hers, you can see him arrogantly taunting her. She just sees red and snaps.

Every scene with her is just close to perfection. Coming into his bed after all that, spooning him but telling him not to touch her. Fucking her father's rival/colleague and just standing there while watching him beat up Rei. Trying to destabilize Rei so that he goes back (to her) home while still relying on him to help her in her downturns. ...

She's just a plain mess.
Jan 4, 2020 6:06 AM
Jul 2018
Yukinoshita is "perfect" yet realistic. She doesn't think she's perfect. She KNOWS she's perfect. And as someone who strives for perfection, while being fully awere it is unatteinable, yet never gives up on acheiving it. I can relate to her, Asuna and Asuka on a spiritual level. Not only to their personalities but also to their spirits and grace. Such marvelous women I have as rolemodels. Have I mentioned that I'm totes husbando material just like they're all waifu material!
Jan 4, 2020 8:59 AM

Oct 2018
I know a lot people seems to hate shinji but he's really realistic, I only kinda didn't like him in the movie but other than that he's great.
Jan 4, 2020 1:03 PM

Jul 2019
Yoshikage Kira from JoJo and Legosi form beastars

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 36 minutes ago

3 by TeBaTe »»
13 seconds ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

22 by DigiCat »»
46 seconds ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

32 by mentalmondai »»
2 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 45 minutes ago

8 by ShatteredSans »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 1 hour ago

13 by -YaoiBoy- »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.